PDA

View Full Version : Further shirt sponsorship

Peevemor
10-09-2021, 04:25 PM
"with SGO investing a significant six figure sum each season, on an initial 3 year term".

- with logo on bum!

https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/hibernian-announce-significant-partnership-with-sportemon-go

hibee-boys
10-09-2021, 04:30 PM
Someone will have to explain what a fan token and an NFT is? Read the article and still don’t understand🤔😂

Mikey_1875
10-09-2021, 04:31 PM
Significant six figure sum each season is good news. It’ll be interesting to see what these fan tokens are, have heard a few clubs in Europe speak about them but don’t really understand what they are at all even after googling them.

Peevemor
10-09-2021, 04:39 PM
Someone will have to explain what a fan token and an NFT is? Read the article and still don’t understand[emoji848][emoji23]"NFT’s are essentially a Non Fungible Token, that is blockchain certified, unique and verifiable digital asset. Used to represent a finite number of items – such as collector editions of stickers and trading cards, medals, stamps, photos, videos, jpegs, audio, and other types of digital files."

Looks like virtual, tradable collectibles/merchandise. Bit-coin for hibees!

I don't think it's my cup of tea (probably aimed at a younger age group), but if it works it could give Hibs good global exposure.

AugustaHibs
10-09-2021, 04:42 PM
Hibs shouldn’t be getting involved in total shams like this.

**** NFT’s. It’ll all end in tears

Ozyhibby
10-09-2021, 04:51 PM

Eh? Clubs have been doing memorabilia for 50 years now. Why is this any different?
Looks like another great deal. This is another example of the club bringing its commercial income up inline with Aberdeen etc.
Team are going to be logo’d up like F1 drivers mind you.[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AugustaHibs
10-09-2021, 04:54 PM
Eh? Clubs have been doing memorabilia for 50 years now. Why is this any different?
Looks like another great deal. This is another example of the club bringing its commercial income up inline with Aberdeen etc.

It’s not as simple as that unfortunately

AugustaHibs
10-09-2021, 05:03 PM
Check the replies to the tweet. Whole thing is a huge scam

H18 SFR
10-09-2021, 05:08 PM

Not on social media, in what way is it a scam?

AugustaHibs
10-09-2021, 05:09 PM
Not on social media, in what way is it a scam?

This explains it better than I could.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/mashable.com/article/nft-cryptocurrency-bad-environment-art%3famp

For a club trying to be the ‘greenest in Scotland’ do they not realise how bad these things are for the environment?

Since452
10-09-2021, 05:10 PM

Not saying you're wrong as I have absolutely no idea what it is, but I'd be astonished if the club didn't do their due diligence before entering into any sort of sponsorship agreement with someone.

Brightside
10-09-2021, 05:10 PM
Someone will have to explain what a fan token and an NFT is? Read the article and still don’t understand🤔😂

Its very dodgy and i would advise no one to INVEST in it.

AugustaHibs
10-09-2021, 05:13 PM
An NFT has the carbon footprint of an average person living in the EU for a month.

Greenest club my arse

Ozyhibby
10-09-2021, 05:13 PM
Its very dodgy and i would advise no one to INVEST in it.

Yip. Same with football programmes. Poor investment vehicle.
Only buy these things if it makes you happy in the here and now.

Wheat Hound
10-09-2021, 05:15 PM
Anyone else completely confused as to what this company do/produce?!!

AugustaHibs
Yip. Same with football programmes. Poor investment vehicle.
Only buy these things if it makes you happy in the here and now.

It isn’t even close to being comparable to a physical program

Diclonius
NFTs and cryptocurrencies are the ****ing worst. They have an enormous carbon footprint.

Disappointing that Hibs are taking this up.

Billy Whizz
10-09-2021, 05:16 PM

All gobbledygook to me too!

Centre Hawf
10-09-2021, 05:19 PM

I have to agree. The replies are from what appear to be purely bot accounts and the company's twitter account is only a few months old and amassed a large following that just ticks every single box in regards to it being faked. The whole thing reeks of a get rich quick scam designed to suck in ordinary people, and in this case Hibs supporters.

I would appeal to all supporters remotely considering getting involved in buying a "Davie Gray winner NFT" or similar guff that will no doubt be touted to us in the next few weeks to just keep their money, or just buy a regular print of it and hang it on the wall somewhere.

lord bunberry
10-09-2021, 05:27 PM
I read it twice and didn’t have a clue what it was meant to be about. The only thing I understood was that they’re sponsoring hibs. I think I’ll leave this debate to fans that know what they’re talking about on this. :greengrin

superfurryhibby
10-09-2021, 05:32 PM
An NFT has the carbon footprint of an average person living in the EU for a month.

Greenest club my arse

You'll have to do better than rip the club a new one and link us to some article from the dailymashable or whatever (which doesn't work for me).

seanshow
10-09-2021, 05:33 PM

Let's put water than you get by paying your rates into bottles and sell it back to them. "No way they'll never go for it says the neighsayer"

15 years later there is an aisle dedicated to the stuff in plastic bottles in every supermarket.

People will tend to buy or invest in what is put in front of them, and the environment is last thing on their list of concerns.

AugustaHibs
10-09-2021, 05:34 PM
You'll have to do better than rip the club a new one and link us to some article from the dailymashable or whatever (which doesn't work for me).

How about you google NFT’s then and do the research for yourself?

Terrible decision from the club

Andy74
10-09-2021, 05:36 PM
NFTs and cryptocurrencies are the ****ing worst. They have an enormous carbon footprint.

Disappointing that Hibs are taking this up.

On their own they don’t really. The claim about the equivalent of living in the EU for a months is false. It initially came from the energy from a whole exchange being attributed to one token.

It is what it is. Digital memorabilia. Not everyone’s choice of stuff to collect but it is a perfectly valid thing. People pay for digital movies, music, pictures, backgrounds, whatever. It really isn’t much different.

AugustaHibs
10-09-2021, 05:36 PM
Let's put water than you get by paying your rates into bottles and sell it back to them. "No way they'll never go for it says the neighsayer"

15 years later there is an aisle dedicated to the stuff in plastic bottles in every supermarket.

People will tend to buy or invest in what is put in front of them, and the environment is last thing on their list of concerns.

The environment is the last of their concerns? For a club who **** over being the Greenest club in the country?

Peevemor
10-09-2021, 05:38 PM
The environment is the last of their concerns? For a club who **** over being the Greenest club in the country?So this virtual stuff has a bigger carbon footprint than merchandise manufactured in China and brought in on container ships (often to be sold online)?

AugustaHibs
10-09-2021, 05:40 PM
So this virtual stuff has a bigger carbon footprint than merchandise manufactured in China and brought in on container ships?

It sounds mental but the carbon footprint on these things are horrendous.

I’d argue it’s worse as it’s not even a physical object

Glory Lurker
10-09-2021, 05:48 PM
If it's digital memorabilia, do you have to be Tron to actually see it?

superfurryhibby
How about you google NFT’s then and do the research for yourself?

Terrible decision from the club

I was really looking for your insight, given the frequency and scathing nature of your posts, I assumed you would be polite enough to explain it all for me.:aok:

Sioux

You've gleaned all of this from one or two pages on the internet?

Wow :not worth

04Sauzee
10-09-2021, 05:59 PM
Absolutely no idea what this is.
So far I have read we are getting a significant six figure fee for the next 3 years, it's a con, it's got a huge carbon footprints, it's virtual and not real?

Can honestly say I don't have a clue about this.

Centre Hawf
10-09-2021, 06:00 PM
I was really looking for your insight, given the frequency and scathing nature of your posts, I assumed you would be polite enough to explain it all for me.:aok:

The exact amount of carbon emissions involved in the creation and distribution of an NFT is still widely debated, and is it a single NFT that causes issues or is it the whole blockchain (the record of who owns, buys, sells NFTs) that causes the issue with carbon emissions.

What is known is that this new era of Cryptocurrencies are NOT good for the environment on a lot of levels. The emissions created to farm crypto are enormous and the computer hardware market is struggling to keep up with demand of certain parts due to its growing popularity (one of the reasons you may not be able to get your hands on a Playstation 5 for example.) and NFT's are side market that is essentially built on the same sort of premise as Bitcoin is. So yes there is evidence to back up NFT's being bad for our planet, more so than if you bought a shirt that was manufactured in China and shipped over here. The club shouldn't be getting involved with this for all the reasons listed about them wanting to be the greenest club in Scotland etc.

But as I've said earlier in the thread I genuinely think that this company are dodgy looking to begin with. If you REALLY want to get into NFT's there are far more reputable ways to actually do so than through a company that looks like it's been set up in 5 minutes with a bot farm behind it to give it clout.

I think someone at Hibs might need to try and reassure people a bit more on this as the comments on social media already show people are wary of it. That's is assuming they have done their due diligence on them.

Peevemor
10-09-2021, 06:03 PM
The exact amount of carbon emissions involved in the creation and distribution of an NFT is still widely debated, and is it a single NFT that causes issues or is it the whole blockchain (the record of who owns, buys, sells NFTs) that causes the issue with carbon emissions.

What is known is that this new era of Cryptocurrencies are NOT good for the environment on a lot of levels. The emissions created to farm crypto are enormous and the computer hardware market is struggling to keep up with demand of certain parts due to its growing popularity (one of the reasons you may not be able to get your hands on a Playstation 5 for example.) and NFT's are side market that is essentially built on the same sort of premise as Bitcoin is. So yes there is evidence to back up NFT's being bad for our planet, more so than if you bought a shirt that was manufactured in China and shipped over here. The club shouldn't be getting involved with this for all the reasons listed about them wanting to be the greenest club in Scotland etc.

But as I've said earlier in the thread I genuinely think that this company are dodgy looking to begin with. If you REALLY want to get into NFT's there are far more reputable ways to actually do so than through a company that looks like it's been set up in 5 minutes with a bot farm behind it to give it clout.

I think someone at Hibs might need to try and reassure people a bit more on this as the comments on social media already show people are wary of it. That's is assuming they have done their due diligence on them.Is it not up to the sponsor to do their own PR?

Centre Hawf
10-09-2021, 06:05 PM
Is it not up to the sponsor to do their own PR?

My current concern is Hibs having gotten into bed with a company that has a real potential to rip off the fans of the club on a serious level. I think the club should be doing some PR in order to cover themselves.

Stairway 2 7
10-09-2021, 06:05 PM
Is it any different from kids buying weapons houses clothes ect for grand theft auto or player packs on fifa, that are worthless in the real world. No idea myself

Billy Whizz
10-09-2021, 06:06 PM
My current concern is Hibs having gotten into bed with a company that has a real potential to rip off the fans of the club on a serious level. I think the club should be doing some PR in order to cover themselves.

I noticed no one from Hibs was quoted in the article

Antifa Hibs
10-09-2021, 06:09 PM
NFT's this year, who's next, Herbal Life? Check the replies on the twitter post all bigging up NFT's, as you would with any pyramid selling I guess if you have an interest. Bot accounts and randoms. Put your money on Hibs to do the treble this year as you've got as much chance of getting a return on that as you have from a digital gif. :tee hee:

Centre Hawf
10-09-2021, 06:09 PM
I noticed no one from Hibs was quoted in the article

Another red flag and pretty disappointing to see. If anyone at the club involved in this deal has any concerns about it already to the point they don't want their name attached to the announcement of it then something isn't right.

Billy Whizz
10-09-2021, 06:12 PM
Another red flag and pretty disappointing to see. If anyone at the club involved in this deal has any concerns about it already to the point they don't want their name attached to the announcement of it then something isn't right.

You have to feel sorry for Paul Hanlon then!
As I said I know absolutely nothing about this sort of business, but a few posters who do, have some concerns about it

Peevemor
10-09-2021, 06:18 PM
I'm not targeting anyone on this thread, but I find it funny that if Hibs are perceived to be missing out on commercial opportunities then there are folk who go mental. There are those who are wholly against gambling & alcohol related sponsors. Now with this lot it's the carbon footprint and the possibility of rip-off merchandising.

The club can't win. Almost any company that can afford to put 6 figure sums into Hibs annually will be open to criticism at some level.

I don't know what the answer is but we're a difficult lot to please.

Pretty Boy
10-09-2021, 06:20 PM
It's a bit like gambling and alcohol sponsorship. I'd rather we didn't touch them but I'm not sure we can afford not to.

Same with this. I don't like it but it's probably money we need and Hibs are one of the few things I'll readily park some principles for. It might go the same way as the Football Index scam before long and we'll be looking for someone else to throw money at us this time next year anyway.

The replies to the post on Twitter should have all kinds of alarm bells ringing though. It's the same stuff you see all over social media from people involved in 'multi level marketing', which used to be called a good old fashioned pyramid scheme.

ScottB
10-09-2021, 06:29 PM
Hugely disappointing that the club would get involved with this sort of nonsense.

An environmentally damaging pyramid scheme.

Andy74
10-09-2021, 06:33 PM
Hugely disappointing that the club would get involved with this sort of nonsense.

An environmentally damaging pyramid scheme.

Talk me through the similarities to a pyramid scheme?

Misinformed nonsense.

Allez Hibs
10-09-2021, 06:50 PM

More sponsors across the front and back of the shirt now than a darts player.

What even is an NFT? Is it regulated?

Allez Hibs
10-09-2021, 07:04 PM
I have to agree. The replies are from what appear to be purely bot accounts and the company's twitter account is only a few months old and amassed a large following that just ticks every single box in regards to it being faked. The whole thing reeks of a get rich quick scam designed to suck in ordinary people, and in this case Hibs supporters.

I would appeal to all supporters remotely considering getting involved in buying a "Davie Gray winner NFT" or similar guff that will no doubt be touted to us in the next few weeks to just keep their money, or just buy a regular print of it and hang it on the wall somewhere.

It does look very questionable. Quite clearly bot twitter accounts putting a positive spin on the twitter thread.

ScottB
10-09-2021, 07:05 PM
Talk me through the similarities to a pyramid scheme?

Misinformed nonsense.

NFTs are just a vehicle to inflate the value of the underlying crypto currencies they are based on. Months back it spread through online designer / artist communities, with people ‘minting’ digital files into NFT’s via Etherium, in particular, then trying to sell them on, again usually for more Etherium.

Broadly, it presents as a get rich quick scheme. You don’t own anything, not the artwork, not a file, you just have a link to a server where the jpeg or whatever is sits. Artists flooded in, spending money to mint in search of profits, with each new wave encouraged to buy first, like a pyramid scheme, the new ones pay off the ones before them.

On top of all this, most importantly, is the vast, vast amount of energy crypto mining uses. If this was just idiots wasting money with other idiots, fine, we’ve had betting sponsors in the past, but idiots wasting money while burning holes into the ozone layer, I draw the line.

How this specific version will work? I expect the company will try and sell Hibs fans NFTs of player images for whatever cost, with the ‘promise’ that these are valuable collectors items, but ultimately if nobody bids, the value tanks, as quickly happened to a lot of those sucked into the art / design community variant.

At the end of the day, if anyone wants to pay money for a link to a server hosting a photo of Martin Boyle that the company won’t even promise to keep turned on for any length of time, I’d say they’re a moron.

marinello59
10-09-2021, 07:07 PM
I read it twice and didn’t have a clue what it was meant to be about. The only thing I understood was that they’re sponsoring hibs. I think I’ll leave this debate to fans that know what they’re talking about on this. :greengrin

Me too.
Which may be a first for both of us. :greengrin

Allez Hibs
10-09-2021, 07:10 PM
It's a bit like gambling and alcohol sponsorship. I'd rather we didn't touch them but I'm not sure we can afford not to.

Same with this. I don't like it but it's probably money we need and Hibs are one of the few things I'll readily park some principles for. It might go the same way as the Football Index scam before long and we'll be looking for someone else to throw money at us this time next year anyway.

The replies to the post on Twitter should have all kinds of alarm bells ringing though. It's the same stuff you see all over social media from people involved in 'multi level marketing', which used to be called a good old fashioned pyramid scheme.

Is this the kind of sponsor Leann Dempster would have passed on when we went with no sponsor for two seasons? Fans quite rightly have concerns about this deal. It does appear they are similar to gaming loot boxes like Fifa packs kids will buy that are worthless in reality.

IncredibleHibee
10-09-2021, 07:20 PM
I think Bill Gates might be running DiscoDoidge’s account tonight - he certainly seems to be an IT expert 😂😂😂😂

Hiber-nation
10-09-2021, 07:47 PM
NFTs are just a vehicle to inflate the value of the underlying crypto currencies they are based on. Months back it spread through online designer / artist communities, with people ‘minting’ digital files into NFT’s via Etherium, in particular, then trying to sell them on, again usually for more Etherium.

Broadly, it presents as a get rich quick scheme. You don’t own anything, not the artwork, not a file, you just have a link to a server where the jpeg or whatever is sits. Artists flooded in, spending money to mint in search of profits, with each new wave encouraged to buy first, like a pyramid scheme, the new ones pay off the ones before them.

On top of all this, most importantly, is the vast, vast amount of energy crypto mining uses. If this was just idiots wasting money with other idiots, fine, we’ve had betting sponsors in the past, but idiots wasting money while burning holes into the ozone layer, I draw the line.

How this specific version will work? I expect the company will try and sell Hibs fans NFTs of player images for whatever cost, with the ‘promise’ that these are valuable collectors items, but ultimately if nobody bids, the value tanks, as quickly happened to a lot of those sucked into the art / design community variant.

At the end of the day, if anyone wants to pay money for a link to a server hosting a photo of Martin Boyle that the company won’t even promise to keep turned on for any length of time, I’d say they’re a moron.

You should be contacting the club about this. The whole thing stinks.

AugustaHibs
10-09-2021, 07:47 PM
I think Bill Gates might be running DiscoDoidge’s account tonight - he certainly seems to be an IT expert 😂😂😂😂

It’s the two doses of the vaccine speaking…

lord bunberry
10-09-2021, 07:52 PM
Me too.
Indeed :greengrin

Stairway 2 7
10-09-2021, 07:52 PM
You should be contacting the club about this. The whole thing stinks.

300,000 minimum I fear it will be a very short conversation

Jones28
10-09-2021, 08:11 PM
Someone is going to have to actually fundamentally explain and provide actually data as to why the club should be getting lambasted for for signing up to this.

Scott b has provided the best explanation, still not got a ****ing clue as to what crypto currencies actually do like.

Iggy Pope
10-09-2021, 08:14 PM
Absolutely no idea what this is.
So far I have read we are getting a significant six figure fee for the next 3 years, it's a con, it's got a huge carbon footprints, it's virtual and not real?

Can honestly say I don't have a clue about this.

And match programmes are now bad, don’t forget that bit.

Jones28
10-09-2021, 08:21 PM
So if nobody buys any of these things, and the club have their minimum 300k guaranteed then who’s getting hurt?

MyJo
10-09-2021, 08:23 PM
These NFT’s are just going to be the modern version of collectibles like trading cards and so on have been in the past.

Personally i think its a load of guff and wont be putting any money towards it but thats probably just a sign that i’m getting old and i dont understand or trust it.

its money coming into the club so cant argue with that. Its the same as Utilita, terry healey group & eden mill. None of which i use personally but more than happy to take thier money

JimBHibees
10-09-2021, 08:30 PM
Money for the club a good thing.

ScottB
10-09-2021, 09:01 PM
These NFT’s are just going to be the modern version of collectibles like trading cards and so on have been in the past.

Personally i think its a load of guff and wont be putting any money towards it but thats probably just a sign that i’m getting old and i dont understand or trust it.

its money coming into the club so cant argue with that. Its the same as Utilita, terry healey group & eden mill. None of which i use personally but more than happy to take thier money

Given one of utilitia’s apparent goals as a brand is to reduce wasted energy, I’d be interested to see if they have a reaction to the arrival of this thing; one Etherium ‘transaction’ burns up about as much energy as the average house does in a day and a half.

DaveF
10-09-2021, 09:06 PM
one Etherium ‘transaction’ burns up about as much energy as the average house does in a day and a half.

I'm clearly being thick but I don't get this at all. Can someone really, really dumb it down for the stupid among us 🙂

Mon Dieu4
10-09-2021, 09:14 PM

Yep, should see how much skins and other collectibles in computer games can actually be sold for, its mental but the times are changing

ScottB
10-09-2021, 09:14 PM
I'm clearly being thick but I don't get this at all. Can someone really, really dumb it down for the stupid among us 🙂

Basically, these various crypto coins are ‘mined’ by having a bunch of computers solve increasingly complex calculations. Solve enough of them, and a new coin is generated.

But it takes more and more calculations to make new coins, so now you have people running gigantic facilities full of computers just churning away doing this. Takes a lot of energy to run those.

Bitcoin, the largest of the various ones out there, uses more energy a year than most countries do.

DaveF
10-09-2021, 09:29 PM
Basically, these various crypto coins are ‘mined’ by having a bunch of computers solve increasingly complex calculations. Solve enough of them, and a new coin is generated.

But it takes more and more calculations to make new coins, so now you have people running gigantic facilities full of computers just churning away doing this. Takes a lot of energy to run those.

Bitcoin, the largest of the various ones out there, uses more energy a year than most countries do.

Thanks.

I guess everyone on the PM board bitcoin thread is busy planting trees as payback....

Just_Jimmy
10-09-2021, 09:29 PM
Morals or not, STOP PUTTING ***** LOGOS ON THE HIBS TOP!

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Tobias Funke
10-09-2021, 09:31 PM
Loving the faux outrage on here about carbon footprint from folk that probably have a daily one equivalent to the size of a Herbridean island.

Not to worry though, you all sound incredibly intelligent, informed and knowledgeable. :rolleyes:

AugustaHibs
10-09-2021, 09:45 PM
Loving the faux outrage on here about carbon footprint from folk that probably have a daily one equivalent to the size of a Herbridean island.

Not to worry though, you all sound incredibly intelligent, informed and knowledgeable. :rolleyes:

I couldn’t really care less to be honest.

Just find it a bit rich considering the club love to mention that we are the greenest club in Scotland

SaulGoodman
10-09-2021, 10:57 PM

So why does a computer solving a calculation generate a coin, and what gives these coins value?

My heads burst

WhileTheChief..
10-09-2021, 11:10 PM

There's crypto farms in China that use more power than some small countries. The energy consumption is mind-blowingly huge yet very little attention is given to it.

Jones28
10-09-2021, 11:12 PM
There's crypto farms in China that use more power than some small countries. The energy consumption is mind-blowingly huge yet very little attention is given to it.

Aye but… why?

SMAXXA
10-09-2021, 11:12 PM

But what if the energy is from sustainable sources?

Stairway 2 7
10-09-2021, 11:21 PM

That makes me feel a bit more pointless, that I switched to energy saving bulbs to help the planet 😆

Glory Lurker
10-09-2021, 11:23 PM
That makes me feel a bit more pointless, that I switched to energy saving bulbs to help the planet 😆

Keep the faith.

WhileTheChief..
10-09-2021, 11:25 PM
Around 45% of crypto mining is done in China. Cheap electricity in their coal power producing regions.

Interestingly, they have recently clamped down on it and Khazakstan is now a major player for the same reasons - cheap electricity from coal fired power plants.

Everything you need to know....

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/18/blockchain-what-is-it-and-how-does-it-work.html

Cracking read for a Friday night.

WhileTheChief..
10-09-2021, 11:37 PM
Someone is going to have to actually fundamentally explain and provide actually data as to why the club should be getting lambasted for for signing up to this.

Scott b has provided the best explanation, still not got a ****ing clue as to what crypto currencies actually do like.

They allow wealthy drug lords and other criminals to send vast amounts of money around the world without being seen.

In future, they could be how all of us spend money on a daily basis. No more banks as we know them.

Ok, so it's only 2 sentences, but it's a pretty damn good, quick fire summary for you.

truehibernian
10-09-2021, 11:49 PM
They allow wealthy drug lords and other criminals to send vast amounts of money around the world without being seen.

In future, they could be how all of us spend money on a daily basis. No more banks as we know them.

Ok, so it's only 2 sentences, but it's a pretty damn good, quick fire summary for you.

As long as a jumbo spiced haggis supper at Stefanos remains £6.20 and they don’t demand crypto or Bitcoin when I’m Lilian Gished I don’t really care 😂

We’ll all die soon, the earth is destined to explode anyway, theyre both unavoidable facts - I’ll do my bit always for a greener world but won’t lose my **** over a sponsorship deal. That’s not a dig at your post or summary either mate, just my own wee thoughts on things.

When you look at what the super powers have done to harm the world over centuries, humans are already on a pathway to self destruction- a badge on shorts and shirts is the least of our worries.

HFC93
10-09-2021, 11:54 PM
I'm raging about this. I've no idea why but I am.

WhileTheChief..
11-09-2021, 12:13 AM
Think you'll be good at Stefano's for the foreseeable :aok:

Jamesie
11-09-2021, 04:18 AM
So why does a computer solving a calculation generate a coin, and what gives these coins value?

My heads burst

Therein lies the question that is, basically, unanswerable by any of these cryptocurrencies. Money in your pocket or your bank account is issued / backed by Government and its underlying assets. Cryptos on the other hand have none of that. What gives their value? Supply and demand really, but valuations do fluctuate widely - bitcoin regularly surges and crashes. There’ll only apparently ever be a finite amount of most currencies ever able to be “mined”, which also plays a factor.

I personally wouldn’t go near NFTs as an investment.

Jamesie
11-09-2021, 04:25 AM

Difference being that with your Panini sticker album, you actually have a physical item that you can look at and hold. With NFTs, you have none of that.

stuart-farquhar
11-09-2021, 04:54 AM
Whatever it is I don't like it.

Bangkok Hibby
11-09-2021, 05:21 AM
Me too.

I'm leaving this alone too. I'm not clued up enough to comment other than to say that hasn't stopped a few posters already.

uwxm07
11-09-2021, 05:22 AM
From the on line Oxford English Dictionary
"As verbs the difference between revolutionise and revolutionize. is that revolutionise is to radically or significantly change, as in a revolution while revolutionize is to radically or significantly change, as in a revolution."
It appears we are being AmericaniZed in more ways than one.

hibee-boys
11-09-2021, 06:05 AM
Didn’t someone pay a ridiculous amount of money to digitally own (yes, I know there’ll be a more technical term for this) the first tweet? Similar to a work of art I guess. It may well be that in the future we buy more digital collectibles, is it any different to buying a painting and hanging it in your living room, only these would be digitally displayed, maybe we’ll see digital stamp collectors! None of that interest me but it’s probably the future. I’m nowhere near informed enough to pass judgment on the company or the club around any environmental impact, at the moment I’m more concerned with wether this deal will help us beat them on Sunday🤷🏼😂

Juniper Greens
11-09-2021, 07:12 AM
Sorry, but NFTs dont use energy in the same way that Crypto does. People who don't fully understand something have just started mouthing off...not usually the case on .net haha

Stairway 2 7
11-09-2021, 07:29 AM
Sorry, but NFTs dont use energy in the same way that Crypto does. People who don't fully understand something have just started mouthing off...not usually the case on .net haha

Are nfts linked linked to a crypto or are they solely collectables, can they be mined. Trying to get my head round it.

Brightside
11-09-2021, 08:07 AM

I’m not bothered about the green aspect. It’s just a load of nonsense and worried people will start buying in at the the ridiculous high they are at and lose a bundle. I hope hibs are getting loads for it.

superfurryhibby
11-09-2021, 08:14 AM
Regardless of the carbon footprint or pyramids, what is certain is that there is nothing more easily parted than a fool and their money. Loadae utter ***** and no more likely to entice me to open my wallet than marathon bet or a host of other “unethical “ sponsors that we’ve had in the past.

Stairway 2 7
11-09-2021, 08:16 AM
I’m not bothered about the green aspect. It’s just a load of nonsense and worried people will start buying in at the the ridiculous high they are at and lose a bundle. I hope hibs are getting loads for it.

300,000 k minimum. I can't see people seriously investing much in it, certainly not in the same way people play high risk high cast with Bitcoin

Ship Hibs
11-09-2021, 08:27 AM
And match programmes are now bad, don’t forget that bit.

Yea Hiibs intentions are obviously in the right place but they’re coming across as a bit out their depth with some of their recent decisions. How can you stop a match day programme that is produced on paper which is essentially a crop that is farmed and regrown (with baby trees actually soaking up more carbon) and then recyclable but on the other hand get into bed with a company that’s contributing to hosting data on banks of plastic computers that will likely be landfilled in a few years.

Hope Hibs tone it down with their environmental claims until they get someone on the board that’s got some in depth knowledge of all of this or they might end up looking a bit foolish.

Since452
11-09-2021, 08:28 AM
Morals or not, STOP PUTTING ***** LOGOS ON THE HIBS TOP!

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Depends how many hundreds of thousands it's worth 😉

Since452
11-09-2021, 08:32 AM
Remember when folk were having meltdowns that we couldn't attract a shirt sponsor? Now we have 3 on our kit bringing in an absolute fortune and folk are having meltdowns. Tremendous viewing.

Stairway 2 7
11-09-2021, 08:34 AM
Yea Hiibs intentions are obviously in the right place but they’re coming across as a bit out their depth with some of their recent decisions. How can you stop a match day programme that is produced on paper which is essentially a crop that is farmed and regrown (with baby trees actually soaking up more carbon) and then recyclable but on the other hand get into bed with a company that’s contributing to hosting data on banks of plastic computers that will likely be landfilled in a few years.

Hope Hibs tone it down with their environmental claims until they get someone on the board that’s got some in depth knowledge of all of this or they might end up looking a bit foolish.

If we don't accept companies that store stuff on computer we'll have very little sponsor opportunities.

superfurryhibby
11-09-2021, 08:37 AM

What other recent decisions have the club made where they look out of their depth?

Hibs accept cash by sucking the devil’s cock, that’s football and lets not pretend it’s particularly different for many/ any club playing top flight football.

Where do you draw the line? Sky TV, widespread sponsorship from drink and betting companies, ruthless capitalist pig ownership......? interesting to try and understand the mechanics of the moral high ground in all of this for me and for many other fans.

Keith_M
11-09-2021, 08:39 AM
NFTs are not the same as crypto-currency.

They are even less comparable to watching a movie on Netflix (a very strange comparison)

FWIW, I do agree that a fool and his money are easily parted, and that definitely applies to NFTs.

But we all waste money on pretty stupid things, so wire in.

Fuzzywuzzy
Looking at the website even the named people seem like bots. Twitter accounts with very little that have been open for years and LinkedIn with no profile pics for someone you would be expecting to promote themselves

Ship Hibs
Remember when folk were having meltdowns that we couldn't attract a shirt sponsor? Now we have 3 on our kit bringing in an absolute fortune and folk are having meltdowns. Tremendous viewing.

Can’t imagine this latest one bringing in much. I know Hibs have said it’s a six figure sum but that’s probably just a bit of spin, it will likely be some share of sales deal so if no one buys these things we probably won’t see much cash from it.

Peevemor
11-09-2021, 08:42 AM
Regardless of the carbon footprint or pyramids, what is certain is that there is nothing more easily parted than a fool and their money. Loadae utter ***** and no more likely to entice me to open my wallet than marathon bet or a host of other “unethical “ sponsors that we’ve had in the past.Unethical or not, I think Carlsberg are probably... the only shirt sponsor that I've used - and very, very little at that.

Stairway 2 7
11-09-2021, 08:42 AM
Looking at the website even the named people seem like bots. Twitter accounts with very little that have been open for years and LinkedIn with no profile pics for someone you would be expecting to promote themselves

Hopefully they use there bots to promote us. I notice they done a deal with showtime in the US to be main sponsor of jake Paul fight, they must have some cash. Well I guess they do if they can chuck 300,000 at fairly small club like us

Peevemor
11-09-2021, 08:43 AM
Can’t imagine this latest one bringing in much. I know Hibs have said it’s a six figure sum but that’s probably just a bit of spin, it will likely be some share of sales deal so if no one buys these things we probably won’t see much cash from it.The 6 figures per year will be guaranteed, otherwise they would have said "potentially" or something similar.

Stairway 2 7
11-09-2021, 08:46 AM
Unethical or not, I think Carlsberg are probably... the only shirt sponsor that I've used - and very, very little at that.

Carlsberg is bowf, Eden Mill quite nice. I've had whyte and mackay and I only wear macbean protective clothing

WhileTheChief..
11-09-2021, 08:51 AM
Are nfts linked linked to a crypto or are they solely collectables, can they be mined. Trying to get my head round it.

NFTs use blockchain technology in the same way as cryptocurrencies but that's the only similarity.

Think of blockchain as being fancy encryption, nothing more.

Ship Hibs
11-09-2021, 08:55 AM
What other recent decisions have the club made where they look out of their depth?

Hibs accept cash by sucking the devil’s cock, that’s football and lets not pretend it’s particularly different for many/ any club playing top flight football.

Where do you draw the line? Sky TV, widespread sponsorship from drink and betting companies, ruthless capitalist pig ownership......? interesting to try and understand the mechanics of the moral high ground in all of this for me and for many other fans.

Yea that’s what I’m getting at we shouldn’t be shouting about being uber environmental when the business of football is basically to encourage fans to burn fuel travelling to games and purchase fast fashion kits. Hibs would be better quietly doing what the see as the right thing rather that making a big deal about being uber environmental and setting themselves up for a fall

Stairway 2 7
11-09-2021, 08:58 AM
NFTs use blockchain technology in the same way as cryptocurrencies but that's the only similarity.

Think of blockchain as being fancy encryption, nothing more.

Ah so no mining so don't see the environmental problem in the same way. Just a tiny stock exchange for collectibles worth nothing in the real world. Bit like art I suppose millions for a bit of canvas. Yes you can touch that but we are going more online. People pay loads online for skins for their computer characters in the same way, which is daft aswell I suppose

worcesterhibby
11-09-2021, 09:02 AM
We need commercial income to improve the team. If you don’t want a limited edition digital collectible of Dirk Lehman’s ear plaster, don’t buy one.

ScottB
11-09-2021, 09:21 AM
The NFT’s including the ones offered by our new sponsor, are minted with and only purchasable via crypto, you aren’t going to be able to send them £20 for your shiny Doig GIF, so no, they aren’t less environmentally damaging than just trading in crypto.

https://www.sportemongo.com/how-to-buy/

Once you cut through the gibberish, this page says;

Trade your money for fake digital money, give it to us, we’ll give you an NFT, which you must hold on to forever, yet will somehow ‘earn’ you more money.

If you take all the complexity and environmental stuff out, it’s still just utter nonsense at its core. I hope there aren’t any Hibs fans who can’t afford to lose money end up getting lured in by the promises of the swarm of crypto bots that descended onto the clubs post.

Stairway 2 7
11-09-2021, 09:30 AM
The NFT’s including the ones offered by our new sponsor, are minted with and only purchasable via crypto, you aren’t going to be able to send them £20 for your shiny Doig GIF, so no, they aren’t less environmentally damaging than just trading in crypto.

https://www.sportemongo.com/how-to-buy/

Once you cut through the gibberish, this page says;

Trade your money for fake digital money, give it to us, we’ll give you an NFT, which you must hold on to forever, yet will somehow ‘earn’ you more money.

If you take all the complexity and environmental stuff out, it’s still just utter nonsense at its core. I hope there aren’t any Hibs fans who can’t afford to lose money end up getting lured in by the promises of the swarm of crypto bots that descended onto the clubs post.

https://youtu.be/fD0IHOU1dq4
Watched the video on the page and it seems too many steps for your casual browser with no priorknowledge. I think you would have to be down the rabbit hole of crypto already to get involved. Well hopefully as it's a pile of absolute nonsense

ScottB
11-09-2021, 09:48 AM
https://youtu.be/fD0IHOU1dq4
Watched the video on the page and it seems too many steps for your casual browser with no priorknowledge. I think you would have to be down the rabbit hole of crypto already to get involved. Well hopefully as it's a pile of absolute nonsense

Quite probably, in that you’ll have folk buying it because it’s an NFT, and they’re way down that rabbit hole enough to believe that any NFT means big money for them. That it’s anything to do with Hibs wouldn’t register for these folks.

tamig
11-09-2021, 10:40 AM
So if nobody buys any of these things, and the club have their minimum 300k guaranteed then who’s getting hurt?

It seems like the Sun could set the planet on fire. No point in 300k if we’re all vapourized.

G15 Hibs
11-09-2021, 11:28 AM
Carlsberg is bowf, Eden Mill quite nice. I've had whyte and mackay and I only wear macbean protective clothing

I don't think I ever figured out what Insave did. Probably nothing as arcane as this.

For what it's worth, I can't get past the feeling that someone is making a lot of money out of exploiting folk, or is at least trying to. But isn't that always the way? Should Hibs have an ethical stance on potential sponsors? I'd love it if they did, but we live in the real world.

w pilton hibby
11-09-2021, 11:58 AM
And there's more

https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/hibernian-announce-new-partnership

Jones28
11-09-2021, 12:07 PM
And there's more

I can’t get behind this at all.

Bridge hibs
11-09-2021, 12:12 PM
And there's more

https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/hibernian-announce-new-partnershipGreat, certainly tying up those sponsors, must be a fair bit going into the coffers now

Mikey_1875
11-09-2021, 12:15 PM
And there's more

Glad for the extra money, the amount of logos on our kit now is bounty upset a few though:duck:

lord bunberry
11-09-2021, 12:18 PM
Glad for the extra money, the amount of logos on our kit now is bounty upset a few though:duck:
Let’s keep this on topic.

Allez Hibs
11-09-2021, 12:18 PM
And there's more

It seems like the club take will take money to be sponsored by anyone.

I really wish the club made a stand and didn't have a gambling partner.

Gambling sponsorship should be like tobacco sponsorship - not allowed.

What area of the shirt doesn't have sponsors logo on it?

Callum_62
11-09-2021, 12:23 PM
Certainly making up for lost revenue in previous years https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210911/71e535c6b074d9fecb339c1d010bbf3e.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

CallumHibs07
11-09-2021, 12:26 PM
Would people rather we bring in less money for non-gambling sponsors and therefore have less money to spend on players?

People complain at lack of investment but still complain because we have too many sponsors/they aren't the ones they like. Can't have it both ways.

Billy Whizz
11-09-2021, 12:38 PM
I’m presuming these deals will be the sort of things we’ll see on the new screens

Ozyhibby
11-09-2021, 12:46 PM
Good players cost money. This massive rise in sponsorship income is crucial if we want to double the wage bill as RG stated was the clubs aim.

Northernhibee
11-09-2021, 12:49 PM
I can’t get behind this at all.

Bookies are ****. Preying on the most vulnerable of society. You don’t see walls of bookmakers in well off areas.

hibee-boys
11-09-2021, 12:51 PM
Keep the ££££££ rolling in Hibs👍

WhileTheChief..
11-09-2021, 12:53 PM
Red or green logo on the shorts? :confused:

Ozyhibby
11-09-2021, 12:54 PM
Bookies are ****. Preying on the most vulnerable of society. You don’t see walls of bookmakers in well off areas.

It’s a lot harder to become well off if you frequent the bookies.

MyJo
11-09-2021, 12:59 PM

Do you feel the same about pubs?

truehibernian
11-09-2021, 01:02 PM

A Hills and Ladbrokes in Morningside, a bookies on Raeburn Place, Stockbridge, two in Murrayfield, three in Corstorphine off the top of my head , two just along from the Grange area - it’s a bit like blaming Tennants for creating alcoholics NH.

It’s a really difficult moral dilemma NH, admittedly. Yes, it can be an addiction but having lived with someone who managed a shop, and went into the online market, they do have measures to try and prevent anyone getting into difficulty. I do sympathise with anyone with addiction but it’s a generalisation to carte blanche blame the sector for preying on vulnerability.

ScottB
11-09-2021, 01:12 PM
Ultimately, Hibs can be sponsored by whomever offers the most cash, if that’s what the club wants, but then it needs to avoid the hypocrisy.

Don’t claim to be the greenest club in Scotland when you’re sponsored by crypto.

Don’t claim to want to improve the mental health and lives of supporters while promoting bookies at them.

Don’t claim to be pushing healthy options for food and drink while advertising booze.

And so on. If Hibs just want to be a football club, then fine, this stuff doesn’t matter. When the club appears to also want to take moral positions and claim to be a leader in, or concerned about, specific causes, then the companies it chooses to associate with and promote need to align, otherwise, as said, it just comes across as hypocritical.

Allez Hibs
11-09-2021, 01:15 PM
Ultimately, Hibs can be sponsored by whomever offers the most cash, if that’s what the club wants, but then it needs to avoid the hypocrisy.

Don’t claim to be the greenest club in Scotland when you’re sponsored by crypto.

Don’t claim to want to improve the mental health and lives of supporters while promoting bookies at them.

Don’t claim to be pushing healthy options for food and drink while advertising booze.

And so on. If Hibs just want to be a football club, then fine, this stuff doesn’t matter. When the club appears to also want to take moral positions and claim to be a leader in, or concerned about, specific causes, then the companies it chooses to associate with and promote need to align, otherwise, as said, it just comes across as hypocritical.
Community club and greenest club in Scotland spring to mind.

It does seem like the club is changing direction from the Leann Dempster era with all these partnerships and sponsorships which are questionable to some.

MikeyS
11-09-2021, 01:20 PM

Should we close the hospitality options for matches too, remove chips, pizza, pies, sweets from the kiosks??

ScottB
11-09-2021, 01:22 PM
Should we close the hospitality options for matches too, remove chips, pizza, pies, sweets from the kiosks??

That’s not what I said. If Hibs, for example, announced they wanted to be the healthiest club in Scotland, and to make the support healthier, should they be sponsored by, and sell, junk food?

There’s nothing wrong with Hibs flogging us pizza, but it becomes a bit tiresome and hypocritical if they try to do it while claiming the opposite.

Bridge hibs
11-09-2021, 01:25 PM

It does seem like the club is changing direction from the Leann Dempster era with all these partnerships and sponsorships which are questionable to some.We can still be the greenest club in Scotland, how do other Scottish clubs operate in comparison ?

Peevemor
11-09-2021, 01:34 PM
That’s not what I said. If Hibs, for example, announced they wanted to be the healthiest club in Scotland, and to make the support healthier, should they be sponsored by, and sell, junk food?

There’s nothing wrong with Hibs flogging us pizza, but it becomes a bit tiresome and hypocritical if they try to do it while claiming the opposite.Hibs sell what they think will sell most. I know that if I buy a snack at an event, whether it's part of a healthy, balanced diet couldn't be further from my mind. That doesn't mean that Hibs can't also try to encourage supporters to look after themselves better.

hhibs
11-09-2021, 01:40 PM

It does seem like the club is changing direction from the Leann Dempster era with all these partnerships and sponsorships which are questionable to some.

That was a time when our commercial activities were incredibly poor,always seems to be glossed over .

Pretty Boy
11-09-2021, 01:50 PM
Gambling sponsorship will go the same way as tobacco and alcohol soon enough in that it will be banned altogether or extremely tightly regulated.

It's probably one that I find harder to turn a blind eye to given the way the industry very deliberately preys on the vulnerable. However as I said earlier in the thread if others are doing it then having principles is something we can ill afford.

Advertising evolves. I passed a sunbed shop the other day with a sign in the window extolling the health benefits of vitamin D and telling people a sunbed was a great way to get some. Skybet tell us 'it matters more when there is money on it'. That's the same as Guinness being allowed to say it was good for you or cigarette brands claiming more doctors smoked them in days gone by. Neither will be allowed for much longer, same as the latter 2 no longer are.

AliboyFC
11-09-2021, 01:55 PM

Yeh hate them my dads a gamble addict.

RyeSloan
11-09-2021, 01:58 PM

It certainly is changing direction and ultimately for the better I think.

OK some will have a moral objection to drink, gambling and crypto sponsorship and that’s fair enough but personally I don’t give a hoot of Hibs have a gambling firm sponsor on their shorts. It’s clear that’s where the sponsorship coin is so that’s where we need to take it from.

Footballing success is directly (not totally before someone jumps in!) correlated to how much you can spend and it’s been clear for ages we were under performing in the revenue stakes.

Leanne liked to largely side step that inconvenient fact by spouting altruistic ambitions for the club. Very few of which ever seemed to come to anything beyond words and certainly seemed to achieve little tangible reward in terms of increasing revenue for the club.

For one I’m pleased those days are over as they appeared to achieve the square root of nothing (barring losing the supporters bar of course!) and our new owners are rather more focused on generating revenue to plough back into the team on the park.

Dalianwanda
11-09-2021, 02:00 PM

In what way does this stop the club itself being green? Do we need to do due diligence on the carbon footprint of our sponsors? You could say it’s hypocritical but then again you could say what are the measurements that we draw the line at?

Bangkok Hibby
11-09-2021, 02:05 PM
Keep the ££££££ rolling in Hibs👍

Yea c'mon, American owner who knows how to bring the cash in. Spend plenty on the team and start challenging at least for third/second place every year. Its time to change and that time is rapidly approaching. Fans can moan all they want about business decisions and its up to them if they stop supporting their team but its happening.

Jones28
11-09-2021, 02:06 PM
In what way does this stop the club itself being green? Do we need to do due diligence on the carbon footprint of our sponsors? You could say it’s hypocritical but then again you could say what are the measurements that we draw the line at?

Well by taking money for sponsorship from a company that is engaged in such an energy heavy industry I’d say it’s a real kick in the balls for the “greenest club” idea. That’s where I would draw the line.

Dalianwanda
11-09-2021, 02:28 PM
Well by taking money for sponsorship from a company that is engaged in such an energy heavy industry I’d say it’s a real kick in the balls for the “greenest club” idea. That’s where I would draw the line.

Still not sure what the line is compared to other sponsors? Pretty subjective.

Pretty Boy
11-09-2021, 02:53 PM
I'm maybe contradicting myself a bit when I said earlier that hard nosed business means we need to take sponsors we don't necessarily approve of morally. On the flip side though is there an argument that in the medium to long term being ahead of the curve with regards to new sponsorships is a smart move?

You don't have to think back that long to remember when we played in the Bells Premier League. Teams kits were emblazoned with McEwans, Carlsberg, Strongbow, Magners, Famous Grouse, Tennents, Carling, Whyte & MacKay etc. Do any teams have a main shirt sponsor that is an alcohol brand these days? Likewise how many of us remembering watching F1 as drivers stepped out head to toe in logos for Marlboro, Rothmans Lucky Strike and Camel. Then a night in front of the telly to watch snooker players compete for the Embassy World Championship and the B&H Masters.

Most of the above is within a single generation but the world has changed at pace. We are already seeing a tightening of regulations around high Street gambling and it's likely the online market will be hit next. Regulation around alcohol advertising has tightened hugely in recent years and the same is happening to junk food with increased restrictions about when adverts can be broadcast and who they can be targeted at.

'Aye but fitba fans like that stuff' only holds so far. It would be naive in the extreme to think we can rely on certain industries forever.

Andy74
11-09-2021, 02:54 PM
Still not sure what the line is compared to other sponsors? Pretty subjective.

It’s a bit like saying we shouldn’t sell strips by quoting the carbon footprint of running a substantial delivery service.

WhileTheChief..
11-09-2021, 03:12 PM

Hope so. I never really bought into LDs community club stuff.

tamig
11-09-2021, 03:13 PM
Red or green logo on the shorts? :confused:

What does it matter? Did you not see the pic on the previous page?

WhileTheChief..
11-09-2021, 03:18 PM
Sustainable fashion is an issue for some people.

Maybe we should only change kit every 3 years or so?

Everybody has a thing they care about. The club can’t possibly cater for everyone’s moral crusade though.

tamig
11-09-2021, 03:19 PM
That was a time when our commercial activities were incredibly poor,always seems to be glossed over .

And when we had a bookie on the front of the strip and an alcohol
brand on the back as well.

WhileTheChief..
11-09-2021, 03:20 PM
What does it matter? Did you not see the pic on the previous page?

Of course it matters.

Yeah I saw the pic but that wasn’t a Hibs strip and on the website announcement it’s in red :confused:

RyeSloan
11-09-2021, 03:28 PM
I'm maybe contradicting myself a bit when I said earlier that hard nosed business means we need to take sponsors we don't necessarily approve of morally. On the flip side though is there an argument that in the medium to long term being ahead of the curve with regards to new sponsorships is a smart move?

You don't have to think back that long to remember when we played in the Bells Premier League. Teams kits were emblazoned with McEwans, Carlsberg, Strongbow, Magners, Famous Grouse, Tennents, Carling, Whyte & MacKay etc. Do any teams have a main shirt sponsor that is an alcohol brand these days? Likewise how many of us remembering watching F1 as drivers stepped out head to toe in logos for Marlboro, Rothmans Lucky Strike and Camel. Then a night in front of the telly to watch snooker players compete for the Embassy World Championship and the B&H Masters.

Most of the above is within a single generation but the world has changed at pace. We are already seeing a tightening of regulations around high Street gambling and it's likely the online market will be hit next. Regulation around alcohol advertising has tightened hugely in recent years and the same is happening to junk food with increased restrictions about when adverts can be broadcast and who they can be targeted at.

'Aye but fitba fans like that stuff' only holds so far. It would be naive in the extreme to think we can rely on certain industries forever.

You point kind of illustrates that we don’t have to rely on certain industries forever but that at any moment in time some industries will be heavier promotors than others.

When the change happens we simply roll onto the next industry paying the money.

Look at the league, sponsored by an online car company. Something that probably wasn’t really conceivable even 5 / 10 years ago (who the hell would buy a car online!) but here we are.

And I suppose you could argue that a crypto sponsor is the cutting edge of new types of sponsors…clearly some don’t like them either but you can’t argue that it’s a nascent industry which may or may not end up being big sponsors of clubs for many years to come.

Northernhibee
11-09-2021, 03:33 PM
A Hills and Ladbrokes in Morningside, a bookies on Raeburn Place, Stockbridge, two in Murrayfield, three in Corstorphine off the top of my head , two just along from the Grange area - it’s a bit like blaming Tennants for creating alcoholics NH.

It’s a really difficult moral dilemma NH, admittedly. Yes, it can be an addiction but having lived with someone who managed a shop, and went into the online market, they do have measures to try and prevent anyone getting into difficulty. I do sympathise with anyone with addiction but it’s a generalisation to carte blanche blame the sector for preying on vulnerability.

If pubs started gifting six packs of lager to recovering alcoholics and not leaving them alone then I’d agree with you.

There’s enough stories of gambling addicts being offered tickets to major sports events, special offers, dedicated people to “look after them” in terms of freebies etc. to get them back into the habit to say that it’s really not a like for like situation. Add to that shops absolutely everywhere to get round the rules on number of FOBTs in one premises and it’s impossible to defend the gambling industry.

The alcohol industry fell in line with the letter and intention of the law in recent years and it’s absolutely time for the gambling industry to do so as well.

Eyrie
11-09-2021, 03:55 PM
Worth noting that this is only on the men's shorts and not the women's. I don't think the SWPL allows gambling sponsors.

Andy74
11-09-2021, 04:05 PM
Worth noting that this is only on the men's shorts and not the women's. I don't think the SWPL allows gambling sponsors.

None of the sponsors are on the women’s kit and what does gambling have to do with it?

It is also on the shirt not the shorts.

Rumble de Thump
11-09-2021, 04:07 PM
People are mining Ethereum because of the high value of them. Not because of NFTs, although NFTs use Ethereum. The best explanation I heard was that a subway uses the same kind of power whether people are actually using it or not. There can be an indirect link to a carbon footprint but not a direct link.

Perd Hapley
11-09-2021, 04:22 PM

This is it. We've gone from being ahead of the curve (where Hibernian should always be) in moving on from gambling/alcohol sponsorships to following the pack. NFTs are hip and trendy in contrast but equally ethically questionable. Whether this company will be accepting Ether or not they'll at best be a gateway for some to other NFTs and the concern about contradicting the 'greenest club in Scotland' stuff is quite valid I think, but I'm more concerned about bigger reputational damage to the club.

NFTs are a fad largely pushed by cynical people in order to exploit artists in the first instance and the gullible/vulnerable in the second (obv that doesn't describe every transaction and there are artists who push their own NFTs which is at least more honest but nevertheless), and in the eyes of many analysts they're also an economic bubble set to pop like Dutch tulips, early websites, baseball cards or as others have pointed out Football Index - which was a more explicit case of exploiting the vague line between gambling and investment (and football fandom) but shared a lot of the same themes: there will be people who will lose significant amounts of money on these Hibs NFTs because they've been persuaded via marketing that it's a worthwhile investment, and we can shrug our shoulders and joke about fools being parted from their money but that's not going to help the victims and it's not going to make this situation look any better in hindsight 10 years down the line when NFTs are more widely understood as the snake oil they are. It's going to look like the club willingly took marketing cash and drew up a working agreement with a company little better than a poundshop Enron, because that's what they've done. I find it pretty inexplicable that I know more about NFTs than marketing professionals at the club, which leads to me to believe that they know better and are moving on with it anyway because money talks.

I'm actually sympathetic to people who say the club should put the bottom line first but I think as a support and club we're being naïve if we think we can just focus on the cash and presume none of this is ever going to come back to bite us. Lots of Hearts fans still haven't forgotten their Wonga sponsorship - nor should they - and while I'm glad we never stooped that low this stuff matters to the reputation of the club in the long run.

There's a great book called Why England Lose which is all about the economics of football and among many surprising conclusions one of the key ones is that when football clubs are run purely as businesses, not only does the football suffer but the business does too. There are several reasons given for this for this but most them can be summed up by saying that passion and authenticity are the lifeblood of football and it really doesn't take a lot of commercialism for those to be compromised - advertising arrangements created specifically to exploit vulnerable fans is one way to go about it, especially in an era where there's a bit more of an onus on clubs to know better. Our club's strength lies in its community roots and I think we'd broadly all agree that those roots have got stronger since relegation - I might be in the minority in spitting the dummy out at these sponsorships but I seriously worry that they indicate executives at the club are now taking that connection for granted.

Andy74
11-09-2021, 04:23 PM
People are mining Ethereum because of the high value of them. Not because of NFTs, although NFTs use Ethereum. The best explanation I heard was that a subway uses the same kind of power whether people are actually using it or not. There can be an indirect link to a carbon footprint but not a direct link.

Sort of although Ethereum isn’t just the currency. There are thousands of applications in Ethereum.

Rumble de Thump
11-09-2021, 04:28 PM
Sort of although Ethereum isn’t just the currency. There are thousands of applications in Ethereum.

Yeah. I was basically talking about Ether. It's mainly mined as an investment. I was at the Blockchain Epxo in London last week. Pretty interesting stuff but I think it's not most people's cup of tea 😄

Bridge hibs
11-09-2021, 04:35 PM
Im not getting this vulnerable stuff, Im an ex chain smoker, obese (no stranger to a Greggs sausage roll or 10) loved a piss up, liked the odd bet, Im compulsive, bought P&D windows which were ***** and bought plumbing joints from Grahams.

Hibs are my addiction, anything else is just a minor distraction, if Im going to meet my maker its my/hibs fault, not a ****ing crypto coin, a dodgy bet or a rancid beer

tamig
11-09-2021, 04:44 PM
Of course it matters.

Yeah I saw the pic but that wasn’t a Hibs strip and on the website announcement it’s in red :confused:

They already sponsor another club who play in green. The logo on their shorts is green. What makes you think we’d get the corporate red? Seems like they’re keen to match the club branding. And why does it matter exactly? We’ve had red on a sponsors logo before.

Andy74
11-09-2021, 04:47 PM
This is it. We've gone from being ahead of the curve (where Hibernian should always be) in moving on from gambling/alcohol sponsorships to following the pack. NFTs are hip and trendy in contrast but equally ethically questionable. Whether this company will be accepting Ether or not they'll at best be a gateway for some to other NFTs and the concern about contradicting the 'greenest club in Scotland' stuff is quite valid I think, but I'm more concerned about bigger reputational damage to the club.

NFTs are a fad largely pushed by cynical people in order to exploit artists in the first instance and the gullible/vulnerable in the second (obv that doesn't describe every transaction and there are artists who push their own NFTs which is at least more honest but nevertheless), and in the eyes of many analysts they're also an economic bubble set to pop like Dutch tulips, early websites, baseball cards or as others have pointed out Football Index - which was a more explicit case of exploiting the vague line between gambling and investment (and football fandom) but shared a lot of the same themes: there will be people who will lose significant amounts of money on these Hibs NFTs because they've been persuaded via marketing that it's a worthwhile investment, and we can shrug our shoulders and joke about fools being parted from their money but that's not going to help the victims and it's not going to make this situation look any better in hindsight 10 years down the line when NFTs are more widely understood as the snake oil they are. It's going to look like the club willingly took marketing cash and drew up a working agreement with a company little better than a poundshop Enron, because that's what they've done. I find it pretty inexplicable that I know more about NFTs than marketing professionals at the club, which leads to me to believe that they know better and are moving on with it anyway because money talks.

I'm actually sympathetic to people who say the club should put the bottom line first but I think as a support and club we're being naïve if we think we can just focus on the cash and presume none of this is ever going to come back to bite us. Lots of Hearts fans still haven't forgotten their Wonga sponsorship - nor should they - and while I'm glad we never stooped that low this stuff matters to the reputation of the club in the long run.

There's a great book called Why England Lose which is all about the economics of football and among many surprising conclusions one of the key ones is that when football clubs are run purely as businesses, not only does the football suffer but the business does too. There are several reasons given for this for this but most them can be summed up by saying that passion and authenticity are the lifeblood of football and it really doesn't take a lot of commercialism for those to be compromised - advertising arrangements created specifically to exploit vulnerable fans is one way to go about it, especially in an era where there's a bit more of an onus on clubs to know better. Our club's strength lies in its community roots and I think we'd broadly all agree that those roots have got stronger since relegation - I might be in the minority in spitting the dummy out at these sponsorships but I seriously worry that they indicate executives at the club are now taking that connection for granted.

I think that is overthinking what the offering will be here.

It seems to be more about fans being able to buy stuff like images, videos, etc as NFTs rather than being spun an investment. I doubt that many would think their life is going to be changed in future by selling their unique digital image of Lewis Stevenson.

WhileTheChief..
11-09-2021, 04:48 PM
They already sponsor another club who play in green. The logo on their shorts is green. What makes you think we’d get the corporate red? Seems like they’re keen to match the club branding. And why does it matter exactly? We’ve had red on a sponsors logo before.

I don’t think we’ll get the red, I hope we get the green.

It matters ‘cause we don’t play in red.

Andy74
11-09-2021, 04:51 PM

The sponsorship is on the shirt not the shorts. It is white at the bottom of the back of the shirt. There’s a picture of it in the announcement which I assume shows where it is going.

Edit: Sorry, ignore me we are now on the other sponsor!’

Centre Hawf
11-09-2021, 04:53 PM

It seems to be more about fans being able to buy stuff like images, videos, etc as NFTs rather than being spun an investment. I doubt that many would think their life is going to be changed in future by selling their unique digital image of Lewis Stevenson.

The thing is NFT's are spun as investments. Buy now and sell later for profit.

Stairway 2 7
11-09-2021, 04:54 PM
If we are only wanting an ethical sponsorship we'll either get pennies or have a blank top

tamig
11-09-2021, 04:56 PM
The sponsorship is on the shirt not the shorts. It is white at the bottom of the back of the shirt. There’s a picture of it in the announcement which I assume shows where it is going.

Edit: Sorry, ignore me we are now on the other sponsor!’
Too many new commercial connections. Easy to get lost 😀

Andy74
11-09-2021, 04:57 PM
The thing is NFT's are spun as investments. Buy now and sell later for profit.

That depends what you are reading about. Like everything there are multiple uses of the same type of technology.

Take art, there is your part of the market where people buy works to invest in, then there’s those of us who buy a picture of David Gray to stick on our wall.

tamig
11-09-2021, 04:57 PM
I don’t think we’ll get the red, I hope we get the green.

It matters ‘cause we don’t play in red.

The Whyte &Mackay logo with the red didn’t look out of place imo. I’m sure it will be green though 👍

ScottB
11-09-2021, 05:52 PM
That depends what you are reading about. Like everything there are multiple uses of the same type of technology.

Take art, there is your part of the market where people buy works to invest in, then there’s those of us who buy a picture of David Gray to stick on our wall.

The company’s website literally says buy > ‘HODL’ (basically keep the thing for those unfamiliar with the crypto chat) > earn. Seems clear they want to see themselves as some sort of investment.

Andy74
11-09-2021, 06:11 PM
The company’s website literally says buy > ‘HODL’ (basically keep the thing for those unfamiliar with the crypto chat) > earn. Seems clear they want to see themselves as some sort of investment.

That relates to its currency.

I’m sure there will be some unique things they might pitch as a possible investment, like any unique memorabilia but it reads much more as digital content and experiences to own and collect.

worcesterhibby
12-09-2021, 06:09 AM
Great to see two new sponsors on board. GGTTH

Perd Hapley
12-09-2021, 01:34 PM

That's a fair point and right enough I'm probably over-egging it a bit in imagining people losing their life savings - it's just that there's a material difference between owning a poster of Martin Boyle and an electronic version which has to be reflected in the way the 'product' is concieved and marketed - the value of the NFT is what people will pay for it and no more which directly incentivises whoever is producing it to inflate the price (assuming they name one rather than take bids). And yeah, as others have said their marketing indeed seems to be geared up to position them as investments.

Having been through their website now though my main concern is that these NFTs are just an opportunity for them to grab folks' attention and data before they bring out their 'gaming' operations courtesy of whoever SCCG are in December - sports betting is 'TBD' in their roadmap. In other words it's just another gambling sponsor, except pretending not to be, not unlike Marlboro/Philip Morris and Mission Winnow in F1. Which seems dishonest at best

ScottB
12-09-2021, 05:53 PM
That's a fair point and right enough I'm probably over-egging it a bit in imagining people losing their life savings - it's just that there's a material difference between owning a poster of Martin Boyle and an electronic version which has to be reflected in the way the 'product' is concieved and marketed - the value of the NFT is what people will pay for it and no more which directly incentivises whoever is producing it to inflate the price (assuming they name one rather than take bids). And yeah, as others have said their marketing indeed seems to be geared up to position them as investments.

Having been through their website now though my main concern is that these NFTs are just an opportunity for them to grab folks' attention and data before they bring out their 'gaming' operations courtesy of whoever SCCG are in December - sports betting is 'TBD' in their roadmap. In other words it's just another gambling sponsor, except pretending not to be, not unlike Marlboro/Philip Morris and Mission Winnow in F1. Which seems dishonest at best

Looking at them as a company, my guess would be their underlying goal is just to inflate the value of their own ‘coin.’

At the moment they’ll be going round offering money to any club / sportspeople they can get using whatever starter cash they’ve got, then mint NFTs using the IP from those clubs. Every time someone wants to buy them, they have to buy an existing crypto coin, like Etherium, which they may also own, which boosts its value, then convert it into the SGC coin, which presumably they have lots of, which boots it’s value. Do that enough times and they can turn a coin worth nothing into something that makes them a fortune, then it’s just whether they just cash out or keep it riding.

Also what would be a factor here is whether they can afford to pay out all the sponsorship money they’ll have promised all these clubs, as presumably it’s based on the above, the value of their own coin going up as people use it to buy NFTs. If that doesn’t happen, or doesn’t happen as much as they hoped, I wouldn’t be surprised if they miss a few payments.

It’s worse than gambling in one respect, in that bookies can’t put in adverts that betting with them will make you money. These guys are saying just that. It basically exists in a legal black hole, that legislation hasn’t caught up with yet. If you invest in shares or a pension, legally you have to be told these things could go up or down, you could lose the lot etc. This lot seem to be saying it’s going to make you money guaranteed, whether on their own site, or the array of bots in their employ that descended on Hibs Twitter.

Centre Hawf
12-09-2021, 06:06 PM
Looking at them as a company, my guess would be their underlying goal is just to inflate the value of their own ‘coin.’

At the moment they’ll be going round offering money to any club / sportspeople they can get using whatever starter cash they’ve got, then mint NFTs using the IP from those clubs. Every time someone wants to buy them, they have to buy an existing crypto coin, like Etherium, which they may also own, which boosts its value, then convert it into the SGC coin, which presumably they have lots of, which boots it’s value. Do that enough times and they can turn a coin worth nothing into something that makes them a fortune, then it’s just whether they just cash out or keep it riding.

Also what would be a factor here is whether they can afford to pay out all the sponsorship money they’ll have promised all these clubs, as presumably it’s based on the above, the value of their own coin going up as people use it to buy NFTs. If that doesn’t happen, or doesn’t happen as much as they hoped, I wouldn’t be surprised if they miss a few payments.

It’s worse than gambling in one respect, in that bookies can’t put in adverts that betting with them will make you money. These guys are saying just that. It basically exists in a legal black hole, that legislation hasn’t caught up with yet. If you invest in shares or a pension, legally you have to be told these things could go up or down, you could lose the lot etc. This lot seem to be saying it’s going to make you money guaranteed, whether on their own site, or the array of bots in their employ that descended on Hibs Twitter.

The big issue of course is if a company like this cashes out it leaves a lot of people out of pocket as their NFT's probably go with the company shutting down.

ScottB
12-09-2021, 07:07 PM
The big issue of course is if a company like this cashes out it leaves a lot of people out of pocket as their NFT's probably go with the company shutting down.

Such things have already happened, yes. The NFT that you own is effectively a link to where the image lives on a server somewhere. Company that owns the server goes bye bye, so does the data.