PDA

View Full Version : Graeme Mathie Away?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Centre Hawf
16-09-2021, 03:14 PM
Apparently Ron Gordon wants to install a new team instead and Mathie is set to leave.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/7712264/hibs-part-company-sporting-director-graeme-mathie/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1631804721-1

BegbieHSC
16-09-2021, 03:17 PM
Interesting! Don’t know if our performance on deadline day has anything to do with it, but it’s probably not fair to speculate.

Thanks for everything, Graham, and good luck!!

Lendo
16-09-2021, 03:18 PM
Could be a huge blow if that’s true. Having a consistent Sporting/Recruitment director is something that’s set us a part from a lot of other clubs.

Dunbar Hibee
16-09-2021, 03:20 PM
Could be a huge blow if that’s true. Having a consistent Sporting/Recruitment director is something that’s set us a part from a lot of other clubs.

Consistently *****?

SaulGoodman
16-09-2021, 03:21 PM
Consistently *****?

?

Hermit Crab
16-09-2021, 03:23 PM
?

Heres a clue, poo.

AugustaHibs
16-09-2021, 03:24 PM
He messed up signings on deadline day, and if Ron was already considering getting rid then I can imagine that may have been the straw that broke the camels back.

calumhibee1
16-09-2021, 03:24 PM
I’m not sure how much this would have to do with Mathie but I wonder if this is anything to do with our lack of players coming through the youth system? Since he’s come in we’ve only really brought through Porteous with Doig and Cummings coming in really late on in that system having developed elsewhere.

Might be that Ron wants to see someone come in and improve that side of things?

Since452
16-09-2021, 03:25 PM
That will please the folk having a go at him over the last few weeks.

All the best if you do go Graeme.

Smartie
Overall our recruitment in recent years has been excellent, even if our summer just gone was a bit disappointing.

I’d have expected Mathie to have had to answer a few questions about the summer, maybe his answers were unconvincing?

Again, I think we’re in “careful what you wish for” territory here. Does a bad summer (and one with mitigating factors, such as the non departure of key players) mean that we remodel something that has worked very well for us for a few years?

SaulGoodman
Heres a clue, poo.

That’s not the bit I was confused by.

HoboHarry
16-09-2021, 03:27 PM
Consistently *****?
Open the door to the room and in rolls the empty barrel.....

MWHIBBIES
16-09-2021, 03:27 PM
Recruited excellent players for Hibs. Its scary how much better we've been at transfers in the last 7 years, than the 7 before that. Anyone saying he was ***** is talking rubbish.

Centre Hawf
16-09-2021, 03:28 PM
I wish him all the best if he goes.

But at the same time if Ron Gordon has allocated more funds to improve the squad than is being used and IF his manager is coming to him saying he hasn't had the right amount of players in or the right type of players he's asked for then there's going to be an issue needing addressed.

flash
16-09-2021, 03:29 PM
Not overly surprised. Our failure to fix the striker issue for the last three windows is bound to have consequences.

JohnM1875
16-09-2021, 03:29 PM
Not sure what to make of this one really. But if the new appointment is of the same quality (on paper anyway) as the new CEO I'm sure we don't have anything to worry about.

Six/seven years is a long time as well and probably due a change in the role.

matty_f
16-09-2021, 03:31 PM
I’ve a lot of time for Graeme - represented the club well, improved our recruitment no end, brought in an excellent manager, put the player pathways into place etc.

I think the nature of the ambition at the club now means that jobs across the club will be scrutinised and, where someone who is available that’s considered a better option of available, we’ll try to get them.

I think Mathie will rightly have a huge amount to be proud of from his time at the club.

Smartie
16-09-2021, 03:31 PM
Not sure what to make of this one really. But if the new appointment is of the same quality (on paper anyway) as the new CEO I'm sure we don't have anything to worry about.

Six/seven years is a long time as well and probably due a change in the role.

Is he not fairly new to this role, having replaced George Craig when he retired?

Mathie was doing something different before.

JohnM1875
16-09-2021, 03:33 PM
Is he not fairly new to this role, having replaced George Craig when he retired?

Mathie was doing something different before.

Very good point actually. Forgot about that.

Think on the whole Graham has done a great job and even if the last deadline day was a bit of a damp squib you'd think he'd have enoigh credit in the bank to continue for a while.

Interesting to see how this develops.

SaulGoodman
16-09-2021, 03:36 PM
Recruited excellent players for Hibs. Its scary how much better we've been at transfers in the last 7 years, than the 7 before that. Anyone saying he was ***** is talking rubbish.

Malonga
Boyle
Mcgeough
Fyvie
SDG
Scott Allan
Fontaine
Logan
Stokes
Gunnarsson
Henderson
McGregor
Bartley
SJM
Ambrose
Marciano
Barker
Kamberi
Horgan
McNulty
Omeonga
Mallan
Doidge
Newell
Paul Mcginn
Nisbet
Magennis
Cadden
Murphy
Irvine
Doyle-Hayes
Mueller (?)

Are all signings I would say were good to great for us.

Was he involved in all of them? Probably not but if you look at the signings before he came in it’s frightening.

Stuart93
16-09-2021, 03:37 PM
Think he’s done a really good job over the years

Wonder if RG’s just looking to get his own man in or if GM’s part in our transfer scramble towards the end of the window has pee’d Ron off

Hibs90
16-09-2021, 03:38 PM
He’s obviously done a good job overall I’d say based on our recruitment and the quality of it over the last few years but at times it seemed really slow and ponderous. Over a year to replace Bartley/Milligan, still no 3rd striker and at times an inbalanced squad, no doubt partly down to the managers at the time (Lennon/Hecky). Lack of youth coming through also.

Perhaps out summer window has contributed to this. If he goes then we could certainly do a lot worse and his replacement must be absolutely spot on.

Since452
16-09-2021, 03:40 PM
Like someone else said I think it was George Craig doing the recruitment before. If Ron wants his own people in then fair enough. He's given me no reason to doubt him.

Stuart93
16-09-2021, 03:41 PM
Like someone else said I think it was George Craig doing the recruitment before. If Ron wants his own people in then fair enough. He's given me no reason to doubt him.

Definitely not. If the appointment of our new CEO is anything to go by I think we can be excited to see who he brings in

Smartie
16-09-2021, 03:44 PM
He’s obviously done a good job overall I’d say based on our recruitment and the quality of it over the last few years but at times it seemed really slow and ponderous. Over a year to replace Bartley/Milligan, still no 3rd striker and at times an inbalanced squad, no doubt partly down to the managers at the time (Lennon/Hecky). Lack of youth coming through also.

Perhaps out summer window has contributed to this. If he goes then we could certainly do a lot worse and his replacement must be absolutely spot on.

I agree that we’ve occasionally been slow and there has sometimes been an air of “perfect being the enemy of good” about certain situations ie we’ve held out for excellent players and ended up with none, when it was imperative that we got someone in.

Do we believe that the striker/ forward equivalent of Paul McGinn doesn’t exist out there? Are we better off having no middle to front option that Jack Ross requested, rather than someone in their late twenties / early thirties who might provide valuable competition for places for us up front but have no sell-on value?

Mikey_1875
16-09-2021, 03:47 PM
Quite disappointed if Mathie is away but will wait and see what is brought to the table. I wonder if this means there will be a restructuring or just a direct replacement?

If it’s a replacement hopefully it is carried out a lot quicker than the CEO position so they can get their feet under the table and hit the ground running in the January window.

J-C
16-09-2021, 03:47 PM
Mathie is a decent bloke and very easy and open to talk to when I was last at EM. He was head of scouting when Craig was here and took over when he left, I have no clue if he was good at his job because I don't know the ins and outs of transfers. We've brought in some good players but there are still a few poor signings here and there, maybe Ron wants someone who's a bit more bullish in the transfer market, someone to get the signings done.
As far as the youth players coming through, is that not Eddie May's job, he's head of that department.

wookie70
16-09-2021, 03:51 PM
Much will depend on who is brought in but I will be sad to see anyone goes that is connected with recruitment at ER. It hasn't been perfect but our hit rate was been very good over the last 7 or so years and far more successes than failure. Apart from teh time with Lennon(which still provided some good signings) we appear to be working to a plan of quality over quantity and sell on opportunity. The squad age is very good as is its sell on value so well done to all involved and good luck to Graham in the future. Seems incredibly unfair to blame Graham for the lack of a striker. He could have put forward a number of names and Ron wouldn't sign the cheque, To me there is plenty evidence to suggest Ron and the recruitment team are doing a good job and hopefully Graham's replacement comes in and takes that to an even higher level.

Hibs90
16-09-2021, 04:07 PM
Unless he’s off to Celtic…

B.H.F.C
16-09-2021, 04:07 PM
Total speculation from me but I think he was tasked with getting some cash in during the summer but couldn’t get a deal done. Particularly with Doig, I felt at the time like he was actively trying to sell him. Then, he couldn’t get deals done for players we wanted in the door.

Smartie
16-09-2021, 04:10 PM
Total speculation from me but I think he was tasked with getting some cash in during the summer but couldn’t get a deal done. Particularly with Doig, I felt at the time like he was actively trying to sell him. Then, he couldn’t get deals done for players we wanted in the door.

That total speculation is my hunch as well.

Billy Whizz
16-09-2021, 04:12 PM
Mathie, the man who should always be thanked, for getting Hibs John McGinn
Good luck Graeme wherever you end up

Since452
16-09-2021, 04:15 PM
Definitely not. If the appointment of our new CEO is anything to go by I think we can be excited to see who he brings in

Absolutely. Exciting times ahead. That ****ty Sun article would initially have you think we're losing key people.

16-09-2021, 04:17 PM
He messed up signings on deadline day, and if Ron was already considering getting rid then I can imagine that may have been the straw that broke the camels back.

Would love to know what all the goings on were on deadline day that means Mathie messed up.

Ozyhibby
16-09-2021, 04:18 PM
The last thing I wanted RG to be was just another caretaker owner trundling along making sure we don’t go bust but never really showing any real ambition. It looks like we are avoiding that at least and if that means some move on then so be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Dieu4
16-09-2021, 04:18 PM
Could it not be that now Ben Kensell has been in the job a couple of months he's suggested a change and has someone in mind?

Billy Whizz
16-09-2021, 04:20 PM
Absolutely. Exciting times ahead. That ****ty Sun article would initially have you think we're losing key people.

We are, be interesting to see who we replace him with. Think he’s an employee of Hibs, not a fixed term contract like the players

CMurdoch
16-09-2021, 04:31 PM
I think we might be witnessing RG's 1st mistake.
Mathie appears to me to have been signing players with a very low budget yet has consistently come up trumps
e.g.Doyle-Hayes an absolute perfect fit for our midfield for zero pounds, Nisbet £300k now worth 10 times that sum etc etc.
I would like to have seen who Mathie could have signed with a bit of cash in his pocket as the next guy will have.

Mathie has always appeared to me to be a straight forward, trustworthy and decent person.
Also an able communicator and good at his job.
All qualities that would persuade a talented kids parents to trust their kid to Hibs rather than another club.
Perhaps he's too straight forward and not business enough for Ron Gordon.
I might be wrong but I am expecting the next guy to be bull**** bingotastic smoothy weasel guy
This change comes directly on the back of the American based owners breakaway/self interest group.
Is Ron's mask slipping?
As ever time will tell.

Mr. Wonderful
16-09-2021, 04:31 PM
I worry about where we're going as a club and what Ron's motive is. Good people who care about the club getting the heave or being forced to leave

Can only hope he knows what he's doing. For a man with not very much footballing knowledge, he certainly seems to have a clear idea how things should be done in his mind.

Mon Dieu4
16-09-2021, 04:35 PM
I worry about where we're going as a club and what Ron's motive is. Good people who care about the club getting the heave or being forced to leave

Can only hope he knows what he's doing. For a man with not very much footballing knowledge, he certainly seems to have a clear idea how things should be done in his mind.

Ron clearly wants excellence and he's earned the benefit of the doubt with me

JimBHibees
16-09-2021, 04:36 PM

Proof. Personally think the recruitment we have had recently has been in the main excellent.

Greencore
16-09-2021, 04:37 PM
He will go to Aberdeen no doubt.

calumhibee1
16-09-2021, 04:41 PM
Proof. Personally think the recruitment we have had recently has been in the main excellent.

I’m not quite sure what proof you expect but it was pretty widely rumoured at the time. Certain folk were given dogs abuse for it and yet here we are 2 weeks later and Mathie is about to be binned.

Billy Whizz
16-09-2021, 04:44 PM
I’m not quite sure what proof you expect but it was pretty widely rumoured at the time. Certain folk were given dogs abuse for it and yet here we are 2 weeks later and Mathie is about to be binned.

If Ross says we’ve been 43 games in the top 4, then the recruitment can’t be all that bad

madhatter
16-09-2021, 04:44 PM
I assume Ron will want someone with more knowledge of wider markets.

This isn't necessarily a reflection of Graeme.

Wish him the best. Overall he contributed to the upturn of the club. The next level may require a rethink even just to get a fresh set of eyes on it.

CapitalGreen
16-09-2021, 04:46 PM

I’d be more worried if the club was being held back by retaining underperforming staff due to sentiment.

Mathie has indeed managed the recruitment team during a period where we have identified a number of good players but he doesn’t work alone - it is a team effort involving different scouts and analysts. He has ultimate responsibility for getting these deals over the line however and there have been a number of high profile misses in recent windows such as McCrorie, McGrath and McCart which have left our manager short in key positions.

calumhibee1
16-09-2021, 04:48 PM
If Ross says we’ve been 43 games in the top 4, then the recruitment can’t be all that bad

I don’t disagree with that but the rumour seemed to be that their was some real bad blood because of the failure to get people in at the end of the window so it’s more of a case of an issue in isolation the other week rather than over 43 games.

Maybe Ron is now looking at us being at a much higher risk of failing in the league cup or leaving ourselves with to much to do in the league due to the Mathie “balls up” that was rumoured? Either of those things could cost the club hundreds of thousands if not over a million if we go out of the league cup because we’re short of a striker or if we leave ourselves with to much to do for third so it wouldn’t be beyond the realms of possibility for someone to be binned for it if that’s the way RG is looking at it. I’m not saying he is looking at it that way or that I agree with it btw.

Mathie leaving would certainly give credence to the rumour that went about after deadline day though. He certainly wasn’t flavour of the month at Hibs if the rumour was true.

Stevie Reid
16-09-2021, 04:49 PM
Be sad to see him go. Always liked what he had to say about his department and where he saw us going.

Unseen work
16-09-2021, 04:51 PM
Mathie will be off to Celtic.

whiskyhibby
16-09-2021, 04:56 PM
Mathie will be off to Celtic.

or St. Mirren……..

Since452
16-09-2021, 04:56 PM
Like Stuart93 said if Ron brings another person in of the same ilk as Ben Kensell then we are laughing. He is regarded as a bit of a coup. Not saying Mathie was bad but Ron clearly has lofty ambition for us. Sorry for Graeme but there is no sentiment for me if it is going to hold Hibs back.

blackpoolhibs
16-09-2021, 04:58 PM
Ron Gordon is taking the club upwards, if he thinks he can bring someone in who will do better, then i'm all for it.

Thanks Graham, good luck in the future.

Peevemor
16-09-2021, 05:01 PM
I think some people are adding 2 & 2 together and arriving at whatever answer suits them. If Mathie gets emptied soon without a replacement in place then fair enough, but any move could also be Mathie's doing. We also have a new CEO in place who may have been given a very detailed remit by Ron.

Chances are well never know (that's if there is anything to know).

Brightside
16-09-2021, 05:02 PM

Exactly. Some opinions on here are miles off.

bigwheel
16-09-2021, 05:05 PM
Mathie has been part of the best recruitment period that I can recall…if he is replaced, he has set a tough benchmark to better..I’m disappointed to hear this …

truehibernian
16-09-2021, 05:05 PM
I assume Ron will want someone with more knowledge of wider markets.

This isn't necessarily a reflection of Graeme.

Wish him the best. Overall he contributed to the upturn of the club. The next level may require a rethink even just to get a fresh set of eyes on it.

Overall he’s done a fine job, but can’t help thinking the failed McRorie and McGrath deals have sealed his fate given they became public and rightly or wrongly were portrayed negatively in the press. That and the very curious Doig situation at the start of the season when we went public before anything was agreed.

Mikey_1875
16-09-2021, 05:10 PM
Any chance of ‘Graham’ to Graeme please. On a par with Nisbet/Nesbit in piss boiling 😂

matty_f
16-09-2021, 05:16 PM
I don’t disagree with that but the rumour seemed to be that their was some real bad blood because of the failure to get people in at the end of the window so it’s more of a case of an issue in isolation the other week rather than over 43 games.

Maybe Ron is now looking at us being at a much higher risk of failing in the league cup or leaving ourselves with to much to do in the league due to the Mathie “balls up” that was rumoured? Either of those things could cost the club hundreds of thousands if not over a million if we go out of the league cup because we’re short of a striker or if we leave ourselves with to much to do for third so it wouldn’t be beyond the realms of possibility for someone to be binned for it if that’s the way RG is looking at it. I’m not saying he is looking at it that way or that I agree with it btw.

Mathie leaving would certainly give credence to the rumour that went about after deadline day though. He certainly wasn’t flavour of the month at Hibs if the rumour was true.

His role was much, much wider than recruitment and I suspect that his exit is more to do with a freshening up than anything related to the transfer window.

GordonHFC
16-09-2021, 05:20 PM
Mathie has been part of the best recruitment period that I can recall…if he is replaced, he has set a tough benchmark to better..I’m disappointed to hear this …

People need to look a lot closer to the dugout for reasons why we didn't bring in the players we wanted.

Vault Boy
16-09-2021, 05:21 PM
I think having a 'shelf life', for want of a better term, for these kind of roles makes sense. A new challenge for Graeme and a fresh set of eyes, ideas, and experiences for the club with a new sporting director in post.

If Mathie is a away, he'll leave with my best wishes and thanks.

Since452
People need to look a lot closer to the dugout for reasons why we didn't bring in the players we wanted.

Ross? What is Mathie there for then?

CapitalGreen

By “we wanted” do you mean the recruitment team wanted or the manger wanted?

JimBHibees
16-09-2021, 05:23 PM

Something a bit more valid than some random rumour. Who knows he is probably leaving for a better job no idea. Certainly don't think any failure in a transfer can be imo unfairly laid at the door of one person.

blackpoolhibs
I can sense a new dot net fact emerging today.

H18 SFR

Ross doesn’t have a part to play in virtually the full recruitment process.

Peevemor
16-09-2021, 05:24 PM
I can sense a new dot net fact emerging today.A couple I would think.

WhileTheChief..
16-09-2021, 05:25 PM
Happy to trust our CEO and owner.

If they feel Mathie's not up to the job, which appears to be the case, then so be it.

It's a cutthroat business, Mathie will understand that perfectly well and move on to another club.

I like that the club are continually trying to improve.

If you've been happy with what Mathie has brought to the table, imagine what someone even better can do. Exciting times.

Hermit Crab
16-09-2021, 05:28 PM
Mathie, the man who should always be thanked, for getting Hibs John McGinn
Good luck Graeme wherever you end up

McGinn was on his way to Dundee Utd. His agent contacted Hibs. We scrambled about to raise transfer fee. Hence we agreed to a very high sell on clause.

matty_f
16-09-2021, 05:29 PM

I think if you look at the transition of staff and the evidence of what the new staff have delivered, all Ron is doing is getting in people to deliver more/better than the folk who handed them the baton.

That’s not to say that the people leaving where ineffective or poor at their jobs, the observation I have is that previously we were like a Sunday driver - going along nicely in a nice wee car getting to where we wanted to be.

Now, Ron’s brought in a faster driver, got someone who knows how to tweak the engine to get more horsepower out of it, a navigator that knows the quickest route, and a driver who can get more out of the car.

Commercially, we are on another level from as recently as two years ago - look at the sheer number of partnerships/sponsorships we’re getting. The stadium is being revamped with big screens, better food kiosks, a better hospitality offering. The media team are producing consistently better content, the recruitment team are delivering better players, the manager is producing better, more consistent results.

There’s no mask slipping - the evidence is tangible and right in front of us. The club is going places, and the changing of the guard is part of that process - good Hibs people have left and will leave and the remit of the people replacing them is to push the club on. It’s happening.

Magpie
16-09-2021, 05:29 PM
Personally I think this change could be what is needed to push onto that next level. Graeme has done a fantastic job in his years here, but now we need that little bit extra. I trust Ron on this one.

Peevemor
16-09-2021, 05:30 PM
I think if you look at the transition of staff and the evidence of what the new staff have delivered, all Ron is doing is getting in people to deliver more/better than the folk who handed them the baton.

That’s not to say that the people leaving where ineffective or poor at their jobs, the observation I have is that previously we were like a Sunday driver - going along nicely in a nice wee car getting to where we wanted to be.

Now, Ron’s brought in a faster driver, got someone who knows how to tweak the engine to get more horsepower out of it, a navigator that knows the quickest route, and a driver who can get more out of the car.

Commercially, we are on another level from as recently as two years ago - look at the sheer number of partnerships/sponsorships we’re getting. The stadium is being revamped with big screens, better food kiosks, a better hospitality offering. The media team are producing consistently better content, the recruitment team are delivering better players, the manager is producing better, more consistent results.

There’s no mask slipping - the evidence is tangible and right in front of us. The club is going places, and the changing of the guard is part of that process - good Hibs people have left and will leave and the remit of the people replacing them is to push the club on. It’s happening.Good post.

Since452
16-09-2021, 05:31 PM
Happy to trust our CEO and owner.

If they feel Mathie's not up to the job, which appears to be the case, then so be it.

It's a cutthroat business, Mathie will understand that perfectly well and move on to another club.

I like that the club are continually trying to improve.

If you've been happy with what Mathie has brought to the table, imagine what someone even better can do. Exciting times.

Absolutely agree. Football is a tough business. If Ron and Ben think we can do better then so be it. We've always spoke about the potential of this club. Seems people are finally trying to fulfill it.

IncredibleHibee
16-09-2021, 05:31 PM
The original article says ‘another high profile exit’ from hibs. What are the on about ? Who are the other high profile exits?

Magpie
16-09-2021, 05:33 PM
The original article says ‘another high profile exit’ from hibs. What are the on about ? Who are the other high profile exits?

Dempster I assume.

jeffers
16-09-2021, 05:33 PM

Dempster would be one.

IncredibleHibee
16-09-2021, 05:34 PM
Dempster was about 100 years ago!

blackpoolhibs
16-09-2021, 05:35 PM

Dempster.

bigwheel
16-09-2021, 05:36 PM
McGinn was on his way to Dundee Utd. His agent contacted Hibs. We scrambled about to raise transfer fee. Hence we agreed to a very high sell on clause.

That wouldn’t have had much to do with it ..after he didn’t get an offer from America, Saints were always due a significant dev fee…over 300k if he signed for a scottish club. Hibs didn’t want to have to pay that, so shaped a deal that reduced the fee . Was a great deal at the time . Tbf , has remained a good deal for everyone as no one could have dreamt of the levels he has got to

inglisavhibs
16-09-2021, 05:42 PM
Spot on, Graham has been excellent for Hibs. I know he had a lot of travelling from his house in Ayrshire and this might have something to do with it. I doubt he will have been sacked at least I hope not.

Since452
16-09-2021, 05:42 PM

That's what I was meaning in an earlier post. The press with their misleading pish as per.

JimBHibees
16-09-2021, 05:49 PM

Thought he was going to Houston with Owen Coyle

flash
16-09-2021, 05:52 PM
Spot on, Graham has been excellent for Hibs. I know he had a lot of travelling from his house in Ayrshire and this might have something to do with it. I doubt he will have been sacked at least I hope not.

Be a bit strange if his commute was a problem after 7 years at the club.

gbhibby
16-09-2021, 05:56 PM
New CEO in place, he might have a different view on how the club should be structured. He may have somebody in mind from down south to replace Mathie.

gbhibby
16-09-2021, 05:58 PM
Jack Ross commutes from Sunderland.

loanheadhibby
16-09-2021, 06:03 PM

Surely if Mathie did not get the players in, RG has to carry some of the blame? I’m sure GM was working to a budget set by people further up the tree?

The other side is that possibly GM did not bring in enough funds over the summer

hibbyfraelibby
16-09-2021, 06:10 PM
Every one jumping to the conclusion that he's been emptied however it could be that as an employee and not a contractor he is just serving his notice after resigning because he has another job lined up...

Since90+2
16-09-2021, 06:11 PM

He commutes to and from Sunderland to take training every day?

Pretty Boy
16-09-2021, 06:13 PM
Mathie has done a more than decent job and I'm a bit surprised he is someone we are looking to move in if it is indeed the case.

Obviously a new owner and new CEO will want their own people and there has been a steady turnover of staff since the takeover. Whenever that happens there is always an element of risk, particularly when the people being replaced have been largely successful. That wasn't the case for some of the others who have moved on but it certainly is in this instance.

Time will tell.

loanheadhibby
16-09-2021, 06:13 PM
A huge blow? Is that not a bit dramatic?

Billy Whizz
16-09-2021, 06:14 PM
Every one jumping to the conclusion that he's been emptied however it could be that as an employee and not a contractor he is just serving his notice after resigning because he has another job lined up...

Red tops saying he’s been let go..

J-C
16-09-2021, 06:18 PM

Mathie was head of recruitment when he came here, basically chief scout, commuting wasn't a problem as Craig did all the day to day stuff at the club, since he's taken over from Craig he'll have to commute on a daily basis, was there not a rumour he was maybe going to Kilmarnock about 2 seasons ago?

WhileTheChief..
16-09-2021, 06:22 PM
Surely if Mathie did not get the players in, RG has to carry some of the blame? I’m sure GM was working to a budget set by people further up the tree?

The other side is that possibly GM did not bring in enough funds over the summer

Good point that's been overlooked.

Most of us have accepted the line that it was great business not to lose any players.

It could be that RG and JR wanted someone to leave to allow us to get x or y in and were left disappointed 'cause they didn't have a few million to spend that they were expecting.

bigwheel
16-09-2021, 06:26 PM

Most of us have accepted the line that it was great business not to lose any players.

It could be that RG and JR wanted someone to leave to allow us to get x or y in and were left disappointed 'cause they didn't have a few million to spend that they were expecting.

It will be a factor I suspect. I think Hibs signalled quite clearly that they expected one of our valuable assets to exit over the summer. I’m sure from a “business “ perspective they will have been disappointed it didn’t happen

B.H.F.C
16-09-2021, 06:26 PM

Certainly the way they were speaking about Doig, it felt like we wanted to sell him and we’re doing everything we could to drive the price up. Might not have been the case, of course, but that’s the way I saw at the time.

Billy Whizz
16-09-2021, 06:28 PM

I’d heard there was an offer on the table for Doig in July. It’s obvious we didn’t take it, and were looking for more for him. Who at Hibs would be calling the shots on accepting it or not?

inglisavhibs
16-09-2021, 06:33 PM
Travelling up regularly can get to you after a while. Different if you stay in Edinburgh midweek and only travel home after a game. May of course be nothing to do with that🤔

J-C
16-09-2021, 06:34 PM

There was strong rumours of the young Norwegian left back, who I'd assume was Doig's replacement, where they expecting too much money for Doig, £5M was being quoted but did we just over price him in the market and no one came biting.

WhileTheChief..
16-09-2021, 06:39 PM
I’d heard there was an offer on the table for Doig in July. It’s obvious we didn’t take it, and were looking for more for him. Who at Hibs would be calling the shots on accepting it or not?

When we're talking multi-million pound deals the last word must be RGs.

But if Mathie is the one taking the calls and having the chat, he's the one that will be going to RG for approval I'd have thought.

So if he keeps saying nah, we want £5m, but that offer never comes, then RG has nothing to have a say on.

Torto7
16-09-2021, 06:45 PM
I'll be sad to see him go. I think the 5live podcast Ron appeared on might hint at the reasons for his departure. Ron Gordon was quite clear in his frustrations over the narrowness of Hibs recruitment. He wants to use markets further afield in combination with the local. With Jack Ross wanting attacking players and Mathie falling short with McGrath(another domestic deal) I think that might have been the end for him. I expect the next guy to have knowledge of markets with a broader reach.

bigwheel
16-09-2021, 06:49 PM
I'll be sad to see him go. I think the 5live podcast Ron appeared on might hint at the reasons for his departure. Ron Gordon was quite clear in his frustrations over the narrowness of Hibs recruitment. He wants to use markets further afield in combination with the local. With Jack Ross wanting attacking players and Mathie falling short with McGrath(another domestic deal) I think that might have been the end for him. I expect the next guy to have knowledge of markets with a broader reach.

Interesting theme this…I’d worry that ultimately this would lead to also JR leaving. It seems clear he is equally more comfortable with scottish/British signings in the main ..

There is little doubt that our new owner is driving an approach to get a team of personnel that he is comfortable with. Hope he gets the big calls right

.Sean.
16-09-2021, 06:54 PM
I’d never heard that before. Interesting

Billy Whizz
16-09-2021, 07:04 PM
I’d never heard that before. Interesting

It’s rubbish, don’t believe him

gbhibby
16-09-2021, 07:05 PM
He commutes to and from Sunderland to take training every day?
Said it in an interview that he would commute from home to HTC, has got his dream home down there and kids settled in the area and at school. Don't know if he does it everyday, I think SJM still has his flat near the stadium so he might use that from time to time. Sure he said it took him around 2 hours. It was reported in the Scotsman in May 2020,if you want to look at it. Sorry can't post the link.

Torto7
16-09-2021, 07:08 PM
Interesting theme this…I’d worry that ultimately this would lead to also JR leaving. It seems clear he is equally more comfortable with scottish/British signings in the main ..

There is little doubt that our new owner is driving an approach to get a team of personnel that he is comfortable with. Hope he gets the big calls right

He likes Jack Ross. The new contract is proof of that.

He never said he wanted the team full of foreigners just that he wanted a broader reach that we could tap into, like needing an attacking player at the last minute for instance. Mueller seems to have been scouted by Jack Ross from what I've read.

Torto7
16-09-2021, 07:10 PM
Said it in an interview that he would commute from home to HTC, has got his dream home down there and kids settled in the area and at school. Don't know if he does it everyday, I think SJM still has his flat near the stadium so he might use that from time to time. Sure he said it took him around 2 hours.

He stays up here most of the week. Hibs have a couple of houses. Lennon used to stay in one.

Peevemor
16-09-2021, 07:10 PM
He likes Jack Ross. The new contract is proof of that.

He never said he wanted the team full of foreigners just that he wanted a broader reach that we could tap into, like needing an attacking player at the last minute for instance. Mueller seems to have been scouted by Jack Ross from what I've read.Would Mathie not have a say on JR's contract?

J-C
16-09-2021, 07:13 PM
He stays up here most of the week. Hibs have a couple of houses. Lennon used to stay in one.

Used to have a house in Gilberstoun or near there that Lennon and Parker stayed in, Lennon was a regular in Portobello most weeks.

Torto7
16-09-2021, 07:14 PM
Would Mathie not have a say on JR's contract?

Probably. Jack has been at the club a while now and if Ron Gordon was having any doubts I really couldn't see any contract extension being agreed.

Brightside
16-09-2021, 07:14 PM

He’s coming out with some crackers now.

Greencore
16-09-2021, 07:17 PM
It would be concerning if we had kept with Mathie for the sake of it. Maybe hibs had just out grown him, wish him all the best in the future.

Allez Hibs
16-09-2021, 07:18 PM
Ron getting rid of the dead wood?

Peevemor
16-09-2021, 07:22 PM
Probably. Jack has been at the club a while now and if Ron Gordon was having any doubts I really couldn't see any contract extension being agreed.I agree.

I just don't think that JR would be be responsible for sacking his boss.

If Mathie has been let go, then his relationship with JR might have come into it. However, it goes against everything that we've put in place since Leeann Dempster arrived if the manager is effectively deciding every football related appointment - that's where you end up starting everything from scratch every time there's a change of manager.

I would think that if Mathie is being replaced then it's part of a bigger plan and possible change in strategy/direction.

calumhibee1
16-09-2021, 07:23 PM
Something a bit more valid than some random rumour. Who knows he is probably leaving for a better job no idea. Certainly don't think any failure in a transfer can be imo unfairly laid at the door of one person.

This place would be awful quiet if the poster of a rumour required a substantial burden of proof.

Hermit Crab
16-09-2021, 07:23 PM

He’s coming out with some crackers now.

Ok, no bother. :aok:

Kato
16-09-2021, 07:25 PM
I thought McGinn was off to the states before Hibs stepped in?

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Peevemor
16-09-2021, 07:26 PM
This place would be awful quiet if the poster of a rumour required a substantial burden of proof.Did you believe his Ron the Con stuff?

calumhibee1
16-09-2021, 07:26 PM

Depends if RG sees it as a budget issue or that GM didn’t deliver when he had the budget available.

Again though, I’ve no idea if that’s the reason for this. It would seem quite a coincidence that 2 weeks after the rumour that people at the club were really unhappy with the way the window ended that the guy responsible for getting players in looks like he’s leaving.

Jones28
16-09-2021, 07:28 PM

Morpeth in Northumberland actually.

J-C
16-09-2021, 07:29 PM

About an hour by train.

Stuart93
16-09-2021, 07:30 PM

Lovely place. Not sure I’d like that commute everyday though

Allez Hibs
16-09-2021, 07:32 PM

There’s no mask slipping - the evidence is tangible and right in front of us. The club is going places, and the changing of the guard is part of that process - good Hibs people have left and will leave and the remit of the people replacing them is to push the club on. It’s happening.

Agree with this.

First Dempster, now Mathie, exciting times for the club ahead.

calumhibee1
16-09-2021, 07:32 PM
Did you believe his Ron the Con stuff?

I was more talking in general.

I couldn’t be further from believing the Ron the con stuff.

Allez Hibs
16-09-2021, 07:34 PM

Really??? That's madness.

Allez Hibs
16-09-2021, 07:35 PM
A huge blow? Is that not a bit dramatic?

A huge opportunity for the club more like.

Peevemor
16-09-2021, 07:39 PM
I was more talking in general.

I couldn’t be further from believing the Ron the con stuff.In general there are posters (sources) who have shown they can be trusted.

There are others who come out with Ron the Con stuff.

Hibees1973
16-09-2021, 07:39 PM
After reading all the posts so far, the general consensus is that Mathie did a great job at Hibs. I agree with this.

Up until now we have been operating with a structure that was put in place by Dempster. My feeling is that due to the relative success Mathie had, his influence at the club became greater as the years went on. It is no coincidence that Mathie has gone not long after Dempster left. Ross in some ways has been hung out to dry at recent press conferences and had to explain the lack of signings. It was embarrassing for Ross to withdraw Doig from a match day squad last month and advise jurnos that a move was imminent. This must have been at the instruction of Mathie because there was a fear Doig may get injured, only for Ross to re-instate Doig the following week. No one on here can prove it but I detect there has been friction between Ross and Mathie for some time.

Much as Mathie came in for criticism in the last window I feel his hands are tied somewhat due to the what Hibs are able to spend. Going forward we will find it more difficult to attract players that our immediate rivals, Aberdeen and Hearts may want. Both these clubs either have owners willing to spend more of their own money, for example Aberdeen or have a benefactor like Hearts willing to throw money away. Hearts have wasted millions in the last 4-5 years. Most people would have run a mile after the burning the money Hearts have but their benefactor has deep pockets and is not going away.

Hibs, with Mathie, have been very smart in the transfer market. This has been proved by consistent top 4 finishes and numerous appearances at Hampden in cup competitions.

Time will tell who replaces Mathie, but my gut feeling is that he is going to be a big loss.We are going to find out in the next year, after a couple of transfer windows, how much of a loss he is.

calumhibee1
16-09-2021, 07:40 PM
In general there are posters (sources) who have shown they can be trusted.

There are others who come out with Ron the Con stuff.

Yup. But at the time there was numerous posters saying they’d heard the same thing, it wasn’t just one poster and they weren’t all Ron the Con guys.

For numerous people to hear the exact same thing and then Mathie to be binned two weeks later would suggest there was substance to it to me. It might not be the sole reason for his departure but it looks like it could be part of the reason.

B.H.F.C
16-09-2021, 07:41 PM
Lovely place. Not sure I’d like that commute everyday though

Pretty straightforward up to East Mains from there to be fair. Probably took me longer to get to my work this morning!

Unseen work
16-09-2021, 07:45 PM
Interesting what the actual reason is for him leaving.

Simon Ferry has often heavily praised him and said that he’s very good at the job he does. He’s also been part of the massive turnaround the club has had since getting relegated with our recruitment being much much better.

Maybe Ron thinks we should be doing even better? I.e getting McGrath and McCart in earlier, or Doig leaving which Ross more or less said in the press only for it not to come to fruitition?

As exciting as it is potentially getting a better replacement there’s also that fear for me as I do think Mathie is good and would be hard to replace.

Players from abroad sound all well and good but we’ve seen countless come over and struggle.

It’s a huge risk but if Ron is comfortable with it then fair enough.

I wonder what say if any Jack Ross has in it? Might not sit well with him if they’ve a good relationship and he has confidence Mathie will get his targets in? On the flip side maybe Ross has complained about the lack of business and expressed frustration?

I’d imagine Ron would keep him in the loop and wants his opinion.

Maybe Kensall has came in and thinks we’re a shambles and capable of more?

Fwiw I’ve always really liked Mathie and been impressed with him when he speaks. His most recent interview was fantastic IMO and it was nice to hear him being so positive about the club and what he expects us to get for players and we won’t go down without a fight and lose players on the cheap. Were his values too high and unrealistic? Maybe Ross said to sell Doig for X amount as we could do x,y and z with it but Mathie was confident we could get more which then resulted in us missing out on targets?

MrSmith
16-09-2021, 07:46 PM
Was it Ron’s son who got us Muller? If so, maybe there in lies the replacement.

Newcastlehibby
16-09-2021, 07:58 PM
Pretty straightforward up to East Mains from there to be fair. Probably took me longer to get to my work this morning!

Indeed. About 94 miles straight up the A1. A bit less than 2 hours driving time.

I imagine he lives in one of the very expensive estates near Morpeth like Tranwell Woods or similar.

jeffers
16-09-2021, 08:01 PM
Was it Ron’s son who got us Muller? If so, maybe there in lies the replacement.

I think he brought him to the club’s attention, but not sure he’s qualified to be a DoF or whatever we are choosing to call it.

berwickhibee
16-09-2021, 08:05 PM
Pretty sure Jack Ross lives in Northumberland, not quite as far down as Sunderland.

et_hibby
16-09-2021, 08:12 PM
Pretty sure Jack Ross lives in Northumberland, not quite as far down as Sunderland.

Yes, think a previous poster here said Ponteland (beside Newcastle Airport)

hibsbollah
16-09-2021, 08:13 PM
Apparently Ron Gordon wants to install a new team instead and Mathie is set to leave.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/7712264/hibs-part-company-sporting-director-graeme-mathie/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1631804721-1

I really liked what he had to say; very intelligent and enthusiastic and good at communication.

Unseen work
16-09-2021, 08:15 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/graeme-mathie-leaves-hibs-after-being-axed-as-sporting-director-3386320

No money in
McGrath
McCrorie
Barrie McKay
McCart
Griffiths

Are they the reasons?

The press reported we made a mistake with the paperwork regarding McGrath instead of running out of time. Was it Mathie mistake and a big/amateur one at that?

Unless the post is nonsense then it seems a few posters were correct.

whereswallace?
16-09-2021, 08:24 PM

Not true at all

madhatter
16-09-2021, 08:26 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/graeme-mathie-leaves-hibs-after-being-axed-as-sporting-director-3386320

No money in
McGrath
McCrorie
Barrie McKay
McCart
Griffiths

Are they the reasons?

Ron Gordon didn't want another player from St Mirren or another player with Mc surname.

In my opinion our recruitment seems almost entirely based in Scotland. St Mirren are almost our feeder club. Won't know the ins and outs but it regularly feels like we have 1 target and if we fail with that we scramble around.

Signing the right player is difficult, no doubt about that. I'd say McCrorie and McGrath failures will be big contributors. Doesn't make club look great and I think Ron doesn't want another "done" deal being missed. Who knows..

Either way, Graeme Mathie has done a good job taking us up to this level.

Borderhibbie76
16-09-2021, 08:34 PM
Mathie has done a decent job but he's failed the manager in the last 2 windows by not bringing in the other forward we've badly needed...didn't think Ron would be impressed at these failed deadline day deals to be honest. Think it's the right time to bring someone else in

Smartie
16-09-2021, 08:37 PM
I’ve seen newspaper reports but is there actually anything official that he’s away?

bingo70
16-09-2021, 08:42 PM
I’ve seen newspaper reports but is there actually anything official that he’s away?

No it’s not been reported officially yet.

WhileTheChief..
16-09-2021, 08:44 PM

No money in
McGrath
McCrorie
Barrie McKay
McCart
Griffiths

Are they the reasons?

The press reported we made a mistake with the paperwork regarding McGrath instead of running out of time. Was it Mathie mistake and a big/amateur one at that?

Taking that article at face value, it doesn't read well for Mathie.

If both RG and JR were frustrated with him then he had to go. I think the Euro defeat really p'd off RG.

GonzoReturns
16-09-2021, 08:53 PM

If both RG and JR were frustrated with him then he had to go. I think the Euro defeat really p'd off RG.

That was the golden path RG was banking on and we fell short because we didn’t have the cover in the squad JR kept asking for.

04Sauzee
16-09-2021, 08:54 PM

No money in
McGrath
McCrorie
Barrie McKay
McCart
Griffiths

Are they the reasons?

Had my 5 free reads so can't read it unfortunately 👀

calumhibee1
16-09-2021, 09:00 PM

Yup.

He’s clearly done a good job to a degree but he’s clearly badly failed in areas.

No surprise that we want better.

Allez Hibs
16-09-2021, 09:01 PM
That was the golden path RG was banking on and we fell short because we didn’t have the cover in the squad JR kept asking for.

Yep, total rookie move from Mathie by the sounds of it.

Why not just get Griffiths in at the end of the window at least.

Peevemor
16-09-2021, 09:02 PM
Had my 5 free reads so can't read it unfortunately [emoji102]Graeme Mathie has left Hibs after being axed as the club's Sporting Director.

The Evening News understands that the 38-year-old has ultimately paid the price after*Hibs*endured a frustrating end to the summer transfer window and was relieved of his duties this week as owner Ron Gordon continues revamping the senior management team.

Mathie joined Hibs as Head of Recruitment and spent six years in the role before his appointment as Sporting Director in January 2020 as part of a reshuffle sparked by the departure of Head of Football Operations George Craig.

During his stint as recruitment chief he was widely credited with helping to bring players such as John McGinn to the club and following his promotion to Sporting Director, played a key role in new contracts for key players such as Martin Boyle, Josh Doig, and Joe Newell.

But a number of events in the latter days of the transfer window are believed to have accelerated his departure.

Graeme Mathie was appointed Sporting Director at Hibs following the departure of Head of Football Operation George Craig

The Evening News understands that the 38-year-old has ultimately paid the price after*Hibs*endured a frustrating end to the summer transfer window and was relieved of his duties this week as owner Ron Gordon continues revamping the senior management team.

But a number of events in the latter days of the transfer window are believed to have accelerated his departure.

Hibs attempted to do a late deal for St Mirren’s Jamie McGrath with Scott Allan and Drey Wright going in the other direction but ran out of time to get the move over the line, while the eventual arrival of Middlesbrough centre-back Nathan Wood came after more than one failed attempt to persuade St Johnstone to part with Jamie McCart.

That delay in bringing in defensive cover had already cost Hibs in Europe with club captain Paul Hanlon sidelined for the Europa Conference League third qualifying round second-leg encounter against HNK Rijeka in Croatia through injury and a depleted team eventually going down 4-1 on the night and 5-2 on aggregate.

Head coach Jack Ross, meanwhile, spoke repeatedly of his frustration after the club was unsuccessful in adding to his attacking options before the deadline and was forced to address rumours after the window that the club had been beaten to Barrie McKay's signature by city rivals Hearts.

Mathie, who turned out for Bournemouth, Coventry, and Motherwell as a player before stints with Celtic and the Scottish FA prior to joining Hibs, leaves having contributed greatly to the club’s return to the Scottish Premiership following their relegation in 2014 as well as the 2016 Scottish Cup success and last season’s third-place finish.

Apart from confirming that Mathie's away, it's all speculation/supposition.

Allez Hibs
16-09-2021, 09:03 PM
Graeme Mathie has left Hibs after being axed as the club's Sporting Director.

Mathie joined Hibs as Head of Recruitment and spent six years in the role before his appointment as Sporting Director in January 2020 as part of a reshuffle sparked by the departure of Head of Football Operations George Craig.

During his stint as recruitment chief he was widely credited with helping to bring players such as John McGinn to the club and following his promotion to Sporting Director, played a key role in new contracts for key players such as Martin Boyle, Josh Doig, and Joe Newell.

SportFootballHibs

Graeme Mathie leaves Hibs after being axed as Sporting Director

Graeme Mathie has left Hibs after being axed as the club's Sporting Director.

By*Patrick McPartlin

Thursday, 16th September 2021, 7:26 pm

Updated2 hours ago

Graeme Mathie was appointed Sporting Director at Hibs following the departure of Head of Football Operation George Craig

Recommended by

Ploubalay: Liquidation des voitures 2020 invendues. Les prix vont vous surprendreVoitures | Liens de recherche

Most comments

The following is a list of the most commented articles in the last 10 days.

ADVERTISEMENT

A trending article titled "Chris Stewart says standards have been allowed to slip and called for a dedicated council official for the city centre" with 7 comments.

Chris Stewart says standards have been allowed to slip ...

7 comments

A trending article titled "'What David put me through over the years still consumes me to this day.'" with 7 comments.

'What David put me through over the years still consume...

7 comments

A trending article titled "Impatient Edinburgh motorist drove his car at lollipop man in front of schoolchildren" with 6 comments.

Impatient Edinburgh motorist drove his car at lollipop ...

6 comments

A trending article titled "Edinburgh’s World of Football set for demolition to make way for more student housing" with 3 comments.

Edinburgh’s World of Football set for demolition to mak...

3 comments

A trending article titled "Vaccine passports in Scotland from October 1 as MSPs approve move" with 2 comments.

Vaccine passports in Scotland from October 1 as MSPs ap...

2 comments

A trending article titled "'Forcing people to explain themselves in front of others robs them of their dignity and privacy.'" with 2 comments.

'Forcing people to explain themselves in front of other...

2 comments

Hibs attempted to do a late deal for St Mirren’s Jamie McGrath with Scott Allan and Drey Wright going in the other direction but ran out of time to get the move over the line, while the eventual arrival of Middlesbrough centre-back Nathan Wood came after more than one failed attempt to persuade St Johnstone to part with Jamie McCart.

That delay in bringing in defensive cover had already cost Hibs in Europe with club captain Paul Hanlon sidelined for the Europa Conference League third qualifying round second-leg encounter against HNK Rijeka in Croatia through injury and a depleted team eventually going down 4-1 on the night and 5-2 on aggregate.

Head coach Jack Ross, meanwhile, spoke repeatedly of his frustration after the club was unsuccessful in adding to his attacking options before the deadline and was forced to address rumours after the window that the club had been beaten to Barrie McKay's signature by city rivals Hearts.

Mathie, who turned out for Bournemouth, Coventry, and Motherwell as a player before stints with Celtic and the Scottish FA prior to joining Hibs, leaves having contributed greatly to the club’s return to the Scottish Premiership following their relegation in 2014 as well as the 2016 Scottish Cup success and last season’s third-place finish.

Apart from confirming that Mathie's away, it's all speculation/supposition.

Thanks 👌

FilipinoHibs
16-09-2021, 09:15 PM
I think not getting to the group stages of the European conference league and not shifting Doig put a big dent in Ron's plans given the lost revenue. The old Hibs would just say bad luck and just carry on. Not the US way. Ron would have carried out and an inquiry and found out out what needs to done to not let it happen again. US businesses are more performance and results driven.

McSwanky
16-09-2021, 09:19 PM
I think not getting to the group stages of the European conference league and not shifting Doig put a big dent in Ron's plans given the lost revenue. The old Hibs would just say bad luck and just carry on. Not the US way. Ron would have carried out and an inquiry and found out out what needs to done to not let it happen again. US businesses are more performance and results driven.Did Ron really think we would make the group stages? If he was looking at that from a budget vs budget perspective, he'd be quite pragmatic I'm sure that making the group stages was a massive ask for any non OF Scottish team.

Allez Hibs
16-09-2021, 09:21 PM
I think not getting to the group stages of the European conference league and not shifting Doig put a big dent in Ron's plans given the lost revenue. The old Hibs would just say bad luck and just carry on. Not the US way. Ron would have carried out and an inquiry and found out out what needs to done to not let it happen again. US businesses are more performance and results driven.

What we've all wanted for a long time from the club... Ambition!!!

Lago
16-09-2021, 09:36 PM
Indeed. About 94 miles straight up the A1. A bit less than 2 hours driving time.

I imagine he lives in one of the very expensive estates near Morpeth like Tranwell Woods or similar.
2 hours in the summer, try it in the winter!!

Smartie
16-09-2021, 09:38 PM
Did Ron really think we would make the group stages? If he was looking at that from a budget vs budget perspective, he'd be quite pragmatic I'm sure that making the group stages was a massive ask for any non OF Scottish team.

We got close enough to matching Rijeka, and it was ultimately the failure to provide Jack Ross with adequate squad depth for the Rijeka game that led to our failure.

It remains to be seen what the failure to add the required attacking depth to the squad might cost us.

I'm far from convinced axing Mathie is the answer as he has a decent amount of credit in the bank with us, but if Ron Gordon is serious about kicking us on a level, he might not be in the mood to accept any sort of perceived failures - and the failure to provide Jack Ross with the squad he needs is certainly a failure, even if he's done fairly well so far with what he's got domestically so far this season.

I don't buy that "European success" is a pipe dream. It's a massive opportunity to bring serious levels of income into the club (see what it has done for Rangers) and we already have the core of a really good squad who should be capable of reaching some sort of group stage. I'd be delighted if Ron Gordon was absolutely serious about the opportunity that lies there.

lord bunberry
16-09-2021, 09:47 PM
I find these threads infuriating. No one on here has got a clue what happened on transfer deadline day, but some will use speculation to twist things to suit their agenda. We have some quoting stories in the papers to back up their views, but in the past they’d rubbish the same sources because “it’s the sun” I’ve not got a clue if our transfer window went to plan or not, but the fact that we’ve not tried to sign one of the many out of contract players on a short term deal suggests the manager is relatively happy with what he’s got.

neil7908
16-09-2021, 09:52 PM

I'm not entirely sure I agree with that. Folk have been going mad at fellow fans for daring to query Mathie and talking about what a great job he's done.

Now Ron wants him out and we don't know why or who will replace him. And the same fans are now perfectly happy with that?

What if Ross is the next one to go in order to take us to the next level?

I like Ron btw.

HoboHarry
16-09-2021, 09:53 PM
I find these threads infuriating. No one on here has got a clue what happened on transfer deadline day, but some will use speculation to twist things to suit their agenda. We have some quoting stories in the papers to back up their views, but in the past they’d rubbish the same sources because “it’s the sun” I’ve not got a clue if our transfer window went to plan or not, but the fact that we’ve not tried to sign one of the many out of contract players on a short term deal suggests the manager is relatively happy with what he’s got.

Here you, don't be printing sensible stuff on here, bringing the place down you are.....

Smartie
16-09-2021, 09:56 PM

"Relatively".

Do you seriously think though, that Jack Ross was happy going into the games with Rijeka and Hearts with what he had on the bench to change the game? His job and reputation are on the line and whilst he's probably got enough to beat most of the weaker teams in our league, he's on a bit of a hiding to nothing if certain events transpire during these games. It didn't happen against Hearts and we got a result there, it did against Rijeka and we suffered.

I doubt Jack Ross is happy about that situation at all.

lord bunberry
16-09-2021, 10:11 PM
"Relatively".

Do you seriously think though, that Jack Ross was happy going into the games with Rijeka and Hearts with what he had on the bench to change the game? His job and reputation are on the line and whilst he's probably got enough to beat most of the weaker teams in our league, he's on a bit of a hiding to nothing if certain events transpire during these games. It didn't happen against Hearts and we got a result there, it did against Rijeka and we suffered.

I doubt Jack Ross is happy about that situation at all.
We were looking the most likely team to win the game against Rijeka until Daz was sent off, we got a decent away draw at tynie. Jack Ross said many times last season he wanted a smaller squad with higher quality, we’ve added to that this season, but we’ve had to deal with injuries. His job and reputation up to this point has only been enhanced by our recruitment, he’s been pretty much the only manager outside the old firm who has been able to pay transfer fees. If he’s not happy with how things are going right now he never will be.

lord bunberry
16-09-2021, 10:11 PM
Here you, don't be printing sensible stuff on here, bringing the place down you are.....
I do apologise :greengrin

et_hibby
16-09-2021, 10:12 PM
😀😀👍

CMurdoch
16-09-2021, 10:30 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/graeme-mathie-leaves-hibs-after-being-axed-as-sporting-director-3386320No money inMcGrath McCrorieBarrie McKay McCartGriffiths Are they the reasons? The press reported we made a mistake with the paperwork regarding McGrath instead of running out of time. Was it Mathie mistake and a big/amateur one at that?Unless the post is nonsense then it seems a few posters were correct.That article is full of "the Evening News understands" and "it is believed"No facts, no quotes just dressed up opinion.Not getting money in the tranfer of Doig could be an issue given it probably put the mockers on our budget for transfers in. As for the potential player signings you mention. McCrorie will have failed because Aberdeen offered higher wages which Hibs wouldn't match. McCart will have failed because St Johnstone wanted more money than Hibs were willing to offer. McKay I don't think we really wanted him badly enough to outbid Hearts on a contract, Re Griffiths, I don't think Hibs were interested, McGrath was going to Middlesboro until an hour before the window closed and Hibs tried to jump in with a complicated deal that would have taken two squad players off our wage bill as well as adding a player we wanted badly. Due to the complicated nature of it the deal ran out of time before it could be completed. I can't see how Mathie can be blamed for any of these deals not getting over the line given the circumstances. As for another striker, we weren't going to find another Nisbet type diamond for £200k between Doidge being injured and the closing of the window.

O'Rourke3
16-09-2021, 10:38 PM
If the lack of transfer in activity was down to GM then he had carte blache on fee and wages - really?

I'm also struggling to understand why not getting a £5M fee for Doig is where the buck stops. That had to come from much higher up.

If he cocked up on the last day fair do's but not getting targets over the line in previous windows has to involve the manager and the Chair\CEO. Either we were not offering enough or we were nof prepared to sacrifice existing players.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Brightside
16-09-2021, 10:41 PM

Spot on. Some should be embarrassed. We are talking about a guy who has served our club extremely well whilst we had threads begging to sign players who are the last thing we need.

SMAXXA
16-09-2021, 10:43 PM

How do you know we haven’t tried to sign an out of contract player?

Capt Mainwaring
16-09-2021, 10:48 PM
I don’t believe there was a positive working relationship between Ross and Mathie and clearly with an extended contract Ron is backing the manager

I don’t think the issue with Mathie has been so much the calibre of players that have been brought in, rather the players we failed to land and the resulting imbalance in the first team squad

The final straw probably being the rather shambolic last few days of the transfer window.

McSwanky
16-09-2021, 10:56 PM
We got close enough to matching Rijeka, and it was ultimately the failure to provide Jack Ross with adequate squad depth for the Rijeka game that led to our failure.

It remains to be seen what the failure to add the required attacking depth to the squad might cost us.

I'm far from convinced axing Mathie is the answer as he has a decent amount of credit in the bank with us, but if Ron Gordon is serious about kicking us on a level, he might not be in the mood to accept any sort of perceived failures - and the failure to provide Jack Ross with the squad he needs is certainly a failure, even if he's done fairly well so far with what he's got domestically so far this season.

I don't buy that "European success" is a pipe dream. It's a massive opportunity to bring serious levels of income into the club (see what it has done for Rangers) and we already have the core of a really good squad who should be capable of reaching some sort of group stage. I'd be delighted if Ron Gordon was absolutely serious about the opportunity that lies there.

I'm not saying it's a pipe dream, I'm saying this season was probably a bridge too far, and I believe Ron will have been smart enough to know that. Even if we had made it past Rijeka (which would have been a massive result looking at their wage bill v ours) the next round would have been an even bigger challenge.

The number of sponsorship deals we are doing right now is clearly designed to boost the budget, so maybe next year we'll be in a stronger position to progress.

Is It On....
16-09-2021, 11:07 PM
Not overly surprised. Our failure to fix the striker issue for the last three windows is bound to have consequences.

Kevin Nisbet was signed 3 transfer windows ago?

SMAXXA
16-09-2021, 11:12 PM
Kevin Nisbet was signed 3 transfer windows ago?

We have been very lucky with injuries thought this season it’s caught up on us IMO. We still effectively have 2 main strikers doidge and Nizzy Scott and Boyle are more suited wide IMO Gullan no point even mentioning him as doesn’t get a game

Brightside
16-09-2021, 11:16 PM
Imagine the day we can have a top class striker just sitting on the bench of the off chance.

Allez Hibs
16-09-2021, 11:19 PM
Imagine the day we can have a top class striker just sitting on the bench of the off chance.

Most teams do...

Griffiths off the bench at Tynecastle would have been an unreal option to have.

Brightside
16-09-2021, 11:36 PM
Most teams do...

He’s at Dundee. And not shining. We’ve moved on thankfully.

Forza Fred
16-09-2021, 11:47 PM
While others have offered their particular reason for this change, could it be just one of several we will see in the next few months?

When any new CEO takes up the post, generally the first thing s/he does is look at the organisation and has a restructure of some sort.

Is it just a coincidence that this news comes through just after the appointment of a new CEO?

On a personal note I exchanged emails with Graham a few times, and I found him to be both polite and professional.

If you are reading this Graham thanks for your efforts in the past, and good luck for the future.

matty_f
16-09-2021, 11:54 PM
Most teams do...

No they don’t.

Smartie
17-09-2021, 12:01 AM

Doesn’t need to be top class.

Just someone of sufficient ability that the manager can trust him to do a job.

Ross appears to go out of his way not to use certain players within our first team squad and that impacts on his ability to control a game.

matty_f
17-09-2021, 12:07 AM
I'm not entirely sure I agree with that. Folk have been going mad at fellow fans for daring to query Mathie and talking about what a great job he's done.

Now Ron wants him out and we don't know why or who will replace him. And the same fans are now perfectly happy with that?

What if Ross is the next one to go in order to take us to the next level?

I like Ron btw.

Are they the same fans that are perfectly happy with it?

I am a big fan of Mathie’s, I’ve spoken to him at length before and exchanged messages with him and he’s always been first class, coming across as very competent, knowledgable, enthusiastic etc and I had no desire to see him move on from the club whatsoever. I trusted him and believed in what he was doing.

I can also see the progress the club is making and accept, as part of that progress, that change is a necessary evil and so the question i ask myself when considering whether or not to be worried about this change, is “what evidence do I have that I should be worried versus the evidence i have to be confident that the change is needed?” and I think if you look at what the club is producing now compared to pre-Ron Gordon then i think there’s far more reassuring evidence than troublesome.

I hope we keep Jack Ross for a long time, a) because i think he’s a talented and impressive manager, and b) because if he’s here a long time it’s because we’re doing well.

If it ceases to be the case that the manager is meeting expectations then, as is normal in football, I’d expect we’d change manager at some point.

Pretty Boy
17-09-2021, 01:30 AM
I like GM a lot. I've been lucky enough to speak to him several times and he's a knowledgeable, interesting and passionate guy. I'm sad to see him go both on a personal level because it's not nice to see anyone lose their job (if that is indeed what has happened) and as a fan because I think he has done a good job for the most part.

Something has instigated the move though. Be that 1 particular thing or a culmination of several smaller things. I did sense a growing frustration from the manager as the transfer window dragged on, it was something I hadn't seen before from him as he became quite vocal about his needs and his concerns meeting those needs hadn't happened. Of course Jack Ross understands the constraints Hibs work under and he knows why deals don't happen but there was evident frustration all the same. I didn't completely buy the narrative we were totally delighted with our transfer dealings in the summer albeit there was no immediate need to make panic free agent signings for the sake of it either.

I don't suppose we will ever truly know the reason for this decision albeit plenty rumour and bull**** will stick. I'm not massively concerned though. Whether we like it or not Hibs are a corporate environment now and have been for some time and in such environments key people move on and are replaced all the time. As I said earlier in the thread there is risk involved but there is also opportunity.

Mr. Wonderful
17-09-2021, 03:54 AM
At least Rod knew the value of keeping good people at the club.

Allant1981
17-09-2021, 05:03 AM

Aye because thats a good way to run a business, keep them in a job because they are good people even if they arent doing their job very well(not suggesting GM wasnt as i dont know)

Peevemor
17-09-2021, 05:06 AM
At least Rod knew the value of keeping good people at the club.When Rod was running things we changed manager every 18 months and nearly all the football dept staff along with him.

Since452
17-09-2021, 05:11 AM

And we underachieved for the majority of the time he was in charge

flash
17-09-2021, 05:14 AM

Large periods of life under Petrie were spent with the club in either a comatose state of inaction or on a downward spiral.
Towards the end it was like we had shut down commercially too.
I would humbly suggest that the club is now receiving a much needed boot up the erse.

Bangkok Hibby
17-09-2021, 05:16 AM

Ron is the future like it or not. Pretty sure we'll like it!

calumhibee1
17-09-2021, 05:47 AM
Spot on. Some should be embarrassed. We are talking about a guy who has served our club extremely well whilst we had threads begging to sign players who are the last thing we need.

Why should people be embarrassed? Because they’re discussing something that’s happening at Hibs? :confused:

flash
17-09-2021, 05:51 AM
Why should people be embarrassed? Because they’re discussing something that’s happening at Hibs? :confused:

As you know we often disagree Calum but you are spot on here in my opinion.
It is healthy to discuss things that happen at the club and it's absolutely fine for people to disagree.
That is absolutely what a fans forum exists for.

JimBHibees
17-09-2021, 05:55 AM
Yup. But at the time there was numerous posters saying they’d heard the same thing, it wasn’t just one poster and they weren’t all Ron the Con guys.

For numerous people to hear the exact same thing and then Mathie to be binned two weeks later would suggest there was substance to it to me. It might not be the sole reason for his departure but it looks like it could be part of the reason.

Just because more people hear the same rumour doesn't mean it was true

Unseen work
17-09-2021, 06:17 AM
That article is full of "the Evening News understands" and "it is believed"No facts, no quotes just dressed up opinion.Not getting money in the tranfer of Doig could be an issue given it probably put the mockers on our budget for transfers in. As for the potential player signings you mention. McCrorie will have failed because Aberdeen offered higher wages which Hibs wouldn't match. McCart will have failed because St Johnstone wanted more money than Hibs were willing to offer. McKay I don't think we really wanted him badly enough to outbid Hearts on a contract, Re Griffiths, I don't think Hibs were interested, McGrath was going to Middlesboro until an hour before the window closed and Hibs tried to jump in with a complicated deal that would have taken two squad players off our wage bill as well as adding a player we wanted badly. Due to the complicated nature of it the deal ran out of time before it could be completed. I can't see how Mathie can be blamed for any of these deals not getting over the line given the circumstances. As for another striker, we weren't going to find another Nisbet type diamond for £200k between Doidge being injured and the closing of the window.

I appreciate what you’re saying, I’m just speculating for what could have been the cause for Mathie leaving as I can’t see it being down to a one off incident.

Re the transfers I mentioned

McCrorie - Ron spoke about us signing him in the press and must have been fairly certain it was done.

McCart - Clearly identified as one of the top targets by us and failed. It could have been priced out but it depends on who decides if it’s too much I suppose, was it Mathie if he has control over budget and where it gets spent?

Griffiths - No interest all summer then supposedly come in last minute to try and change his decision. If true does Ron think it’s poor planning as we could have had him all along?

McGrath - Was going south but when that was scrapped our deal was fully on with 3 players agreeing to the transfer. Press reported it was a mistake with paperwork, was it Mathie’s mistake and the final straw?

McKay - Is this similar to Griffiths that we had all summer to get him but then failed/went in with another last minute bid to change his mind?

Doig - Ross clearly thought he was leaving and like Ron with McCrorie mentioned it in the press for it to come back and bite us.

Now I’m not saying those are the reasons but a few on here have mentioned the above and how people weren’t happy with the business, could there be some truth in it and with Ron adding them all up decided something has to change?

Even the signing of JDH which is fantastic business was a last minute bid as he was away to sign for Dundee United. End of the day I don’t care as we pulled it off but imagine we failed with him too.

Maybe Ron is seeing a bit of a pattern with how we do business and isn’t a huge fan.

I don’t think we necessarily needed another Nisbet as a striker, just someone that could come in short term to do a job and provide a bit of competition. Maybe they were setting targets too high?

Like I’ve said though I really like Mathie and think he’s done a brilliant job since coming to the club. Could we do better? I honestly have no idea.

calumhibee1
17-09-2021, 06:18 AM
Just because more people hear the same rumour doesn't mean it was true

Nope. But it does give the rumour more credibility.

Also, when an action is taken shortly after the rumour which would be the kind of action that would potentially follow should the rumour be true then it gives the rumour more credibility as well.

Hibs90
17-09-2021, 06:23 AM
I really like Ron it has to be said. Hasn’t put a foot wrong yet.

Since452
17-09-2021, 06:25 AM
Hypothetical now but if we'd somehow got to the European group stages, we wouldn't have coped with our squad. Could have been embarrassing and our league form would have suffered. Does that lie with Mathie? Possibly.

Brightside
17-09-2021, 06:26 AM

Making up pish about someone job. You and HC revel in this stuff. Imagine there is a board somewhere with loads of randoms saying you are pish at your job? We are not debating a footballers match performance here.

calumhibee1
17-09-2021, 06:29 AM
Making up pish about someone job. You and HC revel in this stuff. Imagine there is a board somewhere with loads of randoms saying you are pish at your job? We are not debating a footballers match performance here.

What have I made up? :faf: I’ve been quite clear numerous times that I don’t know anything about Mathie leaving.

Like it or not, jobs like Mathies will be discussed publicly. You’re kidding yourself on if you think it won’t/should be.

As an aside, you’re the guy that had to change his username because he was caught out so many times making stuff up to pretend you’re “ITK”. The irony in you suggesting that’s what others are doing and they should be embarrassed is quite spectacular.

Brightside
17-09-2021, 06:38 AM
So you say you know nothing but you’ve constant regenerated the rumours. Ffs you’re like a fish wife. If you know nothing say nothing. You are gossiping about a mans livelihood.

calumhibee1
17-09-2021, 06:41 AM
So you say you know nothing but you’ve constant regenerated the rumours. Ffs you’re like a fish wife. If you know nothing say nothing. You are gossiping about a mans livelihood.

Thats how a forum works right enough. You do realise this is a forum for discussing Hibs, don’t you? We discuss, gossip and surmise about people’s livelihoods who work at Hibs (and elsewhere in football) every day on here.

flash
17-09-2021, 06:42 AM

Not sure a fans forum is turning out to be the best place for you what with first the inability to accept any criticism of your favourite player and now this.
Are you suggesting that the manager and Mathie get on well or do you acknowledge there has been an issue there and not just recently?

Brightside
17-09-2021, 06:46 AM
Not sure a fans forum is turning out to be the best place for you what with first the inability to accept any criticism of your favourite player and now this.
Are you suggesting that the manager and Mathie get on well or do you acknowledge there has been an issue there and not just recently?

I’ll happily stay on the side of respect on this one. A fans forum or any public internet space really doesn’t have to be like this. I’ll duck out of this “debate” now and just wish the man the very best in his next role.

calumhibee1
17-09-2021, 06:48 AM
I’ll happily stay on the side of respect on this one. A fans forum or any public internet space really doesn’t have to be like this. I’ll duck out of this “debate” now and just wish the man the very best in his next role.

Lol

Not In The Know
17-09-2021, 06:49 AM
I think we might be witnessing RG's 1st mistake.
Mathie appears to me to have been signing players with a very low budget yet has consistently come up trumps
e.g.Doyle-Hayes an absolute perfect fit for our midfield for zero pounds, Nisbet £300k now worth 10 times that sum etc etc.
I would like to have seen who Mathie could have signed with a bit of cash in his pocket as the next guy will have.

Mathie has always appeared to me to be a straight forward, trustworthy and decent person.
Also an able communicator and good at his job.
All qualities that would persuade a talented kids parents to trust their kid to Hibs rather than another club.
Perhaps he's too straight forward and not business enough for Ron Gordon.
I might be wrong but I am expecting the next guy to be bull**** bingotastic smoothy weasel guy
This change comes directly on the back of the American based owners breakaway/self interest group.
Is Ron's mask slipping?
As ever time will tell.

Every experience I have had with Mathie has been positive. It would be a real shame for him to leave. He travels through from ayr everyday maybe he’s had enough.

flash
17-09-2021, 06:51 AM

Like what though? Is anyone getting remotely personal about him?
I genuinely don't understand what you are getting at.

calumhibee1
17-09-2021, 06:53 AM

Nope. Nobody is.

People are questioning if the fact that we didn’t get transfers over the line that are public knowledge we expected/hoped to get over the line have cost him his job. That really is about the extent of it. The suggestion that there’s masses of disrespect towards him is laughable.

Peevemor
17-09-2021, 07:05 AM

Criticism and perceived failings in how he did his job are fast becoming .net fact and based on what? Rumour spread and repeated by a number of posters who are generally (but not exclusively) among the more negative on here.

The chances are that we'll never know who was responsible for what - either good or bad, lucky or unlucky, but the same people will continue to relentlessly add layer upon layer. Those (yes - like myself), who propose a different outlook based on the same available information are criticised as being argumentative. Go figure!

We're speaking about a guy that's been great for Hibs - about a real person and his job , ie. how he makes a living and feeds his family. All based on rumour and supposition.

So yes, it's personal.

madhatter
17-09-2021, 07:09 AM
If Mathie is leaving because we think we can get better. Good for Hibs and ultimately good for Mathie, he'll find a decent job elsewhere and I'm assuming there has been at least some politics going on which always makes a workplace less enjoyable to be at.

If Mathie is leaving because he has another job. Good for him. Also good for Hibs. We need to keep things fresh. We went through a transitional period under Leeann and I think this is just another stage ending.

We've got football and financial partnerships now and a new CEO. Things will change.

flash
17-09-2021, 07:14 AM
Criticism and perceived failings in how he did his job are fast becoming .net fact and based on what? Rumour spread and repeated by a number of posters who are generally (but not exclusively) among the more negative on here.

The chances are that we'll never know who was responsible for what - either good or bad, lucky or unlucky, but the same people will continue to relentlessly add layer upon layer. Those (yes - like myself), who propose a different outlook based on the same available information are criticised as being argumentative. Go figure!

We're speaking about a guy that's been great for Hibs - about a real person and his job , ie. how he makes a living and feeds his family. All based on rumour and supposition.

So yes, it's personal.

I have never met him but by all accounts he is a really nice guy.
I guess by your measure we should never discuss a managers job or whether any players should be moved on?

calumhibee1
17-09-2021, 07:15 AM

So yes, it's personal.

It’s not becoming a .net fact. Brightside clearly doesn’t believe it. You presumably don’t see it as a .net fact. It’s simply a theory that people have suggested could (could being the key word here, as people have been quite clear that what they’re posting isn’t a fact which just makes the .net fact patter even more stupid) have been the reason behind it.

Nobody has called you argumentative on this subject so I’m not sure why you’re suggesting that.

He works in football. That’s the nature of the beast. People speak about how you’re doing in your role whether you’re the centre forward, manager, chairman, stadium announcer or head of the catering.

So no, it’s not in any way personal and the idea it is personal is pretty ridiculous really.

Following on from flash’s post, by your and underscores measures, we should just shut down the forum. Football is a job for everyone at Hibs and it shouldn’t be discussed.

BSEJVT
17-09-2021, 07:17 AM

So yes, it's personal.

There is no doubt it is personal.

A guy who gave us years of good service and results is being hung out to dry by some on the basis of supposition and innuendo.

Debating whether the guy has done a good or bad job is absolutely fair game and whether we can do better is also, the character assassination is unfair, demeaning to both him and us and is unnecessary.

calumhibee1
17-09-2021, 07:18 AM

A guy who gave us years of good service and results is being hung out to dry by some on the basis of supposition and innuendo.

Debating whether the guy has done a good or bad job is absolutely fair game and whether we can do better is also, the character assassination is unfair, demeaning and unnecessary.

What parts of his character have been mentioned? The only mention of his character I’ve seen is that he’s a really nice guy :confused:

bingo70
17-09-2021, 07:20 AM

I’m sure I’ve seen you discussing players wages from an ITK perspective before Brightside, that’s a lot worse in terms of staying respectful IMO.

Mathie is in a high profile job at a football club, people will discuss if he’s good at it or not and for the most part he’s had huge amounts of praise. Now it’s being widely reported he’s being sacked, of course it’s going to be discussed.

Nothing disrespectful about that IMO.

lord bunberry
17-09-2021, 07:22 AM
I guess by your measure we should never discuss a managers job or whether any players should be moved on?
The manager has a clearly defined role at the club, we see every week what he says and whether he is successful or not. That’s not the case with Mathie, we have open criticism without any facts to back it up. Obviously this is a football forum and no aspect of what goes on at the club is out of bounds for discussion, but when people are presenting rumours as facts I find it a bit disappointing, especially when someone is losing their job.

flash

Debating whether the guy has done a good or bad job is absolutely fair game and whether we can do better is also, the character assassination is unfair, demeaning to both him and us and is unnecessary.
Point us in the direction of ant "character assassination". This is getting ridiculous now.

Peevemor

We can see whether a manager is getting anything like the best out of his available players, how he sets up the team, his tactics and tactical changes, the substitions he makes, the sort of players he prefers to sign/play and how he interacts with the media and thus the fans.

We see what players do and don't do when they're playing, we see whether they're unlucky or otherwise with injuries and we get a fair idea of their personality on and off the pitch and what they might bring to the team.

It's far easier to judge how well managers and players are doing their jobs than somebody like Graeme Mathie whose most high profile work ironically has to be carried out in the most confidential manner.

calumhibee1
17-09-2021, 07:23 AM
Point us in the direction of ant "character assassination". This is getting ridiculous now.

He’s a nice guy seems to be the extent of the character assassination.

It’s brutal stuff. Hibs.net certainly isn’t for the faint hearted.

Not In The Know
17-09-2021, 07:25 AM
Had my 5 free reads so can't read it unfortunately 👀
Get the browser duck duck go.

Peevemor
17-09-2021, 07:25 AM
It’s not becoming a .net fact. Brightside clearly doesn’t believe it. You presumably don’t see it as a .net fact. It’s simply a theory that people have suggested could (could being the key word here, as people have been quite clear that what they’re posting isn’t a fact which just makes the .net fact patter even more stupid) have been the reason behind it.

Of course it is. You yourself are suggesting that people should apologise because a rumour has been proved correct (even though it hasn't).

Nobody has called you argumentative on this subject so I’m not sure why you’re suggesting that.

It'll come, don't worry.

He works in football. That’s the nature of the beast. People speak about how you’re doing in your role whether you’re the centre forward, manager, chairman, stadium announcer or head of the catering.

So no, it’s not in any way personal and the idea it is personal is pretty ridiculous really.

Following on from flash’s post, by your and underscores measures, we should just shut down the forum. Football is a job for everyone at Hibs and it shouldn’t be discussed.

See my post above.

BSEJVT
17-09-2021, 07:26 AM
What parts of his character have been mentioned? The only mention of his character I’ve seen is that he’s a really nice guy :confused:

That he is an incompetent?

On the basis of rumour and hearsay

Brightside
I’m sure I’ve seen you discussing players wages from an ITK perspective before Brightside, that’s a lot worse in terms of staying respectful IMO.

Mathie is in a high profile job at a football club, people will discuss if he’s good at it or not and for the most part he’s had huge amounts of praise. Now it’s being widely reported he’s being sacked, of course it’s going to be discussed.

Nothing disrespectful about that IMO.

There are posters on here that claimed he personally ****ed up the transfers on deadline day. Totally made up rumours with no substance. As soon as someone at Hibs says it’s a fact I will apologise to those on here that have taken that rumour and constantly regurgitated it. That’s me done on it. There is no benefit in me being in this discussion.

CapitalGreen

You mean like keeping himself as Chief Exec for far too long and overseeing our 7 year spiral from league cup winners to the Championship?

calumhibee1
We can see whether a manager is getting anything like the best out of his available players, how he sets up the team, his tactics and tactical changes, the substitions he makes, the sort of players he prefers to sign/play and how he interacts with the media and thus the fans.

We see what players do and don't do when they're playing, we see whether they're unlucky or otherwise with injuries and we get a fair idea of their personality on and off the pitch and what they might bring to the team.

It's far easier to judge how well managers and players are doing their jobs than somebody like Graeme Mathie whose most high profile work ironically has to be carried out in the most confidential manner.

And the incidents that people mentioned were no longer confidential such as McCrorie, Ojo, Doig, McGrath. Hence why they’re being discussed.

flash
17-09-2021, 07:27 AM
The manager has a clearly defined role at the club, we see every week what he says and whether he is successful or not. That’s not the case with Mathie, we have open criticism without any facts to back it up. Obviously this is a football forum and no aspect of what goes on at the club is out of bounds for discussion, but when people are presenting rumours as facts I find it a bit disappointing, especially when someone is losing their job.

I know I am banging in and i apologise for that but I don't see this open criticism.
I see people speculating as to the reasons behind what is happening and there's nothing wrong with that.
I think it's pretty widely known that certain people within the club don't have the greatest working relationship just like any other place of work.
It's surely not unreasonable for those of us who pour our hard earned cash into the club to discuss these matters on our own forum.

BSEJVT
17-09-2021, 07:28 AM

Can't get on with the manager

That he is an incompetent

Overplayed his hand on Doig

Failure to get x y & z deals over the line without any knowledge of why they failed

Need I go on?

Peevemor
17-09-2021, 07:29 AM
And the incidents that people mentioned were no longer confidential such as McCrorie, Ojo, Doig, McGrath. Hence why they’re being discussed.

Mathie has spoken about McCrorie, basically saying that we were shafted but without going into details.

As for the rest, we can only speculate as to what happened. You seem to have decided that things happened a certain way and maybe because of a certain person - I don't know and prefer to keep an open mind.

calumhibee1
17-09-2021, 07:29 AM
There are posters on here that claimed he personally ****ed up the transfers on deadline day. Totally made up rumours with no substance. As soon as someone at Hibs says it’s a fact I will apologise to those on here that have taken that rumour and constantly regurgitated it. That’s me done on it. There is no benefit in me being in this discussion.

If only we’d all held your numerous nonsense rumours to the same standard of needing verification from the club themselves.

Peevemor
17-09-2021, 07:30 AM

I'm out too. I have to do some work.

flash
17-09-2021, 07:32 AM

Failure to get x y & z deals over the line without any knowledge of why they failed

Need I go on?

That's not character assassination. People are simply trying to work out why this is happening.
I don't see the incompetent accusations anywhere other than possibly one post on the PM board.

Viva_Palmeiras
17-09-2021, 07:33 AM

I did and it still hit the limit - do you then click on their fire icon and reset everything?

calumhibee1
17-09-2021, 07:33 AM
Mathie has spoken about McCrorie, basically saying that we were shafted but without going into details.

As for the rest, we can only speculate as to what happened. You seem to have decided that things happened a certain way and maybe because of a certain person - I don't know and prefer to keep an open mind.

No, I’ve asked the question as to whether the highly publicised incidents and rumours have caused this. That’s it. I’ve never once claimed anythinn I’ve posted is fact, neither has HC. Infact he couldn’t have stressed the word supposedly enough when he posted his rumour but that didn’t stop the usual suspects piling in and claiming he was posting it as fact.

I’m quite happy to keep an open mind if I think a more plausible version of events is put forward of which there hasn’t been imo.

Most of the stuff discussed on here we can only speculate about. We don’t know what the exact instructions of the 11 players on the pitch are every week but we still talk about their performance. The forum would be a very quiet place if we had to have all the facts from behind the scenes at the club before discussion could commence.

Rumble de Thump
17-09-2021, 07:48 AM
Some people said things like "Jack Ross will be raging because we failed to bring in another striker". There hasn't been a rumour. Just some people's imagination presented as fact.

J-C
17-09-2021, 07:54 AM

Need I go on?

New CEO and a poor finish to the transfer window, then suddenly within a couple of weeks, the papers are saying he's being given the elbow by Hibs. Of course there'll be speculation as to why it's happened, it's only natural, I've not seen one post criticising Mathie on a personal basis but when he suddenly gets the bullet going by 2-3 papers all running the same story, yes we'll discuss it.

Questions will be asked over his ability to do the job after not getting McGrath signed up, the cock up with McRorie and Ojo, puling Doig out of the squad with Ross saying an offer was incoming, only to be added back to the squad with no offers whatsoever for the lad. Rumours that he didn't get on with Ross and Ross himself looking and sounding very frustrated with the transfer window in the last couple of weeks. Is his commute starting to get to him.

No one is having a go at Mathie, we're discussing all this because it looks like a well respected member of staff at Hibs may be losing his job and we're all trying to get our heads round it all, it's only natural to talk about these things on a fans forum.

Coco Bryce
17-09-2021, 07:57 AM
Let's face it. His penny pinching and trying to get players in on the cheap and leaving a very important signing till the very last minute, then failing to get the deal through has cost him his job. Add to that, failing to get a new centre half in before the European games probably cost the club £millions

Ron doesn't sound the type that will not tolerate incompetence to the detriment of the club.

Heisenberg
17-09-2021, 07:58 AM
You mean like keeping himself as Chief Exec for far too long and overseeing our 7 year spiral from league cup winners to the Championship?

Aye but apart from that he was nice and lovely and let people stay in jobs way longer than they should have when we were on the way down because they were “good people”. Real change only happened when he was forced into it through relegation. I’m delighted with the way Ron is doing things so far.

Whatever happened with McCart cost us European progression, IMO. That along with the failings towards the end of the window won’t look good on Mathie.

superfurryhibby
17-09-2021, 07:58 AM
A significant figure at the club leaves in what seems like an unexpected manner. Some posters summarise and speculate as to the reasons for this. So what? Graeme Mathie is a guy who had a significant role at the club, many fans feel the club hasn't performed as it should in the transfer window and attribute this to the person in charge of our recruitment (it's hardly an earth shattering connection to make really, is it?)

Cue wildly random debate that turns quite nasty......

Speculate away, he's (was) head of recruitment/ sporting director, most people can cope with being able to engage their own thought processes on the matter. In my view it's ripe for discussion and a few of the over stimulated shouldn't stifle the conversation.

flash
17-09-2021, 08:00 AM
Some people said things like "Jack Ross will be raging because we failed to bring in another striker". There hasn't been a rumour. Just some people's imagination presented as fact.

Well he used the word frustrated but he was raging.

calumhibee1
17-09-2021, 08:01 AM
A significant figure at the club leaves in what seems like an unexpected manner. Some posters summarise and speculate as to the reasons for this. So what? Graeme Mathie is a guy who had a significant role at the club, many fans feel the club hasn't performed as it should in the transfer window and attribute this to the person in charge of our recruitment (it's hardly an earth shattering connection to make really, is it?)

Speculate away, he's (was) head of recruitment/ sporting director, most people can cope with being able to engage their own thought processes on the matter. In my view it's ripe for discussion and a few of the over stimulated shouldn't stifle the conversation.

:agree:

The idea that this shouldn’t be discussed is simply stupid.

04Sauzee
17-09-2021, 08:04 AM

Fantastic cheers

Allez Hibs
17-09-2021, 08:07 AM

Very good post. I see it as a great opportunity for the club moving forward. There were clearly serious shortcomings in the summer window.

Jones28
17-09-2021, 08:08 AM
Aye but apart from that he was nice and lovely and let people stay in jobs way longer than they should have when we were on the way down because they were “good people”. Real change only happened when he was forced into it through relegation. I’m delighted with the way Ron is doing things so far.

Whatever happened with McCart cost us European progression, IMO. That along with the failings towards the end of the window won’t look good on Mathie.

Well if we're in the business of supposition, what would have the outcry been if it'd been McCart that got sent off in Europe, costing the club in potential revenue and a significant transfer fee to boot? "Mathie's dud has cost us dearly" would be my bet.

BSEJVT
17-09-2021, 08:08 AM
:agree:

The idea that this shouldn’t be discussed is simply stupid.

It absolutely should be discussed but with a bit of respect to the party involved rather than hanging him out to dry on the basis of speculation

calumhibee1
17-09-2021, 08:09 AM
It absolutely should be discussed but with a bit of respect to the party involved rather than hanging him out to dry on the basis of speculation

The idea that he’s being hung out to dry is simply stupid.

Essentially what you’re saying is we should all post “jolly good job sir” and be on our way.

Allez Hibs
17-09-2021, 08:09 AM
Well if we're in the business of supposition, what would have the outcry been if it'd been McCart that got sent off in Europe, costing the club in potential revenue and a significant transfer fee to boot? "Mathie's dud has cost us dearly" would be my bet.

At least we would have had a stronger squad.

calumhibee1
17-09-2021, 08:11 AM

That is incredibly disrespectful to McCart. I’m actually quite disgusted.

O'Rourke3
17-09-2021, 08:11 AM
Let's face it. His penny pinching and trying to get players in on the cheap and leaving a very important signing till the very last minute, then failing to get the deal through has cost him his job. Add to that, failing to get a new centre half in before the European games probably cost the club £millions

Ron doesn't sound the type that will not tolerate incompetence to the detriment of the club.Any actual evidence for any of this assertion?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Allez Hibs
17-09-2021, 08:12 AM
Some people really are taking Mathie moving on personally. It's football, it happens. It should be viewed as a good opportunity for the club to move to the next level.

Heisenberg
17-09-2021, 08:12 AM

It didn’t need to be McCart. We could’ve had Wood (or another) in then to save McGregor having to play. We’ll obviously never know but that’s the transfer that’s baffled me most from the summer. We waited for months on McCart, having had bids rejected already, then didn’t offer anywhere near what St J wanted (according to their manager) before swiftly signing Wood on loan.

Smartie
17-09-2021, 08:13 AM

There are facts - players we signed and didn’t sign.

It’s not unreasonable for fans on a forum to speculate about the reasons behind why those things happen. Some people might even, on occasion, have further fact to back up their opinion.

Football is played out in the public eye and to work in football you need to have a tough exterior for certain things or you’ll never survive.

People aren’t making harmful allegations about his private life here. We’re debating what may or may not have led to someone leaving our club, whether he was performing well enough in his role. I don’t think that’s unreasonable, nor do I think it’s something Mathie wouldn’t expect to happen.

Footballers and others at Hibs need to know how to handle fans forums. They’re nothing new.

Mathie appears to have been popular, much of what has been written about him has been positive. Should we not have speculated about Terry Butcher’s time at the club?

J-C
17-09-2021, 08:15 AM

No one is hanging him out to dry, we're discussing why an important well respected member of the backroom team has suddenly lost his job (going by the papers) and the reasons he may have lost his job, time for you and a couple of others to get a wee grip.

Callum_62
17-09-2021, 08:17 AM
McGrath - Was going south but when that was scrapped our deal was fully on with 3 players agreeing to the transfer. Press reported it was a mistake with paperwork, was it Mathie’s mistake and the final straw?

Was it?

I only seen a rag report a paperwork BUNGLE in the headline but the actual story said we simply ran out of time

Which is what St mirren said too

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Coco Bryce
17-09-2021, 08:19 AM
Any actual evidence for any of this assertion?

These things actually happened and are well documented.

neil7908
17-09-2021, 08:19 AM
The idea that he’s being hung out to dry is simply stupid.

Essentially what you’re saying is we should all post “jolly good job sir” and be on our way.

Agree, I think there is some really weird narratives here. You'd honestly think Mathie was leaving because Hibs.net sacked him, or subjected him to torrents of abuse to force him out.

Let's be clear here - Ron, or someone senior at Hibs has sacked him. From my experience, you don't get sacked for no reason.

Yes we don't know what's happened but it's come 2 weeks after a transfer window where our manager doesn't seem happy with the squad (even though posters on here were called bedwetters for saying the same thing).

After a chunk of posters telling people they were too negative, moaning all the time etc we now have a supposedly frustrated manager and a head of recruitment about to leave. But posters saying Mathie should be sacked 2 weeks ago were derided. Are both JR and Ron bedwetters now?

Jones28
17-09-2021, 08:20 AM
At least we would have had a stronger squad.

Stronger than the unbeaten squad we have already this season?

Greenbeard
17-09-2021, 08:22 AM

Ron doesn't sound the type that will not tolerate incompetence to the detriment of the club.
Hope you don't work in HR Coco.
I'm reminded of a colleague who let out a wee fart at work during an appraisal then the rumour spread that he was getting sacked for taking a dump on the boss's desk.

O'Rourke3
17-09-2021, 08:23 AM
These things actually happened and are well documented.Links then?

Coco Bryce
17-09-2021, 08:23 AM
Was it?

I only seen a rag report a paperwork BUNGLE in the headline but the actual story said
we simply ran out of time

Which is what St mirren said too

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Why did he leave it to the very last minute then?

His responsibility. Had weeks to sort it but messed about and we were left scrambling and it fell through. The buck stops with him.