PDA

View Full Version : Life after football

Lendo
04-09-2021, 08:08 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-58439099

I hadn’t heard anything about the story of the Yeovil Captain taking his own life due to the stresses of his career coming to an end.

It’s a tough situation to be in, leaving a career you’ve had since being a teenager. I’m firmly of the opinion it’s never to late to change your career and try something else. I’ve changed career paths three times and I’m 38.

Do Hibs do enough to help not just the younger players with their education whilst training but also preparing older players for a life outside of football?

calumhibee1
04-09-2021, 08:14 AM

I hadn’t heard anything about the story of the Yeovil Captain taking his own life due to the stresses of his career coming to an end.

It’s a tough situation to be in, leaving a career you’ve had since being a teenager. I’m firmly of the opinion it’s never to late to change your career and try something else. I’ve changed career paths three times and I’m 38.

Do Hibs do enough to help not just the younger players with their education whilst training but also preparing older players for a life outside of football?

The problem a lot of footballers will have is that they’ve most likely left school early to pursue this career.

Being 36 or so with no real qualifications, no trade etc whilst all your pals are probably earning decent money will be an intimidating prospect. You could be looking at having to start from the bottom of the ladder and whilst your earning power would have been good when you were younger, you’ve essentially just flipped a normal persons live around when it comes to income.

If you weren’t sensible with your money throughout your career (or even if you just didn’t make all that much) then I can see why the idea of it all ending and you having to go to college in your mid 30s or go get a job in a call centre on minimum wage would terrify you.

Since452
04-09-2021, 08:56 AM
It's something I've often wondered about. A career and way of live ending at 36/37. Can't be easy. Not every player will fancy coaching etc. Sure our club are giving the best advice to our younger players.

Keith_M
04-09-2021, 09:24 AM
It used to be the case that ex football players would open a pub when they retired. Or even end up working for Lothian Buses (e.g. Benny Brazil).

The problem nowadays is that the gap in earnings between players at medium-large clubs is off the scale compared to those lower down the leagues, so it must be disheartening to see people you once played against being set for life, money wise, while you have to start all over again with very little savings.

H18 SFR
04-09-2021, 09:42 AM
I can relate to this in a way, albeit my football related income abruptly ended aged 32 rather than 36/37.

In my own case I went to college for a year doing my highers then went to uni for four years to study Primary Ed. Best thing I ever done.

Two of my best pals from football found it difficult transitioning.

Just_Jimmy
04-09-2021, 10:03 AM
I can relate to this in a way, albeit my football related income abruptly ended aged 32 rather than 36/37.

In my own case I went to college for a year doing my highers then went to uni for four years to study Primary Ed. Best thing I ever done.

Two of my best pals from football found it difficult transitioning.That's good to hear and good to hear you found a purpose. Its absolutely worth it transitioning at a slighter older age. Even if it means taking a few steps back for a while. I did it and restarted at 32 and its the best thing I did, solid career, loads of opportunities and I love it. Its given me a new start in terms of live opportunities too.

What's your football background if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Fuzzywuzzy
04-09-2021, 10:08 AM
There was a good documentary on the BBC a while back about a player and his mental health. Can't for the life of me remember the boys name. Played mostly in the lower leagues of england

Clarke Carlisle!!

Peevemor
04-09-2021, 10:13 AM
I understand that it must be difficult to have to find a totally different livelihood in your 30s, but to be fair players know that it's going to happen and have plenty time to try to prepare.

I think it's more difficult for certain who come out the army (for example) who have a total change of lifestyle to cope with - not just their job.

I also know quite a few musicians who have left groups, etc. when they reach 30 or so as they recognise the need to get a "proper job".

So while I'm not unsympathetic, and it is probably a good idea that footballers have guidance toward the end of their career, it's a part of life for many people.

Renfrew_Hibby
04-09-2021, 10:21 AM
I can remember the ex Motherwell player, can't remember the name but I'm sure he was in their cup winning team taking his own life after retiring and becoming a postie. He just couldn't adjust to his new situation and accept his old life was over I guess.

Fuzzywuzzy
04-09-2021, 10:22 AM
Fair play to Shay Logan for retraining and setting up a business. Rory McAllister never wanted to go full time as he wanted to concentrate on his business. There's more than a few that have gone into the police as well

Onceinawhile
04-09-2021, 10:28 AM
I don't think it's as simple as not having a career to go to.

You go from going into a changing room every day and seeing people and having that camaraderie, to being all out on your own, with almost no one to talk to apart from your immediate family.

Smartie
04-09-2021, 10:57 AM
It used to be the case that ex football players would open a pub when they retired. Or even end up working for Lothian Buses (e.g. Benny Brazil).

The problem nowadays is that the gap in earnings between players at medium-large clubs is off the scale compared to those lower down the leagues, so it must be disheartening to see people you once played against being set for life, money wise, while you have to start all over again with very little savings.

I think it’s often more difficult for those on the highest earnings, who have matching lifestyles and little care for the future. There are quite a few of them who lose everything. You hear stories of those who invest wisely and live comfortably but it’s hard to know the breakdown between the 2.

I remember wincing a bit when Jermaine Pennant was trying to win a contract with Hibs a few years ago. One minute he was carelessly leaving a car worth tens of thousands abandoned at a station, the next he was trying to win a contract with Hibs, the next was inevitably retirement. I didn’t think he’d be particularly well set up for a comfortable future.

MWHIBBIES
04-09-2021, 11:07 AM

Hibs at least used to put young players through things like pre-apprentice/NC college courses.

calumhibee1
04-09-2021, 11:15 AM
I think it’s often more difficult for those on the highest earnings, who have matching lifestyles and little care for the future. There are quite a few of them who lose everything. You hear stories of those who invest wisely and live comfortably but it’s hard to know the breakdown between the 2.

I remember wincing a bit when Jermaine Pennant was trying to win a contract with Hibs a few years ago. One minute he was carelessly leaving a car worth tens of thousands abandoned at a station, the next he was trying to win a contract with Hibs, the next was inevitably retirement. I didn’t think he’d be particularly well set up for a comfortable future.

ESPN do documentaries called 30 for 30. One of them is called ‘Broke’ and although it’s about American sports, it’ll probably be relevant to football to some degree. It reckoned that around 80% of American athletes are ‘broke’ after they retire. A mixture of bad investments, a lifestyle they can’t continue and leaches would see their bank balance disappear at a rate of noughts.

There’ll be more footballers than we probably realise that won’t just retire with very little to show for it after spending all their money, they’ll probably end up in a worse financial position than your average Joe because they can’t reign in their spending to a level to suit their new £20k a year job.

gbhibby
04-09-2021, 11:22 AM
There have been a few players who have got their further education qualifications then gone on to have good careers but very few. Players tend to have their lives dictated by the club timetables for training etc. Listened to something on 5live a couple of years ago saying players found it difficult to transition into not having somebody organising their life. There was also an issue that a lot of players suffered mental health issues even players who were high earners and should be set up for life. The study also found that players had money problems and some were almost bankrupt, including some very high earners.

WoreTheGreen
04-09-2021, 11:26 AM

When I got binned / freed my dad was a tradesman and asked me to give him a hand for a week .nearly 40 years later i am still doing it

gbhibby
04-09-2021, 11:35 AM

Two of my best pals from football found it difficult transitioning.
Did you feel that your downtime could have been more productive? In a number of jobs you have to study for professional qualifications in your own time studying in the evenings.
Would you have studied? did the club encourage you?

CMurdoch
04-09-2021, 12:26 PM
The main issue has always been kids not taking their education seriously then almost inevitably getting released by football clubs.
Dreams dashed and no education or back up plan.
Much tougher for them than the guys retiring after a career in football.
Fortunately football clubs like Hibs now appear to take a far more responsible stance in relation to the future of young people in their care.

Of the top of my head of the hundreds of young players who have been brought through at Hibs only the following are still earning from playing so that leaves out the part time guys at for example Edinburgh City.

Only Porteous and Doig come to mind who have made it at Hibs

Those who didn't quite make the standard but are still making a living playing at a lower level are:
Wetherspoon, Shaw, Booth, Murray, Stanton, Cummings and Gullan looking like being the next one.

There is even a case for taking Doig and Cummings out of that given they came through at Hearts.

In essence then 7 players who have come through at Hibs in the last 14 years are still making a living as a footballer.
So 1 kid every 2 years!

Pretty Boy
04-09-2021, 12:37 PM
I remember John Burridge talking about needing grief counselling when his career finally ended. He spoke about being a meeting with people who had lost children and he had to say 'I'm here because I can't play football anymore'. To an outsider that might seem a bit off but to him it was real.

I don't think it's as simple as dealing with a career change at a relatively young age. You see these struggles in a lot of sports, boxing being one of the most notable. I daresay the finance and lack of transferable skills plays a part but the emotional upheaval must be huge. A shift from a very set routine, adulation, camaraderie and support from peers, discipline, the high of performing etc etc to the thought of 20+ years doing something totally different.

Even at our level 1st team players are earning enough that if they put a bit by and are sensible they have a chance to be comfortable and have the finance to retrain doing something they want to do. I think that oversimplifies things though and emotional support is every bit as important as practical and financial.

Smartie
04-09-2021, 12:55 PM
Even stuff as simple as doing less (no in some cases) exercise every day can have a catastrophic effect on mental health.

It’s not a coincidence, and not without a lot of science backing it up, that if you go to your doctor with a mental health issue they’ll always bring up the subject of the many benefits of doing exercise.