PDA

View Full Version : Old Firm colts

BegbieHSC
14-08-2021, 09:57 PM
I see the Hun B team beat Gretna 9-1, and Celtc B beat Vale of Leithen 10-0 today.

It’s a sham they were allowed into the Lowland league, which they’re inevitably going to win, one after the other.

Who exactly is there presence benefitting? Apart from increasing their stranglehold on the Scottish game.

B.H.F.C
14-08-2021, 10:07 PM
Don’t think they’ll inevitably win it. They’ve both already lost games.

The teams they beat today are both terrible. Watched Bonnyrigg score 6 against Gretna a couple of weeks ago and it could have been 16. The difference in standard from the teams at the bottom of that league to the top of the league is big. Really big. Think Vale we’re struggling to even get a team together today.

hibbysam
14-08-2021, 10:18 PM
Don’t think they’ll inevitably win it. They’ve both already lost games.

The teams they beat today are both terrible. Watched Bonnyrigg score 6 against Gretna a couple of weeks ago and it could have been 16. The difference in standard from the teams at the bottom of that league to the top of the league is big. Really big. Think Vale we’re struggling to even get a team together today.

It’s great seeing all these clubs that voted them in get pumped though. There’s only 2/3 teams that they won’t beat IMO. It’s a weaker league this year than it has been in recent years due to no promotion from below. Next year will be a totally different story with top WOS sides along with Tranent/Penicuik battling to get in.

EI255
14-08-2021, 10:55 PM
I see the Hun B team beat Gretna 9-1, and Celtc B beat Vale of Leithen 10-0 today.

It’s a sham they were allowed into the Lowland league, which they’re inevitably going to win, one after the other.

Who exactly is there presence benefitting? Apart from increasing their stranglehold on the Scottish game.Sadly, around a few thousand quid each.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

AFKA5814_Hibs
14-08-2021, 11:03 PM
I know somebody that works for Spartans. They lost 2-0 to the Huns colts recently. He said their players were more concerned about the fact they were playing kids and probably didn't play as they would have done if against a normal team. Hopefully next time they just treat them like any other team.

14-08-2021, 11:30 PM
I know somebody that works for Spartans. They lost 2-0 to the Huns colts recently. He said their players were more concerned about the fact they were playing kids and probably didn't play as they would have done if against a normal team. Hopefully next time they just treat them like any other team.

Let's just hope this so called trial doesn't become permanent. Trouble is, now that they've agreed to this "trial", it will be harder to get out of it. No doubt they'll be put under pressure to continue it but hopefully the men v boys thing will give them a good enough reason to ditch it.

I'm not buying the "it's for the good of the Scottish game" and the "it will help the international side" bulls***.

AFKA5814_Hibs
14-08-2021, 11:35 PM
Let's just hope this so called trial doesn't become permanent. Trouble is, now that they've agreed to this "trial", it will be harder to get out of it. No doubt they'll be put under pressure to continue it but hopefully the men v boys thing will give them a good enough reason to ditch it.

I'm not buying the "it's for the good of the Scottish game" and the "it will help the international side" bulls***.

My mate who is involved in the club didn't agree with it. I think that's quite a popular opinion.

hibbysam
14-08-2021, 11:39 PM

It was only a trial as they expected to buy their way into League 2 for next season. That’s been binned so there will no doubt be pressure to extend the ‘trial’. International nonsense is just that, half the players don’t play for Scotland.

14-08-2021, 11:45 PM
It was only a trial as they expected to buy their way into League 2 for next season. That’s been binned so there will no doubt be pressure to extend the ‘trial’. International nonsense is just that, half the players don’t play for Scotland.

Presumably to be allowed into League 2 they need the SPFL clubs to agree to it so hopefully plenty of other clubs' fans let their own clubs know they don't want it. Shouldn't be too difficult to get the votes needed to reject it, you'd hope.

hibbysam
14-08-2021, 11:46 PM
Presumably to be allowed into League 2 they need the SPFL clubs to agree to it so hopefully plenty of other clubs' fans let their own clubs know they don't want it. Shouldn't be too difficult to get the votes needed to reject it, you'd hope.

It’s been rejected already, just a few weeks ago. Thankfully.

14-08-2021, 11:48 PM
It’s been rejected already, just a few weeks ago. Thankfully.

Didn't realise that, good.

Thanks.

hibbysam
14-08-2021, 11:50 PM
Didn't realise that, good.

Thanks.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/rangers-and-celtic-colts-proposals-for-202223-rejected-by-spfl-clubs-3306399%3Famp

15-08-2021, 12:11 AM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/rangers-and-celtic-colts-proposals-for-202223-rejected-by-spfl-clubs-3306399%3Famp

“Importantly, their paper has generated wide-ranging debate on how we improve the development of young Scottish players."

So they included stuff in their proposal about youth development for all Scottish youth players. A bit like when Budge did her reconstruction "discussion document" and included how she was going to save all of Scottish football from Covid-19.

I'm doing it for the good of the game. What's that you say? My club gets a huge benefit from the proposal? Oh gosh, so it does. I didn't even notice that.

Purple & Green
17-08-2021, 06:19 PM

Who exactly is there presence benefitting? Apart from increasing their stranglehold on the Scottish game.

Strollers at home to Celtic tonight, I wouldn’t be surprised if strollers win.

Regarding the big wins….

It’s brilliant that we now have a functioning pyramid of around 200 teams.

What’s not brilliant is how the quality is spaced out. The top four in the lowland league would probably hold their own in league 2. In fact further down the leagues, the top half dozen in the new wosfl would probably hold their own in league 2. The bottom few teams in the lowland league will probably go straight through the league below when they are relegated. Vale of Leithen are a great club but having been losing heavily for years now.

This situation isn’t going to resolve itself either as there is a lack of promotion relegation from the lowland league to tier 6. As it stands Tranent will play off with auchinleck Talbot for the right to replace VOL. without increasing the relegation places it could be years before another east region team gets promoted and it’s going to take about a decade for all the teams to find their level.

The colts proposal only got through with support from clubs like East Kilbride, Cumbernauld colts, bsc glasgow Alloa Broomhill and Caledonian Braves. None of those clubs own a ground. Clubs that have existed in the league system for less than a decade, and two of those have already changed identities in their short lives. I don’t expect them to exist in another ten years time, as they start to be replaced by the traditional junior clubs.

The colts. Well. There was clearly an agenda in play to get them into a league further up the food chain. That’s been knocked back and won’t happen. Nor will they stay in the lowland league because that league will reduce back to 16 at the end of this season. The only way to do that would be for the clubs to vote to relegate an extra two clubs. They might be greedy but they aren’t stupid.

Golden Bear
17-08-2021, 06:24 PM
Their presence has meant increased gate revenue for many of the Lowland league teams. Every cloud has a silver lining I suppose.

Greencore
17-08-2021, 06:25 PM
Would anyone accept a hibs colts team in the lowland league?

Golden Bear
17-08-2021, 06:29 PM

Hibs Colts at one time played in the East of Scotland league. In fact many moons ago I saw Peter Marinello play for Hibs colts in a match against Peebles Rovers.

JXM73
17-08-2021, 06:37 PM

If they worked their way up from bottom rung then why not...

BILLYHIBS
17-08-2021, 06:41 PM
Young Celtic guy Owen Moffat score five in a 10-0 away win over Innerleithen at the weekend

My Scout tells me he was dynamite scoring every sort of goal playing every position

Since90+2
17-08-2021, 06:43 PM
Young Celtic guy Owen Moffat score five in a 10-0 away win over Innerleithen at the weekend

My Scout tells me he was dynamite scoring every sort of goal playing every position

To be fair he is playing against a standard of team in Vale of Leithen that's probably not any higher than a decent Sunday league team at the moment.

The dalmeny
17-08-2021, 06:47 PM

can we afford another 10-15 pro contracts?

.Sean.
17-08-2021, 06:50 PM

Regarding the big wins….

What’s not brilliant is how the quality is spaced out. The top four in the lowland league would probably hold their own in league 2. In fact further down the leagues, the top half dozen in the new wosfl would probably hold their own in league 2. The bottom few teams in the lowland league will probably go straight through the league below when they are relegated. Vale of Leithen are a great club but having been losing heavily for years now.

This situation isn’t going to resolve itself either as there is a lack of promotion relegation from the lowland league to tier 6. As it stands Tranent will play off with auchinleck Talbot for the right to replace VOL. without increasing the relegation places it could be years before another east region team gets promoted and it’s going to take about a decade for all the teams to find their level.

The colts proposal only got through with support from clubs like East Kilbride, Cumbernauld colts, bsc glasgow Alloa Broomhill and Caledonian Braves. None of those clubs own a ground. Clubs that have existed in the league system for less than a decade, and two of those have already changed identities in their short lives. I don’t expect them to exist in another ten years time, as they start to be replaced by the traditional junior clubs.

The colts. Well. There was clearly an agenda in play to get them into a league further up the food chain. That’s been knocked back and won’t happen. Nor will they stay in the lowland league because that league will reduce back to 16 at the end of this season. The only way to do that would be for the clubs to vote to relegate an extra two clubs. They might be greedy but they aren’t stupid.
See the point regarding Tranent and Talbot in play off positions, do a club from the South of Scotland League not get involved in that play off too? Is that not on the same level of the pyramid as the east and west leagues? And Highland and Lowland the level above?

Green Man
17-08-2021, 06:50 PM
If they worked their way up from bottom rung then why not...

As we did when we entered the East of Scotland league. Sadly the first team’s relegation meant we withdrew.

Purple & Green
17-08-2021, 07:53 PM
See the point regarding Tranent and Talbot in play off positions, do a club from the South of Scotland League not get involved in that play off too? Is that not on the same level of the pyramid as the east and west leagues? And Highland and Lowland the level above?

Yes, there will be a south team in the play off but they are way off the standard of Tranent or Talbot so will probably lose heavily.

There’s also a play off to get in the highland league between three leagues too - but the strongest team - Lochee in the midland league - don’t have a licence so won’t be getting promoted. They would probably challenge for the highland league. Brechin lost at home to Buckie at the weekend.

Purple & Green
17-08-2021, 07:57 PM
Strollers Celtic 0-0 at ht.

And strollers don’t even have their hibs contingent yet.

nairn hibee
17-08-2021, 08:00 PM
Yes, there will be a south team in the play off but they are way off the standard of Tranent or Talbot so will probably lose heavily.

There’s also a play off to get in the highland league between three leagues too - but the strongest team - Lochee in the midland league - don’t have a licence so won’t be getting promoted. They would probably challenge for the highland league. Brechin lost at home to Buckie at the weekend.
They didn’t they drew with Rothes ,don’t think think they’ll find it easy to get back up though

Alfred E Newman
17-08-2021, 08:01 PM
Hibs Colts at one time played in the East of Scotland league. In fact many moons ago I saw Peter Marinello play for Hibs colts in a match against Peebles Rovers.

Hibs 3rd team also played in the East of Scotland League in the 1950s.

EI255
17-08-2021, 08:28 PM

Who exactly is there presence benefitting? Apart from increasing their stranglehold on the Scottish game.Berwick Rangers?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Ringothedog
17-08-2021, 08:37 PM

We used to play at Canal park, used to see them sometimes after PE at meggatland

Purple & Green
17-08-2021, 08:58 PM
They didn’t they drew with Rothes ,don’t think think they’ll find it easy to get back up though

You're right - it was last midweek when Brechin lost at home to Buckie.

Purple & Green
17-08-2021, 08:59 PM
Strollers Celtic 0-0 at ht.

And strollers don’t even have their hibs contingent yet.

Finished 1-1 Celtic took the lead in 86 minutes, strollers equalized in 91.

BILLYHIBS
17-08-2021, 09:13 PM
Yaaaasssssssss!!!!!!!

nairn hibee
17-08-2021, 09:20 PM
You're right - it was last midweek when Brechin lost at home to Buckie.
Was this a cup game ,Aberdeenshire cup or something ,they’ve played 4 league games ,won 3 and drew 1 ,hoping to watch Nairn there ,it’s in January so probably won’t happen

theonlywayisup
17-08-2021, 09:54 PM

BBC website says finished 0-1

Purple & Green
17-08-2021, 10:08 PM
Was this a cup game ,Aberdeenshire cup or something ,they’ve played 4 league games ,won 3 and drew 1 ,hoping to watch Nairn there ,it’s in January so probably won’t happen

I'm still trying to get my head around the league in which the other Nairn team are in! Yer right, it was the challenge cup.

BBC website says finished 0-1

BBC website is wrong. BBC reporting on the lowland league this season has been absolutely shambolic. Embarrassing for a national broadcaster.

They've got the Edinburgh Uni Score wrong too

hibbysam
17-08-2021, 10:26 PM

Regarding the big wins….

Not sure what the end goal looks like (I doubt anyone has actually took time to work it out yet) but the fact we have three different associations at tier 6 is ridiculous. Teams next year when they join the EOS will have to win 3 leagues (I think - moving away from conferences to a league format) to get to the LL play off (essentially starting at tier 8) whereas a team starting in the SOS will have to win 1 league (starting at tier 6). That isn’t fair and should never be the case. Until that and relegation/promotion is standardised then it’ll always be a shambles.

In the early days there should be more relegation and promotion to allow clubs to find their level but it won’t happen due to clubs happy to finish second bottom and carry on as they were.

Phil MaGlass
18-08-2021, 05:45 AM
I'm still trying to get my head around the league in which the other Nairn team are in! Yer right, it was the challenge cup.

BBC website is wrong. BBC reporting on the lowland league this season has been absolutely shambolic. Embarrassing for a national broadcaster.

They've got the Edinburgh Uni Score wrong too

bbc reporting on ANYTHING in Scotland is shambolic.

.Sean.
18-08-2021, 08:39 AM

How does the play off work with three teams, round robin?

Purple & Green
18-08-2021, 10:40 AM
How does the play off work with three teams, round robin?

If all the three teams are licenced, it will be a three way round robin from 21st May to 28th May. Just three games though, it won’t be home and away.

If it’s just two teams in the play off it would be home and away.

jgl07
19-08-2021, 02:07 AM
Hibs won the East of Scotland League Division One in 2013-14 before resigning from the league.

delbert
20-08-2021, 08:43 AM
Hibs won the East of Scotland League Division One in 2013-14 before resigning from the league.

Yeh although a big difference is that both Hibs and Hearts are fully affiliated to the East of Scotland FA and have been for decades, they didn’t buy their way in that year by bribing the other member clubs and the Association with a cash payment dressed up as some sort of benevolent action for the good of the game ! 🤮

hibbysam
20-08-2021, 12:00 PM
Yeh although a big difference is that both Hibs and Hearts are fully affiliated to the East of Scotland FA and have been for decades, they didn’t buy their in that year by bribing the other member clubs and the Association with a cash payment dressed up as some sort of benevolent action for the good of the game ! 🤮

EOS league also wasn’t part of a pyramid system that year in which we entered at a stage higher then the bottom.