PDA

View Full Version : VAR coming to Scottish Football

Fergus52
01-10-2021, 01:49 PM
https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scottish-football-bodies-to-hold-premiership-summit-on-introduction-of-var-with-world-cup-final-referee-howard-webb/?rid=13929

Can't wait to see how we manage to **** this up even worse than it has already been implemented in other leagues.

Renfrew_Hibby
01-10-2021, 01:55 PM
https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scottish-football-bodies-to-hold-premiership-summit-on-introduction-of-var-with-world-cup-final-referee-howard-webb/?rid=13929

Can't wait to see how we manage to **** this up even worse than it has already been implemented in other leagues.

Don't know why we don't already have goal line technology? It's been around a while now, is completely neutral and you causes zero debate but gives us certainty.
Would be buttons to install compared to VAR. I would start with that before we even consider VAR.

Diclonius
01-10-2021, 01:56 PM
If it stops the blatant bias in favour of the OF then I'm all for it.

It won't, though. So I'm not.

Hibee Mac
01-10-2021, 02:01 PM
Get VAR to ****.

Scottie
01-10-2021, 02:08 PM

Nae chance of it even getting into ibrox. Incoming statement from the Huns as we speak no doubt.

Fergus52
01-10-2021, 02:14 PM

Aye, will be the same refs in the VAR booth so nothing will change and games will be much slower and boring to watch in the stadium.

HoboHarry
01-10-2021, 02:15 PM

It's by no means perfect but it's being managed a lot better in England this season than it was last year. I couldn't work out what they were seeing last year a lot of the time.....

Coco Bryce
01-10-2021, 02:18 PM
Spoils the fluency of the game.

Kick it right out!!

Smartie
01-10-2021, 02:25 PM
I thought they'd got it pretty much right by the Euros and the games there were all the better for it.

If we could get something more like that than the disaster that was rolled out in England initially then I'd be all for it.

I know it shouldn't, but I can't. help but feel it will be used to favour the OF more than ever.

Bristolhibby
01-10-2021, 02:35 PM
I just think double handball in the box in the playoff v Falkirk.
Sparkys goal v Hearts
Rangers goalie off his line in the 2004 LC Semi
Laursens handball and sending off v the Huns one Boxing Day as he was on the ground.

It’s a yes for me.

J

Bangkok Hibby
01-10-2021, 02:47 PM
Massive yes from me. Anything that exposes our referees incompetence and bias, and the cheating which takes advantage of said incompetence is only a good thing.

JohnM1875
01-10-2021, 02:49 PM
About time. If you look at some of the leagues already using VAR it's embarrassing we haven't introduced it yet. Egyptian, Morrocan and Kosovo top leagues spring to mind.

It'll need to be implemented correctly, but after watching the top five or so leagues they do have a much better handle on it now.

JimBHibees
01-10-2021, 03:13 PM
Great idea however the implementation of it will be the same scared little lambs petrified to give decisions against the OF. All for it to be honest as we all know the goal Rangers conceded yesterday would not have been given in Scotland even though clearly over the line.

Since90+2
01-10-2021, 03:31 PM
The standard of refereeing is woeful, miles lower than in England which will likely mean it's used more here to pickup on all the mistakes made.

Games will not be finishing at 4.50pm that's for sure.

neil7908
01-10-2021, 03:33 PM
People have been far too quick to judge VAR. The Euros showed it works when used properly.

It's a new technology and needs time to bed in. After howls of rage from down south after it was introduced I see very little moaning about it now. People don't like change.

Personally allowed for it.

Bostonhibby
01-10-2021, 03:35 PM

Can't wait to see how we manage to **** this up even worse than it has already been implemented in other leagues.Heard they're going to get Rod Stewart to do all the reviews as the blazers we delighted with his highly successful cup draws.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
01-10-2021, 03:38 PM
So we'll get 7 cheating incompetent officials per game now rather than 4?

I suppose getting wrong with 40 replays and multiple angles will make it harder to excuse said incompetence and sweep it under the carpet.

cabbageandribs1875
01-10-2021, 03:40 PM
aye

i think

WhileTheChief..
01-10-2021, 03:54 PM
The Old Firm should be in favour for this, they're the ones that shout the loudest about anything that goes against them.

For all the complaints from fans about VAR down south, you rarely hear managers question the decisions given.

I think the league are right to at least consider it.

Since452
01-10-2021, 03:59 PM
Get VAR in the bin.

plhibs
01-10-2021, 04:01 PM
Just look at the names reported to be 1st on the VAR panel:rolleyes:

Sioux
01-10-2021, 04:02 PM
About time. If you look at some of the leagues already using VAR it's embarrassing we haven't introduced it yet. Egyptian, Morrocan and Kosovo top leagues spring to mind.

It'll need to be implemented correctly, but after watching the top five or so leagues they do have a much better handle on it now.

Taken from Neil Doncaster's statement?

"Neil Doncaster, chief executive of the SPFL, said: “Given the costs involved and the potential effects on the natural flow of the game, it was always a sensible decision to monitor the introduction of VAR in other competitions before considering implementation in the cinch Premiership.

“Now that there has been a meaningful bedding-in period in several leagues, now is a good time to look again at the benefits of the technology. We are keen to hear the views of the clubs, officials and fans and look forward to discussions over the next few months.”

CmoantheHibs
01-10-2021, 04:16 PM
I would prefer there to be no var but it will almost certainly come in. I just hope they learn the lessons from other leagues and competitions and make it a successful transition. It should help attacking teams more often than the teams that tend to sit in. I would imagine that in the not too distant future it will be a requirement for entering into European competitions.

ABZHFC
01-10-2021, 04:20 PM
Will absolutely kill the game up here stone dead, what a shame

Since452
01-10-2021, 04:21 PM
One of the things I really like about Scottish football is that there is no VAR. Real shame.

CMurdoch
01-10-2021, 04:33 PM

"Neil Doncaster, chief executive of the SPFL, said: “Given the costs involved and the potential effects on the natural flow of the game, it was always a sensible decision to monitor the introduction of VAR in other competitions before considering implementation in the cinch Premiership.

“Now that there has been a meaningful bedding-in period in several leagues, now is a good time to look again at the benefits of the technology. We are keen to hear the views of the clubs, officials and fans and look forward to discussions over the next few months.”

I think it is now ripe and ready to be taken on now by our top league.
The rich leagues got it 1st when the cost was highest. That cost will be falling now.
It worked well at the Euro's and is now working well in the EPL after loads of issues last season.

Football supporters have held referees to ridiculous standards since being able to watch controversial incidents from every angle and in slow motion. VAR will afford referees in Scotland that same service and allow them to correctly call the most significant game decisions. Thumbs up from me.

Ian Maxwell from the SFA agrees, he said “VAR is here to stay and in a short period its implementation has advanced significantly, while its set-up and maintenance costs have reduced. We are now at the point where we need to discuss and ideally agree on its introduction into Scottish football"

Numptie
01-10-2021, 04:42 PM
My only problem with VAR is the offside decisions. They put a line on a frame that they chose, the frame before the player might be onside, the frame after offside, so the person that chooses when the ball was kicked decides offside.

JohnM1875
01-10-2021, 04:57 PM

True. Let's hope we get it installed and working soon.

Wonder if the SFA/SPFL will need to fund screens to be added in the stadiums that don't have them so everyone can see the decision etc.

JohnMcM
01-10-2021, 04:58 PM
It’s a yes from me for reasons important to the future of the game here because it has the potential to either (a) expose the incompetence of Scottish officials, or (b) expose the “favouritism” shown in favour of the Glasgow 2 by officials and the MSM, or (c) change both (a) & (b) for the better.

hibbysam
01-10-2021, 05:03 PM
At a time when clubs are trying to improve supporter experience this will kill it completely. All well and fine saying that the 1 decision per game that it will affect will have a greater chance of being correct now but think of all the delays to decide whether to review something, the celebrations of ‘non goals’ long after the ball hits the net, and this utter nonsense rule of not putting flags up until the attack is over. Brutal.

Eyrie
01-10-2021, 05:06 PM
It's a good idea if implemented properly ie the call on the field stands unless there is clear and obvious evidence to the contrary, so any VAR review has to be time limited. If the error can't be spotted inside 30 seconds, it wasn't clear and obvious.

KeithTheHibby
01-10-2021, 05:11 PM

How’s that drama Queen?

Peevemor
01-10-2021, 05:13 PM
Will absolutely kill the game up here stone dead, what a shameCare to expand on that before we take to the streets?

ABZHFC
01-10-2021, 05:15 PM
Care to expand on that before we take to the streets?

You don't go to the games so you wouldn't get it

1875Sean
01-10-2021, 05:20 PM
My only problem with VAR is the offside decisions. They put a line on a frame that they chose, the frame before the player might be onside, the frame after offside, so the person that chooses when the ball was kicked decides offside.

Agree but to be fair it’s depending on the league how you interrupt it, last season in England was a joke but you never seen anyone’s armpit that was offside at your euros and this season in England they have given more leeway so fingers crossed Scotland learns from it

Peevemor
01-10-2021, 05:24 PM
You don't go to the games so you wouldn't get itHow do you know whether and where I go to games?

Carheenlea
01-10-2021, 06:06 PM
People have been far too quick to judge VAR. The Euros showed it works when used properly.

It's a new technology and needs time to bed in. After howls of rage from down south after it was introduced I see very little moaning about it now. People don't like change.

Personally allowed for it.

Fans of top flight clubs down south have just got used to a more sterile footballing experience. Games as dull as dishwater down there.

We couldn’t even agree amongst ourselves as to whether last weekends penalty award against St Johnstone was the correct one or not. The referee’s in Scotland will continue to make erroneous and biased calls with VAR.

MWHIBBIES
01-10-2021, 06:20 PM

Aye, a video replay system will kill over 150 years of football :faf: behave.

It's a great system, the problem is our referees are too stupid to use it.

hibbysam
01-10-2021, 06:22 PM
Agree but to be fair it’s depending on the league how you interrupt it, last season in England was a joke but you never seen anyone’s armpit that was offside at your euros and this season in England they have given more leeway so fingers crossed Scotland learns from it

The offside rule and implementation hasn’t changed - there is no more leeway for it down south. The leeway is around challenges.

Sioux
01-10-2021, 06:25 PM
Fans of top flight clubs down south have just got used to a more sterile footballing experience. Games as dull as dishwater down there.

We couldn’t even agree amongst ourselves as to whether last weekends penalty award against St Johnstone was the correct one or not. The referee’s in Scotland will continue to make erroneous and biased calls with VAR.

90% of the time the VAR decision is not made by a ref, unless you're suggesting that the VAR official is also 'in on the act'

Green Reaper
01-10-2021, 06:25 PM
Just look at the names reported to be 1st on the VAR panel:rolleyes:

Collum , Madden and Beaton mentioned, aye that will really help with dodgy decisions!

BILLYHIBS
01-10-2021, 06:41 PM
Would be happy with goal line technology

I wonder how many penalties we would have got against St Johnstone last Sunday with VAR?

mim
01-10-2021, 06:46 PM
Would be happy with goal line technology

I wonder how many penalties we would have got against St Johnstone last Sunday with VAR?

1. The one when Booth tripped Allan

hibsbollah
01-10-2021, 06:50 PM
VAR is ok for tv viewers of Sky or champions league. But it destroys the experience as a fan in the stadium, with delays in decisions, mad goal celebrations cut short, the whole experience is reduced to a situation like waiting for news on a train delay announcement over the tannoy with thousands of angry people. Except you never hear what’s being said and have to rely on how angry each set of players look to realise what’s happened.

I don’t think a lot of folk up here who attend games week in week out realise the implications.

Danderhall Hibs
01-10-2021, 07:25 PM

Kick it right out!!

The balls in play for less than 60 minutes a game - how fluent actually is it?

And how many minutes less has it been since VAR came in?

lord bunberry
01-10-2021, 07:47 PM
Dreadful decision imo, I can’t stand var. We should be marketing our league as something that’s not the same as the premiership. Constantly copying England isn’t the answer, copying their names for our leagues was a total embarrassment that should be reversed immediately. I’m really enjoying the fact that we don’t have var in our league.

JohnM1875
01-10-2021, 07:51 PM
Dreadful decision imo, I can’t stand var. We should be marketing our league as something that’s not the same as the premiership. Constantly copying England isn’t the answer, copying their names for our leagues was a total embarrassment that should be reversed immediately. I’m really enjoying the fact that we don’t have var in our league.

It's not just England that has VAR though, most leagues in Europe have it.

If it results in the right decisions being made then it's something we should definitely be implementing in my opinion.

bingo70
01-10-2021, 07:54 PM

Same.

My big fear is not being able to celebrate a goal in the same way I do now.

For me that does kill the game from a fan perspective. I know a poster got slated for being dramatic earlier in the thread for saying that but I get it.

I’ve been dreading VAR coming in, I just hope it’s not as bad as I’m fearing.

bingo70
01-10-2021, 07:56 PM

If it results in the right decisions being made then it's something we should definitely be implementing in my opinion.

Win some lose some has served football just fine for well over 100 years, if some decisions are wrong then so what? It’s not that big a deal IMO.

Goal line technology is easily implemented with use of technology, that’s enough for me.

lord bunberry
01-10-2021, 07:58 PM

We share a border with England and we have this chance to move in a different direction. We can’t compete with them in quality of football, but we can offer different experience. I would dispute that var always comes to the right decision and I strongly suspect that our tight nit club of referees that all come from the same area and association will rarely overturn a decision made by one of their own. It wouldn’t go down well at the lodge.

JohnM1875
01-10-2021, 07:59 PM
Win some lose some has served football just fine for well over 100 years, if some decisions are wrong then so what? It’s not that big a deal IMO.

Goal line technology is easily implemented with use of technology, that’s enough for me.

Win some lose some without goal line technology as well though surely?

If it's implemented properly, and I do get that might be a big if, then it should even the playing field for all of these dodgy decisions that go for the OF.

lord bunberry
01-10-2021, 08:00 PM
Same.

My big fear is not being able to celebrate a goal in the same way I do now.

For me that does kill the game from a fan perspective. I know a poster got slated for being dramatic earlier in the thread for saying that but I get it.

I’ve been dreading VAR coming in, I just hope it’s not as bad as I’m fearing.
That’s bang on. I watched a game where a player scored and as the other players came over to celebrate with him he stopped them all to wait for the var decision. It’s not for me.

Stonewall
01-10-2021, 08:08 PM
VAR is ok for tv viewers of Sky or champions league. But it destroys the experience as a fan in the stadium, with delays in decisions, mad goal celebrations cut short, the whole experience is reduced to a situation like waiting for news on a train delay announcement over the tannoy with thousands of angry people. Except you never hear what’s being said and have to rely on how angry each set of players look to realise what’s happened.

I don’t think a lot of folk up here who attend games week in week out realise the implications.

100% agree. Better off without it.

Glory Lurker
01-10-2021, 08:10 PM
Nah. Not for me. If I think there might be a doubt over a goal we've scored, in a fraction of a second I can check the ref and the lino and enjoy my celebration, or not. Really not into the idea that ref pointing to centre and lino running back up the pitch doesn't necessarily mean anything, because you can't be sure before game kicks off again.

Alfred E Newman
01-10-2021, 08:19 PM
That’s bang on. I watched a game where a player scored and as the other players came over to celebrate with him he stopped them all to wait for the var decision. It’s not for me.

Not for me either.
Some of the most entertaining games I’ve been at are games where the ref and his hapless officials have lost the plot.

lord bunberry
01-10-2021, 08:25 PM
Not for me either.
Some of the most entertaining games I’ve been at are games where the ref and his hapless officials have lost the plot.
:agree: As annoying as it is at the time when you’re on the end of a bad decision, it’s still better than var. Maybe fans who watch their football on tv will disagree, but I can’t imagine anything worse than hibs scoring a goal and thinking whether I should celebrate or wait for the var.

hibbysam
01-10-2021, 08:30 PM

David Marshall in the final of the play off is the obvious one.

heretoday
01-10-2021, 08:32 PM
It's coming so we may as well get used to it. The refs seem to welcome it.

MWHIBBIES
01-10-2021, 08:33 PM
We share a border with England and we have this chance to move in a different direction. We can’t compete with them in quality of football, but we can offer different experience. I would dispute that var always comes to the right decision and I strongly suspect that our tight nit club of referees that all come from the same area and association will rarely overturn a decision made by one of their own. It wouldn’t go down well at the lodge. Var doesn't make any decisions. The referees do. Its 100% their fault if they cant get it right even with a video.

hibbysam
01-10-2021, 08:35 PM
Var doesn't make any decisions. The referees do. Its 100% their fault if they cant get it right even with a video.

That’s not true though. If VAR official doesn’t tell them to look at something then the official has no way of overturning his potentially wrong decision.

CapitalGreen
01-10-2021, 08:38 PM
That’s not true though. If VAR official doesn’t tell them to look at something then the official has no way of overturning his potentially wrong decision.

VAR officials are referees.

Video Assistant Referee

Kato
01-10-2021, 08:39 PM

I don’t think a lot of folk up here who attend games week in week out realise the implications.Which games have you attended with VAR? A mate down south says everyone's used to the delay now, this season it's even better.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

hibbysam
01-10-2021, 08:41 PM
VAR officials are referees.

Video Assistant Referee

Correct, So VAR does make decisions then. They decide when to and when not to refer something to the onfield official.

CapitalGreen
01-10-2021, 08:43 PM
Correct, So VAR does make decisions then. They decide when to and when not to refer something to the onfield official.

Yup, folk thinking VAR will stop the likes of Beaton, Collum and Madden making bad decisions when it will be the likes of Beaton, Collum and Madden in the VAR booth advising the on field referee.

hibbysam
01-10-2021, 08:43 PM
Out of all the things this country could spend millions of pounds on to improve our game, VAR is probably in the bottom 25% of that list.

Glory Lurker
01-10-2021, 08:49 PM
What grade do the studio refs need to be? Have we got enough to run a full, or near-full, prem and champ card on a Saturday?

bod
01-10-2021, 08:51 PM
Yup, folk thinking VAR will stop the likes of Beaton, Collum and Madden making bad decisions when it will be the likes of Beaton, Collum and Madden in the VAR booth advising the on field referee.

:agree:

Devonhibs
01-10-2021, 08:53 PM
Cost to the clubs will likely mean its a non starter

Lancs Harp
01-10-2021, 08:53 PM
What grade do the studio refs need to be? Have we got enough to run a full, or near-full, prem and champ card on a Saturday?

Just need to be or have been a season ticket holder at Ibrox or Parkhead or have extremely bad eyesight.

CapitalGreen
01-10-2021, 09:03 PM
Which games have you attended with VAR? A mate down south says everyone's used to the delay now, this season it's even better.

With the exception of Anfield and Old Trafford, all stadiums in the EPL have large screens which can display VAR decision replays. Only 3 stadiums in the SPFL have screens with the capability of showing replays.

I attended an Everton game recently and it was an absolute shambles when the VAR review were ongoing. You couldn’t see the screen from where we were sitting so folk around us were having to text their mates who were watching at home to find out what was being reviewed each time.

MWHIBBIES
01-10-2021, 09:16 PM
That’s not true though. If VAR official doesn’t tell them to look at something then the official has no way of overturning his potentially wrong decision. The VAR official makes that decision. Any problems with VAR are 100% human error. And with such poor refs in could be bad here. But ultimately, it is going to give a goal 5 yards over the line in the derby (if we use it for that) or a stop us losing a goal thats 5 yards offside, so I'm all for it.

WhileTheChief..
01-10-2021, 09:21 PM
I’d never thought about it being different when you’re actually at the game. My only experience of it is watching on the tv.

A lot of good points being made about the difference between the two.

hibbysam
01-10-2021, 09:49 PM
The VAR official makes that decision. Any problems with VAR are 100% human error. And with such poor refs in could be bad here. But ultimately, it is going to give a goal 5 yards over the line in the derby (if we use it for that) or a stop us losing a goal thats 5 yards offside, so I'm all for it.

VAR is the human though. Nobody is saying otherwise as far as I can see? Your saying VAR doesn’t make decisions when thats exactly what VAR does. It picks and chooses when to initiate a challenge to the referee. It’s inconsistent and results in the emotion being taken out of huge moments. Imagine Stokes’ equaliser waiting to see if they’ll disallow it for a push at the front post etc.

Glory Lurker
01-10-2021, 10:06 PM
I don't watch much non-Hibs league football, so my experience of VAR is, er, limited to its application in the elite international competitions.

2018 - very soft penalty in the World Cup Final
2019 - Scotland Women effectively put out due to its non-application against Japan
2021 - goals disallowed for real-time imperceptible offsides.

I know the last one is applying the rules, but generations have fallen in love with the game accepting that five or six centimetres here or there can't be reckoned for. Photo finishes are for races, when it decides the whole thing. Football's better than that.

wookie70
01-10-2021, 10:09 PM
If there is no bias in the decisions, I'm not convinced, the VAR and the ref should get it right after a quick look. If they are still getting it wrong then we can really start to look at bias as the only seen it once in real time excuse has gone. I also think it may break the west coast mafia as more refs will be needed so hopefully some more regions will be represented. A few more ladies could also be promoted although if the one that refereed the Derby on Wednesday is anything to go by they seem to be pretty clueless about fitba too.

Let's face it there is little chance it could make refereeing at our games worse and we don't have the hit of the early adopters so hopefully we can get improved decisions with not too much time taken away from the flow of the game

CapitalGreen
01-10-2021, 10:24 PM
We’re currently relying on rich benefactors to help fund youth football in this country, maybe we should be directing money towards that rather than buying expensive technology for referees.

Paul1642
01-10-2021, 10:46 PM
I don’t want it. I’d rather an honest mistake than a disallowed goal because a striker was 1/2 inch offside. It has not improved the or premiership IMO, nor has it completely removed referee errors.

Hibee Mac
01-10-2021, 10:48 PM

I don’t think a lot of folk up here who attend games week in week out realise the implications.This 100%.

I can't help but feel a lot of people would change their opinion on it if they had been to a game where it's implemented.

It's a step too far for my liking and one that has the potential to sterilise the game.

neil7908
01-10-2021, 11:02 PM
This 100%.

I can't help but feel a lot of people would change their opinion on it if they had been to a game where it's implemented.

It's a step too far for my liking and one that has the potential to sterilise the game.

I've been to 3 games I think using VAR. I say I think as I don't remember realising at 2 out of 3 that it was being used. Appreciate that's not a huge sample but after all the initial wailing and gnashing of teeth when it was first introduced I've heard very little complaint wise this season.

It's an emerging technology that needs time to bed in. The Euros showed it can work.

lord bunberry
01-10-2021, 11:09 PM
We’re currently relying on rich benefactors to help fund youth football in this country, maybe we should be directing money towards that rather than buying expensive technology for referees.
:top marksWe have much more important things to be spending our limited resources on. Var is a tool designed to make the game more acceptable to tv viewers. I guarantee everyone at the game will hate it if it comes in here.

1875Sean
01-10-2021, 11:20 PM
The offside rule and implementation hasn’t changed - there is no more leeway for it down south. The leeway is around challenges.

It has changed, the lines they use are thicker, there already has been a lot of chat of goals that last season mate have not been given

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league-var-changes-new-rules-explained-thicker-lines-offside-bookings-diving-1148411

Stonewall
02-10-2021, 03:59 AM
It has changed, the lines they use are thicker, there already has been a lot of chat of goals that last season mate have not been given

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league-var-changes-new-rules-explained-thicker-lines-offside-bookings-diving-1148411

I’d rather live with the bad decisions to be honest, but my main gripe is the way VAR has been used in football. It should only be used when there has been a clear and blatant error. If you look at the way Rugby uses it, they go with the refs on field decision unless there is clear evidence to overturn it and Cricket has the Umpire’s call rule. Both are stop start games so VAR doesn’t feel so disruptive.

it was never intended to decide whether someone is a ba’ hair offside for example and to me takes the spontaneity out of celebrations and breaks the game up. If we’re going to get it I’d say that if you have to draw a line to decide an offside then it’s on.

Goal line technology is a matter of fact but aside from the fact we seem to have been on the wrong side of a few shockers, how often is it actually used for what is an expensive bit of technology.

hibbysam
02-10-2021, 07:50 AM

But if someone’s upper arm was offside it’ll still be offside now - that’s the rule. Thick or thin line it’s still a matter of millimetres and drawing lines and waiting a while for it all to be done before celebrating goals.

Silky
02-10-2021, 08:07 AM
But if someone’s upper arm was offside it’ll still be offside now - that’s the rule. Thick or thin line it’s still a matter of millimetres and drawing lines and waiting a while for it all to be done before celebrating goals.

That's where it's not working imo. You can't score with your arm, so how can "it" be offside?

Bangkok Hibby
02-10-2021, 08:09 AM
That's where it's not working imo. You can't score with your arm, so how can "it" be offside?

Better if they changed the offside rule to players feet only? Would make much more sense and smooth the process.

Dan Sarf
02-10-2021, 08:26 AM
Better if they changed the offside rule to players feet only? Would make much more sense and smooth the process.

What a good idea.

hibbysam
02-10-2021, 08:35 AM

You can score with the top of your arm.

hibbyfraelibby
02-10-2021, 08:41 AM
The balls in play for less than 60 minutes a game - how fluent actually is it?

And how many minutes less has it been since VAR came in?

None...the VAR review time is added so makes no difference

Since90+2
02-10-2021, 08:48 AM
I’d rather live with the bad decisions to be honest, but my main gripe is the way VAR has been used in football. It should only be used when there has been a clear and blatant error. If you look at the way Rugby uses it, they go with the refs on field decision unless there is clear evidence to overturn it and Cricket has the Umpire’s call rule. Both are stop start games so VAR doesn’t feel so disruptive.

it was never intended to decide whether someone is a ba’ hair offside for example and to me takes the spontaneity out of celebrations and breaks the game up. If we’re going to get it I’d say that if you have to draw a line to decide an offside then it’s on.

Goal line technology is a matter of fact but aside from the fact we seem to have been on the wrong side of a few shockers, how often is it actually used for what is an expensive bit of technology.

I think the issue is what is clear and blatant to one person might not be for another.

Ultimately it's just another referee looking at the incident, albeit multiple times and in slow motion.

where'stheslope
02-10-2021, 09:22 AM
Rangers have had the "all seeing eye" for years and it seemed to miss anything that happened against them???
Can't see VAR changing anything against them either!!!!

blackpoolhibs
02-10-2021, 09:27 AM
I dont want it, it has ruined spontaneous goal celebrations, my first reaction now when a goal is scored is to see if there is a VAR.

It has taken a huge bit of my enjoyment away from football.

It will come though, and hopefully even the most bent refs we have in Scotland wont still disallow some of the awful decisions we've seen at Hibs.

Surely to god with the whole country watching they still wont be able to stick to their obviously wrong decisions .

Keith_M
02-10-2021, 10:13 AM
Like a lot of people, I'm in two minds about this.

If it reduces the number of unawarded goals and penalties, then great.

Need to see how it works in practice, though.

O'Rourke3
02-10-2021, 11:53 AM
There were 3 or 4 big decisions turned right around correctly last week in the Premiership. If it reduces offside goals that a lino should see, eg Huns v Well, reduces the penalties one team seem to have more than every other team combined. Fine. It may have cleared up the 3rd goal against St Mirren wasnt touched by Boyle. Yes, we'll lose out occasionally but there's a couple of teams out there that should lose out a lot. Imagine the celebration after VAR changes the Griffiths or Foster disallowed goals?
VAR in season two works well dan saff because of the high number of cameras around the pitch. It'll never work properly if it left to AI feeds like Cove. I'll assume the high cost comes with an increase in camera coverage around the key areas of the pitch.
I'd prefer to have it than not.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

hibbydog
02-10-2021, 02:23 PM
Maybe this will be the opposite of the poll tax debacle.

IE introduce it in England a year earlier, everyone is up in arms, go back to the drawing board, change it then make it the same for everyone.

Perhaps we could organise a riot in George square?

Pagan Hibernia
02-10-2021, 02:25 PM
I didn’t want it anywhere near Scotland. Crap system, as many others have said goal celebrations are being strangled at birth because of it. Another step towards an almost completely sanitised sterile game.

Rumble de Thump
02-10-2021, 03:02 PM
Celtic and Sevco would be the big losers in this if it's implemented professionally and without bias. I can't see them voting for it.

Joe6-2
02-10-2021, 03:38 PM

There is no way anything will change, no one does anything about the decisions they get now, so nothing will change

hibsbollah
02-10-2021, 03:57 PM
Which games have you attended with VAR? A mate down south says everyone's used to the delay now, this season it's even better.

Two ligue one games in Marseille and a Europa league tie. In two of the games there were goals chalked off after a delay, I think in one of the games it happened twice and for the third goal, you could hear and see the noise and excitement was lessened because fans were wondering, is this a goal, or isn’t it? There was about 8 minutes in total out of the 90 which felt like you were waiting for a bus.

But even if the system ran 100% smoothly like clockwork, I’d still hate VAR. It takes something away from the goal moment, which is the best thing about going to games.

1875Sean
02-10-2021, 05:23 PM
You can score with the top of your arm.

My point is different football associates interpreted differently, if borderline the advantage was always supposed to be for the attacher

Hibbyradge
02-10-2021, 05:28 PM

Kick it right out!!

Much prefer sheite decisions and accusations of refs cheating. :agree:

Pagan Hibernia
02-10-2021, 05:29 PM
Much prefer sheite decisions and accusations of refs cheating. :agree:

we’ve had a few go our way to be fair

CapitalGreen
02-10-2021, 05:50 PM
Celtic and Sevco would be the big losers in this if it's implemented professionally and without bias. I can't see them voting for it.

It won’t be implemented professionally though, it will be implemented and controlled by the same part-time refs who you accuse of having bias. If they are biased now while reffing in front of thousands of spectators and the TV cameras what’s to stop them being biased when hidden away in a booth on some industrial estate somewhere.

Hibbyradge
02-10-2021, 05:58 PM
It won’t be implemented professionally though, it will be implemented and controlled by the same part-time refs who you accuse of having bias. If they are biased now while reffing in front of thousands of spectators and the TV cameras what’s to stop them being biased when hidden away in a booth on some industrial estate somewhere.

The real obvious mistakes will be rectified.

There may be some scope for bias in marginal incidents, but even still, the pressure to get them right will be far greater than the current situation where a ref can just say "that's how I saw it at the time".

CapitalGreen
02-10-2021, 06:13 PM
The real obvious mistakes will be rectified.

There may be some scope for bias in marginal incidents, but even still, the pressure to get them right will be far greater than the current situation where a ref can just say "that's how I saw it at the time".

That’s how it’s supposed to work but not how it works in reality, the idea of whether something is a clear and obvious error is entirely subjective and the decisions will be in the same hands as they currently are. You say there will be far greater pressure to get incidents right, but pressure from who? The refereeing fraternity will back their own regardless as they have always done and the sports press of this country won’t give a bad decision a second thought unless it negatively impacts one of the old firm.

I didn’t suggest refs were biased by the way - I was responding to another poster who called them biased.

Hibbyradge
02-10-2021, 06:27 PM
That’s how it’s supposed to work but not how it works in reality, the idea of whether something is a clear and obvious error is entirely subjective and the decisions will be in the same hands as they currently are. You say there will be far greater pressure to get incidents right, but pressure from who? The refereeing fraternity will back their own regardless as they have always done and the sports press of this country won’t give a bad decision a second thought unless it negatively impacts one of the old firm.

I didn’t suggest refs were biased by the way - I was responding to another poster who called them biased.

I know you didn't. People even say that they're deliberately corrupt though and I do think VAR would help.

As with everything, the proof will be in the pudding. If clubs decide against, it'll show our league to be out of step with the "major leagues" so I think it will come in

I'll welcome it as I see more plusses than negatives. I'm not going to try to persuade anyone though. I've realised that's a futile pursuit for everyone! 😊

LunasBoots
02-10-2021, 06:48 PM
I don't doubt it will be here in the next couple seasons, as it progresses across most leagues throughout Europe it's only a matter of time.

CapitalGreen
02-10-2021, 07:00 PM
I know you didn't. People even say that they're deliberately corrupt though and I do think VAR would help.

As with everything, the proof will be in the pudding. If clubs decide against, it'll show our league to be out of step with the "major leagues" so I think it will come in

I'll welcome it as I see more plusses than negatives. I'm not going to try to persuade anyone though. I've realised that's a futile pursuit for everyone! 😊

At a cost of £11k+ per match (not including initial infrastructure set up costs) for clubs I reckon we will decide against it because we can’t afford to be in step with the top leagues. That’s the equivalent of weekly wages for 5-8 first team players at our level. We could of course end up with some stripped down, basic version which is a shadow of what is used in the major leagues.

MacBean
03-10-2021, 03:45 PM
Can’t come in soon enough after today

weecounty hibby
03-10-2021, 03:49 PM
Today is an example of why it won't be brought in up here. VAR probably means Pirto stays on, their equaliser is offside and perhaps maybe even one if their players sent off. Won't ever happen unless it benefits the bigot twins

overdrive
03-10-2021, 03:53 PM
Can’t come in soon enough after today

It won’t make a difference. It will be the same corrupt officials operating it.

Smartie
03-10-2021, 03:58 PM
It won’t make a difference. It will be the same corrupt officials operating it.

The thing is though - I think you accept the decision better if it's been properly scrutinised by VAR, even if you don't agree with it.

Today's red card - I've not seen it, but even our own fans appear to be split on it having seen it a few times.

The ref gets one look with an entire stadium on his back. I just can't accept that folk think that is preferable, and I take on board the opinions about breaking up play. Games are better spectacles when the big decisions are correct. There are still some which are a matter of opinion but it is better when there are fewer of those.

Allez Hibs
03-10-2021, 04:12 PM
Need VAR in Scotland ASAP.

blackpoolhibs
03-10-2021, 04:23 PM
I dont want it, it has ruined spontaneous goal celebrations, my first reaction now when a goal is scored is to see if there is a VAR.

It has taken a huge bit of my enjoyment away from football.

It will come though, and hopefully even the most bent refs we have in Scotland wont still disallow some of the awful decisions we've seen at Hibs.

Surely to god with the whole country watching they still wont be able to stick to their obviously wrong decisions .
:faf:

Steven79
03-10-2021, 04:29 PM
What's the point as we will just have a Mason doing the VAR and giving us just as bad or worse decisions.

It's pointless us playing these c###ts.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk