PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Madden

BoomtownHibees
15-08-2021, 03:05 PM
Anyone able to explain that decision?

Northernhibee
15-08-2021, 03:07 PM
Which one, denying Magennis his second or not sending off their player for kicking Doyle Hayes?

Since452
15-08-2021, 03:07 PM
Will be swept under the carpet as usual. Bizarre.

BoomtownHibees
15-08-2021, 03:08 PM
Which one, denying Magennis his second or not sending off their player for kicking Doyle Hayes?

Yeah both bad but the Magennis one was prob the worst/most confusing decision I’ve ever seen

DaveF
15-08-2021, 03:14 PM
Usually don't mind Madden as he lets the game go but stopping the game for that is inexplicable.

Langlee Hibs
15-08-2021, 03:16 PM
Never ever seen anything like that in my puff! Stopping the game for a guy pulling up with a leg injury! Mental! There’ll be no explanation though. Nothing to see here!

BoomtownHibees
15-08-2021, 03:17 PM
Never ever seen anything like that in my puff! Stopping the game for a guy pulling up with a leg injury! Mental! There’ll be no explanation though. Nothing to see here!

Stopping it was bad enough but to then give them the ball. Like WTF

hibbysam
15-08-2021, 03:20 PM

I missed it but it all depends who touched the ball last… if it was their player then that’s the right way to restart.

Irish_Steve
15-08-2021, 03:22 PM

He gave them the ball so the keeper could return possession to us. An utterly bizarre decision and him laughing twice toys in the East was just unprofessional. As I said on the match thread, if he had have done the same in an Old Firm game, there would have been a riot

BoomtownHibees
15-08-2021, 03:22 PM
I missed it but it all depends who touched the ball last… if it was their player then that’s the right way to restart.

Magennis nicked the ball off the defender. Said defender goes down clutching his hammy. Madden stops the game and drops the ball for the goalie. Fair play to the keeper for punting then ball right down the other end of the park

hibbysam
15-08-2021, 03:23 PM
Magennis nicked the ball off the defender. Said defender goes down clutching his hammy. Madden stops the game and drops the ball for the goalie. Fair play to the keeper for punting then ball right down the other end of the park

Was the ball in the 18 yard box when stopped? If so it starts with the keeper.

BoomtownHibees
15-08-2021, 03:25 PM

Aye it was. Didn’t know that rule. But game shouldn’t have been stopped in the first place

Langlee Hibs
15-08-2021, 03:26 PM
He gave them the ball so the keeper could return possession to us. An utterly bizarre decision and him laughing twice toys in the East was just unprofessional. As I said on the match thread, if he had have done the same in an Old Firm game, there would have been a riot

Have to admit him laughing at the East, twice, had me in a rage. Absolutely zero reason to stop the game. He made an erse of it and he knew it! Fud!

MWHIBBIES
15-08-2021, 03:29 PM
Disgraceful decision. Never seen anything like it

hibbysam
15-08-2021, 03:31 PM
Aye it was. Didn’t know that rule. But game shouldn’t have been stopped in the first place

Yeah was brought in with the new ‘uncontested drop ball’ rule. Game stopped in either penalty area then keeper gets ball, game stopped anywhere else team to last touch it gets it.

Irish_Steve
15-08-2021, 03:32 PM
Have to admit him laughing at the East, twice, had me in a rage. Absolutely zero reason to stop the game. He made an erse of it and he knew it! Fud!

Aye, he could have very easily sparked someone off with his behaviour. Utter clown.

lord bunberry
15-08-2021, 03:41 PM
Obviously we’ll not hear anything about it again but I’d love to hear his explanation of why he stopped the game. As for him laughing, I’m guessing it was an I’ve missed this this sort of thing type of laugh as he was getting grief.

Irish_Steve
15-08-2021, 03:43 PM
Obviously we’ll not hear anything about it again but I’d love to hear his explanation of why he stopped the game. As for him laughing, I’m guessing it was an I’ve missed this this sort of thing type of laugh as he was getting grief.

He did it twice, as in “look at me, I’m the mutts nuts”

Hibs90
15-08-2021, 03:45 PM
First week of the season he doesn't book his mate Halliday for an obvious yellow card and now that today.

If that's not blatant cheating and corruption then I don't know what is.

He's at it. Hibs should be making noise about that today.

hibsdaft
15-08-2021, 03:45 PM
Only explanation for me is he blows for the foul then realises he's made mistake but can't undo it (other than to give the drop ball to give us possession back). Presumably the lineman confirms he made a mistake.

Brightside
15-08-2021, 03:47 PM
I want to hear what he said to jack to explain it.

Irish_Steve
15-08-2021, 03:47 PM
First week of the season he doesn't book his mate Halliday for an obvious yellow card and now that today.

If that's not blatant cheating and corruption then I don't know what is.

He's at it. Hibs should be making noise about that today.

The blazers would then make sure that Madden referees our next game if we complain

Irish_Steve
15-08-2021, 03:50 PM
Only explanation for me is he blows for the foul then realises he's made mistake but can't undo it (other than to give the drop ball to give us possession back). Presumably the lineman confirms he made a mistake.

But it was so obvious that the Killie player pulled up with a hamstring injury. Kyle was actually a couple of paces behind but picked up the loose ball. He may not have scored but that’s not the point. It wasn’t a head injury so no need to blow to stop play.

I wonder what the bloke who markts the referees thinks of that decision

tamig
15-08-2021, 04:00 PM
This could be a dangerous precedent. What’s to stop any defender “pulling up” now once he’s skinned by an attacker in the box or when through on goal? Dodgy territory.

lord bunberry
15-08-2021, 04:07 PM
This could be a dangerous precedent. What’s to stop any defender “pulling up” now once he’s skinned by an attacker in the box or when through on goal? Dodgy territory.
That’s 100% what I was thinking. It looked to me like he thought hibs were unsportsmanlike by playing on when the guy went down injured. As you say it sets a dangerous precedent as any player could just go down and pretend to be injured.

Brightside
15-08-2021, 04:09 PM

Exactly what Porto said to him

Pretty Boy
15-08-2021, 04:11 PM
I get why refs don't speak to the media after a game but why don't their match reports get published retrospectively?

It wouldn't explain every decision but it would help people understand why the referee last week didn't send of that Ross County player for the tackle on Murphy for example.

The biggest problem is that many fans view refs as totally unaccountable. Many have an appalling attitude towards players, at all levels and that treatment is reciprocated. Likewise I always found the refs who spoke to you explained things and even occasionally admitted they had made a mistake where the ones who got the most respect from players, again at all levels.

O'Rourke3
15-08-2021, 04:11 PM
I thought he was awful. Behaving like he is the best ref in the land so he was determined to do it his way. The tackle from the Killie 7 was a booking all day. TGives him a talking to and then then let him foul 5 or 6 times. It was the crowd that eventually got the booking. The kick on McGennis was unbelievable. Wagging finger. Be interesting to see why he stopped the game. Went down clutching his leg so not a life threatening injury.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

hibee_girl
15-08-2021, 04:16 PM
The Hibs boss also revealed he had been given an explanation of the incident in which referee Bobby Madden had blown up after Kilmarnock captain Chris Stokes suffered a hamstring injury, with Magennis poised to take advantage of the situation.

“Bobby felt their player was in control of the ball and went down injured. For me that’s never been the case, but the referee has the discretion to stop the game at any time,” Ross said afterwards.

“Bobby always takes time to explain his decisions – it doesn’t mean I agree with it. Thankfully it had no bearing on the game but at that moment I was mildly frustrated to say the least.

“It’s not something that happens very often in matches and I’d like to see if it’s repeated with other officials throughout the season.”

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/jack-ross-hails-kyle-magennis-impact-and-kevin-nisbet-performance-as-he-steps-up-hibs-striker-hunt-3347180

Hibernian Verse
15-08-2021, 04:18 PM
Magennis stopped anyway, he knew the boy was in distress. If it was a Hibs player we would all want it stopped.

wookie70

I don't think it was but Madden dropped it there so he could legitimately give it to their keeper. I wanted Magennis to kick the ball out, the defender had the ball covered when his hamstring went. The referee denied us the chance to do the sporting thing and had no reason to stop play. Shocking refereeing which was on display much of the match

BoomtownHibees
Magennis stopped anyway, he knew the boy was in distress. If it was a Hibs player we would all want it stopped.

No chance!! Magennis didn’t stop until the whistle went either

Hibernian Verse
15-08-2021, 04:19 PM
No chance!! Magennis didn’t stop until the whistle went either

He looked up as if he didn’t know what to do and went to stop

lord bunberry
15-08-2021, 04:20 PM
If Daz had went down holding his hamstring on Thursday after he made his mistake, would the ref have stopped the game? I’m going to say no.

B.H.F.C
15-08-2021, 04:20 PM
I don't think it was but Madden dropped it there so he could legitimately give it to their keeper. I wanted Magennis to kick the ball out, the defender had the ball covered when his hamstring went. The referee denied us the chance to do the sporting thing and had no reason to stop play. Shocking refereeing which was on display much of the match

No danger Hibs would have stopped there and neither they should.

Was a shocking bit of refereeing.

JimBHibees
15-08-2021, 04:29 PM
No way on earth he would have the bottle to do that at Parkhead or Ibrox. Just making up the rules as he goes on. Could easily have swung the game against us. Absolutely incredible decision honestly never seen anything like that in my life. As said above what stops a defender making a mistake then pulling up as if injured. Very arrogant decision as was his reaction. Really struggle with his giving cloggers another kick. Both McKenzie and especially Robinson committed clearly bookable fouls unfortunately his trying to be mates with the players only helps teams who foul a lot.

Pretty Boy
15-08-2021, 04:32 PM
See if Magennis had stopped himself, I'd have applauded him for his sportsmanship. I know that is easy to say in hindsight when the game has been won but I like players doing things like that.

Equally though the ref shouldn't be stopping the game in such a situation. If Magennis goes on and rattles it home then you take it every day of the week.

Brightside
15-08-2021, 04:35 PM

No he didn’t. 😂

MWHIBBIES
15-08-2021, 04:40 PM

Nope. I'd be frustrated to lose a goal like that, but no chance would I think it should be stopped.

https://youtu.be/BaYYVrArMI4?t=54

Example there from an english match. at 54 seconds or so.

Sir David Gray
15-08-2021, 04:47 PM
He should be stripped of his licence after that today, utterly disgraceful and the wee laughs he gave to the fans in the East stand were wholly unprofessional.

Never witnessed anything like it - absolute prick. His card's been marked for his next match involving us.

greenlex
15-08-2021, 05:01 PM
No he didn’t. 😂
I thought he did too. Don’t know how others didn’t see that.

greenlex
15-08-2021, 05:02 PM
He looked up as if he didn’t know what to do and went to stop
Yup. Spot on.

Sir David Gray
15-08-2021, 05:02 PM

Nah he didn't, he was about to finish his run and then shoot (and then presumably score).

greenlex
15-08-2021, 05:04 PM
Nah he didn't, he was about to finish his run and then shoot (and then presumably score).
Seriously? Ok he didn’t actually stop but he definitely hesitated and slowed down.

BoomtownHibees
15-08-2021, 05:06 PM
Seriously? Ok he didn’t actually stop but he definitely hesitated and slowed down.

I didn’t see that either tbf. The way he reacted when it did get stopped tells me he wasn’t too happy about it

poolman
15-08-2021, 05:07 PM
I get why refs don't speak to the media after a game but why don't their match reports get published retrospectively?

It wouldn't explain every decision but it would help people understand why the referee last week didn't send of that Ross County player for the tackle on Murphy for example.

The biggest problem is that many fans view refs as totally unaccountable. Many have an appalling attitude towards players, at all levels and that treatment is reciprocated. Likewise I always found the refs who spoke to you explained things and even occasionally admitted they had made a mistake where the ones who got the most respect from players, again at all levels.

Honestly, I don't think the powers that be would allow as they would just put themselves more in the doo-da
They really mollycoddle the refs

hibee-boys
15-08-2021, 05:09 PM
In 30 years of attending football games I’ve never seen anything like it, nor an official go out of his way to incite fans by staring and laughing at the crowd…..twice. I’m a fairly chilled middle aged man but I blew a gasket, unbelievable behaviour by a professional official. New defensive strategy for games going forward, feel under pressure in any 1 on 1 attack, go down with an injury and the referee will stop play🤷🏼😂

Brightside
15-08-2021, 05:11 PM
I thought he did too. Don’t know how others didn’t see that.

Only after the ref blew the whistle. He was raging!!

Sir David Gray
15-08-2021, 05:11 PM

Yes seriously, I'm saying he didn't stop which is what the poster I replied to was claiming and you're now agreeing with. :confused:

Caversham Green
15-08-2021, 05:24 PM
Just a thought - after the Christian Eriksen incident, are refs now more sensitive to players going down without being tackled?

Having said that, Madden's attitude towards the fans is unforgiveable.

BoomtownHibees
15-08-2021, 05:25 PM
Just a thought - after the Christian Eriksen incident, are refs now more sensitive to players going down without being tackled?

Having said that, Madden's attitude towards the fans is unforgiveable.

Guy went down holding his hamstring

Caversham Green
15-08-2021, 05:30 PM
Guy went down holding his hamstring

Yes, but what the ref saw was maybe just the guy going down in a heap - remember he just gets one look at it and has to make an instant decision.

As I said, it's just a thought to explain an otherwise inexplicable decision.

BoomtownHibees
15-08-2021, 05:34 PM
Yes, but what the ref saw was maybe just the guy going down in a heap - remember he just gets one look at it and has to make an instant decision.

I’d be shocked if Madden stopped the game in case the guy went down for anything more serious than a sore leg

Sir David Gray
15-08-2021, 05:35 PM

I'd need to see it back but from memory the guy held his hamstring and started hobbling and then Madden stopped the game before the guy had even gone to ground.

gaz1875
15-08-2021, 05:35 PM
[QUOTE=BoomtownHibeys;6657981]Magennis nicked the ball off the defender. Said defender goes down clutching his hammy. Madden stops the game and drops the ball for the goalie. Fair play to the keeper for punting then ball right down the other end of the park

It was Tommy Wright that told the keeper to give the ball back to us, I don't think the keeper had any intention to do it.

blackpoolhibs
15-08-2021, 05:36 PM
McGennis should have booted the ball into albion Rd the next time he got the ball just to show that baldy tit how angry we were.

tamig
15-08-2021, 05:48 PM
He should be stripped of his licence after that today, utterly disgraceful and the wee laughs he gave to the fans in the East stand were wholly unprofessional.

Never witnessed anything like it - absolute prick. His card's been marked for his next match involving us.

Is a ref not allowed to have a laugh then? Folk always accuse them of aloofness - can’t have it all ways. Stripped of his licence? You’re being a wee bit OTT 😂

Langlee Hibs
15-08-2021, 05:53 PM
Is a ref not allowed to have a laugh then? Folk always accuse them of aloofness - can’t have it all ways. Stripped of his licence? You’re being a wee bit OTT [emoji23]

What did he have to laugh about? He got it stupendously wrong. He knew it, we knew it. He should have been keeping his head down not goading fans which is what he was doing!

Sir David Gray
15-08-2021, 06:34 PM
Is a ref not allowed to have a laugh then? Folk always accuse them of aloofness - can’t have it all ways. Stripped of his licence? You’re being a wee bit OTT 😂

Perhaps a bit OTT with being stripped of his licence but he wasn't "having a laugh", there was no-one else laughing.

What he did today was at best applying a rule that referees never apply in those circumstances and at worst he was making up the rules.

Either way he annoyed an awful lot of people today and laughing at them was extremely unprofessional in my opinion.

PH91
15-08-2021, 06:46 PM
Imo stopping and not scoring was the right decision in terms of sportsmanship as magennis wasn't getting the ball if the defender didn't pull up.

Surely it should have been Hibs decision to make, though? Would be interested to see the rule about when refs can stop the game.

Eyrie
15-08-2021, 06:53 PM
1 - I thought Magennis was getting the ball before their defender pulled up.
2 - I don't think Madden would have stopped play unless he thought it was serious, but what would he have done if their player had been fit to continue?
3 - I'd like to know if there is a rule that says the game should be stopped in that situation.
4 - No issue with Madden reacting to the crowd booing him. If fans want to give it, then they can take it back.
5 - Can understand why it wasn't a contested drop ball in the box.
6 - Don't think the Kilmarnock players wanted to give us the ball back, but Wright was going mental on the touchline to make sure they did.
7 - Madden did explain his decision to Ross, which not all referees would do (eg Clancy).
8 - He still got the decision wrong and cost us a goal.

And a bonus complaint - why wasn't Robinson booked for sliding into the back of McGinn with the ball a couple of yards away?

franks
15-08-2021, 06:57 PM

Best explanation I've heard as he did appear to give Killie a foul initially.

LaMotta
15-08-2021, 07:02 PM

:agree: People need to lighten up a bit. Madden got that wrong but he is a good ref and a good guy. Popular with players and managers.

Sir David Gray
15-08-2021, 07:03 PM
Imo stopping and not scoring was the right decision in terms of sportsmanship as magennis wasn't getting the ball if the defender didn't pull up.

Surely it should have been Hibs decision to make, though? Would be interested to see the rule about when refs can stop the game.

I believe the rule is that the referee should only stop the game in the event of a serious injury - a tight hamstring is not a serious injury.

If a player is "slightly injured" the referee should allow play to continue until the ball is out of play.

In today's scenario the onus was on Hibs to make the decision. Obviously the sporting thing to do would have been to knock it out of play but it wasn't Madden's call to make when it was so obvious the Kilmarnock player was not seriously injured.

LaMotta
15-08-2021, 07:03 PM

That's what I thought too.

JimBHibees
15-08-2021, 07:11 PM
:agree: People need to lighten up a bit. Madden got that wrong but he is a good ref and a good guy. Popular with players and managers.

Not sure happy to give him the benefit of the doubt. Tries to be popular but that doesn't make him a good ref. Ignoring clear yellow cards is unfair on the team fouled against. Also can't really forget he was the official behind the goal in the Scottish cup Semi who didn't give us a blatant penalty in injury time. The decision today was absolutely ridiculous and was him making it up. Not for him to stop the game unless serious head knock.

hibbysam
15-08-2021, 07:12 PM
1 - I thought Magennis was getting the ball before their defender pulled up.
2 - I don't think Madden would have stopped play unless he thought it was serious, but what would he have done if their player had been fit to continue?
3 - I'd like to know if there is a rule that says the game should be stopped in that situation.
4 - No issue with Madden reacting to the crowd booing him. If fans want to give it, then they can take it back.
5 - Can understand why it wasn't a contested drop ball in the box.
6 - Don't think the Kilmarnock players wanted to give us the ball back, but Wright was going mental on the touchline to make sure they did.
7 - Madden did explain his decision to Ross, which not all referees would do (eg Clancy).
8 - He still got the decision wrong and cost us a goal.

And a bonus complaint - why wasn't Robinson booked for sliding into the back of McGinn with the ball a couple of yards away?

On 3 - there is no rule for it, just guidance for the ref to stop the game if he believes it’s a serious injury.

5 - contested drop balls are a thing of the past thankfully. Uncontested only now.

On the last point it was a terrible challenge. Madden seems to be having a habit of letting them go for some reason. Someone will get hurt eventually though.

JimBHibees
15-08-2021, 07:14 PM
On 3 - there is no rule for it, just guidance for the ref to stop the game if he believes it’s a serious injury.

5 - contested drop balls are a thing of the past thankfully. Uncontested only now.

On the last point it was a terrible challenge. Madden seems to be having a habit of letting them go for some reason. Someone will get hurt eventually though.

That is the problem the fouler doesn't get punished and actually gives him another bad foul before he gets booked. Absolutely ridiculous that wasn't punshed.

Eyrie
15-08-2021, 07:15 PM
I believe the rule is that the referee should only stop the game in the event of a serious injury - a tight hamstring is not a serious injury.

If a player is "slightly injured" the referee should allow play to continue until the ball is out of play.

In today's scenario the onus was on Hibs to make the decision. Obviously the sporting thing to do would have been to knock it out of play but it wasn't Madden's call to make when it was so obvious the Kilmarnock player was not seriously injured.

If that was the rule that Madden was using, then I don't think there was enough evidence for him to stop the game just because the Kilmarnock defender pulls up and starts limping. The player only went down after the whistle was blown.

Given how slowly Stokes was moving as he was helped back to the bench, then he may have torn the hamstring, but that's not something Madden could have known at the time.

Northernhibee
15-08-2021, 07:31 PM
What I will say is that I respect him completely for explaining his decision to Jack Ross at the end, even if I don't agree with it. Guaranteed if that's someone like Willie Collum he's having none of it.

LaMotta
15-08-2021, 07:32 PM
Not sure happy to give him the benefit of the doubt. Tries to be popular but that doesn't make him a good ref. Ignoring clear yellow cards is unfair on the team fouled against. Also can't really forget he was the official behind the goal in the Scottish cup Semi who didn't give us a blatant penalty in injury time. The decision today was absolutely ridiculous and was him making it up. Not for him to stop the game unless serious head knock.

Nothing will make anyone a good ref in some peoples eyes. :greengrin

He's still one of our best though I would suggest.

The_Sauz
15-08-2021, 07:34 PM
The rules state that an opposition player only need's to kick the ball out of play when a player has a head injury (9/10 a ref will stop play right away) :agree:
This crap when players fake's an injury because they got touched, is making the game a joke and not worth the money to watch it! I don't know how many time's I have seen a player kick the ball out when he thinks a player has got a bad injury, only to see the player get up without any treatment!

CentreLine
15-08-2021, 07:35 PM
What I will say is that I respect him completely for explaining his decision to Jack Ross at the end, even if I don't agree with it. Guaranteed if that's someone like Willie Collum he's having none of it.

I suspect he blew up for a foul but then realised his error and made up a plausible reason. Just my opinion.

hibbysam
15-08-2021, 07:36 PM
The rules state that an opposition player only need's to kick the ball out of play when a player has a head injury (9/10 a ref will stop play right away) :agree:
This crap when players fake's an injury because they got touched, is making the game a joke and not worth the money to watch it! I don't know how many time's I have seen a player kick the ball out when he thinks a player has got a bad injury, only to see the player get up without any treatment!

I don’t think there was any doubt that today’s injury wasn’t feigned.

INJURIES
allows play to continue until the ball is out of play if a player is only slightly injured
stops play if a player is seriously injured and ensures that the player is removed from the field of play. An injured player may not be treated on the field of play and may only re-enter after play has restarted; if the ball is in play, re-entry must be from the touchline but if the ball is out of play, it may be from any boundary line. Exceptions to the requirement to leave the field of play are only when:
a goalkeeper is injured
a goalkeeper and an outfield player have collided and need attention
players from the same team have collided and need attention
a severe injury has occurred
a player is injured as the result of a physical offence for which the opponent is cautioned or sent off (e.g. reckless or serious foul challenge), if the assessment/treatment is completed quickly
a penalty kick has been awarded and the injured player will be the kicker
ensures that any player bleeding leaves the field of play. The player may only re-enter on receiving a signal from the referee, who must be satisfied that the bleeding has stopped and there is no blood on the equipment
if the referee has authorised the doctors and /or stretcher bearers to enter the field of play, the player must leave on a stretcher or on foot. A player who does not comply, must be cautioned for unsporting behaviour
if the referee has decided to caution or send off a player who is injured and has to leave the field of play for treatment, the card must be shown before the player leaves
if play has not been stopped for another reason, or if an injury suffered by a player is not the result of an offence, play is restarted with a dropped ball

JimBHibees
15-08-2021, 07:40 PM
Nothing will make anyone a good ref in some peoples eyes. :greengrin

He's still one of our best though I would suggest.

Generally like the way he interacts with players and likes to let the game flow definitely don't like his lenient approach to very poor tackles (Robinson today two foot through the back of McGinn/Halliday ion McGregor) which suits clogger teams such as Hearts/Aberdeen.

LaMotta
15-08-2021, 07:42 PM
Generally like the way he interacts with players and likes to let the game flow definitely don't like his lenient approach to very poor tackles (Robinson today two foot through the back of McGinn/Halliday ion McGregor) which suits clogger teams such as Hearts/Aberdeen.

Fair points. Steven McLean is also ok but also far too lenient - let Aberdeen away with murder a few times at ER.

B.H.F.C
15-08-2021, 07:43 PM
I suspect he blew up for a foul but then realised his error and made up a plausible reason. Just my opinion.

He definitely didn’t give a foul.

wookie70
15-08-2021, 07:49 PM

I was a long way from the Robinson challenge but it looked a certain red to me. The only thing I could think of was Robinson tried to put the brakes on and lost his feet on the turf. If that isn't the case no idea how he stayed on the park

wookie70
15-08-2021, 07:53 PM
If only Dave Beaumont had pulled up with a hamstring when Wayne Foster went through. I'm certain the ref would have stopped play

JimBHibees
15-08-2021, 07:53 PM
Fair points. Steven McLean is also ok but also far too lenient - let Aberdeen away with murder a few times at ER.

Agree some of the McLean performances against Aberdeen was criminal.

hibbysam
15-08-2021, 07:54 PM
I was a long way from the Robinson challenge but it looked a certain red to me. The only thing I could think of was Robinson tried to put the brakes on and lost his feet on the turf. If that isn't the case no idea how he stayed on the park

That may have been the case, but it was at least the most blatant yellow you’ll ever see.

wookie70
15-08-2021, 08:01 PM
That may have been the case, but it was at least the most blatant yellow you’ll ever see. Agreed, their number 7 took an eternity to get booked and I think the reaction of the West stand to his 4th or 5th foul actually made Madden get the card out. His first could could easily have been a booking on its own. To be fair Newell had a good number of fouls today and escape a card. I think refereeing needs looked at particularly in Scotland. They need to be far harsher on the way teams share fouls around to break up play and deliberately take players out when there is danger. I'd love to see some innovation like Rugby where a yellow for a deliberate foul to stop a break etc means losing a man and maybe the other team getting a free substitution to allow another attacker on.

hibbysam
15-08-2021, 08:10 PM
Agreed, their number 7 took an eternity to get booked and I think the reaction of the West stand to his 4th or 5th foul actually made Madden get the card out. His first could could easily have been a booking on its own. To be fair Newell had a good number of fouls today and escape a card. I think refereeing needs looked at particularly in Scotland. They need to be far harsher on the way teams share fouls around to break up play and deliberately take players out when there is danger. I'd love to see some innovation like Rugby where a yellow for a deliberate foul to stop a break etc means losing a man and maybe the other team getting a free substitution to allow another attacker on.

Don’t even think it’s just in Scotland. Watched Dele Alli try and scythe down a city player in the last minute tonight, had he made contact it was a broken leg or ankle, ref turned a blind eye and never even spoke to him.

If you kick someone when you have absolutely no chance of winning the ball and your only possibility is to stop them then it should be violent conduct. At that point it’s just a kick and not a tackle.

wookie70
15-08-2021, 08:24 PM
Don’t even think it’s just in Scotland. Watched Dele Alli try and scythe down a city player in the last minute tonight, had he made contact it was a broken leg or ankle, ref turned a blind eye and never even spoke to him.

If you kick someone when you have absolutely no chance of winning the ball and your only possibility is to stop them then it should be violent conduct. At that point it’s just a kick and not a tackle.

Agreed but it would be a start getting them yellow carded. McGinn against St Johnstone was a great example. The ball must have been 3 yards away when he was scythed down. There are so many though and it ruins the game and makes teams that play anti football so much more effective. We are certainly a bit more street wise under Ross but with some teams I actually think it is organised thuggery. Team fouls like basketball might not be a bad idea

dp00
16-08-2021, 06:15 AM
Generally don’t mind madden, always baffles me when folk moan about his smiling or what ever to the crowd, guys prob listening to however many folk have a go at him

Pretty sure he has said numerous times he would love to be able to come out and give interviews after the March and justify decisions etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shrekko
16-08-2021, 08:11 AM
Generally don’t mind madden, always baffles me when folk moan about his smiling or what ever to the crowd, guys prob listening to however many folk have a go at him

Pretty sure he has said numerous times he would love to be able to come out and give interviews after the March and justify decisions etc

That wasn't the right time to try and wind up the crowd.

He's made a decision that could potentially have cost us a cup tie - one that he'll know himself was basically ludicrous.

Imagine we end up going out, instead of being 1 game away from a lucrative semi final? He could be costing the club a six figure sum.

Partyraiser
16-08-2021, 08:16 AM

I dont know where you get the idea that he's a good guy from. Any time ive heard him speak he's come across as a complete prick, and he's a polis. Nothing good about him imo

Tarrahib
16-08-2021, 08:22 AM
I dont know where you get the idea that he's a good guy from. Any time ive heard him speak he's come across as a complete prick, and he's a polis. Nothing good about him imo
What’s wrong with the polis?

ian cruise
16-08-2021, 08:28 AM
What’s wrong with the polis?

Definitely a discussion for you guys to have on the Holy Ground.

AlbertK86
16-08-2021, 08:42 AM

Pretty sure he isn’t in the polis

Since452
16-08-2021, 09:01 AM
How dare Madden smile at us while we're all shouting and screaming everything under the sun at him. I'm bemused at his refereeing decision but his reaction doesn't bother me at all.

Crunchie
16-08-2021, 09:04 AM
:top marks

Oscar T Grouch
16-08-2021, 09:17 AM
To be fair to Madden. His reaction toward the crowd was probably in regards to some of the abuse getting thrown at him about his decision. Some really ugly stuff and some funny stuff too, I found myself chuckling at some of it so maybe he was doing the same?

MWHIBBIES
16-08-2021, 09:32 AM
Not really bothered by him laughing, but it's rarely my reaction when I make a monumental cock up at work.

JXM73
16-08-2021, 09:46 AM
Memory might be not what it was but I'm sure there was a pretty important goal scored, may have been hibs or scotland, where defender went down holding knee game continued and goal scored... if its from 30 years ago then maybe memory's not that bad lol

madden made an arse of it and hibs should not have stopped or put ball out... fitness or lack of is part of the game...

JimBHibees
16-08-2021, 10:08 AM
That wasn't the right time to try and wind up the crowd.

He's made a decision that could potentially have cost us a cup tie - one that he'll know himself was basically ludicrous.

Imagine we end up going out, instead of being 1 game away from a lucrative semi final? He could be costing the club a six figure sum.

Exactly where I am at he thought it was ok to make a baffling decision which could easily have ended with us being knocked out the cup. I wish he had given an interview explaining the decision as the first question should have been do you think you have made the same decision at either of the OF stadiums against the home team? If the answer is no he shouldn't have thought it ok to do it to Hibs.

EdinMike
16-08-2021, 10:31 AM
The simple idea would be to mic the refs like in rugby but footballers *and probably most refs* can’t be trusted to not use naughty words 🤷 A mistake, a dumb one, however thankfully it didn’t cost us.

I’m a generally blasé person though so maybe not the best person to ask !

StevieC
16-08-2021, 11:06 AM
I’m going to go against the grain and say it was the correct decision .. even if that was just morally, rather than by the rule book.

IMO, from my view in West Upper in line with the incident, the defender had reached the ball first and was “in control” of the ball. In that area it’s highly unlikely to be anything other than ushered out for a goal kick or booted out for a throw in. The player pulled up with what was clearly a serious injury and staggered past the ball before going to ground. Magennis understandably latched onto the loose ball and headed for goal, but I’d have wanted to see him do the sporting gesture of putting it out when he realised it wasn’t just a stumble from the player. The ref blew first though, which I think he’s entitled to do for a serious injury, so we’ll never know if Magennis would have stopped or carried on and had a shot at goal.
Drop ball to keeper was right decision as ball was in the box when ref blew. Giving it back to Hibs was also the right decision, even if it took his manager to tell him that.

Ref smiling at the crowd under a torrent of abuse? Don’t think I’ll waste my time with a comment on that.

Skol
16-08-2021, 11:53 AM
I kind of felt that although it was frustrating and wrong, it was also the sporting decision to be made.

I remember the game when Bobby Thomson for a 6 month ban for shoving the linesman. Arthur Duncan was poleaxed and unconscious. Not only did the game play on, the unconscious Duncan was deemed to have played a St Johnston player onside when they scored

Kato
16-08-2021, 11:54 AM
I kind of felt that although it was frustrating and wrong, it was also the sporting decision to be made.

I remember the game when Bobby Thomson for a 6 month ban for shoving the linesman. Arthur Duncan was poleaxed and unconscious. Not only did the game play on, the unconscious Duncan was deemed to have played a St Johnston player onside when they scoredOr when Goram swallowed his tongue at Ibrox and Mickey Weir was sent off for complaint after Rangers scored.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Skol
16-08-2021, 12:30 PM
Or when Goram swallowed his tongue at Ibrox and Mickey Weir was sent off for complaint after Rangers scored.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Or Ulrik Laursen getting sent off for deliberate handball when he was just pushing himself up off the ground as a hun (ricksen?) booted the ball from point blank range into his hand

Zondervan
16-08-2021, 02:07 PM
I’m going to go against the grain and say it was the correct decision .. even if that was just morally, rather than by the rule book.

IMO, from my view in West Upper in line with the incident, the defender had reached the ball first and was “in control” of the ball. In that area it’s highly unlikely to be anything other than ushered out for a goal kick or booted out for a throw in. The player pulled up with what was clearly a serious injury and staggered past the ball before going to ground. Magennis understandably latched onto the loose ball and headed for goal, but I’d have wanted to see him do the sporting gesture of putting it out when he realised it wasn’t just a stumble from the player. The ref blew first though, which I think he’s entitled to do for a serious injury, so we’ll never know if Magennis would have stopped or carried on and had a shot at goal.
Drop ball to keeper was right decision as ball was in the box when ref blew. Giving it back to Hibs was also the right decision, even if it took his manager to tell him that.

Ref smiling at the crowd under a torrent of abuse? Don’t think I’ll waste my time with a comment on that.

I had more or less the same view as you and, with hindsight, it was the correct outcome for the reasons you say above.

I just don’t think anyone had seen this happen before, hence the initial anger and confusion displayed from most of the crowd at the time!

Billy Whizz
16-08-2021, 02:10 PM
I had more or less the same view as you and, with hindsight, it was the correct outcome for the reasons you say above.

I just don’t think anyone had seen this happen before, hence the initial anger and confusion displayed from most of the crowd at the time!

As fans we don’t know all the rules sadly, which doesn’t always help out understanding
I’d have thought a serious injury would be a leg break or a bad head knock, not a Hamstring pull

CentreLine
16-08-2021, 02:21 PM
Agree some of the McLean performances against Aberdeen was criminal.

Stop that. He was the referee 21/05/2016 and therefore a legend 😉

ian cruise
16-08-2021, 02:22 PM
As fans we don’t know all the rules sadly, which doesn’t always help out understanding
I’d have thought a serious injury would be a leg break or a bad head knock, not a Hamstring pull

Someone else raised the point on this thread about referee's reports being made visible, or referees giving a run through of decisions after a game and I have to agree it would in the main be beneficial.

As you say, fans don't know the rules, having that insight can surely only help? I think as long as clubs accepted refs made mistakes and we didn't go down the route of looking for decisions to be overturned every time they admitted it (for example the referee saying "at the time I thought it was a foul but watching it back a few times after the game I see I got it wrong") would be a negative either, I actually think it would make the referee seem more human and relatable to the fans where we're very much at risk of forgetting they're actual human beings and just viewing them as something that is holding us back.

H18 SFR
16-08-2021, 02:25 PM
I’m surprised at the condemnation of folk irked by Madden’s laughing. If a police officer laughed as he was lifting folk, a tradesman laughed at messing up a job in your house or a taxi driver laughed at taking you a poor route, I think folk would also be irked. I don’t understand why it’s not ok to be annoyed or irked by Madden laughing.

One thing I would like to know is what was funny?

Sir David Gray
16-08-2021, 03:01 PM

Agreed.

I wouldn't describe a hamstring injury as serious in the sense that there's no immediate danger to the player's safety - a serious injury in this sense, to me at least, is what happened to Christian Eriksen, Alen Orman, or even to the likes of Henrik Larsson all those years ago.

It's quite likely the Kilmarnock guy will be out for a considerable amount of time and I wish him well in his recovery but time isn't of the essence with a hamstring injury which is where the line should be drawn between whether or not a referee should stop the game or not.

If Eriksen, Larsson or Orman hadn't received immediate help they could all have died, that did not apply to Chris Stokes yesterday.

MWHIBBIES
16-08-2021, 03:35 PM
On a seperate note, absolutely ridiculous the injured player had to walk off. Paramedics sitting on their arse watching him.

Skol
16-08-2021, 03:44 PM
Agreed.

I wouldn't describe a hamstring injury as serious in the sense that there's no immediate danger to the player's safety - a serious injury in this sense, to me at least, is what happened to Christian Eriksen, Alen Orman, or even to the likes of Henrik Larsson all those years ago.

It's quite likely the Kilmarnock guy will be out for a considerable amount of time and I wish him well in his recovery but time isn't of the essence with a hamstring injury which is where the line should be drawn between whether or not a referee should stop the game or not.

If Eriksen, Larsson or Orman hadn't received immediate help they could all have died, that did not apply to Chris Stokes yesterday.

Thats all fair, but at the end of the day the defender had the ball under control before he pulled up injured and Magennis appeared to be in on goal.

the sporting thing to would have been to kick the ball out, but I am not sure if magennis realised what had happened and like us all just thought he was taking advantage of a stumble.

We would have had a real case if that was a Rijecka type incident but it was pretty quickly clear the guys game was over

Ringothedog
16-08-2021, 03:52 PM
On a seperate note, absolutely ridiculous the injured player had to walk off. Paramedics sitting on their arse watching him.

That would be the choice of the Kilmarnock medic. A hamstring injury does not stop you walking. And before you ask I have had a torn hamstring from playing football and still had to go to my work

The_Sauz
16-08-2021, 03:56 PM
They can't come on the field of play unless a club doctor orders them on! :agree:

Prof. Shaggy
16-08-2021, 03:58 PM
Memory might be not what it was but I'm sure there was a pretty important goal scored, may have been hibs or scotland, where defender went down holding knee game continued and goal scored... if its from 30 years ago then maybe memory's not that bad lol

madden made an arse of it and hibs should not have stopped or put ball out... fitness or lack of is part of the game...

Kevin McBride vs the old Rangers maybe? In Yogi's time. I can't remember if it was the same game that Boyd thumped Zemmama.

MWHIBBIES
16-08-2021, 03:58 PM
They can't come on the field of play unless a club doctor orders them on! :agree:

Absolutely incredible decision then. Didn't know that was the case. The bloke should clearly have been strechered to the changing room at least. Took him ages to get there with the help of 2 others.

Sir David Gray
16-08-2021, 04:12 PM
Thats all fair, but at the end of the day the defender had the ball under control before he pulled up injured and Magennis appeared to be in on goal.

the sporting thing to would have been to kick the ball out, but I am not sure if magennis realised what had happened and like us all just thought he was taking advantage of a stumble.

We would have had a real case if that was a Rijecka type incident but it was pretty quickly clear the guys game was over

I don't dispute that the sporting thing to do would have been to knock the ball out of play but that was Hibs' decision to make and if we had decided to continue and knock the ball into the net then we would have needed to take the flak which would have inevitably come our way.

I don't agree a referee should be getting involved in such a scenerio.

The_Sauz
16-08-2021, 04:20 PM
Absolutely incredible decision then. Didn't know that was the case. The bloke should clearly have been strechered to the changing room at least. Took him ages to get there with the help of 2 others.
I think you will find that player's very seldom like to be taken off on a stretcher!

hibbysam
16-08-2021, 04:37 PM
I’m surprised at the condemnation of folk irked by Madden’s laughing. If a police officer laughed as he was lifting folk, a tradesman laughed at messing up a job in your house or a taxi driver laughed at taking you a poor route, I think folk would also be irked. I don’t understand why it’s not ok to be annoyed or irked by Madden laughing.

One thing I would like to know is what was funny?

Depends on what insults he was taking. Sure a tradesman that made an arse of your job would offer to rectify it. Madden probably doesn’t think he made a mistake and going by the rules was right, yet would’ve been taking dogs abuse and is entitled to laugh about it. It’s not life/death. Same folk complaining about that probably scream ‘officer’ when a player who’s been abused for 90 minutes celebrates in front of them.

MWHIBBIES
16-08-2021, 04:38 PM
I think you will find that player's very seldom like to be taken off on a stretcher!

Surely they prefer it to potentially making an injury worse?

I'm not sure the player should have a say. He isn't qualified to manage his injuries, the doctors are. Which makes me think they are probably right and I'm wrong for the same reason. Just seemed very strange. Wouldn't be very happy if a Hibs player walked off with a bad injury when a strecher was available.

wookie70
16-08-2021, 04:54 PM

I agree with most of that but when the Killie player pulled up the ball was outside the box.(just watched a repeat) When Madden blew it was inside the box but presumably he was blowing because of a "serious injury" and that would be at the point he pulled up. It was the most obvious hamstring injury you will see and that is in no way serious in terms of the players health. It was a shocking decision and I was wanting, like you, for Magennis to kick it out,

LaMotta
16-08-2021, 05:15 PM

He works for a Whisky bottling plant, not even close to being Polis. Bit weird to be making stuff like that up to back up your opinion of him being a "complete prick".

I can't believe anyone who has watched his open goal interview with Si Ferry would describe him as a complete prick. :cb

flash
16-08-2021, 06:02 PM
Pretty sure he isn’t in the polis

Maybe the poster meant he's Polish. Which he isn't either.

tamig
16-08-2021, 06:50 PM

The Laws of the Game have moved on a bit in the last 30 years or so. Plenty stuff you could do then that you can't do now.

Someone quoted a page or two back the action a ref could take when faced with an injury on the pitch. Madden's actions yesterday didn't contravene anything in that list.

Hibee Ryan
16-08-2021, 07:03 PM
Does anyone have a video of the incident? I'd like to refresh my memory on it. At the time I was fuming but thinking back I appreciate while it isn't his place to make the call to stop the game in those circumstances but I'd have felt a bit dirty if Magennis had scored off the back of it so it probably ended in the right result in fairness.

hibbysam
16-08-2021, 07:09 PM
Does anyone have a video of the incident? I'd like to refresh my memory on it. At the time I was fuming but thinking back I appreciate while it isn't his place to make the call to stop the game in those circumstances but I'd have felt a bit dirty if Magennis had scored off the back of it so it probably ended in the right result in fairness.

It’s on HibsTv, full match. Looking back at it the boys getting the ball and is done by his hammy. Magennis is clearly stopping as the whistle goes. Others may not like it but it’s absolutely the right thing to do there and fair play to Wright giving us possession as well.