PDA

View Full Version : Pat Stanton stand

Hibees1973
13-09-2021, 07:38 PM
Know there is another thread dedicated to Pat Stanton about his birthday today. All the best, Pat.

My opinion is that Pat is the best player I have seen in a Hibs jersey. He has represented the club with distinction on and off the field for decades. I know other Hibs fans may have other choices from different generations, particularly from the Famous Five, or even the 2016 cup final team. But Pat is mine and also many other Hibs fans I know.

Why has one of our stands never been named after this Hibs living legend. We already have a Famous Five stand. I suggest the club name the East Stand after Pat Stanton. It be appropriate for the current board at Hibs to recognise properly what Pat has given to the club. Would there be a better way than to name a stand after him? Even better to do it now, when Pat would be able to understand what the Hibs support feel about him. Some stands are named after players who have passed away, when it is too late to be properly appreciated.

Don't know what other people on hibs.net feel about this?. Surely someone at Hibs, with some influence, read these pages and can set the wheels in motion to get this done.

WoreTheGreen
13-09-2021, 07:40 PM
Know there is another thread dedicated to Pat Stanton about his birthday today. All the best, Pat.

My opinion is that Pat is the best player I have seen in a Hibs jersey. He has represented the club with distinction on and off the field for decades. I know other Hibs fans may have other choices from different generations, particularly from the Famous Five, or even the 2016 cup final team. But Pat is mine and also many other Hibs fans I know.

Why has one of our stands never been named after this Hibs living legend. We already have a Famous Five stand. I suggest the club name the East Stand after Pat Stanton. It be appropriate for the current board at Hibs to recognise properly what Pat has given to the club. Would there be a better way than to name a stand after him? Even better to do it now, when Pat would be able to understand what the Hibs support feel about him. Some stands are named after players who have passed away, when it is too late to be properly appreciated.

Don't know what other people on hibs.net feel about this?. Surely someone at Hibs, with some influence, read these pages and can set the wheels in motion to get this done.

Yeah 100%

superfurryhibby
13-09-2021, 07:42 PM

I've often thought that naming a stand after Stanton would be hugely popular and a wonderful way to celebrate an all time great Hibernian. Getting it done is a very different matter though.

Diclonius
13-09-2021, 07:42 PM
Pat Standon

lord bunberry
13-09-2021, 07:49 PM
I’ve nothing against naming a stand after him, but like a huge number of fans I never ever seen him play. Obviously I didn’t see the famous five either and they’ve got a stand named after them. Maybe a tornadoes stand would be better.

Peevemor
13-09-2021, 08:07 PM
It won't happen while he's still with us and hopefully it'll be a long time before that changes.

expresso
13-09-2021, 09:11 PM
100%
Pat was my first Hibs hero a smashing player and a true gentleman.
Fortune enough to meet him a couple of times and he was very happy to chat.

CentreLine
13-09-2021, 09:13 PM
Not for me. An outstanding player and servant to Hibs but why just Pat Stanton? what about the other Tornadoes? We don’t have enough stands to honour just one player at a time in my view.
Maybe The Tornadoes stand though?
Then there are various important people in our history, from founders to chairmen, managers to groundsmen. Not to mention an incredible list of great players.
Sorry Pat, loved every time you stepped out on the park with a Hibs strip on and a Scotland strip for that matter. Celtic strip? Not so much but you still deserved our respect and was delighted to see you gain league and cup medals. However, naming a stand has to involve a broader brush fir me.

leith lynx
13-09-2021, 10:37 PM
Not for me. An outstanding player and servant to Hibs but why just Pat Stanton? what about the other Tornadoes? We don’t have enough stands to honour just one player at a time in my view.
Then there are various important people in our history, from founders to chairmen, managers to groundsmen. Not to mention an incredible list of great players.
Sorry Pat, loved every time you stepped out on the park with a Hibs strip on and a Scotland strip for that matter. Celtic strip? Not so much but you still deserved our respect and was delighted to see you gain league and cup medals. However, naming a stand has to involve a broader brush fir me.
Respectfully disagree, Pat Stanton lived the dream and represented Hibernian with pride and dignity and the fans leader of the tornadoes, also a true gentleman with blood roots to the formation of Hibernian FC, the Stanton Stand sounds just right.

Since452
14-09-2021, 05:43 AM
I think the famous five have far more reach to be honest. For someone who was too young to see both, I know far more about the FF than Pat Stanton. Not saying Pat Stanton isn't a Hibs legend but I'd guess he's far more of a legend for the guys that went in the 70's than the average punter that didn't see him play. Would probably be like me trying tell my son about Franck Sauzee. Not sure I'd want a stand named after him. Would much rather have the Sir Tom Farmer stand if anything.

One Day
14-09-2021, 06:22 AM
yes 100%. Get it done hibs

CentreLine
14-09-2021, 06:43 AM
Respectfully disagree, Pat Stanton lived the dream and represented Hibernian with pride and dignity and the fans leader of the tornadoes, also a true gentleman with blood roots to the formation of Hibernian FC, the Stanton Stand sounds just right.

It seems odd to me to be debating a club legend like Pat Stanton who all of us, who saw him play, loved. But why not Joe Baker? Or Jimmy O’Rourke? Maybe Alex Cropley? Alley McLeod or Jackie Macnamara? The list goes on and on.

Each one of the Famous Five deserved recognition but we have a collective FF stand. If a stand was to be named then I’d suggest The Tornadoes Stand covers it.

adam middlemass
14-09-2021, 06:55 AM
It seems odd to me to be debating a club legend like Pat Stanton who all of us, who saw him play, loved. But why not Joe Baker? Or Jimmy O’Rourke? Maybe Alex Cropley? Alley McLeod or Jackie Macnamara? The list goes on and on.

Each one of the Famous Five deserved recognition but we have a collective FF stand. If a stand was to be named then I’d suggest The Tornadoes Stand covers it.
Yes, Pat Stanton was my all time favourite Hibs player, but I think naming it after the Tornadoes would be more appropriate. :not worth

Crunchie
14-09-2021, 08:06 AM
I think the famous five have far more reach to be honest. For someone who was too young to see both, I know far more about the FF than Pat Stanton. Not saying Pat Stanton isn't a Hibs legend but I'd guess he's far more of a legend for the guys that went in the 70's than the average punter that didn't see him play. Would probably be like me trying tell my son about Franck Sauzee. Not sure I'd want a stand named after him. Would much rather have the Sir Tom Farmer stand if anything.
As much as I loved the guy as a player I too would rather see Sir Tom recognised for his contribution to the club.

hibbie02
14-09-2021, 08:07 AM

I have met and spoken to Pat many times and it is always a thrill to talk to him (even at my age). One thing that is very clear to me is that, even though he is aware of his "status" with the fans, he nearly always refers to the players he played with in the Tornadoes and what they all achieved. Whilst Pat was always going to be a Hibs Great, would he have been the Hero he is now without the rest of the Tornadoes? My personal opinion (only that) is that a stand named after the Tornadoes would be the way to go and Pat would probably love that.

Itsnoteasy
14-09-2021, 08:47 AM

Groundsman 🤔

CMurdoch
14-09-2021, 09:02 AM
The Petrie Stand :wink:

AltheHibby
14-09-2021, 09:05 AM
Turnbull stand? He built the Tornadoes team.

Allez Hibs
14-09-2021, 09:09 AM
Turnbull stand? He built the Tornadoes team.

Hugh Shaw built the Famous Five.

Kato
14-09-2021, 09:14 AM
Hugh Shaw built the Famous Five.Hugh Shaw trained the FF. Willie McCartney put the team together.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

green with envy
14-09-2021, 09:22 AM
I’ve nothing against naming a stand after him, but like a huge number of fans I never ever seen him play. Obviously I didn’t see the famous five either and they’ve got a stand named after them. Maybe a tornadoes stand would be better.

You have to bare in mind, Pat Stanton was at Hibs many years before Turnbull and the "tornadoes" were really only around for a very short time in the grand scheme of things.

A stand named a after King Paddy, would be so fitting for a great Hibs man.

lord bunberry
14-09-2021, 09:30 AM
You have to bare in mind, Pat Stanton was at Hibs many years before Turnbull and the "tornadoes" were really only around for a very short time in the grand scheme of things.

A stand named a after King Paddy, would be so fitting for a great Hibs man.
As I’ve said I don’t have a problem with naming a stand after him as he obviously means such a lot to so many hibs fans, but anyone under 50 that didn’t see him play will have much less affinity with him. My only memory of him was when he was the manager and that was a pretty grim time.

WhileTheChief..
14-09-2021, 09:35 AM
Nah.

Alfiembra
14-09-2021, 09:36 AM
I agree that Pat is, for my generation, the greatest Hibs player I’ve had the privilege of seeing. Not just a very skilful player but a great captain and leader, he really called the shots on the park. I haven’t seen anyone since, even Le God, that comes close to matching his influence on the park. However I also agree that he was part of an amazing team in the Tornadoes and you can’t not recognise them also. I think it would be fitting to have The Tornadoes Stand.
I don’t agree it should be called The Turnbull Tornadoes Stand as he is already recognised in the FF stand.

green with envy
14-09-2021, 09:40 AM
As I’ve said I don’t have a problem with naming a stand after him as he obviously means such a lot to so many hibs fans, but anyone under 50 that didn’t see him play will have much less affinity with him. My only memory of him was when he was the manager and that was a pretty grim time.

And yet you suggested perhaps a Tornadoes stand.:confused:

The majority of fans that were attending Easter Road at the time of naming the famous five stand, would also never have seen them but it was still a fitting memory.

Hibbyradge
14-09-2021, 09:46 AM
STF saved the club, he built the stadium and created the foundations for what we are getting today. He also took great care to ensure that the club was passed on to safe, nurturing hands.

The west stand should bear his name.

Tommy75
14-09-2021, 09:49 AM
Surely the David Gray or Alan Stubbs stand would be more fitting as cup winning captain and manager.

green with envy
14-09-2021, 09:51 AM
STF saved the club, he built the stadium and created the foundations for what we are getting today. He also took great care to ensure that the club was passed on to safe, nurturing hands.

:agree::aok:

ancient hibee
14-09-2021, 09:57 AM
The Famous Five were part of an excellent team and were at the top of Scottish football for 6/7 years.
Pat Stanton was a great player and a very decent guy.
The Tornadoes were an entertaining team.Their usually quoted lineup played together a couple of dozen times.They won the league cup but otherwise underachieved.
So not for me.
If anyone for me Sir Tom Farmer is the outstanding choice. He is responsible for the position the club is now in-rescuing it,stabilising it,improving it and finding the right purchaser.

blackpoolhibs
14-09-2021, 09:58 AM
I'd also love the East stand to be renamed the Pat Stanton stand, he was the best player from the tornadoes, he stayed the longest, and he's still involved with the club now. And he's still here alive, I'd love it to be done so he could see it done. He was a class act, and a modern day club legend, who really was a fantastic player, fantastic captain and his longevity as a servant to the club he supported deserves this accolade.

lord bunberry
14-09-2021, 10:01 AM
And yet you suggested perhaps a Tornadoes stand.:confused:

The majority of fans that were attending Easter Road at the time of naming the famous five stand, would also never have seen them but it was still a fitting memory.
And that’s the reason I suggested the tornadoes stand. I didn’t see either of those teams, but I’m obviously aware of their achievements, more so than a single player from that era.

Allez Hibs
14-09-2021, 10:02 AM

Agree with this.

Hibbyradge
14-09-2021, 10:06 AM
I just struck me, maybe the new owner intends to make Hibs so successful that we want to put his name on the west stand. :hmmm:

lord bunberry
14-09-2021, 10:08 AM
I just struck me, maybe the new owner intends to make Hibs so successful that we want to put his name on the west stand. :hmmm:
Another thing to think of is, would he be up for putting his predecessors name on it.

Allez Hibs

Needs to make his tenure worthy of it.

Hibbyradge
Another thing to think of is, would he be up for putting his predecessors name on it.

Indeed.

Hiber-nation
14-09-2021, 10:12 AM
Although Pat's my all time favourite Hibs player and the Tornadoes is my favourite Hibs line up I'm not sure if Pat and the team achieved enough to warrant a stand being named after them. As mentioned before, the Tornadoes only played together for half a season.

Tom Farmer...not fussed but I'd be ok with it.

blackpoolhibs
14-09-2021, 10:12 AM

Lets hope so Dave. :greengrin

CentreLine
14-09-2021, 10:57 AM
Groundsman 🤔

Yeh why not? Actually a bit tongue in cheek comment but a bit of recognition for long serving tea ladies, or whatever, might be just as relevant as former players. What do you think? 😉 🤣

superfurryhibby
14-09-2021, 12:57 PM
Hugh Shaw trained the FF. Willie McCartney put the team together.

i think Lawrie Reilly signed after McCartney's untimely death. Shaw led that team afterwards, secured the title and went on to train/manage them to two more titles and two second places. He managed Hibs for 14 years and oversaw one of the greatest attacking teams seen in British football. I think you are underplaying his contribution (in addition, he played, captained the side for many years. He then coached for many more).

BILLYHIBS
14-09-2021, 01:00 PM
i think Lawrie Reilly signed after McCartney's untimely death. Shaw led that team afterwards, secured the title and went on to train/manage them to two more titles and two second places. He managed Hibs for 14 years and oversaw one of the greatest attacking teams seen in British football. I think you are underplaying his contribution (in addition, he played, captained the side for many years. He then coached for many more).
Hugh Shaw on League titles alone and games won 311:604 probably our most successful Manager

PatHead
14-09-2021, 03:40 PM
I'd also love the East stand to be renamed the Pat Stanton stand, he was the best player from the tornadoes, he stayed the longest, and he's still involved with the club now. And he's still here alive, I'd love it to be done so he could see it done. He was a class act, and a modern day club legend, who really was a fantastic player, fantastic captain and his longevity as a servant to the club he supported deserves this accolade.

X2

Kato
14-09-2021, 04:04 PM
i think Lawrie Reilly signed after McCartney's untimely death. Shaw led that team afterwards, secured the title and went on to train/manage them to two more titles and two second places. He managed Hibs for 14 years and oversaw one of the greatest attacking teams seen in British football. I think you are underplaying his contribution (in addition, he played, captained the side for many years. He then coached for many more).Don't mean to underplay his role at all. Its commonly accepted that McCartney built the famous five. Shaw was probably the best fitness coach around in Scotland at the time. Smith and Turnbull oversaw the tactics. Everything came together just dandy but it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if the McCartney/Shaw partnership had continued for a while

BILLYHIBS
14-09-2021, 04:12 PM
:thumbsup:

And the West The STF Stand

Good Post

RyeSloan
14-09-2021, 06:38 PM
Is it just me or does the alliteration in Pat Stanton Stand make it slightly awkward?

I never saw the guy play but realise he’s a legend but honestly the idea leaves me cold.

Naming the West after STF seems a bit more sensible I think.

BILLYHIBS
14-09-2021, 07:00 PM
Is it just me or does the alliteration in Pat Stanton Stand make it slightly awkward?

I never saw the guy play but realise he’s a legend but honestly the idea leaves me cold.

Naming the West after STF seems a bit more sensible I think.

The Stanton Stand sounds OK to me ?

:dunno:

loanheadhibby
14-09-2021, 07:10 PM
Although Pat's my all time favourite Hibs player and the Tornadoes is my favourite Hibs line up I'm not sure if Pat and the team achieved enough to warrant a stand being named after them. As mentioned before, the Tornadoes only played together for half a season.

Tom Farmer...not fussed but I'd be ok with it.
What do you mean, they only played together for half a season?

Hiber-nation
14-09-2021, 07:33 PM
What do you mean, they only played together for half a season?

Their first game together was 23 August 1972 in a 2-1 win over Aberdeen. Their last was on 6 January 1973 when John Brownlie broke his leg against East Fife. Half a season.

BILLYHIBS
15-09-2021, 06:57 AM
Their first game together was 23 August 1972 in a 2-1 win over Aberdeen. Their last was on 6 January 1973 when John Brownlie broke his leg against East Fife. Half a season.
Seemed longer but 22 games about right

At the time you wanted it to last forever

Just like watching a game of football chess wave after wave of Hibernian attacks

The best brand of football the world’s ever seen

gbhibby
15-09-2021, 07:28 AM
Pat is a club Legend but there are many others such as Arthur Duncan Lewis Stevenson based on appearances medals won.
I would leave the other 3 stands unnamed as there may be other Legends still to be born. Other parts of the Stadium can be dedicated to Legends.

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-09-2021, 07:41 AM
We could have Pat Stanchions so that he is holding us all up.

Since452
15-09-2021, 08:08 AM
I'd name the west stand the Sir Tom Farmer stand and leave the rest as they are. The East will always be the East to me.

lucky
15-09-2021, 11:03 AM
It’s a no from me. He was a fine player but left for Celtic and only won a league and Drybrough cup with Hibs. Lewis Stevenson has won more and has been more loyal but I wouldn’t name a stand after him. Sir Tom Farmer is probably the most deserving of this honour in recent times.

Allez Hibs
15-09-2021, 11:15 AM
It’s a no from me. He was a fine player but left for Celtic and only won a league and Drybrough cup with Hibs. Lewis Stevenson has won more and has been more loyal but I wouldn’t name a stand after him. Sir Tom Farmer is probably the most deserving of this honour in recent times.

100% the West Stand should be renamed the Sir Tom Farmer Stand. Leave the East as the East Stand.

superfurryhibby
15-09-2021, 11:51 AM

Pat won two Dryborough Cups at Hibs.

The difference between someone like Pat and Lewis in terms of ability is vast. Lewis is an all time great Hibernian for more than his talent on the field. Pat managed to be one of the greatest ever Hibs players and led one of the greatest ever Hibs sides. Both are wonderful Hibees, regardless of medals won,

In terms of loyalty, Pat could have played for any team , anywhere at the peak of his powers. He had offers to go elsewhere and declined them. He knew nothing about the swap for Jackie MacNamara until Turnbull put him on to Jock Stein on the phone, on the day the deal was done. He was discarded by Hibs, it was nothing to do with loyalty.

loanheadhibby
15-09-2021, 08:11 PM
Reilly definitely played under McCartney.
He died on the train coming home from an away match I think.

loanheadhibby
15-09-2021, 08:14 PM
Pat won two Dryborough Cups at Hibs.

The difference between someone like Pat and Lewis in terms of ability is vast. Lewis is an all time great Hibernian for more than his talent on the field. Pat managed to be one of the greatest ever Hibs players and led one of the greatest ever Hibs sides. Both are wonderful Hibees, regardless of medals won,

In terms of loyalty, Pat could have played for any team , anywhere at the peak of his powers. He had offers to go elsewhere and declined them. He knew nothing about the swap for Jackie MacNamara until Turnbull put him on to Jock Stein on the phone, on the day the deal was done. He was discarded by Hibs, it was nothing to do with loyalty.
Lawrie Reilly told me many years ago that in a combined Famous Five/ Turnbulls Tornadoes team Pat would have been a great captain. He also included John Brownlie and John Blackley but that was all from the 70s team.
His words not mine.

BILLYHIBS
16-09-2021, 06:38 AM
Reilly definitely played under McCartney.
He died on the train coming home from an away match I think.
:agree:

Reilly made his debut versus Killie October 1945 in a 4-2 win under McCartney

Bobby Johnstone was the last of the five to join up under Hugh Shaw in 1949

There is no doubting Stanton’s loyalty to HIBS

He was ‘let go’ after falling out with Turnbull

I also remember Gordon Smith being ‘let go’ by Harry Swan because he refused to pay for his op

Both men returned to the club as supporters

Stanton as a Manager

I also remember Pat Stanton being that good the Scotland Manager Tommy Docherty declared that he was better than Bobby Moore

An opinion no doubt shared by Jock Stein

Alex Ferguson also being a great admirer of Stanton as a player

In my eyes he was up there with Franz Beckenbaur :greengrin

gbhibby
16-09-2021, 06:43 AM

I also remember Gordon Smith being ‘let go’ by Harry Swan because he refused to pay for his op

Stanton as a Manager

I also remember Pat Stanton being that good the Scotland Manager Tommy Docherty declared that he was better than Bobby Moore

Billy
Did we not knock back 2 or 3 offers from English clubs for Pat. Can't remember the clubs though.

The Count
16-09-2021, 06:49 AM
East,West,South so no descriptive and boring.Every supporter knows the Famous Five Stand but I bet you some occassional attending supporters get mixed over the East and West.Personally I would rename the East Stand "The Tornadoes Stand".Has a good ring about it and in years to come we will have two stands that will give the future Hibees something to Google to find some of our history.

BILLYHIBS
16-09-2021, 06:53 AM
Billy
Did we not knock back 2 or 3 offers from English clubs for Pat. Can't remember the clubs though.
Defo plenty clubs interested

I know he was frustrated at HIBS constantly breaking up good teams and selling their best talent :

Scott, Martin, Cormack, Marinello, Stein etc

Liverpool must have been laughing when he was dropped for the away leg with us only leading 1-0

Chelsea rings a bell ?

The Count
16-09-2021, 06:55 AM
As regarding naming the West/Main Stand personally that has to reflect the origins of the club.However this would have to be done without splitting the support.as I am aware there is an element of our support who distance themself from our origins.

superfurryhibby
16-09-2021, 07:23 AM

Stanton as a Manager

From wiki

Reilly joined Hibs in 1946, despite interest from their city rivals Hearts.[3] He quickly established himself in the Hibernian team, scoring his first goal against Queen of the South. He netted the first of 18 hat-tricks for Hibs in 1947, also against Queen of the South. He made his league debut as a 17-year-old in the 1946–47 season.[3] Reilly was a fringe player in the 1947–48 season as Hibs won the league championship, playing in insufficient games to earn a winners' medal.[3] It was reported that Reilly and Johnny Aitkenhead might be loaned to Edinburgh derby rivals Hearts, who were battling against relegation that season.[4]

Reilly became a first team regular during the following season, after Willie Ormond suffered a broken leg.[3] He earned his first selection for Scotland that season, playing and scoring in a 3–1 win against England at Wembley.[3] Later that year, the Famous Five were fielded together in a match for the first time.[3] The forward line were used regularly for the first time during the 1949–50 season.[3

BILLYHIBS
16-09-2021, 07:41 AM
From wiki

Reilly joined Hibs in 1946, despite interest from their city rivals Hearts.[3] He quickly established himself in the Hibernian team, scoring his first goal against Queen of the South. He netted the first of 18 hat-tricks for Hibs in 1947, also against Queen of the South. He made his league debut as a 17-year-old in the 1946–47 season.[3] Reilly was a fringe player in the 1947–48 season as Hibs won the league championship, playing in insufficient games to earn a winners' medal.[3] It was reported that Reilly and Johnny Aitkenhead might be loaned to Edinburgh derby rivals Hearts, who were battling against relegation that season.[4]

Reilly became a first team regular during the following season, after Willie Ormond suffered a broken leg.[3] He earned his first selection for Scotland that season, playing and scoring in a 3–1 win against England at Wembley.[3] Later that year, the Famous Five were fielded together in a match for the first time.[3] The forward line were used regularly for the first time during the 1949–50 season.[3

Lawrie Reilly made his debut 13/10/1945 under Willie McCartney

Kilmarnock 2 v 4 Hibernian

Aged 16 years 350 days

“My first team debut wasn’t long in coming On 13 October 1945 just short of my 17th birthday I played my first League match for HIBS against Kilmarnock at Rugby Park I was selected at inside right and my winger was my hero Gordon Smith I felt like I had gone to heaven and that when I had got there I had discovered God himself playing outside me”

The Life and times of Last Minute Reilly

www.fitbastats.com

PatHead
16-09-2021, 08:21 AM
How about the David Gray stand. Surely a Hibs legend?

BILLYHIBS
16-09-2021, 12:27 PM
From wiki

Wiki doesn’t recognise war time games so probs start from the new Scottish First Division

😃👍🏿