PDA

View Full Version : Who to drop

at last 61
28-10-2021, 01:23 PM
For me start with macey he was slow to get down for their 2nd goal the same as at the weekend, gogic is just mince gies away so many fouls and Nisbet definitely needs to be dropped, for example the lead up to the 3rd goal when he loses the ball and doesn't try to put in a tackle just let's the player run past him

Jones28
28-10-2021, 01:26 PM
Macey is the least of our problems, he kept us within a sniff of them last night.

eastterrace
28-10-2021, 01:27 PM
For me start with macey he was slow to get down for their 2nd goal the same as at the weekend, gogic is just mince gies away so many fouls and Nisbet definitely needs to be dropped, for example the lead up to the 3rd goal when he loses the ball and doesn't try to put in a tackle just let's the player run past him
Agree with your three . Macey doesn’t do it for me so time to give dabroski a chance.

CMurdoch
28-10-2021, 01:29 PM
I reckon Gogic finally cooked his goose with Ross last night.
Will be chatting with Daz on match days from now on in.
Unlikely to play for Hibs again.
Contract ends this season.
Livingston bound or similar.

Key West
28-10-2021, 01:35 PM
For whatever reason Kevin Nisbet is a shadow of the player he threatened to be and Jamie Gullan deserves a chance with a run of games. You could argue that James Scott should be playing otherwise what was the point of bringing him to Hibs.

Bayern Bru
28-10-2021, 01:38 PM
For whatever reason Kevin Nisbet is a shadow of the player he threatened to be and Jamie Gullan deserves a chance with a run of games. You could argue that James Scott should be playing otherwise what was the point of bringing him to Hibs.

Scott won't play until he's fitter, according to Ross (https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-boss-jack-ross-reveals-reason-for-james-scott-absence-as-he-sends-message-to-on-loan-hull-city-forward-3435933).

Key West
28-10-2021, 01:38 PM
Scott won't play until he's fitter, according to Ross (https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-boss-jack-ross-reveals-reason-for-james-scott-absence-as-he-sends-message-to-on-loan-hull-city-forward-3435933).

Fair enough.

Stuart93
28-10-2021, 01:47 PM

An absolute embarrassment for a 21 year auld laddie

Iain G
28-10-2021, 01:53 PM

Drop the Pilot? Try my balloon 🤷🤣

The 90+2
28-10-2021, 02:03 PM
Josh Doig - the most over rated player I've ever seen come through. £4-5m in comparison to the likes of David Murphy? people are having a laugh, surely?

Get Lewis back in at LB and keep it tight at the back.

The 90+2
28-10-2021, 02:04 PM

Decent chippys down Humberside tbf.

You would think fitness would be checked before signing on a 6 month loan (he can be recalled).

Iain G
28-10-2021, 02:12 PM
Josh Doig - the most over rated player I've ever seen come through. £4-5m in comparison to the likes of David Murphy? people are having a laugh, surely?

Very difficult to compare the value of a 19 year old left back with a lot of potential with free transfer Murphy when he arrived at Hibs as we live in a much inflated financial climate in British football now given the increasing riches of the EPL teams and even the money spent in the Championship and League 1. Murphy was a great player for us and Doig could well develop to become a great player for us and make us some good money down the line.

500miles
28-10-2021, 02:14 PM
I'd just drop Campbell into one of the midfield places to support the striker. I think his movement made a big difference and he used his body well.

jacomo
28-10-2021, 02:16 PM
An absolute embarrassment for a 21 year auld laddie

:agree:

Waster.

jeffers
28-10-2021, 02:20 PM

You would think fitness would be checked before signing on a 6 month loan (he can be recalled).

I’m more surprised it’s almost November and only now he’s being dropped to work on his fitness.

.Sean.
28-10-2021, 02:26 PM
That’s an absolute disgrace.

Send him straight back down to Hull - he is complete and utter garbage anyway

Vault Boy
28-10-2021, 02:35 PM
I don't really have any issue with Macey, but sometimes freshening up a struggling side is the way to go - ideally up front, but Campbell has earned a chance in the middle, and I would like to see if Dabrowski has got what it takes.

I'm somewhat surprised we aren't seeing more of the higher prospect youth players drafted in already to be honest.

Brightside
28-10-2021, 02:36 PM

He was one of the better performers last night.

jacomo
28-10-2021, 02:36 PM

Nothing beats an Edinburgh chippy. This may be where the problem lies…

Smartie
28-10-2021, 02:39 PM
I'm not going to defend Scott here - I think he's looked pish since the first moment he took to the field for us - but he is coming back from a serious injury. It might be that he's having a Kyle Magennis type of recovery which involves this season being a slow meander back to fitness before bursting back after a pre-season next season.

Obviously this is no use to us and good on Jack for not tolerating it but I'll go easy on the chippy and "disgrace for a 21 year old" talk just in case there's a bit more to it.

MrRobot
28-10-2021, 02:44 PM
I'm not going to defend Scott here - I think he's looked pish since the first moment he took to the field for us - but he is coming back from a serious injury. It might be that he's having a Kyle Magennis type of recovery which involves this season being a slow meander back to fitness before bursting back after a pre-season next season.

Obviously this is no use to us and good on Jack for not tolerating it but I'll go easy on the chippy and "disgrace for a 21 year old" talk just in case there's a bit more to it.

The difference though is that Magennis had reoccurring injuries which is why his season was disjointed; James is actually available but simply isn’t fit, which isn’t good enough.

Tyler Durden
28-10-2021, 02:45 PM

Probably our best player last night. Lewis came in at the weekend and was at fault for Aberdeen's goal. He's nowhere near Doig's level at moment.

cabbageandribs1875
28-10-2021, 02:46 PM

i,as most others did, thought he had a great game on his debut at Dundee(i think it was) since then however...well

Booked4Being-Ugly
28-10-2021, 02:49 PM

We needed someone to come in and hit the ground running otherwise there was no point.

Seemed like he was a desperation signing at the time but god knows what’s going on at Hibs and why we never checked his fitness out at the time.

Hopefully we can send him back in Jan.

Smartie
28-10-2021, 02:50 PM
The difference though is that Magennis had reoccurring injuries which is why his season was disjointed; James is actually available but simply isn’t fit, which isn’t good enough.

There are different levels of "fit" though.

He might be fit enough not to break down again but short of being fit enough to contribute at a competitive sport at a high level.

I don't know enough about his injury and the recuperation process but I know it can sometimes be complicated - sometimes other forms of fitness can go backwards whilst an injury heals (although you'd expect a fairly big club like Hull to be on top of maintaining players worth a fortune).

If Jack Ross had said he was "fat" maybe it would be a different story...

Pretty Boy
28-10-2021, 02:53 PM
Given the injury Scott had his fitness was always going to be an issue. We have already witnessed with Magennis the huge difference between being fit and being match fit.

The decision to sign him was folly. We needed someone to hit the ground running, maybe chip in with a few goals and to fill the role Doidge does so well. We got a guy who is recovering from injury, has a poor scoring record and is absolutely nothing like Doidge. Of course the player has a responsibility to keep himself in shape but we shouldn't be relying on someone like that.

I'd give young Campbell a start at the weekend. He was a rare bright spot last night. I'm also keen to see what we have with Dabrowski sooner rather than later, at his age it's close to now or never for him at Hibs. The whole 'baby for a goalkeeper' argument just doesn't wash anymore, if keepers are good enough, they are old enough these days. I accept I am in a small minority with Macey but I just don't feel particularly confident with him in goals. Yes he was very good against Hearts but his distribution is utterly atrocious for a top flight goalkeeper, it was never a strong point for Marciano but Macey makes him look like Ederson with the ball at his feet. There's been a couple of goals lately where I have felt he might have done a bit better and the 2nd last night is just an out and out mistake.

Finally I'll be quite happy if Gogic sees out his contract and moves on. If we want a midfield spoiler we need better than him. After a striker and a CB it would be the next thing I would be addressing in January. He's miles off it.

erin go bragh
28-10-2021, 02:55 PM
Macey saved us from a first half drubbing . Nisbet needs Doidge back asap and we will see him back to his best . Celtic will win the league at a canter imo . Definitely the best side we have faced this season.

Since452
28-10-2021, 03:08 PM
Macey saved us from a first half drubbing . Nisbet needs Doidge back asap and we will see him back to his best . Celtic will win the league at a canter imo . Definitely the best side we have faced this season.

Agree about Celtic. Very impressed with them last night.

Peevemor
28-10-2021, 03:11 PM
Agree about Celtic. Very impressed with them last night.

I said the same - that's as good as I've seen them in a long time.

I think they'll win the league and if they sort out their defending they'll do it with a few weekends to spare.

B.H.F.C
28-10-2021, 03:17 PM
There isn’t a single player who could complain about being dropped. Maybe with the exception of Boyle but he looked absolutely done in last night, mainly because we’re so reliant on him IMO.

heretoday
28-10-2021, 03:17 PM
Drop Hanlon.

Squealing pig
28-10-2021, 03:18 PM
I reckon Gogic finally cooked his goose with Ross last night.
Will be chatting with Daz on match days from now on in.
Unlikely to play for Hibs again.
Contract ends this season.
Livingston bound or similar.

Unusual for a hibs player to not play spectacular on last year of contract

loanheadhibby
28-10-2021, 03:21 PM

Josh Doig is our future although I tend to agree he has been over rated by some.
Lewis has had his day, time to move on from the likes of him and Paul Hanlon.

Franck Stanton
28-10-2021, 03:22 PM
Nisbet needs dropped, don't care who for, in fact, you could pick a supporter out of the East & get more effort.
Gogic , not good enough
Newall, skilful when we are winning, invisible when chasing a game.

wookie70
28-10-2021, 03:23 PM
Probably our best player last night. Lewis came in at the weekend and was at fault for Aberdeen's goal. He's nowhere near Doig's level at moment.

Was he to blame, the cross certainly came in but it was cut back so not an easy one to defend especially when you have raced back from making a forward run. Fullbacks will never block every cross and I would be looking to see why their top scorer is standing in yards of space before pointing the finger at Lewis. His passing on Saturday was streets ahead of Doigs and I think Lewis is well worth a few games if not just to change things up.

Smartie
28-10-2021, 03:25 PM
I said the same - that's as good as I've seen them in a long time.

I think they'll win the league and if they sort out their defending they'll do it with a few weekends to spare.

When you take into consideration how poor they were at the start of the season, they're definitely going in the right direction, getting better. They look to have bought well and will probably do so again in January.

Rangers look to have possibly peaked at some point over the past couple of seasons. Will they get much better from here? I don't think so. They've also got the nervous Ibrox getting on the players' backs to look forward to.

Although if Rangers keep getting the big decisions going their way, as they have in their past 3 games at home, then it's hard to see what anyone can do to beat them.

Smartie
28-10-2021, 03:31 PM
Was he to blame, the cross certainly came in but it was cut back so not an easy one to defend especially when you have raced back from making a forward run. Fullbacks will never block every cross and I would be looking to see why their top scorer is standing in yards of space before pointing the finger at Lewis. His passing on Saturday was streets ahead of Doigs and I think Lewis is well worth a few games if not just to change things up.

Lewis has actually had a very good season when called upon but I thought Doig came onto a decent game last night against a very difficult opponent.

I almost find myself trying to find a formation that allows us to play the pair of them.

hibsbollah
28-10-2021, 03:36 PM
Given the injury Scott had his fitness was always going to be an issue. We have already witnessed with Magennis the huge difference between being fit and being match fit.

The decision to sign him was folly. We needed someone to hit the ground running, maybe chip in with a few goals and to fill the role Doidge does so well. We got a guy who is recovering from injury, has a poor scoring record and is absolutely nothing like Doidge. Of course the player has a responsibility to keep himself in shape but we shouldn't be relying on someone like that.

I'd give young Campbell a start at the weekend. He was a rare bright spot last night. I'm also keen to see what we have with Dabrowski sooner rather than later, at his age it's close to now or never for him at Hibs. The whole 'baby for a goalkeeper' argument just doesn't wash anymore, if keepers are good enough, they are old enough these days. I accept I am in a small minority with Macey but I just don't feel particularly confident with him in goals. Yes he was very good against Hearts but his distribution is utterly atrocious for a top flight goalkeeper, it was never a strong point for Marciano but Macey makes him look like Ederson with the ball at his feet. There's been a couple of goals lately where I have felt he might have done a bit better and the 2nd last night is just an out and out mistake.

Finally I'll be quite happy if Gogic sees out his contract and moves on. If we want a midfield spoiler we need better than him. After a striker and a CB it would be the next thing I would be addressing in January. He's miles off it.

I totally disagree with you about Macey but I also think you’re not in the minority in doubting him, I read it a lot on here, some of the serial doubters were on after the second goal last night. I just think hes done way more good than bad since he’s been here, and the continuing focus on him puzzles me a bit.

Peevemor
28-10-2021, 03:42 PM
I totally disagree with you about Macey but I also think you’re not in the minority in doubting him, I read it a lot on here, some of the serial doubters were on after the second goal last night. I just think hes done way more good than bad since he’s been here, and the continuing focus on him puzzles me a bit.

I think it's because he makes good saves look easy and run of the mill. The superman dives that Rocky sometimes favoured don't interest him. Even when he parries a save he generally sends it in the right direction and a decent distance from goal - something Rocky didn't always manage.

Macey's distribution (kicking) could be better, but Rocky's was at least as bad.

jacomo
28-10-2021, 03:43 PM
There are different levels of "fit" though.

He might be fit enough not to break down again but short of being fit enough to contribute at a competitive sport at a high level.

I don't know enough about his injury and the recuperation process but I know it can sometimes be complicated - sometimes other forms of fitness can go backwards whilst an injury heals (although you'd expect a fairly big club like Hull to be on top of maintaining players worth a fortune).

If Jack Ross had said he was "fat" maybe it would be a different story...

I don’t think it takes too much to read the frustration from Jack here. Saying he’s available but not fit enough to make the bench is quietly damning.

A lot of Hibs fans would prefer our manager to be more direct in public, and I get that. He is who he is though, and unlikely to say much more… but it’s very frustrating.

keep the faith
28-10-2021, 03:46 PM
Apologies if already covered but was Scott Allan injured? Ross said he lacked bodies middle to front yet the most obvious player in that position was not in the squad.
Surely he didn't drop him completely??

Libby Hibby
28-10-2021, 07:44 PM
Drop Hanlon.

Now there’s a fresh idea…I like it

LaMotta
28-10-2021, 08:20 PM
i,as most others did, thought he had a great game on his debut at Dundee(i think it was) since then however...well

Did many people really think Scott had a great debut at Dens? He didn't do much wrong, but didn't really influence the game at all.

I think on some occasions people's eye deceive them when players make their early appearances for us as they are (understandably) excited about the prospect of a new signing. Similar happened with Slivka when people were absolutely raving about some of his early performances, despite them being pretty average.

Step up also Abdul Zarabi, Victor Pallson and Pa Kujabi.:dizzy:

The Modfather
28-10-2021, 08:26 PM
Think it’s time to get runners and grafters in, in the short term, to steady the slide. I’d have Gullan for Murphy, Campbell for Newell and maybe Wright but not sure who for. 3 players not good enough IMO but possibly improve us through sheer effort and work rate.

I’d also have Laidlaw and/or O’Connor on the bench. Other teams manage to introduce players of a similar age. The current crisis and lack of options is tailor made for some youthful exuberance from highly rated youngsters.

HoboHarry
28-10-2021, 08:29 PM
Drop the Pilot? Try my balloon ����

If you lose that pilot I can fly your plane.....

cabbageandribs1875
28-10-2021, 08:43 PM
Did many people really think Scott had a great debut at Dens? He didn't do much wrong, but didn't really influence the game at all.

I think on some occasions people's eye deceive them when players make their early appearances for us as they are (understandably) excited about the prospect of a new signing. Similar happened with Slivka when people were absolutely raving about some of his early performances, despite them being pretty average.

Step up also Abdul Zarabi, Victor Pallson and Pa Kujabi.:dizzy:

the match thread for game v Dundee is on page 15 i was going to have a look but didn't fancy going through 32 pages :( but johnnyboy gave him good marks on the 'this is how i feel' (i think it's called) thread, i remember jackson irvine had a good game for us on his debut,considering he had been without a club for several months iirc.

LaMotta
28-10-2021, 08:55 PM
the match thread for game v Dundee is on page 15 i was going to have a look but didn't fancy going through 32 pages :( but johnnyboy gave him good marks on the 'this is how i feel' (i think it's called) thread, i remember jackson irvine had a good game for us on his debut,considering he had been without a club for several months iirc.

Fair enough mate - I certainly wouldn't say Scott had a great debut though!

I think a lot of people were seduced early on by Jackson Irvine's tattoos, moustache and long hair combo - he had some decent games against lesser opposition, but never really hit the heights in the big games.

Peevemor
28-10-2021, 09:01 PM
Fair enough mate - I certainly wouldn't say Scott had a great debut though!

I think a lot of people were seduced early on by Jackson Irvine's tattoos, moustache and long hair combo - he had some decent games against lesser opposition, but never really hit the heights in the big games.Scott was very busy on his debut, showed for the ball and got himself in the right places. His touch and passing was a bit off but we (mostly) thought that would come with match practice. Unfortunately he hasn't kicked on.

Irvine had a great debut especially given the length of time he'd gone without a game. However he quickly settled into a rhythm of contributing less.

28-10-2021, 09:05 PM
Apologies if already covered but was Scott Allan injured? Ross said he lacked bodies middle to front yet the most obvious player in that position was not in the squad.
Surely he didn't drop him completely??

Illness. JR said he probably wouldn't be available for Saturday either.

LaMotta
28-10-2021, 09:06 PM
Scott was very busy on his debut, showed for the ball and got himself in the right places. His touch and passing was a bit off but we (mostly) thought that would come with match practice. Unfortunately he hasn't kicked on.

Irvine had a great debut especially given the length of time he'd gone without a game. However he quickly settled into a rhythm of contributing less.

I would agree with your description of Scott's debut as very busy - it's the least you'd expect from someone trying to make an impression at a new club I suppose.

mcohibs
28-10-2021, 09:49 PM
Drop Hanlon.

As opposed to our other centre half who lost his man for two goals last night and didn't stop the square ball for the third?

hibee-boys
28-10-2021, 09:51 PM
I would agree with your description of Scott's debut as very busy - it's the least you'd expect from someone trying to make an impression at a new club I suppose.

I’m confused, he played when he first arrived….are they saying his fitness levels have dropped the time he’s been here? Surely he’s ‘fit’ enough to have on the bench🤷🏼

AZhibee
29-10-2021, 01:22 AM
I don’t feel there is anyone to put out there that will have significant effect (except Doidge who isn’t available). That being said I vote to drop Nisbet and give Gullan his shot.

Viva_Palmeiras
29-10-2021, 01:31 AM

Well I suppose someone had to be.
And what does that mean anyway - it’s not as if the laddieslapped a price in his own head rightly or wrongly folks will have their own views no?

Allant1981
29-10-2021, 05:05 AM
Think it’s time to get runners and grafters in, in the short term, to steady the slide. I’d have Gullan for Murphy, Campbell for Newell and maybe Wright but not sure who for. 3 players not good enough IMO but possibly improve us through sheer effort and work rate.

I’d also have Laidlaw and/or O’Connor on the bench. Other teams manage to introduce players of a similar age. The current crisis and lack of options is tailor made for some youthful exuberance from highly rated youngsters.

Swap players for the ones you suggest and we have even less chance of winning a game

JimBHibees
29-10-2021, 05:54 AM
There isn’t a single player who could complain about being dropped. Maybe with the exception of Boyle but he looked absolutely done in last night, mainly because we’re so reliant on him IMO.

Personally thought Boyle was very good last night and fan himself into the ground. Looked knackered at the end hopefully ok for tomorrow. Would definitely start both Gullan and Campbell and also think I would give Dabrowski a start as have the same concerns as listed above thought it was a blunder with Morelos goal at Ibrox same as goal 2 last night. We need a pick up and brave decisions to shake things up so time to give squad players a go.

FilipinoHibs
29-10-2021, 06:23 AM
Where was Allan on Wednesday night, not even on the bench. Injured or deemed not hard working enough to do the pressing job on Celtic?

Steve88
29-10-2021, 06:27 AM

No idea how this "footballer" passed the medical

Gullan over Scott every time - We should be sending him back to Hull if he's in that state

Brightside
29-10-2021, 06:44 AM
Where was Allan on Wednesday night, not even on the bench. Injured or deemed not hard working enough to do the pressing job on Celtic?

Sick

GoalsMcGinley
29-10-2021, 10:57 AM

Suffering from illness which is code for he’s got Covid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silverhibee
29-10-2021, 12:35 PM

Thought Doig was okay the other night, Macey Hanlon Porteous Gogic Nisbet would have no complaints if they weren’t in the starting 11 tomorrow.

Allant1981
29-10-2021, 03:58 PM
Thought Doig was okay the other night, Macey Hanlon Porteous Gogic Nisbet would have no complaints if they weren’t in the starting 11 tomorrow.

Think 3 out of the 5 will start, macey, hanlon and porteous

Steve88
30-10-2021, 04:56 PM

The formation. 1 up front is awful

USAHibee
30-10-2021, 10:13 PM

What a poor post, The lads 19 and learning all the time, The lad Jota did nothing against him on Wednesday and he at least tried to get us forward at every chance. Nobody rates him at 4-5 million except Mathie (where's he now)when trying to sell him but let write him off.. some fans nowadays, I despair.