PDA

View Full Version : G'OC & son Josh on the Edinburgh derby

Peevemor
09-09-2021, 07:29 PM
https://youtu.be/zPP5agkHMLc

Excellent (if you can work out what Garry's on about).

eastterrace
09-09-2021, 07:56 PM

Excellent (if you can work out what Garry's on about).yes agree it was excellent but can’t believe they left out the unbeatable derby where boozy scored the first and O’Connor the second. It was mental scenes that day.

Alex Trager
09-09-2021, 08:07 PM
yes agree it was excellent but can’t believe they left out the unbeatable derby where boozy scored the first and O’Connor the second. It was mental scenes that day.

Also disappointing they never showed his goal at tynie.

A hugely enjoyable watch. He is a very down to earth guy.

I think if it was me, I’d be struggling to speak without being so chuffed with myself haha

3pm
09-09-2021, 08:17 PM

Think there was some bits where I would suggest Garry's version of events might have happened in his own head. 😂

Good on Tony Mowbray as well shouting him over the side to break up the Caldwell v Riordan megabout. 😂😂

Unseen work
09-09-2021, 08:48 PM
Great content.

Very interesting to hear how Josh is more similar in style to Boyle with his pace than Gary, I think the majority would just expect him to be the same as Gary which is clearly not the case.

calumhibee1
09-09-2021, 08:56 PM
Good video but i think Garry has managed to merge a lot of different games into each other and possibly even imagine some bits :greengrin

Although in saying that I think the editor of the video managed that as well as we somehow got Shiels goal at Tynecastle in 04/05 mixed in with O’Connors celly from the unbeatable derby at ER in 05/06 :greengrin

.Sean.
09-09-2021, 08:59 PM
yes agree it was excellent but can’t believe they left out the unbeatable derby where boozy scored the first and O’Connor the second. It was mental scenes that day.
Canny believe they never showed that. That’s my all time favourite derby.

BILLYHIBS
09-09-2021, 09:11 PM
Well worth a watch

Still cannae believe we beat Hearts the day Brebner was sent off early doors

Hearts keeper still going down in instalments for Garry’s shot at his near post

Never say never

GGTTH

Peevemor
09-09-2021, 09:27 PM
Well worth a watch

Never say never

GGTTHUp until then, that's about as mental as I can remember Hibs fans going for a derby goal.

I think Hanlon's equaliser at Tynie beat it though.

Block
09-09-2021, 09:36 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed that. Gary and his son Josh came across very well indeed. Surprised Gary isn't a matchday pundit as he's a good talker and knowledgeable with it. Gary would be a far better matchday commentator than a lot of the BBC jambo clique. Could do with fresh voices of reason within Scottish football media other than the same old clique wage thieves that stick to the tired old BBC agenda. Gary would be a good fit for change.

Stuart93
09-09-2021, 10:15 PM
Well worth a watch

Never say never

GGTTH

Was up dancing in my neighbours garden that night with my brother.

“Ten men we only need ten men”

Mr. Wonderful
09-09-2021, 10:15 PM
Love to see the footage of Tony Mowbray hanging that photo up on the wall at the training centre that wasn't even built yet.

Block
09-09-2021, 11:33 PM
What was worthy of note also was that Gary alluded to Hibs managers being very aware that it would be virtually mandatory for penalties to be awarded against Hibernian in matches pertaining to especially Hearts and Rangers. What us fans have always suspected to be the case, however, very interesting that it was openly talked about in pre match managerial spiel to the players. That referees were pre disposed to awarding penalties against us in these big games. Wow. Its one thing for fans to speculate but for managers to actually state it to be the case? Only in Scotland.

CloudSquall
09-09-2021, 11:55 PM
I'm glad there was footage of the O'Neil equaliser, with 5 minutes to go Hearts fans finally felt confident enough to start making noise, only for O'Neil to slam home the equaliser.

Absolute scenes before absolute scenes was even a phrase.

Best memory of that game was thousands of Hibs fans chanting "Ha Ha...Ha Ha' to the tune of "Hello Hello" as each and every Jambo trooped out of the stadium.

JimBHibees
10-09-2021, 05:51 AM
Canny believe they never showed that. That’s my all time favourite derby.

Yep East stand was mental and brilliant that day. :greengrin

JimBHibees
10-09-2021, 05:57 AM
What was worthy of note also was that Gary alluded to Hibs managers being very aware that it would be virtually mandatory for penalties to be awarded against Hibernian in matches pertaining to especially Hearts and Rangers. What us fans have always suspected to be the case, however, very interesting that it was openly talked about in pre match managerial spiel to the players. That referees were pre disposed to awarding penalties against us in these big games. Wow. Its one thing for fans to speculate but for managers to actually state it to be the case? Only in Scotland.

What I do remember of the ten men Derby was after Garry scored Presley missed a glorious chance to equalise which was blatantly offside. Always suspected Hearts tend to get more decisions than us. The number of Derby retrospective red cards they got which usually occurred in the first half being a clear case in point.

Since452
10-09-2021, 07:14 AM
Nostalgic watching some of those clips. Remember walking out of stadium down the stairs at the east stand after his last minute winner to chants of "ten men, we only need ten men". Good times.

Since452
10-09-2021, 07:15 AM
Love to see the footage of Tony Mowbray hanging that photo up on the wall at the training centre that wasn't even built yet.

Aye Gary likes a wee story eh

Tambo
10-09-2021, 07:21 AM
Just watched now and really enjoyed that. Josh seems level headed and I'm sure his dad will make sure he don't make the same mistakes as him.

Now it's the case of Josh progressing that little bit further this season and hopefully pushing on for first team come next season.

Michael
10-09-2021, 07:31 AM

There's definitely some element of truth to it - I remember Mowbray talking about the photo in an interview.

Since452
10-09-2021, 07:32 AM
Gary was some player and my favourite of that generation. Just wish he'd screwed the nut. I actually remember him scoring something like 5 goals for the reserves against Dundee and thinking to myself we've got a player here. He was so powerful even as a teenager. He had the physique and the talent to go right to the top. Still got to a very good level. Nothing would please me more than seeing his laddie break through.

MagicSwirlingShip
10-09-2021, 07:45 AM
Would love to see Hibs do a “we’re on our way - revisited” feature, with all the players reunited from the Mowbray era involved.

A great time to be a Hibs fan

BILLYHIBS
10-09-2021, 08:16 AM
Got the ‘good news’ of the surprise 1-0 win when casually passing a bar in Salou and spotting the score on the telly in pre mobile saturation TV times

Cue me and my two boys hugging each other, high fiving and dancing in the Street much to the surprise of startled tourists and my Hearts supporting Mrs who continued to walk even quicker pushing a buggy :greengrin

One Day Soon
10-09-2021, 09:33 AM
Compulsive viewing. I could watch these two all day.

That second goal - Garry's first in the footage - is the one that most commentators feel killed Antti Niemi's potential Scotland career.

nonshinyfinish
10-09-2021, 09:36 AM

That second goal - Garry's first in the footage - is the one that most commentators feel killed Antti Niemi's potential Scotland career.

Finnished after that.

Since452
10-09-2021, 09:46 AM

He was a very good keeper. Folk forget how good he was in the 6-2 game. Could easily have been 10 that night. Scotland definitely missed a trick :greengrin

FilipinoHibs
10-09-2021, 10:52 AM

Am frae Hawick,so gat it aw.

Silversand
10-09-2021, 10:53 AM
Great viewing [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

jacomo
10-09-2021, 01:44 PM
Just watched now and really enjoyed that. Josh seems level headed and I'm sure his dad will make sure he don't make the same mistakes as him.

Now it's the case of Josh progressing that little bit further this season and hopefully pushing on for first team come next season.

Bless him, I’m not sure Garry is much of a role model. More a cautionary tale.

I’d be delighted to see Josh score goals for Hibs though.

HibbyAndy
10-09-2021, 02:06 PM
Enjoyed that thanks for posting the link:aok:

Like others i can't believe they never showed the 'we are unbeatable ' Derby , Absolute carnage when Boozy & Garry scored

Irish_Steve
10-09-2021, 07:39 PM
I'm glad there was footage of the O'Neil equaliser, with 5 minutes to go Hearts fans finally felt confident enough to start making noise, only for O'Neil to slam home the equaliser.

Absolute scenes before absolute scenes was even a phrase.

Best memory of that game was thousands of Hibs fans chanting "Ha Ha...Ha Ha' to the tune of "Hello Hello" as each and every Jambo trooped out of the stadium.

If I remember correctly, Derek Townsley had a chance to win the game after we equalised but ballooned it over the bar.

silverhibee
10-09-2021, 08:03 PM
Gary was some player and my favourite of that generation. Just wish he'd screwed the nut. I actually remember him scoring something like 5 goals for the reserves against Dundee and thinking to myself we've got a player here. He was so powerful even as a teenager. He had the physique and the talent to go right to the top. Still got to a very good level. Nothing would please me more than seeing his laddie break through.

Was that at Dundee.

hibeejeebies
10-09-2021, 08:07 PM
Good to see Garry happy and healthy there.

Hopefully see Josh breaking through soon.

Iggy Pope
10-09-2021, 08:47 PM
Good to see Garry happy and healthy there.

Hopefully see Josh breaking through soon.

I bumped into him locally last week. He is healthy all right!

NOLA
10-09-2021, 11:02 PM
Best bit had me laughing was when Josh said I bet the dressing room was bouncing and Garry has a broad smile I’m no telling you bout the dressing room [emoji4][emoji23]

The Harp Awakes
11-09-2021, 01:57 AM
Good video but i think Garry has managed to merge a lot of different games into each other and possibly even imagine some bits :greengrin

Although in saying that I think the editor of the video managed that as well as we somehow got Shiels goal at Tynecastle in 04/05 mixed in with O’Connors celly from the unbeatable derby at ER in 05/06 :greengrin

Was right in front of Shiels and O'Connor when we celebrated that winning goal at Tiny. Got the photo of the two of them on display in the house to this day. The Hibs fans were going nuts. Memories.

franck sauzee
11-09-2021, 03:43 PM
If I remember correctly, Derek Townsley had a chance to win the game after we equalised but ballooned it over the bar.

Was that from a corner? Seem to picture him stretching a long leg out and firing it over the bar from fairly close