PDA

View Full Version : The original Hampden - the first purpose-built football stadium in the world.

08-10-2021, 04:36 PM
Interesting article about the original Hampden. It would be a shame if it was lost for ever. Hopefully a wealthy individual like Sir Tom Hunter or James Anderson will donate towards it. Should really be the SFA but they'll be skint.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10071077/amp/The-future-original-Hampden-hangs-balance.html

JimBHibees
08-10-2021, 09:02 PM
Interesting article about the original Hampden. It would be a shame if it was lost for ever. Hopefully a wealthy individual like Sir Tom Hunter or James Anderson will donate towards it. Should really be the SFA but they'll be skint.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10071077/amp/The-future-original-Hampden-hangs-balance.html

Personal opinion would flatten it and use other stadiums horrific stadium to watch a game.

Moulin Yarns
08-10-2021, 09:06 PM
Personal opinion would flatten it and use other stadiums horrific stadium to watch a game.

That's a whoosh!!

Bostonhibby
08-10-2021, 09:09 PM
Flatten it, move the structure and the administration out of Glasgow.

Build an entirely new stadium and set up somewhere that's readily accessible for all of the country and create an administrative set up that is at least fit for the current century.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

bod
08-10-2021, 09:11 PM
Was in there for a euro game.needs a good deal done to it.
The bar staff kindly took 1 of the lads & showed him the mural let him take some photos.

That sound worse than it was ��

Pagan Hibernia
08-10-2021, 10:06 PM
Interesting story. Though tbh I’m more interested in Cathkin park where we won our first scottish cup in 1887

wookie70
08-10-2021, 10:06 PM
It would be dreadful if this as knocked down. Hopefully a short term solution can be found and give time to sort it out properly. All the money in football and the first fitba stadium, or what is left of it, could disappear. That doesn't make any sense.

ScottB
08-10-2021, 10:17 PM
Seems worthy of being a world heritage site really!

Hibbyradge
08-10-2021, 10:18 PM
That's a whoosh!!

:agree:

It usually pays to read the link.

Although it's the daily hate mail, so I won't laugh too loudly at the foxes paw.

Pretty Boy
09-10-2021, 06:00 AM
If £150K can't be found to salvage such an important part of football history then it's the very epitome of knowing the cost of everything but the value of nothing.

Crunchie
09-10-2021, 06:54 AM

The famous Hampden roar was lost forever when the stadium was refurbished, it's scandalous what we have in comparison to Wales.
I used to love being in the West stand when Scotland scored, the noise was something else and the whin dust made sure everyone came back with a piece of Hampden :greengrin

Alex Trager
09-10-2021, 07:05 AM

Absolutely, I dono why this isn’t the case

wookie70
10-10-2021, 12:31 AM
The famous Hampden roar was lost forever when the stadium was refurbished, it's scandalous what we have in comparison to Wales.
I used to love being in the West stand when Scotland scored, the noise was something else and the whin dust made sure everyone came back with a piece of Hampden :greengrin I remember it well but there was plenty Hampden roar tonight

CMurdoch
10-10-2021, 10:13 AM
In a nutshell this thread is what is crap about Hibs.net
Posters don't bother to read the thread, just kick out with their preconceived ideas.
It makes an interesting discussion almost impossible.
This criticism isn't aimed at the posters on this thread it's just this thread proves a point.
The issue is far far worse on longer threads.

Bostonhibby
10-10-2021, 11:07 AM
Posters don't bother to read the thread, just kick out with their preconceived ideas.
This criticism isn't aimed at the posters on this thread it's just this thread proves a point.
The issue is far far worse on longer threads.Fair comment, I'm very happy to admit that I thought this was about the current site / set up that I'm not a fan of.

Jumped to the wrong conclusion which is something I tend to consciously make an effort to avoid in life, and especially on here.

AliboyFC
10-10-2021, 12:40 PM
Flatten it, move the structure and the administration out of Glasgow.

Build an entirely new stadium and set up somewhere that's readily accessible for all of the country and create an administrative set up that is at least fit for the current century.

Build it in Edinburgh.

Moulin Yarns
10-10-2021, 12:44 PM
Build it in Edinburgh.

Have we not got enough bowling clubs in the capital? 😉

Bostonhibby
10-10-2021, 01:42 PM
Have we not got enough bowling clubs in the capital? [emoji6]Nowt wrong with bowling clubs if they could just do away with the bowling, blazers and committees and just focus on very reasonably priced beer and early openings for football coach parties, which they do best.

I did think about that one before I posted[emoji6]

CMurdoch
10-10-2021, 04:00 PM
Fair comment, I'm very happy to admit that I thought this was about the current site / set up that I'm not a fan of.

Jumped to the wrong conclusion which is something I tend to consciously make an effort to avoid in life, and especially on here.

You are one of the better posters BH.
As i said my ire is not aimed at the posters on this thread.
It just hit the FFS sweet spot and broke the levee :wink:.

Bostonhibby
10-10-2021, 04:03 PM
You are one of the better posters BH.
As i said my ire is not aimed at the posters on this thread.
It just hit the FFS sweet spot and broke the levee :wink:.[emoji106]

gbhibby
10-10-2021, 05:01 PM
Glasgow Council and SFA need to contact unesco ASAP to get the process moving. There are a number of rich benefactors that could cover the costs and save the site.

Eyrie
10-10-2021, 09:27 PM
Where is the original Hampden, and what is it now?

Moulin Yarns
10-10-2021, 09:32 PM
Where is the original Hampden, and what is it now?

Seriously!!!

Read the original post!

Eyrie
10-10-2021, 09:37 PM
Seriously!!!

Read the original post!

Yes, seriously.

I read the original post. And I've re-read it. It doesn't contain the answer to my question. All it has is a link to the Daily Hate Mail.

Anyone willing to be helpful?

CMurdoch
10-10-2021, 10:19 PM
Yes, seriously.

I read the original post. And I've re-read it. It doesn't contain the answer to my question. All it has is a link to the Daily Hate Mail.

The current Hampden is the third Hampden built. Cathkin Park was the second and the one at Hampden Bowling club was the original. The club house roof at the original is in a state and they need £150k to save the place.

Keith_M
11-10-2021, 07:29 AM
Yes, seriously.

If you've ever travelled to Hampden on the train from Central Station (direct) to Mount Florida, you actually pass it.

There's a giant mural on the wall on the right hand side shortly before you arrive at Mount Florida, which is on the back of what is now a bowling club. That is the site of the original Hampden

Coincidentally, when you pass that, the site of the second Hampden, later renamed to Cathkin Park, is on your left (though you can't see it from the train)

https://i2-prod.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article22796217.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/0_JS220134338.jpg

Moulin Yarns
11-10-2021, 07:33 AM
Queens Park has stepped in to fund the work.

MacBean
11-10-2021, 09:22 AM
Was in there for a euro game.needs a good deal done to it.
The bar staff kindly took 1 of the lads & showed him the mural let him take some photos.

That sound worse than it was ��

If it was before the Czech game then the lad you mention is me! Couldn't get over how cheap the drink was

bod
11-10-2021, 09:37 AM
If it was before the Czech game then the lad you mention is me! Couldn't get over how cheap the drink was

Wisnea you

Bristolhibby
11-10-2021, 09:40 AM
If you've ever travelled to Hampden on the train from Central Station (direct) to Mount Florida, you actually pass it.

There's a giant mural on the wall on the right hand side shortly before you arrive at Mount Florida, which is on the back of what is now a bowling club. That is the site of the original Hampden

Coincidentally, when you pass that, the site of the second Hampden, later renamed to Cathkin Park, is on your left (though you can't see it from the train)

https://i2-prod.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article22796217.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/0_JS220134338.jpg

We had a look at both before the game with Moldova. I brought the kids and needed some activity that didn’t involve sitting in a pub (my usual pre match ritual).

Amazing history. Didn’t realise that Cathkin park was where we won our first Scottish Cup).

J

lord bunberry
11-10-2021, 09:45 AM
If they’re going to save it and restore it I think it should be done properly. Make it a proper attraction rather than just a bowling club. Is a bowling club pavilion with a mural on the wall really saving it? I was aware of this place before I read the article but I’d never been, I’ve been to Cathkin Park which is an amazingly eerie place, the 1st Hampden should be properly restored preferably with a football pitch to make it more authentic.

G15 Hibs
11-10-2021, 11:14 AM
If they’re going to save it and restore it I think it should be done properly. Make it a proper attraction rather than just a bowling club. Is a bowling club pavilion with a mural on the wall really saving it? I was aware of this place before I read the article but I’d never been, I’ve been to Cathkin Park which is an amazingly eerie place, the 1st Hampden should be properly restored preferably with a football pitch to make it more authentic.

Unfortunately there's not really enough space to do that where it is. The site is enclosed between the railway line (the building of which was why Queen's Park moved to the second Hampden, now Cathkin), houses and roads. I'm not really sure what purpose it could be put to if it was 'saved' if the bowling club is no longer sustainable. I doubt the SFA would move the museum from the current Hampden.

11-10-2021, 12:05 PM

Killed England as a country.

Lendo
11-10-2021, 01:03 PM

It’s like every single Edinburgh Evening News post on Facebook. Not one person will have read the article and will jump on with their ill informed opinions.

Peevemor
11-10-2021, 01:13 PM

It’s like every single Edinburgh Evening News post on Facebook. Not one person will have read the article and will jump on with their ill informed opinions.

To be fair I think a lot of folk don't like following links to tabloid papers, especially if they're on their telephone as pop-up ads can make things unreadable & the cookie consent thing can be a bit daunting (it is for me anyway - I'm always worried that I'm going to agree to something installing itself on my phone).

When I posts links from a pc, I try to cut and paste the text of the article as often as possible. I appreciate that it might be a bit iffy in terms of copyright but I always post the corresponding link too. That way people can get the gist without having to wander into uncharted cyberspace.

CMurdoch
11-10-2021, 01:52 PM
To be fair I think a lot of folk don't like following links to tabloid papers, especially if they're on their telephone as pop-up ads can make things unreadable & the cookie consent thing can be a bit daunting (it is for me anyway - I'm always worried that I'm going to agree to something installing itself on my phone).

When I posts links from a pc, I try to cut and paste the text of the article as often as possible. I appreciate that it might be a bit iffy in terms of copyright but I always post the corresponding link too. That way people can get the gist without having to wonder into uncharted cyberspace.

I appreciate that and it is a mighty good reason, hence wasn't kicking folk on this thread.

Eyrie
11-10-2021, 06:45 PM
The current Hampden is the third Hampden built. Cathkin Park was the second and the one at Hampden Bowling club was the original. The club house roof at the original is in a state and they need £150k to save the place.

Thanks, both.

Interesting to learn the background to the headline, and to look it up on Google Maps. I knew that there'd been a previous Hampden, but not that the modern one is the third version.

bod
11-10-2021, 06:56 PM
There was a tour that done the 3 grounds ,think it’s finished now but they advertised themselves on Twitter & was very popular & well received

ozhibs
12-10-2021, 04:56 AM
I just read on BBC sports news that Queens Park are going to help save the club

GGTTH

JimBHibees
12-10-2021, 05:56 AM
Very good article on Andrew Watson who is in the mural and his life.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58841184

Moulin Yarns
12-10-2021, 07:44 AM
I just read on BBC sports news that Queens Park are going to help save the club

GGTTH

That's old news now, it was posted at 8:30 yesterday morning. 😉