PDA

View Full Version : Porto

Helensburghhibs
28-08-2021, 08:56 PM
What a start to the season he has had individually. Solid and distribution ha been great if he played for Aberdeen the sportsound mafia would be pushing for him to be in the scotland setup

JohnM1875
29-08-2021, 11:42 AM
I know he has some hit in him, but wouldn't have him on free kicks!

A few wee mistakes yesterday with his judgement but has had a real good start to the season. Pleased for him.

gbhibby
30-08-2021, 01:59 AM
Better player than Scott McKenna.

FilipinoHibs
30-08-2021, 02:06 AM
Another bombsite moment in Saturday when he was last man, tried to beat an attacker and got caught. Luckily we got away with it. Needs to cut that out.

SMAXXA
30-08-2021, 04:39 AM
Another bombsite moment in Saturday when he was last man, tried to beat an attacker and got caught. Luckily we got away with it. Needs to cut that out.

Good for you to pick out one moment he made a mistake to contribute to a thread about praising one of our players.

FilipinoHibs
30-08-2021, 04:49 AM
Good for you to pick out one moment he made a mistake to contribute to a thread about praising one of our players.

He has cost us in quite a few games with his bomb scare moments. There was also a free kick he gave away at the edge of the box in the second half. Luckily Livi made a mess of it. What worries me is that he has not learnt from the previous mishaps. I like Porty as a person and player - his crisp forward passing is great as is ability in the air, although not always his marking. But let's not gloss over his short comings. Hopefully, the management team will drum it into him.

Smartie
30-08-2021, 05:46 AM

That was the first thing I saw when I got into the ground on Saturday.

It does feel a bit unfair to highlight it, because other than that moment and one or maybe 2 others he had an excellent game on Saturday.

Porteous has had an excellent start to the season and I thought that, daft moments aside, his willingness to play from the back was a huge part of our good performance.

Helensburghhibs
30-08-2021, 06:47 AM
He has cost us in quite a few games with his bomb scare moments. There was also a free kick he gave away at the edge of the box in the second half. Luckily Livi made a mess of it. What worries me is that he has not learnt from the previous mishaps. I like Porty as a person and player - his crisp forward passing is great as is ability in the air, although not always his marking. But let's not gloss over his short comings. Hopefully, the management team will drum it into him.

There's not a defender in the league who doesn't have those moments, in fact I struggle to think of one in world football just now. Hopefully he cuts them out and then we can sell him for 100 million ;)

basehibby
30-08-2021, 06:54 AM
Porto has exuded Scotland potential ever since his breakthrough to 1st team action. As others have mentioned, perhaps there are some rough edges to his performances that need polishing but surely he cannot be far away - Scotland are not overendowed with quality in that department.

Crunchie
30-08-2021, 07:10 AM
What a start to the season he has had individually. Solid and distribution ha been great if he played for Aberdeen the sportsound mafia would be pushing for him to be in the scotland setup
He's had a couple of bomb scare moments coming out of defence and he still has the odd tendency to lunge in, but I love the big guys confidence and enthusiasm for the game and I think he has a big future ahead of him.

Libby Hibby
30-08-2021, 07:24 AM
Porto has had a great start to the season…his performances are much more mature and with far fewer mistakes.

Stuart93
30-08-2021, 07:29 AM

Personally thought the challenge you’re referring to was never a foul and he won the ball in both challenges.

Thought he was excellent on Saturday.

BILLYHIBS
30-08-2021, 07:47 AM
F
Personally thought the challenge you’re referring to was never a foul and he won the ball in both challenges.

Thought he was excellent on Saturday.
Porto had a cracking game on Saturday but at least two errors of judgement that I can remember one in each half that he was lucky to get away with and on another day might have cost us one or two goals

I don’t know what it is over confidence or whatever but at our level you don’t get time on the ball especially if you are last man

He needs to remove those errors from his game and if he did what a player we would have on our hands

I think the OP has a point

Libby Hibby
30-08-2021, 08:35 AM
Porto has had a great start to the season…his performances are much more mature and with far fewer mistakes.

tmb1875
30-08-2021, 08:48 AM
He’s been excellent so far this season. Disgrace he’s not in the Scotland squad, Clarke’s got his favourites tho. Porto must be wondering what he needs to do to get picked .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smartie
30-08-2021, 09:05 AM

Whilst I agree that he's had a great start to the season, I don't think he's making less mistakes - I think he's been getting away with the mistakes he's made. There were a couple on Saturday that he was very fortunate to get away with to be honest.

I remember there was a spell a couple of years back when I felt really sorry for Paul Hanlon as it seemed every little mistake he made was punished by a goal. In particular I remember a time when he let a Hearts player turn and score a cracker from 20 yards or so at Easter Road - when that's the only goal in a derby, the mistake gets magnified. Porto was incredibly careless at one point during the first half and he was very lucky not to be punished for it, therefore it's easy to gloss over the mistake. At some point that might not be the case.

During the second half though I thought he was excellent. There was a spell where we were knocking the ball around really quite nicely at the back and we were being pressed a reasonable amount. His footballing ability was plain to see around that time (Daz was actually doing very well himself, for all he often gets given the "limited" tag).

With Porteous I guess you have to take the rough with the smooth, a bit like it was with Ambrose. I don't think you want to curb the instinct to play football but the other players need to be prepared to get in and cover for him if it goes pear-shaped. And, dare I say it, it might require a slightly different approach in big games or against stronger opposition - opposition who are more likely to punish those mistakes.

Speedy
30-08-2021, 09:56 AM
He’s been excellent so far this season. Disgrace he’s not in the Scotland squad, Clarke’s got his favourites tho. Porto must be wondering what he needs to do to get picked .

It's obvious what he needs to do, he needs to reduce the silly mistakes.

Good player with great potential but international teams will punish you for things you get away with against the likes of Livi. Steve Clarke will know this.

tmb1875
30-08-2021, 10:19 AM
I think people over exaggerate his mistakes, I’d much rather have some one retain the ball and try passes that start off our attacking moves than pump the ball to their centre half’s or out the pitch.

Peevemor
30-08-2021, 10:23 AM
I think people over exaggerate his mistakes, I’d much rather have some one retain the ball and try passes that start off our attacking moves than pump the ball to their centre half’s or out the pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkHe has made some real stoaters.

He's fairly young and he's still learning and improving, which in itself shows that he has the right attitude.

That's all we can ask for really.

Langlee Hibs
30-08-2021, 10:36 AM
He's certainly entertaining. Some of his twirls and birls this year have been sublime if a little heart stopping! Granted if they don't come off then he'd rightly get pelters but he's getting better all the time imo. Loved the fact he was taking that free kick from the get go on Saturday..... even if he did make a hash of it.

JoeT
30-08-2021, 10:54 AM
I'm loving his enthusiasm and gallusness. Up there with Boyle running at full pelt, Nisbet’s finishing and Allan's slide rule passes in why I love going to the games.

Irish_Steve
30-08-2021, 09:21 PM
He's certainly entertaining. Some of his twirls and birls this year have been sublime if a little heart stopping! Granted if they don't come off then he'd rightly get pelters but he's getting better all the time imo. Loved the fact he was taking that free kick from the get go on Saturday..... even if he did make a hash of it.

Yip, he has improved immensely but those wee turns he does give me heart failure. He did one drag back to get himself out of a tight spot but if the attacker had nicked the ball, he would have been clean through on goal. All ifs and buts and maybe Porto thought he could get away with it as it was a Livi player. Wouldn’t fancy hi I’m trying the same manoeuvre against that Japanese bloke Celtc have

1875Sean
30-08-2021, 09:24 PM
Really don’t get the hype, looks good against your Ross country’s and Livingstone’s but for me in the big games against quality players he isn’t all that, really don’t understand how so many people go on about him being the next big thing but it’s maybe just me

JimBHibees
30-08-2021, 09:38 PM
Really don’t get the hype, looks good against your Ross country’s and Livingstone’s but for me in the big games against quality players he isn’t all that, really don’t understand how so many people go on about him being the next big thing but it’s maybe just me

Think he has been excellent this year. Can still have his moments however think his distribution and presence have been much improved this season.

inglisavhibs
30-08-2021, 09:45 PM
The way he plays from the back and the passes he makes means there will always be the chance of an error, that is unavoidable. He starts so many attacks for us with fast passes and long may he continue to play like that. You are looking for perfection. We will miss him greatly when he leaves, as we will Paul Hanlon. Enjoy them while we can, the replacements are unlikely to be so good.

Smartie
30-08-2021, 09:57 PM

He’s got the raw materials - size, strength, pace, aggression and decent ability.

The rough edges he has (questionable decisions making at times) should be rectifiable, and if we can do that then we have a fantastic player on our hands.

He needs to learn and improve. He’s now played often enough that he’s far from a kid, and he’s at the stage where he needs to develop more. Playing every week will help and whilst I think he’s playing very well, he doesn’t yet look like he’s far too good for us.

1875Sean
30-08-2021, 10:13 PM
He’s got the raw materials - size, strength, pace, aggression and decent ability.

The rough edges he has (questionable decisions making at times) should be rectifiable, and if we can do that then we have a fantastic player on our hands.

He needs to learn and improve. He’s now played often enough that he’s far from a kid, and he’s at the stage where he needs to develop more. Playing every week will help and whilst I think he’s playing very well, he doesn’t yet look like he’s far too good for us.

Exactly he has been in the team for 4 years now and for me he hasn’t improved as I hoped, I agree he is aggressive, can pick a pass but he still is rash and positionally questionable, he should have been out of sight against Livvy and he dives in an gives away a free kick at the edge of the box which was close in going in. I suppose I just get annoyed at some who think he can’t do no wrong or blame others, usually Hanlon. Don’t think he will be getting any Scotland caps anytime soon but I hope I am wrong

Block
30-08-2021, 10:14 PM

Totally.

He's only 22 and been at the heart of our defense when finishing 3rd last year and now sitting at the top of the league currently. Not too shoddy for a defender of his age.

Be honest, the lad's different class. And will only get better.......

BILLYHIBS
31-08-2021, 06:28 AM
Pretty sure Saturday was his 100th appearance for HIBS

I can still picture the image of the wee laddie on holiday with his HIBS strip on

Who knew ?

He’s one of our own

:not worth