PDA

View Full Version : Knock-On Effect of Doig Sale

hibby rae
02-08-2021, 08:21 AM
If we get a hefty chunk for Doig, which I see could be at least £4m according to the papers with a bidding war.

Does this make us more likely to keep Porto, Nisbet and Boyle (I know he has a transfer clause)?

Unless we get an insane offer in for them, surely we are in an amazing position to reject all bids at this stage in the season.

One of the big fears was we could lose these players and, despite being in a very healthy financial position, we would lose our ability to properly compete in 21/22.

Does the Doig sale mean that could be it in terms of outgoing and negate a necessity for further sales?

Also, although financially our most valuable asset, is Doig also the player the team can afford to lose the most out of them all? I'd say so, so fantastic business overall.

Juice-Terry
02-08-2021, 08:27 AM
If we get a hefty chunk for Doig, which I see could be at least £4m according to the papers with a bidding war.

Does this make us more likely to keep Porto, Nisbet and Boyle (I know he has a transfer clause)?

Unless we get an insane offer in for them, surely we are in an amazing position to reject all bids at this stage in the season.

One of the big fears was we could lose these players and, despite being in a very healthy financial position, we would lose our ability to properly compete in 21/22.

Does the Doig sale mean that could be it in terms of outgoing and negate a necessity for further sales?

Also, although financially our most valuable asset, is Doig also the player the team can afford to lose the most out of them all? I'd say so, so fantastic business overall.

I think the knock-on effect is - at least - that we can hold out for BIG money for Porteous and Nisbet.....

easty
02-08-2021, 08:29 AM
I don’t think it makes us any more likely or unlikely to keep anyone.

We’re not out there actively trying to sell any of our players, but if teams come in for anyone else, and offer us good price we’ll still sell.

hibbysam
02-08-2021, 08:33 AM

I’d hope we can get Martin to sign a new deal for more money with a bigger release clause (if he insists on one).

neil7908
02-08-2021, 08:35 AM
Nisbet is the one I'm still braced to lose as given the stuff last January, I'm presuming he still wants away. If that's the case and a suitable bid comes in it'll be tough (although not impossible) for the club to say no.

If we want to, I'd really hope we can keep Porto and Boyle.

MWHIBBIES
02-08-2021, 08:38 AM
Think Hibs have made it clear they're not for sale. Speculation for all 3 has stopped.

hibee1875
02-08-2021, 08:40 AM
It’s a massive long shot however I’d like to think that if we can get into the group stage in Europe all of the players would want to stay for a crack at that.

After that I’d be happy for them all to go. They’ll have had given their dues and made a lot of money for the club.

matty_f
02-08-2021, 08:48 AM
I think the knock on effect will be in the quality of player we bring in, in a very positive sense.

Dalianwanda
02-08-2021, 08:49 AM
Club have been pretty clear in what they are trying to do (become attractive to up & coming players to develop, sell on & then reinvest the cash)..Ron also said one possible two could go. Hopefully its just one but for once in as long as I can remember I have confidence what ever is done is done for the good of the footballing side of the club. I dont want to see any go but I feel comfortable that they will only go for a price thats good for us & that who ever they will bring in will be to raise the standard of the team and not just keep it where it is.

The Spaceman
02-08-2021, 08:53 AM
Nisbet is the one I'm still braced to lose as given the stuff last January, I'm presuming he still wants away. If that's the case and a suitable bid comes in it'll be tough (although not impossible) for the club to say no.

To be fair on Nisbet he was quite quick and keen to say he was perfectly happy staying at Hibs as well. It was his agent who apparently strongly encouraged the request. Since then he has also been capped by Scotland and got to play in the Euros every game - I think that will have settled him down a lot as maybe in January he was also thinking a move would propel him into Steve Clarke’s thoughts.

jeffers
02-08-2021, 08:56 AM
Think Hibs have made it clear they're not for sale. Speculation for all 3 has stopped.

Unfortunately not a lot we can do if someone matches Boyle’s release clause. Can’t believe there are no clubs down south who won’t take a punt on him at that price.

007 Mickey Weir
02-08-2021, 09:31 AM
I think getting Boyle on a new contract. He will be really hard to replace. Get McCart in. Get a replacement LB. Get Mueller in now.

Nisbet is a difficult one. I think he will go. Not sure who we would replace him with. Shankland maybe. But he is a different kind of player.

MWHIBBIES
02-08-2021, 09:34 AM
Unfortunately not a lot we can do if someone matches Boyle’s release clause. Can’t believe there are no clubs down south who won’t take a punt on him at that price.

Yeah, if Boyle actually has a clause and it is still active, then he could go. Other 2 will be staying.

hibby rae
02-08-2021, 09:38 AM
I think getting Boyle on a new contract. He will be really hard to replace. Get McCart in. Get a replacement LB. Get Mueller in now.

Nisbet is a difficult one. I think he will go. Not sure who we would replace him with. Shankland maybe. But he is a different kind of player.

I think they are different but not massively so. Shankland does also do a bit of work for the team, just if he came to Hibs he would be expected to do more than he does for United. Shankland would probably be the best for us to move for, and would also allow him a chance at progression.

But that is true of any player moving up a step, and maybe one of the reasons some players e.g. Liam Craig, aren't great for us but are for teams traditionally seen to be below us, less pressure and not expected to be able to add to their game. But I digress from the topic here!

No LBs spring to mind for targetting, but I would expect Hibs to have been planning for this for a year now.

WestStandWillie
02-08-2021, 09:38 AM
Worried someone is gonna take Boyle late in the transfer window via the release clause. He's making us tick the noo.

Dr What If?
02-08-2021, 09:53 AM
To be fair on Nisbet he was quite quick and keen to say he was perfectly happy staying at Hibs as well. It was his agent who apparently strongly encouraged the request. Since then he has also been capped by Scotland and got to play in the Euros every game - I think that will have settled him down a lot as maybe in January he was also thinking a move would propel him into Steve Clarke’s thoughts.

Problem with this kind of chat is we don't actually know what Nisbet's main motivating factor is. If its simply to play at a higher level then not much we can do....can't magically improve the quality of Scottish football. If its money then the Doig cash would help to a degree, if someone comes along offering to quadruple his pay then we will struggle.
On the flip side if he is looking for regular football and security then we can offer that, if its to get into the Scotland squad we have proved playing for us will do that, if he wants to improve then we can help there too.....if he wants medals then he should sign for St Johnstone :greengrin

duffers
02-08-2021, 09:58 AM
Boyle is the one we would get the least amount of money for, but the hardest one to replace. I’d actually go as far as saying he’s irreplaceable. Whap a new contract down where we aren’t likely to lose him for a pittance

Greenio
02-08-2021, 10:04 AM
Im 90% resigned to the fact Nisbet is going. I know folk are saying it was he agent that pushed for the move last Jan (which is what they are there to do), but I feel he would have still have had to green light it. It didn't happen then but I have no doubt his ambitions have only gotten bigger since then, and he was prob told to sit tight in Jan and he'd get this move in the summer.

Making half of this up as we all are. But yeah, in my mind he got to close to leaving last time not for it to happen now

Shame, but yet more bags for reinvestment. That's how clubs like hibs should be operating

Dalianwanda
02-08-2021, 10:06 AM
Boyle is the one we would get the least amount of money for, but the hardest one to replace. I’d actually go as far as saying he’s irreplaceable. Whap a new contract down where we aren’t likely to lose him for a pittance

Im guessing the only way he would have signed that previous contract is if that clause was in just in case a better offer came in.

Wakeyhibee
02-08-2021, 10:13 AM
Whilst it puts us in a great position, I'm not confident it will be the only one. Some of this may go towards the undoubted loss we will have made last year, some may go back into the other projects that were shelved ie Jumbotron etc.

We'll see but at least Hibs are now getting more value from the EPL/Championship.

Dmas
02-08-2021, 10:13 AM

I think we’ve a security blanket in mueller coming if we lose Boyle, also Chris Cadden if he’s ever fit again.

I think getting the money quoted for doig will put us in a great position we’ll be pretty much back to pre pandemic cash levels when our competition are still to cut costs etc, saw a tweet from Stefan Bienkowski this morning saying if we received £5m that would cover 75% of the wage bill and it’s more than we’ve brought in in the last 4 windows combined, it’s huge for us and to think we have another player who could well go for the same amount or more puts us in a right good place (so long as we recruit well to replace)

Smartie
02-08-2021, 10:15 AM
Worried someone is gonna take Boyle late in the transfer window via the release clause. He's making us tick the noo.

I saw a few comments yesterday about the Doig stuff happening being "awful timing".

I mean - I'd argue the opposite. We have a competent deputy who all the players know well who can slot in almost seamlessly. We've then still got a month to sort out a replacement for Doig, if we even want to sign one.

The sort of situation you describe, where we lose Nisbet, Boyle or Porteous, would be potentially catastrophic if the timing of the move was too late in the window for us to get an adequate replacement lined up. It would be highly unlikely we'd be in a position to have done anything overly proactive about it at that stage, and finding anything close to an adequate replacement for Boyle for the fee his release clause would generate would be very challenging indeed.

WhileTheChief..
02-08-2021, 10:17 AM

I still think Celtic will come in for Nisbet, probably in the last few days of the window.

If he’s going, I hope it’s sooner rather than later but gut feeling is we’ll keep him until next summer.

Hibs4185
02-08-2021, 10:20 AM
I think it all depends on what happens with our Euro campaign. If it looks promising after Thursday, it makes sense to keep our best players to give us the best chance of reaching the group stages. I’d imagine the players would want to stay to be involved and put themselves on an even bigger stage .

If we get pumped, you might find Boyle, Nisbet and Porteous having their head turned a little by late offers.

JimboHibs
02-08-2021, 10:21 AM

Thays not factually correct,obviously we are gonna say they are not for sale especially as the 3 have had interest from other clubs.Ideally none will leave my own thoughts are that Nisbet will move on fairly soon , I reckon we will recieve an offer we can't refuse.

Pretty Boy
02-08-2021, 10:26 AM
With perhaps 2 or 3 exceptions every club in the world is a selling club. If the price is right for any player then they will go.

Hibs may say Boyle, Porteous and Nisbet aren't for sale and we might not be actively trying to flog them but if an offer of £3m came in tomorrow then it would be considered and, with a little bit of negotiation, more than likely accepted. I don't think Doig going in the coming days has any influence on that at all.

We are now arguably in a better position than before to replace these players albeit there will be financial issues from the last 18 months to be shored up. With the sale of any player there is a risk that they are not replaced with comparable quality, that is most obvious with someone like John McGinn who was to all intents and purposes irreplaceable because of the level of performance he had reached. I'm not sure we are in that position with any of the 3 players named, all of them are good players but I'm sceptical any are ready to walk straight into an EPL starting 11.

Northernhibee
02-08-2021, 10:28 AM
I really like how Jack Ross is dealing with this - if we’re to lose Doig, it’s this week. Time to replace and reinvest. We’re not going to be screwed around.

WhileTheChief..
02-08-2021, 10:33 AM
Nice to know that we won't just sell as soon as a bid comes in.

I can't help but think that if RG hadn't taken over, we'd have sold Josh for a fraction of what we're asking for. We wouldn't even have had the balls to ask for so much!

H18 SFR
02-08-2021, 10:34 AM
I’d like us to use the money to ensure Boyle and Nisbet don’t leave.

Then I’d get Mueller in now and be bold and go for Shankland.

Attacking combo of Mueller - Shankland - Nisbet - Boyle

Jim44
02-08-2021, 10:46 AM
I’d like us to use the money to ensure Boyle and Nisbet don’t leave.

Then I’d get Mueller in now and be bold and go for Shankland.

Attacking combo of Mueller - Shankland - Nisbet - Boyle

I don’t think it’s as simple as that. I don’t know the ins and outs of it, but, with their draft system involved, it’s not a case of chucking a few quid on the table and saying ‘we’ll have him now, thanks very much.’

jacomo
02-08-2021, 10:52 AM

Replacing good players is always difficult for us. We want to keep as many of them as possible.

Luckily Ron knows this too. Other clubs can either meet our valuations or they can bolt.

Steve88
02-08-2021, 10:58 AM
Doig's big money sale will also give a number of other key players the itch.. ie, it'll have them thinking about their big pay day move..

This is the negative impact of such a big money move for a guy who has only played one season

Col2
02-08-2021, 11:08 AM
I think it will provide the funding and cash flow to fund:-

- centre half - likely McCart
- Mueller - get it done now not Jan
- Striker - most difficult position but would also mitigate Nisbet going. Shankland would be a great signing but I can’t see it.

Therefore not only would squad be stronger but would mitigate late departure:-
- Boyle with Mueller in.
- Nisbet with new striker in and Mueller ability to play up front t
- Porto with day McCart and then another centre half say Jason Kerr

Boyle leaving would be the biggest impact and unfortunately we have the least amount of control assuming buy out correct.

A big fee would also compensate for the losses last year and is good business. It would also give us flex in Jan window probably more than most teams.

Irish_Steve
02-08-2021, 11:20 AM

But just because someone matches the clause, it doesn`t mean he will automatically go, just means it`s an option surely. Mind you, if someone offers him bigger wages, I can`t see Martin turning it down (I wouldn`t either but never going to be in that position lol)

weecounty hibby
02-08-2021, 11:21 AM
I'm just not seeing what some see in Shankland. He has looked average at best for utd. He certainly wouldn't get in the team before Nisbet or Doidge and if we were looking at a replacement for Nisbet there is no doubt in my mind that he would be a big step down quality wise.

Billy Whizz
02-08-2021, 11:23 AM

- Striker - most difficult position but would also mitigate Nisbet going. Shankland would be a great signing but I can’t see it.

- Boyle with Mueller in.

Boyle leaving would be the biggest impact and unfortunately we have the least amount of control assuming buy out correct.

A big fee would also compensate for the losses last year and is good business. It would also give us flex in Jan window probably more than most teams.

Remember we’ll need a left back too!

jeffers
02-08-2021, 11:25 AM
But just because someone matches the clause, it doesn`t mean he will automatically go, just means it`s an option surely. Mind you, if someone offers him bigger wages, I can`t see Martin turning it down (I wouldn`t either but never going to be in that position lol)

No it doesn’t, he’d have to want to go for sure, but I’d expect he would get offered higher wages. Couldn’t blame him if he left, he’s been brilliant for us. Of the players being linked with moves away I’d want to lose him least of all.

Ronniekirk
02-08-2021, 11:26 AM

Would be a huge loss irreplaceable when on form

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erin go bragh
02-08-2021, 11:27 AM
Doig's big money sale will also give a number of other key players the itch.. ie, it'll have them thinking about their big pay day move..

This is the negative impact of such a big money move for a guy who has only played one season
Only way they will get a move is to play out of their skin every game , which only helps us get better results, so as much of a positive rather than a negative

jeffers
02-08-2021, 11:28 AM
I'm just not seeing what some see in Shankland. He has looked average at best for utd. He certainly wouldn't get in the team before Nisbet or Doidge and if we were looking at a replacement for Nisbet there is no doubt in my mind that he would be a big step down quality wise.

Not seen a lot of Shankland admittedly, but the replay at ER he scored a brilliant goal, real touch of class. Not saying we are even interested in him, but the chances we create I think he’d do really well.

Hibbyradge
02-08-2021, 11:30 AM
Nice to know that we won't just sell as soon as a bid comes in.

I can't help but think that if RG hadn't taken over, we'd have sold Josh for a fraction of what we're asking for. We wouldn't even have had the balls to ask for so much!

That's certainly wasn't the experience with SJM or Brown and Thomson previously.

Irish_Steve
02-08-2021, 11:30 AM
No it doesn’t, he’d have to want to go for sure, but I’d expect he would get offered higher wages. Couldn’t blame him if he left, he’s been brilliant for us. Of the players being linked with moves away I’d want to lose him least of all.

I suppose it may depend on who comes in for him.

Remember, we have our own clause, Racheal may not want to move down south!!

JXM73
02-08-2021, 11:33 AM
If he goes for £4M

Left back - young and ambitious
Centre back - experienced but under 25
Striker - young and ambitious

neil7908
02-08-2021, 11:35 AM
I'm a bit confused by the desire to get Shankland in from some. Has has done enough in the SPL to warrant us spending what would be a huge transfer fee, and then presumably massive wages?

I don't think he's worth it. One of the things I've been impressed by Nisbet is his touch, ability in the air and general work rate. I thought he was just a goal scorer but he's got a lot to his point game. I'm not sure we create enough chances to allow someone like Shankland to thrive.

neil7908
02-08-2021, 11:39 AM
With perhaps 2 or 3 exceptions every club in the world is a selling club. If the price is right for any player then they will go.

Hibs may say Boyle, Porteous and Nisbet aren't for sale and we might not be actively trying to flog them but if an offer of £3m came in tomorrow then it would be considered and, with a little bit of negotiation, more than likely accepted. I don't think Doig going in the coming days has any influence on that at all.

We are now arguably in a better position than before to replace these players albeit there will be financial issues from the last 18 months to be shored up. With the sale of any player there is a risk that they are not replaced with comparable quality, that is most obvious with someone like John McGinn who was to all intents and purposes irreplaceable because of the level of performance he had reached. I'm not sure we are in that position with any of the 3 players named, all of them are good players but I'm sceptical any are ready to walk straight into an EPL starting 11.

Yup. Bear in mind that right now Barcelona can't afford a contract for Messi FFS, Real Madrid have let go Varane and Ramos to balance the books and Juve can't afford a guy from Sassuolo.

We are in an excellent position financially. Credit to Petrie, STF and of course Ron.

WhileTheChief..
02-08-2021, 11:39 AM
That's certainly wasn't the experience with SJM or Brown and Thomson previously.

SJM I’ll give you but you’re going back a bit with the other 2 :greengrin

You know what I mean though. Did anyone come in for Brown or Thomson in their first season?

I know we got good money for them both but they were a lot more established than Doig when they left. Same with Kenny Miller or Steven Fletcher.

Anyways, I wasn’t having a dig at Petrie or STF, more trying to pay RG a compliment!

JimBHibees
02-08-2021, 11:41 AM

Tend to agree can't remember the last time I seen him play and thought was good. Looks slow to me to be honest and wouldn't really be a good replacement for KN imo

Ozyhibby
02-08-2021, 11:47 AM
I doubt we will go on any kind of spending spree. Appropriate small fees will be paid for young up and coming players (Nisbett, Mackay) and the rest will be used to shore up finances following Covid and reinstating the investments in the stadium (large screen, digital ribbon etc).

MWHIBBIES
02-08-2021, 11:50 AM

Yeah, the idea that Hibs have accepted first bids for players is complete rubbish

Irish_Steve
02-08-2021, 11:50 AM
I doubt we will go on any kind of spending spree. Appropriate small fees will be paid for young up and coming players (Nisbett, Mackay) and the rest will be used to shore up finances following Covid and reinstating the investments in the stadium (large screen, digital ribbon etc).

And if we do get a big fee for Josh, watch the club of any player we are interested in, bump up their prices

The_Sauz
02-08-2021, 12:11 PM
And if we do get a big fee for Josh, watch the club of any player we are interested in, bump up their prices
That's why clubs come out with the "Undisclosed Fee" :agree:

Unseen work
02-08-2021, 12:18 PM
I think unlike previous occasions, we’re really going to see the money being reinvested.

I think looking at Aberdeen they look like they’ll be good this year and have bought very well. We’ll need to push on again if we have hopes of coming third.

No doubt if we sell Doig that we’ll bring in guys like Mueller and McCart though.

My real fear is losing Nisbet/Boyle as they’d be extremely difficult to replace.

Torto7
02-08-2021, 12:22 PM
I'd try and get Boyle on a better contract without a release clause and Id also improve Nisbet's contract without asking for him to extend longer. Id love Porto to sign a new deal hes still young for a CH.

Torto7
02-08-2021, 12:24 PM
Thats when shopping in another market becomes useful. We now have the US covered, hopefully the Balkan region will come into play for us.

Col2
02-08-2021, 12:29 PM
Remember we’ll need a left back too!

Of course! Meant to put that in.

So LB, CH, Striker and Mueller early

HoboHarry
02-08-2021, 12:30 PM
Just like we would if we were going to get away with it.

Ozyhibby
02-08-2021, 12:39 PM
I'd try and get Boyle on a better contract without a release clause and Id also improve Nisbet's contract without asking for him to extend longer. Id love Porto to sign a new deal hes still young for a CH.

Why would we improve a players contract without getting anything in return? A better deal means a longer deal for me.

Callum_62
02-08-2021, 12:58 PM
I suspect we have deals agreed before we went public on Doigs impending departure

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Diclonius
02-08-2021, 01:11 PM
Yeah, the idea that Hibs have accepted first bids for players is complete rubbish

The gripe with Petrie's Hibs wasn't that we didn't sell players for a fair price, but that barely any of it was re-invested in the first team.

We're clearly seeing proportionate spending under Gordon.

J-C
02-08-2021, 01:21 PM
Boyle gets Hibs and you can see how much he loves playing for us, his attitude is similar to Gray, Daz, Lewis and Hanlon and I can see him seeing out his career here. A settled player is happy player, he plays with a smile on his face and is integral to the atmosphere in the changing room, give him a wage rise and extend his stay.

superfurryhibby
02-08-2021, 01:21 PM
Why would we improve a players contract without getting anything in return? A better deal means a longer deal for me.

TBF, the poster suggested a new and improved deal would eliminate the release clause. That is a pretty significant return for the club, as in my view, Boyle would be very difficult to replace. A longer deal would be good too.

Callum_62
02-08-2021, 01:28 PM
Boyle gets Hibs and you can see how much he loves playing for us, his attitude is similar to Gray, Daz, Lewis and Hanlon and I can see him seeing out his career here. A settled player is happy player, he plays with a smile on his face and is integral to the atmosphere in the changing room, give him a wage rise and extend his stay.I did notice his celebtration after his goal yesterday

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Peevemor
02-08-2021, 01:36 PM
I did notice his celebtration after his goal yesterday

I mentioned this on another thread, but I reckon having a large, noisy travelling supoort there yesterday really rubbed off on the team. It's the first time since last March that they've played with anything like a proper atmosphere and I think the goal & FT celebrations definitely has more spark than we've been seeing with the stands empty.

Torto7
02-08-2021, 01:44 PM

I dont think he would sign for longer but better terms and he might be happy to play out the season without thinking about moving on.

WhileTheChief..
02-08-2021, 02:24 PM

Nobody has suggested that though?

My point is that for a player who has just burst on to the scene, I'm delighted that we are asking for as much as we are.

I don't think RP would have done similar.

How do you know what RP may or may not have done in my hypothetical scenario?!

MagicSwirlingShip
02-08-2021, 02:28 PM

We took a pretty measly sum from Celtic for Stokes after his first spell with us

MWHIBBIES
02-08-2021, 02:32 PM

My point is that for a player who has just burst on to the scene, I'm delighted that we are asking for as much as we are.

I can only base it on the many, many examples of him getting great fees for players.

ian cruise
02-08-2021, 02:34 PM
We took a pretty measly sum from Celtic for Stokes after his first spell with us

Did he not have that amount written in to his contract as a clause? I'm sure I remember that discussed at the time.

WhileTheChief..
02-08-2021, 02:48 PM
I can only base it on the many, many examples of him getting great fees for players.

I can't think of a single Scottish player who has been sold for £1m plus, after only 1 season of top flight football.

Has there been one? I think Josh might be the first.

Going even further, how many Scottish under 21 year olds have sold for £1m plus? Not many I'd guess.

That we are close to getting £4m is phenomenal and not in any way par for the course when discussing Scottish transfers.

This will be an exceptional bit of business by RG.

Wakeyhibee
02-08-2021, 02:56 PM
I can't think of a single Scottish player who has been sold for £1m plus, after only 1 season of top flight football.

Going even further, how many Scottish under 21 year olds have sold for £1m plus? Not many I'd guess.

That we are close to getting £4m is phenomenal and not in any way par for the course when discussing Scottish transfers.

Kenny Miller was the only one close I can think of. 45 games. I cant remember the figure wiki has it at £2m. But outside of that the only fairish deal we got was for Brown and given his service that was a steal on today's terms.

Ozyhibby
02-08-2021, 02:58 PM
Alan Hutton?

WhileTheChief..
02-08-2021, 03:03 PM
Yeah, Miller got us a decent fee but he played 2 seasons with us before getting his move?

Miller, Brown, Thomson & Fletcher are our only £1m + sales I think.

The point I'm labouring is the fact that Josh has only played 1 season. Even Rangers and Celtic can't point to a player with that lack of experience being sold for so much.

It's fantastic and shows just how good our set up is. Our backroom staff deserve a huge amount of credit.

superfurryhibby
02-08-2021, 03:16 PM
Yeah, Miller got us a decent fee but he played 2 seasons with us before getting his move?

Miller, Brown, Thomson & Fletcher are our only £1m + sales I think.

The point I'm labouring is the fact that Josh has only played 1 season. Even Rangers and Celtic can't point to a player with that lack of experience being sold for so much.

It's fantastic and shows just how good our set up is. Our backroom staff deserve a huge amount of credit.

Murphy, O'Connor, Whittaker, Goram, Collins (?), McGinn all sold for more than a million. There must a few more?

I agree though, a multi million pound fee for Doig would be pretty rare for a Scottish player who has played for one season in the first team.

MagicSwirlingShip
02-08-2021, 03:18 PM
Did he not have that amount written in to his contract as a clause? I'm sure I remember that discussed at the time.

That might be it. I think it was about 800k. Not great

GloryGlory
02-08-2021, 03:22 PM
Murphy, O'Connor, Whittaker, Goram, Collins (?), McGinn all sold for more than a million. There must a few more?

I agree though, a multi million pound fee for Doig would be pretty rare for a Scottish player who has played for one season in the first team.

Ulises de la Cruz ISTR went for £1m+.

WhileTheChief..
02-08-2021, 03:33 PM

Going back 20+ years again in some cases!

Again, it just goes to show how good a bit of biz this could be.

Pretty Boy
02-08-2021, 03:47 PM

Hickey from Hearts was reputed to be a fee of about £1.5M.I think he was tehcnically 2 seasons but he only played about 3 games in the 1st season.

The general point is correct though. I do think Scottish clubs are getting a bit better at holding out for better prices for our players these days though (or English clubs are willing to pay more, either way it's the same end result).

hibby rae
02-08-2021, 04:09 PM
Hickey from Hearts was reputed to be a fee of about £1.5M.I think he was tehcnically 2 seasons but he only played about 3 games in the 1st season.

The general point is correct though. I do think Scottish clubs are getting a bit better at holding out for better prices for our players these days though (or English clubs are willing to pay more, either way it's the same end result).

Don't underestimate the Brexit factor too. Scotland has become a better market for them to shop now, and the increased demand can only be beneficial to clubs prepared to play hard ball and get what they deserve. The Doig sale can set a good precedent for all Scottish clubs.

(One miniscule silver lining from an absolute **** show 🇪🇺).

04Sauzee
02-08-2021, 04:48 PM

James Scott must have only played about a seasons worth of football for Motherwell before moving to Hull for about £1.5m?

WhileTheChief..
02-08-2021, 05:09 PM
Take your word for it.

I’ll be honest, I’ve never heard of him!

Hibbyradge
02-08-2021, 05:17 PM
If he goes for £4M

Left back - young and ambitious
Centre back - experienced but under 25
Striker - young and ambitious

I'd prefer young and brilliant.

In fact, just brilliant would do me fine.

Hibbyradge
02-08-2021, 05:20 PM
The gripe with Petrie's Hibs wasn't that we didn't sell players for a fair price, but that barely any of it was re-invested in the first team.

We're clearly seeing proportionate spending under Gordon.

It was all spent on making the club what it is today. Everything was necessary and important.

Hibbyradge
02-08-2021, 05:22 PM

He knows in the same way that you do. :wink:

Hibbyradge
02-08-2021, 05:24 PM

Correct.

B.H.F.C
02-08-2021, 05:37 PM

- Boyle with Mueller in.

Don’t disagree with the three things you’ve mentioned (think it’s pretty common knowledge that’s three things we want to do anyway.

But if/when Doig is sold we need to get a left back in, otherwise that position has weakened from last year.

B.H.F.C
02-08-2021, 05:39 PM

Andy Robertson just had the one season at Dundee Utd.

Billy Whizz
02-08-2021, 05:44 PM
Andy Robertson just had the one season at Dundee Utd.

What was his fee to Hull?

WhileTheChief..
02-08-2021, 05:45 PM
:aok: Nice one.

He's in decent company!

MagicSwirlingShip
02-08-2021, 05:54 PM
What was his fee to Hull?

£2.85m in 2014 after 36 apps (wiki)

jgl07
02-08-2021, 06:02 PM
I can’t see many big English clubs lashing out large sums on a 28-year old. That will work in Hibs favour.

stu in nottingham
02-08-2021, 06:12 PM

If we're talking about the top flight, i.e. Scottish Premiership, then probably Jason Cummings would be a contender maybe? Sixteen appearance in the Scottish Premiership, three seasons at level below, then sold for a fee 'in the region of £1m' to Forest.

J-C
02-08-2021, 06:47 PM
If we're talking about the top flight, i.e. Scottish Premiership, then probably Jason Cummings would be a contender maybe? Sixteen appearance in the Scottish Premiership, three seasons at level below, then sold for a fee 'in the region of £1m' to Forest.

He went for £500k which was the buy out clause.

stu in nottingham
02-08-2021, 07:44 PM
He went for £500k which was the buy out clause.

The fee was never announced.

PatHead
02-08-2021, 07:48 PM

Did Andy Robertson play for more than 1 season for Dundee United?

truehibernian
02-08-2021, 07:49 PM

Did CWG not look at the club accounts and work out it was around half a million ?

WhileTheChief..
02-08-2021, 07:52 PM
Did Andy Robertson play for more than 1 season for Dundee United?

Yeah, BHFC called that one:aok:

My enthusiasm let me get carried away, there seems to have been a few!

CapitalGreen
02-08-2021, 07:57 PM
Lewis McLeod never played top flight and his fee was in the range of £850k-£1.3m depending on what source you believe.

PatHead
02-08-2021, 07:59 PM
Yeah, BHFC called that one:aok:

My enthusiasm let me get carried away, there seems to have been a few!

Wasn't trying to rub it in!😂

stu in nottingham
02-08-2021, 08:05 PM
Did CWG not look at the club accounts and work out it was around half a million ?

I'm not sure, and I know J-C heard it from the horse's dad's mouth :). My contact at Nottingham Forest told me it was significantly more though. Guesswork and who you believe I suppose.

Greenworld
02-08-2021, 08:36 PM
Its all good Doig going helps Hibs strenghten.
Unfortunately I think nisbet will go also for 4/ 5 million .
So we will have 10 million pounds to invest in the club I dont see any downsides or and issues [emoji106][emoji106] all is good . I have been told the alledged buy out clause for squirrel only applies to teams from outside uk .
He I my opinion is our biggest asset he makes us tick attacking wise .

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Hibbyradge
02-08-2021, 08:39 PM
I can’t see many big English clubs lashing out large sums on a 28-year old. That will work in Hibs favour.

Half a million isn't lashing out for them. Man U pay Pogba about that every week!

Jim44
02-08-2021, 11:43 PM
Its all good Doig going helps Hibs strenghten.
Unfortunately I think nisbet will go also for 4/ 5 million .
So we will have 10 million pounds to invest in the club I dont see any downsides or and issues [emoji106][emoji106] all is good . I have been told the alledged buy out clause for squirrel only applies to teams from outside uk .
He I my opinion is our biggest asset he makes us tick attacking wise .

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

£4/5M for Doig is not going to happen. He’ll be away for much less.

truehibernian
03-08-2021, 12:40 AM

I'd argue it'll be nearer those figures quoted Jim (4 or 5) or GM is going to have to do some explaining at next year's AGM :agree:

BILLYHIBS
03-08-2021, 03:59 AM
Big screens in the corners

Chips in the West Upper

Hot running water in the bogs

:greengrin

Since452
03-08-2021, 05:38 AM

I'd be very surprised if it was less or Mathie would look like a right tool.

J-C
03-08-2021, 05:44 AM

I'm good friends with his dad, he had a £500k release clause, it was well documented on here and on the PM board at the time.

JimBHibees
03-08-2021, 06:43 AM
I'd argue it'll be nearer those figures quoted Jim (4 or 5) or GM is going to have to do some explaining at next year's AGM :agree:

Don't think Hibs would consider unless it was in that bracket unless of course we are getting a player or two as part of the deal.

LeithMike
03-08-2021, 07:24 AM
I'd be very surprised if it was less or Mathie would look like a right tool.Not if we were getting bids of £1-2m before he said that and he managed to get the price up to £3-4m.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
03-08-2021, 08:09 AM
Big screens in the corners

Chips in the West Upper

Hot running water in the bogs

:greengrin

I’d prefer a roof over ER, Billy. Could make a fortune with gigs😀

AltheHibby
03-08-2021, 09:48 AM
I’d prefer a roof over ER, Billy. Could make a fortune with gigs😀

And Dr Mrs Budge could give us the benefit of her experience. All we need to do then is the opposite of what she tells us and all will be well.