PDA

View Full Version : Was it inevitable that Porto would get himself sent off?

RIP
03-10-2021, 04:50 PM
Was anyone else worried before the match?

easty
03-10-2021, 04:51 PM
No

Wilson
No.

hibee_girl
Absolutely not

MWHIBBIES
03-10-2021, 04:57 PM
Probably yeah. There is an agenda against him and while today wasn't a red card, a classier defender stays up and wins it without the need to slide in.

Ryan is a great player, but that won't be his last red in a big game.

Sweet Left Peg
03-10-2021, 04:59 PM
Probably yeah. There is an agenda against him and while today wasn't a red card, a classier defender stays up and wins it without the need to slide in.

One hundred percent

Peevemor
03-10-2021, 05:00 PM
No. I thought he'd cut out the daft challenges.

04Sauzee
03-10-2021, 05:02 PM

We get it you think it was a red card. It wasn't it was an atrocious decision from the official.

Wilson
03-10-2021, 05:03 PM

First red of the season. None last season?

Not exactly the bad boy of Scottish football.

Certainly not a given that he would get sent off.

Baader
03-10-2021, 05:03 PM
No and it isn't his fault that the officials are incompetent cheats.

Peevemor
03-10-2021, 05:04 PM
We get it you think it was a red card. It wasn't it was an atrocious decision from the official.I've never once said that I thought it was a red.

Coco Bryce
03-10-2021, 05:05 PM
Said to my mate just before KO. Nisbet would score today and Porto would probably get sent off as he would be buzzing playing against them.

Hibee Mac
03-10-2021, 05:07 PM
We get it you think it was a red card. It wasn't it was an atrocious decision from the official.In fairness to him it's not exactly a clear cut decision either way, some angles look completely innocuous including the main live TV angle but then others look like his leg is straight with studs up and his foot is completely over the ball with more force than is needed to win the ball fairly.

The more I look at it I honestly can't tell if it's a red or a clean tackle. My opinion changes every camera angle ...

hibee
03-10-2021, 05:07 PM
No

ekhibee
03-10-2021, 05:14 PM

Totally agree. Parts of his game are excellent but he takes liberties, and he doesn't seemed to have changed that way either. For all that he's a really good player but the sending off changed the game IMO.

Dmas
03-10-2021, 05:18 PM
In fairness to him it's not exactly a clear cut decision either way, some angles look completely innocuous including the main live TV angle but then others look like his leg is straight with studs up and his foot is completely over the ball with more force than is needed to win the ball fairly.

The more I look at it I honestly can't tell if it's a red or a clean tackle. My opinion changes every camera angle ...

The fact he takes all of the ball and none of the man tells you it was a clean tackle

We’re talking about a contact sport and a guy has been shown a straight red card for making no contact in a challenge, he’s been sent off because he’s Ryan porteous no player in blue is sent off for a challenge like that

bigwheel
03-10-2021, 05:21 PM
What a ridiculous OP …there was no reason to expect him to be off today

Torto7
03-10-2021, 05:22 PM
Totally agree. Parts of his game are excellent but he takes liberties, and he doesn't seemed to have changed that way either. For all that he's a really good player but the sending off changed the game IMO.

It wasnt a red card. Its tragic seeing hibs fans reinforce a smear campaign started in the media by people with agendas, the same ones who have smeared Boyle. Ryans a tall poppy and young too many misery guts in Scottish society just want to pull people down. I wouldnt blame the lad if he wanted to get away from Scotland.

Hibee Mac
03-10-2021, 05:31 PM
The fact he takes all of the ball and none of the man tells you it was a clean tackle

We’re talking about a contact sport and a guy has been shown a straight red card for making no contact in a challenge, he’s been sent off because he’s Ryan porteous no player in blue is sent off for a challenge like thatFootball has moved past the stage of "contact makes anything okay". The ref has judged that there was intent to harm and In that scenario whether he makes contact or not is irrelevant.

For what it's worth I'm undecided but if I had to choose I'd say it probably was a red. But my point is that whether he makes contact with the ball is irrelevant, and that's not even up for debate it's literally in the rules of the game.

mcohibs
03-10-2021, 05:33 PM

We’re talking about a contact sport and a guy has been shown a straight red card for making no contact in a challenge, he’s been sent off because he’s Ryan porteous no player in blue is sent off for a challenge like that

You know that making contact has absolutely nothing to do with whether it's a red card don't you?

https://i.ibb.co/wsZVT1g/Screenshot-20211003-172432.jpg (https://ibb.co/HdL60Q4)

It's a very 'Ryan Porteous' tackle. Can easily stay on his feet and win the ball but decides to go to ground and go for the needless hard man approach. Cost us today.

HH81
03-10-2021, 05:34 PM

Someone on twitter posted a bet had placed on it happening. Think was 25-1.

Keith_M
03-10-2021, 05:36 PM
We get it you think it was a red card. It wasn't it was an atrocious decision from the official.

Come on, that's a bit unfair on Peevemor.

All he's said (as far as I can see) is that Porteous should probably have been a bit more careful.

That ref was atrocious and was looking for any excuse to send off a Hibs player, while ignoring the same type of challenges from The Stickies.

A Hi-Bee
03-10-2021, 05:38 PM
What a ridiculous OP …there was no reason to expect him to be off today

:top marks

Squealing pig
03-10-2021, 05:40 PM
Was strolling it too , cost us dear, maybe the lad from down south can force his way into the team next few games

A Hi-Bee
You know that making contact has absolutely nothing to do with whether it's a red card don't you?

https://i.ibb.co/wsZVT1g/Screenshot-20211003-172432.jpg (https://ibb.co/HdL60Q4)

It's a very 'Ryan Porteous' tackle. Can easily stay on his feet and win the ball but decides to go to ground and go for the needless hard man approach. Cost us today.

You very obviously never seen real hard ****ers playing and making tackles. This smells a bit like smear.

cameronw-hfc
Inevitable, no. Worried he would get sent off, yeah

The Captain....
03-10-2021, 05:41 PM
What chance have you got when your own fans are swallowing the narrative.

No, I didn't think he'd get sent off and I still don't think it was a red. A weak and questionable referee with a history of giving Rangers favourable decisions reacted to the crowd and couldn't wait to theatrically wave a red card.

Scottish football is absolutely rancid.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Alfred E Newman
03-10-2021, 05:43 PM

It was reckless and though he won the ball it gave the referee the opportunity to flash the red and appease the crowd.
I like Porteous but it was poor judgement that eventually cost us the game.

mcohibs
03-10-2021, 05:49 PM
You very obviously never seen real hard ****ers playing and making tackles. This smells a bit like smear.

Couldn't give a **** about hard ****ers playing for us or not. How about players keeping the bloody head and not diving into tackles they could win on their feet

The Harp
03-10-2021, 06:04 PM
You'll be hoping those fair-minded guys on Sportscene agree with your view. Doesn't seem many on here do.

Northernhibee
03-10-2021, 06:05 PM
It was inevitable we’d get a red card against us as we were leading at Ibrox.

147lothian
03-10-2021, 06:06 PM
Personally I think Porteous has been having a good season, he has cut the rashness out of his game so my answer is a decisive

NO

marinello59
03-10-2021, 06:08 PM

No. He’s matured a lot this season. That tackle today was silly and he didn’t even need to slide in but I will not be hounding him for it. He gave the ref all he needed to send him off. These things happen.

truehibernian
03-10-2021, 06:15 PM
If we are still there and there abouts when we next play them, I'd seriously consider not playing him from the start. Sad - and almost pandering to them - but it's an absolute given the Rangers press will lead into the game saying 'strong referee required' and references to Porto. Don't give the ref that easy opportunity, as Ryan will probably rise to the bait.

Irish_Steve
03-10-2021, 06:18 PM
I didn't think he would get sent off at the start of the game. And I'm not swallowing any "narrative" not matter how juvenile that comment is.

However, it was an extremely rash challenge from Porto and he does have a bit of previous history of this. I even said after the St Johnstone game that there was a couple of times he was trying to impose himself on Kane instead of just winning the ball.

These types of tackles have cost him long spells out of the game with injury and he doesn't appear to be learning that lesson

green day
03-10-2021, 06:20 PM
It wasn't inevitable at all.....but Ryan still has this in his game. We saw it against Livi (maybe) a few weeks ago when he dived into one.

He needed to be solid and controlled for 90 minutes today and he wasn't

He has been excellent this season so far, but being suckered into that challenge shows he isn't the finished article yet.

xyz23jc
03-10-2021, 06:41 PM
In fairness to him it's not exactly a clear cut decision either way, some angles look completely innocuous including the main live TV angle but then others look like his leg is straight with studs up and his foot is completely over the ball with more force than is needed to win the ball fairly.

Maybe factor in...Where are we? Who are we playing, no fans, 50,000 anti-racist bigots barking blood...Do the Math! Lol! :greengrin

The Pointer
03-10-2021, 06:50 PM
Having watched it on Sportscene I think it was an unnecessary sliding tackle and warranted the red card.

Given the toxic atmosphere, he should have been wary of petulance, particularly immediately following Morelos' push on him just prior to the sending-off. Trouble with Ryan is, he's not a naïve youngster any more but persists in making rash decisions, something which will affect the level of game he plays at if he ever leaves Hibs or wants to play on the international stage.

ShetlandHibby
03-10-2021, 06:51 PM
What’s this ridiculous chat about smear campaigns against Porto and Boyle?? Two things

Porto dives into tackles that in this day and age are not allowed and risk red cards. This is true as it’s happened quite a few times now.
Boyle does have a tendency to go down easy. Love him but he does like a wee dive now and again.

e2los
03-10-2021, 07:20 PM
Porto didn't get himself sent off Nick Walsh did it.

Yellow card maybe if that for Porto, not a red.

xyz23jc
03-10-2021, 07:22 PM
Porto didn't get himself sent off Nick Walsh shat it.

Yellow card maybe if that for Porto, not a red.

Fixed! :greengrin:thumbsup:

Bishop Hibee
03-10-2021, 07:27 PM
No.

04Sauzee
03-10-2021, 07:56 PM
I've never once said that I thought it was a red.

Apologies, I'm in angry mode. Apologies again.

Peevemor
03-10-2021, 07:58 PM
Apologies, I'm in angry mode. Apologies again.[emoji106]

givescotlandfreedom
03-10-2021, 08:01 PM
The guy's been stamped on by the guy who later scored the winner that day and had a goal ruled off wrongly in the last two games against them. A joke red card was the next logical step.

Carheenlea
03-10-2021, 08:07 PM
Was it inevitable that Porto would get himself sent off?

This train of thought is pretty much exactly what the referee had. A reputation (disproportionately levelled at him) that goes before him and is not treated on a level playing field than his peers because of that.

Weegreenman
03-10-2021, 08:09 PM
Morelos caught Porto with an elbow in the back earlier in the game. The two of them have been at war for a while now. Constantly winding each other up!

Morelos won the battle today I’m afraid.

The answer to the question……YES!

B.H.F.C
03-10-2021, 08:10 PM
Was it inevitable that Porto would get himself sent off?

This train of thought is pretty much exactly what the referee had. A reputation (disproportionately levelled at him) that goes before him and is not treated on a level playing field than his peers because of that.

Absolutely this. They have properly singled him out over a prolonged period of time. So much so that his own manager, and elements of his own support, now seem to have bought in to it.

I’m usually pretty critical of Hibs players when they’ve made a mistake but I feel bloody sorry for him tonight. I think he’s been hung out to dry.

Carheenlea
03-10-2021, 08:14 PM
Absolutely this. They have properly singled him out over a prolonged period of time. So much so that his own manager, and elements of his own support, now seem to have bought in to it.

I’m usually pretty critical of Hibs players when they’ve made a mistake but I feel bloody sorry for him tonight. I think he’s been hung out to dry.

Couldn’t agree more :agree:

Nicho87
03-10-2021, 08:16 PM
Sportscene didn’t even question the offside goal

On the show 2 ex rangers players

Just about sums them up

BS44
03-10-2021, 08:21 PM

Pity you didn't start a thread before game saying that he would get himself sent off today, really easy after it actually happens.

Bizarrely, before kick off I just knew that Hibs would be leading one nil after ten minutes, Nisbet scoring from a Cadden cross, just didn't think to mention earlier.

B.H.F.C
03-10-2021, 08:26 PM
I don’t think he did anything wrong today but I’m not sure we can play him at Hampden now. He wasn’t sent off for the tackle today. He was sent off because of who he is, who he was tackling and because of everything that has built up. It’ll have went up another 10 levels on the back of today. They’ll outnumber us 3 or 4 to 1 at Hampden and be all over whatever joker is refereeing as soon as he makes any kind of challenge.

angus hibby
03-10-2021, 08:50 PM
Given what’s gone on before with Porteous against Rangers and Gerrards comments at the time, pretty much certain that Gerrard has been in the refs ear before the match about it. Just telling him to watch for strong tackles etc. Seed planted and ref happy to oblige.

Hibs90
03-10-2021, 09:03 PM

Spot on.

I feel bad for him because he’s never going to get any favours up here since the Buns have created the media fury and this reputation for him now. I wouldn’t blame him for wanting a move down south where he can shine and fulfill his potential and hopefully for Scotland also. I’d not want him to leave obviously but I wouldn’t blame him one bit.

The Hun have succeeded in giving him this reputation through a prolonged period of media scrutiny and causing scenes at matches and it may well just ruin his career.

500miles
03-10-2021, 09:05 PM
I wish Jack Ross hadn't have sat on the fence, backed his player, called out the simulation and told Gerrard to keep his mouth shut about our players.

mcohibs
03-10-2021, 09:20 PM
I wish Jack Ross hadn't have sat on the fence, backed his player, called out the simulation and told Gerrard to keep his mouth shut about our players.

You're assuming that he thinks Porteous is blameless. I think the fact that he hasn't backed his player on this actually tells you how he feels about how Ryan went into that tackle.

RIP
03-10-2021, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the excellent responses (bar one or two predictable attacks from the self-appointed Net police.)

I didn’t think it was inevitable that Ryan would be dismissed as I hoped that he was too mature to lose judgement during such a critical game. But regardless of what any of us think of the refereeing, I’d be very surprised if Ryan hasn’t already apologised to Kevin, Jack and the rest of the lads for a tackle he really didn’t have to make.

If none of them were worried about him before a game against Rangers, I wonder how they are going to feel before the semifinal?

FitbaFolkKen
03-10-2021, 09:33 PM
Last time Nick Walsh reffed this fixture he sent Ryan off for the tackle in the link. Ryan perhaps needed to be a bit cleverer here.

I don’t think it’s a red but if a ref has sent you off before then you need to make sure you are squeaky clean, if he has thought the original red was malicious he may well have had it in the back of his mind when sending him off today.

https://youtu.be/By4azk6RbCk/?t=05m19s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cabbageandribs1875
03-10-2021, 09:40 PM
that's four yellows and a red in the first 8 league games, he really needs to cool it

Lancs Harp
03-10-2021, 09:43 PM
Inevitable? No
Surprised? No

If he wants to be top player and the lad has ability, he really needs to sort his decision making. Thats quite often the difference between a good player and a great player.

wookie70
03-10-2021, 10:07 PM
Football has moved past the stage of "contact makes anything okay". The ref has judged that there was intent to harm and In that scenario whether he makes contact or not is irrelevant.

For what it's worth I'm undecided but if I had to choose I'd say it probably was a red. But my point is that whether he makes contact with the ball is irrelevant, and that's not even up for debate it's literally in the rules of the game.

The rule doesn't mention intent from what I see. It is all about endangering an opponent whether you mean it or not. Not sure he does that as the follow through doesn't make contact despite there being no evasive movement from the opponent. Trying to look at all the angles, the one that looks bad sees Ryan touch the ball when The Rangers player is a good yard away. By the time he slides through the player is past the action and out of the way of the follow through. You can't endanger the player when he can't be caught by the movement of the defender. His fake stumble after the tackle was the only thing that endangered him and could easily have been a booking. Imo it is a defender going in strong and an attacker not fancying it. The ref basically did what biased Scottish refs do. Give the advantage where possible to the The Thes particularly with 50 odd thousand shouting and an unchallenged narrative of Porteous is a thug. whether the refs are intentionally biased and corrupt might be up for debate but Scottish football is completely corrupt allowing The Uglies to ban away fans and having referees almost exclusively from the west of Scotland.

I'm really disappointed in Jack Ross. He should be publicly standing up for Porteous especially the way Gerrard has went after him. The same Gerrard who really was a nasty piece of dirt on the fitba field. Ross is without doubt an honest guy giving his opinion but he must see how successful Gerrard is in playing the victim card with Morelos and making out Porteous is a thug. I'm a bit fed up with us constantly playing with a straight bat when others are driving nails in theirs and playing dirty.

inglisavhibs
03-10-2021, 10:26 PM
I don’t think he did anything wrong today but I’m not sure we can play him at Hampden now. He wasn’t sent off for the tackle today. He was sent off because of who he is, who he was tackling and because of everything that has built up. It’ll have went up another 10 levels on the back of today. They’ll outnumber us 3 or 4 to 1 at Hampden and be all over whatever joker is refereeing as soon as he makes any kind of challenge.
He will 100per cent be playing at Hampden if fit of course. He is our best player and a huge reason we have done so well this season.

1875godsgift
03-10-2021, 11:04 PM
The rule doesn't mention intent from what I see. It is all about endangering an opponent whether you mean it or not. Not sure he does that as the follow through doesn't make contact despite there being no evasive movement from the opponent. Trying to look at all the angles, the one that looks bad sees Ryan touch the ball when The Rangers player is a good yard away. By the time he slides through the player is past the action and out of the way of the follow through. You can't endanger the player when he can't be caught by the movement of the defender. His fake stumble after the tackle was the only thing that endangered him and could easily have been a booking. Imo it is a defender going in strong and an attacker not fancying it. The ref basically did what biased Scottish refs do. Give the advantage where possible to the The Thes particularly with 50 odd thousand shouting and an unchallenged narrative of Porteous is a thug. whether the refs are intentionally biased and corrupt might be up for debate but Scottish football is completely corrupt allowing The Uglies to ban away fans and having referees almost exclusively from the west of Scotland.

I'm really disappointed in Jack Ross. He should be publicly standing up for Porteous especially the way Gerrard has went after him. The same Gerrard who really was a nasty piece of dirt on the fitba field. Ross is without doubt an honest guy giving his opinion but he must see how successful Gerrard is in playing the victim card with Morelos and making out Porteous is a thug. I'm a bit fed up with us constantly playing with a straight bat when others are driving nails in theirs and playing dirty.

:thumbsup:
I wouldn't even call it a tackle, he brilliantly won a 50/50 ball, got it to a team-mate and looked to be setting up a counter-attack. If you cut that sort of movement out of football, you might as well dress them up in bike helmets, moon boots and Mr. Blobby suits (guess which lard-ass Hun wouldn't need one).

I'm also not buying the 'Oh, it's just incompetence from ***** referees, it all evens it's self out' - it's pure bias and corruption from a mafia of Glasgow-centric referees, who can even boast about having never given a penalty against the team they support???

heretoday
04-10-2021, 02:33 AM
It was a disgraceful decision. No way any of the Rangers players would have even been cautioned for that.
Mind you when I heard the ref had abseiled down to the pitch from the stand roof I feared the worst.

matty_f
04-10-2021, 05:16 AM
Porteous has had two straight red cards, both against Rangers, both with the same referee (iirc).

This isn’t a trend in Porto’s behaviour that’s getting him in bother.

Dobosz83
04-10-2021, 05:27 AM
What chance have you got when your own fans are swallowing the narrative.

No, I didn't think he'd get sent off and I still don't think it was a red. A weak and questionable referee with a history of giving Rangers favourable decisions reacted to the crowd and couldn't wait to theatrically wave a red card.

Scottish football is absolutely rancid.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

100% agreed. A fair portion of Hibs fans are swallowing the nonsense by the media.

There is even a Daily Record headline quoting Gerrard which actually implies Porteous broke a leg yesterday, which he of course, absolutely did not.

People have short memories, Gerrard refused to shake his hand after a draw at ER last season, their club hate the lad and single him out in games whether it be physicality or theatrics. It’s no surprise what way these decisions go season after season. Morelos “missed red” then scoring the winner last season immediately springs to mind…

Since452
04-10-2021, 05:29 AM
If you're flying in like that then you're giving the referee a decision to make. He didn't have to.

Peevemor
04-10-2021, 05:31 AM
What a load of insulting, patronising garbage - Hibs fans "swallowing the narrative".

What about Hibs fans who can make their own minds up without getting sucked in by social media paranoia?

Since452
04-10-2021, 05:41 AM
What a load of insulting, patronising garbage - Hibs fans "swallowing the narrative".

What about Hibs fans who can make their own minds up without getting suckled in by social media paranoia?

If you think it's a red then you're talking pish apparently. You need to be absolutely outraged at the decision. Watched it numerous times and I can absolutely see why he was sent off. Needless recklessness. I'm more annoyed at Porteous and our horrible defending for the goals.

StevieC
04-10-2021, 05:56 AM

What about Hibs fans who can make their own minds up without getting sucked in by social media paranoia?

Good point.

It was a rash, unnecessary challenge that allowed the referee to make a decision on the back of 50,000 bigots baying for blood.

If you want to question referee decisions then I would look at the lack of bookings for Rangers players .. Morelos into the back of Porteous, Morelos twice pushing Hibs players off the ball, Aribo’s kick at Newell (when already on a booking), Wright going down looking for a penalty from McGinn (wasn’t even a corner, which the ref gave).

Dobosz83
04-10-2021, 06:13 AM

Calling people like myself “patronising” then going on to patronise Hibs fans being “sucked in by social media”…. A tad hypocritical.

I’m pissed off as yet again, a major game changing decision has gone against Hibs when they are playing Rangers. It happens too regularly. It’s not a red card and it categorically wouldn’t have been if one of their players played the ball like that..

Hibs winning at Ibrox, straight red for a 50/50 from a west coast ref who likes to send players off against Rangers, all while none of us could buy a ticket.

For what it’s worth, Jack Ross appears to “swallow the narrative” as well, considering time and time again he allows Gerrard to talk about Porteous… soft touch this club…

Peevemor
04-10-2021, 06:22 AM
Calling people like myself “patronising” then going on to patronise Hibs fans being “sucked in by social media”…. A tad hypocritical.

I’m pissed off as yet again, a major game changing decision has gone against Hibs when they are playing Rangers. It happens too regularly. It’s not a red card and it categorically wouldn’t have been if one of their players played the ball like that..

Hibs winning at Ibrox, straight red for a 50/50 from a west coast ref who likes to send players off against Rangers, all while none of us could buy a ticket.

For what it’s worth, Jack Ross appears to “swallow the narrative” as well, considering time and time again he allows Gerrard to talk about Porteous… soft touch this club…

Do you understand irony?

JimBHibees
04-10-2021, 06:25 AM
What’s this ridiculous chat about smear campaigns against Porto and Boyle?? Two things

Porto dives into tackles that in this day and age are not allowed and risk red cards. This is true as it’s happened quite a few times now.
Boyle does have a tendency to go down easy. Love him but he does like a wee dive now and again.

The chat about smear campaigns is that there are other players that do similar or worse than these two who are not called out on sportscene and sportsound as doing so because pundits and presenters are scared of saying it e.g if they play for OF or Hearts for that matter.

HH81
04-10-2021, 06:31 AM
Porteous has had two straight red cards, both against Rangers, both with the same referee (iirc).

This isn’t a trend in Porto’s behaviour that’s getting him in bother.

It was never a red but he needs to learn with this referee he needs to be careful.

Walsh clearly has an issue with Porto tackles so needs to stay on his feet.

Greenbeard
04-10-2021, 07:20 AM

Gerrard: I don't know why there is any reason that he wants to go in with that intent.It's the second time that he has done it against us."
The whole country knows why pal but just you keep the blinkers on to to the fact that your club and team, and everything they stand for, is the most hated in Scotland.
Having said that, my green-tinted specs are off and I agree that his tackle potentially endangers the The Hun player cos his studs are up and over the ball, therefore it is more red than yellow and given the circumstances it is not surprising which way the ref leaned.
Loads of folk on here are still watching and commenting on the game as if it was plenty-five years ago when that would have been hailed by all as a world class challenge.
Do I want Hibs players going in with 110% commitment to get to and then win every 50/50 ball? Absolutely and I commend Porto for doing that, especially when there was a real risk that the The Hun would be running through on goal had he won the challenge. Keep doing that Porto. But in future just don't go over the ball and keep the studs down.

500miles
04-10-2021, 07:32 AM
If you're flying in like that then you're giving the referee a decision to make. He didn't have to.

Referees get paid to make the right decision. And porto has to get there early, otherwise he's more likely to catch Aribo.

easty
04-10-2021, 07:39 AM

It’s the referees job to make decisions, giving him one to make doesn’t excuse him getting the decision wrong!

Hibs90
04-10-2021, 07:55 AM

Go on then.

List all the times Porto has dived into tackles?
List all the times Boyle had dived?

Bet you can’t. There’s a smell in this thread.

StevieC
04-10-2021, 09:04 AM
Go on then.

List all the times Porto has dived into tackles?
List all the times Boyle had dived?

Bet you can’t. There’s a smell in this thread.

That depends on whether you are wanting matches, dates, and the time during the game that it happened. It has happened though.

Porteous can be rash with his challenges, and by that I mean diving in with a tackle when he doesn’t need to, but he’s a decent defender so can get away with it most of the time. In my opinion it’s his decision making that is the issue, not so much that he dives in. Nothing wrong with a good sliding tackle, it’s just knowing when it’s the right thing to do.

Boyle’s reputation is unwarranted, IMO, because he is continually targeted by defenders because of his pace and trickery. It’s almost as if he has to anticipate being continually fouled, and on occasion that results in him going down with minimal contact. If he didn’t try to ride some of the challenges put in on him I reckon he’d be out half the season with injury. Unfortunately, the times that he does go down with minimal contact are often singled out and highlighted on the TV, so the reputation is there.

That’s just my opinion of course, and I think ShetlandHibby should also be able to express his without the accusation.