Wood
Doig

JDH
Newell

Boyle
Magennis
Cadden

Nisbet

I think we miss Murphy and Doidge massively. I haven’t been impressed with Nisbet for a while now but we literally don’t have a striker available except Gullan who isn’t proven at this level. Doig isn’t really living up to the transfer fee we demand either. I really want to see Wood get given an opportunity and I would rather see Porteous partner him than Hanlon.

Gmack7
19-09-2021, 06:30 AM
I'd like to try Cadden at RB if Mackay is fit to play

GreenCastle
19-09-2021, 06:38 AM
With Cadden missing months of football to then asking him to play 3 games in 2 weeks maybe quite a lot to ask and risk him getting injured again. No surprise he was poor yesterday - he’s derby performance was impressive considering lack of games.

Murphy - well he’s not played that regularly so hard to fully miss that. The lack of a consistent left winger for several seasons is poor recruitment.

I wish these starting team threads would name out bench also as the options off the bench are just as important to change a game / win a game.

This will really be a tough away game with Hampden at stake. Utd have the derby today and a day less recovery but if they win the derby they will be buzzing for Thursday.

Hiber-nation
19-09-2021, 07:02 AM
Scott Allan to start hopefully.

andrew70
19-09-2021, 07:20 AM
Got to be 352

Macey

Woods
Porteous
Hanlon

Cadden
Doyle-Hayes
Magennis
Doig

Allan

Boyle
Nisbet

Newell hasn’t done anything wrong I’d just like to see Allan given a chance. We must play to our strengths which flies in the eye of replacing Newell but that should be enough to beat Dundee United.

JimBHibees
19-09-2021, 07:23 AM
Got to be 352

Macey

Woods
Porteous
Hanlon

Cadden
Doyle-Hayes
Magennis
Doig

Allan

Boyle
Nisbet

Newell hasn’t done anything wrong I’d just like to see Allan given a chance. We must play to our strengths which flies in the eye of replacing Newell but that should be enough to beat Dundee United.

Agree with the shape however would keep Newell in and start Scott from the bench. United will be tough away game after besting Rangers and St Johnstone recently. Can't see Ncginn being dropped to be honest.

Billy Whizz
19-09-2021, 08:56 AM
Can see Stevenson starting on Thursday

Borderhibbie76
19-09-2021, 10:13 AM

I think Doig has been poor especially defensively of late and might be a good idea to take him out the team for a couple of weeks and nobody better to bring in than Lewis

Ronniekirk
19-09-2021, 11:01 AM

Was surprised he didn’t come on against Mirren just the type of player you need to give his all when defending a lead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Key West
19-09-2021, 11:43 AM
Macey

McGinn
Porteous
Wood

Cadden
Magennis
Doyle-Hayes
Newell
Doig

Boyle
Nisbet

Billy Whizz
19-09-2021, 02:21 PM
Not many tickets left in the upper Fair play stand, and only a couple of hundred in the below
Utd not getting the stand behind the goals at our end, so they might open it up for Hibs supporters

Lago
19-09-2021, 06:53 PM
Agree

number9dream
20-09-2021, 08:33 AM
Macey
McGinn Porto Hanlon Stevenson
Magennis Allan Newell
Boyle Nisbet Gullan

Lendo
20-09-2021, 08:38 AM
Scott Allan to start hopefully.

He has got to start

Radge70
20-09-2021, 08:39 AM
I'd like to see Dąbrowski start to get some game time

Jones28
20-09-2021, 08:52 AM
​Macey
Boyle Porto Woods Hanlon Doig
Newall JDH Maggenis
Nisbet Scott

CMurdoch
20-09-2021, 09:04 AM
Macey

McGinn
Porteous
Wood

Cadden
Magennis
Doyle-Hayes
Newell
Doig

Boyle
Nisbet

This i like.
Gives Wood game time.
Would be good to see him play and see how well we play with him as part of a 3 at the back

Subs from:
Allan
Wight
Gogic
Stevenson
Gullan
McGregor
McGinn
McKay
Scott
Dabrowski

worcesterhibby
20-09-2021, 09:04 AM
Stevenson and Allan to start please.

oneone73
20-09-2021, 09:10 AM
This i like.
Gives Wood game time.
Would be good to see him play and see how well we play with him as part of a 3 at the back

Subs from:
Allan
Wight
Gogic
Stevenson
Gullan
McGregor
McGinn
McKay
Scott
Dabrowski

Our captain doesn't even make your bench?

Hibernian Verse
20-09-2021, 09:16 AM

He's dropped McGinn, not Hanlon.

CMurdoch
20-09-2021, 09:26 AM

Always a starter for me and I would be getting him signed up on another 2 year contract.

Sioux
20-09-2021, 09:49 AM
This i like.
Gives Wood game time.

Subs from:
Allan
Wight
Gogic
Stevenson
Gullan
McGregor
McGinn
McKay
Scott
Dabrowski

A quarter final of a cup and you want a wee experiment, giving someone game time? If JR picks him it will be because he thinks Wood can make a difference. Anything other than that would be stupid. But to favour that decision (Wood) I'd point to Hanlon again failing in his role as centre half. Pathetic attempt at dealing with the cross into the box that led to their goal.

CMurdoch
20-09-2021, 10:04 AM
A quarter final of a cup and you want a wee experiment, giving someone game time? If JR picks him it will be because he thinks Wood can make a difference. Anything other than that would be stupid. But to favour that decision (Wood) I'd point to Hanlon again failing in his role as centre half. Pathetic attempt at dealing with the cross into the box that led to their goal.

I am presuming Wood was signed on loan because he is of sufficient ability to be plugged right into the team.
We have also had issues playing a back 4 this season so probably time to try a 3 utilising the new guy.
P.S. I haven't watched Saturdays goals back yet so will get back to you on the culpable party or parties for goal 2.

Big_Franck
20-09-2021, 10:09 AM
It's a quarter final so we shouldn't be giving people a game for the sake of it. I'd start Allan given how well he did when he came on. Other than that I wouldn't change much.

oneone73
20-09-2021, 10:37 AM
He's dropped McGinn, not Hanlon.

Not in the team he was quoting

Since452
20-09-2021, 10:52 AM
Personally i'd leave Allan on the bench at Tannadice and play him against St Johnstone on Sunday instead. St Johnstone will be their usual stuffy compact self and i'd expect us to dominate possession so having Allan playing would be ideal against them. I think at Tannadice we'll need to be more physical in midfield as they look pretty good in that area. Don't think its the game for Allan to be starting.

Pagan Hibernia
20-09-2021, 10:55 AM
I think Allan has earned a start. 90 minutes on Thursday would aid his fitness a lot, which is one of the probable reasons for his lack of games so far. A fit Scott Allan would then help us unpick the lock that is St Johnstone

CMurdoch
20-09-2021, 10:57 AM
Not in the team he was quoting

Your right.
An oversight.
Hanlon every time for me.

Saint Hibee
20-09-2021, 12:19 PM
If Allan doesn't start, I'm throwing my toys out of the pram.

Smartie
20-09-2021, 01:03 PM
Not sure.

The left attacking position is an issue with our current formation whilst Murphy is out (I'd be playing Gullan but we know Jack Ross won't).

Not sure how you fit in both Magennis and Allan into a functional unit.

Don't know how far away from his best position we should be taking Boyle.

Would like to see Wood play but can't really justify dropping either Porteous, Boyle or Hanlon.

I'd like to see some rotation so we're fresh for the weekend too, without weakening us too much.

Not easy.

wookie70
20-09-2021, 01:16 PM
I'd go with

Macey

Cadden
Wood
Porteous
Hanlon
Doig

Newell
Barrels
Magennis

Boyle
Nisbet

Allan did really well on Saturday when we had the ball but his defending is even worse than it was so I would keep him in reserve in case we can't create chances. Scoring goals without Allan hasn't been much of an issue though but he did show that when we are struggling he can be a useful throw of the dice.

Unseen work
20-09-2021, 01:18 PM
………………Macey………

McGinn…Porteous…Hanlon…Doig

………….JDH…….Newelll…..

Boyle………Magennis…….Allan…..

……………….Nisbet……

Think Allan on the left worked well as he wasn’t marked by several midfielders and had a bit more space. When he comes infield it’s difficult to pick him up and also allows Doig to have a lot of space down the left.

Not too much we can really change unfortunately. I prefer a formation that gets 2 upfront but we don’t really have the players for that at the moment and think all of Magennis, JDH, Newell and Allan will start.

Be interesting to see how long it takes Wood to get his first start as we’re not keeping clean sheets.

Hopefully Scott and Mackay are back soon.

Lago
20-09-2021, 01:27 PM
Having watched the Dun Utd v Dun game yesterday I think Hibs maybe in for some "robust" tackling hopefully they can handle it and go onto win. Quick question, is the game played to finish in the event of a draw at full-time?

bigwheel
20-09-2021, 01:29 PM
Having watched the Dun Utd v Dun game yesterday I think Hibs maybe in for some "robust" tackling hopefully they can handle it and go onto win. Quick question, is the game played to finish in the event of a draw at full-time?

Yes. Extra time then pens

jacomo
20-09-2021, 01:38 PM
………………Macey………

McGinn…Porteous…Hanlon…Doig

………….JDH…….Newelll…..

Boyle………Magennis…….Allan…..

……………….Nisbet……

Think Allan on the left worked well as he wasn’t marked by several midfielders and had a bit more space. When he comes infield it’s difficult to pick him up and also allows Doig to have a lot of space down the left.

Not too much we can really change unfortunately. I prefer a formation that gets 2 upfront but we don’t really have the players for that at the moment and think all of Magennis, JDH, Newell and Allan will start.

Be interesting to see how long it takes Wood to get his first start as we’re not keeping clean sheets.

Hopefully Scott and Mackay are back soon.

Here’s where tactics only take you so far and good players do the rest.

In that formation I’d expect Boyle to more or less stick to his task on the right.

Nisbet, Magennis, Newell and Allan would need to use their smarts, and if Allan cuts in from the left then one of the others go wide, and vice versa.

number9dream
20-09-2021, 01:54 PM
Not sure.

The left attacking position is an issue with our current formation whilst Murphy is out (I'd be playing Gullan but we know Jack Ross won't).

Not sure how you fit in both Magennis and Allan into a functional unit.

Don't know how far away from his best position we should be taking Boyle.

Would like to see Wood play but can't really justify dropping either Porteous, Boyle or Hanlon.

I'd like to see some rotation so we're fresh for the weekend too, without weakening us too much.

Not easy.

Dundee United finished the derby with their third choice right-back, so it could be an area of weakness for them on Thursday... JR needs to come up with a solution. Maybe Nisbet cutting in from the left and Scott through the middle, if he's fit? I'd also like to see Gullan given a chance out there while Murphy and Mackay are unavailable but it seems increasingly unlikely.

Ronniekirk
20-09-2021, 03:12 PM
Stevenson and Allan to start please.

Need to think who comes on fir Allan as unlikely he will finish the game given lack of game time and the fact he is upping his trading to get fitter and presumably more stamina so he can get more game time on the pitch

Ronniekirk
20-09-2021, 03:15 PM
A few United fans I know feel they need a striker and on that basis they aren’t hopeful of progressing

blackpoolhibs
20-09-2021, 03:18 PM
Our strongest team please, win and we are back at Hampden.

Peevemor
20-09-2021, 03:18 PM
A few United fans I know feel they need a striker and on that basis they aren’t hopeful of progressing

Why didn't they sign Griffiths?

jingler1954
20-09-2021, 03:20 PM
Macey
Magennis Allan Newell
Boyle Nisbet Gullan

That was my thought but maybe give Hanlon a rest and put Woos in to partner Ryan.

Peevemor
20-09-2021, 03:21 PM
That was my thought but maybe give Hanlon a rest and put Woos in to partner Ryan.

Give the guy a chance!

jingler1954
20-09-2021, 03:21 PM
Macey
Magennis Allan Newell
Boyle Nisbet Gullan

That was my thought but maybe give Hanlon a rest and put Woods in to partner Ryan.

Ronniekirk
20-09-2021, 03:32 PM

Iether didn’t think he was what they needed or Dundee popped them to it

JimBHibees
20-09-2021, 03:35 PM

A large part of that for United is Callum Butcher who went off yesterday with possibly an injury. The Welsh guy that came on for him who they have loaned from a Man U and has played for Wales 10 times looked decent so that may actually improve them.

GreenCastle
20-09-2021, 03:40 PM
This is going to be a very difficult game especially after Utd won the derby yesterday.

I feel we will have to match their intensity 1st and if Allan plays on the left they will try get at that area and Doig with crosses and 2v1s - think about the equalising goal on Saturday.

Our last 2 games we have made subs at half time as a player starting was ineffective.

Tambo
20-09-2021, 04:49 PM
Would like to see us move away from Nisbet as the lone striker and if Scott is not available this is what I would go for

Macey

Wood
Porto
Hanlon

Cadden
JDH
Allan
Newell
Lewis

Boyle
Nisbet

Wouldn't call it dropping Mcginn or Magennis just give them a rest.

CMurdoch
20-09-2021, 06:21 PM

I have run the slo mo watching each players movements.
Hanlon is marking Main and Main doesn't touch the ball or score so has to be someone elses fault.
Truth is it's not really any one players fault.
Macey is the only one that could have stopped it happening by punching the ball as it was going over Hanlons head. As the cross is struck he steps forward then goes back.
When forward he is 3 yards out and only another 3 from where the ball goes over Hanlon's head so if he keeps coming he clears it with his fist.

CMurdoch
20-09-2021, 06:34 PM
A large part of that for United is Callum Butcher who went off yesterday with possibly an injury. The Welsh guy that came on for him who they have loaned from a Man U and has played for Wales 10 times looked decent so that may actually improve them.Callum Butcher was playing with an injury yesterday and has no doubt made it worse.Don't expect to see him on Thursday.

CMurdoch
20-09-2021, 06:35 PM
Why didn't they sign Griffiths?McPake is pals with Griffiths.Obviously hoping they can help each other.

lord bunberry
20-09-2021, 06:39 PM
I blame Mathie.

easty
20-09-2021, 06:41 PM

The man Hanlon is (correctly) marking and tracking doesn’t score…so how the **** is it his fault? 😂😂

Lago
20-09-2021, 06:42 PM
Yes. Extra time then pens
Thanks 👍

CMurdoch
20-09-2021, 06:44 PM
Dundee United finished the derby with their third choice right-back, so it could be an area of weakness for them on Thursday... JR needs to come up with a solution. Maybe Nisbet cutting in from the left and Scott through the middle, if he's fit? I'd also like to see Gullan given a chance out there while Murphy and Mackay are unavailable but it seems increasingly unlikely.Kerr Smith played very well for a 16 year old.Big strong laddie. Could be fighting it out with Doig and Hickey for Scotland left back in the future.He would definitely win if it goes down to a square go! Perhaps first choice Liam Smith will be fit for Thursday

Key West
20-09-2021, 07:21 PM
A bit criticism of Hanlon being left out in potential line-ups, for the record I've always been a fan ( in a Hibs context ) and I like him a lot as a player, if Wood can't be trusted to play against Dundee United then I'd be questioning why we brought him in, so would Middlesbrough I guess.

Sioux
20-09-2021, 07:30 PM
I have run the slo mo watching each players movements.
Hanlon is marking Main and Main doesn't touch the ball or score so has to be someone elses fault.
Truth is it's not really any one players fault.
Macey is the only one that could have stopped it happening by punching the ball as it was going over Hanlons head. As the cross is struck he steps forward then goes back.
When forward he is 3 yards out and only another 3 from where the ball goes over Hanlon's head so if he keeps coming he clears it with his fist.

Ok coach, thanks.

Brightside
20-09-2021, 07:40 PM
Ok coach, thanks.

He’s right though. There is no blame on the CHs for that goal.

Key West
20-09-2021, 07:43 PM
We have been conceding far too many easy opportunities to the opposition and that it is
why it healthy to try and create a bit of competition regardless of who you think is to blame.

Unseen work
21-09-2021, 03:59 PM
Scott and Mackay back training.

Looking forward to seeing Mackay getting a chance, good young player

Billy Whizz
21-09-2021, 04:13 PM

Think we can make up to 5 subs in the League cup, plus have a larger bench as well, compared to League games

Smartie
21-09-2021, 04:21 PM

We're definitely short in the left attacking position with Murphy out, but I can't say I've really been overly impressed by anything either those players have done for us so far, and Jack Ross seems hell-bent on ignoring Gullan.

Hopefully one of them raises their game and stakes a claim though. There's an opportunity there for someone.

Dashing Bob S
21-09-2021, 04:44 PM
Sorry to be tedious if this has been mentioned somewhere but is it on TV?

JohnM1875
21-09-2021, 04:48 PM

All four quarter finals are shown on Premier Sports

greenflyer
21-09-2021, 04:51 PM

The website 'Live Football On TV' gives you a diary of all games and channels for weeks ahead. This game is on Premier Sports.

Smartie
21-09-2021, 04:53 PM

My premier sports subscription is probably the one that provides with the best value out of all of my tv subscriptions, given I've fallen away from following a lot of the "elite" stuff.

Hibs have been on it plenty over the past 12 months.

I should really cancel a few channels, save myself a packet.

hibbysam
21-09-2021, 05:15 PM
Macey
McGinn/Cadden Porteous Hanlon Stevenson
Newell JDH Magennis
Boyle Nisbet Scott

Stevenson because I’m playing Scott (we don’t really have another left sided attacker). McGinn or Cadden is a toss up but I’d be tempted by Cadden due to us missing the attacking instinct on the left. The rest picks itself.

Dashing Bob S
21-09-2021, 05:22 PM

Thank you John.

Dashing Bob S
21-09-2021, 05:23 PM
The website 'Live Football On TV' gives you a diary of all games and channels for weeks ahead. This game is on Premier Sports.

Much obliged GF

tamig
21-09-2021, 05:26 PM
This i like.
Gives Wood game time.

Subs from:
Allan
Wight
Gogic
Stevenson
Gullan
McGregor
McGinn
McKay
Scott
Dabrowski
Is Hanlon suspended or something?

Edit - just catching up and see it was an oversight 👍

wookie70
21-09-2021, 05:30 PM
Is Hanlon suspended or something?

Edit - just catching up and see it was an oversight 👍 no, just unloved for some bizarre reason. One of the first names on the team sheet I imagine and rightly so

Smartie
21-09-2021, 05:39 PM
no, just unloved for some bizarre reason. One of the first names on the team sheet I imagine and rightly so

An argument could be made based on what we look like with him and without him (plus also the fact he's the club captain) that his name should be the very first one on it.

:tin hat:

Since452
22-09-2021, 06:01 AM
Wouldn't surprise me to see Nathan Wood get a start

Brightside
22-09-2021, 07:18 AM
The Wood situation is an odd one. No point coming here if he isnt going to play. But we’d have to move to a back 3 as Hanlon and Porto have done nothing to be dropped.

green day
22-09-2021, 07:30 AM
The Wood situation is an odd one. No point coming here if he isnt going to play. But we’d have to move to a back 3 as Hanlon and Porto have done nothing to be dropped.

I can see that being an option esp if Cadden gets up to speed.

Again, McGinn done nothing to be dropped, but its probably good to have options - even to change during matches?

flash
22-09-2021, 08:44 AM
With our current limited options we should be going to 352 with Boyle and Nisbet up top.
Cadden and Doig would be wing backs with Newall, Magennis and JDH in the middle.
Maybe give Wood a run tonight beside Porto and Hanlon.

Heisenberg
22-09-2021, 08:50 AM
With our current limited options we should be going to 352 with Boyle and Nisbet up top.
Cadden and Doig would be wing backs with Newall, Magennis and JDH in the middle.

Like the sound of that.

Brightside
22-09-2021, 08:51 AM

Yep I’d like to see that too.

Hibbyradge
22-09-2021, 09:07 AM
I doubt Macey will get a game in the league cup.

Allez Hibs
22-09-2021, 09:16 AM

He should absolutely be playing in this match.

oneone73
22-09-2021, 09:24 AM

Played against Killie, didn't he?

nickwhibs
22-09-2021, 09:47 AM

Agreed

18Craig75
22-09-2021, 09:55 AM
………………Macey

McGinn …Porto Hanlon Stevenson

…….Boyle …..JDH…..Newell

………..…Allan … Magennis

………………Nisbet

Bit far removed from what we’d normally play, and I don’t think JR would take the risk. But I was thinking of ways to get Allan in the team whilst keeping our key players in their best position.

Boyle is far better running from a deeper position than up front for me, although he’s have licence to get forward, Magennis would be tasked with dropping back into the midfield 3.

JohnMcM
22-09-2021, 10:53 AM
This is how I see it. They are not free-scoring at the moment and their defence are not conceding very much with the added bonus of a very good goalie, (3 goals for and 4 against so far).

We’re playing good football at times but not cashing in on too many half chances. Their defence needs to be unlocked with clear cut chances created. Scott Allan is the best placed player we have for that to happen. For me he has to play in this game. I don’t know how that can be made to happen formation wise, that’s Jack’s job.:agree:

tamig
22-09-2021, 05:05 PM
We're definitely short in the left attacking position with Murphy out, but I can't say I've really been overly impressed by anything either those players have done for us so far, and Jack Ross seems hell-bent on ignoring Gullan.

Hopefully one of them raises their game and stakes a claim though. There's an opportunity there for someone.

All about opinions I guess. I was really impressed with Scott on his debut at Dundee. Thrown right in as the loan striker and thought he did a very good job. Much more to come from him.

And MacKay has got himself into some very good positions in some of the games he's played. Should have scored in the Rijeka game. I'm sure he'll grow in confidence with more minutes and be a very useful player for us.

Hibby Kay-Yay
23-09-2021, 09:53 AM
………………………………………….Macey……………………………………….

………………………Porto………….Hanlon…………Wood………………….

Cadden………………………………JDH………………………………….Doig

…………………Magennis………….…………..…Newell…………………

………………….……….Boyle……………….Nisbet………………………….

green day
23-09-2021, 10:04 AM
………………………………………….Macey……………………………………….

………………………Porto………….Hanlon…………Wood………………….

Cadden………………………………JDH………………………………….Doig

…………………Magennis………….…………..…Newell…………………

………………….……….Boyle……………….Nisbet………………………….

If the Wood guy is good this is exactly the formation I would like - I think Doig has been found out a bit defensively and is much better going forward.

Nisbet needs a partner up front - prefer Doidge, but Boyle is a great alternative.

Feels a wee bit unfair on McGinn, but if it gives us an edge, I would be all for it.

Borderhibbie76
23-09-2021, 10:20 AM

Apart from fact Porto let Brophy walse infield for 1st goal on Sat...if Hanlon had done that he'd be getting dogs abuse on here

Nicho87
23-09-2021, 10:45 AM
Macey

Wood Porto hanlon

Cadden jdh newell Stevenson

Allan
Nisbet Boyle

flash
23-09-2021, 12:41 PM
Apart from fact Porto let Brophy walse infield for 1st goal on Sat...if Hanlon had done that he'd be getting dogs abuse on here

What has that got to do with my post?