PDA

View Full Version : 100th European Game

gbhibby
03-08-2021, 09:25 PM
20 more than the Hearts. My best night's were Napoli, Sporting Lisbon for results and AEK for atmosphere. Leeds away was special felt like a home match. Sure there are many great stories out there.

theonlywayisup
03-08-2021, 09:39 PM
Any reason why we're currently on an odd number. That implies that we've had a n extra play-off match,which maybe was the case in the past before away goal rule.

gbhibby
03-08-2021, 09:44 PM
Any reason why we're currently on an odd number. That implies that we've had a n extra play-off match,which maybe was the case in the past before away goal rule.
Had a play off match in 1961 against Roma we would have got to final if away goals had been around at that time.100th game is away match in Croatia we also had a play off match against Valencia.

BILLYHIBS
03-08-2021, 09:50 PM
Best performance second half Hibernian 6 v 1 Sportng Lisbon imho sent shock waves throughout Europe

Others will say Sporting away 1-2 or maybe Videoton away 0-3 ?

O'Rourke3
04-08-2021, 11:01 AM
Best performance second half Hibernian 6 v 1 Sportng Lisbon imho sent shock waves throughout Europe

Others will say Sporting away 1-2 or maybe Videoton away 0-3 ?Hammering Leeds 0-0 at Ellen Road. They were ubeaten until the end of Feb that season in England and we were all over them both legs.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The Tubs
04-08-2021, 11:09 AM
Who’s played the most games in Europe for Hibs?

04-08-2021, 11:12 AM
Was on the Hibs special ( train )to that one. We battered them. Was the home leg when they were awarded a free kick fir the 4 step rule and they scored ?

Green Reaper
04-08-2021, 11:15 AM
My favourites were Liverpool at home for result and Anderlecht away for memories, what a trip!

Hiber-nation
04-08-2021, 12:01 PM
Who’s played the most games in Europe for Hibs?

Good question. I'll guess Arthur Duncan.

superfurryhibby
04-08-2021, 12:12 PM
Good question. I'll guess Arthur Duncan.

I'll raise you Pat Stanton :wink:

Best European night for me was my first European game, v Sporting Lisbon. Etched on the memory, even though I was but eight years old. Never seen any footage of this game.

.Sean.
04-08-2021, 12:29 PM
I wasn’t at the Athens game so even though we never won the Dnipro home leg was pretty special. Place was rocking and it would have been bedlam if Sproules shot had been a couple inches more inside the post. I was also on Tv at half time, scranning a pie

Only been away with Hibs once, Brondby, and that on the back of a Scottish Cup win will take some beating

weecounty hibby
04-08-2021, 02:52 PM
Anderlecht away was special for the huge travelling support 4 to 5 thousand there. Great performance as well against a very good side. Great memories of the Grande Place and the huge array of beers. Someone also told me the red light district was interesting as well

Feed McGraw
04-08-2021, 03:15 PM
Was on the Hibs special ( train )to that one. We battered them. Was the home leg when they were awarded a free kick fir the 4 step rule and they scored ? Was on that train too. No, the home leg was when we went out on penalties. The 4 step one was when we played them a few years earlier.

cabbageandribs1875
04-08-2021, 03:56 PM
very favourite European tie Hibs v Leeds 1973, the two greatest clubs in European/World football, fact

only two away trips both Belgium, Anderlecht and FC Liege, fond memories even more now since three friends from those trips are no longer with us :(

favourite scorelines 6-1 v Sporting Lisbon with a next round win 7-1 v FC Besa
also
Rosenberg two seasons later 9-1

it was normal for us to be playing european football every season :greengrin

SJNB Hibby
04-08-2021, 09:46 PM
Wikipedia showing we've only played 98----and 8 of those were the Inter Toto Cup....not really official

Pagan Hibernia
04-08-2021, 09:53 PM
Anyone on here remember the 3-0 win against (later to be) twice European champions Porto in ‘68?

any memories from that game?

gbhibby
04-08-2021, 10:13 PM
Was on the Hibs special ( train )to that one. We battered them. Was the home leg when they were awarded a free kick fir the 4 step rule and they scored ?
That was the previous meeting with Leeds.

gbhibby
04-08-2021, 10:31 PM
Anyone on here remember the 3-0 win against (later to be) twice European champions Porto in ‘68?

any memories from that game?
Was at game but was only 6 years old it was 1967
Hibs 3 0 win first leg 3 1 defeat 2nd leg
Hibs team that night
Allan
Duncan
Davis
Stanton
Masden
Mcgraw
Cormack
Scott
Stein
Stevenson
The mighty Quinn

Cormack 2 goals
Stevenson 1
What would that team be worth now?
Went on to beat Napoli after that.

MagicSwirlingShip
04-08-2021, 11:23 PM
Wikipedia showing we've only played 98----and 8 of those were the Inter Toto Cup....not really official

The return leg in Croatia is our 100th competitive European tie. Think that’s pretty official.

BILLYHIBS
05-08-2021, 09:36 AM
Anyone know the all time top scorer in Europe? :hijack:

:greengrin

SJNB Hibby
05-08-2021, 09:57 AM
The return leg in Croatia is our 100th competitive European tie. Think that’s pretty official.

I meant the Inter Toto

superfurryhibby
05-08-2021, 10:08 AM
Anyone know the all time top scorer in Europe? :hijack:

:greengrin

Did we ever get an answer to the most appearances question?

I'll go Jimmy O'Rourke for top scorer.

BILLYHIBS
05-08-2021, 10:09 AM
Did we ever get an answer to the most appearances question?

I'll go Jimmy O'Rourke for top scorer.

No and No

👍🏿

Since452
05-08-2021, 10:12 AM
20 more than the Hearts. My best night's were Napoli, Sporting Lisbon for results and AEK for atmosphere. Leeds away was special felt like a home match. Sure there are many great stories out there.

Why are Hearts so big and famous but only played 80 European games? Doesn't make much sense.

gbhibby
05-08-2021, 10:29 AM
Top scorer
Joe McBride
Pat Stanton
Alan Gordon

Most appearances
Sir Pat

BILLYHIBS
05-08-2021, 10:30 AM
Top scorer
Joe McBride
Pat Stanton
Alan Gordon

Most appearances
Sir Pat
:thumbsup:

gbhibby
05-08-2021, 10:43 AM
Hopefully we are getting back to the days when European football was the norm for us.

superfurryhibby
05-08-2021, 12:13 PM
Top scorer
Joe McBride
Pat Stanton
Alan Gordon

Most appearances
Sir Pat

Nice one. I had suggested King Paddy for the appearances earlier, based on his long Hibees career being at a time when we regularly had decent runs in Europe.

Do you know the number of goals they scored? McBride was some goal scorer, before my time though. He only played for a couple of seasons at ER.

BILLYHIBS
05-08-2021, 12:31 PM
Nice one. I had suggested King Paddy for the appearances earlier, based on his long Hibees career being at a time when we regularly had decent runs in Europe.

Do you know the number of goals they scored? McBride was some goal scorer, before my time though. He only played for a couple of seasons at ER.

Roxyhibee
05-08-2021, 01:25 PM
If I hadn’t been only 8 at the time, Naples probably would have been my greatest European night at ER and even though I knew it was an incredible result, it’s all a bit hazy - so it has to be Sporting Lisbon. That second half demolition was beyond words and we left the ground thinking we could win the trophy. And we could have.

As someone says, huge European nights were the norm back then and beating the likes of Liverpool and knowing we could finish the job down there was a tremendous feeling, especially going to school next day to see if Hearts fans fancied their chances in the Texaco.

However, if Paco Luna had popped that header in in the closing minutes against AEK, that would have easily topped everything. But I’m not sure I’d have been here typing this as I may have exploded without trace. Still think about that ‘what if’ night.

HFC93
05-08-2021, 01:37 PM
Does a table showing how many times each Scottish side has played in Europe exit?

gbhibby
05-08-2021, 01:50 PM
Does a table showing how many times each Scottish side has played in Europe exit?
Wiki have one up to 18 March.

HFC93
05-08-2021, 02:16 PM
Wiki have one up to 18 March.

Interesting. We're behind Dundee Utd but I reckon we'll catch up with them over the next few years.

gbhibby
05-08-2021, 03:04 PM
Interesting. We're behind Dundee Utd but I reckon we'll catch up with them over the next few years.
That came as a surprise to me. Need to get into the group stages regularly.

BILLYHIBS
05-08-2021, 05:01 PM
The Sporting game was the last game played with Standing in the Cowshed

Can anyone remember what was different about our strips that night of nights ?

blackpoolhibs
05-08-2021, 05:05 PM

Easy. :agree:

BILLYHIBS
05-08-2021, 05:06 PM
Easy. :agree:
Ha Ha Ha !

CropleyWasGod
05-08-2021, 05:07 PM

Purple?

BILLYHIBS
05-08-2021, 05:08 PM
Purple?
Away yes

Home no

CropleyWasGod
05-08-2021, 05:16 PM
Away yes

Home no

All green shirts then? :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
05-08-2021, 05:17 PM
All green shirts then? :greengrin

BH’s all time fav

BILLYHIBS
05-08-2021, 06:05 PM
Q First player to score a hat-trick in Europe ?

MagicSwirlingShip
05-08-2021, 06:09 PM
Q First player to score a hat-trick in Europe ?

Jimmy?

BILLYHIBS
05-08-2021, 06:11 PM
Jimmy?
Nope

Sorry

Jim_in_Canada
05-08-2021, 06:18 PM
Joe McBride v Malmo ?

HH81
05-08-2021, 06:20 PM
99th game tonight but 100th in 2nd leg?

BILLYHIBS
05-08-2021, 06:21 PM
Joe McBride v Malmo ?
Joe McBride Lokomotive Leipzig

BILLYHIBS
05-08-2021, 06:30 PM
Q Against which side did HIBS record their biggest aggregate win against?

hibeg
05-08-2021, 06:31 PM
Rosenborg

BILLYHIBS
05-08-2021, 06:37 PM
Rosenborg
👍🏿

IberianHibernian
05-08-2021, 09:23 PM

Can anyone remember what was different about our strips that night of nights ?Don`t think that`s right . Cave ( or Cowshed as you call it ) was full of standing fans v Sp Lisbon but I was in Cave at Besa game standing - pretty sure half of Cave was open for standing while work was being done . Still remember Brownlie goal ( s ) at that end . All green shirt was worn in an easy Derby win about same time with Cave empty ( I was in Dunbar End - where were Hearts fans that day ? - pre strict segregation so maybe mixed in with home fans on main terracing ) . Empty Cave because work was about to start but with no Albanian fans and a big crowd expected after Sporting win , half of Cave was used and all for standing fans .

Ray_
05-08-2021, 09:28 PM

That was the earlier tie [Jan 68], Willie Wilson with Jack Charlton scoring. Leeds won the competition that year.

Ray_
05-08-2021, 09:35 PM
Joe McBride Lokomotive Leipzig

Great game that, he scored at Ibrox [his debut] the previous Saturday and we played Morton at ER following the Leipzig game and he scored four, eight goals in his first three games. Unfortunately, Colin Stein replicated Joe's feat with three against Arbroath, two against Dundalk and three against us in Joe McBride's debut game. Colin Grant scored the only goal in Germany.

BILLYHIBS
05-08-2021, 10:09 PM
Don`t think that`s right . Cave ( or Cowshed as you call it ) was full of standing fans v Sp Lisbon but I was in Cave at Besa game standing - pretty sure half of Cave was open for standing while work was being done . Still remember Brownlie goal ( s ) at that end . All green shirt was worn in an easy Derby win about same time with Cave empty ( I was in Dunbar End - where were Hearts fans that day ? - pre strict segregation so maybe mixed in with home fans on main terracing ) . Empty Cave because work was about to start but with no Albanian fans and a big crowd expected after Sporting win , half of Cave was used and all for standing fans .
Er .. ok last game with a FULL Cowshed/Shed with standing punters

I remember Tom Hart started work on the seats immediately after Sporting but like you I have memories of watching the Besa goals flying in behind the slope goal

I also remember the huge queues the night of Sporting to get into the Cave/ Cowshed because it was public knowledge seats were going in because of aggrovation with visiting fans caused by little or no segregation

I also remember many subsequent games with lesser crowds and terrible weather conditions where HIBS very kindly allowed us to shelter in the seats at no extra charge

GGTTH

judas
06-08-2021, 08:04 AM
Why are Hearts so big and famous but only played 80 European games? Doesn't make much sense.

Especially when you have 400,000 fans.:confused:

BILLYHIBS
12-08-2021, 05:19 PM
Keeping the daft questions going to celebrate our 100th game tonight

Q. Hibernian were the first Scottish team to enter the Fairs Cities Cup now the UEFA Cup

What team were they drawn against in the first round and what was the score?