PDA

View Full Version : Striker Required

dastardly8
15-08-2021, 03:34 PM
With Doidge looking like a long term absentee , who do you think we could bring in ?

Diclonius
15-08-2021, 03:42 PM
https://www.scotsman.com/images-e.jpimedia.uk/imagefetch/http://www.scotsman.com/webimage/Prestige.Item.1.43964617!image/600792597.jpg?width=640&enable=upscale

Tobias Funke
15-08-2021, 03:44 PM
https://www.scotsman.com/images-e.jpimedia.uk/imagefetch/http://www.scotsman.com/webimage/Prestige.Item.1.43964617!image/600792597.jpg?width=640&enable=upscale

Not the answer sadly, as much as I love the guy and what he did for Hibs we are at a higher level now and Jason isn’t what we need.

Northernhibee
15-08-2021, 03:44 PM

I'm not sure he's even close to the level we require anymore and he'd need a fee.

Irish_Steve
15-08-2021, 03:45 PM
I believe Aguero is trying to get out of his Barca contract since they punted Messi

Tobias Funke
15-08-2021, 03:46 PM
I will add that I’d happily have him as backup to Nisbet but not as a replacement for Doidge and his injury.

Hibs90
15-08-2021, 03:47 PM
We needed a striker anyway, so if we can get two in that would be great.

Diclonius
15-08-2021, 03:47 PM
I'm not sure he's even close to the level we require anymore and he'd need a fee.

He's only 26, he has the ability and we can bring it out. Some players just suit specific clubs ala Scott Allan.

Key West
15-08-2021, 03:49 PM
Kyle Magennis is doing well as a second striker!

Northernhibee
15-08-2021, 03:55 PM
If I was to pick two that admittedly would likely attract fees, I'd be looking at Nicky Clark at Dundee United and Stevie May at St Johnstone. Clark appears to be a handy right time right place striker who scores his fair share of goals, Stevie May may not be the player he was before he left St Johnstone the first time around offers the same aerial threat as Doidge does and is still IMO a very decent player.

berwickhibee
15-08-2021, 03:58 PM
Jordan White always scores a few and a handful.

Borderhibbie76
15-08-2021, 04:28 PM

Please tell me your joking.. he is awful

jeffers
15-08-2021, 04:29 PM
He's only 26, he has the ability and we can bring it out. Some players just suit specific clubs ala Scott Allan.

Should have taken a punt when he was available for nothing, can’t see us paying a fee for him now.

Northernhibee
15-08-2021, 04:31 PM

I know what you mean, and I'd like us to have two strikers who know the Scottish top flight well but there's just something in the back of my mind that wonders how much he 'wants it' nowadays. He seems to have had enough chances and what should be wake up calls since leaving us to kick on but he never seems to have done so.

04Sauzee
15-08-2021, 04:32 PM
Please tell me your joking.. he is awful

He's not awful. He's not even that good.

Callum_62
15-08-2021, 04:33 PM
We need someone with a bit of a physical presence

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Unseen work
15-08-2021, 04:39 PM
We’ll need someone as a first choice to compete with Nisbet and ideally a cheaper third option.

Realistically one would be bigger and handy in the air.

I’d happily take Cummings back, I don’t care what anyone says I think he would score goals. Especially the service Boyle, Allan, Murphy and Magennis provide. He would be a relatively cheap option too.

Don’t think there’s any other strikers in Scotland I’d fancy.

Greg Stewart - Out of contract and a really good technical player. Not the normal Ross type though as he’s not physical or fast

Fraser Hornby - linked to us and January and is a physical presence

Callum Hendry - Cheap option and is physically strong and scores the odd goal. Also linked with us in January.

I suppose the main thing for me is it’s a bit pointless buying and paying a player with no intention of ever really using them or them filling a 6 month gap.

It would cost more money but how about we still just buy the players we think are good enough and will improve the club. The worst that happens is we have too many good quality striker, not an issue especially when you consider Nisbet leaving.

CmoantheHibs
15-08-2021, 04:40 PM
Maybe that Fraser Hornby fella on loan until January. He didn’t do great at the sheep but that was a thankless task. He is a big lad, good in the air and has good control which I think would suit our style. He could play through the middle with the 2 wide forwards or in a partnership with Nisbet.

Pretty Boy
15-08-2021, 04:42 PM
Connor Wickham is a free agent. He's well out of our league in terms of wages for something long term but if we need cover for Doidge and he's still unattached could he be tempted until January to out himself in the shop window?

Guy Melamed who was at St Johnstone last year is also a free agent. I can't really recall much about him but he averaged a goal about every 3 games for them which is an OK return.

Hiber-nation
15-08-2021, 04:56 PM

You don't mean that do you?

Brightside
15-08-2021, 05:12 PM

He’s not good enough for us.

Since452
15-08-2021, 05:30 PM
Maybe that Fraser Hornby fella on loan until January. He didn’t do great at the sheep but that was a thankless task. He is a big lad, good in the air and has good control which I think would suit our style. He could play through the middle with the 2 wide forwards or in a partnership with Nisbet.

Thought he was absolutely hopeless at this level to be honest

CMurdoch
15-08-2021, 05:45 PM
Connor Wickham is a free agent. He's well out of our league in terms of wages for something long term but if we need cover for Doidge and he's still unattached could he be tempted until January to out himself in the shop window?

Guy Melamed who was at St Johnstone last year is also a free agent. I can't really recall much about him but he averaged a goal about every 3 games for them which is an OK return.

Melamed is probably the most sensible name on this thread. He is apparently keen to come back to the UK.
Wickham has barely played for 4 years due to a series of injuries so odds on he would be broken 5 minutes after he arrived so even it was a possible the risk of being left high and dry with a large door stop counts him out.
All other suggestions above are IMO are guff or in the case of Greg Stewart good player but not the type we currently require.

berwickhibee
15-08-2021, 06:07 PM
You don't mean that do you?

Well if people mention hornby and Stewart, why not? 😁

Cod Boy
15-08-2021, 06:30 PM
Gullan must be away if he can’t even get on the pitch today when nisbet got subbed no recognised striker on the pitch.

Northernhibee
15-08-2021, 07:30 PM
Gullan must be away if he can’t even get on the pitch today when nisbet got subbed no recognised striker on the pitch.

I feel terrible for saying it but I've not seen anything from the lad to suggest he'll ever be good enough to be a first team player for us if we have aspirations of regular European football. I get the feeling that if he moves to a Livi, Killie, St Mirren or that he'll have a good career but I just don't think it's destined to be at Hibs.

Pretty Boy
15-08-2021, 07:37 PM
I feel terrible for saying it but I've not seen anything from the lad to suggest he'll ever be good enough to be a first team player for us if we have aspirations of regular European football. I get the feeling that if he moves to a Livi, Killie, St Mirren or that he'll have a good career but I just don't think it's destined to be at Hibs.

One of my neighbours is a Raith fan and loves him and desperately wants him back there.

Tbh now they are back in the Championship I think that would be a good move for him. He's a bit like Fraser Murray in that I truly believe there is a player there but he's just not quite far enough along in his development to force his way into our team and as such it's best for all if he moves on. He's 22 now, that's not a baby and with only just over 20 league appearances it suggests he's not quite there.

Northernhibee
15-08-2021, 07:49 PM
One of my neighbours is a Raith fan and loves him and desperately wants him back there.

Tbh now they are back in the Championship I think that would be a good move for him. He's a bit like Fraser Murray in that I truly believe there is a player there but he's just not quite far enough along in his development to force his way into our team and as such it's best for all if he moves on. He's 22 now, that's not a baby and with only just over 20 league appearances it suggests he's not quite there.

Oli Shaw showed a lot more and in the end I do think it was right for his career to move on.

Centre Hawf
15-08-2021, 11:06 PM
Oli Shaw showed a lot more and in the end I do think it was right for his career to move on.

Agreed. Oli I think could have had more chances in the final months of his Hibs career and I don't think Hecky was good for him at all and in the end it was time for him to try something new. But it's night and day difference between Shaw and Gullan in terms of what they managed to show.

jacomo
15-08-2021, 11:15 PM
Kyle Magennis is doing well as a second striker!

Yes he is and chris mueller may also play that role come January. But we need someone else to lead the line… looking at Sunday’s bench there was no one.

hibeejeebies
16-08-2021, 08:25 AM
There seems to be a real dearth of suitable candidates for our striker predicament on here.

Which makes me think it'll be a gloriously random name from leftfield 😀

Northernhibee
16-08-2021, 09:04 AM
There seems to be a real dearth of suitable candidates for our striker predicament on here.

Which makes me think it'll be a gloriously random name from leftfield ��

Neil Barnes? Paul Daley? Adam Wren?

Langlee Hibs
16-08-2021, 09:31 AM

:top marks:clapper:

EI255
16-08-2021, 10:47 AM
Not the answer sadly, as much as I love the guy and what he did for Hibs we are at a higher level now and Jason isn’t what we need.Yip. If he's not getting a regular start for Dundee (nor his previous clubs) then he's of no use to Hibernian. Simple as that.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

MB62
16-08-2021, 11:05 AM
We have 'tie ins' with about half the english leagues these days. Shirley there's some young striker who would we could get until January that would be interested in coming up and that might do a job???

Smartie
16-08-2021, 11:09 AM
Yip. If he's not getting a regular start for Dundee (nor his previous clubs) then he's of no use to Hibernian. Simple as that.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Jim Leighton and Martin Boyle might have something to say about that.

greenlex
16-08-2021, 11:13 AM
Nothing to do with needing another striker or two but Nisbet probably needs a thread of his own. It. Would have been so easy for him to snatch at a shot yesterday but instead squared it to magenis fir the rap in. Not many strikers would have done that in that situation. Brilliant from the guy.

JimBHibees
16-08-2021, 11:27 AM
Nothing to do with needing another striker or two but Nisbet probably needs a thread of his own. It. Would have been so easy for him to snatch at a shot yesterday but instead squared it to magenis fir the rap in. Not many strikers would have done that in that situation. Brilliant from the guy.

Yep very mature piece of play though obviously the right thing to do. Thought his header was an exceptional finish as wasn't an easy header to take and much harder than the other two headers he should have done better with.

Hibdan12
16-08-2021, 11:55 AM

His mum was the Head teacher back when I was at school, right cow. So on that basis alone no thanks

Since452
16-08-2021, 12:44 PM
Not the answer sadly, as much as I love the guy and what he did for Hibs we are at a higher level now and Jason isn’t what we need.

I don't think there's a fanbase in the country that crave ex players as much as us. Folk were even fawning over Oli Shaw when he scored a tap in against us last season.

jeffers
16-08-2021, 12:48 PM
I don't think there's a fanbase in the country that crave ex players as much as us. Folk were even fawning over Oli Shaw when he scored a tap in against us last season.

Maybe cos we’ve lost a lot of good players over the years ? And Cummings was that for us.

Joe6-2
16-08-2021, 12:49 PM
His mum was the Head teacher back when I was at school, right cow. So on that basis alone no thanks

😂😂😂

MyJo
16-08-2021, 01:42 PM
I would take Cummings back in a heartbeat. He'd work well within our squad although he wouldn't be the guaranteed starter he was whilst we were in the championship if and when we have a full compliment of Doidge, Nisbet and Mueller available going forward.

Swap deal for Gullan and some cash as i think Jamie would be a good player at that level.

Tarrahib
16-08-2021, 02:35 PM
I would take Cummings back in a heartbeat. He'd work well within our squad although he wouldn't be the guaranteed starter he was whilst we were in the championship if and when we have a full compliment of Doidge, Nisbet and Mueller available going forward.

Swap deal for Gullan and some cash as i think Jamie would be a good player at that level.
How much cash should Hibs ask for?

hibbydog
16-08-2021, 02:42 PM
If I was to pick two that admittedly would likely attract fees, I'd be looking at Nicky Clark at Dundee United and Stevie May at St Johnstone. Clark appears to be a handy right time right place striker who scores his fair share of goals, Stevie May may not be the player he was before he left St Johnstone the first time around offers the same aerial threat as Doidge does and is still IMO a very decent player.

Definitely not Stevie May. He’s everything I hate about Aberdeen and St Johnstone. A big dirty, unskilled brute who’s main function as a striker is to defend from the front.

There must be a decent striker in and around League One that we could attract, like we did with Doidge. I know it’s never that simple and everyone’s looking for one.

I’m stuck on this question.

green day
16-08-2021, 02:47 PM

Was that Mrs White?

andrew70
16-08-2021, 02:52 PM

The same level as us?

Hibdan12
16-08-2021, 02:58 PM
Was that Mrs White?

Well yeah hahaha

Northernhibee
16-08-2021, 04:19 PM
Definitely not Stevie May. He’s everything I hate about Aberdeen and St Johnstone. A big dirty, unskilled brute who’s main function as a striker is to defend from the front.

There must be a decent striker in and around League One that we could attract, like we did with Doidge. I know it’s never that simple and everyone’s looking for one.

I’m stuck on this question.

I honestly think if St Johnstone or Aberdeen had signed Christian Doidge he’d be being played in the same way.

RossScott1991
16-08-2021, 04:33 PM
I’d take cummings over Gullan. Swap deal. But I wouldn’t take Cummings as the signing in replace of Doidge. Feel like we need someone similar mould to a Doidge to give us that option of physically / decent in the air

MyJo
16-08-2021, 04:46 PM
The same level as us?

Not sure if you think that Dundee are a top six club competing for European places and trophies or Hibs are a bottom six team who would consider not being relegated a successful season?

degenerated
16-08-2021, 04:54 PM

Guy Melamed who was at St Johnstone last year is also a free agent. I can't really recall much about him but he averaged a goal about every 3 games for them which is an OK return.I know these video compilations are unreliable, but Melamed does look quite good in this one.

https://youtu.be/uVwazqaO2-8

sleeping giant
16-08-2021, 05:07 PM
I know these video compilations are unreliable, but Melamed does look quite good in this one.

https://youtu.be/uVwazqaO2-8

Ooft.
Looks very good.

degenerated
16-08-2021, 05:09 PM
Ooft.
Looks very good.What are Hibs waiting for :greengrin

hibbyfraelibby
16-08-2021, 05:26 PM
Whoever comes in it wont be someone we have heard of before...just like big Flo

Saint Hibee
16-08-2021, 06:02 PM
What’s Dominique Malonga up to these days?

Pretty Boy
16-08-2021, 06:20 PM
What’s Dominique Malonga up to these days?

Still not caring about Rangers.

tonyrougier123
16-08-2021, 06:38 PM
Ollie Palmer afc Wimbledon striker with a bit of presence upfront,ideal foyle for Nisbet and if we insist on lone striker role.

hibbydog
16-08-2021, 08:35 PM
I honestly think if St Johnstone or Aberdeen had signed Christian Doidge he’d be being played in the same way.

Aye - If Derek McInnes signed Messi he’d tell him to win his battles, put in a good shift and generally kick everything that moves.

Delighted to see the back of him

worcesterhibby
16-08-2021, 09:29 PM
For the last 4 years Melamed has scored 1 goal for every 3 he’s played, across 3 clubs and including our league. If he did that for us, he would do just fine. That’s on a par with Doidge or Squirrel 🐿

at last 61
16-08-2021, 10:33 PM
Who's the guy o"conner plays down south can't remember where

tonyrougier123
16-08-2021, 10:41 PM
Liam delap Man City youngster,few teams sniffing for loan no concrete bids as yet.
Or Rotherham boy Freddie ladapo maybe be worth a bid.

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-08-2021, 11:23 PM
With Doidge out effectively until the New Year, any replacement is likely to get a fair run in the first team to make a mark or a name for himself. Ideal shop window for a fringe Eepeell or Championship striker who fancies a full time move in the January window but at this time has little or no stock in trade

CMurdoch
16-08-2021, 11:31 PM
Who's the guy o"conner plays down south can't remember where

Des?

CMurdoch
16-08-2021, 11:34 PM

It's beginning to open up:wink: