PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Bartley

Northernhibee
05-10-2021, 07:36 PM
Just shared messages he’s received on social media of horrific racist nature towards him. Wont put them up here. The club has just posted “We stand with you Marvin” and I’m sure all of us on .net stand with him too.

Legend and no player should have to put up with that.

Willis1875
05-10-2021, 07:37 PM
No person should have to put up with that

Northernhibee
05-10-2021, 07:40 PM

Indeed, that’s a much better way of wording it tbf 👍

Peevemor
05-10-2021, 07:41 PM
Great to see Hibs publicly supporting him.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211005/fc7401f1a480554bd55b78e910f250fd.jpg

hibsbollah
05-10-2021, 07:45 PM
Love and Respect to The Hammer of the Hearts.

Kato
05-10-2021, 07:46 PM
What kind of apology do they want?

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
05-10-2021, 07:54 PM
The first guy in Marvs tweet has his account named after the Norwegian guy who killed 70 odd people in a mass shooting. How does that not flag up on some kind of algorithm long before he can abuse someone?

Honestly, these social media companies just don't care enough to really stop it.

Bostonhibby
05-10-2021, 08:13 PM
One of our own.

The filth involved here should never, ever prevail. Stay strong Marvin.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
05-10-2021, 08:22 PM
Low life neanderthal ****bags

The pits of society

Stay strong Big Marv

You have our 110% support

Show racism the red card

Daniel 1875
05-10-2021, 08:24 PM
A truly depressing affair. Huge respect to Marv for standing tall.

Smartie
05-10-2021, 08:38 PM
The first guy in Marvs tweet has his account named after the Norwegian guy who killed 70 odd people in a mass shooting. How does that not flag up on some kind of algorithm long before he can abuse someone?

Honestly, these social media companies just don't care enough to really stop it.

As has been in the news over the past few days with that whistleblower from Facebook, they have acknowledged that "hatred posts" are good for their business. It keeps people online, looking at the ads etc etc.

If it is to change, there is going to need to be some stronger incentive than to just "do the right thing" as it clearly isn't working.

It's genuinely disgraceful what some people have to put up with.

Is there anything more cowardly than racially abusing someone whilst hiding behind the anonymity of an internet pseudonym?

Pretty Boy
05-10-2021, 08:45 PM
Horrific.

I honestly can't understand the mindset of anyone who can type that, read it back then still hit send.

Good to see Hibs backing him publicly and every other club should be doing the same. The ******** politicians who instigated this should be hanging their heads in shame.

JimBHibees
05-10-2021, 08:45 PM
Governments should be able to shut down social media platforms.

Allant1981
05-10-2021, 08:56 PM
Absolutely disgusting that these people can send stuff like that knowing nothing will happen

AgentDaleCooper
05-10-2021, 09:17 PM

excellent sentiment but terrible idea :aok:

lord bunberry
05-10-2021, 09:25 PM
True, but maybe the threat of being closed down would finally make them buck up their ideas. Proper registration with proof of identification would stop a lot of this hate speech.

Vault Boy
05-10-2021, 09:32 PM
Absolutely horrifying.

ian cruise
05-10-2021, 10:05 PM
Social media is a Pandora's box, now it's open closing it is almost impossible. We must find a way to stop these cretins from acting the way they do though. Absolutely no excuse for this behaviour, and I'd say the same regardless of the club he'd played for.

Eyrie
05-10-2021, 10:08 PM

Correct.

jacomo
05-10-2021, 10:13 PM

Why is it? All of Facebook’s services were down for hours on Monday, the world still turned.

Sanctioning these companies by shutting them down for a day or a week would encourage them to up their game.

I believe we will look back on this time in history and shake our heads with disbelief that we allowed social media to do so much damage to mental health, democracy, etc before we took action.

WhileTheChief..
05-10-2021, 11:16 PM
As has been in the news over the past few days with that whistleblower from Facebook, they have acknowledged that "hatred posts" are good for their business. It keeps people online, looking at the ads etc etc.

If it is to change, there is going to need to be some stronger incentive than to just "do the right thing" as it clearly isn't working.

It's genuinely disgraceful what some people have to put up with.

Is there anything more cowardly than racially abusing someone whilst hiding behind the anonymity of an internet pseudonym?

Think this could prove to be a turning point.

Expect to see heavy regulation or being forced to sell off parts of the business.

Weegreenman
06-10-2021, 03:11 AM
There must be something we can all do to stop this. Enough is enough!

Gloucester Hibs
06-10-2021, 04:16 AM
Social media should have KYC checks in place for all users (proof of ID) - that would stop the anonymous hate posts stone dead IMO. Reckon it will come eventually…

Since452
06-10-2021, 05:32 AM
It's 2021. Embarrassing. We really are a primitive race.

JimBHibees
06-10-2021, 05:39 AM

The threat of it should definitely be there if they continue to do nothing.

JimBHibees
06-10-2021, 05:41 AM
Why is it? All of Facebook’s services were down for hours on Monday, the world still turned.

Sanctioning these companies by shutting them down for a day or a week would encourage them to up their game.

I believe we will look back on this time in history and shake our heads with disbelief that we allowed social media to do so much damage to mental health, democracy, etc before we took action.

Exactly it is absolutely scandalous that platforms peddling such hatred are allowed to act with complete impunity.

Lendo
06-10-2021, 03:20 PM
Instagram has the capability to detect racist language. Try posting a picture or a Story about Covid or your vaccination and it’ll automatically detect it and fire on a Covid information link.

They have the technology to do that but they won’t deploy it, for whatever reason, to detect racist language.

SChibs
06-10-2021, 04:34 PM

Giving governments that much power over the Internet is a dangerous path to go down. It wouldn't even work in practice as what jurisdiction does the UK government have to shut down an American company?

JimBHibees
06-10-2021, 04:51 PM
Giving governments that much power over the Internet is a dangerous path to go down. It wouldn't even work in practice as what jurisdiction does the UK government have to shut down an American company?

Yes appreciate that however something needs to be done and neither social media companies or governments are doing anywhere near enough.

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-10-2021, 05:34 PM

The big players know that this won't happen and that's why there is no great urgency to try to solve this issue. Personally, apart from Hibs.net I don't engage with Social Media at all, but that's my freedom of choice, as it others to be fully immersed. It could be a generation thing but I find a lot of it a bit sad and naff, for want of a better word.

Radium
06-10-2021, 05:35 PM
Yes appreciate that however something needs to be done and neither social media companies or governments are doing anywhere near enough.

Might be too simplistic but this is the change that I think is needed.

At present the SM companies get away with branding themselves as telephone style companies meaning that they take the position that what people say to each other is not their immediate problem.

Treat them like newspapers and make them responsible for the content. Give them a due diligence defence with a short period to correct/ remove posts. This would drive accountability, limit bots and likely remove the majority of anonymous accounts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peevemor
06-10-2021, 07:04 PM
https://news.stv.tv/sport/bartley-vows-not-to-give-up-fight-against-racism-after-receiving-abuse?top

He's a smart cookie and speaks really well.

poolman
06-10-2021, 08:29 PM
Big Marv looks really comfortable behind the camera, could go on to have a big career in the media

cameronw-hfc
06-10-2021, 08:51 PM
If his coaching career takes off, would love to see him back home. Either way, Marv has the whole club behind him and most of the country.