PDA

View Full Version : Not the team for Rijeka game..

Souter96Mac
03-08-2021, 07:07 PM
Hopefully the thread title throws off the Rijeka fan who's on the forum, in case he's scouting 😂

What are folk thinking for the starting eleven for Thursday? I'm thinking the below:

Macey
McGinn Porto Hanlon Stevenson
Magennis Newell
Boyle Allan Murphy
Nisbet

I'd usually suggest Goga for this type of game, but I was disappointed with him on the weekend, and KM needs to continue to start.

I'd like to see Allan starting, as he will provide us with quality in midfield to play in our pacey players should we be looking to counter Rijeka.

This would leave the below options to come on should we need it/see out a 5-0 victory 😁:
Doidge, Mackay, JDH, Gullan, Gogic, Campbell.

Irish_Steve
03-08-2021, 07:08 PM
He`s jambo according to the Mensa members on BrokeBack

sauzee=legend
03-08-2021, 07:10 PM
Macey

McGinn
Porto
Hanlon
Stevenson

Gogic
Newell

Boyle
Nisbet
Magennis

Doidge

BILLYHIBS
03-08-2021, 07:12 PM
Stick McGregor and Porto upfront beside Doidgerino and we will blow them away with our long ball game

Bring back the slope

Billy Whizz
03-08-2021, 07:21 PM
I’m not sure anyone will get the team selection right
All I know is that we will be hopefully positive

B.H.F.C
03-08-2021, 07:25 PM
Doyle-Hayes in for Gogic for me. Rest of the team as it was on Sunday.

Northernhibee
03-08-2021, 07:26 PM
Macey

McGinn
Porto
Hanlon
Stevenson

Doyle Hayes
Maggenis
Newell

Boyle
Nisbet
Mackay

Big_Franck
I've got a feeling he'll go with the same starting 11 from Motherwell, despite Gogic not having his best game. He'll be crucial against the Croatians and I don't think Allan will start as he can't possibly be up to speed having missed so many games. Start Allan against Killie and build his fitness there.

hibee316
I’m not sure anyone will get the team selection right
All I know is that we will be hopefully positive

I'm really hoping no-one is positive!

Fergus52
03-08-2021, 07:28 PM
Doyle-Hayes in for Gogic for me. Rest of the team as it was on Sunday.

This for me as well.

Could see the logic in starting both gogic and Allan though, bit of a selection headache in midfield just now.

one day maybe...
03-08-2021, 07:30 PM
3 - 5 - 2

Macey

McGinn
Porteuos
Hanlon

Boyle
Maggenis
Newell
Doyle Hayes
Murphy

Doidge
Nisbet

Keith_M
03-08-2021, 07:37 PM
I think some people are missing the point of this thread.

:greengrin

easty
03-08-2021, 07:37 PM
3 - 5 - 2

Macey

McGinn
Porteuos
Hanlon

Boyle
Maggenis
Newell
Doyle Hayes
Murphy

Doidge
Nisbet

I like 3-5-2, but it would never work with Murphy on the left. We’d be far too exposed down that side.

Smartie
03-08-2021, 07:38 PM
Hoof

Hoof Hoof Hoof

Ungh Grunt Ouch Niggle Elbows

Hoofee Hoofee

Irish_Steve
03-08-2021, 07:51 PM
Hoof

Hoof Hoof Hoof

Ungh Grunt Ouch Niggle Elbows

Hoofee Hoofee

I`d agree with that except replacing a hoofee with a shinner

And Blooter for a sub

Eyrie
03-08-2021, 08:08 PM

And Blooter for a sub

We're signing Graeme Shinnie? Shouldn't that news be on the transfer thread?

jingler1954
03-08-2021, 08:09 PM
3 - 5 - 2

Macey

McGinn
Porteuos
Hanlon

Boyle
Maggenis
Newell
Doyle Hayes
Murphy

Doidge
Nisbet

That was my thoughts.

Rijeka fan
04-08-2021, 07:52 AM
Yes, I am looking, but not an expert for Hibs players so....:greengrin

We still did not have a press conference so I do not know about current squad status, who is eligible to play and who is not.

I expect that we will start like against Dinamo, some variation of 3-5-2. Perhaps we will make some changes in midfield, we have some new players who are now registered.

Also, do not expect Murić to start in first 11.

Hibbyradge
04-08-2021, 07:56 AM

Who cares if he is?

And why would he waste his time pretending to be a Rijeka fan if he was? :hilarious

rodhibs55
04-08-2021, 08:15 AM
3 - 5 - 2

Macey

McGinn
Porteuos
Hanlon

Boyle
Maggenis
Newell
Doyle Hayes
Murphy

Doidge
Nisbet

Quite like this to. Only change for me would be Scottie for Newell.

flash
04-08-2021, 08:18 AM
3 - 5 - 2

Macey

McGinn
Porteuos
Hanlon

Boyle
Maggenis
Newell
Doyle Hayes
Murphy

Doidge
Nisbet
That's the one.

gbhibby
04-08-2021, 08:21 AM
Stick McGregor and Porto upfront beside Doidgerino and we will blow them away with our long ball game

Bring back the slope
I am sure a foreign manager said he was expecting a long ball game against the Tornadoes.

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-08-2021, 08:31 AM

And Blooter for a sub

Punt and Grunt up front.

Fergus52
04-08-2021, 08:32 AM
Really surprised at the number of people advocating for playing Murphy at wing back.

Playing an ageing, relatively slow, right footed left forward who was never great defensively at left wing back, against a team who have pacey direct wingers who have great crossing and long shooting, would be a complete disaster. We'd get destroyed down that side - dragging Hanlon out of position and leaving big gaps in the middle.

Thankfully there's absolutely zero chance Ross will line us up like that :greengrin

PatHead
04-08-2021, 08:35 AM

Wonder if any of our fans pretended to be a Brora fan before their biggest game last season?

wookie70
04-08-2021, 08:44 AM
Hopefully the thread title throws off the Rijeka fan who's on the forum, in case he's scouting 😂

What are folk thinking for the starting eleven for Thursday? I'm thinking the below:

Macey
Magennis Newell
Boyle Allan Murphy
Nisbet

I'd usually suggest Goga for this type of game, but I was disappointed with him on the weekend, and KM needs to continue to start.

I'd like to see Allan starting, as he will provide us with quality in midfield to play in our pacey players should we be looking to counter Rijeka.

This would leave the below options to come on should we need it/see out a 5-0 victory 😁:

Allan and Murphy without Gogic would make us too easy to attack. Gogic had one bad game and has been very good so far this season. I like Newell but he isn't as good lying deep. I'm not a Murphy fan and thought he was poor on Sunday making the wrong runs, defensively very poor and making bad decisions when he did get the ball.

I'd go

Macey
Gogic Doyle-Hayes
Boyle Magennis Mackay
Nisbet

NorthNorfolkHFC
04-08-2021, 08:52 AM
Hopefully the thread title throws off the Rijeka fan who's on the forum, in case he's scouting [emoji23]

Macey
Magennis Newell
Boyle Allan Murphy
Nisbet

This would leave the below options to come on should we need it/see out a 5-0 victory [emoji16]:

Not Allan for me. We’ll be overwhelmed.

Magennis and Doyle Hayes should start, not sure who else in with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

flash
04-08-2021, 09:06 AM
Incredible people have teams without Newall. He is the man that everything goes through.

J-C
04-08-2021, 09:17 AM
Unfortunately we have no one who can take over for McGinn right now as I feel he's been poor so far this season and was the same the last 4-5 games of last season. Newell is a show pony and slows the game down when played deeper, always looks to go backwards or play the 3 yard safe option pass. Gogic was brutal on sunday and although he's had decent games for us he's now showing his severe limitations as a footballer, we need better if we want to move forward.

Macey

McGinn
Porteous
Hanlon
Stevenson

Magennis
Doyle Hayes

Boyle
Allan
Mackay

Nisbet.

dangermouse
04-08-2021, 09:20 AM
Incredible people have teams without Newall. He is the man that everything goes through.

I think Newell is still suspended after his straight red card.

swordin3
04-08-2021, 09:26 AM
Unfortunately we have no one who can take over for McGinn right now as I feel he's been poor so far this season and was the same the last 4-5 games of last season. Newell is a show pony and slows the game down when played deeper, always looks to go backwards or play the 3 yard safe option pass. Gogic was brutal on sunday and although he's had decent games for us he's now showing his severe limitations as a footballer, we need better if we want to move forward.

Macey

McGinn
Porteous
Hanlon
Stevenson

Magennis
Doyle Hayes

Boyle
Allan
Mackay

Nisbet.
Yeah I agree with your point regards Newell that's exactly what he does which is fine when you are 3- 0 up but he does the same when we are drawing or getting beat.He would be a better player if he was more positive and beleived in himself more.

HendoDelivered
04-08-2021, 09:27 AM
Macey

McGinn
Hanlon
Porto

Boyle
Magennis
Allan
Doyle Hayes
Murphy

Doidge
Nisbet

bingo70
04-08-2021, 09:28 AM
I’d be tempted to go 3-5-2 to start the game. They’ll be a decent side and we need to make sure we don’t concede soft goals like we did on Sunday.

I’d go

Macey

Mcginn
Porto
Hanlon

Boyle
Magennis
Gogic or JDH (not sure on that one)
Newell
Stevenson

Doidge
Nisbet

Imo we are far more of a threat with 2 up front. Problem with this formation is Boyle being far less effective when starting from deeper, if Mcginn plays well though and the system is fluid then Boyle should still be able to get up the park.

Murphy a good sub to be able to bring on as well.

Tyler Durden
04-08-2021, 09:42 AM

Macey

McGinn
Porteous
Hanlon
Stevenson

Magennis
Doyle Hayes

Boyle
Allan
Mackay

Nisbet.

We'll go with players who are fit and also experience will play a part IMO. I can't see any chance of Allan or McKay starting tbh.

Newell was excellent in the 2nd half on Sunday and has typically done well against the Old Firm in our tougher games. Not a chance he misses out.

Although Murphy was fairly poor at the weekend, he's one of the most experienced players and I'd be surprised if he doesn't start. I think it will be the same team that started vs Motherwell. Would be slightly disappointing if we can't find a place for Doidge but I think he'll be on the bench again.

flash
04-08-2021, 09:47 AM
I think Newell is still suspended after his straight red card.

Not sure.

J-C
04-08-2021, 09:54 AM
We'll go with players who are fit and also experience will play a part IMO. I can't see any chance of Allan or McKay starting tbh.

Newell was excellent in the 2nd half on Sunday and has typically done well against the Old Firm in our tougher games. Not a chance he misses out.

Although Murphy was fairly poor at the weekend, he's one of the most experienced players and I'd be surprised if he doesn't start. I think it will be the same team that started vs Motherwell. Would be slightly disappointing if we can't find a place for Doidge but I think he'll be on the bench again.

That was the team I would go for and not the team I expect Ross to choose, big difference.

makaveli1875
04-08-2021, 09:55 AM

Macey

McGinn
Porteous
Hanlon
Stevenson

Magennis
Doyle Hayes

Boyle
Allan
Mackay

Nisbet.

That's the 1

JohnM1875
04-08-2021, 10:01 AM

Macey

McGinn
Porteous
Hanlon
Stevenson

Magennis
Doyle Hayes

Boyle
Allan
Mackay

Nisbet.

100% would be the team I'd play as well. Like the look fo it. But I'd be majorly surprised if Newell and Gogic don't start.

Fergus52
04-08-2021, 10:12 AM
I’d be tempted to go 3-5-2 to start the game. They’ll be a decent side and we need to make sure we don’t concede soft goals like we did on Sunday.

I’d go

Macey

Mcginn
Porto
Hanlon

Boyle
Magennis
Gogic or JDH (not sure on that one)
Newell
Stevenson

Doidge
Nisbet

Imo we are far more of a threat with 2 up front. Problem with this formation is Boyle being far less effective when starting from deeper, if Mcginn plays well though and the system is fluid then Boyle should still be able to get up the park.

Murphy a good sub to be able to bring on as well.

Like this team,

If we go 352 with Boyle on one side it needs to be Stevenson at left wing back.

wookie70
04-08-2021, 11:01 AM

Did you watch the Motherwell game. Doyle-Hayes took that role and looked far busier and looked ideal in that spot. I like Newell further forward but Magennis was excellent in that spot so I would go for him in the central more forward midfield role.

bigwheel
04-08-2021, 11:23 AM

I’m agreeing with this ..more importantly Ross does too . Newall, when fit , plays. Ross clearly rated him highly .

JohnM1875
04-08-2021, 11:34 AM
I’m agreeing with this ..more importantly Ross does too . Newall, when fit , plays. Ross clearly rated him highly .

We've signed Magennis and Doyle-Hayes so he clearly rates them as well.

I actually think Newell had a good game on Sunday against 'Well. But Newell is often too negative for me. Yeah he drops deep to get the ball, but you lose count the amount of times he just fires it back to Hanlon or Porto rather than turning and trying to find a forward pass.

I do think both Newell and Gogic will start on Thursday though.

bigwheel
04-08-2021, 11:38 AM
We've signed Magennis and Doyle-Hayes so he clearly rates them as well.

I actually think Newell had a good game on Sunday against 'Well. But Newell is often too negative for me. Yeah he drops deep to get the ball, but you lose count the amount of times he just fires it back to Hanlon or Porto rather than turning and trying to find a forward pass.

I do think both Newell and Gogic will start on Thursday though.

I thought Newall had a poor first half on Sunday . But was a big player for us in the second half .

I think Ross sees Newall as one of his main guys .

Like the look of both Magennis and JDH this season too

theonlywayisup
04-08-2021, 11:44 AM
I thought Newell was poor the 1st half and I would have been happy to see him subbed. But he was a different player in the 2nd half, being much more direct and aggressive.

Anyway, is he not suspended for Thursday.

JimBHibees
04-08-2021, 06:34 PM
I thought Newell was poor the 1st half and I would have been happy to see him subbed. But he was a different player in the 2nd half, being much more direct and aggressive.

Anyway, is he not suspended for Thursday.

Is Newell suspended I see the Hibs website seems to think so. Why is he surely not? If a two game ban wtf did we not appeal?

https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/matches/hibernian-v-hnk-rijeka

Billy Whizz
04-08-2021, 06:39 PM
Is Newell suspended I see the Hibs website seems to think so. Why is he surely not? If a two game ban wtf did we not appeal?

https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/matches/hibernian-v-hnk-rijeka

https://documents.uefa.com/r/Regulations-of-the-UEFA-Europa-Conference-League-2021/22/Article-51-UEFA-Disciplinary-Regulations-Online

Article 52.01 says a one game ban for a red card

JimBHibees
04-08-2021, 07:02 PM
https://documents.uefa.com/r/Regulations-of-the-UEFA-Europa-Conference-League-2021/22/Article-51-UEFA-Disciplinary-Regulations-Online

That's what I thought and Hibs would surely have appealed if more than one game so surprised Hibs are saying he is suspended. Also saw an een article saying Hibs weren't appealing as it would have put at risk this game if lost appeal. Assume he is ok to play as would be a significant loss.

J-C
04-08-2021, 08:08 PM

In case of serious offences, the UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body is entitled to augment this punishment, including by extending it to other competitions.

If the red was deemed serious enough the ban could be extended.

Ronniekirk
04-08-2021, 09:59 PM
In case of serious offences, the UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body is entitled to augment this punishment, including by extending it to other competitions.

If the red was deemed serious enough the ban could be extended.

But the tv showed he didn’t touch the player Would be a nonsense if he was banned fir a second game when tv footage is available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duffers
04-08-2021, 10:26 PM
Yes, I am looking, but not an expert for Hibs players so....:greengrin

We still did not have a press conference so I do not know about current squad status, who is eligible to play and who is not.

I expect that we will start like against Dinamo, some variation of 3-5-2. Perhaps we will make some changes in midfield, we have some new players who are now registered.

Also, do not expect Murić to start in first 11.

Who will start at left back?

Rijeka fan
05-08-2021, 07:46 AM

Andrija Vukčević for sure. Merkhulov stayed in Rijeka and Jurišić is to green.

J-C
05-08-2021, 07:55 AM
But the tv showed he didn’t touch the player Would be a nonsense if he was banned fir a second game when tv footage is available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes we know he didn't touch the guy but he was slightly out of control when he flew in, the ref might have seen that as excessive hence the straight red, not a clue why Hibs didn't appeal the red.

Callum_62
05-08-2021, 08:18 AM
Allan's not a starter for me at the moment

Only question mark is Gogic or JDH

Happy with same side as against Motherwell outside that

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Steve88
05-08-2021, 08:40 AM

This for me.

I think Gogic will be given the chance to prove himself in this game. If he doesn't step it up then JDH comes on.

I also think KM is better behind the strikers (in place of newell) but I also prefer KM sitting more as a DM over Newell.

Decisions decisions...:cb

superfurryhibby
05-08-2021, 08:45 AM

Doig should play.

He's our player and unless a move is very close to completion, then he should be starting ahead of Stevenson. This is a big game and we need our best players on the pitch.

Aside from that JDH has earned a start in midfield with Newel being suspended.

I'd be going with Nisbet up front and Boyle and Murphy out on the flanks.

King Cosell
05-08-2021, 08:52 AM
We need to win by a couple of goals. We need McGregor, we need legs in midfield, we need pace wide and we need 2 up front.

Macey

Porteous
McGregor
Hanlon

Boyle
JDH
Newell
Magennis
Doig

Doidge
Nisbet

bingo70
05-08-2021, 08:56 AM

Do you not think we look a far more dangerous side when starting with 2 up front?

I think we need to get Doidge on, technical continental defenders don’t like forwards like him a lot of the time although the Rijeka fan on here might correct me on that, plus he’s a goal threat as well as offering great help at defensive set pieces.

On top of that Nisbet is far better playing as a two.

If we are going to go through this tie I suspect we’ll need to win tonight and that means going for it from the start.

Stuart93
05-08-2021, 09:13 AM
Do you not think we look a far more dangerous side when starting with 2 up front?

I think we need to get Doidge on, technical continental defenders don’t like forwards like him a lot of the time although the Rijeka fan on here might correct me on that, plus he’s a goal threat as well as offering great help at defensive set pieces.

If we are going to go through this tie I suspect we’ll need to win tonight and that means going for it from the start.

I agree, doidge has to start. Don’t think nisbet is as effective up there on his own either.

Peevemor
05-08-2021, 09:16 AM

Certainly last season neither Doidge nor Nisbet looked very effective on their own, but in saying that the central midfielders weren't chipping in with many goals.

Allan and/or Magennis might change the need to play 2 up front - we'll probably find out at some point.

Brightside
05-08-2021, 09:30 AM
I read earlier that Newall is still suspended? I assumed he had a one game ban?

Brightside
05-08-2021, 09:32 AM
Macey

McGinn Porto. Hanlon

Boyle. JDH Gogic Kyle Stevenson

Niz. Doidge.

WhileTheChief..
05-08-2021, 09:38 AM
I'd love to see McGregor play but I don't see any changes to the back 4 being made.

Macey

McGinn, Hanlon, Porteous, Stevenson

Boyle, Magennis, Doyle-Hayes, Murphy

Doidge, Nisbet

Billy Whizz
05-08-2021, 11:03 AM
I read earlier that Newall is still suspended? I assumed he had a one game ban?

Hibs have put a preview up this morning, and Newell being out isn’t mentioned

Tambo
05-08-2021, 11:37 AM
Any winning result will do us, as long as we are still in the tie come the second leg.

ian cruise
05-08-2021, 12:16 PM
Hibs have put a preview up this morning, and Newell being out isn’t mentioned

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-make-joe-newell-red-card-decision-after-weighing-up-appeal-3321199%3famp

Definitely out as the red wasn't appealed. They made just decided to focus on who was playing?

CapitalGreen
05-08-2021, 12:20 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-make-joe-newell-red-card-decision-after-weighing-up-appeal-3321199%3famp

Definitely out as the red wasn't appealed. They made just decided to focus on who was playing?

That article says he is not suspended. He was only suspended for the away leg of the previous round so is available for selection tonight.

nonshinyfinish
05-08-2021, 12:20 PM

Is there confirmation that his suspension was extended to two games though?

That article just confirms that we didn't appeal and includes the same assumption that a lot of us have made – that it was a one game ban so he'd be back for today's game.

MacBean
05-08-2021, 12:22 PM

if you read the column you've posted it says the below. reference to return leg is the away game v Santa Coloma.

"It means the gutted Englishman will sit out next week’s return leg but he will be clear for selection should his team-mates see the job through and, as expected, book a place in the next round, where they will play the winners of the head-to head between Croatian side HNK Rijeka or Malta’s Gzira United. Rijeka lead 2-0 after the first leg."

hibsbollah
05-08-2021, 12:23 PM
Doidge and Nisbet together

MacBean
05-08-2021, 12:33 PM
Article 52 Yellow and red cards • Regulations of the UEFA Europa Conference League • Reader • UEFA Documents (https://documents.uefa.com/r/Regulations-of-the-UEFA-Europa-Conference-League-2021/22/Article-52-Yellow-and-red-cards-Online)

This also seems to suggest just a 1-match ban

As a rule, a player or a team official sent off from the field of play and/or its immediate surrounds, including the technical area, is automatically suspended for the next match in a UEFA club competition (i.e. UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League, UEFA Europa Conference League or UEFA Super Cup). In case of serious offences, the UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body is entitled to augment this punishment, including by extending it to other competitions.

ian cruise
05-08-2021, 12:35 PM
That article says he is not suspended. He was only suspended for the away leg of the previous round so is available for selection tonight.

So he was, I'm being dense! Apologies

ian cruise
05-08-2021, 12:36 PM
if you read the column you've posted it says the below. reference to return leg is the away game v Santa Coloma.

"It means the gutted Englishman will sit out next week’s return leg but he will be clear for selection should his team-mates see the job through and, as expected, book a place in the next round, where they will play the winners of the head-to head between Croatian side HNK Rijeka or Malta’s Gzira United. Rijeka lead 2-0 after the first leg."

Yup, I was forgetting it was a card in the first game and we've played a game since. My bad.

Since452
05-08-2021, 12:38 PM
These guys are no mugs but then neither are we. If we perform as well as we did against Rangers and Celtic last season we'll beat them. Need everyone to be at their best.

Stuart93
05-08-2021, 12:41 PM
These guys are no mugs but then neither are we. If we perform as well as we did against Rangers and Celtic last season we'll beat them. Need everyone to be at their best.

Agreed. I reckon we need to go for it tonight. I’d potentially look at having JDH in instead of gogic

Since452
05-08-2021, 01:07 PM
Agreed. I reckon we need to go for it tonight. I’d potentially look at having JDH in instead of gogic

Yeah i think we need a win tonight in all honesty. So would i. Keep Gogic for the return leg.

Callum_62
05-08-2021, 01:14 PM
SSN saying Newell is available

hibbysam
05-08-2021, 01:31 PM
Newell has to be in the team for his ball retention. We can’t keep giving the ball away tonight. He also covers a lot of ground defensively. I would also imagine they will play with 3 central midfielders as most teams do now, so no way can we play 4-4-2 against that otherwise we will get picked off. Match them up and expect everyone to be at it.

superfurryhibby
05-08-2021, 01:40 PM

Their recent European records doesn’t give me any great confidence that we’ll beat them. However, we are a capable side when at our best and if we play to our abilities then we have a fighting chance.

I expect them to be technically better, so it’s about Ross’s game plan and tactical approaches.

Stuart93
05-08-2021, 01:49 PM
Their recent European records doesn’t give me any great confidence that we’ll beat them. However, we are a capable side when at our best and if we play to our abilities then we have a fighting chance.

I expect them to be technically better, so it’s about Ross’s game plan and tactical approaches.

Jack Ross’ game plan and tactical approaches!? AW NAW

Smartie
05-08-2021, 02:01 PM
I still find us to inconsistent to be confident about making any sort of prediction, positive or negative.

We've got it in us to play to a very high standard, both in defence and attack. We've got it in us to fall out of games, to start poorly, or for any part of our team to play well below what it is capable of any given time.

It has to be said though - that is still several levels above the generally pish level we've been at for much of my time following Hibs, where we'd probably expect to lose this tie.

It's great to be there, and it's great to have at least a hope of winning.