PDA

View Full Version : We've not become a bad team overnight, but..................

theonlywayisup
16-10-2021, 07:42 PM
.....we are so predictable to play against.

I'm no football expert, but it's pretty obvious that if you stop the supply to Boyle then you've done pretty well to nullify Hibs. The best way to stop the supply is to win the midfield battle, which DU did pretty effectively today, and to pressurise our centre-backs, which again DU did today. Same with other teams in recent seasons, especially St Johnstone. Both centre-backs had no time on the ball and no option other to launch aimless punts forward, which was so easy for the DU defenders, especially as they don't have to worry about Doidge.

Today, we lost the midfield, but it's no surprise to me that we lost the game. We can't play compete with a midfield consisting of an out-of-sorts Scott Allan, a workmanlike Doyle-Hayes and a lazy Joe Newell. The linkage between midfield & attack and midfield & defence was non-existent today and is often the case when we play teams that 'win' the midfield.

As I've said, I'm no expert, but we can't play competitive teams with a front three of Murphy, Nisbet and Boyle. We need four or even five players in midfield to win the battle and get Boyle and Nisbet moving forward as a front two, supported by midfield.

As a slight aside, even when Boyle did get the ball today, it was pretty obvious that the message to the opposition players is take him down early, as a free-kick to Hibs 35 yards from goal a much more attractive option than facing a Boyle running at you at full speed. Which takes me back to my main point, nullify Boyle and Hibs become a poor and predictable team to play against.

Waxy
16-10-2021, 08:05 PM
We still have Boyle though and it’ll take a fair effort to nulify him which opens other doors for us.

Steve20
16-10-2021, 08:33 PM
It’s not overnight, you’re right.

Dundee away
Hearts away
St Mirren home
Dundee Utd home.

We’re not a bad team overnight. We’re just a bog average team. That’s exactly what we are. We won’t win a cup and we won’t finish top 3 this season.

We have a fan base that’s happy with the drivel that Jack Ross puts out. We won’t achieve any more while accepting this crap.

Coco Bryce
16-10-2021, 09:18 PM

Dundee away
Hearts away
St Mirren home
Dundee Utd home.

We’re not a bad team overnight. We’re just a bog average team. That’s exactly what we are. We won’t win a cup and we won’t finish top 3 this season.

We have a fan base that’s happy with the drivel that Jack Ross puts out. We won’t achieve any more while accepting this crap.

Lose to the worst Aberdeen team in years next week and this place will go into full on meltdown.

Peevemor
16-10-2021, 09:28 PM

Dundee away
Hearts away
St Mirren home
Dundee Utd home.

We have a fan base that’s happy with the drivel that Jack Ross puts out. We won’t achieve any more while accepting this crap.We can't all be experts.

green day
16-10-2021, 09:31 PM
We can't all be experts.

We don't all have to be experts.

He's right.

We are predictable and half decent managers, as well as all of us, have sussed out our slow, one paced game (aside from Boyle) is easy to nullify.

Quite how we are this poor, and have almost no options off the bench, with >10000 st holders baffles me.

gaz1875
16-10-2021, 09:33 PM
The first few games of the season we were looking sharp and pinging the ball around. We have now fallen back to default mode, slow as **** and don't close other teams down like they manage to close us down. Without Porteous, Doidge and Gogic we are utter powderpuff as well. WTF has happened to JDH, I thought he was going to be a standout player not an invisible player.

Peevemor
16-10-2021, 09:37 PM

He's right.

We are predictable and half decent managers, as well as all of us, have sussed out our slow, one paced game (aside from Boyle) is easy to nullify.

Quite how we are this poor, and have almost no options off the bench, with >10000 st holders baffles me.I was referring more to Steve20's inference that everyone's an idiot except him.

green day
16-10-2021, 09:38 PM
I was referring more to Steve20's inference that everyone's an idiot except him.

That can't be true, as I am really clever too😁

Coco Bryce
16-10-2021, 09:42 PM

He's right.

Quite how we are this poor, and have almost no options off the bench, with >10000 st holders baffles me.

The thing is how long will RG persist with it?

The booing at the the game today hadn't been heard as loud as that since the Butcher era. A few more defeats like today and its back to they dark days. The Jan transfer window is going to be massive for us.

wookie70
16-10-2021, 09:48 PM

The booing at the the game today hadn't been heard as loud as that since the Butcher era. A few more defeats like today and its back to they dark days. The Jan transfer window is going to be massive for us.

There wasn't that many left at the end of the game so top booing. It is the first time since that final I have considered leaving early. I've no issue with players having an off day but if they aren't willing to put a full shift in then they can't expect supporters to do so. The East was almost empty when the ref blew up.

Coco Bryce
16-10-2021, 09:49 PM
There wasn't that many left at the end of the game so top booing. It is the first time since that final I have considered leaving early. I've no issue with players having an off day but if they aren't willing to put a full shift in then they can't expect supporters to do so. The East was almost empty when the ref blew up.

The booing was during the game, It was loud and clear in the East then they all left.

Pagan Hibernia
16-10-2021, 09:56 PM

Dundee away
Hearts away
St Mirren home
Dundee Utd home.

we were ok at Dundee (one poor defensive lapse cost us two points) and we played well at tynecastle

matty_f
16-10-2021, 09:59 PM
I’d hate to see the reaction on here if there were folk who’d just been waiting for a bad performance to tear into Jack Ross.

stoneyburn hibs
16-10-2021, 10:03 PM

I'm no football expert, but it's pretty obvious that if you stop the supply to Boyle then you've done pretty well to nullify Hibs. The best way to stop the supply is to win the midfield battle, which DU did pretty effectively today, and to pressurise our centre-backs, which again DU did today. Same with other teams in recent seasons, especially St Johnstone. Both centre-backs had no time on the ball and no option other to launch aimless punts forward, which was so easy for the DU defenders, especially as they don't have to worry about Doidge.

Today, we lost the midfield, but it's no surprise to me that we lost the game. We can't play compete with a midfield consisting of an out-of-sorts Scott Allan, a workmanlike Doyle-Hayes and a lazy Joe Newell. The linkage between midfield & attack and midfield & defence was non-existent today and is often the case when we play teams that 'win' the midfield.

As I've said, I'm no expert, but we can't play competitive teams with a front three of Murphy, Nisbet and Boyle. We need four or even five players in midfield to win the battle and get Boyle and Nisbet moving forward as a front two, supported by midfield.

As a slight aside, even when Boyle did get the ball today, it was pretty obvious that the message to the opposition players is take him down early, as a free-kick to Hibs 35 yards from goal a much more attractive option than facing a Boyle running at you at full speed. Which takes me back to my main point, nullify Boyle and Hibs become a poor and predictable team to play against.

Fair assessment, time for JR to earn his coin and look for a 2nd and 3rd option other than MB

Onceinawhile
16-10-2021, 10:19 PM
Fair assessment, time for JR to earn his coin and look for a 2nd and 3rd option other than MB

Tbf, we're also missing Kyle magennis and Christian doidge, both of whom could be expected to make a decent impact.

stoneyburn hibs
16-10-2021, 10:30 PM
Tbf, we're also missing Kyle magennis and Christian doidge, both of whom could be expected to make a decent impact.

We're badly missing Doidge, we also shouldn't be as limited as we are right now.
The squad depth is terrible.

lord bunberry
16-10-2021, 11:54 PM

You’re right we’ve not become a bad team. We had a mare today, but we’ll still comfortably finish third.

Brooster
17-10-2021, 12:16 AM
You’re right we’ve not become a bad team. We had a mare today, but we’ll still comfortably finish third.

No chance we will comfortably finish 3rd. Not a hope in hell unless we get rid of the non triers. Any midfield in the top 2 leagues in Scotland would get get the better of a midfield containing Allan and Newell who seem more interested in making sure their hair is in place than getting wired in.

Smartie
17-10-2021, 04:14 AM
We’ve not become a bad team overnight but we weren’t a great one to begin with. We’re average.

Without significant strengthening we’ll finish 7th or 8th.

With decent strengthening (and depending what other clubs do) we should be anywhere up to 3rd.

The size of squad, lack of depth and number of injuries we pick up is of concern. We’ve also got too many players with glaring weaknesses who cannot play in teams who play a certain way.

Yesterday was an absolute hiding and I’ve got much optimism that they won’t become a fairly regular occurrence. If a first choice CH gets injured we’re in big trouble.

Doidge getting fit is key, because we’re carrying a passenger in Nisbet right now as well.

heretoday
17-10-2021, 04:27 AM
Ross has little choice but to soldier on with these guys.
There must be some alternative attacking ploy than getting it to Boyle.
You could tell from the start that it wasn't going to be a good day.

southern hibby
17-10-2021, 05:07 AM
Watched Dundee Utd warm up and their intensity levels was far superior to Hibs. It was the same up at Utd in the cup. I personally thought D Utd at tannadice was the better team second half and looked far fitter than we do, same again yesterday looked far fitter.

At present we are a one trick pony going forward with Boyle as already stated. However we make things very hard for ourselves with poor passing the ball forward as the number of times it goes behind a player not in front of them to keep up the momentum allowing teams time to re organise.

Anyway Aberdeen, Celtic and Ross County next up and it could be a hard fortnight of footy results for us if we play like we just did.

GGTTH

Mickey Weir
17-10-2021, 05:57 AM
I think it's time to inject some youth into the team. We have some of the best young talent in the country, let's see how they do as it can't be any worse than what we're watching at the moment.

Currie Hibee
17-10-2021, 06:26 AM
I think it's time to inject some youth into the team. We have some of the best young talent in the country, let's see how they do as it can't be any worse than what we're watching at the moment.

I feel for Gullan, he could easily have come on wide left for Murphy or up top but he just sat on the bench. JR clearly doesn’t fancy him.

Pretty Boy
17-10-2021, 07:03 AM
It's probably not relevant to this thread but it's also not worth a thread of it's own.

Anyway I stumbled across a couple of videos on Twitter of Celtic fans reaction towards their manager at FT yerterday. By their standards they have not had a good start to the season. Already trailing Rangers, lost the derby, out the CL, struggling in the Europa League etc etc. Yet their manager got a huge ovation from them and the general feel I get is that they really like him.

Part of that is they know they have a huge rebuild on and their anger is aimed elsewhere. Equally though his attacking, exciting style resonates with them. They love the energy of their team and they love the 'if you score 1 goal, we' ll score 2' mentality. I think fans will forgive a lot if they are entertained.

That's one thing I rarely feel watching Hibs these days. More often than not I'm satisfied with the result and ultimately you can't put up much of an argument against the manager when that is the case. I struggle to find much enthusiasm though as I find us utterly boring most of the time. It's functional football with Martin Boyle being one bright spark and Scott Allan occasionally turning the clock back.

As long as it works and we get results the grumbling will remain an undercurrent, flaring up a bit more after days like yesterday, but the majority will remain onside even if in cases like mine it:s a bit grudging. If we lose a few in a row and drop a couple of places in the table I don't think it will take much for a fair few to turn. You heard the reaction towards the end of the game yesterday and that was from people who had both bothered to turn up in the 1st place and then stayed long after a huge majority had walked out.

Alfred E Newman
17-10-2021, 07:15 AM
The first few games of the season we were looking sharp and pinging the ball around. We have now fallen back to default mode, slow as **** and don't close other teams down like they manage to close us down. Without Porteous, Doidge and Gogic we are utter powderpuff as well. WTF has happened to JDH, I thought he was going to be a standout player not an invisible player.
JDH was fighting a losing battle in midfield yesterday given the lack of commitment round about him.

Perfect Hatrick
17-10-2021, 07:15 AM
We’re an average team in Scottish football terms imo.

Without significant strengthening in January we’ll finish somewhere around mid table and we’ll certainly not be third again.

mcohibs
17-10-2021, 07:21 AM
We're badly missing Doidge, we also shouldn't be as limited as we are right now.
The squad depth is terrible.

This is the biggest concern for me

Booked4Being-Ugly
17-10-2021, 07:23 AM
JDH was fighting a losing battle in midfield yesterday given the lack of commitment round about him.

Where's all this selective praise of JDH coming from? He was as useless as the rest yesterday and went into hiding himself.

Brightside
17-10-2021, 07:27 AM

Without significant strengthening in January we’ll finish somewhere around mid table and we’ll certainly not be third again.

We clearly aren’t an average football team in Scotland. I’d agree we are an average team. But in Scotland we are a top 4 team ergo not average.

Perfect Hatrick
17-10-2021, 07:29 AM
We clearly aren’t an average football team in Scotland. I’d agree we are an average team. But in Scotland we are a top 4 team ergo not average.

We’re not in the top four so I’m not sure how you can say that in such a matter of fact way. We were a top 3 team last season and above average. Our results this season though would suggest we’re not as good a team this season.

We’re currently sitting in that mid table area outside the top 4. That’s pretty average to me.

Smartie
17-10-2021, 07:36 AM
Where's all this selective praise of JDH coming from? He was as useless as the rest yesterday and went into hiding himself.

I'd say he was probably the biggest disappointment for me yesterday.

The game was crying out for him to take responsibility and get in about it but he didn't. He hid and just didn't fancy it.

His level of performance through August was very high and he was a revelation tbh.

He needs to give himself a shake.

Pretty Boy
17-10-2021, 07:39 AM
I'd say he was probably the biggest disappointment for me yesterday.

The game was crying out for him to take responsibility and get in about it but he didn't. He hid and just didn't fancy it.

His level of performance through August was very high and he was a revelation tbh.

He needs to give himself a shake.

I think he probably gets a bit of slack because of the covid situation. It may have taken a bit out of him and he could still be battling back to full fitness.

Again it's probably testament to how light we are that I can't think of any option other than to play him yesterday though. The only other choice currently is Gogic who I highly doubt will be a Hibs player beyond his current contract.

Nicho87
17-10-2021, 07:41 AM
I like jdh but one pass summed hibs up yesterday

Ball was desperate to be pinged out wide to Boyle so 1v1 with the full back

Jdh jogged a further 20 yards with the ball sent the pass out slowly by the time the ball reached Boyle jdh had brought another two players with him

Simple little thing but our tempo was a joke yesterday

Wood and hanlon slow drivel

madhatter
17-10-2021, 07:57 AM
What worries me is the best of ourselves comment by Jack Ross. He acknowledged we didn't do that against Dundee United but it sounded like he thought we did it fairly often.

If we are playing at our best possible capacity most of the time, why are our wins regularly tight, some decided on penalties?

We should be beating teams 3-0 at home. We won't see that often unless this team gets a whole redesign.

No surprise on our home record. We rarely take the game to the opponents at home. If we can't counterattack we run out of ideas and pass side to side at the back.

Northernhibee
17-10-2021, 08:00 AM
We’re the sort of team that can be absolutely sublime but ever so often will have an absolute stinker of a performance (Ross County last season, Livi in Dec ‘19) etc.

We also seem to usually bounce back from that fairly quickly and rarely risk it becoming a genuine bad run of results and form.

There appear to be some of the usual suspects absolutely wallowing in it again and I’m looking forward to us getting back to winning ways and keeping them quiet again.

Key West
17-10-2021, 08:06 AM
Not based on the performance yesterday but I have the feeling that though Jack Ross has improved us we are not making further progress. It seems that a trip to Easter Road for any opposition is a welcoming and comfortable one, plenty of time on the ball and the luxury of settling into the game, we appear to be very one paced,lacking any sort of tempo in our passing and relying on one or two players to make things happen for us.

madhatter
17-10-2021, 08:07 AM
We’re the sort of team that can be absolutely sublime but ever so often will have an absolute stinker of a performance (Ross County last season, Livi in Dec ‘19) etc.

We also seem to usually bounce back from that fairly quickly and rarely risk it becoming a genuine bad run of results and form.

There appear to be some of the usual suspects absolutely wallowing in it again and I’m looking forward to us getting back to winning ways and keeping them quiet again.

Name a game we've been absolutely sublime. I'm assuming it is a 5-0 win?

Suggest you look forward to Hibs winning so you can enjoy the win rather than sticking it to paying fans that had to endure that nonsense yesterday. There's usual suspects that take their defence to ridiculous levels. Jack Ross said any criticism that comes their way is deserved after yesterday.
Are we becoming a comfortable club for any one who isn't Graeme Mathie?

hibbydog
17-10-2021, 08:10 AM
We’re not in the top four so I’m not sure how you can say that in such a matter of fact way. We were a top 3 team last season and above average. Our results this season though would suggest we’re not as good a team this season.

We’re currently sitting in that mid table area outside the top 4. That’s pretty average to me.

The league table doesn’t lie. We are bang average.

The season we got relegated under Butcher, every game was like that yesterday. No fight. No belief. Predicable and easy to play against.

We play like that every week and there’s only going to be one outcome.

Yes we are badly missing Doidge, but we haven’t recruited well enough to cover him. It’s our own stupid fault.

That’s as bad as I’ve seen Hibs for a number of years against a decent, but limited side.

No more days like yesterday please

Northernhibee
17-10-2021, 08:11 AM
The league table doesn’t lie. We are bang average.

The season we got relegated under Butcher, every game was like that yesterday. No fight. No belief. Predicable and easy to play against.

We play like that every week and there’s only going to be one outcome.

Yes we are badly missing Doidge, but we haven’t recruited well enough to cover him. It’s our own stupid fault.

That’s as bad as I’ve seen Hibs for a number of years against a decent, but limited side.

No more days like yesterday please

We don’t and won’t play like that every week though.

B.H.F.C
17-10-2021, 08:12 AM
We have the core of a decent team and with a bit of proper business in the summer could really have kicked on. I’m not Ross’s biggest fan but he was let down in the summer and were suffering for it now.

Can take getting beat but their attitude yesterday was a disgrace. The way they come out and start games (or don’t start games) at ER has to come from Ross though.

Northernhibee
17-10-2021, 08:13 AM
Name a game we've been absolutely sublime. I'm assuming it is a 5-0 win?

Suggest you look forward to Hibs winning so you can enjoy the win rather than sticking it to paying fans that had to endure that nonsense yesterday. There's usual suspects that take their defence to ridiculous levels. Jack Ross said any criticism that comes their way is deserved after yesterday.
Are we becoming a comfortable club for any one who isn't Graeme Mathie?

Name what part of my post is a defence of the team to “ridiculous levels”.

madhatter
17-10-2021, 08:17 AM
Name what part of my post is a defence of the team to “ridiculous levels”.

"Usual subjects absolutely wallowing in it again". You couldn't just debate the performance of the team, you had to throw in criticism of fellow fans, even saying you'll love it when we win so they shut up. That for me is ridiculous.

B.H.F.C
17-10-2021, 08:20 AM
It's probably not relevant to this thread but it's also not worth a thread of it's own.

Anyway I stumbled across a couple of videos on Twitter of Celtic fans reaction towards their manager at FT yerterday. By their standards they have not had a good start to the season. Already trailing Rangers, lost the derby, out the CL, struggling in the Europa League etc etc. Yet their manager got a huge ovation from them and the general feel I get is that they really like him.

Part of that is they know they have a huge rebuild on and their anger is aimed elsewhere. Equally though his attacking, exciting style resonates with them. They love the energy of their team and they love the 'if you score 1 goal, we' ll score 2' mentality. I think fans will forgive a lot if they are entertained.

That's one thing I rarely feel watching Hibs these days. More often than not I'm satisfied with the result and ultimately you can't put up much of an argument against the manager when that is the case. I struggle to find much enthusiasm though as I find us utterly boring most of the time. It's functional football with Martin Boyle being one bright spark and Scott Allan occasionally turning the clock back.

As long as it works and we get results the grumbling will remain an undercurrent, flaring up a bit more after days like yesterday, but the majority will remain onside even if in cases like mine it:s a bit grudging. If we lose a few in a row and drop a couple of places in the table I don't think it will take much for a fair few to turn. You heard the reaction towards the end of the game yesterday and that was from people who had both bothered to turn up in the 1st place and then stayed long after a huge majority had walked out.

There are clearly plenty folk not connecting with our team/manager going by the number of empty seats. Even before a ball was kicked yesterday, there was absolutely no buzz about the place either. I think there are a lot of people in the same boat as you, can’t complain too much with the results but don’t particularly enjoy it.

GreenCastle
17-10-2021, 08:24 AM
This has been coming since the transfer window shut.

Lack of recruitment in areas we needed.

Even I’m now worried with folk saying wait till Doidge is back. He’s had a really bad injury. We need to sign another goalscorer.

I agree with the original poster we are too predictable to play against. We have to be careful with Boyle - 3 games in a short space of time plus travelling, he could easily become injured then watch us struggle even more.

Our problem last season was we had too many players not helping the squad / contributing. This has happened again this season - the starting 11 basically pick itself and the bench is weak. No impact. Ok we have had some games subs have helped off the bench but you get the feeling Ross doesn’t trust / rate players like Gullan so he’s just on bench for real emergencies.

From now will the next Derby will define Ross at Hibs I feel. Aberdeen haven’t won in 10 games but our record to them and away isn’t great. We also have the semi final and old firm at Easter Road twice.

With Aberdeen so bad outside the top 4 is failure.

Northernhibee
17-10-2021, 08:25 AM
"Usual subjects absolutely wallowing in it again". You couldn't just debate the performance of the team, you had to throw in criticism of fellow fans, even saying you'll love it when we win so they shut up. That for me is ridiculous.

Yes, I’ll love it when we win and this place becomes more rational again. I mentioned the performance yesterday (it was a stinker) but also mentioned we have in the past two seasons had the occasional day like yesterday and always bounced back from it.

For example, that game against Ross County where we blew them away was sublime, the 3-1 cup win against Dundee United was excellent as was the opening day win against a very good Motherwell side. There’s plenty for optimism and although yesterday was rank, it was the exception to the rule.

Nicho87
17-10-2021, 08:27 AM
I watched Ross a few times yesterday to see what he does during a game

A lot of standing at the sidelines and a little burst of claps to players.

Always find it interesting to see what they are doing

Anyway I’m not a jack Ross fan and he’s not the man to take us to the level Gordon wants us to be at.

Think it’s clear to see the the lack of volume from the fans at home games, along with performance and results will mean this gathers pace

hibeedonald
17-10-2021, 08:28 AM
What concerns about JR is I think we genuinely have good players. At the start of the season we looked great times... fast forward a few weeks and other managers have watched our tactics during the early streak of good performances and nullified it.

We don't close players down anywhere near fast enough - it doesn't make sense when the likes of DU can do it.

NC1875
17-10-2021, 08:28 AM

Sublime ? Seriously ? One thing I wouldnt ever call this Hibs team is sublime.

When we do win games, it’s very rarely even a very good performance, never mind sublime.

It’s usually boring. But we accept as because it’s a win. The football is crap

Nakedmanoncrack
17-10-2021, 08:29 AM

Post of the day, hilarious.

Smartie
17-10-2021, 08:31 AM
Yes, I’ll love it when we win and this place becomes more rational again. I mentioned the performance yesterday (it was a stinker) but also mentioned we have in the past two seasons had the occasional day like yesterday and always bounced back from it.

For example, that game against Ross County where we blew them away was sublime, the 3-1 cup win against Dundee United was excellent as was the opening day win against a very good Motherwell side. There’s plenty for optimism and although yesterday was rank, it was the exception to the rule.

We had a couple of stinking performances and results around Christmas time last year and went into a mini-slump. There were deficiencies in the squad at that time and Jack Ross was able to address those by bringing in Cadden and Irvine. That gave us a wee boost and we started to kick on in the right direction again (even if Porto and Nisbet both dipped after having their heads turned).

The problem we have this time is that it's a long time to January. Getting Doidge back early is the only boost we might enjoy soon, other than getting the players back who were missing yesterday and keeping them fit for the foreseeable (not insignificant tbf).

This has been coming since the window closed and it's pretty unforgivable really, as much as we might want to make excuses. We've failed to strengthen when in a position of relative strength and it might come back to bite us firmly on the arse.

madhatter
17-10-2021, 08:32 AM

We disagree on the definition of sublime. Our play is generally one paced and we require moments of magic from Boyle more often than not.

Rational? Paying hard earned money to watch your football team play in yesterday's manner and not be absolutely raging? Why isn't that rational? All our players and our manager didn't turn up. That's a disgrace all round, nevermind at home.

You know what was irrational, I sat and waited for the final whistle. The rational ones left when the 3rd goal went in.

Peevemor
17-10-2021, 08:34 AM

For example, that game against Ross County where we blew them away was sublime, the 3-1 cup win against Dundee United was excellent as was the opening day win against a very good Motherwell side. There’s plenty for optimism and although yesterday was rank, it was the exception to the rule.Well said.

With the number of regulars missing yesterday we needed everyone else to play well which simply didn't happen.

I can't think of any positives to take from yesterday, but that shouldn't be applied to the season so far or indeed the whole of Ross's tenure which is what some are too quick to do.

As JR said post match, nothing can be done to change what happened yesterday. It's now up to him & his coaches to get the right reaction from the players, starting from next weekend.

Smartie
17-10-2021, 08:35 AM
What concerns about JR is I think we genuinely have good players. At the start of the season we looked great times... fast forward a few weeks and other managers have watched our tactics during the early streak of good performances and nullified it.

We don't close players down anywhere near fast enough - it doesn't make sense when the likes of DU can do it.

We do have good players.

It's just that yesterday they were either injured or MIA.

I'm not convinced that's solely down to Jack Ross.

On a separate note - I've been impressed by Tam Courts. My mate supports United and was lambasting his credentials and budget for players over the summer, expecting a relegation battle this season. United were excellent yesterday and have been decent every time I've seen them this season.

Danderhall Hibs
17-10-2021, 08:35 AM

Anyway I’m not a jack Ross fan and he’s not the man to take us to the level Gordon wants us to be at.

Think it’s clear to see the the lack of volume from the fans at home games, along with performance and results will mean this gathers pace

One thing that really irritated me during the lockdown season was being able to hear the inane drivel managers shout at players during a game - just nonsense. Made me wonder what the point of them shouting was - I think it’s to keep fans happy that they’re motivating the team and that when in reality it’s all just an act.

Peevemor
17-10-2021, 08:36 AM

Think it’s clear to see the the lack of volume from the fans at home games, along with performance and results will mean this gathers paceOn the odd occasion that he was shown on the live stream he was shouting instructions.

hibbydog
17-10-2021, 08:38 AM
We don’t and won’t play like that every week though.

I bloody hope not!

Others have said that it’s the exception rather than the rule. I’d tend to agree.

Maybes yesterday was a much needed wake up call.

I hope so. I’m tired of going to ER and seeing us outfought by hungrier, but less talented, teams.

Fingers crossed that you’re right

Smartie
17-10-2021, 08:44 AM
I'm never convinced by the windmilling of arms, howling and gesticulation that goes on from managers and I believe that players should know their jobs, be able to find motivation from within themselves so that the manager on the touchline is almost redundant for much of the game.

J-C
17-10-2021, 08:47 AM
On our day we are a decent team but have a tendency to turn in these absolute horrendous performances every now and then, we can get away with the odd player not on it but every so often the whole team looks like amateurs and we get a humping like yesterday. Now there's a reason some if not all the players are here and it's called consistency, if they weren't so inconsistent they'd be playing at a higher level, it's just unfortunate when they all decide to be inconsistent at the same time.

I think getting 3rd last season papered over the cracks, most of the football wasn't great to watch and we had a good few poor games, as bad as we all thought Aberdeen were we only lost 1 fewer game and drew 2 fewer games than them and the home losses to Motherwell, Ross C and Livingstone. Add in the very poor set of results against St Johnstone in the league and particularly the cup and you can see why a good few punters are still not convinced by Ross or in this team, the lack of squad s=depth and strength is a real worry.

Perfect Hatrick
17-10-2021, 09:06 AM

I’m not sure fans being critical of what was a rotten performance yesterday and what is slowly creeping into the realms of a poor start to the season considering we’re meant to be the third best team in the country is all that irrational. Infact I’m not sure what you expect the reaction to be. We’re looking likely to be mid table come the end of the first round of fixtures, are currently mid table right now and just been horsed 3-0 at home by a not all that exciting Dundee United side. Criticism of those facts is to be expected I’d have thought.

We look an average team. Something that our results, league placing and performances would back up.

lord bunberry
17-10-2021, 09:22 AM
Post of the day, hilarious.

No chance we will comfortably finish 3rd. Not a hope in hell unless we get rid of the non triers. Any midfield in the top 2 leagues in Scotland would get get the better of a midfield containing Allan and Newell who seem more interested in making sure their hair is in place than getting wired in.
I remember people saying things like this last season after a bad result and we comfortably finished 3rd.

heretoday
17-10-2021, 09:24 AM
The sooner Porto's back the better. Get that defence to work.

Allant1981
17-10-2021, 09:26 AM
The sooner Porto's back the better. Get that defence to work.

Think we missed mcginn yesterday as well, defence just didnt work

matty_f
17-10-2021, 09:29 AM

So the 16 months or whatever that we’ve spent in the top 4 are cancelled out by the one week that we’re 5th. :faf:

Perfect Hatrick
17-10-2021, 09:33 AM
So the 16 months or whatever that we’ve spent in the top 4 are cancelled out by the one week that we’re 5th. :faf:

Last seasons results have no bearing on this season.

This season we’re fifth. This season I think we look an average team. Our results and performances reflect that imo.

As I’ve said previously, we were a much better than average team last season. That was last season though, not this season. I’m sure you wouldn’t have been in a hurry to accept the argument we weren’t that good last season if people decided to throw the 19/20 results to bring last seasons down in the same way you’re doing to bring this seasons up.

Fergus52
17-10-2021, 09:34 AM

Aye league table doesn't lie, but only as soon as we drop down a few positions.

It must have been slavering when we were in the top 4 for 15 months, cause we're a bang average mid table side under Ross.

matty_f
17-10-2021, 09:46 AM
Aye league table doesn't lie, but only as soon as we drop down a few positions.

It must have been slavering when we were in the top 4 for 15 months, cause we're a bang average mid table side under Ross.

It’s mental. Selective as anything. :agree:

matty_f
17-10-2021, 09:47 AM
Last seasons results have no bearing on this season.

This season we’re fifth. This season I think we look an average team. Our results and performances reflect that imo.

As I’ve said previously, we were a much better than average team last season. That was last season though, not this season. I’m sure you wouldn’t have been in a hurry to accept the argument we weren’t that good last season if people decided to throw the 19/20 results to bring last seasons down in the same way you’re doing to bring this seasons up.

We’ve been one day outside the top 4 this season.

If we beat Aberdeen next week are we back to being a top 4 team for the season again if that’s where the result puts us?

We can only assess our level week to week now?

Absolute nonsense.

Perfect Hatrick
17-10-2021, 09:53 AM

If we beat Aberdeen next week are we back to being a top 4 team for the season again if that’s where the result puts us?

Absolute nonsense.

We could be 35 weeks in the top 3 and finish 6th at the end of the season. That wouldn’t make us a top 3 team though.

Im not sure how using our current position in the league as an indicator as to how good we currently are can be described as nonsense but using historical league positions, the vast majority of which actually come from a totally different season as an indicator as to how good we currently are which is what you’re doing isn’t nonsense.

We’re in our current position because of our results throughout the whole season so far. They’ve all combined to put us 5th. That to me gives us an idea of how good we currently are a lot more than where we were last season or where we were 3 weeks ago.

Brightside
17-10-2021, 09:55 AM
We could be 35 weeks in the top 3 and finish 6th at the end of the season. That wouldn’t make us a top 3 team though.

Im not sure how using our current position in the league as an indicator as to how good we currently are can be described as nonsense but using historical league positions, the vast majority of which actually come from a totally different season as an indicator as to how good we are which is what you’re doing isn’t nonsense.

Because you have to take the average position. You are choosing one week out the season.

Perfect Hatrick
17-10-2021, 09:56 AM
Because you have to take the average position. You are choosing one week out the season.

Our current position is our average position. It’s how a league table works.

It takes every teams results over the whole season, allocates points based on those results and then places the teams.

You seem to want a ‘mode’ position.

matty_f
17-10-2021, 10:04 AM

Im not sure how using our current position in the league as an indicator as to how good we currently are can be described as nonsense but using historical league positions, the vast majority of which actually come from a totally different season as an indicator as to how good we currently are which is what you’re doing isn’t nonsense.

We’re in our current position because of our results throughout the whole season so far. They’ve all combined to put us 5th. That to me gives us an idea of how good we currently are a lot more than where we were last season or where we were 3 weeks ago.

So we go into the top 4 next week again you’ll be here telling everyone we’re a top 4 side? :aok:

Superb.

Perfect Hatrick
17-10-2021, 10:10 AM
So we go into the top 4 next week again you’ll be here telling everyone we’re a top 4 side? :aok:

Superb.

If we go up to Aberdeen next week and get a positive result then that’ll definitely give more optimism in terms of being more than an average team, yes. Likewise if we beat Celtic in the league or Rangers in the cup. Nobody is saying we can’t improve into a good side.

We can only really base our opinions at this point in time on games that have been played though and not on hypothetical future results.

matty_f
17-10-2021, 10:10 AM
Got some stick on here for saying that Ross was only a defeat away from getting pelters from a section of folk on here but it’s absolutely true.

Now we’ve got folk who’ve held fire for the very moment we drop out the top 4 to shout about how we’re a bang average mid-table side.

The table doesn’t lie etc.

We were honking yesterday, and if i watched that game in isolation I’d say we were relegation fodder. We’re obviously not relegation fodder so I’m not going to start shouting that we are.

matty_f
17-10-2021, 10:11 AM
If we go up to Aberdeen next week and get a positive result then that’ll definitely give more optimism in terms of being more than an average team, yes. Likewise if we beat Celtic in the league or Rangers in the cup. Nobody is saying we can’t improve.

We can only really base our opinions at this point in time on games that have been played though and not on hypothetical future results.

So folk saying we’ve no chance of top 3 are talking crap then?

Perfect Hatrick
17-10-2021, 10:13 AM
So folk saying we’ve no chance of top 3 are talking crap then?

Of course they’re talking crap. I’d suspect they’d also acknowledge that they’re talking crap seeing as we quite clearly do have a chance of top 3 at this point in the season. If you’re reading people saying we’ve no chance of top 3 as meaning it is an actual impossible feat though then I’d suggest you’re taking things all a bit too literally.

matty_f
17-10-2021, 10:16 AM
Of course they’re talking crap. I’d suspect they’d also acknowledge that they’re talking crap seeing as we quite clearly do have a chance of top 3 at this point in the season. If you’re reading people saying we’ve no chance of top 3 then I’d suggest you’re taking things all a bit too literally.

:faf: :faf:

That’s a great out, when the point is nonsense someone’s just taken it too literally.

On the forum the other day we had folk posting dictionary definitions of their wording to try and support their point when folk picked holes in it, I’m confused as to when to take something literally and when not to now.

Which parts of your posts did you really mean and which ones should not be taken literally?

Hiber-nation
17-10-2021, 10:29 AM
One of the reasons we finished 3rd was due to the poor quality of the league. We thought we'd improved this season (well I did anyway) but that was short-lived until injuries kicked in. The teams around us have all improved. We're now back to square one again, slow, lethargic and predictable.

MWHIBBIES
17-10-2021, 10:33 AM
A league season is a marathon, not a sprint. We'll be absolutely fine over the course, especially as our many injured players return. Talk of 7th or 8th is laughable

matty_f
17-10-2021, 10:34 AM
A league season is a marathon, not a sprint. We'll be absolutely fine over the course, especially as our many injured players return. Talk of 7th or 8th is laughable

You say that but some of the games haven’t been played yet… :greengrin

Perfect Hatrick
17-10-2021, 10:34 AM
:faf: :faf:

That’s a great out, when the point is nonsense someone’s just taken it too literally.

On the forum the other day we had folk posting dictionary definitions of their wording to try and support their point when folk picked holes in it, I’m confused as to when to take something literally and when not to now.

Which parts of your posts did you really mean and which ones should not be taken literally?

What posts?

This is really quite a futile debate. I’ll leave you to post your emojis.

matty_f
17-10-2021, 10:35 AM
What posts?

This is really quite a futile debate. I’ll leave you to post your emojis.

You’ve taken me too literally.

Perfect Hatrick
17-10-2021, 10:37 AM
One of the reasons we finished 3rd was due to the poor quality of the league. We thought we'd improved this season (well I did anyway) but that was short-lived until injuries kicked in. The teams around us have all improved. We're now back to square one again, slow, lethargic and predictable.

I don’t think that’s fair on our achievements last season.

I would agree though that the league looks better this season.

MWHIBBIES
17-10-2021, 10:40 AM

We finished 3rd because we were the 3rd best team. We're clearly not back to square one.

Brightside
17-10-2021, 10:47 AM

Anything positive is always due to everyone else being rubbish. It’s a really odd outlook and a strange way to support a team.

Iain G
17-10-2021, 10:47 AM

Absolute nonsense.

I can comfortably predict after the shocking performance yesterday that we could be in the top, middle or bottom four come the end of the season.

Mutu
17-10-2021, 10:50 AM
Didn't see the game yesterday but generally speak, I haven't seen an improvement in our game off the ball under Ross. Modern football now is about high work rate, high pressing and generally not giving centre backs any time on the ball.

We don't ever seem to do this - happy to give the opposition the ball and we often pay the price. Not good enough.

As for individuals, I think the squad is more than good enough albeit a bit light up front. Newell, JDH, Maginnes, Allan, Murphy. All high level SPL footballers. Quality is not the issue - it's the less obvious bits which let us down.

Libby Hibby
17-10-2021, 10:53 AM

Bang on Pretty.

Exactly how I feel and it’s now getting to a sad stage where I might stop giving this team as much time as I’m currently giving.

It’s a bit of a chore watching this side, win, lose or draw.

HFC93
17-10-2021, 10:55 AM

I recall reading this sort of thing last season after some of our bad defeats. I had an exchange of posts with someone saying we would finish 7th. Proper knee jerk reaction stuff.

Key West
17-10-2021, 10:59 AM
We disagree on the definition of sublime. Our play is generally one paced and we require moments of magic from Boyle more often than not.

Rational? Paying hard earned money to watch your football team play in yesterday's manner and not be absolutely raging? Why isn't that rational? All our players and our manager didn't turn up. That's a disgrace all round, nevermind at home.

You know what was irrational, I sat and waited for the final whistle. The rational ones left when the 3rd goal went in.

👍

Perfect Hatrick
17-10-2021, 11:02 AM
I recall reading this sort of thing last season after some of our bad defeats. I had an exchange of posts with someone saying we would finish 7th. Proper knee jerk reaction stuff.

I don’t think we’ll finish 7th but I wouldn’t be surprised to see us finish 5th or 6th. That’s based on numerous performances and results this season, not just yesterday so it’s not knee jerk.

jacomo
17-10-2021, 11:09 AM

The team earned those boos yesterday.

If they don’t want to hear them again they need to sort it, and quickly.

RossScott1991
17-10-2021, 11:09 AM
Once Doidge is back Hibs will be a completely different team again. His absence has shown how crucial he is.

Nisbet needs him more than most. Once Doidge is up top you will see Nisbet dropping and getting heavily involved in the play again.

No panic from me. We will be fine. People are just getting more in a tizzy because Hearts are doing well.

Is It On....
17-10-2021, 11:11 AM
Yesterday was clearly a bad result BUT 135 football minutes ago we were 1-0 up at Ibrox and top of the league. I honestly believe we really need to keep things in perspective.

jacomo
17-10-2021, 11:13 AM

Absolute nonsense.

Yesterday was awful though Matty. We’ve not looked convincing since Doidge’s injury. I’m not sure what you’re seeing if you don’t see any grounds for concern?

jacomo
17-10-2021, 11:15 AM
Yesterday was clearly a bad result BUT 135 football minutes ago we were 1-0 up at Ibrox and top of the league. I honestly believe we really need to keep things in perspective.

Aye but we lost. Hearts got a point there yesterday.

Fine margins of course, but the league table doesn’t care. Having failed to get anything v Sevco, it was important we got a result yesterday. Instead we got neither a result nor any kind of performance.

matty_f
17-10-2021, 11:28 AM
Yesterday was awful though Matty. We’ve not looked convincing since Doidge’s injury. I’m not sure what you’re seeing if you don’t see any grounds for concern?

Yesterday was as bad as anything we’ve seen in many a year. A Butcher-esque level of performance. If that was the only performance I’d seen under Jack Ross, then I’d be really, really concerned.

However the facts are that we’ve been consistently a top four (at worst) side under Jack Ross, and that’s where I take some confidence. We saw yesterday’s performance last season a couple of times - Ross County and Livi at home around January stick out, and we recovered well and finished third. I’m sure we all remember the hysteria and overreaction to those performances? They were as bad as yesterday, and right after each other.

hibbydog
17-10-2021, 11:30 AM
When was the last time we oughtfought a more talented team?

Genuine question.

Every week we lose most of the 50/50s, seldom win second balls and generally look less up for it than technically inferior but hungrier sides.

Can’t remember when we last did this to someone else?

jacomo
17-10-2021, 11:31 AM
Yesterday was as bad as anything we’ve seen in many a year. A Butcher-esque level of performance. If that was the only performance I’d seen under Jack Ross, then I’d be really, really concerned.

However the facts are that we’ve been consistently a top four (at worst) side under Jack Ross, and that’s where I take some confidence. We saw yesterday’s performance last season a couple of times - Ross County and Livi at home around January stick out, and we recovered well and finished third. I’m sure we all remember the hysteria and overreaction to those performances? They were as bad as yesterday, and right after each other.

Of course, that’s fair.

Let’s hope we get back to an acceptable level of performance soon though, because it could be a very long autumn otherwise.

jacomo
17-10-2021, 11:34 AM

Genuine question.

Every week we lose most of the 50/50s, seldom win second balls and generally look less up for it than technically inferior but hungrier sides.

Don’t think this is a Jack Ross strength. He favours tactical organisation and being hard to beat over self-expression and taking the battle to them.

Unfortunately, when he gets the set up or personnel wrong we seem to have very little to fall back on.

matty_f
17-10-2021, 11:34 AM
Of course, that’s fair.

Let’s hope we get back to an acceptable level of performance soon though, because it could be a very long autumn otherwise.

:agree:

Hopefully we see the return of Magennis and Doidge to the team very soon as well (not to mention Porteous).

Then we’ve got Tate (Tait?) and Mueller definitely arriving in January, and I would think we’ll add over and above those two as well based on the view of the transfer window just gone that the club evidently had.

Pretty Boy
17-10-2021, 11:35 AM
The team earned those boos yesterday.

If they don’t want to hear them again they need to sort it, and quickly.

I was surprised by the level of booing yesterday. Both after the 2nd and 3rd goals and again at the end.

I'm neither a booer or a big singer/encourager at games. I'm a mutterer. I stayed until the end and I recall there being less reaction at games when we have been genuinely struggling compared to yesterday. For whatever reason where other managers have attracted apathy, Ross polarises opinion big time.

I'm wary of placing too much emphasis on the opinions expressed on forums, podcasts, other social media etc but I think crowds at games are a relatively good barometer of a fanbase. The size of the crowds suggest that a fair few aren't buying into this team (I accept there are other reasons why crowds are down) and the reaction both yesterday and for spells during the St Mirren game suggests a lot who are attending aren't overly pleased either.

I was assured last season I only found our performances boring because I wasn't at games. Well I'm at games this season and with a few exceptions I still find our performances largely boring. Not enough to start being a booer right enough.

tmb1875
17-10-2021, 11:36 AM
Bang on Pretty.

Exactly how I feel and it’s now getting to a sad stage where I might stop giving this team as much time as I’m currently giving.

It’s a bit of a chore watching this side, win, lose or draw.

Something I was thinking about last night. The last few years we had a group of about 12 of us who would go regularly to games this season your lucky if there’s 3/4 of us who go. I know the disruption of covid has been a factor but it can’t just be that. Why are people not going to watch hibs anymore?
Cost, football on show, failure to win silverware from a good position last year, 1 win in the last 5 Derby’s, not beat the old firm in the last 22 attempts. Club promising big match day experience etc.. and it’s flatter than it’s ever been in my time supporting hibs. Sad times when you can’t get folk paying £350 to come and watch the games. You can’t change any of that you can only keep trying to improve. Club got a big job on its hands to get folk back along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fergus52
17-10-2021, 11:36 AM

Genuine question.

I'm usually one to defend Ross but this is a really good point.

There does seem to be an issue with motivation under him, both in "big" games and your run of the mill league games. We have a bunch of technically good players going through the motions, but we rarely seem to have the whole team fired up and fighting for each other, desperate to win at all costs.

When people say a squad has a lack of leadership on the pitch I usually think its a lazy clichéd critisiscm, but it does apply to this squad imo. Could really do with someone with the personality of McGinn, Brown or even McPake or Bartley on the pitch.

lord bunberry
17-10-2021, 11:37 AM

:agree: Like you said earlier Ross is always 1 bad performance away from hysterical overreaction. Yesterday was dreadful but folk saying were a poor team are talking nonsense. We’ll recover just like we did last season and finish 3rd.

3pm
17-10-2021, 11:39 AM
Better Hibs teams than yesterday have been humped 3 zip off worse sides.

Check out the Hibs side that lost to Morton in Feb 2016. :greengrin

lord bunberry
17-10-2021, 11:41 AM

Genuine question.

What a load of rubbish. If what you are saying is true we’d be down at the bottom of the league.

green day
17-10-2021, 11:41 AM
:agree: Like you said earlier Ross is always 1 bad performance away from hysterical overreaction. Yesterday was dreadful but folk saying were a poor team are talking nonsense. We’ll recover just like we did last season and finish 3rd.

I dont think its hysterical overreaction - I also dont particularly blame Ross.

Our recruitment in key areas has been found wanting, we are only an injury away from crisis in key positions - that is not going to get you to "best of the rest" in any season, let alone one where Hearts have recruited pretty well (from what I have seen).

Pretty Boy
17-10-2021, 11:44 AM
I'm usually one to defend Ross but this is a really good point.

There does seem to be an issue with motivation under him, both in "big" games and your run of the mill league games. We have a bunch of technically good players going through the motions, but we rarely seem to have the whole team fired up and fighting for each other, desperate to win at all costs.

When people say a squad has a lack of leadership on the pitch I usually think its a lazy clichéd critisiscm, but it does apply to this squad imo. Could really do with someone with the personality of McGinn, Brown or even McPake or Bartley on the pitch.

I think big part of that is a style thing.

United probably looked like they were more up for it yesterday because they were playing with a high press and hunting in packs. There will be days when a team catches them out and they look foolish doing it.

We are much more passive without the ball and it's all about discipline and holding the lines. When that goes wrong it looks lethargic and lazy.

jacomo
17-10-2021, 11:44 AM
What a load of rubbish. If what you are saying is true we’d be down at the bottom of the league.

Why? We have a top 4 squad. We should be beating teams like Dundee Utd more often than not.

The Modfather
17-10-2021, 11:46 AM

It’s a concern that Ross still hasn’t got to the bottom of these kind of performances and that they are still happening. With the injuries we have it would be understandable to see a drop in quality, but not the kind of Butcher-esque performance against average teams where no one gets pass marks (going by the general consensus on here as I wasn’t there yesterday).

I can’t help but feel we’re closer to regressing than we are to kicking on from finishing 3rd. There’s collective blame as to how we still have an unbalanced squad after not losing anyone, which is usually the reason for regression after a successful season when the team is broken up. I can’t shake the feeling that last season was our peak and the top of our upward trajectory. Doesn’t mean that say 4th and competitive for 3rd is a disaster as still progress and consistency, but we’re generally a better team on paper and results wise than we are to watch IMO. I’m still very meh to Ross and this Hibs team.

lord bunberry
17-10-2021, 11:48 AM
I dont think its hysterical overreaction - I also dont particularly blame Ross.

Our recruitment in key areas has been found wanting, we are only an injury away from crisis in key positions - that is not going to get you to "best of the rest" in any season, let alone one where Hearts have recruited pretty well (from what I have seen).
I agree we are light in a couple of areas and the 2 loan signings have added nothing so far. Hopefully Magennis and Doidge coming back will see us through to January and we can bring in some better replacements.

Lago
17-10-2021, 11:48 AM
I was surprised by the level of booing yesterday. Both after the 2nd and 3rd goals and again at the end.

I'm neither a booer or a big singer/encourager at games. I'm a mutterer. I stayed until the end and I recall there being less reaction at games when we have been genuinely struggling compared to yesterday. For whatever reason where other managers have attracted apathy, Ross polarises opinion big time.

I'm wary of placing too much emphasis on the opinions expressed on forums, podcasts, other social media etc but I think crowds at games are a relatively good barometer of a fanbase. The size of the crowds suggest that a fair few aren't buying into this team (I accept there are other reasons why crowds are down) and the reaction both yesterday and for spells during the St Mirren game suggests a lot who are attending aren't overly pleased either.

I was assured last season I only found our performances boring because I wasn't at games. Well I'm at games this season and with a few exceptions I still find our performances largely boring. Not enough to start being a booer right enough.
A very well argued post, perfectly sums up my thoughts. Jack Ross for me approaches games in a cautious manner with a view to not loosing, much like Steve Clarke 's set up at Kilmarnock & Scotland.

lord bunberry
17-10-2021, 11:49 AM
Why? We have a top 4 squad. We should be beating teams like Dundee Utd more often than not.
We do beat them more often than not. Yesterday was a shocking performance, but it’s not normal for us to lose like that.

matty_f
17-10-2021, 11:55 AM

On your last paragraph, surely you were able to draw your own conclusions as to why you were bored at games?

Joking aside, it’s definitely made a difference to me watching live to watching on TV. The experiences and interest levels are night and day.

matty_f
17-10-2021, 11:56 AM
We do beat them more often than not. Yesterday was a shocking performance, but it’s not normal for us to lose like that.

:agree: a 1-3 win away just a few weeks ago, for instance.

easty
17-10-2021, 12:01 PM

Exactly.

If we don’t lose Porto to the red card at Ibrox, then we take something from that game, and today would probably have been a vastly different game.

Yesterday was a **** show, performance and result. That’s an exception rather than the norm though.

MWHIBBIES
17-10-2021, 12:08 PM

Which we do. We beat them 3 times last season and already once this.

madhatter
17-10-2021, 12:27 PM
:agree: a 1-3 win away just a few weeks ago, for instance.

I see your point but Joe Newell said Dundee United outplayed us in large spells during that game as well.

The same was the case against St Mirren. We've scraped wins or points when we probably didn't deserve them.

I won't go into the debate on wins and losses more than that. It might just be my opinion but we are awful to watch and I think the atmosphere at ER shows that. We are boring. If Boyle gets injured we will be struggling even more than we are now - he, and possibly Magennis, are the only 2 players that can often change the pace of our play.

Doidge injury was a disaster and is having clear affects on our play. Boyle, or evidently Porteous, getting injured and we are in murky waters...

We have players that just pad out the squad but have zero affect on our starting line up: Wood, Scott, Hallberg, Wright, Mackie, Gullan, Mackay. You can add in the players that are coming to their end: Allan, McGregor and Stevenson. Then the injury prone: Murphy.

Doidge might not be back properly for some time, if ever to the same level. We need major squad changes in January and I think we've wasted budget on players to make up numbers, based on them never getting games. This will probably hinder us in the window.

For me, our style of play under Ross has largely been boring. Not just this season or in that one game.

hibee-boys
17-10-2021, 12:27 PM
We were without 4 first team regulars in Mcginn, Porteous, Magennis and Doidge, pretty sure most teams struggle with injuries of key players but we just don’t seem to have the players of sufficient quality to replace a decent starting XI. The bench was very weak again yesterday.

theonlywayisup
17-10-2021, 12:28 PM
Think we missed mcginn yesterday as well, defence just didnt work

Like I said in the OP, the problem is the midfield, not the defence. Getting Porto and McGinn back will obviously help, but the problem was a slow overrun midfield, IMO.

hibbydog
17-10-2021, 12:33 PM

Not rubbish.

Answer the question please.

I’m fed up being beaten by less talented but hungrier sides. My worry is lack of motivation, leadership or fighting spirit.

Better paid, more talented players who are going through the motions.

I’m all ears if you’d care to present some evidence or examples.

easty
17-10-2021, 12:41 PM
Not rubbish.

I’m fed up being beaten by less talented but hungrier sides. My worry is lack of motivation, leadership or fighting spirit.

You can be fed up of it all you want. However, we’ve only been beaten by one team who are “less talented” than us this season! Last season only the old firm lost less games than us too.

Dinnae let facts get in the way though.

hibee-boys
17-10-2021, 12:44 PM
I see your point but Joe Newell said Dundee United outplayed us in large spells during that game as well.

The same was the case against St Mirren. We've scraped wins or points when we probably didn't deserve them.

I won't go into the debate on wins and losses more than that. It might just be my opinion but we are awful to watch and I think the atmosphere at ER shows that. We are boring. If Boyle gets injured we will be struggling even more than we are now - he, and possibly Magennis, are the only 2 players that can often change the pace of our play.

Doidge injury was a disaster and is having clear affects on our play. Boyle, or evidently Porteous, getting injured and we are in murky waters...

We have players that just pad out the squad but have zero affect on our starting line up: Wood, Scott, Hallberg, Wright, Mackie, Gullan, Mackay. You can add in the players that are coming to their end: Allan, McGregor and Stevenson. Then the injury prone: Murphy.

Doidge might not be back properly for some time, if ever to the same level. We need major squad changes in January and I think we've wasted budget on players to make up numbers, based on them never getting games. This will probably hinder us in the window.

For me, our style of play under Ross has largely been boring. Not just this season or in that one game.

Yip, I agree re players just making up squad numbers. We need to get to the point where players in the squad are seriously challenging the first XI rather than just making up the numbers. Our ‘squad fillers’ are just nowhere near the quality we need so unless we’ve got all our first XI on the pitch we’re going to struggle.

Key West
17-10-2021, 12:44 PM
You can be fed up of it all you want. However, we’ve only been beaten by one team who are “less talented” than us this season! Last season only the old firm lost less games than us too.

Less talented teams beat us in the semi finals and final of the domestic cups.

lord bunberry
17-10-2021, 12:46 PM
Not rubbish.

Who are these less talented sides that keep beating us? We lose the odd game but we win many more than we lose.

easty
17-10-2021, 12:47 PM
Less talented teams beat us in the semi finals and final of the domestic cups.

If the less talented teams should always lose then we should we just give the league and cups to Rangers now? Only fair if that’s how it’s to work.

hibbydog
17-10-2021, 12:48 PM

And the last time you went to Easter Road and felt we were more up for it?

This year I’ve been to 5 home games. In all but one (Ross County) I’ve felt we were less aggressive than the opposition.

Maybe a bit of a subjective judgment, but I genuinely feel we’re just not competitors any more.

Win the battle before you win the game and all that.

lord bunberry
17-10-2021, 12:49 PM
And the last time you went to Easter Road and felt we were more up for it?

This year I’ve been to 5 home games. In all but one (Ross County) I’ve felt we were less aggressive than the opposition.

Maybe a bit of a subjective judgment, but I genuinely feel we’re just not competitors any more.

Win the battle before you win the game and all that.
I’d rather we were just better at football than the opposition.

hibbydog
17-10-2021, 12:50 PM
Who are these less talented sides that keep beating us? We lose the odd game but we win many more than we lose.

St Johnstone umpteen times last season
Dundee United yesterday

Do you genuinely think Hibs are a tough competitive side who are always up for a battle?

Not on current evidence I’m afraid. And by that I mean not just yesterday, the whole of this season

147lothian
17-10-2021, 12:50 PM
Sorry if it's been posted elsewhere but when are Mcginn and mcgennis due to return?

Keith_M
17-10-2021, 12:52 PM

I admire your optimism but I don't think it's very realistic.

As much as it pains me to say it, I think Hearts (currently) look much more likely to finish 3rd.

Three first picks missing yesterday and we go from half decent to atrocious. I honestly couldn't think who Ross could/should have brought on as a sub to turn things round, which is a massive concern

Key West
17-10-2021, 12:54 PM

That would be nice but there are basic requirements that you have to meet before it can pan out that way, let’s hope it gets better with the return of injured players because there is very little in reserve when we are stretched.

Allant1981
17-10-2021, 12:54 PM
Dundee United yesterday

Do you genuinely think Hibs are a tough competitive side who are always up for a battle?

Not on current evidence I’m afraid. And by that I mean not just yesterday, the whole of this season

The whole season where we have only lost 2 games, think that answers your question

lord bunberry
17-10-2021, 12:55 PM
Dundee United yesterday

I think we’re a good team. I’m not interested in how hard our players are, I’ve never watched a game and been concerned that we’re too soft. Yesterday was a shocker, but it’s the first time this season that I’ve felt we weren’t good enough or up for it.

hibbydog
17-10-2021, 12:56 PM

And part of being better at football means winning more 50/50s, second balls and generally being more up for it than the opponent

easty
17-10-2021, 12:58 PM
And part of being better at football means winning more 50/50s, second balls and generally being more up for it than the opponent

You got the stats for how many those we win and lose?

theonlywayisup
17-10-2021, 01:00 PM
All this petty point scoring about whether we're an average team or not, finish in the top-3 or not or being beaten by less talented teams or not, is deflecting from the point that I was making is that we've become so predicable to play against.

The message to opposition managers and players is easy "nullify Boyle and Hibs become much easier to play against". The midfield has become slow to move the ball forward and rarely do they shoot from distance or drive into the box (apart from Magennis). We've virtually no aerial threat, so free-kicks and corners offer virtually no threat to the opposition. On the left Murphy slows play down and when he does cross the ball in the defence are back in numbers.

We are so predictable to play against. St Johnstone had worked this out last season and my fear is that other football managers are doing the same. JR, and our players, need to work out the Plan B, when Plan A has been nullified.

Danderhall Hibs
17-10-2021, 01:00 PM

You’re probably taking what he said too literally.

hibbydog
17-10-2021, 01:05 PM

Nope, it’s just a feeling I have. Totally subjective.

I cannot accept Hibs being outfought by hungrier teams.

Especially frustrating when you look at the talent we have.

lord bunberry
17-10-2021, 01:22 PM
All this petty point scoring about whether we're an average team or not, finish in the top-3 or not or being beaten by less talented teams or not, is deflecting from the point that I was making is that we've become so predicable to play against.

The message to opposition managers and players is easy "nullify Boyle and Hibs become much easier to play against". The midfield has become slow to move the ball forward and rarely do they shoot from distance or drive into the box (apart from Magennis). We've virtually no aerial threat, so free-kicks and corners offer virtually no threat to the opposition. On the left Murphy slows play down and when he does cross the ball in the defence are back in numbers.

We are so predictable to play against. St Johnstone had worked this out last season and my fear is that other football managers are doing the same. JR, and our players, need to work out the Plan B, when Plan A has been nullified.
So far this season we’ve beaten Motherwell, Dundee Utd, St Johnstone, Ross County and Kilmarnock. If we’re so predictable and easy to play against, how did we manage to win those games? We had a stinker yesterday and it wasn’t helped with us having so many key players out injured. I keep reading that we’re either not aggressive enough or we're predictable or whatever criticism that has been thrown at the team, but no one can really back it up with anything meaningful. We were terrible yesterday but that’s the first time this season.

MWHIBBIES
17-10-2021, 01:24 PM
Not rubbish.

You are acting like we are consistently losing to those sides. That is not true.

Since the beginging of last season we have 26 wins against the so called ''lesser sides'' (Motherwell, DU, Livi, St mirren, RC, Kilmarnock, Hamilton, St Johnstone, Dundee) in all comps. Those 9 sides combined have 7 wins over us. That is really not bad at all. St Johnstone are 4 of those. St Johnstone are the only side on that list who have beaten us on their home ground since December 2019. Nearly 2 years.

Yesterday was a really awful result. Totally outplayed from the first minute. It is not the norm.

easty
17-10-2021, 01:25 PM
So far this season we’ve beaten Motherwell, Dundee Utd, St Johnstone, Ross County and Kilmarnock. If we’re so predictable and easy to play against, how did we manage to win those games? We had a stinker yesterday and it wasn’t helped with us having so many key players out injured. I keep reading that we’re either not aggressive enough or we're predictable or whatever criticism that has been thrown at the team, but no one can really back it up with anything meaningful. We were terrible yesterday but that’s the first time this season.

Hearts have started the season really well, annoyingly, but we’re the only team that’s stopped them from scoring this season. No bad for a team that’s not aggressive enough and too predictable.

lord bunberry
17-10-2021, 01:27 PM
Hearts have started the season really well, annoyingly, but we’re the only team that’s stopped them from scoring this season. No bad for a team that’s not aggressive enough and too predictable.
Rangers weren’t finding us very predictable the other week either.

Alex Trager
17-10-2021, 01:51 PM

This is what I cannot get my head around.

We were in total control at Ibrox and everybody thought we played pretty well.

Two weeks later and this has been coming, the team has no bottle, no get up and go.

Yesterday was awful, but deary me, the reaction has been wild.

That said, maybe I am missing things everyone seems to be seeing.

hibbydog
17-10-2021, 04:01 PM
You are acting like we are consistently losing to those sides. That is not true.

Since the beginging of last season we have 26 wins against the so called ''lesser sides'' (Motherwell, DU, Livi, St mirren, RC, Kilmarnock, Hamilton, St Johnstone, Dundee) in all comps. Those 9 sides combined have 7 wins over us. That is really not bad at all. St Johnstone are 4 of those. St Johnstone are the only side on that list who have beaten us on their home ground since December 2019. Nearly 2 years.

Yesterday was a really awful result. Totally outplayed from the first minute. It is not the norm.

Those are interesting stats. Thanks for posting.

Turkish Green
17-10-2021, 04:12 PM
This is what I cannot get my head around.

We were in total control at Ibrox and everybody thought we played pretty well.

Two weeks later and this has been coming, the team has no bottle, no get up and go.

Yesterday was awful, but deary me, the reaction has been wild.

That said, maybe I am missing things everyone seems to be seeing.

Just my observation but Hibs started the league best but have started to slide as Huns, Yams, Well & Celts have sorted out their team selections. I had thought that StJ would come out of the traps running but their form has spluttered. Th big surprise is Dundee Utd. who have ghosted up the league.

I worry for Hibs as the bench is weak as was shown yesterday with only 1 sub used. As we go into the winter period, Boyle and Nisbet staying 100% fit is a must as the bench is pretty poor.

Turkish Green
17-10-2021, 04:27 PM

The only point I will add to this is that the next game is at ER but that the Yams have now a settled formation with their new signings showing prominence. I believe this will be a scoring game but likely a draw 1-1. Hibs are showing they cannot hold on to a lead which is a worry.

Hibiza
17-10-2021, 04:34 PM
Time to give our young strikers a run . Can't be any worse.

MWHIBBIES
17-10-2021, 04:54 PM

They definitely can be. Nisbet scored against Rangers last week. He won't be getting dropped for 16 year olds

jacomo
17-10-2021, 04:59 PM

Indeed, but that wasn’t the question.

The question was when did we last outplay a more talented team?

Jack Ross has got us more or less where you would expect us to be, given our resources, but we aren’t taking the next step as yet.

Northernhibee
17-10-2021, 05:03 PM
Indeed, but that wasn’t the question.

The question was when did we last outplay a more talented team?

Jack Ross has got us more or less where you would expect us to be, given our resources, but we aren’t taking the next step as yet.

Before the ridiculous red card we were easily the better team against Rangers.

It's also a bit problematic saying "when did we last outplay a more talented team" as league placings last year would suggest, we're the third best team in Scotland with only Celtic and Rangers above us.

The Modfather
17-10-2021, 05:03 PM
They definitely can be. Nisbet scored against Rangers last week. He won't be getting dropped for 16 year olds

There’s probably more benefit having one or both of Laidlaw and O’Connor on the bench than the likes of Gullan who it seems is effectively just there to make up the numbers. Give them match day experience and even the odd 5 minutes here and there when the game is safe.

MWHIBBIES
17-10-2021, 05:49 PM
There’s probably more benefit having one or both of Laidlaw and O’Connor on the bench than the likes of Gullan who it seems is effectively just there to make up the numbers. Give them match day experience and even the odd 5 minutes here and there when the game is safe.

I agree. But we've generally been awful at giving young players chances.

1875Sean
17-10-2021, 05:50 PM

Tell that to doig and Porto

MWHIBBIES
17-10-2021, 05:54 PM
Tell that to doig and Porto

I don't have their numbers so that may be difficult.

I didnt say always. But generally we have been. Full strength teams against rubbish like bsc Glasgow etc when it would be a perfect chance to play a few younger guys.

Smartie
17-10-2021, 06:02 PM
I don't have their numbers so that may be difficult.

I didnt say always. But generally we have been. Full strength teams against rubbish like bsc Glasgow etc when it would be a perfect chance to play a few younger guys.

I don't think Jack Ross has ever been great at rotating his squad.

That contributes to fringe and young players getting very little experience and others being burnt out, injury and error prone.

FWIW I thought that was one of Stubbs' weaknesses as well - we didn't rotate enough the season we won the cup, when I thought some of our fringe players were worthy of more opportunities in the league, given the standard of the opposition at times.

Hannah_hfc
17-10-2021, 06:13 PM

Given folk don’t hold back on laying into young players (see Wood yesterday) I don’t think throwing our young strikers into the mix would be good for confidence or development.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stonewall
17-10-2021, 06:40 PM

Yes. I wouldn’t be so polite though.

CJHibby
18-10-2021, 06:42 PM
No need to repeat how bad we were on Saturday but regardless of personnel we need to be able to fight for whatever may come our way. I personally don't think we can play a full 90 minutes. Even when good, we tend to only do it in spells. That said, when the likes of Brown, Thomson and the like broke through we tended to be great either first or second half but the big difference was you knew it was coming and exciting. As many say we are totally predictable and iften boring.
I wish Murphy would 'click' as he is one alternative to Boyle. For me though, we should utilise Josh Doig more extensively, think Tierney or Robertson. To their EPL teams they are a great source of attack and we should do likewise. Josh to me isn't the greatest defender but going forward looks a threat. Here's hoping we improve quickly as the next few games become paramountly important to where we are going.

19-10-2021, 03:42 PM
Came across this on twitter...

https://twitter.com/mendy_91/status/1450235581552898049?s=20

"Jack Ross “big game” record (old firm, hearts, hampden)

20 games
2 wins

2 x semi final defeats (STJ/HMFC)
1 x final defeat (STJ)

1PT/21PT v Rangers
3PT/18PT v Celtic
4PT/9PT v Hearts

Total= 8PT/48PT"

matty_f
19-10-2021, 03:50 PM

20 games
2 wins

1 x final defeat (STJ)

1PT/21PT v Rangers
3PT/18PT v Celtic
4PT/9PT v Hearts

Total= 8PT/48PT"

It’s very selective.

19-10-2021, 03:55 PM
It’s very selective.

It is, maybe something generally for your next podcast to discuss as a whole though - Home record and Big Game records.

I thought Saturday evenings podcast was very good by the way.

Danderhall Hibs
19-10-2021, 03:57 PM

20 games
2 wins

1 x final defeat (STJ)

1PT/21PT v Rangers
3PT/18PT v Celtic
4PT/9PT v Hearts

Total= 8PT/48PT"

Thanks for the reminder that I should stay clear of twitter. Unless they’ve also posted the record v “wee” teams for balance.

Interesting to note Aberdeen is no longer a big game - probably due to beating them the last couple of times.

It’s dull stuff.

Hibernian Verse
19-10-2021, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the reminder that I should stay clear of twitter. Unless they’ve also posted the record v “wee” teams for balance.

Interesting to note Aberdeen is no longer a big game - probably due to beating them the last couple of times.

It’s dull stuff.

This.

Q: When did Rangers & Celtic become big games Hibs were expected to win?

Answer: When people couldn't use our record against the rest of the league to hit the manager with.

I'd love to see Stevie G's big cup game record. He must be due the sack.

matty_f
19-10-2021, 04:03 PM
It is, maybe something generally for your next podcast to discuss as a whole though - Home record and Big Game records.

I thought Saturday evenings podcast was very good by the way.

Thanks. :aok:

We’ve discussed it already on the podcast, it comes up whenever we lose and isn’t mentioned when we’re getting results most weeks.

Danderhall Hibs
19-10-2021, 04:09 PM
This.

Q: When did Rangers & Celtic become big games Hibs were expected to win?

Answer: When people couldn't use our record against the rest of the league to hit the manager with.

I'd love to see Stevie G's big cup game record. He must be due the sack.

As the Aberdeen chairman said last night, he’s won 1 trophy in 9 attempts.

theonlywayisup
20-10-2021, 11:41 AM
Whilst a bit down after Saturday's display, I actually think we should do okay against Aberdeen. I think our team is best suited for away games, keep tight then hit on the break, with a vocal away support backing them.

Since452
21-10-2021, 05:59 AM
When the team lineup was announced nobody thought we were a bad team. In fact there were a lot of posts on here saying it was a great starting lineup.

J-C
21-10-2021, 07:30 AM
When the team lineup was announced nobody thought we were a bad team. In fact there were a lot of posts on here saying it was a great starting lineup.

I don't think that was ever in question, it was the manner of defeat and the performance, we seem to have this horrendous game in us every now and then and if it's not a full game it's either a 1st or 2nd half performance. That's why questions are being asked as it's not a one off game.

theonlywayisup
21-10-2021, 11:59 AM
I don't think that was ever in question, it was the manner of defeat and the performance, we seem to have this horrendous game in us every now and then and if it's not a full game it's either a 1st or 2nd half performance. That's why questions are being asked as it's not a one off game.

I thought it was interesting watching the Man U game last night. For the first half, they looked a very disjointed side, but obviously capable of scoring goals because of the excellent forward players that they have. However, they looked a poor team. They were obviously poor against LCFC and have been in other games I've seen, especially the first half of matches away from home.

However, once they got their goal, which was largely the result of a poor opposition forwards pass back into midfield and an excellent forward pass from Bruno Fernandes, they looked really good side. Does that make them a good side now?

Obviously we're talking about different quality of player and opposition, but I'd be interested to know whether that fightback was down to the manager changing things or the players changing their approach / attitude or both. With Man U, you always felt that they'd get back into the game. With Hibs, I'm not as confident.