PDA

View Full Version : NHC RIP Jimmy Greaves

Lancs Harp
19-09-2021, 09:07 AM
RIP Greavsie, a top top striker and great pundit after his football career ended. He was aged 81.

BILLYHIBS
19-09-2021, 09:13 AM
Deepest sincerest condolences to family and friends

One of the all time great strikers

Saint and Greavsie gave the whole nation many a laugh on a Saturday morning

RIP

Scottie
19-09-2021, 09:15 AM
Wish id been around to see him bang them in. RIP Mr Greaves :not worth

Tobias Funke
19-09-2021, 09:16 AM
Scored on debut for every team he played for, his goal scoring record was phenomenal.

Saint and Greavsie was part of my childhood, great tv show.

Really sad news.

JimBHibees
19-09-2021, 09:18 AM
What a player he was. Think Bt sport have a very good documentary about Jimmy. RIP Jimmy

lord bunberry
19-09-2021, 09:19 AM
I thought he was already dead. I used to love watching Saint and Greavsie when I was a bairn. Is that them both dead now?

JimBHibees
19-09-2021, 09:23 AM
I thought he was already dead. I used to love watching Saint and Greavsie when I was a bairn. Is that them both dead now?

Saint is still alive I think. Apologies he died earlier this year. Completely passed me by.

Lancs Harp
19-09-2021, 09:25 AM
Saint is still alive I think. Apologies he died earlier this year. Completely passed me by.

Saint died earlier this year.

James70
19-09-2021, 09:25 AM
Ian St John died in March this year.

NORTHERNHIBBY
19-09-2021, 09:26 AM
Passing of another icon. Often think that without Saint and Greavsie, we wouldn't have had Fantasy Football and the more tounge in cheek aspects to footie coverage which arguably has widened its' appeal.

J-C
19-09-2021, 09:28 AM
Fantastic goal scorer and unlucky not to be in the 1966 final team, I think he was top scorer in that world cup IIRC, maybe I'm wrong, someone will tell me if I am. Wicked sense of humour and with Ian St John was the sports programme us old yins were brought up on, sincere condolences to the family.

JimBHibees
19-09-2021, 09:31 AM
Fantastic goal scorer and unlucky not to be in the 1966 final team, I think he was top scorer in that world cup IIRC, maybe I'm wrong, someone will tell me if I am. Wicked sense of humour and with Ian St John was the sports programme us old yins were brought up on, sincere condolences to the family.

Don't think he scored. Played early in the tournament got injured but was fit but not chosen in the final. Hard to argue when the guy preferred scored a hat trick.

Top scorer was Eusebio with 9. Top England scorer Hurst with 4.

AFKA5814_Hibs
19-09-2021, 10:01 AM
Not long after Ian St John as well. Grew up with Saint and Greavsie. Favourite memory from that programme was when Henry Smith dropped the ball, '88 Scottish Cup semi? Jimmy Greavies said, typical Scottish goalie, Ian St John pointed out he was English. 😄

RIP Greavsie.

Magpie
19-09-2021, 10:06 AM
466 goals in 661 appearances
Record six times top scorer in English First Division
England’s fourth highest scorer with 44 goals in 57 caps
Spurs all time top scorer
Most goals in English top division history - 357
Most England hat-tricks - 6
Scored on debut for England, Chelsea, Spurs and Milan
World Cup winner

What a player he was. RIP

The Count
19-09-2021, 10:08 AM
Class finisher.

Lancs Harp
19-09-2021, 10:08 AM
466 goals in 661 appearances
Record six times top scorer in English First Division
England’s fourth highest scorer with 44 goals in 57 caps
Spurs all time top scorer
Most goals in English top division history - 357
Most England hat-tricks - 6
Scored on debut for England, Chelsea, Spurs and Milan
World Cup winner

What a player he was. RIP

I think Spurs and Chelsea are playing each other today. Very poignant

CMurdoch
19-09-2021, 10:15 AM
44 goals in 57 games for England
266 goals in 379 games for Spurs
Also played for Chelsea, AC Milan & West Ham

Always came across as a fun and good human being.
Consistently referred to Scotland as Jockoland on the Saint & Greavsie Show but remarkably I don't remember anyone taking offence although it was long long before the Internet and social media.

Roxyhibee
19-09-2021, 10:25 AM
What an incredible striker and personality. Sure I read a bio on him a good few years back where he said his biggest thrill in life was taking part on some round the world rally race.

19-09-2021, 10:34 AM
Rest in peace Greavsie.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58613988

Irish_Steve
19-09-2021, 10:35 AM
Another one too young to really appreciate him but just loved the Saint and Greavsie. I think Jimmy just wanted me make Ian St John laugh so much that the Saint couldn't actually say anything. Did it go out live?

FilipinoHibs
19-09-2021, 10:41 AM
Jimmy Greaves was part of my football childhood as a player. Loved his self depreciating humour. Had an amazing record of scoring on his debuts. Remember a volley for West Ham in the mud at Maine Road. RIP.

https://youtu.be/cB8Csr1W29I

CMurdoch
19-09-2021, 10:42 AM
Another one too young to really appreciate him but just loved the Saint and Greavsie. I think Jimmy just wanted me make Ian St John laugh so much that the Saint couldn't actually say anything. Did it go out live?

It did.
It was the ITV answer to the starchier Football Focus on BBC.
Loved both as a kid in pre football saturation days.

Irish_Steve
19-09-2021, 10:44 AM
It did.
It was the ITV answer to the starchier Football Focus on BBC.
Loved both as a kid in pre football saturation days.

Yeah, I seem to remember Ian trying to present with tears in his eyes as Jimmy egged him on - wonderful stuff

CMurdoch
19-09-2021, 10:49 AM
Yeah, I seem to remember Ian trying to present with tears in his eyes as Jimmy egged him on - wonderful stuff

A much loved man.
As folk have said the self deprecating humour meant he could get away with anything.

heretoday
19-09-2021, 10:58 AM
I saw him score a hattrick for Spurs v Forest in 1964. One was an airborne volley! He wasn't just a poacher as he would often come deep to receive the ball. Very slight and quick. I prefer to remember him like that rather than the comic figure he cut on the tv although the show was a good laugh.

Renfrew_Hibby
19-09-2021, 11:03 AM
Arguably Englands greatest ever goalscorer, miles ahead of Hurst ect.
Rip Jimmy

brog
19-09-2021, 11:15 AM
Loved Jimmy G. As a boy I saw him score all 4 Chelsea goals, IIRC, as Edinburgh Select beat Chelsea 5 4. Joe of course scored for us!! A truly wonderful player, one on one you always expected him to score.

blackpoolhibs
19-09-2021, 11:17 AM
I was friends with his son Danny, we played together in the same team. He'd often invite us to their home where Jimmy was quite a quiet man who kept himself to himself.

Not anything like the man who appeared on tv with Ian St John.

Scorrie
19-09-2021, 11:21 AM
Kid of appropriate that Spurs play Chelsea today

EI255
19-09-2021, 11:23 AM
Grew up with Saint & Greavsey. Two madcap characters. Greaves was a great sort, always liked him, even though Spurs aren't my team.

RIP JG

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

gbhibby
19-09-2021, 11:36 AM
What a player his record speaks for itself. RIP

heretoday
19-09-2021, 12:50 PM
Kid of appropriate that Spurs play Chelsea today

Quite a coincidence.

NAE NOOKIE
19-09-2021, 12:55 PM
Before my time ( just ) but his scoring record speaks for itself. Along with Ian St John practically invented modern TV sports presenting .... RIP Jimmy.

Iggy Pope
19-09-2021, 12:59 PM
It’s been a funny old couple of years for the funny old game. R.I.P. Greavsie.

Lago
19-09-2021, 02:07 PM
He's of a time when England had a large number of very good players, he though was terrific. Sad day.

A Hi-Bee
19-09-2021, 02:29 PM
great, truly great player very sad day.

Wakeyhibee
19-09-2021, 03:50 PM
Too young to see him play, his record is incredible. Best football preview show with the Saint. He was a great pundit and SOH on the show, RIP

LustForLeith
19-09-2021, 04:54 PM
What was the story behind the 66 World Cup final?

Some player not to play

Hibernia&Alba
19-09-2021, 05:10 PM
What a record he had as a goal-scorer; one of the all time greats of British football, without a doubt. He was before my time when he played; my memories are of watching Saint & Greavesie as a kid every Saturday lunchtime. Two great guys, both recently departed. Jimmy battled alcoholism and came back sober from some very dark times.

RIP James

JimBHibees
19-09-2021, 09:39 PM
What was the story behind the 66 World Cup final?

Some player not to play

Played early in the tournament got injured but was fit but not chosen in the final. Hard to argue when the guy preferred scored a hat trick.

HoboHarry
20-09-2021, 12:26 AM
Played early in the tournament got injured but was fit but not chosen in the final. Hard to argue when the guy preferred scored a hat trick.

Including an assist from a Russian national 😁

jacomo
20-09-2021, 05:03 AM
I was friends with his son Danny, we played together in the same team. He'd often invite us to their home where Jimmy was quite a quiet man who kept himself to himself.

Not anything like the man who appeared on tv with Ian St John.

Really? Wow that’s quite an insight on the man, as a punter you’d assume he was a larger than life character all the time.

RIP.

LancsHibs
20-09-2021, 07:37 AM
RIP. Loved Saint & Greavsie as a kid, always light hearted full of laughter. The dynamic between the two made great telly but they would never get away with it today, it would have to be Saint, Greavsie and some random woman you’ve never heard of before!
I wonder if he kept his Hamilton Accies mug?😆 Both will be sadly missed.

Real Emerald
20-09-2021, 08:12 AM
I was lucky enough to see him play in a friendly against Hearts at Tynecastle in 1969. Although I was very young I remember it well. RIP Jimmy Greaves.

He's here!
20-09-2021, 09:13 AM
He played in an era when football kits were by and large brilliant. I've never especially liked Spurs but that pure white shirt and navy shorts combo was aesthetically lovely.

heretoday
20-09-2021, 09:30 AM
RIP. Loved Saint & Greavsie as a kid, always light hearted full of laughter. The dynamic between the two made great telly but they would never get away with it today, it would have to be Saint, Greavsie and some random woman you’ve never heard of before!
I wonder if he kept his Hamilton Accies mug?😆 Both will be sadly missed.
There's a lot of TV stuff from those days that would never see the light of day now.

blackpoolhibs
20-09-2021, 01:42 PM
Really? Wow that’s quite an insight on the man, as a punter you’d assume he was a larger than life character all the time.

RIP.

It was in the 80s, he'd been through the drinking period i think, and retreated a little into his home life.

We would sit in the living room, maybe 3 or 4 of us and Jimmy would say hello then disappear to the kitchen or the garage, he certainly didn't mix much at all when we were there.

There was no signs of the tv personality he was.

jgl07
20-09-2021, 08:39 PM
Jimmy Greaves is one of the best goalscorers I have ever seen play live.

Like many others including Denis Law and Joe Baker, a move to Italy did not work out for Greaves. He returned to the double winning Spurs.

He suffered from alcoholism and became a target for comediians. Notably was the time when a dog invaded the pitch in the world cup in Chile. Greaves caught the dog and picked it up. It promply peed all over Greaves. Fantasy Football League later put out a shot of Greaves at the match with a caption to the effect that Greaves was on his knees and smelling of p*ss and not for the first or last time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkdwEthYvyA

mjhibby
21-09-2021, 12:48 AM
My dad said the best two players he saw in the flesh were Joe Baker and Jimmy greaves. What a player greavsie was. Even on the old black and white pictures you can see his razor sharp reactions and lethal finishing. By all accounts a very funny guy with humility. Had his issues with the bottle,like many of that era but was great entertainment on Saint a day greavsie which I'd always watch before going to er. Rip greavsie. My dad was very hard to impress but was glowing in praise of the finest player England produced in his words.

BILLYHIBS
21-09-2021, 03:36 AM
I remember reading his autobiography and he was part of a bygone age where a footballer’s wages were little more than the average working man’s and he used to take public transport to the ground on match day mingle with the fans and have prematch banter on the bus

I suppose certain players just wouldn’t get away with that nowadays. :greengrin

Legend !