PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Celtic 27 10 21)

Jonnyboy
27-10-2021, 11:02 PM
Mixed emotions tonight. A dreadful first half display in which we conceded three going on six and a second half where we played as we should have from the start of the game. To be fair, Celtic were electric in that first forty five and had our guys chasing shadows, but the fact remains that our tactics appeared to be to invite them on to us and so conceding as we did was no real surprise. Whatever Jack Ross said at half time should have been said at the start of the game as we finally turned up and produced a better quality of football than we have done recently. Had Murphy’s effort beaten Hart in the second half it would have made it 3-2 and perhaps Celtic may have panicked – or perhaps that’s just wishful thinking on my part.

Changes were made to our starting eleven with Porteous returning at the back and Gogic drafted in to central midfield with Scott Allan not even on the bench. It became obvious from the outset that Gogic was man marking Rogic whilst Newell tried to keep tabs on McGregor. Both Hibs players failed in their mission, particularly Gogic who was roasted on numerous occasions by Rogic with the Celtic man having a field day in providing openings for his three front men. Those three had a ball running our defence ragged, especially in the wider area with Jota and Johnston giving Doig and McGinn a torrid time of it.

A stupid foul by Gogic allowed Celtic a free kick inside ten minutes and as the ball was delivered by Turnbull to the back post, Ralston rushed in unchallenged to send a header beyond Macey. It looked to me as though McGinn had been left with two men to mark and chose the wrong one to concentrate on. Just sixty seconds later it could and should have been 1-1 when Murphy picked out Newell on the six yard line, but Joe took a touch allowing Hart to block when a first time effort would probably have beaten the Celtic keeper.

The visitors were soon back at it again and passing through our midfield at will and so it was no surprise when Carter-Vickers put his side 2-0 up in the 14th minute. The goal came from a corner and the Hibs defence stood like statues as the Celtic man swept the ball home from a central position. Soon after, Nisbet had an effort blocked but, in reality, all of the action was being played out in the Hibs half. Close to the half hour, Rogic thundered in a shot that Macey did well to divert over the bar, but it wasn’t too long after that that Celtic scored again. Hibs made a hash of trying to clear in the left back area, allowing Jota to casually roll the ball into the path of an unmarked Furuhashi who netted from close range. Furuhashi was prominent again a few minutes later but his effort from eighteen yards was well saved by Macey.

Hibs seemed to wake from their stupor for a few minutes, winning a corner which was delivered by Newell. Porteous and Boyle were close together in competing for the ball and the diminutive Boyle got the last touch to head past Hart and make it 3-1. Right on half time, Rogic went down injured in the Hibs box and was replaced by Nir Bitton. I remember thinking Gogic would be a relieved man but ironically, Gogic was subbed off at half time and replaced by Josh Campbell.

At the half time break I sat thinking that Hibs had done exactly the opposite of what we’d all hoped for. Instead of going at Celtic from the off we were passive throughout, allowed Celtic the freedom to play and in doing so, paid dearly for it. As I said earlier, Celtic were superb at times but our set up and tactics gave them license to be so.

Whatever Jack Ross said at half time should have been said to them at the start of the game because Hibs came out looking hungrier, more confident and showing the fighting spirit missing in the first half. Within a couple of minutes, Campbell sent a header wide as he stooped to make contact with a McGinn cross before Celtic swarmed forward again and in clearing his lines, Porteous robbed McGregor on the edge of the box. It looked a strong but fair challenge, but referee Don Robertson thought otherwise and booked Ryan.

Hibs were playing much better and the home crowd was behind them but Celtic still looked dangerous, especially on the break. A Starfelt header was easily saved by Macey before Porteous steered a header over the bar at the other end. Soon after, Boyle was racing through when McGregor unceremoniously dumped him on his backside, earning a deserved yellow card in the process.

With fifteen minutes left, a lovely pass from Doyle-Hayes released Murphy deep in the Celtic box but Jamie’s strong drive was saved by Hart. Moments later, Nisbet was hooked and replaced by Jamie Gullan whose movement would cause Celtic a degree of concern. At the same time, Murphy was replaced by Drey Wright, and the former St. Johnstone man was involved right away in sending Doig free down the left but not for the first time the young Hibs number 3 was wasteful with his cross.

Porteous and Newell had efforts blocked within a minute of each other before Jota fired wildly over the bar from a good position. With the fourth official holding up the board to indicate a minimum of four minutes to play I thought it interesting that Celtic spent that four minutes winding down the clock.

The booing at the end was, I think, largely out of disappointment with the first half in particular as by and large the home support had been right behind Hibs during the second.

The players

Macey – Had no chance with any of the goals and oddly had very few other efforts that bothered him.

McGinn – I thought Mikey Johnston gave him a torrid time in the first half especially, but he stuck to his task and improved in the second.

Porteous – Voted man of the match by the sponsors I felt they were being very generous as we’d conceded three goals through sloppy defending with the second of those in the area Ryan should have been standing.

Hanlon – Up against three strikers with very quick feet, Paul floundered a bit and was far from his best tonight.

Doig – Josh works his socks off and I felt for him in that first half when Murphy left him to deal with Jota and Ralston on his own. In an attacking sense, his crosses were largely poor in quality.

Boyle – Martin flitted in and out of the game and despite scoring our goal this was not one of his better performances.

Doyle-Hayes – Run ragged in the first half he was much improved in the second and I’m both delighted and relieved to report that he played a good number of forward passes in the second forty five.

Gogic – Taught some expensive lessons by Rogic tonight.

Newell – Joe covered a lot of territory but was let down by his decision making in when to retain and when to pass on the ball.

Murphy - Jamie tried hard enough but was guilty at times of leaving McGinn to mark two men at the back.

Nisbet – I feel sorry for him as he’s left on his own up front so has an excuse for not having shots on goal. What I cannot excuse however is his seeming unwillingness to put in a shift in terms of physical effort.

Campbell – I was very impressed with Josh tonight. He looked calm and composed and not overawed by the occasion. For those reasons and the fact that he caught the eye more than anyone else, he gets my man of the match award.

Wright – The forgotten man did well enough both offensively and defensively and I felt sorry for him when one attempted pass went astray, causing s few groans round about me.

Gullan – Jamie’s movement was excellent and it’s a pity some of his team mates didn’t spot that. One person who did spot that was Nir Bitton who dropped deeper to offer his back four support.

Jack Ross – I sense pressure building from a disgruntled support. Take this second half display and adopt it for the whole game in Dingwall, Jack.

The referee – Don Robertson was very quick to book Porteous but not so quick to book McGregor who had committed a hatful of fouls before Robertson finally took action.

Greenbeard
27-10-2021, 11:23 PM
Spot on JB. Agree re Porto not deserving MoM. Not when at fault for the first two goals. Totally misjudges the ball in the air for the first and is caught napping when Carter-Vickers steals a yard on him for the second.
I was just happy it wasn't six at H-T. Could easily have been.
The 2nd half performance overall was promising but promising is f all use when you go 3-0 down in 30 and we continue to leak goals to simple crosses.

number9dream
27-10-2021, 11:48 PM
What on earth has happened to our defence?
Celtic were impressive in the first half but those goals were all so soft.
Ross & Potter were defenders, albeit not very good ones, surely they should have some ideas on how to deal with set-pieces and crosses.
JDH can consider himself very lucky to get a run out in the second half. He was an absolute passenger before the interval. At least you noticed Gogic because Rogic was showing him up so often...
Hats off to Campbell, who definitely brought something to the table, even if it was just a bit of dig and determination, which should be a given in every bloody game.
Huge game on Saturday. A clean sheet would be most welcome but we need everyone focused and pulling together for 90 minutes for that to happen.

Cod Boy
27-10-2021, 11:50 PM
Murphy should have passed to Boyle who had a tap in.

NAE NOOKIE
28-10-2021, 12:01 AM
Our first half 'performance' was gutless, lethargic and pathetic ... nothing short of an embarrassment in fact.

The second half was much better, though how could it have been worse is anybodies guess. How it took Jack Ross until half time to tell the players to press Celtic at the back with far more intensity is baffling, once we started doing it they had far more bother playing out and they were forced to go long far more than in the first half, what that did for Hibs as an attacking force was there for all to see as we won the ball back and got up the pitch far more often.

That's 4 defeats in a row, ok 2 were against the Uglies, but the other two were a shambles against Dundee Utd and another one against an Aberdeen team who up until then couldn't buy a win. Lose at Ross County and it will be time to ask questions of Jack Ross .... if his team are capable of showing the spirit they did in the second half tonight, where the hell is it the rest of the time?

Tambo
28-10-2021, 05:47 AM
Our first half 'performance' was gutless, lethargic and pathetic ... nothing short of an embarrassment in fact.

The second half was much better, though how could it have been worse is anybodies guess. How it took Jack Ross until half time to tell the players to press Celtic at the back with far more intensity is baffling, once we started doing it they had far more bother playing out and they were forced to go long far more than in the first half, what that did for Hibs as an attacking force was there for all to see as we won the ball back and got up the pitch far more often.

That's 4 defeats in a row, ok 2 were against the Uglies, but the other two were a shambles against Dundee Utd and another one against an Aberdeen team who up until then couldn't buy a win. Lose at Ross County and it will be time to ask questions of Jack Ross .... if his team are capable of showing the spirit they did in the second half tonight, where the hell is it the rest of the time?

That is my concern how it took that first half display to actually play some good football.

I have seen on occasions we can pass the ball around nice and go forward i just don't understand why we don't see it more often and usually start so slow and not bothered.

JimBHibees
28-10-2021, 05:55 AM
That is my concern how it took that first half display to actually play some good football.

I have seen on occasions we can pass the ball around nice and go forward i just don't understand why we don't see it more often and usually start so slow and not bothered.

Agree our last three home games every first half has been awful no energy no one taking the initiative lack of passion and fight.

JimboHibs
28-10-2021, 06:17 AM
Its a regular occurance of Paul Hanlon not one of his better games,Paul was poor to then Paul was a rock for us back to his usual best ? Whats his best if there's a consistent trend of him not having one of his better games.You were saying the same thing about Paul Hanlon in 2018 season,you can't be saying he was a rock as per usual when the previous 3 games were not one of his better games.Its all there in your own assumptions,we've still got players playing for us who were average in 2018.Stop skirting around the issue and call them out for what they are bang average,looking back through the threads there isn't one player who you describe who consistently is performing week after week.To many players are comfortable living on a reputation that was never that great in the first place or lets just say some are so over-hyped on the back of 1 half decent performance out of every 4/5 games.

Crunchie
28-10-2021, 06:39 AM
Its a regular occurance of Paul Hanlon not one of his better games,Paul was poor to then Paul was a rock for us back to his usual best ? Whats his best if there's a consistent trend of him not having one of his better games.You were saying the same thing about Paul Hanlon in 2018 season,you can't be saying he was a rock as per usual when the previous 3 games were not one of his better games.Its all there in your own assumptions,we've still got players playing for us who were average in 2018.Stop skirting around the issue and call them out for what they are bang average,looking back through the threads there isn't one player who you describe who consistently is performing week after week.To many players are comfortable living on a reputation that was never that great in the first place or lets just say some are so over-hyped on the back of 1 half decent performance out of every 4/5 games.
:top marksHe's at the heart of these gutless performances and gives us nothing as a captain, his motivational skills are non existent. Why Ross is being singles out is beyond me when all we need is our so called better players to start manning up and cutting out the basic errors.

BILLYHIBS
28-10-2021, 06:39 AM
Thanks for posting Jonnyboy

I tried to warn that we could not afford another passive display on another thread

We need about six quality additions in January

If JR didn’t feel under pressure before he must now realise that after four defeats on the bounce any credit he had in the bank with the Supporters is now rapidly diminishing

Still trying to work out where the 17500 attendance came from they must be counting ST’s sold surely ?

I know don’t call me Shirley :greengrin

Good report

Well done

easty
28-10-2021, 07:00 AM
Macey absolutely should’ve saved the second. We have to defend it better, of course, Porteous was piss poor, but after that you expect any keeper to keep that out.

Hiber-nation
28-10-2021, 07:27 AM
:top marksHe's at the heart of these gutless performances and gives us nothing as a captain, his motivational skills are non existent. Why Ross is being singles out is beyond me when all we need is our so called better players to start manning up and cutting out the basic errors.

Ross was happy enough to go into the season with Hanlon as captain when it was clear he is nowhere near the player of 3 or 4 years ago and does not lead by example any more.

Blaster
28-10-2021, 07:39 AM
Macey absolutely should’ve saved the second. We have to defend it better, of course, Porteous was piss poor, but after that you expect any keeper to keep that out.

Agree. Thought Macey was slow getting down to it at the game and having seen the goal again on TV he should have got to it.

The Harp Awakes
28-10-2021, 07:56 AM

Bar a few early decent performances, Hibs have been mediocre to poor so far this season. The recruitment has been a shambles and the imbalance in the squad is obvious.

I'm not one of the supporters who has been calling for Ross to go as his over all win record compares well against other Hibs' managers. However, during his tenure the football has not been great to watch, his team failed to turn up in several big Cup games last season and he appears to send his team out like startled rabbits more often than not against Rangers/Celtic.

He's the man at the helm, and he has to take responsibility for the way he sets his team up, their half arsed attitude and poor results. Just as he took the plaudits in finishing 3rd last season.

Brightside
28-10-2021, 07:57 AM
Hanlon was far from the issue last night. He made 20+ interceptions. I realise some think he should be somehow controlling all the players around him. But that’s not how football works. He can’t stop players making individual basic errors.

blackpoolhibs
28-10-2021, 07:59 AM
Hanlon was far from the issue last night. He made 20+ interceptions. I realise some think he should be somehow controlling all the players around him. But that’s not how football works. He can’t stop players making individual basic errors.

I'd never blame any of the defence whatever permutation we have playing, when they have that midfield in front of them.

Allant1981
28-10-2021, 07:59 AM

He can try organise the defence that he is part of though, thats what being a leader is about, he is the most experienced defender we have at the club, hanlon has been poor the last wee while but not the only one

Perfect Hatrick
28-10-2021, 08:00 AM

If Paul Hanlon made 20+ interceptions in one game then he should be getting a move to the EPL. That’s about 10x what the players with the highest interception stats average.

Roxyhibee
28-10-2021, 08:07 AM
Great report as usual. Thanks for posting these, even (especially) through the bad times. And my god, Hibs are a hard watch just now.

It’s a chore going along to ER just now and I have to say I was generally bored with our style of play last season, despite getting third place. If we don’t pick up our performances next few games, we are in serious trouble.

easty
28-10-2021, 08:07 AM

Porteous doesn’t defend the set piece for both the opening goals…yet it’s Hanlon who’s getting the flak for not “organising the defence”.

Allant1981
28-10-2021, 08:09 AM
Porteous doesn’t defend the set piece for both the opening goals…yet it’s Hanlon who’s getting the flak for not “organising the defence”.

Im guessing the reply was aimed at my post as i mentioned organising the defence, clearly porteous was at fault last night but in general should your captain and most experienced defender not take responsibility and organise them

Brightside
28-10-2021, 08:10 AM
If Paul Hanlon made 20+ interceptions in one game then he should be getting a move to the EPL. That’s about 10x what the players with the highest interception stats average.

Not it’s not. It’s pretty average when you are getting pumped by Celtic. He had at least 15 headers for starters.

Brightside
28-10-2021, 08:11 AM
Im guessing the reply was aimed at my post as i mentioned organising the defence, clearly porteous was at fault last night but in general should your captain and most experienced defender not take responsibility and organise them

The coaches should be doing it. We look lost at dead balls right now. Something has changed.

Crunchie
28-10-2021, 08:19 AM
Not it’s not. It’s pretty average when you are getting pumped by Celtic. He had at least 15 headers for starters.
Look at his part in the 3 goals, the 3rd especially when as usual he's nowhere and appealing for offside when he's the culprit.
When things are going well he gets all the plaudits for strolling through a game etc, when things are going badly he hides and that's unacceptable in any player let alone our captain.

Perfect Hatrick
28-10-2021, 08:20 AM

https://www.90min.com/in/posts/6028820-ranked-five-players-with-the-most-interceptions-per-game-in-the-premier-league-this-season

Yes, it is.

Winning a header isn’t an interception.

Brightside
28-10-2021, 08:30 AM
https://www.90min.com/in/posts/6028820-ranked-five-players-with-the-most-interceptions-per-game-in-the-premier-league-this-season

Yes, it is.

Winning a header isn’t an interception.

Christ. Winning a header stops an attack. It’s a defenders job. He did plenty of it last night. He didn’t hide. He didn’t shirk his responsibilities. Can we get better? Yes. But we don’t have better. Not even close. If Hanlon threw himself around the pitch like Porto there would be pitchforks at Easter rd.

easty
28-10-2021, 08:30 AM

If Hanlon didn’t tell Porteous to mark his man, then it’s his fault that Porteous didn’t mark his man?

Fuzzywuzzy
28-10-2021, 08:31 AM
The communication between the players seems to be nonexistent. They don't really seem to play as a cohesive unit. It's the role of the captain to relay and organise. We were also giving the ball away far to cheaply last night and not just from slack passing. Losing the ball from cheap tackles.

Allant1981
28-10-2021, 08:34 AM
The coaches should be doing it. We look lost at dead balls right now. Something has changed.

Coaches cant do it on the park though

Perfect Hatrick
Christ. Winning a header stops an attack. It’s a defenders job. He did plenty of it last night. He didn’t hide. He didn’t shirk his responsibilities. Can we get better? Yes. But we don’t have better. Not even close. If Hanlon threw himself around the pitch like Porto there would be pitchforks at Easter rd.

I don’t even have an issue with Hanlons performance on an individual basis.

B.H.F.C

Never be anything to do with Paul eh. When the defence does well, Paul was brilliant. When the defence is poor, nothing to do with Paul.

Allant1981
28-10-2021, 08:35 AM
If Hanlon didn’t tell Porteous to mark his man, then it’s his fault that Porteous didn’t mark his man?

Did you actually read my post, i wasnt particularly talking about the goals last night as i clearly said poeteous was to blame

easty
28-10-2021, 08:39 AM
Look at his part in the 3 goals, the 3rd especially when as usual he's nowhere and appealing for offside when he's the culprit.
When things are going well he gets all the plaudits for strolling through a game etc, when things are going badly he hides and that's unacceptable in any player let alone our captain.

I’m not going to say Hanlon had a good game, none of them did. How you can say that Hanlon (in particular) needs to look at his part in that 3 goals though? I can’t see what he could’ve done better for any of the goals, but the first and second he’s not to blame at all, is he??

A Hi-Bee
28-10-2021, 08:41 AM
We need a goalie that comes out for crosses and takes control of the 6 yard box, then we may see a slight improvement in shipping goals from crosses.

B.H.F.C
28-10-2021, 08:46 AM
I’m not going to say Hanlon had a good game, none of them did. How you can say that Hanlon (in particular) needs to look at his part in that 3 goals though? I can’t see what he could’ve done better for any of the goals, but the first and second he’s not to blame at all, is he??

First goal he needs to get them organised. He’s our centre half, captain and most experienced player in there. The clip on sportscene last night where they’re all standing with their arms out not knowing who
Is doing what is an absolute embarrassment. Second goal was down to Porteous. Third goal Hanlon doesn’t know whether to step up, go in with the runner and in the end just sticks his hand up in the air like a fairy.

It’s not all down to him, it’s a collective. But we can’t keep losing goals in the middle of our box and it be nothing to do with the centre halves. Even the goal against Aberdeen on Saturday Hanlon just runs back towards his own goal to mark an empty space, never once looked over his shoulder to see where Ramirez was.

jacomo
28-10-2021, 08:46 AM
Agree, absolutely spot on match report JB. We are so lucky to have these.

A baffling night all round really. Quite why we started so poorly is something JR needs to address sharpish.

Surely everyone knows if you’re passive and try to contain Celtc you’ll get punished? So why did we start with so little belief and endeavour?

Jack is a different league compared to Hecky but we are making similar mistakes imo… possibly, too much emphasis on the tactical plan and not enough good old fashioned man management and motivation.

Someone - you’d hope it would be the manager - needs to give Nisbet a knock on his head and remind him what the game is all about.

easty
28-10-2021, 08:52 AM
First goal he needs to get them organised. He’s our centre half, captain and most experienced player in there. The clip on sportscene last night where they’re all standing with their arms out not knowing who
Is doing what is an absolute embarrassment. Second goal was down to Porteous. Third goal Hanlon doesn’t know whether to step up, go in with the runner and in the end just sticks his hand up in the air like a fairy.

It’s not all down to him, it’s a collective. But we can’t keep losing goals in the middle of our box and it be nothing to do with the centre halves. Even the goal against Aberdeen on Saturday Hanlon just runs back towards his own goal to mark an empty space, never once looked over his shoulder to see where Ramirez was.

Hand up in the air like a fairy?

Hanlons the one at fault against Aberdeen. No doubt about that. Blaming him for the goals last night is wrong in my opinion.

B.H.F.C
28-10-2021, 09:00 AM
Hand up in the air like a fairy?

Hanlons the one at fault against Aberdeen. No doubt about that. Blaming him for the goals last night is wrong in my opinion.

Aye, claiming for offside rather than actually doing anything.

As I said I don’t think you can solely dig him out too much for last night. It’s collective and he part of the constant collective failing at the moment.

JimboHibs
28-10-2021, 09:12 AM
Aye, claiming for offside rather than actually doing anything.

As I said I don’t think you can solely dig him out too much for last night. It’s collective and he part of the constant collective failing at the moment.

My comment wasn't particularly aimed at lastnights performance,Jonnyboy has been saying the same thing about the players going back to 2018,I struggle with the idea of praising them when more often than not they have been described as being poor in This is how it feels threads.If a player is poor in 2018 and still being described as poor in 2021 then alarm bells surely must be ringing.

Greenbeard
28-10-2021, 09:12 AM
If something has changed it changed a long time ago cos we have been piss poor at defending crosses for the last two seasons at least.
But to bring a brighter note to the thread my coat has now dried out from the monsoon walking to ER.

Argylehibby
28-10-2021, 09:22 AM
We need a goalie that comes out for crosses and takes control of the 6 yard box, then we may see a slight improvement in shipping goals from crosses.

Absolutely spot on, he doesn’t command his box and never comes out for crosses.

Stuart93
28-10-2021, 09:25 AM
Agree, absolutely spot on match report JB. We are so lucky to have these.

A baffling night all round really. Quite why we started so poorly is something JR needs to address sharpish.

Surely everyone knows if you’re passive and try to contain Celtc you’ll get punished? So why did we start with so little belief and endeavour?

Jack is a different league compared to Hecky but we are making similar mistakes imo… possibly, too much emphasis on the tactical plan and not enough good old fashioned man management and motivation.

Someone - you’d hope it would be the manager - needs to give Nisbet a knock on his head and remind him what the game is all about.

We’ve started poorly in the majority of games I’ve seen us in this season.

How many times do we keep saying the manager has to address this before we realise it’s not getting addressed

ancient hibee
28-10-2021, 09:25 AM
I'd never blame any of the defence whatever permutation we have playing, when they have that midfield in front of them.

This is the whole point isn’t it. Performances like the first half will revolve on how the midfield performs. There was absolutely no energy ,no attempt to track runners,no attempt to harass their midfield so there was no pressure on their passing game and no drive going forward.The ball was given away time after time when the obvious ploy was to try and keep it close and take out their sting.Even so we had two excellent chances to score.I didn’t expect Newell to take his chance but Murphy did exactly what he did when he missed the sitter in Dundee- just blootered it when a low ball would have left Hart helpless..I expect more from an experienced player.
-

Perfect Hatrick
28-10-2021, 09:30 AM

How many times do we keep saying the manager has to address this before we realise it’s not getting addressed

I’m not sure we actually managed to get possession before they went 1-0 up. They scored in the 10th minute.

I’ve never seen a start quite like it in any game that I can think of, never mind one involving Hibs.

Unseen work
28-10-2021, 09:49 AM
Disagree with a couple of things, couple of points for me;

Macey - thought he should have done better for the second goal

McGinn and Doig - Thought both defended their 1 v 1s well as they were up against 2 very tricky wingers and often isolated. Doig needs to improve his quality when he has the ball.

Porteous - Unsure who it was for the first goal but second goal was him. What was with his tackle on Mcgregor? Does he not have a brain cell? You’d think he’d learn and stop going into tackles like that when there is 0 need, he just wanted to do someone because he was frustrated. He also got very fortunate on a couple of occasions when he was on the ball and lost it.

Hanlon - poor and very unconvincing

Gogic - I do feel for him. The same way I did with Allan against St Johnstone in the cup and Gullan against Aberdeen. Hardly got any minutes this season, even off the bench yet is chucked into the line up. I get that happens and you need to be ready for it but Ross seems to bring players in from the cold, same with Campbell at half time but he done well. Gogic you could tell was lacking sharpness and just fouled a lot, he did win possession back well on occasion though.

JDH & Newell - Non existent first half, much better second, especially JDH who injected some tempo into our play.

Nisbet - Pathetic

Campbell - Very impressed with him when he came on. Put himself about, won the ball back, supported attackers and was composed on the ball. County is a completely different game but he deserves to start for me

Brightside
28-10-2021, 10:15 AM
If something has changed it changed a long time ago cos we have been piss poor at defending crosses for the last two seasons at least.
But to bring a brighter note to the thread my coat has now dried out from the monsoon walking to ER.

You mean last season when we didnt lose a headed goal until the cup games? Our defence was top class last season.

Lago
28-10-2021, 10:37 AM

Jack says we were very poor in the first half, how true and very good in the second half, but I have to point out to Jack that the game was finished after 30 minutes, Celtc really didn’t need to do anything in the second half to see the game out comfortably.

Sir David Gray
28-10-2021, 10:39 AM
Disagree with a couple of things, couple of points for me;

Macey - thought he should have done better for the second goal

McGinn and Doig - Thought both defended their 1 v 1s well as they were up against 2 very tricky wingers and often isolated. Doig needs to improve his quality when he has the ball.

Porteous - Unsure who it was for the first goal but second goal was him. What was with his tackle on Mcgregor? Does he not have a brain cell? You’d think he’d learn and stop going into tackles like that when there is 0 need, he just wanted to do someone because he was frustrated. He also got very fortunate on a couple of occasions when he was on the ball and lost it.

Hanlon - poor and very unconvincing

Gogic - I do feel for him. The same way I did with Allan against St Johnstone in the cup and Gullan against Aberdeen. Hardly got any minutes this season, even off the bench yet is chucked into the line up. I get that happens and you need to be ready for it but Ross seems to bring players in from the cold, same with Campbell at half time but he done well. Gogic you could tell was lacking sharpness and just fouled a lot, he did win possession back well on occasion though.

JDH & Newell - Non existent first half, much better second, especially JDH who injected some tempo into our play.

Nisbet - Pathetic

Campbell - Very impressed with him when he came on. Put himself about, won the ball back, supported attackers and was composed on the ball. County is a completely different game but he deserves to start for me

Agree with what you say about Porteous, I feel he was very fortunate to stay on the park last night and could have had no complaints if his yellow card had been a red one.

jacomo
28-10-2021, 11:37 AM

This is a valid criticism.

Also fair to say that, up until last few games, results have papered over the issue.

Stuart93
28-10-2021, 11:41 AM
This is a valid criticism.

Also fair to say that, up until last few games, results have papered over the issue.

A number of times this season, whether it’s been watching on tele or standing on concourse at half time, thinking that was absolute pish hoping we turn it round in the 2nd half. Only dundee utd away and Ross county at ER I can remember being happy with the performance at half time. No doubt I’ve probably missed a game or two.

RossScott1991
28-10-2021, 11:52 AM
Just seeing the Porteous tackle for the first time now. Scrambled eggs for brains

When will he ever learn? Literally no need to go to ground there can win the ball standing up

https://twitter.com/johnwalker_1986/status/1453646944753131520?s=20

B.H.F.C
28-10-2021, 11:54 AM
Just seeing the Porteous tackle for the first time now. Scrambled eggs for brains

When will he ever learn? Literally no need to go to ground there can win the ball standing up

It’s just absolute stupidity from him. Whatever folk think about winning the ball or whatever, he surely has to realise you can’t do that these days. Especially when you’re him.

jacomo
28-10-2021, 11:56 AM
It’s just absolute stupidity from him. Whatever folk think about winning the ball or whatever, he surely has to realise you can’t do that these days. Especially when you’re him.

Stupidity, yes.

Deliberate attempt to injury an opponent? Nah.

Stuart93
28-10-2021, 11:57 AM

Just sheer stupidity. To fly needlessly into a tackle only a few games after, rightly or wrongly, being sent off for the same kind of thing is indefensible.

500miles
28-10-2021, 11:59 AM
Agree with what you say about Porteous, I feel he was very fortunate to stay on the park last night and could have had no complaints if his yellow card had been a red one.

He's swept the ball away, and the momentum brings his studs across McGregor's shin. He doesn't barrel in with a straight leg. Other players wouldn't even get pulled for it.

Pretty Boy
28-10-2021, 12:02 PM

He needs to learn and quickly or his reputation is going to precede him. Not only that it suggests a stunt in the development of that part of his game.

I was in a minority of about 3 who thought his tackle at Ibrox was a poor one and certainly worthy of at least a booking. That tackle last night isn't any better, winning the ball is totally irrelevant.

Allant1981
28-10-2021, 12:05 PM
He needs to learn and quickly or his reputation is going to precede him. Not only that it suggests a stunt in the development of that part of his game.

I was in a minority of about 3 who thought his tackle at Ibrox was a poor one and certainly worthy of at least a booking. That tackle last night isn't any better, winning the ball is totally irrelevant.

He was also having a wee dig at another cletic player later in the game, luckily the ref didnt see it, think it was the boy they brought on up front in the 2nd half

Coco Bryce
28-10-2021, 12:10 PM

I noticed the DR have posted a photo on their Twitter feed of the injury on McGregor' shin after Porto's challenge.

West Coast Rag

Stuart93
28-10-2021, 12:16 PM
I noticed the DR have posted a photo on their Twitter feed of the injury on McGregor' shin after Porto's challenge.

West Coast Rag

Aye but that’s the narrative they’re looking for RP to portray and he’s done that by the shocker of a challenge.

Sir David Gray
28-10-2021, 12:16 PM

Yep it was really poor, very stupid of him to go in like that. I really thought he was off as soon as that happened and was relieved to only see the yellow card coming out.

Alfred E Newman
28-10-2021, 12:17 PM
I’m not sure we actually managed to get possession before they went 1-0 up. They scored in the 10th minute.

I’ve never seen a start quite like it in any game that I can think of, never mind one involving Hibs.

I don't think I have ever seen an opening 10 mins like that in all my time following the Hibs. Certainly not at Easter Road. I just don't understand this tactic, it has to be deliberate, of gifting possession to the opposition at the start of games. If we had been playing Hamilton last night it would have been the same.

Danderhall Hibs
28-10-2021, 12:30 PM
I’m amazed that instead of looking at the goals and Porteous’ part in them folk are deflecting onto Hanlon and Macey. Macey helped keep the score down last night and came and collected a good few crosses.

Some are totally blinkered with RP for some reason.

Tyler Durden
28-10-2021, 12:31 PM
Stupidity, yes.

Deliberate attempt to injury an opponent? Nah.

I really don't know to be honest. He just seems to lose the rag in the split second and dive in like this. It's usually totally unnecessary too. Both at Ibrox and this tackle last night he could clear the ball without going to ground. It's not natural the way he's going in.

Anyway whether it's deliberate or not, doesn't matter for referees. If he keeps doing this he'll be missing alot of games and going nowhere. He needs to learn.

Danderhall Hibs
28-10-2021, 12:32 PM
Aye but that’s the narrative they’re looking for RP to portray and he’s done that by the shocker of a challenge.

Yeah he’s not helping himself. Sure he flew into another one about 5 mins in - another foul had been called so no real fuss made about it. He’s clearly just ignoring all the criticism of the last few weeks.

Sir David Gray
28-10-2021, 12:36 PM
Yeah he’s not helping himself. Sure he flew into another one about 5 mins in - another foul had been called so no real fuss made about it. He’s clearly just ignoring all the criticism of the last few weeks.

Yes he did, I couldn't believe he did that so early in the game after just coming back from suspension.

I defended him at Ibrox but he was stupid last night and really needs to calm the jets.

thebausburst
28-10-2021, 12:45 PM
Mixed emotions tonight. A dreadful first half display in which we conceded three going on six and a second half where we played as we should have from the start of the game. To be fair, Celtic were electric in that first forty five and had our guys chasing shadows, but the fact remains that our tactics appeared to be to invite them on to us and so conceding as we did was no real surprise. Whatever Jack Ross said at half time should have been said at the start of the game as we finally turned up and produced a better quality of football than we have done recently. Had Murphy’s effort beaten Hart in the second half it would have made it 3-2 and perhaps Celtic may have panicked – or perhaps that’s just wishful thinking on my part.

Changes were made to our starting eleven with Porteous returning at the back and Gogic drafted in to central midfield with Scott Allan not even on the bench. It became obvious from the outset that Gogic was man marking Rogic whilst Newell tried to keep tabs on McGregor. Both Hibs players failed in their mission, particularly Gogic who was roasted on numerous occasions by Rogic with the Celtic man having a field day in providing openings for his three front men. Those three had a ball running our defence ragged, especially in the wider area with Jota and Johnston giving Doig and McGinn a torrid time of it.

A stupid foul by Gogic allowed Celtic a free kick inside ten minutes and as the ball was delivered by Turnbull to the back post, Ralston rushed in unchallenged to send a header beyond Macey. It looked to me as though McGinn had been left with two men to mark and chose the wrong one to concentrate on. Just sixty seconds later it could and should have been 1-1 when Murphy picked out Newell on the six yard line, but Joe took a touch allowing Hart to block when a first time effort would probably have beaten the Celtic keeper.

The visitors were soon back at it again and passing through our midfield at will and so it was no surprise when Carter-Vickers put his side 2-0 up in the 14th minute. The goal came from a corner and the Hibs defence stood like statues as the Celtic man swept the ball home from a central position. Soon after, Nisbet had an effort blocked but, in reality, all of the action was being played out in the Hibs half. Close to the half hour, Rogic thundered in a shot that Macey did well to divert over the bar, but it wasn’t too long after that that Celtic scored again. Hibs made a hash of trying to clear in the left back area, allowing Jota to casually roll the ball into the path of an unmarked Furuhashi who netted from close range. Furuhashi was prominent again a few minutes later but his effort from eighteen yards was well saved by Macey.

Hibs seemed to wake from their stupor for a few minutes, winning a corner which was delivered by Newell. Porteous and Boyle were close together in competing for the ball and the diminutive Boyle got the last touch to head past Hart and make it 3-1. Right on half time, Rogic went down injured in the Hibs box and was replaced by Nir Bitton. I remember thinking Gogic would be a relieved man but ironically, Gogic was subbed off at half time and replaced by Josh Campbell.

At the half time break I sat thinking that Hibs had done exactly the opposite of what we’d all hoped for. Instead of going at Celtic from the off we were passive throughout, allowed Celtic the freedom to play and in doing so, paid dearly for it. As I said earlier, Celtic were superb at times but our set up and tactics gave them license to be so.

Whatever Jack Ross said at half time should have been said to them at the start of the game because Hibs came out looking hungrier, more confident and showing the fighting spirit missing in the first half. Within a couple of minutes, Campbell sent a header wide as he stooped to make contact with a McGinn cross before Celtic swarmed forward again and in clearing his lines, Porteous robbed McGregor on the edge of the box. It looked a strong but fair challenge, but referee Don Robertson thought otherwise and booked Ryan.

Hibs were playing much better and the home crowd was behind them but Celtic still looked dangerous, especially on the break. A Starfelt header was easily saved by Macey before Porteous steered a header over the bar at the other end. Soon after, Boyle was racing through when McGregor unceremoniously dumped him on his backside, earning a deserved yellow card in the process.

With fifteen minutes left, a lovely pass from Doyle-Hayes released Murphy deep in the Celtic box but Jamie’s strong drive was saved by Hart. Moments later, Nisbet was hooked and replaced by Jamie Gullan whose movement would cause Celtic a degree of concern. At the same time, Murphy was replaced by Drey Wright, and the former St. Johnstone man was involved right away in sending Doig free down the left but not for the first time the young Hibs number 3 was wasteful with his cross.

Porteous and Newell had efforts blocked within a minute of each other before Jota fired wildly over the bar from a good position. With the fourth official holding up the board to indicate a minimum of four minutes to play I thought it interesting that Celtic spent that four minutes winding down the clock.

The booing at the end was, I think, largely out of disappointment with the first half in particular as by and large the home support had been right behind Hibs during the second.

The players

Macey – Had no chance with any of the goals and oddly had very few other efforts that bothered him.

McGinn – I thought Mikey Johnston gave him a torrid time in the first half especially, but he stuck to his task and improved in the second.

Porteous – Voted man of the match by the sponsors I felt they were being very generous as we’d conceded three goals through sloppy defending with the second of those in the area Ryan should have been standing.

Hanlon – Up against three strikers with very quick feet, Paul floundered a bit and was far from his best tonight.

Doig – Josh works his socks off and I felt for him in that first half when Murphy left him to deal with Jota and Ralston on his own. In an attacking sense, his crosses were largely poor in quality.

Boyle – Martin flitted in and out of the game and despite scoring our goal this was not one of his better performances.

Doyle-Hayes – Run ragged in the first half he was much improved in the second and I’m both delighted and relieved to report that he played a good number of forward passes in the second forty five.

Newell – Joe covered a lot of territory but was let down by his decision making in when to retain and when to pass on the ball.

Murphy - Jamie tried hard enough but was guilty at times of leaving McGinn to mark two men at the back.

Nisbet – I feel sorry for him as he’s left on his own up front so has an excuse for not having shots on goal. What I cannot excuse however is his seeming unwillingness to put in a shift in terms of physical effort.

Campbell – I was very impressed with Josh tonight. He looked calm and composed and not overawed by the occasion. For those reasons and the fact that he caught the eye more than anyone else, he gets my man of the match award.

Wright – The forgotten man did well enough both offensively and defensively and I felt sorry for him when one attempted pass went astray, causing s few groans round about me.

Gullan – Jamie’s movement was excellent and it’s a pity some of his team mates didn’t spot that. One person who did spot that was Nir Bitton who dropped deeper to offer his back four support.

Jack Ross – I sense pressure building from a disgruntled support. Take this second half display and adopt it for the whole game in Dingwall, Jack.

The referee – Don Robertson was very quick to book Porteous but not so quick to book McGregor who had committed a hatful of fouls before Robertson finally took action.

Agree apart from Gullah mate, just don’t see anything that makes me think he is the answer for us tbh

loanheadhibby
28-10-2021, 04:44 PM

The players

Good report as usual.
Thought Macey should have done better st the saving goal and surely Newells first half miss rates a mention. He has to score.

Tambo
28-10-2021, 05:21 PM
I'm sure there was two times in the first half where one Celtic player just walks through three Hibs players who literally don't put an ounce of effort in.

Don't see much chat about Porteous booking. Yes he won the ball but also gave McGregor a really bad Afters which in 2021 you can't do and I think Ryan will never change the way he approachs the game.

Since452
28-10-2021, 05:23 PM
I'm sure there was two times in the first half where one Celtic player just walks through three Hibs players who literally don't put an ounce of effort in.

Don't see much chat about Porteous booking. Yes he won the ball but also gave McGregor a really bad Afters which in 2021 you can't do and I think Ryan will never change the way he approachs the game.

I was angry at the tackle. I honestly don't know why he keeps on making them. I stand by my opinion that he deserved his red at Ibrox and could have seen red last night too.

Crunchie
28-10-2021, 06:51 PM
20+ interceptions 15 headers LOL what planet are you on man, he doesn't head the ball 15 times in 5 matches never mind last night.

Jonnyboy
28-10-2021, 07:13 PM
Good report as usual.
Thought Macey should have done better st the saving goal and surely Newells first half miss rates a mention. He has to score.

Erm, I did mention Joe's effort in the third paragraph :greengrin

As to Macey, I felt at the time that the ball was low down when it reached the scorer and as such not really a 'keeper's ball' although I've not seen it again and so I may be wrong in that.

Unseen work
28-10-2021, 07:19 PM

It’s a shocker from him.

The definition of trying to “do someone”.

Hiber-nation
28-10-2021, 07:29 PM
It’s a shocker from him.

Well we can't complain about Sportscene now. I'm amazed they never showed that.

500miles
28-10-2021, 07:46 PM
It’s a shocker from him.

Is it? He swipes the ball away and catches mcgregor on the follow through. If he wanted to do McGregor he could have gone right through him.

tmb1875
28-10-2021, 08:34 PM
His eyes never leave the ball so how is this the definition of trying to do someone! He’s slid in and cleared the ball with his left foot, where you wanting him to put his right foot? mcgregor stood there like a wee girl crying. It’s a 50/50 there to be contested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28-10-2021, 09:22 PM

West Coast Rag

It's a strange one, 2 gashes right where the shin pad should be. You'd have thought someone on about £1m+ p.a. would have a decent pair of shin pads.

jacomo
28-10-2021, 09:22 PM
It’s a shocker from him.

Sorry, it absolutely isn’t.

Rash, stupid and dangerous, but he’s not setting out to do the player.

28-10-2021, 09:28 PM
Sorry, it absolutely isn’t.

Rash, stupid and dangerous, but he’s not setting out to do the player.

That's correct but unfortunately Rangers and maybe now Celtic fans, plus some pundits now have it in for him. Some even trying to claim he went over the top of the ball, which he didn't.

mcohibs
28-10-2021, 09:41 PM
I was angry at the tackle. I honestly don't know why he keeps on making them. I stand by my opinion that he deserved his red at Ibrox and could have seen red last night too.

Spot on. Going to end up ending someone's career or damaging his own with reckless ***** like that.

That and the fact he was at fault for arguably three goals last night, certainly two of them. Yet he gets man of the match... mental.

A lot of Hibs fans still blinkered when it comes to Porteous.

Sir David Gray
28-10-2021, 09:47 PM
That's correct but unfortunately Rangers and maybe now Celtic fans, plus some pundits now have it in for him. Some even trying to claim he went over the top of the ball, which he didn't.

Yep it's a tag that he'll now struggle to shake off I'm afraid.

CMurdoch
29-10-2021, 01:30 PM
The blame game
Goal 1 Porteous - 6 defenders and 6 attackers for the free kick. Instead of marking Ralston who is next to him he decides to leave and help Hanlon mark his player, gets under the ball and Ralston is left free to head it in. Mark your player Ryan and leave others alone to mark theirs.
Goal 2 Macey - Folk blaming Porteous because he is marking the scorer but a low ball like that should really be blocked before it reaches that position. Nisbet could have been doing that job instead of standing about doing nothing. However, all that said Macey should have saved the flick on. Therefore goal 2 is down to him.
Goal 3 Where to start. Nisbet and Gogic at the throw in and then Nisbet gets in everyones way and acts like a blocker for Rogic. What an almighty mess.

At the game I thought Porteous was going off for the tackle on McGregor. Watched it at home and it didn't look so bad but he has caused significant damage to McGregors leg with his follow through.
His tackling technique appears to be the issue rather than malice. It has cost him a bad knee injury, a few red cards and a few lucky escapes to date. He must stay on his feet to avoid taking his opponent out with the inevitable follow through but the coaching team should be reviewing the issue and coming up with a solution. Also needs to concentrate on his own game (see goal 1 above).

bigwheel
29-10-2021, 01:47 PM
The blame game
Goal 1 Porteous - 6 defenders and 6 attackers for the free kick. Instead of marking Ralston who is next to him he decides he needs to leave and help Hanlon mark his player, gets under the ball and Ralston is free to head it in. Mark your player Ryan and leave others alone to mark theirs.
Goal 2 Macey - Folk blaming Porteous because he is marking the scorer but a low ball like that should really be blocked before it reaches that position. Nisbet could have been doing that job instead of standing about doing nothing. However, all that said Macey should have saved the flick on. Therefore goal 2 is down to him.
Goal 3 Where to start. Nisbet and Gogic at the throw in and then Nisbet gets in everyones way and acts like a blocker for Rogic. What an almighty mess.

At the game I thought Porteous was going off for the tackle on McGregor. Watched it at home and it didn't look so bad but he has caused significant damage to McGregors leg with his follow through.
His tackling technique appears to be the issue rather than malice. It has cost him a bad knee injury, a few red cards and a few lucky escapes to date. I think he needs to stay on his feet but the coaching team should be reviewing the issue and coming up with a solution. Also needs to concentrate on his own game (see goal 1 above).

People may be right about Macey for the second (not too sure Myself ) but if Porto sticks close to his man that shot isn’t going in - so he’s is certainly in the mix of things that went wrong

CMurdoch
29-10-2021, 02:21 PM
People may be right about Macey for the second (not too sure Myself ) but if Porto sticks close to his man that shot isn’t going in - so he’s is certainly in the mix of things that went wrong

It's not atrocious from Macey but he should stop it. It trundles past him.
Clever play from McGregor who sees the opportunity and executes the corner perfectly which allows the scorer to utilise the pace and low trajectory of the ball.

Greenbeard
29-10-2021, 02:42 PM
Agree. Ryan has to take most of the blame for sleeping. Vickers should never have had the space to get a shot goal bound. Having said that I also agree that once the shot is goal bound Macey could (not should) have done better. But it was right in the corner and credit where credit is due it was a deft first-time touch for a big lump of a bloke.
As for Nisbet's role on the third............ "Here's the ball. Here have it again, I don't want it. This is the way to our goal, through this open door."