PDA

View Full Version : Early days ... but.

NAE NOOKIE
05-08-2021, 09:15 PM
OK its only 4 competitive games into the season, but so far I for one am hugely encouraged by what I've seen. We were excellent with 10 men in the first leg of our last Euro tie, very good against Motherwell, at least from middle to front, and played some really good stuff tonight without getting the result we deserved.

If we can just find a way to stop conceding stupid goals from set pieces and cross balls and convert more of the chances we are making we could be on the way to a very good season ... the football already looks far better.

Sammy7nil
05-08-2021, 09:32 PM
If we could only win all our games I think we could do the treble 😊😂

Torto7
05-08-2021, 09:32 PM
Agreed. We have no luck though. The ball hardly ever falls for us in the box but does so constantly from the opponents. I'm biased but it feels like that. Some of our football has been top drawer. JDH gives us a different dimension along with KM. Our bench looks healthy too. I'm very optimistic.

NAE NOOKIE
05-08-2021, 09:44 PM

Aye .. if ma auntie had baws etc. I was just trying to make a positive point mate.

Northernhibee
05-08-2021, 09:46 PM

Quadruple.

delbert
05-08-2021, 09:47 PM
OK its only 4 competitive games into the season, but so far I for one am hugely encouraged by what I've seen. We were excellent with 10 men in the first leg of our last Euro tie, very good against Motherwell, at least from middle to front, and played some really good stuff tonight without getting the result we deserved.

If we can just find a way to stop conceding stupid goals from set pieces and cross balls and convert more of the chances we are making we could be on the way to a very good season ... the football already looks far better.

There is a fairly easy solution to your last point, ditch the soft centre and sign some actual defenders !!

green day
05-08-2021, 09:51 PM

We are going to be great for the neutral to watch this season - great going forward and gifting goals at the back.

Having said that I would far rather be watching us than most of the boring negative dross in the league (and i include St J in that despite their decent result tonight).

I think the only teams worth watching will be Huns, Hibs and Aberdeen.

If we can sort out the crap defence, we might be in with a shout of something.

neil7908
05-08-2021, 09:56 PM
We need to win next week though. There was a lot of talk about fine margins - we need to learn our lesson and start moving that in our favour.

We are better than our opponents tonight. But we need to go out next week and get through.

BegbieHSC
05-08-2021, 09:58 PM
I think, tbh, we have a very good team, and with Mueller coming in we can only get better.

Even with Doig away, I think the past two matches, Lewis has shown his class.

This squad of players deserve a trophy, and should be targeting that at.

RossScott1991
05-08-2021, 10:04 PM
We already look like we will be more exciting to watch this season.

inglisavhibs
05-08-2021, 10:27 PM
There is a fairly easy solution to your last point, ditch the soft centre and sign some actual defenders !!
Wow were you watching the game? Our central defenders were great tonight.

Allez Hibs
05-08-2021, 10:29 PM
Wow were you watching the game? Our central defenders were great tonight.

Must have kept a clean sheet then?

BoomtownHibees
05-08-2021, 10:31 PM

So central defenders are to blame for every goal?

Allez Hibs

You'll get slaughtered for that but you are spot on.

Expecting the club to move forward with the same soft centre is madness.

Will be found out time and time again when it really matters.

Incisive analysis thanks for this

Allez Hibs
05-08-2021, 10:32 PM
So central defenders are to blame for every goal?

If they are headed goals, I'd say so.

Smartie
We’ve put in some really good performances and tonight was the first competitive game we haven’t won, so it’s certainly been a decent start to the season.

I thought we played pretty well for the full 90 tonight, we often fall out of games or have shaky spells but we were pretty good throughout.

It has to be of slight concern that we weren’t clinical enough at either end to get a win out of that performance though.

Signs are good though.

BoomtownHibees

Wow

inglisavhibs
05-08-2021, 10:35 PM
Stupid comment.

Fergus52
05-08-2021, 10:36 PM

Headed goals, of which we conceded zero in the league last season

Callum_62
05-08-2021, 10:38 PM
If they are headed goals, I'd say so.Eh, nah.

https://twitter.com/Freddie_23_23/status/1423375385157378057?s=19

The header is nearly beyond the back post

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Allez Hibs
Headed goals, of which we conceded zero in the league last season

What about the cups?

superfurryhibby

:rolleyes:

Allez Hibs
05-08-2021, 10:40 PM
Eh, nah.

1. McGinn easily letting crosses in after doing so on sunday.

2. LEWY

3. Cheap Defensive mistakes.

BoomtownHibees
05-08-2021, 10:44 PM

2. LEWY

So nothing to do with either centre half?

Allez Hibs
05-08-2021, 10:47 PM
So nothing to do with either centre half?

It's a defensive mistake that goal. Two actually.

Hermit Crab
05-08-2021, 10:49 PM
3 goals conceded in 2 games all from crosses and headers is concerning.

I thought Macey could have came that cross tonight.

BoomtownHibees
05-08-2021, 10:50 PM
It's a defensive mistake that goal. Two actually.

Mcginn and Stevenson definitely could do better. But neither of them were playing centre half

Stuart93
05-08-2021, 10:51 PM
Eh, nah.

Hadn’t seen the goal again yet, was poor from Mcginn letting the cross in so easily then poor awareness from Stevenson at the back post

wookie70
05-08-2021, 10:52 PM

2. LEWY

Lewy didn't even look like he knew the scorer was there. Did he run from deeper. Certainly nothing to do with the centre halves It is a bizarre thing to suggest because you lose goals from headers it makes the centre halves at fault. Perhaps if we played with a zone for set pieces but it looks to me like we match up so if the centre halves are marking their men and they don't score what have they done wrong. Paul and Ryan played very well tonight and again Hanlon had a big part in an important goal.

Hermit Crab
05-08-2021, 10:59 PM
Lewy didn't even look like he knew the scorer was there. Did he run from deeper. Certainly nothing to do with the centre halves It is a bizarre thing to suggest because you lose goals from headers it makes the centre halves at fault. Perhaps if we played with a zone for set pieces but it looks to me like we match up so if the centre halves are marking their men and they don't score what have they done wrong. Paul and Ryan played very well tonight and again Hanlon had a big part in an important goal.

The boy that scored, number 11, Prince something or other, Stevenson was marking him all night and he was the Croats best player in my opinion. Gave stevenson a torrid time. It was his man and he should have been aware of his whereabouts to be honest. Hanlon was in the middle marking nobody and made a poor attempt to head ball but was nowhere near it.

Smartie
05-08-2021, 11:00 PM
3 goals conceded in 2 games all from crosses and headers is concerning.

I thought Macey could have came that cross tonight.

If we’re going to be critical about tonight, I thought Macey was probably the player who was closest to having the negatives outweighing the positives.

He fumbled a shot that was going wide out for a corner first half, dithered about coming off his line and might have been caught out second half, and looks a bit hesitant at the goal.

McGinn and Stevenson should both have done a bit better at the goal but Stevenson had a generally great game tonight, McGinn too but with some more sloppy moments along the way.

I don’t think the centre halves are to blame in any way, same as at the weekend, although we’ve chalked up quite a few headed goals against us in just a few days with neither of them near to the action. At what point do you start to wonder if there’s something going on? Not yet, but worth watching going forward.

Smartie
05-08-2021, 11:03 PM

He looked like he got a bit of a run on Stevenson, which makes it hard to defend.

Hermit Crab
05-08-2021, 11:04 PM
If we’re going to be critical about tonight, I thought Macey was probably the player who was closest to having the negatives outweighing the positives.

He fumbled a shot that was going wide out for a corner first half, dithered about coming off his line and might have been caught out second half, and looks a bit hesitant at the goal.

McGinn and Stevenson should both have done a bit better at the goal but Stevenson had a generally great game tonight, McGinn too but with some more sloppy moments along the way.

I don’t think the centre halves are to blame in any way, same as at the weekend, although we’ve chalked up quite a few headed goals against us in just a few days with neither of them near to the action. At what point do you start to wonder if there’s something going on? Not yet, but worth watching going forward.

I agree RE Macey, I thought that cross for their goal should have been his, 2 yards away from him at an easy height to catch and no opposition players to challenge him. Poor from him I think.

Hibby70
05-08-2021, 11:13 PM
People do realise that we're not Barcelona don't they?

We're not going to go a full season without conceding goals. Some of the comments about Stevenson and Hanlon on here are utterly ridiculous.

Be careful what you wish for.

MWHIBBIES
05-08-2021, 11:19 PM

First football match was it?

Shrekko
05-08-2021, 11:20 PM
Absolutely remarkable what this thread has become so quickly.

Definitely a few Hibees that maybe need to think about switching allegiance to Man City, Bayern Munich, PSG or Barca.... then at least the level of scrutiny and criticism of players performances will at least be proportionate to expectations.

Allez Hibs
05-08-2021, 11:35 PM
Absolutely remarkable what this thread has become so quickly.

Definitely a few Hibees that maybe need to think about switching allegiance to Man City, Bayern Munich, PSG or Barca.... then at least the level of scrutiny and criticism of players performances will at least be proportionate to expectations.

I think the issue is that we have conceded pretty much similar goals in our most recent competitive meaningful games where a cross is put in from the right back area and we have conceded a headed goal. Cup final, Motherwell away and tonight. All the same goal. Why? If we are as good as we think we are.

Very quickly teams will figure out to overload our full backs and put the big man up against Lewy.

05-08-2021, 11:38 PM
I think the issue is that we have conceded pretty much similar goals in our most recent big games where a cross is put in from the right hand side and we have conceded a headed goal. Cup final, Motherwell away and tonight. All the same goal. Why?

The cross came from the left in the cup final.

Allez Hibs
05-08-2021, 11:39 PM
The cross came from the left in the cup final.

It came from our right back area.

Shrekko
05-08-2021, 11:40 PM
I think the issue is that we have conceded pretty much similar goals in our most recent big games where a cross is put in from the right hand side and we have conceded a headed goal. Cup final, Motherwell away and tonight. All the same goal. Why? If we are as good as we think we are.

Very quickly teams will figure out to overload our full backs and put the big man up against Lewy.

I think Hibs have been generally really good this season.... and will probably get even better. I'm happy.

I don't expect them to be flawless though.

lord bunberry
05-08-2021, 11:47 PM
The boy that scored, number 11, Prince something or other, Stevenson was marking him all night and he was the Croats best player in my opinion. Gave stevenson a torrid time. It was his man and he should have been aware of his whereabouts to be honest. Hanlon was in the middle marking nobody and made a poor attempt to head ball but was nowhere near it.
I think saying he gave Lewis a torrid time is stretching it to the extreme. They were pretty poor and had limited time in our half. I agree Prince did look their most dangerous player though.

Since452
06-08-2021, 05:52 AM

We look a very handy side. Rijeka knew they got away with one last night.

green day
06-08-2021, 06:02 AM
It's possible to say we look an entertaining side but need to tighten up these sloppy goals conceded from crosses into the box.

Everything is not black and white.

calumhibee1
06-08-2021, 06:02 AM
Disappointing result as we played really well.

Gives us a lot to do over there but if we play like last night then we have a chance. We already look a much more exciting team to watch this season.

wookie70
06-08-2021, 08:35 AM

Just watched the highlights. Lewis in a good position and their scorer runs from outside the box past two hibs midfielders. Newell, I think, should have tracked him but let him have a free run. Lewis had no chance as the boy had a running jump Really frustrating as we had loads of men back to deal with that and they all left it to each other. I'd have Lewis quite low down the list of who is responsible for that goal