PDA

View Full Version : The feeling that you can't really be bothered with another 'bad day at the office'

He's here!
17-10-2021, 09:56 PM
I've mentioned it before on another thread, but I have a pal who I used to go to countless games with who has not been back to watch Hibs since we won the Scottish Cup in 2016. Granted, he got a job in the south of England just a short while later which meant games were inevitably going to become a lot rarer, but as the months and now years have gone by he says the distance from ER helped him realise that he would never experience a greater high as a Hibs fan.

At first I didn't think he could really keep away, but having finally been down to catch up with him recently after many Covid-related delays, I can honestly say he's made a clean break (after what he described as a couple of years of 'cold turkey'). I don't know if I could ever make the break in that way, but I'm not going to lie. Part of me envies him.

I've been a strong defender of Jack Ross despite some of the grim moments which have peppered his tenure. However, yesterday's result (and more particularly the utter ineptitude of the performance) has, for the first time, planted a doubt in my mind about where we're going with him at the helm. Sure, our recent record in cups, the third place finish etc are all praiseworthy, but for all the talk of progress this season, yesterday was every bit as bad as the home derby defeat pre-Covid and the no-show at last season's cup final. And while there was anger in the stands, there was also a sense (in my view) that we weren't really THAT surprised. There's something a little lacking in this squad, a sense of character that really bonds a team and its fans. Ross described the players as lazy and selfish and I'm still trying to figure out why they would be either of those things when you'd assume they'd be fired up with sense of injustice from Ibrox and determined to get back to winning ways.

I was prepared to accept that previous horrible performances were simply the 'bad day at the office' that you will always get now and again, but I'm concerned that we don't have enough about us as a team/squad to learn from these and do our damnedest to make sure they don't happen again. Days like yesterday really sap me of goodwill and have me wondering whether my old pal has the right idea!

Kato
17-10-2021, 10:08 PM
I've mentioned it before on another thread, but I have a pal who I used to go to countless games with who has not been back to watch Hibs since we won the Scottish Cup in 2016. Granted, he got a job in the south of England just a short while later which meant games were inevitably going to become a lot rarer, but as the months and now years have gone by he says the distance from ER helped him realise that he would never experience a greater high as a Hibs fan.

At first I didn't think he could really keep away, but having finally been down to catch up with him recently after many Covid-related delays, I can honestly say he's made a clean break (after what he described as a couple of years of 'cold turkey'). I don't know if I could ever make the break in that way, but I'm not going to lie. Part of me envies him.

I've been a strong defender of Jack Ross despite some of the grim moments which have peppered his tenure. However, yesterday's result (and more particularly the utter ineptitude of the performance) has, for the first time, planted a doubt in my mind about where we're going with him at the helm. Sure, our recent record in cups, the third place finish etc are all praiseworthy, but for all the talk of progress this season, yesterday was every bit as bad as the home derby defeat pre-Covid and the no-show at last season's cup final. And while there was anger in the stands, there was also a sense (in my view) that we weren't really THAT surprised. There's something a little lacking in this squad, a sense of character that really bonds a team and its fans. Ross described the players as lazy and selfish and I'm still trying to figure out why they would be either of those things when you'd assume they'd be fired up with sense of injustice from Ibrox and determined to get back to winning ways.

I was prepared to accept that previous horrible performances were simply the 'bad day at the office' that you will always get now and again, but I'm concerned that we don't have enough about us as a team/squad to learn from these and do our damnedest to make sure they don't happen again. Days like yesterday really sap me of goodwill and have me wondering whether my old pal has the right idea!You won't know unless you give it a go.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

17-10-2021, 10:23 PM

I was prepared to accept that previous horrible performances were simply the 'bad day at the office' that you will always get now and again, but I'm concerned that we don't have enough about us as a team/squad to learn from these and do our damnedest to make sure they don't happen again. Days like yesterday really sap me of goodwill and have me wondering whether my old pal has the right idea!

👋🏻 👋🏻

matty_f
17-10-2021, 10:24 PM
There’s some amount of hand wringing after a defeat on here, ffs.

Franck Stanton
17-10-2021, 10:32 PM
To be honest, I think it was more the manner of the defeat that angers most supporters.
Just my opinion Matty.

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-10-2021, 10:34 PM
We are going to be inconsistent and days when it just doesn't work.

17-10-2021, 10:34 PM
There’s some amount of hand wringing after a defeat on here, ffs.

We've got this thread which is like a tentative Ross out thread. Almost like Ross out? Anyone agree with me? Similarly there's the First Reaction thread which is tentatively a Brink Back Lennon thread.

Peevemor
17-10-2021, 10:48 PM
Maybe there could be another sub forum for stuff like this.

There could be threads discussing the merit of not going back alongside one for each player, dedicated to massacring them after bad results and where the size of their baws and their attention to their hairdos could be discussed.

MWHIBBIES
17-10-2021, 10:58 PM
We've lost 8 matches against the ''lesser'' sides in the top league, in all competitions, since the start of last season . 4 of those to St Johnstone. We've nearly 30 wins.

So eh, we're doing a pretty good job of making sure these things don't happen. The fact you can remember them so well (4x vs Saints, Motherwell, Ross County, Livi and Dundee United at home) is because of how rare they are now. We haven't lost a single away match to one of these sides apart from St Johnstone in nearly 2 years. Literally, only Aberdeen, Celtic, Rangers and St Johnstone have beaten Hibs at home since December 2019. Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Hamilton, Hearts, Livi, Dundee United, Dundee, Ross County, St Mirren have all failed to beat Hibs at their own grounds in nearly 2 years.

Ross is doing a better job than anyone else has at Hibs in a long time.

Hibbyradge
17-10-2021, 10:59 PM
Your mate's a twat.

NAE NOOKIE
17-10-2021, 11:05 PM
I was at the 2016 cup final, it was my 5th Scottish cup final .... I cant imagine for a second that my reaction to that day would ever be 'ah well that's it, time to bin the Hibees' ... I still can't imagine it.

Saturday was ******* ..... there will be more ******* .... but one day there will be another 2016 and that's why you go through games like Saturday, so you can be there for days like the 2016 cup final or the 2007 League cup final and be able to say you have paid your dues and if anybody is entitled to wallow in the warm glow of success its you.

That's what supporting Hibs is, 30% terrible, 50% ordinary, 10% great to watch and 10% brilliant times ..... if you cant buy into that then you are supporting the wrong club.

The Harp
17-10-2021, 11:14 PM
I'd hate to think there might come a day when I would turn my back on the Hibs. I'm in my mid 70s and have been a regular at ER since my primary school days. I didn't make it to the Dundee Utd game on Sat through ill health, and I doubt very much about being fit for the celtic game.
It's not that I'm choosing not to attend but I still feel bad about not being there. I've had a season ticket for 50 years, and my son who lives in London bought a season this year, but won't manage up to many games. My daughter is a Hibee and attends home games occasionally, but with 3 young kids it's an expensive day out for them all.
I hate the thought of Hibs playing at home and there isn't a member of my immediate family at the game (as happened on Saturday). Hope this doesn't sound daft to some of you.

SaulGoodman
17-10-2021, 11:36 PM
Hibs could get pumped 5-0 week in week out and I would still go to every home game I could make it to. The result isn’t the most important thing about supporting Hibs to me.

NAE NOOKIE
17-10-2021, 11:39 PM
I'd hate to think there might come a day when I would turn my back on the Hibs. I'm in my mid 70s and have been a regular at ER since my primary school days. I didn't make it to the Dundee Utd game on Sat through ill health, and I doubt very much about being fit for the celtic game.
It's not that I'm choosing not to attend but I still feel bad about not being there. I've had a season ticket for 50 years, and my son who lives in London bought a season this year, but won't manage up to many games. My daughter is a Hibee and attends home games occasionally, but with 3 young kids it's an expensive day out for them all.
I hate the thought of Hibs playing at home and there isn't a member of my immediate family at the game (as happened on Saturday). Hope this doesn't sound daft to some of you.

THAT ..... is what supporting this club is all about ..... respect :not worth

jacomo
18-10-2021, 05:25 AM
Jack Ross sounded pretty furious about it all after the match. I think we will see a reaction.

Keith_M
18-10-2021, 06:42 AM
Your mate's a twat.

+1

Pagan Hibernia
18-10-2021, 06:52 AM

Nah not for me.

I love every visit to see Hibs.

He's here!
18-10-2021, 06:56 AM
We've lost 8 matches against the ''lesser'' sides in the top league, in all competitions, since Ross arrived. 4 of those to St Johnstone. We've nearly 30 wins.

So eh, we're doing a pretty good job of making sure these things don't happen. The fact you can remember them so well (4x vs Saints, Motherwell, Ross County, Livi and Dundee United at home) is because of how rare they are now. We haven't lost a single away match to one of these sides apart from St Johnstone in nearly 2 years. Literally, only Aberdeen, Celtic, Rangers and St Johnstone have beaten Hibs at home since December 2019. Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Hamilton, Hearts, Livi, Dundee United, Dundee, Ross County, St Mirren have all failed to beat Hibs at their own grounds in nearly 2 years.

While it would be nice to erase it from our minds, Hearts beat us at home just prior to lockdown in probably our worst performance under Ross.

Smartie
18-10-2021, 06:57 AM
It’s the rough along the way that makes the smooth worth it when you get it.

Saturday was pish, but with football you normally get an opportunity to make amends shortly after.

Heisenberg
18-10-2021, 06:58 AM
Days like Saturday happen to all teams in the league every season. The usually solid St Johnstone had an absolute disaster against Livi for example. We need to react against Aberdeen.

Got to say I am a bit concerned with the squad we’ve got at our disposal just now. The signings we made in the summer aren’t adding anything (JDH aside) and haven’t improved on where we were. Injuries have actually left us worse off.

BILLYHIBS
18-10-2021, 07:07 AM
I have felt like that since the Scottish Cup Final tbh

I digress :greengrin

Kato
18-10-2021, 07:43 AM
I don't understand the concept to tell you the truth - "I'll never feel that high again". What has that got to do with supporting the team you love? Maybe it speaks of a flighty, entitled attitude from someone just using it as an excuse.

Northernhibee
18-10-2021, 07:43 AM

This. In a nutshell. Almost every team has it.

Not only were we off the page on Saturday but Dundee United were excellent. A perfect storm.

It’s like a competition of who can be the most miserable about it.

It’s a very bad result, it stings, I’m back on the wagon and looking forward to us making amends.

loanheadhibby
18-10-2021, 07:56 AM

Undoubtedly we will have days like these. Most teams do. However we do have a worrying soft underbelly when the chips are down. We need to start turning poor performances in to the odd draw.

Appreciate we will have defeats but in adversity, we do seem to collapse. It’s the same when we go down to 10 men, we inevitably lose the game.

Ronniekirk
18-10-2021, 08:19 AM
We've lost 8 matches against the ''lesser'' sides in the top league, in all competitions, since Ross arrived. 4 of those to St Johnstone. We've nearly 30 wins.

I think our current league position is first time in ages that we have been out the top four
So there is a bit more pressure on us v Aberdeen to make sure we don’t go three games without a win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Jimmy
18-10-2021, 08:22 AM

I was prepared to accept that previous horrible performances were simply the 'bad day at the office' that you will always get now and again, but I'm concerned that we don't have enough about us as a team/squad to learn from these and do our damnedest to make sure they don't happen again. Days like yesterday really sap me of goodwill and have me wondering whether my old pal has the right idea!Like your mate, I moved south shortly after the 2016 final.

Unlike your mate, I still live and breathe hibs. I don't get to many games at all now but I am hibs through and through and it's a huge part of who I am.

Maybe your mate was never really into hibs anyway.

Or possibly you've milked his story to take another unnecessary dig at our manager?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
18-10-2021, 08:32 AM
While it would be nice to erase it from our minds, Hearts beat us at home just prior to lockdown in probably our worst performance under Ross.

They also beat us 4-1 in the first match after 7-0. Did that get held against turnbull for years or did we move on back then?

Seriously, that match was nearly 2 years ago, get over it.

The_Exile
18-10-2021, 09:06 AM
Surely it’s the rollercoaster that keeps us coming back for more? I can’t imagine anything more boring and mind numbing than being, say, a Rangers or Celtic fan that watches their team just on cruise control every week.

JimBHibees
18-10-2021, 09:11 AM

Your mate sounds fictitious :greengrin

Sammy7nil
18-10-2021, 09:20 AM
Your mate's a twat.

Well thought through, considered and balanced response. :wink:

rodhibs55
18-10-2021, 09:20 AM
I was at the 2016 cup final, it was my 5th Scottish cup final .... I cant imagine for a second that my reaction to that day would ever be 'ah well that's it, time to bin the Hibees' ... I still can't imagine it.

Saturday was ******* ..... there will be more ******* .... but one day there will be another 2016 and that's why you go through games like Saturday, so you can be there for days like the 2016 cup final or the 2007 League cup final and be able to say you have paid your dues and if anybody is entitled to wallow in the warm glow of success its you.

That's what supporting Hibs is, 30% terrible, 50% ordinary, 10% great to watch and 10% brilliant times ..... if you cant buy into that then you are supporting the wrong club.

Great post. That's the roller coaster that is supporting Hibs. Would'nt change it for anything.
GGTTH

Viva_Palmeiras
18-10-2021, 09:34 AM

maybe you should change your name to “He’s no here”…

lord bunberry
18-10-2021, 09:35 AM
What a **** thread. It’s like people are subtly trying to encourage fans to stop going. A couple of weeks ago there was threads about us finishing in the top 2 and now we’ve got fans saying they can’t be bothered going to games. I keep reading about how fans find this team boring and can’t connect with them. I don’t find them boring, I love watching hibs just now, for one of the few times in my lifetime we’re actually punching our weight and are competitive in every competition, I certainly wasn’t bored watching our game against Motherwell or Ross County, the St Mirren game didn’t go our way but it was far from boring.

Smartie
18-10-2021, 09:46 AM
What a **** thread. It’s like people are subtly trying to encourage fans to stop going. A couple of weeks ago there was threads about us finishing in the top 2 and now we’ve got fans saying they can’t be bothered going to games. I keep reading about how fans find this team boring and can’t connect with them. I don’t find them boring, I love watching hibs just now, for one of the few times in my lifetime we’re actually punching our weight and are competitive in every competition, I certainly wasn’t bored watching our game against Motherwell or Ross County, the St Mirren game didn’t go our way but it was far from boring.

Some of the football we played earlier this season was very good, I'm thinking particularly the Ross County game. We've not always put it together over 90 minutes but for half an hour at a time or a half game here and there we have played some lovely stuff.

You could argue that the fact we have it in us to come up with a stinker like Saturday makes it more unpredictable and more interesting.

I get pissed off and frustrated just like anyone, but I think that stems from the frustration that we're as close as we are to being a really good side - but not quite there yet.

JimBHibees
18-10-2021, 09:53 AM

Agree with that predominantly we have been very good this season however Saturday should be seen as a wake up call as we were so poor. I think it just highlights how important the guys not there are McGinn Porto Kyle and Christian. It does highlight clearly though how light the squad is.

PolmontHibby
18-10-2021, 09:54 AM
I am the complete reverse, getting really p'd off at missing games when the team is doing pretty much as well as it ever has in my 40+ years of attending.

Going off topic for a whine.....but difficult to make games other than on a Saturday due to work, and having had to miss game on Saturday for a different reason that means season ticket last used on 18th September and next Saturday game 4th December.

Will never give up season ticket though.

Key West
18-10-2021, 10:02 AM

All of this sounds like you are being far too logical.

He's here!
18-10-2021, 10:06 AM
I don't understand the concept to tell you the truth - "I'll never feel that high again". What has that got to do with supporting the team you love? Maybe it speaks of a flighty, entitled attitude from someone just using it as an excuse.

If I've given the impression he immediately downed tools after the cup final, that's not how it was. It was more of an awareness that the distance he'd put between himself and Edinburgh was going to make trips to watch Hibs much rarer, which then became a realisation that the urge to go was no longer as great. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that for those of us who were lucky enough to experience it nothing will ever top that moment for Hibs fans. The heady combination of emotions it brought together was extraordinary and unique.

I remember when I first started going to games regularly with pals at school in the late 70s and early 80s the crowds were truly dire. A quick check of season 82/83 for example shows we were regularly playing in front of less than 5k, sometimes less than 4k. Some on here seem outraged that anyone would ever consider stopping watching Hibs, but it's clearly far from a novel concept. Sure, the football was by and large awful, but I've met numerous older fans down the years who have simply drifted away from the club for various reasons.

I think for me it's a combination of things. In part it's to do with getting older, the fact my kids have either lost interest (or never had any) and play other sports (which I increasingly enjoy watching), the fact I rarely have time to get to the pub before or after games (for many years as important a part of the day as the game itself) and, ultimately, that I don't love football like I used to (I've long since stopped watching games not involving Hibs). Sitting there on Saturday I simply felt, not for the first time, that there are considerably more fulfilling ways to spend your time and money. It's a personal view, but I'm no longer sure the pleasure Hibs give me outweighs the frustration.

He's here!
18-10-2021, 10:10 AM
Like your mate, I moved south shortly after the 2016 final.

Unlike your mate, I still live and breathe hibs. I don't get to many games at all now but I am hibs through and through and it's a huge part of who I am.

Or possibly you've milked his story to take another unnecessary dig at our manager?

I don't think you'll find a single dig at Jack Ross from me on this forum until yesterday.

HH81
18-10-2021, 10:21 AM
Like your mate, I moved south shortly after the 2016 final.

The Manchester to Edinburgh service is still quite decent. Better than an afternoon at Old Trafford. 😁

Since I moved harder to get to a main line so driving now to a main station and getting the train up is my best way. The service up through Carlisle was decent except a delay on train up.

Nothing is ever that simple.

lord bunberry
18-10-2021, 10:26 AM
Some of the football we played earlier this season was very good, I'm thinking particularly the Ross County game. We've not always put it together over 90 minutes but for half an hour at a time or a half game here and there we have played some lovely stuff.

You could argue that the fact we have it in us to come up with a stinker like Saturday makes it more unpredictable and more interesting.

I get pissed off and frustrated just like anyone, but I think that stems from the frustration that we're as close as we are to being a really good side - but not quite there yet.
:agree: I totally agree. Fully fit I think we’re a match for anyone, but we’re light in numbers and quality when we have a few out injured. Saturday was hopefully just a one off and we’ll go and put on a show against Aberdeen.

lord bunberry
18-10-2021, 10:28 AM
Agree with that predominantly we have been very good this season however Saturday should be seen as a wake up call as we were so poor. I think it just highlights how important the guys not there are McGinn Porto Kyle and Christian. It does highlight clearly though how light the squad is.
So far the 2 loan players haven’t stepped up which certainly hasn’t helped. We’re far too reliant on Nisbet at the moment as well.

He's here!
18-10-2021, 10:28 AM
They also beat us 4-1 in the first match after 7-0. Did that get held against turnbull for years or did we move on back then?

Seriously, that match was nearly 2 years ago, get over it.

Sorry to be irritatingly pedantic, but it was in March 2020, which is some way short of two years ago. I know that it may seem a lot longer due to lockdown etc, but I was just pointing out that Hearts have won at ER in the last two years.

FWIW re that 4-1 defeat after 7-0, I dug out some old Hibs books when reading the Alan Gordon thread and apparently we'd had a pretty intensive start to that season, beating Rangers and Celtic on our way to retaining the Drybrough Cup, followed by six League Cup ties prior to the start of the league season. According to Gordon, though, Eddie Turnbull was determined to really stick it to Hearts again and "hammered us in training then took us to Portobello baths for a session in the steam room. It was a classic example of Eddie driving us too hard at times and we were drained when we went out at Tynecastle."

Mind you, I think that was one of only two wins Hearts enjoyed over us in the 1970s and we thumped them again in the return fixture at ER. We also finished second in the league, just four points behind Celtic so a pretty good season.

MWHIBBIES
18-10-2021, 10:40 AM
Sorry to be irritatingly pedantic, but it was in March 2020, which is some way short of two years ago. I know that it may seem a lot longer due to lockdown etc, but I was just pointing out that Hearts have won at ER in the last two years.

FWIW re that 4-1 defeat after 7-0, I dug out some old Hibs books when reading the Alan Gordon thread and apparently we'd had a pretty intensive start to that season, beating Rangers and Celtic on our way to retaining the Drybrough Cup, followed by six League Cup ties prior to the start of the league season. According to Gordon, though, Eddie Turnbull was determined to really stick it to Hearts again and "hammered us in training then took us to Portobello baths for a session in the steam room. It was a classic example of Eddie driving us too hard at times and we were drained when we went out at Tynecastle."

Mind you, I think that was one of only two wins Hearts enjoyed over us in the 1970s and we thumped them again in the return fixture at ER. We also finished second in the league, just four points behind Celtic so a pretty good season.

I never said Hearts didn't win at Easter Road, I said those sides had not beaten us at their home grounds. Our away form is sensational. Not exactly a sign of a team with no spine.

matty_f
18-10-2021, 11:09 AM

I’m the same. I was bored rigid on Saturday, and have been a couple of times but no more so than at times under literally any other manager we’ve had since i started watching, with the possible exception of Mowbray.

I’m not sure if it’s just my perception, but it feels to me very much like Jack Ross is being held to a completely different standard than any other manager I can remember - from results not being enough to the big game chat to the games are boring stuff.

I get that some people just haven’t taken to him, that’s their opinion and that’s totally up to them but it does seem to be an awful lot of “can’t quite put my finger on it” reasoning applied to it.

Crunchie
18-10-2021, 11:27 AM

We’re all entitled to our opinions and I’m in much the same boat as your but my sabbatical has been just over a year, but I think you”re way off the mark with Jack, he’s not been given nearly enough time to build his own squad. I think by the time next season starts you’ll have seen all the dead wood from previous seasons gone and it will be all his players. I think he’ll be a roaring success if given time. I honestly don’t know what more people want in a manager, just ask the dons fans who complained about McInnes how that’s working out for them.

lord bunberry
18-10-2021, 11:30 AM
I’m the same. I was bored rigid on Saturday, and have been a couple of times but no more so than at times under literally any other manager we’ve had since i started watching, with the possible exception of Mowbray.

I’m not sure if it’s just my perception, but it feels to me very much like Jack Ross is being held to a completely different standard than any other manager I can remember - from results not being enough to the big game chat to the games are boring stuff.

I get that some people just haven’t taken to him, that’s their opinion and that’s totally up to them but it does seem to be an awful lot of “can’t quite put my finger on it” reasoning applied to it.
You’re right and I just don’t understand it. I’m loving watching us winning most weeks and at times it’s been playing excellent football. Saturday was awful, but it’s unusual for us to play that badly. There’s a section of our support who for whatever reason just don’t like Ross and that’s unlikely to change, but I’d say be careful what you wish for to these people, look at Aberdeen right now.

matty_f
18-10-2021, 11:30 AM
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/heres-where-celtic-rangers-hearts-and-hibs-should-be-in-the-scottish-premiership-table-according-to-the-stats-3422889

Obviously counts for nothing when it’s all about points on the board, but some context on our performances over and above just points gained and, again, Jack Ross’s side come out well.

He's here!
18-10-2021, 11:44 AM
I never said Hearts didn't win at Easter Road, I said those sides had not beaten us at their home grounds. Our away form is sensational. Not exactly a sign of a team with no spine.

Ah, got you. I misunderstood your post.

Yep, can't argue with the away form. Hopefully that will be maintained at Pittodrie.

Fuzzywuzzy
18-10-2021, 11:48 AM
We are consistently inconsistent

Smartie
18-10-2021, 11:54 AM

I think the fact that he's been lucky and unlucky in the cups has counted against him hugely.

He's been lucky to get favourable draws most of the way through but he's done well to beat almost all of what has been in front of him. This has raised expectation, and the cup defeats have therefore been hugely disappointing.

Disappointment is hard to take and it's affected some people more than others.

The "can't quite put my finger on it" stuff is probably just down to the simple fact that some of us feel like we should have done a wee bit better than we have and that some of our problems feel avoidable or self-inflicted. Was it too much to ask to get the better of St Johnstone last season? Or just to have got a bit further in the 3 cup opportunities we were presented with at Hampden? In our position should we really have finished the summer transfer window with the squad we did? I realise these things aren't fully down to Ross (some possibly not remotely down to Ross) but in football scapegoating the manager often seems to be the most effective way to voice disquiet.

If we got rid of Ross, I don't think we'd improve, quite the opposite in fact. That's not to say I think he's perfect and there aren't things I'd maybe like to see him do differently.

He's here!
18-10-2021, 11:57 AM

The problem for me is that I very much HAVE taken to him. I was very pleased when we landed him. I didn't really see anything of Sunderland's performances under him but at St Mirren I remember seeing him take us apart at Love Street (could easily have been more than 2-0) and he made them into an exciting side which he transformed from relegation candidates to Championship winners. Even when he was at Alloa I remember watching us beat them at ER but being impressed by how they tried to play.

I like the way he talks, the way he analyses games and his vision for the club. However, I think what is frustrating is that while statistically his record is very good, it's pretty rare (as others have mentioned) to come away from a Hibs game (at least those at ER) buzzing about what you've just watched. That, coupled with the peppering of truly abject performances like Saturday's and I think (if this counts as 'putting my finger on it'), his team lacks the character which inspires fans to really get behind them. The only exception this season I can think of is the way they dug deep at Tynecastle, never looking like they were getting beat.

Keith_M
18-10-2021, 12:01 PM
Your mate sounds fictitious :greengrin

I've got a 'mate' that told me that after spending the night with Brooke Shields, he's given up on sex, as it'll just never match up to that experience

Smartie
18-10-2021, 12:11 PM
The problem for me is that I very much HAVE taken to him. I was very pleased when we landed him. I didn't really see anything of Sunderland's performances under him but at St Mirren I remember seeing him take us apart at Love Street (could easily have been more than 2-0) and he made them into an exciting side which he transformed from relegation candidates to Championship winners. Even when he was at Alloa I remember watching us beat them at ER but being impressed by how they tried to play.

I like the way he talks, the way he analyses games and his vision for the club. However, I think what is frustrating is that while statistically his record is very good, it's pretty rare (as others have mentioned) to come away from a Hibs game (at least those at ER) buzzing about what you've just watched. That, coupled with the peppering of truly abject performances like Saturday's and I think (if this counts as 'putting my finger on it'), his team lacks the character which inspires fans to really get behind them. The only exception this season I can think of is the way they dug deep at Tynecastle, never looking like they were getting beat.

He could definitely do with a few convincing performances at home.

Some of the away wins last season would have been great to have been at, different expectations there.

We've not seen that much of his team playing in the flesh so far and the majority of us will do that watching at ER where we've been unconvincing throughout his time at the club.

His side does come over more as an "effective on the break away from home" one than a "let's make ER a fortress and dominate teams from the first whistle" one.

Mr. Wonderful
18-10-2021, 12:28 PM

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, that was a brave thing to do on a website that, let's face it, isn't likely to have many contributors feeling the way you are. Anyone who spends their free time posting regularly on here isn't likely to even be able to show sympathy, so please don't take the worst of responses as a reflection of the whole support.

I have friends who've also stopped going and their reasoning, with the exception of the moving away thing, could literally have been copy and pasted.

The way one of my pals described it was that the doesn't feel the highs at all any more, but still feels the lows just as much if not more.

WhileTheChief..
18-10-2021, 12:38 PM

I’m a huge fan of JR and hope he’s with us for years to come.

I took to him immediately after he got the job and can’t think of anyone else I’d like to replace him with.

I think his signings have mostly been crap though and when we play at ER we are boring as hell to watch most games.

It’s fine for you to say you were bored rigid on Saturday but can’t understand why some people have been bored at other games? How does that work?!

The Modfather
18-10-2021, 12:52 PM

There very well might be an element of some quarters of the support unfairly holding him to different standards than previous managers. The flip side to that is I think Ross is working at a time the envy of many previous managers. From the professional set up we now have to the investment being made (of which Ross has spent well). Not just the fees we are now regularly paying out but turning down big bids for players and not having the team broken up on the back of a strong league finish as is usually the case.

B.H.F.C
18-10-2021, 01:05 PM
There very well might be an element of some quarters of the support unfairly holding him to different standards than previous managers. The flip side to that is I think Ross is working at a time the envy of many previous managers. From the professional set up we now have to the investment being made (of which Ross has spent well). Not just the fees we are now regularly paying out but turning down big bids for players and not having the team broken up on the back of a strong league finish as is usually the case.

Last point is why I’m really annoyed at the moment. There wasn’t the rebuild that comes on the back of a good season normally (remember summer 2018). I think Ross has been let down in the summer. That said, I’ve never enjoyed watching this team as much as I have our previous teams that you’d maybe class as having comparable success league wise.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-10-2021, 01:11 PM
The way one of my pals described it was that the doesn't feel the highs at all any more, but still feels the lows just as much if not more.

That's pretty much where I am at too.

matty_f
18-10-2021, 01:13 PM
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, that was a brave thing to do on a website that, let's face it, isn't likely to have many contributors feeling the way you are. Anyone who spends their free time posting regularly on here isn't likely to even be able to show sympathy, so please don't take the worst of responses as a reflection of the whole support.

I have friends who've also stopped going and their reasoning, with the exception of the moving away thing, could literally have been copy and pasted.

With the contempt you show to users of this site, I’m surprised you bother using it.

matty_f
18-10-2021, 01:15 PM
I’m a huge fan of JR and hope he’s with us for years to come.

I took to him immediately after he got the job and can’t think of anyone else I’d like to replace him with.

I think his signings have mostly been crap though and when we play at ER we are boring as hell to watch most games.

It’s fine for you to say you were bored rigid on Saturday but can’t understand why some people have been bored at other games? How does that work?!
Saturday’s game was murder, we had about 2 attempts on target the whole game. Most other games haven’t been.

He's here!
18-10-2021, 01:20 PM

There's certainly some truth in that for me.

Cheers for your post. Not a big problem for me being honest about my views though. I'm pretty thick skinned about it. If you take a look at the Holy Ground forum you'll see I take plenty flak for not sharing the political views of the majority :wink:

Kato
18-10-2021, 01:25 PM
I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that for those of us who were lucky enough to experience it nothing will ever top that moment for Hibs fans.

If everyone supporting a Scottish football team invoked "reason" into their motives for attending there would very few supporters at all. For the vast majority of fans it's an emotional thing.

Mr. Wonderful
18-10-2021, 01:48 PM
With the contempt you show to users of this site, I’m surprised you bother using it.

My point wasn't intended as a slight on individuals, if you're a regular poster on this site you're more than likely a very happy and fully engaged Hibs fan and more likely to be outraged at any individual who doesn't perhaps see things in your way.

If you want to talk about contempt, let's talk about the contempt you showed the hibernian community when you showed up in a studio on live TV dressed like you'd been "covered in glue and kicked through" your local charity shop.

WhileTheChief..
18-10-2021, 01:48 PM
Saturday’s game was murder, we had about 2 attempts on target the whole game. Most other games haven’t been.

That's not the case for a lot of folk though, you don't get to decide if someone else is bored or not!!!

I dunno. I've found going to ER pretty boring each game this season. Very little or no buzz leading up to kick off and then pretty flat during the game.

There's also a thread discussing the lack of atmosphere, which in part is down to what we see on the pitch.

Saying things are boring isn't exactly the harshest of criticism out there.

matty_f
18-10-2021, 01:50 PM
My point wasn't intended as a slight on individuals, if you're a regular poster on this site you're more than likely a very happy and fully engaged Hibs fan and more likely to be outraged at any individual who doesn't perhaps see things in your way.

If you want to talk about contempt, let's talk about the contempt you showed the hibernian community when you showed up in a studio on live TV dressed like you'd been "covered in glue and kicked through" your local charity shop.
:faf: that is superb.

Do you mind if i use that later on for my podcast?

matty_f
18-10-2021, 01:51 PM
That's not the case for a lot of folk though, you don't get to decide if someone else is bored or not!!!

I dunno. I've found going to ER pretty boring each game this season. Very little or no buzz leading up to kick off and then pretty flat during the game.

There's also a thread discussing the lack of atmosphere, which in part is down to what we see on the pitch.

Saying things are boring isn't exactly the harshest of criticism out there.
Sorry, i meant the other games weren’t boring for me.

I don’t think I’ve said it’s the harshest criticism and i think i said folk were entitled to their opinions as well.

Pretty Boy
18-10-2021, 01:58 PM

You might have to credit Ryan Porteous as the line is stolen (almost)word for word from him.

Guy does have a fair point though:faf:

matty_f
18-10-2021, 02:00 PM
You might have to credit Ryan Porteous as the line is stolen (almost)word for word from him.

Guy does have a fair point though:faf:

No argument from me either, that was straight into the group chat to get the slaughtering from my mates as well. :faf:

Danderhall Hibs
18-10-2021, 02:11 PM

You seem like a nice guy. Be good to see more of you on here so you can educate those in need about sympathy and empathy and that.

flash
18-10-2021, 02:15 PM
More than one example of people ascribing their own views to imaginary friends on this thread for my money.

Peevemor
18-10-2021, 02:18 PM

Thank goodness you're here. I was worried that we were running out of things to moan about.

Northernhibee
18-10-2021, 02:18 PM

The quotation marks really make that comment.

BILLYHIBS
18-10-2021, 02:22 PM

And the award for HIBS.net 2021 Post OF The Year goes to .....

Smartie
18-10-2021, 02:38 PM

Even allowing for the part plagiarism, my mate thinks that that is the best insult he's read on here in years and made him laugh out loud.

matty_f
18-10-2021, 02:45 PM
Even allowing for the part plagiarism, my mate thinks that that is the best insult he's read on here in years and made him laugh out loud.

I laughed out loud as well!

It’s been three weeks so obviously been bothering him for a bit!

blackpoolhibs
18-10-2021, 02:45 PM

:agree:
It's a rehash of a Frankie Boyle insult.

Mr. Wonderful
18-10-2021, 03:04 PM
I laughed out loud as well!

It’s been three weeks so obviously been bothering him for a bit!

Yes. I'm glad you've taken it in the light hearted manner it definitely wasn't intended in 😉

jacomo
18-10-2021, 03:04 PM
:agree:
It's a rehash of a Frankie Boyle insult.

If Porto’s a Frankie Boyle fan he’s alright by me.

Since452
18-10-2021, 03:07 PM

Exactly what it was. The game prior we were absolutely bossing the champions at Ibrox who took until the second half to register a shot on goal against 10 men,.

matty_f
18-10-2021, 03:32 PM
Yes. I'm glad you've taken it in the light hearted manner it definitely wasn't intended in 😉

Fortunately there are not many folk who will laugh at me more than I do.

RCNG
18-10-2021, 04:34 PM
OP clearly at it here. No one on here has friends.

Just_Jimmy
18-10-2021, 04:47 PM
I don't think you'll find a single dig at Jack Ross from me on this forum until yesterday.Maybe so, but it's another thread adding to the constant digs from a regular group.

If that wasn't your intention then I apologise.

However, It's not a great drum to be banging.

Just_Jimmy
18-10-2021, 04:51 PM
The Manchester to Edinburgh service is still quite decent. Better than an afternoon at Old Trafford. [emoji16]

Since I moved harder to get to a main line so driving now to a main station and getting the train up is my best way. The service up through Carlisle was decent except a delay on train up.

Nothing is ever that simple.

I don't get to Easter Road as often as I would like due to personal circumstances. It has nothing to do with a lack of desire to be there.

Viva_Palmeiras
18-10-2021, 05:00 PM

I think if you explore things a little further what you might find is whilst we tend to view things in the right here, right now - moreso in times of tinternet - it’s likely that folks following of a team will ebb and flow as their stage in life progresses - the life of a young gun teen Hibee will differ to the single Hibee going home and away to the Hibee with a partner expecting to one with a wee yin and then a brood through to the Old Timers seen the best and the worst of the Hibees through thick and thin.

We all have our own personal Hibee journey - the club will do well to try to understand the dynamic of how that evolves.

That said I really detest a pile-on in any shape or form although we probably all succumbed at one point or another. And I’ll have been guilty as charged at points. But I do find it sticks in the craw to hear one tale which may or not be an outlier result in folks perpetuating a downer on my team. Jambos or dyed-in-the-wool Hibees one of which the club needs to pay attention to.

WeeRussell
18-10-2021, 06:52 PM
Stubbsy and your “mate” must be the only two folk on the planet that packed in Hibs for the same reason (not withstanding the alternative versions of why AS left us).

I don’t think it takes a genius to work out that I’ll never have another weekend following Hibs like 2016… it won’t stop me trying every season though. It’s what being a supporter is all about.

Also, that weekend gave many of us a lot of boosted pride and belonging to the club. Not the opposite.

lyonhibs
20-10-2021, 06:54 AM
Your mate's a twat.

A bit harsh perhaps, but in principle I agree. I've lived away from Scotland for over a decade now and - pre-Corona - travelled back 2 or 3 times a year for games (though famously not for 21.05.2016 but I don't want to talk about it).

Distance certainly makes it easier and I am less involved in Hibs than I used to be, what with a kid and another on the way, but it never goes away fully IMO. I have had a couple of "almost clean break" moments in the last few years but 1 return visit to ER, pints with mates, watching the players run out onto the pitch and then the inevitable disappointment of a gash performance (:greengrin) and I'm back and bitten again.

Certainly planning for 2022 trips home will involve checking the fixtures calendar first (and on the sly, need to act surprised when it turns out Hibs are at home that weekend to the good lady wife)