Stan Boardman
Paddy McGuiness

Jack
02-10-2021, 11:33 AM
Is Paddy McGuiness a comedian?

Ewen Cameron ... I win!

Silky
02-10-2021, 12:22 PM
John Beaton, Bobby Madden, Kevin Clancy, Willie Collum.......

Frazerbob
02-10-2021, 12:40 PM
Jim Davidson. Tory voting, Brexit supporting, racist ****. How he’s made a living out of comedy I will never know.

easty
02-10-2021, 12:49 PM
Russell Howard
The wee bald boy off of Mock the Week

Scouse Hibee
02-10-2021, 12:50 PM
Billy Connolly for me, never found him in the least bit funny. Went to see John Bishop live, he was absolute ******.

AltheHibby
02-10-2021, 03:59 PM
Andy Cameron
Bobby Ball

Dalianwanda
02-10-2021, 04:21 PM
Michael MacIntyre
That bald gay guy from Glasgow Craig something
Jack Whitehall

Just Alf
02-10-2021, 04:25 PM
Greg Davies.

Thought I quite liked him.. watched the 1st episode of the cleaner,apart from a wee bit in the loo, was a bit like watching paint dry ...

And point of order to the OP! ... I quite like John Bishop!

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-10-2021, 04:54 PM
Micky Flanagan. The alternative scenes' Stan Boardman. Laughing at your own material is okay only as long as other people are.

Itsnoteasy
02-10-2021, 04:55 PM
Billy Connolly for me, never found him in the least bit funny. Went to see John Bishop live, he was absolute ******.

Yes JB is terrible.

Northernhibee
02-10-2021, 04:59 PM
Michael McIntyre, Lee Evans, John Bishop, Micky Flanigan, Frankie Boyle, Milton Jones, Tim Vine.

Jones28
02-10-2021, 07:07 PM
Andy Parsons, Miranda Hart, anyone who does one liners, Russell Brands stand up is **** thought I quite like him otherwise, Josh Widdacombe is annoying.

Jones28
02-10-2021, 07:07 PM
Michael McIntyre, Lee Evans, John Bishop, Micky Flanigan, Frankie Boyle, Milton Jones, Tim Vine.

You’ve covered pretty much every take on alternative comedy this country has offered up NH, maybe it’s not your thing 😜

Danderhall Hibs
02-10-2021, 07:13 PM

Who do you like?

Northernhibee
02-10-2021, 07:22 PM
Who do you like?

Daniel Sloss, Iain Stirling, Jo Brand, Stewart Lee, Lee Mack, Richard Herring, Phil Wang, Josie Long, Maisie Adams, Romesh Ranganathan, Dave Gorman, Joe Lycett, Ed Gamble, Josh Widdecombe, James Acaster, Rhod Gilbert and if I can add some non British names, David O'Doherty, Rose Matefeo, Rich Hall - I like quite a lot.

Onceinawhile
02-10-2021, 07:40 PM
Kevin bridges
Sarah millican
Rob bryden
John Bishop
Michael mcintyre

davy67 +
02-10-2021, 08:24 PM
Matt Forde
Rob Becket
Russell Howard
Lee Mack
Lee Hurst
Sarah Millican

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-10-2021, 09:26 PM
Any female, just no.

Hibbyradge
03-10-2021, 08:09 AM
Any female, just no.

Ooft

Keith_M
03-10-2021, 08:36 AM
Aside from Rikki Fulton, every Glaswegian comedian... ever.

....Look at me, I'm from Glasgow, I have a funny accent, so I must be funny.

Liverpudlian comedians

....(see Glasgow 'comedians')

Malky Mackay

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-10-2021, 08:40 AM
Ooft

Let me know a funny one.

Dalianwanda
03-10-2021, 08:42 AM
Does Daniel Kitson still do live stuff? He was always my star of the festival...

Hibbyradge
03-10-2021, 10:02 AM
Let me know a funny one.

Clearly it's a matter of taste, but there are loads of very funny women.

French and Saunders were mainstream but were/are brilliant and Catherine Tate's show was unmissible.

I'd happily pay good money to see Nina Conti.

There are many more.

grunt
03-10-2021, 10:11 AM
Any female, just no.Wow.

Keith_M
03-10-2021, 10:31 AM

French and Saunders were mainstream but were/are brilliant and Catherine Tate's show was unmissible.

There are many more.

:agree:

I also like Aisling Bea, especially on shows like QI where she's always good for a laugh.

Wood and Walters, either together or individually, were also really good.

Peevemor
03-10-2021, 11:49 AM
I find there are a lot of comedians who are hilarious when ad-libbing but leave me flat when doing stand-up, which is often their own scripted routines. For me it shows that they're naturally funny but they can't act.

Same for the other way around.

WoreTheGreen
03-10-2021, 11:58 AM
Lenny Henry

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-10-2021, 12:08 PM

There are many more.

I'll give you Catherine Tate but, the rest, no thanks.

blackpoolhibs
03-10-2021, 12:26 PM
Any female, just no.
:faf:

blackpoolhibs
03-10-2021, 12:38 PM
Greg Davies, never laughed at anything he's said, and he spoils it for me if he's on mock the week or shows like that. And never mind the buzzcocks wont be watched now he's in the chair. :rolleyes:

CloudSquall
03-10-2021, 12:56 PM
Any female, just no.

I'm glad someone had the testicles to post this first :greengrin

Anyone pretending to like female comedians is just doing it to win brownie points with the fairer sex and should stop lying to themselves.

marinello59
03-10-2021, 12:56 PM
Greg Davies, never laughed at anything he's said, and he spoils it for me if he's on mock the week or shows like that. And never mind the buzzcocks wont be watched now he's in the chair. :rolleyes:

I like him but found the new version of Buzzcocks dire viewing.

McSwanky
03-10-2021, 01:03 PM

Anyone pretending to like female comedians is just doing it to win brownie points with the fairer sex and should stop lying to themselves.What a load of ****. Fair enough if you don't find any female comedians funny, but you can **** off if you think you can tar everyone else with your bigoted brush.

Peevemor
03-10-2021, 01:09 PM

I also like Aisling Bea, especially on shows like QI where she's always good for a laugh.

Wood and Walters, either together or individually, were also really good.I find Aisling Bea quite good too. Same with Katherine Ryan.

Not British though.

Bangkok Hibby
03-10-2021, 01:12 PM
Lenny Henry

Totally forgot about him. Absolutely sheidt.

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-10-2021, 01:15 PM
[QUOTE=Keith_M;6711750]Aside from Rikki Fulton, every Glaswegian comedian... ever.

....Look at me, I'm from Glasgow, I have a funny accent, so I must be funny.

Liverpudlian comedians

....(see Glasgow 'comedians')

Malky Mackay[/QUOTE

The genius of weegie comedy is how much funnier it gets when they shout.

Hibbyradge
03-10-2021, 05:28 PM

Anyone pretending to like female comedians is just doing it to win brownie points with the fairer sex and should stop lying to themselves.

Stop it.

CropleyWasGod
03-10-2021, 05:47 PM

You almost had me thinking you were serious until you used the phrase "fairer sex".

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-10-2021, 09:18 PM
Stop it.

Stop what?

CallumLaidlaw
03-10-2021, 09:30 PM
Amazed no one has said Tom Allen yet. Awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-10-2021, 09:37 PM

Put your body armour on.

Moulin Yarns
03-10-2021, 09:38 PM
HUTCHYHIBBY and CloudSquall

blackpoolhibs
04-10-2021, 06:40 AM

He's another one as funny as covid. I'm so glad he tells us he's gay every 5 minutes, I'd never have guessed otherwise.

Pretty Boy
04-10-2021, 07:47 AM
Julian Clary.

I don't know if it's a generational thing and he was really edgy in the 80s and 90s but his whole act is just so tired and dated. There are loads of comedians from the LGBT community now so touring shows called 'the art of being a big mincer' and crap innuendos just doesn't cut it anymore.

bigwheel
04-10-2021, 07:54 AM
Julian Clary.

I don't know if it's a generational thing and he was really edgy in the 80s and 90s but his whole act is just so tired and dated. There are loads of comedians from the LGBT community now so touring shows called 'the art of being a big mincer' and crap innuendos just doesn't cut it anymore.

I think that’s a decent summary - when he came on the scene in the post punk world , he was so different than anything we had seen before ….

Think the first time I saw him was early 80s as “Joan Collins fan club” in the fringe. Was edgy at the time

Moulin Yarns
04-10-2021, 08:08 AM
Eddie Izzard.

I win. 👍

Santa Cruz
04-10-2021, 09:27 AM
John Bishop
The Krankies
Janey Godley
James Corden (good singer)
Mrs Browns Boys bloke Brendan whatever, how is that a prime time show? It amazes me when I speak to someone who watches it.

lord bunberry
04-10-2021, 10:56 AM
I like most of the comedians mentioned on this thread. I really don’t like Craig Hill, but through my job I tend to meet a few comedians during the festival. I wanted Hill to be as annoying as he is on stage, but annoyingly he was lovely. The nicest one I’ve met is Dara O Brian who I met this year, such a nice man.

Pretty Boy
04-10-2021, 12:20 PM
Ricky Gervais.

Absolutely amazing writer, good actor but a truly terrible stand up.

Bangkok Hibby
04-10-2021, 12:33 PM
Ricky Gervais.

Held back on this as I know he's the definition of Marmite 😃 For me he's the cleverest (is that a word) comedian out there. Not side splittingly funny but fantastic entertainment, both in his superb tv stuff and also as a stand up.

matty_f
04-10-2021, 02:02 PM
Ricky Gervais.

I really, really like the vast majority of his stand up. Think it’s only been the Fame show that i wasn’t that taken with.

Pretty Boy
04-10-2021, 03:28 PM
I really, really like the vast majority of his stand up. Think it’s only been the Fame show that i wasn’t that taken with.

I just find his stuff so obviously scripted.

I know almost all stand up is scripted but it just seemed there was nothing genuine about Gervais at all.

I saw him live a good 10-15 years ago and there was actually big signs everywhere saying 'no hecklers'. There was an inevitable heckle and whilst most comedians put such types in their place RG just totally froze, there was an awkward silence for about 2 minutes whilst he waited on security removing said heckler.

I love almost all his TV work but as a stand up he just leaves me cold.

Hermit Crab
04-10-2021, 03:52 PM
I'll give you Catherine Tate but, the rest, no thanks.

Rachel Jackson, she even comes from Edinburgh.

Hermit Crab
04-10-2021, 03:53 PM
In no particular order...

Miranda Hart
James Corden
Mrs ****ing Brown
Jack Whitehall
Michael McIntyre
David Walliams
John Bishop
Stan Boardman
Paddy McGuiness

How the **** big bird from sesame street got a prime time slot on the bbc is astounding, truly woeful comedian

Hermit Crab
04-10-2021, 03:55 PM
Susan Calman and her buddy Janet Godley. I'd pay money for them NOT to do shows. Brutal, brutal stuff. The hogmanay show they did together was pure cringe. They were literally dying on live tv in front of millions of viewers.

Lendo
04-10-2021, 05:25 PM
Ricky Gervais.

Saw one of his shows at the Playhouse years back and it was utterly awful. He even said during it that it was still a work in progress but had the audacity to charge £30 or £40 for a ticket.

At least when Frankie Boyle is working on new material to try out he goes to the Stand for open mic night on a Monday.

Hibernia&Alba
04-10-2021, 06:03 PM
Has to be McIntyre. Anodyne nonsense; comedy for people whop send their kids to private school.

By the way, I can't believe Billy Connolly and Eddie Izzard have been mentioned. Just goes to show how subjective these things are.

lyonhibs
04-10-2021, 07:57 PM
Has to be McIntyre. Anodyne nonsense; comedy for people whop send their kids to private school.

By the way, I can't believe Billy Connolly and Eddie Izzard have been mentioned. Just goes to show how subjective these things are.

Out of interest, what other fundamental flaws do you attribute to people based on where they sent their kids to school? Michael MacIntyre is dreadful, I concur.

I think everyone I can't stand has been mentioned. Can't stand Lee Evans either. Running about sweating like a pig making contorted faces and weird noises is not my idea of comedy.

Hibernia&Alba
04-10-2021, 08:28 PM
Out of interest, what other fundamental flaws do you attribute to people based on where they sent their kids to school?

Toryism
Golf
Marks and Spencers knitwear
The entire back catalogue of Phil Collins
Red wine collection
Regularly using phrases like "it's political correctness gone mad" and "they have it too cushy on welfare".
Brexit supporters
Have The Daily Mail/Telegraph delivered

Dead giveaways :agree:

WeeRussell
04-10-2021, 09:01 PM
Ricky Gervais.

It’s funny as I used to have pretty much the same opinion. Warmed to him as a stand-up, got offered a free ticket for his show and came away sold that he could do that brilliantly as well!

Someone mentioned earlier that Dara O’Brien is a really nice guy and I can really believe that, I reckon he would be. Makes me feel worse about the fact I nearly need to turn it over when he starts trying to get involved in the gags during mock the week.

Michael macintyre and Alan carr,

lyonhibs
04-10-2021, 09:07 PM
Toryism
Golf
Red wine collection
Regularly using phrases like "it's political correctness gone mad" and "they have it too cushy on welfare".
Brexit supporters

That's just Jambo gammons, where they school their kids has nothing to do with it. Yes, I went to a private school and I'm happy to say my parents couldn't be further from your guff stereotype.

StevesFamau5
04-10-2021, 09:27 PM
James Corden - annoying voice, forced attempts to seek validation and a truly dreadful actor as well.

Russell Brand - the voice of the sanctimonious self absorbed 'intelligent' numpties. Grade A prick.

Amy Schumer - just can't believe someone that annoying gets so many gigs. Same jokes regurgitated time and time again.

Jim Davidson and Roy Chubby Brown - tools of the highest order. Chubby especially is a vile peice of sh*t.

Comedians I do like.. Romesh Ranganathan, David Mitchell, Bill Bailey and Peter Kay. Female wise. Katherine Ryan, Aisling Bea and Jo Caulfield (who is a Hibby as well now).

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Hibernia&Alba
04-10-2021, 09:43 PM
That's just Jambo gammons, where they school their kids has nothing to do with it. Yes, I went to a private school and I'm happy to say my parents couldn't be further from your guff stereotype.

Margo and Jerry from the Good Life are how I imagine all parents of private school kids :greengrin

Hibbyradge
05-10-2021, 07:49 AM
Toryism
Golf
Red wine collection
Brexit supporters

**** off with your golf comment.

Golf is a working person's game,

I'm pure dead raging, so I'm are.

Hibbyradge
05-10-2021, 07:50 AM
Margo and Jerry from the Good Life are how I imagine all parents of private school kids :greengrin

Margo had something about her, by the way...

Peevemor
05-10-2021, 07:59 AM

:agree: Felicity Kendal got most of the attention but I reckon Penelope Keith would have been more "interesting".

Bangkok Hibby
05-10-2021, 08:11 AM
:agree: Felicity Kendal got most of the attention but I reckon Penelope Keith would have been more "interesting".

Oh yes, maybe after a few dry sherry's 😀

Kato
05-10-2021, 08:43 AM
Craig Levein

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

patch1875
05-10-2021, 09:23 AM
Toryism
Golf
Red wine collection
Brexit supporters

My daughter is at private school. I do play the odd round of golf and I’ve a couple bottles of red on the house.

The rest is a no I was brought up in the banana flats😂

JimBHibees
05-10-2021, 11:04 AM

Your just saying that about Connolly because the opening post didn't like Stan Boardman :greengrin

JimBHibees
05-10-2021, 11:12 AM
Lenny Henry

Agree absolute torture. Not a great fan of Gervais as stand up though do like the office stuff.

Do like Bridges and Billy Connolly seen him a couple of times absolutely superb. Enjoyed his older stuff which was on a documentary a year or so back.

Scouse Hibee
05-10-2021, 12:34 PM
Your just saying that about Connolly because the opening post didn't like Stan Boardman :greengrin

Nah I’m just saying because he’s crap.😁

Pretty Boy
05-10-2021, 02:41 PM
I always find Billy Connolly an odd one.

His older stuff, from before my time but obviously readily available, is genius. There's a reason so many comedians across generations and genres cite him as an influence. He then had a spell when he reinvented himself brilliantly. He knew the Glasgow patter and shipyard stuff wouldn't fly anymore so picked holes in the absurdity of his celebrity life and reminisced about where he came from with a touching fondness and weaved the 2 together well. Then he just lost it. I saw him in Edinburgh in 2004ish and he was good but not great, certainly not close to his pomp. The last I saw of him as a stand up was a DVD he released sometime in the early 10s and it was awful.

His TV work is still consistently good and his back catalogue is such that I can forgive the latter stuff.

McD
05-10-2021, 07:33 PM

His older stuff, from before my time but obviously readily available, is genius. There's a reason so many comedians across generations and genres cite him as an influence. He then had a spell when he reinvented himself brilliantly. He knew the Glasgow patter and shipyard stuff wouldn't fly anymore so picked holes in the absurdity of his celebrity life and reminisced about where he came from with a touching fondness and weaved the 2 together well. Then he just lost it. I saw him in Edinburgh in 2004ish and he was good but not great, certainly not close to his pomp. The last I saw of him as a stand up was a DVD he released sometime in the early 10s and it was awful.

His TV work is still consistently good and his back catalogue is such that I can forgive the latter stuff.

agree very much PB, there’s a slide starting very late 90s-early 2000s, where he just starts to deteriorate, his early stuff through the 80s and and 90s is fantastic.

I still love the world tour of Scotland

Moulin Yarns
05-10-2021, 09:31 PM
Alan Carr!!

Bangkok Hibby
06-10-2021, 12:00 AM
Alan Carr!!

David Walliams

Hibernia&Alba
06-10-2021, 12:23 AM

Oh yes, maybe after a few dry sherry's 😀

Filthy bassas. I'm appalled :greengrin

JimBHibees
06-10-2021, 06:08 AM
Nah I’m just saying because he’s crap.😁

:greengrin

JimBHibees
06-10-2021, 06:13 AM

I think that is fair his best stuff is always the older stuff. Saw him late 80s and was brilliant but agree think he struggled at times not doing the West of Scotland working class stuff when he obviously moved on in life and up the social ladder. Still find his travel documentaries very good though. Wonder if his current condition had anything to do with his apparent decline maybe completely unrelated maybe not.

Peevemor
06-10-2021, 06:39 AM
I've always liked Billy Connolly although I found the whole period when he was knocking about with Andrew, Fergie & co. a bit weird - I suspect the women were the link.

I saw him live at the Playhouse in 1982. Alan Rough made his Hibs debut against Celtic at ER that afternoon - we lost 3-2 in a very entertaining match (Gary Murray scored our goals). Connolly had been at the match and mentioned it in his routine.

Funny how clearly you remember some things almost 40 years down the line.

Jim44
07-10-2021, 05:52 PM
Eddie Izzard.

I win. 👍

I was about to say Eddie Izzard, but thought I’d check through the thread first. Very good marathon enthusiast, but comedian? :bye:

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-10-2021, 06:25 PM
I was about to say Eddie Izzard, but thought I’d check through the thread first. Very good marathon enthusiast, but comedian? :bye:

Snickers now surely? 😉

Keith_M
07-10-2021, 08:41 PM
I find Aisling Bea quite good too. Same with Katherine Ryan.

Not British though.

True

:greengrin

degenerated
07-10-2021, 08:48 PM
I've always liked Billy Connolly although I found the whole period when he was knocking about with Andrew, Fergie & co. a bit weird - I suspect the women were the link.

I saw him live at the Playhouse in 1982. Alan Rough made his Hibs debut against Celtic at ER that afternoon - we lost 3-2 in a very entertaining match (Gary Murray scored our goals). Connolly had been at the match and mentioned it in his routine.

Funny how clearly you remember some things almost 40 years down the line.That would be around the time Viz ripped him a few times about his royal toadying. I mind one being done like an oor Wullie cartoon with him sitting on a bucket and heading off to tell a wee joke about a jobby to the queen.

Can only find this picture on net though. 25181

matty_f
07-10-2021, 09:16 PM
That would be around the time Viz ripped him a few times about his royal toadying. I mind one being done like an oor Wullie cartoon with him sitting on a bucket and heading off to tell a wee joke about a jobby to the queen.

Can only find this picture on net though. 25181

The Viz is class.

degenerated
07-10-2021, 09:23 PM
The Viz is class.On my desk in the office I still have a copy of Rogers Profanisaurus "the magna farta" with over 10,000 rude words and phrases. Call me a child if you will :greengrin

matty_f
07-10-2021, 09:27 PM
On my desk in the office I still have a copy of Rogers Profanisaurus "the magna farta" with over 10,000 rude words and phrases. Call me a child if you will :greengrin

Amazing. :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-10-2021, 10:20 PM
I've got a huge pile of Viz comics in the house, I don't want to be let down by looking at them again. Got that profanasaurus too.