PDA

View Full Version : Green v maroon

LeithMike
12-09-2021, 01:23 PM
Not sure if posted elsewhere but the Edinburgh derby has been played for well over a century in green v maroon. Why were Hibs in the away kit? We should always play in green in the derby.

If this is down to the tv companies wanting one team in a white/light kit and the other in a dark kit then football needs to take a stand. Fed up with it in international football - with Scotland now all navy, Netherlands all orange, Italy having to wear dark shots and blue v red in the Euro semi between Italy and Spain being deemed a clash so Spain had to wear white.

We're going the way of basketball and about time football stood up to the tv companies for its traditions.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

SChibs
12-09-2021, 01:26 PM
Don't the home team chose what kits the teams are to wear. I may have made that up but sure I've seen I somewhere

bingo70
12-09-2021, 01:28 PM
The dark green at the bottom of the Hibs strip would be a clash with the dark of the maroon strip at times.

I’m all for wearing the away kit more.

I don’t know how today would have effected him if Hibs were in green but my boy is colour blind and the league and football in general don’t do nearly enough to help in that regard, there’s some games that are a waste of time for him and many others.

If there’s any sort of doubt at all best to err on the side of caution IMO.

Since90+2
12-09-2021, 01:30 PM
Don't the home team chose what kits the teams are to wear. I may have made that up but sure I've seen I somewhere

No, the home team can't decide on what the away teams wear.

Unseen work
12-09-2021, 01:31 PM
Honestly doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

We’re away from home so why not wear our away kit.

If we don’t we’ll have folk moaning they’ve shelled out £50 on an away strip that hardly gets worn.

Sammy7nil
12-09-2021, 01:36 PM
No, the home team can't decide on what the away teams wear.

I thought the team chose their own kit and only the Ref can make them change if he thinks there is a clash.

bingo70
12-09-2021, 01:43 PM
The dark green at the bottom of the Hibs strip would be a clash with the dark of the maroon strip at times.

I’m all for wearing the away kit more.

I don’t know how today would have effected him if Hibs were in green but my boy is colour blind and the league and football in general don’t do nearly enough to help in that regard, there’s some games that are a waste of time for him and many others.

If there’s any sort of doubt at all best to err on the side of caution IMO.

Sorry to go on about this and I’m not meaning it as a moan to anybody but it was colour blind awareness day last week at some point.

I found this video really interesting, I know we love the tradition of green v maroon but ‘if’ (and I don’t know if it would) there was a concern over the colours clashing for this reason then I think it’s great they made us wear our away strip.

https://twitter.com/footballjoe/status/1434836019996676100?s=21

LeithMike
12-09-2021, 01:53 PM
Sorry to go on about this and I’m not meaning it as a moan to anybody but it was colour blind awareness day last week at some point.

I found this video really interesting, I know we love the tradition of green v maroon but ‘if’ (and I don’t know if it would) there was a concern over the colours clashing for this reason then I think it’s great they made us wear our away strip.

https://twitter.com/footballjoe/status/1434836019996676100?s=21Fair point to raise bingo70 and, of course, these factors shouldnt be taken into account. However, it seems to me there is some kind of directive about teams having a light and dark strip so it is more appealing for tv. I find it really annoying when teams cant play in their traditional colours without a valid reason.

Have we witnessed the last green v maroon derby? Anyone know why the decision for Hibs to play in white was taken?

Since90+2
12-09-2021, 01:55 PM
I'm colour blind and I've never had an issue with it.

bingo70
12-09-2021, 01:58 PM
Fair point to raise bingo70 and, of course, these factors shouldnt be taken into account. However, it seems to me there is some kind of directive about teams having a light and dark strip so it is more appealing for tv. I find it really annoying when teams cant play in their traditional colours without a valid reason.

Have we witnessed the last green v maroon derby? Anyone know why the decision for Hibs to play in white was taken?

Don’t mean this in a nippy way but why would that be more appealing for TV? I don’t understand that?

In terms of the end of the green vs maroon derby, it depends on the shade if green used. If the whole strip was the shade of green at the top of the strip I’m sure it would have been fine. The darker shade at the bottom of the strip would be more difficult though.

heretoday
12-09-2021, 02:02 PM
Anything that helps our chaps to find each other on a grey day is good.
Not that it was much help today......

Pretty Boy
12-09-2021, 02:06 PM
It's not that long since both teams wore their away kits in a derby. The season we were both in the Championship.

I'd have preferred us in our proper kit or even all green but the white is fine. Can't say it had any impact on my enjoyment of what ended up as a decent game.

LeithMike
12-09-2021, 02:11 PM
Don’t mean this in a nippy way but why would that be more appealing for TV? I don’t understand that?

In terms of the end of the green vs maroon derby, it depends on the shade if green used. If the whole strip was the shade of green at the top of the strip I’m sure it would have been fine. The darker shade at the bottom of the strip would be more difficult though.You just need to look at the FIFA/UEFA directives in international football. They want one team in an all dark strip and one team in a light strip. That's why you hardly ever see contrasting shorts now. I remember reading that the reason for this was to make it easier to make it easier to tell the difference on tv (not because of colour blindness) whixh, to be fair, it probably does. It was very rare in the Euros when both teams both played in home kits, one team was nearly always in white.

Far harder to do in club football but there are signs its happening. At Motherwell, for instance, Hibs even wore white shorts as well as the white top when Motherwell had their amber shorts.

Just seems to me that everything is about tv aesthetics these days and tradition gets thrown out the window. Im all for away kits when needed or on occasion but when it comes to big games, I want to see the team in their traditional colours unless there is a valid reason otherwise.

greenlad
12-09-2021, 02:14 PM
Don't agree at all with wearing your change kit just because it's an away match.

I'm colour blind and I've never had a problem in a derby before. I have had problems when various blue teams introduce white on their sleeves, Falkirk, QOS, St Johnstone, Raith and Dundee at various points. Also remember it once with red, when Stirling Albion went all Arsenal.

Wonder if it was down to Hearts introducing a reasonable sized band of white on their sleeve? Even allowing for this I'd be happy with both teams wearing their home kits and the away team changing their shorts from white.

mcohibs
12-09-2021, 02:20 PM
Football needs to take a stand 😂 Don't think anyone is really that arsed about it except you by the sounds of things. As others have mentioned it's probably because our home top is largely dark green and with the white shorts and dark socks, it is similar to Hearts kit at a glance. I'd imagine the players prefer the contrast as it is easier to pick out passes etc.

Pagan Hibernia
12-09-2021, 02:21 PM
Fair point to raise bingo70 and, of course, these factors shouldnt be taken into account. However, it seems to me there is some kind of directive about teams having a light and dark strip so it is more appealing for tv. I find it really annoying when teams cant play in their traditional colours without a valid reason.

I sincerely hope not.

LeithMike
12-09-2021, 02:22 PM
Football needs to take a stand [emoji23] Don't think anyone is really that arsed about it except you by the sounds of things. As others have mentioned it's probably because our home top is largely dark green and with the white shorts and dark socks, it is similar to Hearts kit at a glance. I'd imagine the players prefer the contrast as it is easier to pick out passes etc.Maybe annoys me a bit too much :)

Still, has a league not recently banned teams playing in green due to a clash with the pitch?!

Inconsequential
12-09-2021, 02:22 PM
The reasons Hibs wore their away strip today are twofold.

No.1 They were the away side.
No.2 Wearing a lighter strip was to assist viewers watching in black and white.

Must admit No.2 is a blast from the past though. :wink:

mcohibs
12-09-2021, 02:25 PM
We have a dark strip this year which is more similar to Hearts, that's all it is. Maybe the club chose to wear white to stand out more?

Maybe if we stopped fannying about with having 8 shades of green in our kits and just went back to Emerald we'd be alright

CapitalGreen
12-09-2021, 02:27 PM
When the away top is that sexy wgaf.

Wilson
12-09-2021, 02:31 PM
We have a dark strip this year which is more similar to Hearts, that's all it is. Maybe the club chose to wear white to stand out more?

Maybe if we stopped fannying about with having 8 shades of green in our kits and just went back to Emerald we'd be alright

It would be hard to sell you an emerald green shirt with white sleeves every season. Only so much you can do with that.

People should just accept that we're the away side and aknowledge that an away hibs strip is also a proper hibs strip.

The boys looked the part out there. Two decent sides unable to seal the win. The strip wasn't the issue.

Renfrew_Hibby
12-09-2021, 02:46 PM
There's definitely an issue with a dark green kit up against a maroon, dark blue or black kit. Jack would have decided on the kit choice and probably was supported by the majority of the players as in a frantic match like the derby being able to pick team mates out instantly would be a necessity.
I think we possibly could have gone with the home kit and white socks but I can totally understand the thinking in this decision.

Leithenhibby
12-09-2021, 03:05 PM
Honestly doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

We’re away from home so why not wear our away kit.

If we don’t we’ll have folk moaning they’ve shelled out £50 on an away strip that hardly gets worn.

My very thoughts, and it's a smart kit...

Jim44
12-09-2021, 03:11 PM
The reasons Hibs wore their away strip today are twofold.

No.1 They were the away side.
No.2 Wearing a lighter strip was to assist viewers watching in black and white.

Must admit No.2 is a blast from the past though. :wink:

Like the snooker commentator saying .......... “ ..... and for those watching in black and white, the brown ball is the one lying behind the red.” :greengrin

Green Man
12-09-2021, 03:12 PM
The season we had a bottle green top with white sleeves, and Falkirk had their standard navy but with white sleeves, those games were hard to watch.

mcohibs
12-09-2021, 03:19 PM
The season we had a bottle green top with white sleeves, and Falkirk had their standard navy but with white sleeves, those games were hard to watch.

Just hard to watch in general :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
12-09-2021, 03:49 PM
Had a feeling Hibs would wear white today, in theory much easier to distinguish from their dark coloured maroon strips than if we had been wearing our home strip. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Hertz wear their away strip at Easter Road.

As a rule it does my nut in when teams wear their away kit when there's no colour clash, but today it made sense.

The dalmeny
12-09-2021, 03:57 PM
You just need to look at the FIFA/UEFA directives in international football. They want one team in an all dark strip and one team in a light strip. That's why you hardly ever see contrasting shorts now. I remember reading that the reason for this was to make it easier to make it easier to tell the difference on tv (not because of colour blindness) whixh, to be fair, it probably does. It was very rare in the Euros when both teams both played in home kits, one team was nearly always in white.

Far harder to do in club football but there are signs its happening. At Motherwell, for instance, Hibs even wore white shorts as well as the white top when Motherwell had their amber shorts.

Just seems to me that everything is about tv aesthetics these days and tradition gets thrown out the window. Im all for away kits when needed or on occasion but when it comes to big games, I want to see the team in their traditional colours unless there is a valid reason otherwise.

you’ve got people watching on phones and stuff now so maybe one colour makes that easier too

Alfred E Newman
12-09-2021, 04:39 PM
I prefer to see Hibs play in our traditional strip especially in a Derby but I like the white away strip so wasn't too fussed and Hearts have regularly worn their away strip at Easter Road.

O'Rourke3
12-09-2021, 09:26 PM
The season we had a bottle green top with white sleeves, and Falkirk had their standard navy but with white sleeves, those games were hard to watch.Did my head in too.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Smartie
12-09-2021, 09:43 PM

I'm not colour blind but I struggled with a few games that season.

The bottle green looks superb, but the weakness is that I can find it difficult to make it out against some other darker tops - including the maroon of Hearts.

Our current away strip is a thing of great beauty, so it's no big deal to me if it gets a few extra outings.

Pagan Hibernia
12-09-2021, 10:14 PM
I prefer to see Hibs play in our traditional strip especially in a Derby but I like the white away strip so wasn't too fussed and Hearts have regularly worn their away strip at Easter Road.

have they? I can only remember that one championship season when they wore the blue and white stripes

King Cosell
12-09-2021, 10:41 PM
Well, we were still in green & white. Madness in 2014/15 season when we binned the white sleeves and wore bottle green and Hearts wore the Argentina kit.

ABZHFC
13-09-2021, 07:57 PM
Was fuming at this, I hate modern football

bigwheel
13-09-2021, 08:03 PM
Was fuming at this, I hate modern football

Where you genuinely angry about the strip we played in……until I saw this thread I hadn’t really registered it at the game…..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EI255
13-09-2021, 08:04 PM
Pretty sure it'll be because Hibs were simply plugging the away kit. Like all other teams do.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Inconsequential
13-09-2021, 08:46 PM
Well, we were still in green & white. Madness in 2014/15 season when we binned the white sleeves and wore bottle green and Hearts wore the Argentina kit. Why was it madness to bin the white sleeves and revert back to one of Hibs' early tops and shade? I much prefer bottle green although I appear to in the minority. Hearts can wear whatever colour they choose. I'm not the least bit concerned with that club.

Joe6-2
13-09-2021, 08:56 PM
Why was it madness to bin the white sleeves and revert back to one of Hibs' early tops and shade? I much prefer bottle green although I appear to in the minority. Hearts can wear whatever colour they choose. I'm not the least bit concerned with that club.

With you on the bottle green

lyonhibs
13-09-2021, 09:07 PM
We were away from home, so wore our away kit. This is making a mountain out of a molehill territory tbf. This year's away kit is an absolute beauty too.

ABZHFC
13-09-2021, 09:28 PM
Where you genuinely angry about the strip we played in……until I saw this thread I hadn’t really registered it at the game…..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, I am an utter traditionalist and I believe we should play in our home kit against all clubs, Celtic included

Allez Hibs
13-09-2021, 09:28 PM
The white kit looked excellent.

King Cosell
13-09-2021, 10:41 PM
Why was it madness to bin the white sleeves and revert back to one of Hibs' early tops and shade? I much prefer bottle green although I appear to in the minority. Hearts can wear whatever colour they choose. I'm not the least bit concerned with that club.

Didn't mind that kit, for a season, but that and the honking Hearts away didn't really look like a proper Edinburgh derby.

SChibs
14-09-2021, 07:21 AM
Could care what Hibs strip we choose to wear to be honest, it's still Hibs players playing in it.

Since452
14-09-2021, 07:28 AM
Could care what Hibs strip we choose to wear to be honest, it's still Hibs players playing in it.

Yeah didn't bother me in the slightest.

heretoday
14-09-2021, 07:49 AM
Short of light blue shirts and maroon socks I don't care what colour they wear away from home. Even red or purple.

Jones28
14-09-2021, 08:06 AM
Is anyone really complaining about that kit? Wear it every game we aren’t at ER, it’s so beautiful it deserves as much airtime as possible.

Allez Hibs
14-09-2021, 08:09 AM
Is anyone really complaining about that kit? Wear it every game we aren’t at ER, it’s so beautiful it deserves as much airtime as possible.

Agreed. Would like to see us inter change the socks and shorts from the home kit too, it's that good it would be good to see it in the different combinations.

MacBean
14-09-2021, 09:30 AM
Uefa have an official bit of guidance on what colours for teams to wear that avoids clashes for colour blindness. Given the game was on Sky and likely on in every pub around the UK at 12pm on Sunday this will have been taken into consideration.

Looking at the guidance. Green with Red, Orange, and Yellow almost always comes up as the same colours.

Colour Blindness in Football: kit selection advice (uefa.com) (https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/uefaorg/Corepartnership/02/61/62/48/2616248_DOWNLOAD.pdf)

Personally doesn't bother me playing in away kit when we're away from home. Yes the traditional Green v Maroon would be great, however I think there have been loads of derbies when the kits have been too similar (where they have had white sleeves) and it's been difficult to differentiate even for those who aren't colour blind.

Allez Hibs
14-09-2021, 09:42 AM
Uefa have an official bit of guidance on what colours for teams to wear that avoids clashes for colour blindness. Given the game was on Sky and likely on in every pub around the UK at 12pm on Sunday this will have been taken into consideration.

Looking at the guidance. Green with Red, Orange, and Yellow almost always comes up as the same colours.

Colour Blindness in Football: kit selection advice (uefa.com) (https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/uefaorg/Corepartnership/02/61/62/48/2616248_DOWNLOAD.pdf)

Personally doesn't bother me playing in away kit when we're away from home. Yes the traditional Green v Maroon would be great, however I think there have been loads of derbies when the kits have been too similar (where they have had white sleeves) and it's been difficult to differentiate even for those who aren't colour blind.

Now the Champions league is starting, you might notice that teams like Liverpool and Real Madrid have a policy of just wearing a change kit if there is a short or sock clash with their traditional home kit.

Rather than wearing a mashup they just opt to wear a change kit.

bigwheel
14-09-2021, 09:46 AM
Yep, I am an utter traditionalist and I believe we should play in our home kit against all clubs, Celtic included

You realise that isn’t tradition - tradition is we often wear our away strip , away from home . What you are talking about is dogma …

Les Ruggiero
14-09-2021, 03:38 PM
You realise that isn’t tradition - tradition is we often wear our away strip , away from home . What you are talking about is dogma …

What colour will they be in when they come to ER the blue and black or the Light blue

ABZHFC
14-09-2021, 03:49 PM

Sorry, how on earth is that dogma? Of course it's tradition, Hibs wear green and white as our first choice colours, that should be the case no matter what ground we play at, unless it is literally a kit clash that would make the teams indistinguishable

bigwheel
14-09-2021, 03:59 PM
Sorry, how on earth is that dogma? Of course it's tradition, Hibs wear green and white as our first choice colours, that should be the case no matter what ground we play at, unless it is literally a kit clash that would make the teams indistinguishable

We wore green and white on Sunday

Bristolhibby
14-09-2021, 04:09 PM
Remember that game v Falkirk a few years ago? We were in bottle green and Falkirk had white sleeves that season. Impossible to tell apart.

Also remember a Scotland Rugby World Cup match at Murrayfield where Scotland were in blue with loads of white flashes and New Zealand were in some grey kit with loads of black. That was the worst clash.

Here it is (both sides in dark shorts and socks, brilliant).

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/GAB16F/new-zealands-sione-lauaki-tries-to-break-through-the-scotland-defence-GAB16F.jpg

PatHead
14-09-2021, 04:26 PM
Remember that game v Falkirk a few years ago? We were in bottle green and Falkirk had white sleeves that season. Impossible to tell apart.

Also remember a Scotland Rugby World Cup match at Murrayfield where Scotland were in blue with loads of white flashes and New Zealand were in some grey kit with loads of black. That was the worst clash.

Here it is (both sides in dark shorts and socks, brilliant).

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/GAB16F/new-zealands-sione-lauaki-tries-to-break-through-the-scotland-defence-GAB16F.jpg

Remember playing Raith and it was similar.

hhibs
16-09-2021, 11:54 PM
With you on the bottle green

Love the bottle green kit.