PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Kilmarnock 15 08 21)

Jonnyboy
15-08-2021, 05:26 PM
With Thursday night’s disappointment still fresh in the mind I wondered pre match how the players would handle that when Killie came to town under the leadership of that wily old fox Tommy Wright. It’s worth recalling that Hibs had had difficulties when Wright was manager of St. Johnstone, and it was no surprise to me that Killie were set up exactly the same way with everyone behind the ball when not in possession and then breaking quickly when they had possession of their own. The first half of today’s game followed that pattern but a few tweaks at half time had Hibs in command for the remainder of the game. Overall, the reaction to Thursday’s defeat was a positive one.

Some teams had made substantial changes to their starting eleven and some paid the penalty, Aberdeen perhaps the biggest of the remaining sides coming a cropper at Starks Park. Jack Ross took the opposite and, in my mind, correct view and fielded the strongest eleven available to him. For Kilmarnock there was no sign of former Hibee Fraser Murray whilst Jason Naismith started, and Stephen McGinn was on the bench.

In a sharp start to the game, Murphy made space for himself on the left and whipped in a cross that Martin Boyle came within inches of reaching before Boyle beat his man, but his cut back was intercepted. Hibs almost went behind when a high ball deceived Porteous and fell to Scott Robinson who raced into the box but shot straight at Macey who saved the effort. There was a split second after the ball beat Porteous that Macey looked as though he was going to rush out, but he changed his mind and stood tall.

Killie were good in possession and their quick breaking style was causing concern with McKenzie next to test the Hibs keeper with a low shot. At the other end, Murphy fired a snap shot at goal but it was blocked before it reached Walker. There were a few niggly fouls creeping in, and Rory McKenzie was lucky to escape a caution for two challenges in a row. As the half wore on, Killie started to risk getting forward more often and around the thirty five minute mark a ferocious drive from Alston crashed off Macey’s bar with the keeper well beaten. Moments later, Nisbet tested Walker who saved low to his left and in the final action of the half, McKenzie committed one foul too many and was duly booked.

I’ll be honest and say I found that the first half dragged on and was verging on being boring but from the off in the second half it was a different story. Hibs were moving the ball much more quickly and there was better movement all around. After just three minutes, Nisbet should have scored with a free header from a Doig cross but steered the ball over the bar with Walker stranded. It took just three minutes more before Hibs took the lead. A fine pass down the line from McGinn found Nisbet who bore down on goal before squaring to Magennis to strike the ball home. It was a fine goal for all its simplicity, and it was very unselfish of Nisbet to set up the strike.

Hibs were in the ascendency now and as Magennis chased a ball into the Killie box their defender suddenly toppled over clutching his hamstring. Inexplicably and to the collective anger of the home support, referee Bobby Madden blew his whistle and stopped Nisbet getting in on goal. There was no foul and therefore no infringement, but the game restarted with the ball dropped at Walker’s feet. The Killie keeper knew fine well the game should have restarted with Hibs in possession and duly punted a clearance right to Macey at the other end. As all of this was unfolding, Doig left the pitch clutching his groin and was replaced by Lewis Stevenson.

Killie had to open up a bit now and that created more space for Hibs to try and extend their lead with a Boyle effort flashing across the goal after Polworth had tested Macey at the other end. Nisbet was next to try his luck, but the effort was deflected wide for a corner. At this point, Jack Ross replaced Jamie Murphy with Scott Allan. Murphy had featured well in the game, and I can only assume he was either tired out or carrying a minor injury.

Hibs began to pepper the Killie goal with Magennis and Nisbet having decent efforts saved before the latter headed his side into a two goal lead. A cracking lofted pass from Newell took out the Killie back line and found Nisbet free having stayed onside. Kev did very well with his back almost to the goal as he glanced his headed finish into the bottom corner. Killie made changes to try and salvage the game, but those changes had no real effect as Hibs continued to dominate the ball. With five minutes left, Boyle again came close before being replaced by Drey Wright, but the game was pretty much done and dusted by then.

The players

Macey – Saved well when Robinson was clean through, but I felt he flapped at a couple of crosses and some of kick outs were poor.

McGinn – Paul is going through a bad patch I reckon and in the first half he looked nervous in possession, but he improved greatly in the second and set Nisbet free for the first goal.

Porteous – Never really looked troubled although he was caught under the ball for the Robinson effort early in the game. I have this irrational dislike of him taking far too long when he has the ball at his feet and everyone ahead of him. I know he needs movement from others, but I still feel he dallies too long at times.

McGregor – I have absolutely no doubt Daz would have been hurting for his part in last Thursday’s defeat but he’s a consummate professional and he proved that today with a near flawless performance.

Doig – Josh doesn’t seem to venture forward as much anymore and though he did it a few times today it was nowhere near as often as we’ve seen him doing in the past. What looks like a groin strain is bad news for him as such injuries take a while to heal.

Newell – A quiet but effective first half was followed by an excellent second. His ball for the second goal was sublime and as others have said on here before he looks a different player when he gets further forward. He was able to do that today thanks to my man of the match ………….

Doyle-Hayes – To me, this lad is something special. A fantastic engine and pretty much unflappable when in tight spaces with the ball at his feet. Everything just looks so neat and tidy and he’s one of those players who always look like they’ve plenty of time with the ball at their feet.

Boyle – Martin never really got going in the first half with Killie’s tactics reducing the space he does his best work in. Was much better in the second half and unlucky with a couple of decent efforts on goal.

Magennis – He, and Darren McGregor were high in my thoughts when choosing a man of the match. I thought Kyle was excellent today and I love the fact that we now have a midfield player who scores goals.

Murphy – It’s a joy to see him drop his shoulder and flow past a defender with absolute ease. I keep reading he has no pace and yet he keeps disproving that by leaving defenders in his wake.

Nisbet – Some of his touches are sublime and his movement off the ball is impressive. Set up one and scored the other today and generally had a very good game.

Stevenson – Lewis is the very man you want to bring on when somebody like Chris Burke is at the top of his game. Burke had Doig worried a few times, but I honestly don’t recall him getting the better of Lewis.

Allan – Great to see Scotty back strutting his stuff and though it showed he was a bit ring rusty those minutes will be banked for future use.

MacKay – Never really got enough of a chance to shine though his work rate in closing their defenders and keeper down was impressive.

Wright – Like MacKay he had little chance to catch the eye.

Jack Ross – I’m sure he’ll be pleased with his players, coming off the back of Thursday’s disappointment.

Referee - Madden was just Madden – love him or hate him – but his stopping of the game when the Killie defender pulled up with a hamstring injury should be a source of embarrassment to him.

04Sauzee
15-08-2021, 05:36 PM
I seen Doig going off but hadn't realise he had a knock/injury/strain

Mikey
15-08-2021, 05:50 PM
I seen Doig going off but hadn't realise he had a knock/injury/strain

Yep, definitely limped off.

Billy Whizz
15-08-2021, 05:52 PM
Yep, definitely limped off.

That’s all we need is another injury

Good report John, really pleased with how McGinn came onto a game in the 2nd half

Borderhibbie76
15-08-2021, 07:59 PM
Great report as always and I agree with it all tbh esp the point about Porto dallying in possession- it really slowed us down in first half and is quite annoying. Also good point re Big Daz - bounced back superbly after Thurs night and we expect nothing less from the big Legend

lord bunberry
15-08-2021, 08:22 PM
Another excellent report John. I agree about Nisbet, his link up play is tremendous.

allezsauzee
15-08-2021, 08:53 PM
I'm in complete agreement with your assessment of JDH. He looks a cracking player and although he is only in the door, I'd like to see us trying to get him to sign an extension on the 2 years contract.

O'Rourke3
15-08-2021, 09:38 PM
Not a lot to dispute as always but I'll add some BBC facts from Sportsound. McGinn abd Murray missing for Killie because they are still with Hibs and on loan. Joe Newall selflessly squared the ball for McGennis.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

CMurdoch
15-08-2021, 10:42 PM
Not a lot to dispute as always but I'll add some BBC facts from Sportsound. McGinn abd Murray missing for Killie because they are still with Hibs and on loan. Joe Newall selflessly squared the ball for McGennis.

McGinn came on as a 2nd half sub for Killie

16-08-2021, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the report Johnnyboy.

Important one on one save by Macey after 8 minutes. I think I'm right in saying that's him made 3 or 4 now and I'm trying to think of any he's let it but can't. My gut feeling is that he's saved a good percentage of them and if it wasn't time for bed I'd be looking back at the highlights of his previous games to check my brain isn't playing tricks on me.

Impressed at Nesbit's unselfishness and awareness to see Magennis was in a better position than him to score and slid it to him perfectly to make it virtually unmissable.

Great credit to Joe Newell for not only spotting Nisbet's run but also for how quickly he delivered the ball with pinpoint precision to avoid the offside.

Greenbeard
16-08-2021, 07:00 AM

No, JB's eyes were good. Nisbet it was (per highlights).

Hibrandenburg
16-08-2021, 07:49 AM
Thanks JB, didn't get to see the game yesterday so as always this thread is my first stop.

O'Rourke3
16-08-2021, 08:02 AM
Thanks to everyone who played. I was pointing out mistakes in the BBC reporting not having a go at our intrepid reporter.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
16-08-2021, 08:16 AM
Thanks Jonnyboy brilliant as usual

Always the first port of call especially when HIBS TV lets the side down :greengrin

inglisavhibs
16-08-2021, 10:06 AM
With Thursday night’s disappointment still fresh in the mind I wondered pre match how the players would handle that when Killie came to town under the leadership of that wily old fox Tommy Wright. It’s worth recalling that Hibs had had difficulties when Wright was manager of St. Johnstone, and it was no surprise to me that Killie were set up exactly the same way with everyone behind the ball when not in possession and then breaking quickly when they had possession of their own. The first half of today’s game followed that pattern but a few tweaks at half time had Hibs in command for the remainder of the game. Overall, the reaction to Thursday’s defeat was a positive one.

Some teams had made substantial changes to their starting eleven and some paid the penalty, Aberdeen perhaps the biggest of the remaining sides coming a cropper at Starks Park. Jack Ross took the opposite and, in my mind, correct view and fielded the strongest eleven available to him. For Kilmarnock there was no sign of former Hibee Fraser Murray whilst Jason Naismith started, and Stephen McGinn was on the bench.

In a sharp start to the game, Murphy made space for himself on the left and whipped in a cross that Martin Boyle came within inches of reaching before Boyle beat his man, but his cut back was intercepted. Hibs almost went behind when a high ball deceived Porteous and fell to Scott Robinson who raced into the box but shot straight at Macey who saved the effort. There was a split second after the ball beat Porteous that Macey looked as though he was going to rush out, but he changed his mind and stood tall.

Killie were good in possession and their quick breaking style was causing concern with McKenzie next to test the Hibs keeper with a low shot. At the other end, Murphy fired a snap shot at goal but it was blocked before it reached Walker. There were a few niggly fouls creeping in, and Rory McKenzie was lucky to escape a caution for two challenges in a row. As the half wore on, Killie started to risk getting forward more often and around the thirty five minute mark a ferocious drive from Alston crashed off Macey’s bar with the keeper well beaten. Moments later, Nisbet tested Walker who saved low to his left and in the final action of the half, McKenzie committed one foul too many and was duly booked.

I’ll be honest and say I found that the first half dragged on and was verging on being boring but from the off in the second half it was a different story. Hibs were moving the ball much more quickly and there was better movement all around. After just three minutes, Nisbet should have scored with a free header from a Doig cross but steered the ball over the bar with Walker stranded. It took just three minutes more before Hibs took the lead. A fine pass down the line from McGinn found Nisbet who bore down on goal before squaring to Magennis to strike the ball home. It was a fine goal for all its simplicity, and it was very unselfish of Nisbet to set up the strike.

Hibs were in the ascendency now and as Magennis chased a ball into the Killie box their defender suddenly toppled over clutching his hamstring. Inexplicably and to the collective anger of the home support, referee Bobby Madden blew his whistle and stopped Nisbet getting in on goal. There was no foul and therefore no infringement, but the game restarted with the ball dropped at Walker’s feet. The Killie keeper knew fine well the game should have restarted with Hibs in possession and duly punted a clearance right to Macey at the other end. As all of this was unfolding, Doig left the pitch clutching his groin and was replaced by Lewis Stevenson.

Killie had to open up a bit now and that created more space for Hibs to try and extend their lead with a Boyle effort flashing across the goal after Polworth had tested Macey at the other end. Nisbet was next to try his luck, but the effort was deflected wide for a corner. At this point, Jack Ross replaced Jamie Murphy with Scott Allan. Murphy had featured well in the game, and I can only assume he was either tired out or carrying a minor injury.

Hibs began to pepper the Killie goal with Magennis and Nisbet having decent efforts saved before the latter headed his side into a two goal lead. A cracking lofted pass from Newell took out the Killie back line and found Nisbet free having stayed onside. Kev did very well with his back almost to the goal as he glanced his headed finish into the bottom corner. Killie made changes to try and salvage the game, but those changes had no real effect as Hibs continued to dominate the ball. With five minutes left, Boyle again came close before being replaced by Drey Wright, but the game was pretty much done and dusted by then.

The players

Macey – Saved well when Robinson was clean through, but I felt he flapped at a couple of crosses and some of kick outs were poor.

McGinn – Paul is going through a bad patch I reckon and in the first half he looked nervous in possession, but he improved greatly in the second and set Nisbet free for the first goal.

Porteous – Never really looked troubled although he was caught under the ball for the Robinson effort early in the game. I have this irrational dislike of him taking far too long when he has the ball at his feet and everyone ahead of him. I know he needs movement from others, but I still feel he dallies too long at times.

McGregor – I have absolutely no doubt Daz would have been hurting for his part in last Thursday’s defeat but he’s a consummate professional and he proved that today with a near flawless performance.

Doig – Josh doesn’t seem to venture forward as much anymore and though he did it a few times today it was nowhere near as often as we’ve seen him doing in the past. What looks like a groin strain is bad news for him as such injuries take a while to heal.

Newell – A quiet but effective first half was followed by an excellent second. His ball for the second goal was sublime and as others have said on here before he looks a different player when he gets further forward. He was able to do that today thanks to my man of the match ………….

Doyle-Hayes – To me, this lad is something special. A fantastic engine and pretty much unflappable when in tight spaces with the ball at his feet. Everything just looks so neat and tidy and he’s one of those players who always look like they’ve plenty of time with the ball at their feet.

Boyle – Martin never really got going in the first half with Killie’s tactics reducing the space he does his best work in. Was much better in the second half and unlucky with a couple of decent efforts on goal.

Magennis – He, and Darren McGregor were high in my thoughts when choosing a man of the match. I thought Kyle was excellent today and I love the fact that we now have a midfield player who scores goals.

Murphy – It’s a joy to see him drop his shoulder and flow past a defender with absolute ease. I keep reading he has no pace and yet he keeps disproving that by leaving defenders in his wake.

Nisbet – Some of his touches are sublime and his movement off the ball is impressive. Set up one and scored the other today and generally had a very good game.

Stevenson – Lewis is the very man you want to bring on when somebody like Chris Burke is at the top of his game. Burke had Doig worried a few times, but I honestly don’t recall him getting the better of Lewis.

Allan – Great to see Scotty back strutting his stuff and though it showed he was a bit ring rusty those minutes will be banked for future use.

MacKay – Never really got enough of a chance to shine though his work rate in closing their defenders and keeper down was impressive.

Wright – Like MacKay he had little chance to catch the eye.

Jack Ross – I’m sure he’ll be pleased with his players, coming off the back of Thursday’s disappointment.

Referee - Madden was just Madden – love him or hate him – but his stopping of the game when the Killie defender pulled up with a hamstring injury should be a source of embarrassment to him.

I think Doig kicked the sole of the Killie defender as he crossed the ball towards the end of the first half. He limped back in to position and this may be the problem. Didn't actually think that Doyle Hayes was as sharp as he has been. Nisbet scored the more difficult header after missing an absolute sitter from Doig's cross earlier in the half. He sometimes looks a top class player but still has to work much harder to retain the ball when under pressure. Porteous was immense and we would miss him greatly should he leave us in this window.