PDA

View Full Version : Joint Top

Glory Lurker
18-09-2021, 08:48 PM
Another week passes and there is just nothing separating us and our Gorgie chums. I've been trying to think of other instances in football and other sports when there was no way of ranking the leaders.

Alan Wells sharing the gold in 1980 was all I could come up with.

calumhibee1
18-09-2021, 08:53 PM
Another week passes and there is just nothing separating us and our Gorgie chums. I've been trying to think of other instances in football and other sports when there was no way of ranking the leaders.

There’s an age old way of separating us. Goal difference.

We’re above Hearts and Rangers and we’re every bit as top as we would be if we were 10 points ahead of them and they’re every bit as 2nd and 3rd as they would be if they were 10 points behind us.

We are top. They’re joint nothing. They’re 2nd and 3rd respectively.

jgl07
18-09-2021, 08:59 PM
Nothing separating Hibs from Hearts?

Apart from goal differences and goals scored.

I know that Hearts have history here. They lost a League title on goal average one year when they would have won it using goal difference. Then they lost one on goal difference when they would have won it on goal average!

Always trying to win using the wrong rules!

Glory Lurker
18-09-2021, 09:04 PM
Whoosh?

AFKA5814_Hibs
18-09-2021, 09:06 PM
Listening to the radio after game and Neilson continued to say they're joint top. I bet if they were actually top on goal difference they'd not be joint top. They'd probably release a statement saying that they were top and above Hibs on goal difference.

Moulin Yarns
18-09-2021, 09:09 PM

I heard Absolute Radio news at 6pm and it clearly said that hibernian remain top of the league. 😉

calumhibee1
18-09-2021, 09:11 PM
Whoosh?

I can’t believe reading it back that I didn’t realise what you were doing :greengrin

Iain G
18-09-2021, 09:43 PM

It happens in the Oxford Cambridge boat race every year, both are in joint first place, nothing can separate them and call a result and it has taken all the brain power of both ancient University cities to work it out.

They decided the one that is in front is the winner, it's very unusual in sport of course where everyone is a winner.

Though the same scientists and Oxford and Cambridge have also worked out that first place doesn't show on a maroon jersey. Who knew!

KeithTheHibby
18-09-2021, 09:52 PM
Listening to the radio after game and Neilson continued to say they're joint top. I bet if they were actually top on goal difference they'd not be joint top. They'd probably release a statement saying that they were top and above Hibs on goal difference.

He’s some machine is Robbie Replay.

18-09-2021, 10:04 PM
Robbie Neilson post-match again said they were joint top and then went on to say it was the 2nd week in a row the other team's keeper was man of the match, which shows how much they're testing the opposition. 😀 Macey wasn't motm and 4 shots on target last and 5 today doesn't sound like they're testing anyone that much.

Speedy
19-09-2021, 08:50 AM
2 guys shared a gold at the moment recent olympics. Tamberi and some other guy.

20-09-2021, 02:53 PM
For all that Hearts are saying that they've had the tougher start to the season so far and how they've played 3 of last season's top 4. The 3 matches they're talking about have all been at home and they've drawn 2 of them. The only good result they've had was v Celtic and they were outplayed and were lucky to do a smash and grab on them.

They've only actually played 1 of this season's current top 4, us. Whereas we've played 2 of this season's current top 4, them and Motherwell. Both were away from home and we've taken 4 points from those 2 matches.

jacomo
20-09-2021, 03:06 PM
Whoosh?

Great bit of fishing that!

:thumbsup:

Speedy
21-09-2021, 10:21 PM
For all that Hearts are saying that they've had the tougher start to the season so far and how they've played 3 of last season's top 4. The 3 matches they're talking about have all been at home and they've drawn 2 of them. The only good result they've had was v Celtic and they were outplayed and were lucky to do a smash and grab on them.

They've only actually played 1 of this season's current top 4, us. Whereas we've played 2 of this season's current top 4, them and Motherwell. Both were away from home and we've taken 4 points from those 2 matches.

They've definitely had a tougher start

21-09-2021, 10:37 PM
They've definitely had a tougher start

But not by as much as they like to make out.

Carheenlea
21-09-2021, 10:53 PM

The 0-0 draw against Hibs was also a very good result, but they won’t admit that.

ABZHFC
21-09-2021, 10:54 PM
You can't blame them for not knowing who is officially top given all their years of campaigning for better a tie-breaking system. Losing the title on the last day to Kille on goal average when goal difference would have won them it, just to then lose it on goal difference 21 years later when goal average would have won them it :greengrin