PDA

View Full Version : Younger fans

swordin3
26-08-2021, 07:54 AM
As a club and ourselves do we do enough to encourage the younger kids in our society to get interested and end up attending games and hopefully turn into life long Supporters.Could the club set up a point on Saturday mornings in the Kirgate or Waterloo place handing out badges or flyers to encourage parents or even the odd tourist to come along.

Juniper Greens
26-08-2021, 11:32 PM
As a club and ourselves do we do enough to encourage the younger kids in our society to get interested and end up attending games and hopefully turn into life long Supporters.Could the club set up a point on Saturday mornings in the Kirgate or Waterloo place handing out badges or flyers to encourage parents or even the odd tourist to come along.

And yet some people want to turf families out of the FFL

Chuck Rhoades
27-08-2021, 05:16 AM

That’s not true though is it?

Ringothedog
27-08-2021, 05:29 AM

And neither is the point that we do not “do enough to encourage” younger fans

Since452
27-08-2021, 05:43 AM

To be fair, when I was a youngster when my old man first took me I wasn't blown away by the brilliant family section, i was in awe of the atmosphere in the east and wanted a bit of it. I've never seen so many youngsters following Hibs as there is now and the singing section/ultras have a big part in that. It's appealing for kids. Hibs are definitely the "cooler" club in Edinburgh for youngsters. Showing my age saying that.

Juniper Greens
27-08-2021, 05:47 AM

But it is. You just need to read the posts thst appear every season on stadium atmosphere etc. There was a post the other day about the FFL again

Since90+2
27-08-2021, 05:53 AM
But it is. You just need to read the posts thst appear every season on stadium atmosphere etc. There was a post the other day about the FFL again

There has been a discussion, with opposing views on both sides, that the atmosphere could potentially be improved by moving the singing section to the FF lower and the family area moved to west lower.

That's what has happened rather than using emotive language like turfing families out.

WhileTheChief..
27-08-2021, 06:40 AM
To be fair, when I was a youngster when my old man first took me I wasn't blown away by the brilliant family section, i was in awe of the atmosphere in the east and wanted a bit of it. I've never seen so many youngsters following Hibs as there is now and the singing section/ultras have a big part in that. It's appealing for kids. Hibs are definitely the "cooler" club in Edinburgh for youngsters. Showing my age saying that.

:top marksCouldn’t agree more.

You wanted to be in amongst the action, to be singing words you shouldn’t be singing, and being part of winding up the opposition.

You didn’t want to be next to toddlers getting their face painted.

Since452
27-08-2021, 06:54 AM

You wanted to be in amongst the action, to be singing words you shouldn’t be singing, and being part of winding up the opposition.

Exactly

Brightside
27-08-2021, 06:56 AM
There has been a discussion, with opposing views on both sides, that the atmosphere could potentially be improved by moving the singing section to the FF lower and the family area moved to west lower.

That's what has happened rather than using emotive language like turfing families out.

It would be the east if they ever moved it. West are the best seats in the house. Commercially it would make no sense to have a family area there.

Keith_M
27-08-2021, 07:31 AM
Jeez, do we have to have a FFL/Singing Section debate again?

The OP was asking a perfectly legitimate question that had sod all to do with that.

The Modfather
27-08-2021, 07:52 AM

I don’t think we, or Scottish football in general, do enough. I think Scottish football is vastly overpriced and not value for money. Ron has shown that he’s quite innovative and has the benefit of not coming from the Scottish football bubble. I’d hope that ticket prices is in his match day experience focus. As well as different options for buying tickets.

WhileTheChief..
27-08-2021, 08:01 AM
Hibs, and pretty much every other club in Scotland, have banged on about being family friendly for decades.

It doesn't work. Or if it does, it's had limited effect.

Target 15 - 30 year olds and get them hooked for life. That's football's demograhic.

Check the adverts whenever you watch a game on TV. They're not for Lego or Peppa Pig, they're for Gillette, Bet 365, Ford etc for a reason.

Since452
27-08-2021, 08:02 AM
I don’t think we, or Scottish football in general, do enough. I think Scottish football is vastly overpriced and not value for money. Ron has shown that he’s quite innovative and has the benefit of not coming from the Scottish football bubble. I’d hope that ticket prices is in his match day experience focus. As well as different options for buying tickets.

I agree. I'm on the fence about going tomorrow as have my daughter. We're Fifers so it becomes a very expensive day when you add it all up. If it was just me i'd be there in a flash. I think more could be done on the pricing but then we're also a business that has suffered in the pandemic so it's a difficult one.

LeithMike
27-08-2021, 08:40 AM

You didn’t want to be next to toddlers getting their face painted.That's probably correct but, as a parent, that makes me nervous about taking my kids. Given the reports of the songs at Dundee last week, I'm not sure I want my kids exposed to that, particularly if they are going to be attracted to it. I'm happy to expose them to some swearing and shouting while I'm with them but some of the behaviour of football fans is reprehensible and wouldnt be tolerated outside of a football ground.

I certainly would have second thoughts about taking kids to a derby at Tynecastle or any away game and wonder if that is right? I wonder if clubs could do more for families for these games. It seems a shame that these are no go for younger kids due to the behaviour of others?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

bigwheel
27-08-2021, 08:43 AM

Yep. And when the time was right we all
Moved towards the singing, but the early years shouldn’t be there ..that is a right of passage that comes along the way…..I would want young kids hearing and in amongst the chants and songs

Tommy75
27-08-2021, 09:06 AM
I think as a country we don't do enough to get kids interested in the Scottish game. The whole game up here is set up to benefit 2 teams and the rest are forced to tow the line.

Look at the state of our TV deal - 9 times out of 10 the televised game is whoever Rangers or Celtic are playing away. We have games like Rangers v Hibs/Aberdeen/Hearts overlooked for St Mirren V Celtic. It is frustrating and sad to see but I don't blame kids for being put off the Scottish game in its current state.

WhileTheChief..
27-08-2021, 09:33 AM
That's probably correct but, as a parent, that makes me nervous about taking my kids. Given the reports of the songs at Dundee last week, I'm not sure I want my kids exposed to that, particularly if they are going to be attracted to it. I'm happy to expose them to some swearing and shouting while I'm with them but some of the behaviour of football fans is reprehensible and wouldnt be tolerated outside of a football ground.

I certainly would have second thoughts about taking kids to a derby at Tynecastle or any away game and wonder if that is right? I wonder if clubs could do more for families for these games. It seems a shame that these are no go for younger kids due to the behaviour of others?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Your kids won't know what's being sung if they're young.

I remember asking my dad at every game what they were singing, "I'll tell you when you're older son" or " not sure son" was the staple reply.

Or a thick ear if I joined in :greengrin

loanheadhibby
27-08-2021, 12:30 PM
Your kids won't know what's being sung if they're young.

I remember asking my dad at every game what they were singing, "I'll tell you when you're older son" or " not sure son" was the staple reply.

Or a thick ear if I joined in :greengrin

I took my daughter to Dons semi 2-3 and after I asked if she enjoyed it. Aye, was the reply, except why do they keep singing about tuna rolls?

I explained to her it was "2 in a row" and not Tuna Rolls.

She's not been back since.