PDA

View Full Version : Strikers who are free agents

worcesterhibby
01-09-2021, 04:34 PM
No inside knoweldge, just some thoughts on Strikers who are available if we wanted to bring in a free agent. None of the boring ones we will actually get..just some fun ones...but you never know !

1) Andy Carroll - No we can't afford to pay his sort of wages and he is injury prone, but He'd love to be playing football within a decent drive of his Newcastle home and just imagine he was willing to sign till January and kept himself fit...would LOVE to see him in a Hibs jersey ! get him in for the Hearts match..they would crap themselves :greengrin

2) Hal Robson-Kanu - Again wages are probably a problem but he fits the Target Man type that we probably could do with. He's never been prolific, but then he's spent most of his career in the English Championship and Premiership, so you suspect his golas to games ratio would be better if he was playing up here ?

3) Kwang Sonh Han - I'd love us to make this sort of left field signing. North Korean International who is only 22 and scored 11 goals in 36 Games in Italy Serie B..Let's turn Kim Jong-Un into a hibby by siging a North Korean striker :greengrin

4) Kiros - (Kiros Stânlley Soares Ferraz) Is Brazillian, he's 33 and he just scored 32 goals in 89 matches for an Iranian club ! Let's finally get ourselves a Brazillian forward !

Souter96Mac
01-09-2021, 04:49 PM
I watched Carroll at Newcastle over the last couple of seasons first hand, and the man is well and truly past it. I wouldn't be surprised if he retires, or maybe signs for a lower/non league side. He should be nowhere near Hibs - albeit he was a great player in his day and a Toon hero.

Also believe he doesn't even live in the Toon anymore, think he's down south, so that wouldn't be so helpful 😂

Robson-Kanu would be a good signing, but you're right about wages.

1875Sean
01-09-2021, 04:57 PM
Noticed there are a few decent right backs on the free list too, ex Man U player Rafael and Andre Wisdom were the stand outs if we need cover

jacomo
01-09-2021, 05:01 PM
I watched Carroll at Newcastle over the last couple of seasons first hand, and the man is well and truly past it. I wouldn't be surprised if he retires, or maybe signs for a lower/non league side. He should be nowhere near Hibs - albeit he was a great player in his day and a Toon hero.

Also believe he doesn't even live in the Toon anymore, think he's down south, so that wouldn't be so helpful 😂

Robson-Kanu would be a good signing, but you're right about wages.

He bought Rod Stewart’s old house in Essex.

Maybe he’s envisaging a second career as a crooner. Agree that his career as a footballer at a decent level is surely over.

allezsauzee
01-09-2021, 05:07 PM
what's big Shefki Kuqi doing these days?

King Cosell
01-09-2021, 05:23 PM
No inside knoweldge, just some thoughts on Strikers who are available if we wanted to bring in a free agent. None of the boring ones we will actually get..just some fun ones...but you never know !

1) Andy Carroll - No we can't afford to pay his sort of wages and he is injury prone, but He'd love to be playing football within a decent drive of his Newcastle home and just imagine he was willing to sign till January and kept himself fit...would LOVE to see him in a Hibs jersey ! get him in for the Hearts match..they would crap themselves :greengrin

2) Hal Robson-Kanu - Again wages are probably a problem but he fits the Target Man type that we probably could do with. He's never been prolific, but then he's spent most of his career in the English Championship and Premiership, so you suspect his golas to games ratio would be better if he was playing up here ?

3) Kwang Sonh Han - I'd love us to make this sort of left field signing. North Korean International who is only 22 and scored 11 goals in 36 Games in Italy Serie B..Let's turn Kim Jong-Un into a hibby by siging a North Korean striker :greengrin

4) Kiros - (Kiros Stânlley Soares Ferraz) Is Brazillian, he's 33 and he just scored 32 goals in 89 matches for an Iranian club ! Let's finally get ourselves a Brazillian forward !

A 4-month deal for for Robson-Kanu would probably cost around 100K. Might be a goer. Exactly what we need.

Magpie
01-09-2021, 05:23 PM
what's big Shefki Kuqi doing these days?

I just want one swan dive.

Aldo
01-09-2021, 05:48 PM
What about JJ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easty
01-09-2021, 05:57 PM
What about JJ??

He’ll be hanging about in the hearts club shop waiting for them to sack Neilson I’d have thought.

Aldo
01-09-2021, 06:01 PM
He’ll be hanging about in the hearts club shop waiting for them to sack Neilson I’d have thought.

[emoji848]

Cod Boy
01-09-2021, 06:11 PM
Stokes and riordan at east mains and trying to get nish as well.

Iggy Pope
01-09-2021, 06:34 PM

If Robson-Kanu is still wearing Golas then it’s a no for me.

JammyDoidger
01-09-2021, 06:36 PM
The hearts are trying to get Barrie McKay, free agent. I'd have taken him at us tbh.

bigwheel
01-09-2021, 06:39 PM
The hearts are trying to get Barrie McKay, free agent. I'd have taken him at us tbh.

Would be a decent addition for most top league teams him….

erin go bragh
01-09-2021, 07:22 PM
Greg Stewart is a free agent . Thought he looked class when at Killie .

RoscoHibby
01-09-2021, 07:29 PM

Sure I read he got released from Rangers and had signed for some club in India…:confused:

H18 SFR
01-09-2021, 07:30 PM

He’s not a free agent, I’d have taken him as well.

bingo70
01-09-2021, 07:30 PM

Always thought he was ***** to be honest.

04Sauzee
01-09-2021, 07:37 PM
Sure I read he got released from Rangers and had signed for some club in India…:confused:

He has

1875Sean
01-09-2021, 08:10 PM
Greg Stewart is a decent player but too much like Scott for me if we bring a coward if needs to be a striker who can hold the ball up

erin go bragh
01-09-2021, 08:13 PM
He’s not a free agent, I’d have taken him as well.

He is listed as one on the free agent list .

madhatter
01-09-2021, 08:14 PM
Greg Stewart is a decent player but too much like Scott for me if we bring a coward if needs to be a striker who can hold the ball up

Not more cowards!

erin go bragh
01-09-2021, 08:14 PM

I’d rather we stayed away from any cowards 😄

H18 SFR
01-09-2021, 08:15 PM
He is listed as one on the free agent list .

He’s not though.

scoopyboy
01-09-2021, 08:16 PM

Don't think we should be bringing cowards in:greengrin

MyJo
01-09-2021, 09:50 PM

The North Korean guys probably not going to be happening

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/news/13923847/north-korea-ronaldo-han-kwang-song-wages-kim/amp/

:faf:

tamig
01-09-2021, 10:23 PM
Another King Dom would do for me. What’s he up to these days?

King Cosell
01-09-2021, 11:32 PM
Ricardo Vaz Te is a free agent. 34 years old. Might be right up for a return.

1875godsgift
01-09-2021, 11:35 PM
Ricardo Vaz Te is a free agent. 34 years old. Might be right up for a return.

:hyper

hibees 7062
02-09-2021, 05:17 AM

He's with Killie

worcesterhibby
02-09-2021, 07:22 AM
The North Korean guys probably not going to be happening

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/news/13923847/north-korea-ronaldo-han-kwang-song-wages-kim/amp/

:faf:

I feel quite sorry for him reading that, hard working young man who’s career is being ruined by politics.

jacomo
02-09-2021, 08:31 AM
I feel quite sorry for him reading that, hard working young man who’s career is being ruined by politics.

Same… brutal.

Spudster
02-09-2021, 09:51 AM
Lacina Traore as he is 6'6" for a target man.
List of all free agents by apparent worth here
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/transfers/vertragslosespieler/statistik?ausrichtung=Sturm&spielerposition_id=14&land_id=alle&wettbewerb_id=alle&seit=0&altersklasse=&plus=1

FT'J'Bo's
02-09-2021, 10:16 AM
Look's the part?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemanja_Nikoli%C4%87_(footballer,_born_1987)

Scores loads, wherever he's played!

calumhibee1
02-09-2021, 10:21 AM
Always thought he was ***** to be honest.

Same.

Although I have posted before I have a dislike for him that I really don’t know where it stems from.

calumhibee1
02-09-2021, 10:23 AM
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/transfers/vertragslosespieler/statistik?ausrichtung=Sturm&spielerposition_id=14&land_id=alle&wettbewerb_id=alle&seit=0&altersklasse=&plus=1

Huge yes to Traore for no other reason then he’s comically tall.

BILLYHIBS
02-09-2021, 10:29 AM
Robson-Kanu please

Magpie
02-09-2021, 10:30 AM
Stokes and riordan at east mains and trying to get nish as well.

Zemmama behind and we are looking good.

CMurdoch
02-09-2021, 10:37 AM
Look's the part?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemanja_Nikoli%C4%87_(footballer,_born_1987)

Scores loads, wherever he's played!

He left Chicago Fire in 2020 where he was earning $2 million a year.
Returned to the former Videoton in his homeland after that.
Suspect he would still be wanting a decent wedge but certainly knows where the goals are.

HendoDelivered
02-09-2021, 10:37 AM
Hibs wont sign any of these. When do we ever sign free agents? Very rarely. We will go with what we have til Jan as criminal as it is. I think anyone suggesting other wise is just clutching at straws.

worcesterhibby
02-09-2021, 11:17 AM
Hibs wont sign any of these. When do we ever sign free agents? Very rarely. We will go with what we have til Jan as criminal as it is. I think anyone suggesting other wise is just clutching at straws.

Maybe we are just having a cheerful chat about weird and wonderful possible free agents, I even said in the original post that we wouldn't sign any of them. Can you stick to posting the Doom and Gloom nonsense and "criminal" allegations to other threads please.

TOP OF THE LEAGUE :flag::flag:

erin go bragh
02-09-2021, 11:20 AM
He’s not though.

Well he’s on the free players list , not had a club since 21st July.

Spudster
02-09-2021, 02:05 PM

I was thinking the opposite. When do sign players for money?
Magennis, MacKay, McGinn, Nisbet, Mallan, Horgan, Doidge the last 4 seasons out of 28 players coming in.

CapitalGreen
02-09-2021, 02:34 PM
Magennis, MacKay, McGinn, Nisbet, Mallan, Horgan, Doidge the last 4 seasons out of 28 players coming in.

We also paid fees for Kamberi, James, Cadden, Mitchell and Tait.

H18 SFR
02-09-2021, 03:45 PM
Well he’s on the free players list , not had a club since 21st July.

He signed a one year deal on 31st August. The list must be inaccurate.

AL-Qaholik
02-09-2021, 07:47 PM

A few genuinely realistic options on there:

Connor Wickham - wages might be a stumbling block but worth trying for even a short term contract.
Greg Stewart - thought he’d signed for somebody but doesn’t look like it.
Guy Melamed - this seems like a no-brainer.

BILLYHIBS
02-09-2021, 07:50 PM

Connor Wickham - wages might be a stumbling block but worth trying for even a short term contract.
Greg Stewart in India IIRC

King Cosell
02-09-2021, 08:05 PM

Melamed's signed a one-year deal with an Israeli club.

Spudster
03-09-2021, 11:21 AM

Kamberi was outwith that timescale. My point is we take in more free agents than pay transfer fees anyway.

Andy74
03-09-2021, 11:23 AM
Kamberi was outwith that timescale. My point is we take in more free agents than pay transfer fees anyway.

Is the point not that we hardly ever pick up someone after the window has closed that was freed before it?

Spudster
03-09-2021, 11:43 AM
I've mis understood the point in that case!

CockneyRebel
03-09-2021, 11:45 AM

Mr Wickham is the ultimate sick-note. He has been injured for about 90% of his time at Palace (5 years?) so not in the least realistic I'm afraid. Good player before his injury problems but he was a gamble that did not come off. I would not expect him to get another contract of any consequence.

Don't remember seeing enough of Greg Stewart to have an opinion.

Melamed could be worth a punt.

Unseen work
03-09-2021, 12:42 PM
Greg Stewart is a good player, very technical and creative and would be a good signing. He’s not a number 9 though and not capable of playing up top by himself. He’s either in a 2, behind the striker or on the right. He’s also signed for an Indian team supposedly.

Melamed is an odd one, seemed to do well when he got a decent run at St Johnstone but can’t get a new club. He’s tiny and couldn’t play up by himself, he plays more on the shoulder similar to McLaren and wouldn’t be the hold up kind of player. Scores some crackers.

Isma Goncalves?👀

Iggy Pope
03-09-2021, 08:09 PM

25% of signings then on that guessrate.

Iggy Pope
03-09-2021, 08:11 PM

That takes it up to 42%.

hibbyfraelibby
05-09-2021, 03:50 PM
Who needs a new striker? We are fine. Get the young centre back in and release Daz to play up front. Simple

LustForLeith
05-09-2021, 04:56 PM
What’s Jamie Cureton up to these days?

Since452
05-09-2021, 05:28 PM
Boyle, Nisbet and Scott will see us through no bother.

CMurdoch
05-09-2021, 05:33 PM

Just need to manage to get Scott firing.

Lancs Harp
05-09-2021, 06:08 PM
What’s Jamie Cureton up to these days?

Believe it or not he was still playing well into his mid 40s last season at Enfield. Not sure if he's still playing this season.

Some career nearly 1000 games nearly 400 goals

MyJo
06-09-2021, 08:57 AM

We still have Gullan as well, might not be in our long-term plans but he isn't a bad player and can fill in if and when needed and if Laidlaw is as good as it seems then its a good opportunity to give him some game time.

Spudster
06-09-2021, 10:24 AM
That takes it up to 42%.

Being pedantic here if you are going that far back (to include Kamberi) then the total number of signings goes up and the % comes back down.

Highwayman
06-09-2021, 10:38 AM
Wonder where one of the strangest signings Hibs ever made is these days.
I refer to one Jamie Insall.
I think I must be one of the few supporters who ever saw him in a Hibs strip.
This was down at Ainslie Park playing for the Development Squad.
His only contribution I can recall is his cry of despair “does anybody realise I’m on the pitch”.
To which the other young laddies looked at each other as if to say “did anybody hear someone speak”
Never saw him again as he went on loan to East Fife and then disappeared.
A curious episode in the history of Hibs.

scoopyboy
06-09-2021, 10:45 AM
His only contribution I can recall is his cry of despair “does anybody realise I’m on the pitch”.
To which the other young laddies looked at each other as if to say “did anybody hear someone speak”

He's been playing in the welsh League with Connah's Quay Nomads.

Scoring goals and has been playing in Europe for them, they won the Welsh League.

worcesterhibby
06-09-2021, 10:58 AM
He's been playing in the welsh League with Connah's Quay Nomads.

Scoring goals and has been playing in Europe for them, they won the Welsh League.

He's from down my way and I've spoken to his brother about his time at Hibs. Talented goalscorer but a poor attitude which it seems he might have changed recently and started screwing the nut a bit more. He certainly regrets his unprofessionalism when given a chance by Hibs..that's straight from his brother.

CallumLaidlaw
06-09-2021, 11:25 AM

Nah he got a few minutes in a friendly against Birmingham at Easter Road.

oldbutdim
06-09-2021, 11:37 AM

I saw him play at East Mains, where he gave an opposition player a wee punch on the jaw after getting barged. Lucky not be sent off.

That was about all he did that day as far as I recall.

Northernhibee
06-09-2021, 11:42 AM
I saw him play at East Mains, where he gave an opposition player a wee punch on the jaw after getting barged. Lucky not be sent off.

Weird thing is that we sent down a number of scouts on separate occasions too.

Billy Whizz
06-09-2021, 12:27 PM
Weird thing is that we sent down a number of scouts on separate occasions too.

George Craig described him as a rough diamond

FifeHibs
06-09-2021, 12:42 PM
George Craig described him as a rough diamond

He competed at bare knuckle boxing when he was banned from football.

Iggy Pope
06-09-2021, 12:50 PM
Being pedantic here if you are going that far back (to include Kamberi) then the total number of signings goes up and the % comes back down.

Far back? You said four seasons in your numbers and we signed him in summer 2018, same window as we signed Horgan who you also mentioned so it non-pedantically goes back up again.

Since452
06-09-2021, 01:07 PM

Seemed to enjoy the celebrations in 2016 more than most.

MrSmith
06-09-2021, 01:11 PM
Tommy Block was another of those strange signings, whatever happened to him?

Billy Whizz
06-09-2021, 01:27 PM
Tommy Block was another of those strange signings, whatever happened to him?

Playing at Woking now, not sure what level that is

Northernhibee
06-09-2021, 01:28 PM

Don’t ask Sevco fans, they’ll be no help. They don’t do Woking away.

Iggy Pope
06-09-2021, 01:33 PM

Fifth tier. One up from where Clayton Donaldson is back at now interestingly.

Spudster
06-09-2021, 02:06 PM
Far back? You said four seasons in your numbers and we signed him in summer 2018, same window as we signed Horgan who you also mentioned so it non-pedantically goes back up again.

Just the way the transfers are listed on soccerbase is skewing things https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=1227&comp_id=12&teamTabs=transfers

21/22
20/21
19/20
18/19 - Horgan 8th aug 2018
17/18 - Kamberi 14th June 2018

It's really not worth any of us worrying about anyway.

7 years today since Malonga signed. Now THERE was a successful free agent pickup!

jgl07
06-09-2021, 02:17 PM
Fifth tier. One up from where Clayton Donaldson is back at now interestingly.

Donaldson is 37. He played at a decent level including spells with Birmingham City, Brentford, Sheffield United, Bolton Wanderers, etc.

Mr. Wonderful
06-09-2021, 02:53 PM

Sounds like it's about all he's done in his career too. Surprised hibs fans don't give him more stick for his John Terry impression on 21.5.16

Since452
06-09-2021, 03:27 PM
Just the way the transfers are listed on soccerbase is skewing things https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=1227&comp_id=12&teamTabs=transfers

21/22
20/21
19/20
18/19 - Horgan 8th aug 2018
17/18 - Kamberi 14th June 2018

It's really not worth any of us worrying about anyway.

7 years today since Malonga signed. Now THERE was a successful free agent pickup!

Still love King Dom. Remember him being fouled on the east stand touchline and just lay there for ages in no rush whatsoever no to get up. Could only laugh. What a player though.

dchibs
06-09-2021, 08:03 PM
Still love King Dom. Remember him being fouled on the east stand touchline and just lay there for ages in no rush whatsoever no to get up. Could only laugh. What a player though.

His goal against the sheep is the best i've seen at ER.

worcesterhibby
06-09-2021, 09:00 PM
Malonga is a free agent and only 32 !

Iain G
06-09-2021, 09:08 PM
He competed at bare knuckle boxing when he was banned from football.

Can't see George Craig doing bareknuckle boxing but will take your word for that 😁

jacomo
06-09-2021, 11:20 PM

Bring him home!

nickwhibs
07-09-2021, 06:21 AM
Doo doo doo it Hibs

eastmainsmsh
07-09-2021, 06:45 AM
Dom was linked with a move to Iceland with Por few weeks ago right gid when on his game

Since452
07-09-2021, 06:59 AM

:agree: And he didn't care about the Rangers

Northernhibee
07-09-2021, 07:57 AM

His goal against Raith in our 2016 cup run was gorgeous too.

Heisenberg
07-09-2021, 02:52 PM
See Hearts are trying to posture that they beat us to sign Barrie McKay.

Stuart93
07-09-2021, 03:00 PM
See Hearts are trying to posture that they beat us to sign Barrie McKay.

Won’t be long until the daily record and co are running with that story. Probably along with Banderson in the EEN. There’s no chance we were trying for yet another winger imo.

Brightside
07-09-2021, 03:09 PM
Couldn’t care less.

JammyDoidger
07-09-2021, 04:24 PM
Hopefully we did go in for McKay just so hearts increased his wages :devil:

NOLA
08-09-2021, 01:11 PM
Roy I forget his surname from melchester rovers is a good shout

oneone73
08-09-2021, 01:13 PM

We'd lose the Race to the Sheep.

Peevemor
08-09-2021, 01:13 PM

Roy Race.

blackpoolhibs
10-09-2021, 11:58 AM

I know a Roy.

at last 61
10-09-2021, 12:26 PM
Does anyone think we will be in for someone, to me it's a no brainer to get in someone who realistically we can't afford, he would be match fit to sign for more money somewhere else, and we will have doidge back

scoopyboy
10-09-2021, 12:28 PM
Does anyone think we will be in for someone, to me it's a no brainer to get in someone who realistically we can't afford, he would be match fit to sign for more money somewhere else, and we will have doidge back

The longer it goes the more unlikely it is to happen.

I was hopeful initially but now I think we will try to muddle by until January

04Sauzee
10-09-2021, 05:56 PM
Not a free agent but EEN reporting we tried for Dion Charles on deadline day.

JohnM1875
10-09-2021, 05:58 PM
Not a free agent but EEN reporting we tried for Dion Charles on deadline day.

We really didn't have a good deadline day at all did we.

Peevemor
10-09-2021, 06:06 PM
We really didn't have a good deadline day at all did we.Sounds like we chanced our arm and it didn't happen.

I'd be surprised if there aren't hundreds of similar bids made (by & to Scottish teams) that we never hear about.

Borderhibbie76
10-09-2021, 07:41 PM
Sounds like we chanced our arm and it didn't happen.

I'd be surprised if there aren't hundreds of similar bids made (by & to Scottish teams) that we never hear about.

Have to say your stout defence of the recruitment is admirable but we appear to have been stumbling about in the dark on deadline day and not a lot came off...poor planning from the recruitment team considering we knew about the Doidge injury weeks before the window shut.

We done a lot of good in the summer but we had a poor last 2 weeks of the window that could still cause our season a lot of damage between now and Jan. I hope it doesn't and we get away with it but we've left ourselves short esp with the Murphy injury now too

Heisenberg
10-09-2021, 07:53 PM
Have to say your stout defence of the recruitment is admirable but we appear to have been stumbling about in the dark on deadline day and not a lot came off...poor planning from the recruitment team considering we knew about the Doidge injury weeks before the window shut.

We done a lot of good in the summer but we had a poor last 2 weeks of the window that could still cause our season a lot of damage between now and Jan. I hope it doesn't and we get away with it but we've left ourselves short esp with the Murphy injury now too

Yeah if the reports are true it seems it was completely scattergun on deadline day. Mathie has had plenty praise but the end to the window didn’t go well at all. Missed out on our key defensive target and didn’t get the forward player the manager wanted.

Peevemor
10-09-2021, 07:57 PM

Jack Ross himself has explained -

“It’s easy to sign players for the sake of it and add numbers to your squad but we continually work to ensure when we bring players in it’s to strengthen the group and I think we have recruited successfully in recent times."

“That’s shown with the number of sellable assets we have in the group and that’s changed remarkably over the last season and a half as well. That’s an indication of both our recruitment and identification of recruitment and we will continue to do that ahead of the January window”

Ross has said that the window was disappointing and frustrating, but what people are seeing as our failure to sign players is caused by the club's increasingly high standard of target.

I'd rather we carry on as we are currently than sign a player per day (ref. John Collins) and they're all garbage.

Allez Hibs
10-09-2021, 08:08 PM

Fully agree. Transfer window wasn't great was it. It's left us short in attacking options (considering the injury to Doidge who will be a big miss on Sunday).

I would like to have seen us better planned in the window tbh considering how well the club is doing.

B.H.F.C
10-09-2021, 08:16 PM
Yeah if the reports are true it seems it was completely scattergun on deadline day. Mathie has had plenty praise but the end to the window didn’t go well at all. Missed out on our key defensive target and didn’t get the forward player the manager wanted.

Best description of it for me. Players we’ve apparently missed out on would all have cost a few quid but were all completely different players, so what did we really want (assuming we couldn’t have afforded all of them). And then the one we did get agreed we didn’t get done in time. No great for me.

10-09-2021, 10:45 PM
We really didn't have a good deadline day at all did we.

In terms of signing anyone, no we didn't.

In terms of not losing any of our top players with no time to replace them, we had an excellent deadline day.

truehibernian
10-09-2021, 11:06 PM
Watch some deadline day footage at clubs in England and then you’ll understand it’s frantic at every club. Targets are missed, some come up unexpectedly, time is the enemy - it’s not easy. The club did really well to fend off interest, retain top players, extend contracts, and get good players in. The young lad from Boro is meant to be excellent- it’s been understated that signing, maybe because McGrath fell through.

eastmainsmsh
11-09-2021, 08:14 AM
Big Dom Malonga signs for Icelandic side remember when he signed his brother was in local pub got craic going with a few of boys he says my brothers signing for Hibs always liked Him quality when on form

O'Rourke3
11-09-2021, 10:42 PM
Guessing on the final few days we are not chasing multiple primary targets. In that if we want a forward we do not open negotiations with "all 5 remaining". It'll be pushing hard on 1 and tentative with 2 and so on. At each end there's the negotiator, team manager, CEO/owner or CEO and owner. There is also the player and agent. There may also be the unknowns like players and agents as "make weights". Each iteration will involve about three on each side and never all of them on the same call at the same time.

Call 1, we want to buy x. What will it cost? Back and forward where fee is discussed or fee plus swap. Either of which will need okayed by manager,/CEO on both sides. Now repeat as nauseum while details like "I know we were only be prepared to offer this but they've suggested..."

Off to the side, letting the make weights know another team wants them and we are prepared to let this happen. Negotiating percent of wages we will pay if its a loan etc.

Now imagine you have an injury in a position you were not anticipating filling as well as finding a stategic target seems to become available all within a few days or even hours of the window closing. At the same time you already know your top two/three/four targets have declined or moved somewhere else.

You have two hours to complete all that and sort/qa the paperwork at the end of a 16 hour shift. You have probably been working 12 hour shifts the previous few days.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
13-09-2021, 05:40 PM
Connor Wickham joins Preston until 13/1/2022

CockneyRebel
13-09-2021, 06:03 PM
Connor Wickham joins Preston until 13/1/2022

If he plays more than 6 matches that will be more than he's played in the last few years.

Just_Jimmy
13-09-2021, 06:16 PM
Guessing on the final few days we are not chasing multiple primary targets. In that if we want a forward we do not open negotiations with "all 5 remaining". It'll be pushing hard on 1 and tentative with 2 and so on. At each end there's the negotiator, team manager, CEO/owner or CEO and owner. There is also the player and agent. There may also be the unknowns like players and agents as "make weights". Each iteration will involve about three on each side and never all of them on the same call at the same time.

Call 1, we want to buy x. What will it cost? Back and forward where fee is discussed or fee plus swap. Either of which will need okayed by manager,/CEO on both sides. Now repeat as nauseum while details like "I know we were only be prepared to offer this but they've suggested..."

Off to the side, letting the make weights know another team wants them and we are prepared to let this happen. Negotiating percent of wages we will pay if its a loan etc.

Now imagine you have an injury in a position you were not anticipating filling as well as finding a stategic target seems to become available all within a few days or even hours of the window closing. At the same time you already know your top two/three/four targets have declined or moved somewhere else.

You have two hours to complete all that and sort/qa the paperwork at the end of a 16 hour shift. You have probably been working 12 hour shifts the previous few days.

Sent from my SM-T580 using TapatalkNah, too much common sense. Hibs are a shambles/joke blah blah

You're right obviously, and an excellent post.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Eyrie
13-09-2021, 07:58 PM

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
I used to play Football Manager so I know there's a better way. You save your game, make the bid and it's either accepted or you reload and try again.

Why couldn't Mathie just do that? Much easier than all this offer, counter offer, negotiate, persuade etc stuff.