PDA

View Full Version : Ronaldo's Transfer to Man Utd

pollution
15-09-2021, 05:59 PM
I believe that Juventus received £20 million approx for a player they signed for £95 million.

Are my figures correct and if so has there ever been a more deflated loss in recent memory ?

MWHIBBIES
15-09-2021, 06:04 PM
Barcelona would lose more if they could actually shift Coutinho Mbappe is about to leave PSG for free, he cost them 180 million.

hibee
15-09-2021, 06:08 PM
I wouldn’t say Ronald was a loss considering he done quite well there and sold a few shirts!

Guys like Fernando Torres at Chelsea or Kaka at Madrid cost each of them over £40m and didn’t contribute that much in their time at the clubs.

Alex Trager
15-09-2021, 06:10 PM
I wouldn’t say Ronald was a loss considering he done quite well there and sold a few shirts!

Guys like Fernando Torres at Chelsea or Kaka at Madrid cost each of them over £40m and didn’t contribute that much in their time at the clubs.

Though Torres did take Chelsea through to the CL final in Barca, or sealed it I think

hibee
15-09-2021, 06:17 PM
Though Torres did take Chelsea through to the CL final in Barca, or sealed it I think

Yes you’re right, I’d completely forgotten about that!

HibbyAndy
15-09-2021, 06:17 PM

He did , But Chelsea got nowhere near the Torres that ripped it up at Liverpool

AugustaHibs
15-09-2021, 06:20 PM
Pogba being released for nothing to be bought back for 90 million is the worst imo.

HibbyAndy
15-09-2021, 06:21 PM
Pogba being released for nothing to be bought back for 90 million is the worst imo.

Then will probably leave on a free AGAIN

calumhibee1
15-09-2021, 06:25 PM
I believe that Juventus received £20 million approx for a player they signed for £95 million.

Are my figures correct and if so has there ever been a more deflated loss in recent memory ?

From purely transfer fee perspectives probably not. Keep in mind though that Ronaldo most likely made Juve a lot more than they lost on him and they’ll have done alright.

jacomo
15-09-2021, 07:10 PM
From purely transfer fee perspectives probably not. Keep in mind though that Ronaldo most likely made Juve a lot more than they lost on him and they’ll have done alright.

This transfer fee does not include his salary, estimated at around £25m a year. This means Ronaldo cost Juve at least £50m per season.

Did they really make that back through increased shirt sales and other commercial income? Really?

I think there’s a lot of creative accounting at the elite end of football.

easty
15-09-2021, 07:21 PM
This transfer fee does not include his salary, estimated at around £25m a year. This means Ronaldo cost Juve at least £50m per season.

Did they really make that back through increased shirt sales and other commercial income? Really?

I read a few things saying it’d smashed the record for strips sold, just checked now and it was apparently £187m in Ronaldo strip sales since he joined (https://www.sportbible.com/football/cristiano-ronaldos-man-united-shirt-sales-have-reached-187-million-20210910)

danhibees1875
15-09-2021, 08:08 PM
I read a few things saying it’d smashed the record for strips sold, just checked now and it was apparently £187m in Ronaldo strip sales since he joined (https://www.sportbible.com/football/cristiano-ronaldos-man-united-shirt-sales-have-reached-187-million-20210910)

I was going to ask how many of them would have bought a shirt anyway and only happened to get Ronaldo because it was an option now... But then I remembered how out of touch I am with "elite" football and that maybe it's the case that people genuinely have bought a CR7 United top purely because of him.

I think I read United get 10% of that too - so they're doing not too bad!

calumhibee1
15-09-2021, 08:12 PM

Someone posted a good video recently about the creative accounting that you mention but I can’t for the life of me find it.

I couldn’t get my head round it, but it was basically showing ways that clubs avoid falling foul of FFP and essentially finding ways of showing what would look to be a huge loss to the regular person to look like a huge gain in the accounts. Think Man Utd and Di Maria was the prime example used. I’ll make up the numbers for an example:

Something along the lines of the original deal including £50m fee + £50m contract would cost £100m over 5 years but because they sold him after 1 year for £30m this meant they saved £40m on wages. The ‘profit’ would show as £10m (£60m spent in total on fee and wages, £30m fee received and £40m wages saved = £70m ‘gained’) rather than a £30m loss.

I don’t really get how you’re allowed to do it but apparently they do.

Edit: and after all that, I have found the video!

https://youtu.be/wHgRiDvPzNY

jacomo
15-09-2021, 08:27 PM

Ok but £187m in sales isn’t £187m profit…

It increasingly feels like football operates in a bubble - when it pops, lots of commentators will say it was *obvious* that the numbers didn’t stack up

jacomo
15-09-2021, 08:34 PM
Someone posted a good video recently about the creative accounting that you mention but I can’t for the life of me find it.

I couldn’t get my head round it, but it was basically showing ways that clubs avoid falling foul of FFP and essentially finding ways of showing what would look to be a huge loss to the regular person to look like a huge gain in the accounts. Think Man Utd and Di Maria was the prime example used. I’ll make up the numbers for an example:

Something along the lines of the original deal including £50m fee + £50m contract would cost £100m over 5 years but because they sold him after 1 year for £30m this meant they saved £40m on wages. The ‘profit’ would show as £10m (£60m spent in total on fee and wages, £30m fee received and £40m wages saved = £70m ‘gained’) rather than a £30m loss.

I don’t really get how you’re allowed to do it but apparently they do.

Edit: and after all that, I have found the video!

https://youtu.be/wHgRiDvPzNY

Thanks for posting.

I do get that transfer fees can amortised across the length of a contract, and that is quite legitimate. For example, Grealish wouldn’t be shown as a £100m hit to Citeh in summer 2021, but £20m a year for the next five years.

But the rest of it is taking the p*** quite frankly. Mind you, it’s just what a lot of companies in any sector would do.