PDA

View Full Version : Josh Doig

AugustaHibs
05-08-2021, 11:24 PM
We better have him starting on Sunday or £4m in the bank.

Not saying Stevenson can’t perform but he’s far better than Lewis and should be playing whilst he’s a hibs player.

Imo, he has a goal and an assist tonight.

wookie70
05-08-2021, 11:29 PM

Not saying Stevenson can’t perform but he’s far better than Lewis and should be playing whilst he’s a hibs player.

Could you give me the lottery numbers for Friday please.

lord bunberry
06-08-2021, 01:48 AM

I’m not sure about the goal and assist but he definitely should be playing. He’s our player and we need our best players starting.

Dalianwanda
06-08-2021, 02:19 AM
I think the managers in a far better position to decide what’s to be done. He’s also been quite clear on why he hasn’t been playing & that he wants things sorted pronto and that the board are if the same view.

Centre Hawf
06-08-2021, 02:50 AM
He’ll be back in for the weekend I think. Don’t think the deal for him to move is as close to happening as initially thought.

Northernhibee
06-08-2021, 05:24 AM
Stevenson was excellent at the weekend and again last night.

Since452
06-08-2021, 05:40 AM

Jack Ross said as much the other day. There'll be a resolution after last night.

EdinMike
06-08-2021, 05:41 AM

Yup. 👏

tonyrougier123
06-08-2021, 06:06 AM
Experience is invaluable and Stevenson’s game shows lots of it.doig is undoubtedly an athlete with bundles of energy and will be some player.but watching Stevenson the last two games shows exactly why he has loads to offer us both in defence and going forward,looks in the shape of his life.harder to stave of the injuries and they will impact fitness for longer in to your 30s.but for just now please can we just appreciate having a fully fit in form Lewis Stevenson hibees?

Greencore
06-08-2021, 06:13 AM

No he wasn't.

flash
06-08-2021, 06:15 AM

Thought he was decent in both games although he might easily have been sent off last night for a challenge on the West stand touchline.
If Doig stays he has to be in the team.

danhibees1875
06-08-2021, 06:16 AM
No he wasn't.

I didn't see the weekend but Lewis was great last night. My MOTM. :aok:

Since90+2
06-08-2021, 06:17 AM
Stevenson was immense in the first half last night, probably the best player on the park. I'm not sure you can necessarily say Doig would have performed better than that.

He dipped slightly in the 2nd half but overall he still played very well.

Forza Fred
06-08-2021, 06:21 AM

Mine too.

Josh is a good player, but not irreplacable
given he has only played 11 full league games for Hibs

Steve20
06-08-2021, 06:28 AM
No he wasn't.

Yes he was. He performed very well in both games.

hibbie02
06-08-2021, 06:47 AM
No he wasn't.

Sorry, is this the 5 minute argument of the full half hour?

Smartie
06-08-2021, 08:23 AM
Stevenson has had an outstanding couple of games.

I can’t believe that’s even up for debate.

It’s a shame he put in a tired cross late in the game as it appears to be only that that people are prepared to remember.

Some of the headers he won aggressively were very much a highlight for me.

calumhibee1
06-08-2021, 08:28 AM
Thought he was decent in both games although he might easily have been sent off last night for a challenge on the West stand touchline.
If Doig stays he has to be in the team.

That was a dreadful attempt at a tackle from where I was sitting

hibby rae
06-08-2021, 08:32 AM
Thought Lewie played great, some fantastic challenges.

Initially I thought it was going to be a long night for him as Rijeka seemed to be getting a lot of joy going down his side, but I think a lot of that was lack of cover for him and we got to grips with it

One reason I would play Doig is because Rijeka will probably be expecting Lewie again. Away from home, we'll probably have to do more sitting and using the counter attack. Stevenson would be more useful for the sitting but Doig for going forward.

I dunno, this is why JR gets paid to make these decisions!

hibee_girl
06-08-2021, 08:34 AM

It’s a shame he put in a tired cross late in the game as it appears to be only that that people are prepared to remember.

:agree:

He was excellent last night with next to no support from the midfield players

jeffers
06-08-2021, 08:37 AM

Agree, thought he had a really good game, bar the goal and one cross late on. As a defender he’s a better option than Doig at present, but Doig gives you a better attacking option in the main.

LaMotta
06-08-2021, 08:43 AM

Stevenson was excellent last night.

LaMotta
06-08-2021, 08:44 AM

:agree::agree::agree:

Hibs90
06-08-2021, 08:46 AM

Stevenson was excellent last night.

Agreed, especially in the first half.

Not seen him make a lung bursting run like that in ages. Was like the Lewis of old.

Bad Habits
06-08-2021, 08:54 AM
Sorry, is this the 5 minute argument of the full half hour?

:greengrin

Heisenberg
06-08-2021, 09:36 AM

Going by what Ross said last night he’ll be back in at the weekend. Looks like we didn’t get the sort of offer we were expecting.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2021, 09:37 AM

:confused: I thought he was very good last night, and i also thought our midfield were good too, helped out the defenders all game by making angles and showing in space for both full backs and centre backs to find. :confused:

flash
06-08-2021, 09:42 AM
Going by what Ross said last night he’ll be back in at the weekend. Looks like we didn’t get the sort of offer we were expecting.

Indeed although it's all just a game of brinkmanship until deadline day.

Callum_62
06-08-2021, 09:54 AM
Indeed although it's all just a game of brinkmanship until deadline day.Which is why I find Ross comments about 'not letting this go on indefinately' a bit odd

We have a cut off on 31st August

Until then, teams can do what they like

I think some clubs must have been intimating they will pay x y or z but the formalised offer hasn't materialised yet

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Hermit Crab
06-08-2021, 09:57 AM
Stevenson was immense in the first half last night, probably the best player on the park. I'm not sure you can necessarily say Doig would have performed better than that.

He dipped slightly in the 2nd half but overall he still played very well.

Lost his man for the goal.

Callum_62
06-08-2021, 09:58 AM
Lost his man for the goal.Don't think Prince was his man - more he ran off our midfield putting Lewis in a really poor position

Callum_62
06-08-2021, 09:59 AM
Down the sides is where we got some joy though,. So Doig could be a good weapon over there

He isn't as good defensively as Stevenson though

Edit-what did Jack say last night regarding Doig?

Andy74
06-08-2021, 10:03 AM
Which is why I find Ross comments about 'not letting this go on indefinately' a bit odd

We have a cut off on 31st August

Until then, teams can do what they like

I think some clubs must have been intimating they will pay x y or z but the formalised offer hasn't materialised yet

Teams can offer what they like later, sure, but I do sense that if we can't do this quickly now then we won't be continuing the discussions and he would be effectively 'not for sale' this window unless someone comes in with something that we can't turn down.

Hermit Crab
06-08-2021, 10:18 AM
Don't think Prince was his man - more he ran off our midfield putting Lewis in a really poor position

I say that because he was marking him the whole game, Hanlon was posted missing as well though, marking no-one.

Callum_62
06-08-2021, 10:26 AM
I say that because he was marking him the whole game, Hanlon was posted missing as well though, marking no-one.Both centre backs were not an issue at the goal

dp00
06-08-2021, 10:29 AM
Stevenson done well last night given half the time he was trying to Mark 2 men, Murphy offered him no protection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J-C
06-08-2021, 01:21 PM

Newell let the guy stroll past him.

Booked4Being-Ugly
06-08-2021, 01:28 PM
Newell let the guy stroll past him.

Newell was picking him up and just stopped for whatever reason. 100% his fault.

LaMotta
06-08-2021, 02:11 PM

That's not right mate.

H18S NX
06-08-2021, 02:15 PM
Stevenson was excellent at the weekend and again last night....Absolutely:aok:

Tyler Durden
06-08-2021, 02:20 PM
The whole defense is culpable for the goal, and Newell too.

We let 2 crosses in a row come in. Lewis and Newell could've done more to stop the first cross. After that the whole defense is too far over towards the right of our box and we don't recover. McGinn is obviously beaten a little easily and lets the 2nd cross come in. Porteous and Hanlon are covering the space more than marking opponents. Lewis is between 2 men and doesn't really get off the ground. Newell has drifted back out from the byeline towards the 6 yard line and stumbled past the scorer.

Every one of them could have defended better there. Potentially Macey too. The need to pin responsibility on the player that individual posters like the least is a bit boring.

H18S NX
06-08-2021, 02:21 PM
Newell let the guy stroll past him....Yep.

cabbageandribs1875
06-08-2021, 02:30 PM

We let 2 crosses in a row come in. Lewis and Newell could've done more to stop the first cross. After that the whole defense is too far over towards the right of our box and we don't recover. McGinn is obviously beaten a little easily and lets the 2nd cross come in. Porteous and Hanlon are covering the space more than marking opponents. Lewis is between 2 men and doesn't really get off the ground. Newell has drifted back out from the byeline towards the 6 yard line and stumbled past the scorer.

Every one of them could have defended better there. Potentially Macey too. The need to pin responsibility on the player that individual posters like the least is a bit boring.

think i'm the only one on the match thread that blamed Macey :greengrin i'll need to see replay though

USAHibee
06-08-2021, 05:31 PM
think i'm the only one on the match thread that blamed Macey :greengrin i'll need to see replay though

Do we always have to find blame in every goal, it's a team game.. I just don't see what good comes of it....

B.H.F.C
06-08-2021, 05:53 PM
Down the sides is where we got some joy though,. So Doig could be a good weapon over there

He isn't as good defensively as Stevenson though

Edit-what did Jack say last night regarding Doig?

I think Doig is every bit as good defensively as Stevenson. I seem to see him a bit differently than most. Everybody talks about how good he is going forward but I thought he contributed to a huge defensive improvement on the season before when Stevenson had really struggled.

LaMotta
06-08-2021, 06:04 PM

:top marks

flash
06-08-2021, 06:15 PM
I think Doig is every bit as good defensively as Stevenson. I seem to see him a bit differently than most. Everybody talks about how good he is going forward but I thought he contributed to a huge defensive improvement on the season before when Stevenson had really struggled.

He's next level that's why he is in such demand.

The_Sauz
06-08-2021, 06:15 PM
Doig is not even close to Lewis when it come to defending :agree: But he will strengthen up in that department in time.

The Baldmans Comb
06-08-2021, 06:21 PM
Stevenson was as culpable in the goal as everyone else.

He never got off the ground, was at the wrong angle, didn't anticipate the run and his attempt to try to stop the Croatian player was laugable made even worse by the fact that the guy was even smaller than him.

Lots of very decent play as well but he was far from outstanding.

Inconsequential
06-08-2021, 06:25 PM
Do we always have to find blame in every goal, it's a team game.. I just don't see what good comes of it.... Well said Yankee! :wink:

Centre Hawf
06-08-2021, 06:26 PM
Stevenson was as culpable in the goal as everyone else.

He never got off the ground, was at the wrong angle,didn't anticipate the run and his attempt to try to stop the Croatian player was laugable made even worse by the fact that the guy was even smaller than him.

He was beaten because he had to react to him running free from Newell. He wasn't in a position to challenge him effectively because he was in a position to mark his own man who was coming back in off the right wing. Nothing about the attempt is laughable, it was a desperate attempt to salvage something from a dire defensive situation. I honestly don't see what more Lewis could have done other than be psychic to know he was going to run free.

I agree with previous posters though, the inquest into every goal is becoming tiresome and this desperation to find someone that must hang for any goal we concede isn't healthy. Teams concede goals, yes they are frustrating, but I sometimes wonder if some people won't be happy with a Hibs defence until the club go through an entire season with only clean sheets.

cabbageandribs1875
06-08-2021, 06:47 PM
Do we always have to find blame in every goal, it's a team game.. I just don't see what good comes of it....

have you went around every other thread, i'm allowed my opinion as are plenty others on lots of other threads on who's fault they think it was, thanks muchly

Peevemor
06-08-2021, 06:57 PM
I agree with previous posters though, the inquest into every goal is becoming tiresome and this desperation to find someone that must hang for any goal we concede isn't healthy. Teams concede goals, yes they are frustrating, but I sometimes wonder if some people won't be happy with a Hibs defence until the club go through an entire season with only clean sheets.

I agree 100%

B.H.F.C
06-08-2021, 07:04 PM
Doig is not even close to Lewis when it come to defending :agree: But he will strengthen up in that department in time.

Honestly couldn’t disagree more. Lewis has plenty dig about him but if he was so superior to Doig defensively he wouldn’t have lost his place to him.

Since452
06-08-2021, 07:08 PM
He was beaten because he had to react to him running free from Newell. He wasn't in a position to challenge him effectively because he was in a position to mark his own man who was coming back in off the right wing. Nothing about the attempt is laughable, it was a desperate attempt to salvage something from a dire defensive situation. I honestly don't see what more Lewis could have done other than be psychic to know he was going to run free.

People would complain that it was more entertaining football when we did concede

USAHibee
06-08-2021, 11:24 PM
have you went around every other thread, i'm allowed my opinion as are plenty others on lots of other threads on who's fault they think it was, thanks muchly

Sorry, that wasn't aimed at you, more football fans (and media ) in general.. it's quite tiresome

Allez Hibs
06-08-2021, 11:45 PM

That's what happens when Lewy is involved in a defensive screw up. It causes chaos on here for one reason or another.

Callum_62
06-08-2021, 11:53 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/josh-doig-back-in-the-fold-as-hibs-boss-jack-ross-says-club-is-taking-back-control-of-transfer-situation-3337561

Looks like verbal offer wasn't followed through on?

The_Sauz
07-08-2021, 12:34 PM
Honestly couldn’t disagree more. Lewis has plenty dig about him but if he was so superior to Doig defensively he wouldn’t have lost his place to him.
Lewis was injured and that's why JR gave Josh the chance for some game time!

GloryGlory
07-08-2021, 01:19 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/josh-doig-back-in-the-fold-as-hibs-boss-jack-ross-says-club-is-taking-back-control-of-transfer-situation-3337561

Looks like verbal offer wasn't followed through on?

Some team playing transfer games - not following through on a tentative initial offer in the hope Hibs will panic and accept a much lower bid? Will soon learn Hibs are holding the aces here.

B.H.F.C
07-08-2021, 01:20 PM
Lewis was injured and that's why JR gave Josh the chance for some game time!

That’s not true. Doig started last season, Stevenson actually came on in the first game, but Doig made himself first pick.

Mr. Wonderful
07-08-2021, 01:34 PM
That’s not true. Doig started last season, Stevenson actually came on in the first game, but Doig made himself first pick.

Lewy was injured last pre season and started later.

jacomo
07-08-2021, 01:41 PM
Teams can offer what they like later, sure, but I do sense that if we can't do this quickly now then we won't be continuing the discussions and he would be effectively 'not for sale' this window unless someone comes in with something that we can't turn down.

I think you might be right.

It’s clear that we’ve received firm interest in Josh and we are trying to force the issue a bit by getting concrete offers now.

Unfortunately the nature of the transfer window is that it’s not entirely in our control. A late bid can turn a players head.

neil7908
07-08-2021, 01:46 PM
I think you might be right.

It’s clear that we’ve received firm interest in Josh and we are trying to force the issue a bit by getting concrete offers now.

Unfortunately the nature of the transfer window is that it’s not entirely in our control. A late bid can turn a players head.

I have a feeling it'll rumble on with no one biting until the last day in August when other moves might push a club into giving us what we are asking for.

Tricky one for us to manage but there isn't much we can do.

EI255
08-08-2021, 12:38 AM
I find that the blonde beauty is worth in excess of £59m

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

seanshow
08-08-2021, 01:46 AM
I hope Josh gets a start on Sunday and Thursday scoring the winner in both, and signs an improved contract on Monday.

:greengrin Has it not been mentioned by a third party that he wants to stay at the hibees anyway.

Mr. Wonderful
08-08-2021, 06:00 PM
Best left back we've had since Shades. Although he's not as hard

HoboHarry
08-08-2021, 06:02 PM

Chuck Norris isn't as hard as Shades was.....

cabbageandribs1875
08-08-2021, 06:03 PM

David Murphy even

Hibs Class
08-08-2021, 07:44 PM
First time to see him in the flesh today, thought he was very good. Hope we keep him beyond the end of current transfer window.

Iggy Pope
08-08-2021, 07:56 PM

Seems just as nice a fellah though!

jacomo
08-08-2021, 07:58 PM
David Murphy even

What a player he was.

whiskyhibby
08-08-2021, 07:59 PM
Chuck Norris isn't as hard as Shades was.....

:na na: so true

EVENTUALLY
08-08-2021, 08:00 PM
First time to see him in the flesh today, thought he was very good. Hope we keep him beyond the end of current transfer window.

Me too. Thought he was excellent and much better than I hoped he would be.

Inconsequential
08-08-2021, 08:04 PM
As far as I'm aware Josh still lives at home with his parents. It's a big call for him to move from Hibs earn great money and probably set himself up for life. Big culture shock to live in a new city, in a luxury home away from friends and family. In an ideal world Josh would play for Hibs for a few seasons then get his big move. I think at the moment Josh would just prefer to have the status quo and play football. Plus you can't beat home cooking and getting your socks and pants laundered. :greengrin

Nevi_SOL
08-08-2021, 08:32 PM
Looked a lot better today than I’ve seen of him on tv. Very happy we’re holding out for a big transfer fee. That boy can play

147lothian
08-08-2021, 11:55 PM
The way he hung up the cross for Maginnes to head in was a thing of beauty for me, he made the goal by picking his player out with the weight and accuracy of the ball he delivered, top class.

HendoDelivered
09-08-2021, 12:01 AM
I’d rather keep him for another season, or till at least Jan, than cash in now for 3/4M. We could potentially get more, he will only get better.

blackpoolhibs
09-08-2021, 06:38 AM
He was brilliant yesterday, i think we all saw the potential teams are buying. If he progresses at the same rate he has done, we will have a wonderful player or a lot of money. :thumbsup:

hibeedonald
09-08-2021, 06:50 AM
Yep he was class.
The scouts from other teams will have noticed him for his raw talent and the parts of his game that were slightly off last season have been brushed up now.
Previously I thought he would be the easiest one to lose, now I'm not sure.

Allez Hibs
09-08-2021, 12:45 PM
Hope we can keep him for this season. He was brilliant yesterday.

Centre Hawf
09-08-2021, 12:51 PM
The boy is a talent. I do think for his development spending the rest of this season here is the best for him.

We're lucky to have him and Lewis as our left back choices, absolutely no fear going in any game with either.

calumhibee1
09-08-2021, 01:01 PM
I presume nobody expects him to move back to centre half anymore?

He looks tailor made for a full back.

Centre Hawf
09-08-2021, 02:36 PM
I presume nobody expects him to move back to centre half anymore?

He looks tailor made for a full back.

It's not something I have thought about but it would be interesting if he's seen as a back up centre half if we were in a crisis if say Hanlon or Porteous were out at the same time.