PDA

View Full Version : Forest sack Hughton

JXM73
16-09-2021, 09:27 AM
Could they be looking at Jack Ross? Best record outside of old firm since he joined us?

Since452
16-09-2021, 09:31 AM
Could they be looking at Jack Ross? Best record outside of old firm since he joined us?

I'd be astonished if they didn't look at him but i think Ross will be here for the foreseeable. Ross is in a good place and Ron is a big fan.

Billy Whizz
16-09-2021, 09:32 AM

Think Jacks worked at one too many basket case clubs. Seemingly fans not happy with the owners

Allez Hibs
16-09-2021, 09:41 AM
Jack Ross would be off his head to take a job in that league just now. Appears secure and comfortable at Hibs and could theoretically last 7 games at a club in that league as it's win quickly or bust.

BG23
16-09-2021, 09:47 AM
More likely to consider Derek Mcinnes as he is experienced and available.

CMurdoch
16-09-2021, 09:50 AM
Think Jacks worked at one too many basket case clubs. Seemingly fans not happy with the owners

Ross is pragmatic.
No way he would consider moving to Forest.
They are in a real mess.
Brought a few players in this summer but none on fees.
1 point in 5 league games tells the story.
Watched the highlights last night.
Grabban not scoring up front, McKenna and Worrall not keeping them out at the end along with the keeper Horvath, who majorly messed up for the 2nd goal.
Looking at their squad, it looks a real mix of random players from around the world.
A real football manager game recruiting effort.

blackpoolhibs
16-09-2021, 09:53 AM
Jack Ross would be off his head to take a job in that league just now. Appears secure and comfortable at Hibs and could theoretically last 7 games at a club in that league as it's win quickly or bust.

Dont kid yourself, there were idiots just last season who wanted him sacked. A couple of bad loses and they will be back again.

Jones28
16-09-2021, 09:56 AM
He had his fingers burnt at Sunderland, he’s building something here and has already had experiences with Hibs he’d be nowhere near with a lower championship club - Europe and National finals.

Wilson
16-09-2021, 09:59 AM
He had his fingers burnt at Sunderland, he’s building something here and has already had experiences with Hibs he’d be nowhere near with a lower championship club - Europe and National finals.

Agree with this. Forest is a big job but they are far away from former glories. Jack Ross shouldn't touch it.

Juniper Greens
16-09-2021, 10:03 AM
Mcinnes is a decent shout for this. Would work well with McKenna needing a bit of support as his form has dipped

Magpie
16-09-2021, 10:16 AM
I don’t think the Forest fans would be satisfied with the appointment of Ross.

ScottB
16-09-2021, 10:28 AM
Not sure why Ross would be a stand out candidate really?

Not a dig by any means, but for those less familiar with the league looking in, McIness, who is available, has a more impressive record, and even just taking last season into account, eyes might be drawn to Davidson winning both cups before Ross.

Even assuming Forest bother to look up here, which doesn’t really seem likely in the first place.

Ross has been to England, got his fingers burned and come back. Would he want to go back? Probably, but not for another job that would be a risk. Would such a job, a big, Championship club with designs on promotion, have Ross near the top of their wanted list? Not yet for me. Bag a Cup or 2, maybe a run in Europe or a real go at staying in touching distance with the Old Firm would do it.

Hibbyradge
16-09-2021, 10:47 AM
They'd be daft not to consider him, tbh.

Whether or not they could offer enough to take him from Hibs is another matter. :dunno:

EHZERO7
16-09-2021, 10:47 AM
Chris Wilder and Steve Cooper early names mentioned

Highwayman
16-09-2021, 10:49 AM
Nobody’s mentioned Eddie Howe recently in connection with managerial vacancies.
Is he still out of work or is Nottingham too far north for him.
Would be surprised if Jack Ross was considered as a candidate.
Out of work managers like Derek McInnes and Neil Lennon might be looked on by Forest as cheaper options to acquire.

lord bunberry
16-09-2021, 10:52 AM
Chris Wilder and Steve Cooper early names mentioned
Wilder would be an obvious choice, he did an amazing job at Sheffield Utd.

Allez Hibs
16-09-2021, 10:52 AM
They'd be daft not to consider him, tbh.

Whether or not they could offer enough to take him from Hibs is another matter. :dunno:

As has been mentioned, McInnes is a far more qualified option anyway. He's won a trophy, split the old firm, finished 2nd multiple times and consistently got Aberdeen to Finals.

hibsforeurope
16-09-2021, 10:53 AM
If Ross does leave i wonder how long it will take Hibs to appoint Jim Goodwin as his successor.

Groathillgrump
Ross is pragmatic.
They are in a real mess.
Grabban not scoring up front, McKenna and Worrall not keeping them out at the end along with the keeper Horvath, who majorly messed up for the 2nd goal.
Looking at their squad, it looks a real mix of random players from around the world.

It's even worse than that, it's 1 point from 7 league games. It'll be a brave man to try and turn that form around.

Since452
I think when the time comes when a club comes in for Ross, Ron Gordon will be slapping an improved contract down in front of him. I'm not concerned about losing Ross. Not like I was with McLeish and Mowbray. We are a different animal these days.

Allez Hibs
16-09-2021, 10:56 AM
if ross does leave i wonder how long it will take hibs to appoint jim goodwin as his successor.

lol

Allez Hibs
16-09-2021, 10:58 AM
Dont kid yourself, there were idiots just last season who wanted him sacked. A couple of bad loses and they will be back again.

After the start this season and we look right on track to match last season, I'd say he's here for a while.

Yorkshire HFC
16-09-2021, 11:07 AM
Ross is pragmatic.
They are in a real mess.

What happens if they offer to double his wage - why would he not consider it?

Is It On....
16-09-2021, 11:07 AM
Wilder would be an obvious choice, he did an amazing job at Sheffield Utd.

Chris Wilder is the obvious choice but would he want to work for another crazy owner though?

mayo hibee
16-09-2021, 11:15 AM
If Ross does leave i wonder how long it will take Hibs to appoint Jim Goodwin as his successor.

It would be almost a certainty. Would be a decent appointment as well.

I think it's naive to think that Ross wouldn't be keen to move on if a good job in the Championship came up for him. Nottingham Forest is not a good job though, he'd be crazy to seriously consider that one.

Pagan Hibernia
16-09-2021, 11:19 AM
Why would they be looking at Jack Ross when Craig Levein is available

Allez Hibs
16-09-2021, 11:21 AM
It would be almost a certainty. Would be a decent appointment as well.

Would it??? Don't think so.

I'd want McInnes if he was available.

Pagan Hibernia
16-09-2021, 11:23 AM
Would it??? Don't think so.

I'd want McInnes if he was available.

god no. Eye bleeding football

Cod Boy

We should just take over st Mirren 😂

Caversham Green
Frank Lampard strikes me as the stand out candidate if he'd take the job.

Edit: for the Forest job, not Hibs if Ross goes.

Smartie
16-09-2021, 11:35 AM
Forest are a good club with potential.

Obviously a lot depends on owners etc, and it sounds like theirs aren’t great right now.

As “basket case” as clubs like Sunderland and Forest might appear, you’d forgive a manager for wanting to have a bash at bringing success there.

As clubs, they certainly appeal much more to me than the likes of Bournemouth, Wigan etc.

Allez Hibs
16-09-2021, 11:39 AM

Obviously a lot depends on owners etc, and it sounds like theirs aren’t great right now.

As “basket case” as clubs like Sunderland and Forest might appear, you’d forgive a manager for wanting to have a bash at bringing success there.

As clubs, they certainly appeal much more to me than the likes of Bournemouth, Wigan etc.

Is JR qualified enough for a job like Forest though? He's a couple of seasons away from it provided he gets consistent high finishes and a regular chance of silverware for me. Chris Hughton is a decent manager to be fair.

McInnes is the most successful manager outside the old firm in recent times and he's still out of work.

Has there been a Scottish manager that's went from a Scottish club and been successful recently in that league? Very tough league. The most recent I can think of is Billy Davies and Mowbray.

FilipinoHibs
16-09-2021, 11:39 AM

Even this season!

Pagan Hibernia
16-09-2021, 11:43 AM

absolutely. Forest are a wonderful old club with a romantic history and I really hope they get their act together. If it was good enough for Brian Clough it’s good enough for anyone.

Billy Whizz
16-09-2021, 11:44 AM

Saints fans not overly happy with him just now, got a worse record his season than Stubbs had with them. Hope this continues on Saturday

Allez Hibs
16-09-2021, 11:45 AM

Why???

Smartie
16-09-2021, 11:50 AM
Is JR qualified enough for a job like Forest though? He's a couple of seasons away from it provided he gets consistent high finishes and a regular chance of silverware for me. Chris Hughton is a decent manager to be fair.

McInnes is the most successful manager outside the old firm in recent times and he's still out of work.

Has there been a Scottish manager that's went from a Scottish club and been successful recently in that league? Very tough league. The most recent I can think of is Billy Davies and Mowbray.

Depends on what the criteria are for being qualified enough.

If it’s being a good manager then I’d say he’s qualified.

If it’s juggling bonkers owners, having no money to spend, an expectant fan base on your back and a squad of poor players and trying to make them successful then I suspect he’s as ill-equipped as anyone.

Chris Hughton is a good manager. I guess alarm bells should be ringing when he struggles.

I’d just forgive a manager fancying a crack at it, that’s all, because if he could get it right then they’re a club who you’d expect to be able to move a good bit up from where they are now.

Although the same is true of Sunderland, and that didn’t work out great for him.

Billy Whizz
16-09-2021, 11:52 AM
When were Forest last in the top league in England, seems like a while ago

Pagan Hibernia
16-09-2021, 11:59 AM
When were Forest last in the top league in England, seems like a while ago

1998-99

Since452
16-09-2021, 12:04 PM

He's already managed a bigger club than Forest so i'd imagine so.

Allez Hibs
16-09-2021, 12:07 PM
He's already managed a bigger club than Forest so i'd imagine so.

Forrest are a bigger club than Sunderland.

Sunderland are like the misnomer with Newcastle being regarded as a big club. They both last had proper success about 50+ years ago. Newcastle haven't been past the League Cup Quarter Finals down there in about 45 years.

They've got the stadiums, but not a lot else. Look at Kilmarnock up here! They give two stands to the old firm when they play them because they have a big stadium.

loanheadhibby
16-09-2021, 12:11 PM

Deary me......

Forest are a big club, great support and should be challenging at top end of championship.

I wonder if John terry will throw his hat in the ring. You'd expect Wilder, Lampard and Terry may be in with a shout. I cant see them going for McInnes or Jack Ross.

Allez Hibs
16-09-2021, 12:16 PM
Deary me......

Yes, a bit harsh, Hibs fans all the same at the end of the day.

scuttle
16-09-2021, 12:16 PM
Wee sneaky feeling it will be John Terry

Billy Whizz
16-09-2021, 12:19 PM
1998-99

This is a long long time ago

Wilson
16-09-2021, 12:22 PM
This is a long long time ago

Rubbish. It's happened since hearts last won the league cup.

Smartie
16-09-2021, 12:24 PM
Forrest are a bigger club than Sunderland.

Sunderland are like the misnomer with Newcastle being regarded as a big club. They both last had proper success about 50+ years ago. Newcastle haven't been past the League Cup Quarter Finals down there in about 45 years.

They've got the stadiums, but not a lot else. Look at Kilmarnock up here! They give two stands to the old firm when they play them because they have a big stadium.

Depends on the criteria for being “a big club”.

It wasn’t that long ago that Sunderland were in the top league, and even though they were battling at the wrong end of the table their attendances consistently sat 5th - 7th in the country.

They’re not big in the Man Utd /Liverpool global support sense but when they get a team on the park that’s not utterly pish, they get a decent number of paying customers going along to watch them regularly.

Allez Hibs
16-09-2021, 12:27 PM
Depends on the criteria for being “a big club”.

It wasn’t that long ago that Sunderland were in the top league, and even though they were battling at the wrong end of the table their attendances consistently sat 5th - 7th in the country.

They’re not big in the Man Utd /Liverpool global support sense but when they get a team on the park that’s not utterly pish, they get a decent number of paying customers going along to watch them regularly.

Forrest have won the European Cup... Twice!
Plenty Cup finals in 80s/90s too.

loanheadhibby
16-09-2021, 01:02 PM
Forrest have won the European Cup... Twice!
Plenty Cup finals in 80s/90s too.

Forest had a fantastic record back in the day. Always thought of them a bit like Dundee Utd but on a much bigger scales. The old analogy of supermarket vs corner shop.

Forest did it against a supreme Liverpool team as well.

oneone73
16-09-2021, 01:03 PM
Forest had a fantastic record back in the day. Always thought of them a bit like Dundee Utd but on a much bigger scales. The old analogy of supermarket vs corner shop.

Forest did it against a supreme Liverpool team as well.

Forest won the league once.

PatHead
16-09-2021, 01:05 PM

St. Hibernian?

Scottie
16-09-2021, 01:09 PM
Nobody’s mentioned Eddie Howe recently in connection with managerial vacancies.

Everyone knows he gets a nose bleed anywhere north of Watford.

loanheadhibby
16-09-2021, 01:16 PM

Yes they were up against the cream of Europe in their own league. Liverpool were dominant around that time. Villa won the European cup in the same period (possibly 82).

I think Forest may have signed the 1st £1 million pound player in Trevor Francis. That signing was apparently to get them closer to Liverpool.

JimBHibees
16-09-2021, 02:02 PM

And the European cup twice.

Smartie
16-09-2021, 02:09 PM
It must be a bit weird to be a Forest fan.

Being the age I am, I know a fair few central belt Aberdeen fans. They’ve had an uneasy transition over time from being a top side who win things to being pish in the grand scheme of things.

It must be mad to go from having the players Forest had, to have Cloughie, to have European cup wins an a league title to getting through a manager a year and hoping your team avoids being relegated to the English third tier.

Whilst Forest are considered “provincial” in some ways, they’re still a big city club imo.

J-C
16-09-2021, 02:31 PM
Ross had experience at Sunderland, so will be wary of club like Nottingham Forest, hopefully enough experience to keep away from them if approached.

lord bunberry
16-09-2021, 02:35 PM
Forest are just like Aberdeen, a team living off past glories while more forward looking clubs leave them in their wake.

JXM73
16-09-2021, 02:41 PM
Wee sneaky feeling it will be John Terry

Think he's already distancing himself from it, though expect him at the city ground in full kit in time for the six o'clock news.

Stonewall
16-09-2021, 03:18 PM
Ross had experience at Sunderland, so will be wary of club like Nottingham Forest, hopefully enough experience to keep away from them if approached.

19 managers listed in the last 10 years (although I assume some are caretakers)

That sounds to me like one hell of a risky job to take unless you’re out of work.

hibbyfraelibby
16-09-2021, 06:33 PM
Why would they be looking at Jack Ross when Craig Levein is available

Brechin looking for too much compo😊

PatHead
16-09-2021, 08:47 PM
Steven Gerrard? His stock will be at a high now and they're not performing at the same level now.

Lancs Harp
16-09-2021, 09:04 PM
I remember Forest of old playing an epic European cup tie against Cologne in a semi final, 3-3 in Nottingham and a 1-0 win in Cologne, I think Cologne might have beaten rangers in the previous round. Cant remember if it was the same season but remember them roasting AEK 5-1 at the City Ground. Very good side but if remember correctly both of their European Cup finals were a little dull (not that Forest fans would care about that obviously)

stu in nottingham
18-09-2021, 12:48 AM
I'm not sure I've seen Forest in such a state since the early 1970s when they were toiling in the old Second Division pre-Clough. They have appeared in League 1 but I felt they had more potential then in some ways. There seems to be something very wrong in the way the club is run. The majority of clubs tend to hire and fire managers as we know but Forest's record for this is apalling. They have tried literally everything, experienced managers such as, going back, Atkinson, McClaren, McLeish (before walking out after five minutes). They've tried former heroes such as Martin O'Neill and Stuart Pearce, young up-and-coming bosses and European managers too, nothing has worked.

Many believe that the problems lie in the areas between the manager and the owner in the club's structure. The club's owner, Marinakis is a dubious character, albeit very rich, also the owner of Olympiacos who he appears to have more interest in. The playing staff is always overblown in size with regular new signings tending to be of a similar ordinary quality, usually European. I think Hughton is a decent manager and he's certainly cleared out a lot of dead wood. He has somewhat been the architect of his own downfall though.

Player-wise, Grabban is getting older and left chasing long punts at head height most of the time, not his game. Worrall and McKenna generally do a decent job at the back but the problem for a long time has been in scoring goals. Perhaps the most un-Forest-like aspect is the team's thoroughly boring and drab football. The last few managers have tended to have a similar plodding and defensive style which really, really does not suit the Forest faithful. They expect the Reds to move the ball around on the ground.

Apparently, there were 24,000 fans there for Forest's dismal 0-2 defeat in midweek versus Boro, a good turn-out. A friend tells me there were barely 2,000 there when the final whistle blew - 'barely enough to boo them off the pitch' as he said.

It seems like Steve Cooper will be appointed shortly with the only other name being mentioned seriously being Wilder, good luck to him, he's really going to need it. Forest certainly do have a great and romantic history - a long one too - they're a club I've a soft spot for for obvious reasons and I find it all very sad. They brought a heck of a lot of pride to this city when they conquered Europe twice, held their own against the very best and feared no one. Sadly, all a distant memory now.

davy67 +
18-09-2021, 05:04 AM
I read an article in yesterday's i paper apparently Forest have appointed a new manager every year since 2010 , 15 permanent managers in a decade now and none of the 13 previous incumbents have lasted more than 60 matches . To me that shows that it's not just the manager that's the problem , change of ownership doesn't seem to have helped either , another club desperately trying to live up to past glories .

stu in nottingham
18-09-2021, 11:26 AM
I read an article in yesterday's i paper apparently Forest have appointed a new manager every year since 2010 , 15 permanent managers in a decade now and none of the 13 previous incumbents have lasted more than 60 matches . To me that shows that it's not just the manager that's the problem , change of ownership doesn't seem to have helped either , another club desperately trying to live up to past glories .

Exactly. All of these managers are considered 'unsuccessful but there is way more going wrong at that club than simply blaming managers as a common denominator when things go wrong. Forest have always. for decades, had a great youth set-up and this has been criminally ingnored in recent times for the sake of one expensive and ineffective journeyman after another. Like many clubs, some of their greatest talent was home reared. I get the feeling that some (ahem) 'deals' of the laundering variety have been done via this plethora of foreign players appearing and due to Mr Marinakas' influence.

I'm not a great fan of Hughton's style but what he has done at Forest is trim a squad that needed pruning years ago. He's done a good job of that but won't be the one to see the benefit. Anyway, it's looking odds-on for Steve Cooper this morning. I wouldn't suggest him consulting Rightmove or Zoopla just yet.

BILLYHIBS
21-09-2021, 11:22 AM
Notts Forrest appoint Steve Cooper as Head Coach after agreeing compensation with Swansea City

BBC Sport

Since452
21-09-2021, 11:43 AM
Notts Forrest appoint Steve Cooper as Head Coach after agreeing compensation with Swansea City

BBC Sport

Will Swansea be looking at Jack Ross? :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
21-09-2021, 11:54 AM
Naw still cannae win big games :greengrin

FilipinoHibs
21-09-2021, 11:57 AM

JR must go!

Keyser Sauzee
21-09-2021, 01:01 PM

BBC Sport
I’m sure Cooper left Swansea in July, wonder why compensation with Swansea is necessary if yes no longer with them?

EHZERO7
21-09-2021, 01:06 PM

Don’t think Russell Martin would be too happy 😂😂

BILLYHIBS
21-09-2021, 01:10 PM
I’m sure Cooper left Swansea in July, wonder why compensation with Swansea is necessary if yes no longer with them?
Left in July but still under contract so under Football League rules compo due 1.2 m

lord bunberry
21-09-2021, 01:59 PM

BBC Sport
Is he the guy that looks like he’s not had a decent nights sleep for decades?

BILLYHIBS
21-09-2021, 02:00 PM
:agree:

Looks like one of the goonies

JimBHibees
21-09-2021, 02:15 PM

Probably still trying to get over his Hibs legendary play off contribution for Airdrie when he scored an own goal for us in first leg and missed a penalty in the second. :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
21-09-2021, 03:30 PM
Probably still trying to get over his Hibs legendary play off contribution for Airdrie when he scored an own goal for us in first leg and missed a penalty in the second. :greengrin

Different guy Jim

Pretty sure that Steve Cooper passed away quite young IIRC

RIP

tamig
21-09-2021, 04:09 PM
Different guy Jim

RIP

That’s right. Big blond striker. RIP.

stu in nottingham
21-09-2021, 11:16 PM

BBC Sport

Never 'Notts' Forest, Billy - always Nottingham Forest (and Notts County). They get really sniffy about it. :greengrin

Curious really because Notts are in Nottingham while Forest are in the county!

Seemed like it was always to be Cooper from Saturday morning on. I hope for their sake they've done a bit of research on this one, that manager's parking spot in the City Ground car park has become a revolving door.

JimBHibees
22-09-2021, 05:52 AM
Different guy Jim

RIP

Oops apologies didn't realise that.

BILLYHIBS
22-09-2021, 07:03 AM
Never 'Notts' Forest, Billy - always Nottingham Forest (and Notts County). They get really sniffy about it. :greengrin

Curious really because Notts are in Nottingham while Forest are in the county!

Seemed like it was always to be Cooper from Saturday morning on. I hope for their sake they've done a bit of research on this one, that manager's parking spot in the City Ground car park has become a revolving door.

Oops!

Every day is a school day

I just thought they were either side of Trent in the same town

Never been

jacomo
22-09-2021, 07:14 AM
Exactly. All of these managers are considered 'unsuccessful but there is way more going wrong at that club than simply blaming managers as a common denominator when things go wrong. Forest have always. for decades, had a great youth set-up and this has been criminally ingnored in recent times for the sake of one expensive and ineffective journeyman after another. Like many clubs, some of their greatest talent was home reared. I get the feeling that some (ahem) 'deals' of the laundering variety have been done via this plethora of foreign players appearing and due to Mr Marinakas' influence.

I'm not a great fan of Hughton's style but what he has done at Forest is trim a squad that needed pruning years ago. He's done a good job of that but won't be the one to see the benefit. Anyway, it's looking odds-on for Steve Cooper this morning. I wouldn't suggest him consulting Rightmove or Zoopla just yet.

Terrible to see what’s happened at Forest.

As you say, a club that’s achieved incredible things in the past with a real preference for good football.

stu in nottingham
22-09-2021, 08:35 AM
Oops!

Every day is a school day

I just thought they were either side of Trent in the same town

Never been

You're right they are very close together with only the Dundee teams being closer. The river is the city boundary just there and Forest are just outside it and Notts within it.

BILLYHIBS
22-09-2021, 08:44 AM
You're right they are very close together with only the Dundee teams being closer. The river is the city boundary just there and Forest are just outside it and Notts within it.

Thought as much

I have read all the Cloughie , Robertson and McGovern books

They spoke about going for a run along the banks of the Trent

All a great read

stu in nottingham
22-09-2021, 01:22 PM
Thought as much

I have read all the Cloughie , Robertson and McGovern books

They spoke about going for a run along the banks of the Trent

All a great read

Did they mention some of the 'training sessions' on the banks of the Trent? Cloughie used to take his dog for a walk by the river and take the players along with him.

I remember once he sent the players home for a couple of days and told them to 'rest'. It got back to Clough that Frank Clark had been seen out jogging around his local village so he fined him a weeks' wages when he got back to the City Ground!

Trained hard pre-season, not so much during it. Mind, you don't need to much when you're playing every Saturday-Wednesday because you're challenging hard in every single competition.

Highwayman
22-09-2021, 03:06 PM
The fact that Forest have chosen to take Steve Cooper of the ever revolving English management carousel is a further indication that English clubs are currently not really interested in Scottish managers.
Unless there’s something happened today undernoted is the list of Scottish managers currently in the English leagues.
1) David Moyes-West Ham.2)Darren Ferguson- Peterborough United.3)Frankie McAvoy-Preston North End.4)Russel Martin-Swansea.5)Steve Evans-Gillingham.6)Derek Adams -Bradford City.7)Robbie Stockdale-Rochdale.8)Mickey Mellon-Tranmere Rovers.
8 out of 94 clubs circa 8% is not a big input.
As far as I am aware there has been no real interest in two of the most successful managers in the Scottish Premiership last season namely Jack Ross and Calum Davidson.
Nor has there been any interest in taking on Derek McInnes,Neil Lennon or Brian Rice in England.
This may be a rather convoluted way of stating that there is no need for the alarm bells to start going off on .net every time a managerial post becomes vacant in England in case they come looking for Jack Ross.