Pagan Hibernia
01-08-2021, 01:18 AM
Celtic’s (league) record in Edinburgh in the last 4 years..,

played 14
won 3 (all against hearts)
drawn 6
lost 5

Appalling.

2nd spot is do-able. If we can match last season’s consistency and win a few more big games (derbys, old firm etc)

Allez Hibs
01-08-2021, 05:22 AM

played 14
drawn 6
lost 5

Appalling.

2nd spot is do-able. If we can match last season’s consistency and win a few more big games (derbys, old firm etc)

Yep, should be having a straight go at 2nd! Fully agree regarding big games.

Since452
01-08-2021, 05:29 AM
Yep, should be having a straight go at 2nd! Fully agree regarding big games.

"Big games" are fine margins. Hearts barely touched the ball last night and won a "big game" but will most likely finished bottom six and lose to St Mirren next week. Personally couldn't care less if we don't beat Rangers or Celtic and finish 3rd again. We pumped our closest rivals Aberdeen enough.

Danderhall Hibs
01-08-2021, 07:25 AM
So Celtic’s not beaten us at ER in the last 4 seasons? Were any of them big games or even “truly” big games?

As bad as they currently are we’re setting ourselves up for a fall by thinking we can get 2nd. They’ll sack the manager soon get a new one and spend - even if it’s not a lot they’ll just come and take Boyle and or Nisbet from us.

theonlywayisup
01-08-2021, 07:54 AM

played 14
drawn 6
lost 5

Appalling.

That is some stat, when you think that Celtic would eventually end up as league champions for over 75% of those games - that is only two Hibs draws from last season, plus yesterday's being the only games that they didn't (or won't).

Keith_M
01-08-2021, 08:00 AM
I'd love to think we had a chance of overtaking Celtc but we just can't compete in the money stakes, so it's not going to happen.

BS44
01-08-2021, 08:18 AM
They've already lost more league games than the Huns last season.

bod
01-08-2021, 08:38 AM
So Celtic’s not beaten us at ER in the last 4 seasons? Were any of them big games or even “truly” big games?

As bad as they currently are we’re setting ourselves up for a fall by thinking we can get 2nd. They’ll sack the manager soon get a new one and spend - even if it’s not a lot they’ll just come and take Boyle and or Nisbet from us.

Agree if it looks remotely like they won’t finish 2nd this guy will be gone , new guy in with the cheque book & raid the players pulling the string from the other top 3 clubs

hibee316
01-08-2021, 08:39 AM
We are never going to finish second.

And people who think that isn't the attitude to have as it leads to defeat, are dillusional in thinking that the attitude they have has any bearing on the result. (Unless you are a player or a coach :))

Since90+2
01-08-2021, 08:41 AM

That's the spirit.

Why can't we finish 2nd? It's this kind of mentality that I don't get from some fans. Celtic are absolutely rank, our starting 11 is as good as there's at the moment IMO. They have a huge rebuild job on their hands and with our opening 6 or 7 fixtures there's no reason we can't lay down a marker as a challenger for 2nd.

This is the worst Celtic team in 10 years, that gets thrown around a lot but it's genuinely true this season, so there's no reason why we can't challenge for 2nd. Hearts, who are pish, just beat then ffs.

Since452
01-08-2021, 08:42 AM
Talk of finishing second before we've even played our first league game worries me. Raises unrealistic expectations and puts Jack Ross on a hiding to nothing. There's no danger were finishing second. Celtic were pish last season too and still finished 14 points ahead of us. If they're toiling by January they'll go out and strengthen, possibly even from us. We only just finished 3rd for the first time in 14 years.

hibee316
01-08-2021, 08:43 AM
That's the spirit.

Why can't we finish 2nd? It's this kind of mentality that I don't get from some fans. Celtic are absolutely rank, our starting 11 is as good as there's at the moment IMO. They have a huge rebuild job on their hands and with our opening 6 or 7 fixtures there's no reason we can't lay down a marker as a challenger for 2nd.

This is the worst Celtic team in 10 years, that gets thrown around a lot but it's genuinely true this season, so there's no reason why we can't challenge for 2nd. Hearts, who are pish, just beat then ffs.

See my post above. The fans mentality as hee haw to do with where Hibs finish.

LancsHibs
01-08-2021, 08:44 AM
Anything can happen. Leicester City were not in the same money league as the likes of Chelsea, Man City, Man United etc but still went and won the EPL. Dare to dream. It is true Celtic will sack their manager and spend well more than us in January but it can be done and has been done, Hearts 2005 & Us and Motherwell 1995.
Come on Hibs let’s give it a go:thumbsup:

Danderhall Hibs
01-08-2021, 08:45 AM
That's the spirit.

We can but we need to be realistic. What happens here is when we run away with 3rd place (like last season) folk are disappointed cos we didn’t finish above Celtic.

MWHIBBIES
01-08-2021, 08:46 AM
Anything can happen. Leicester City were not in the same money league as the likes of Chelsea, Man City, Man United etc but still went and won the EPL. Dare to dream. It is true Celtic will sack their manager and spend well more than us in January but it can be done and has been done, Hearts 2005 & Us and Motherwell 1995.

I swear Leicester winning the league will still be the only example 50 years from now in posts like this.

SChibs
01-08-2021, 08:48 AM
I don't think 2nd is completely unrealistic although it would take an incredible season to achieve it. Celtic finished 14 points ahead of us last season. If we can beat them in the H2H and actually manage to overcome St Johnstone we may be in with a chance.

Pagan Hibernia
01-08-2021, 08:50 AM
They’ll get 4 hidings off the huns for starters.

already beaten by a rubbish hearts team.

Do I honestly believe we’ll finish second? No, I really don’t. Probably more to do with Hibs letting me down on countless occasions when it really matters.

is Celtic finishing outside the top 2 possible? Yes!

Since452
01-08-2021, 08:54 AM

Hibs beating Celtic to 2nd would probably be a bigger surprise than Leicester winning the EPL. They still had players on multi million pound salaries. Vardy was on 100k per week the season they won it.

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-08-2021, 09:00 AM
The reason that we won't finish second is the same reason why we didn't last season. Inconsistency. Will do and want to are conmpletely different considerations.

Since90+2
01-08-2021, 09:05 AM
The reason that we won't finish second is the same reason why we didn't last season. Inconsistency. Will do and want to are conmpletely different considerations.

Celtic are worse than last season. Their best player doesn't want to be there and will be away shortly. We are better than we were at the start of last season. I don't think it's a huge leap to consider we can at least challenge for 2nd.

Since452
01-08-2021, 09:08 AM
This place will be nuts if Motherwell beat us today. We've gone from getting our ***** handed to us at Fir Park and being relegation candidates to talk of finishing second in less than two years lol. And some of those are the ones saying they can't get excited about Jack Ross's Hibs. Mental!

Eyrie
01-08-2021, 09:50 AM
I'm more concerned that Hearts picked up an improbable three points yesterday than I am deluded into thinking Celtc might be catchable for second.

CMurdoch
01-08-2021, 10:31 AM
2nd not happening.
Celtic are rubbish at the moment and the league belongs to Rangers but our tiny transfer budget holds us below a glass ceiling.
They have just spent £12 million on 3 players and there will be more to come plus Jullian returning to central defence. This summer we bought .................a kid from Inverness for £100k and a couple of frees on relatively low wages.
Ron is trying to make money flipping cheap players and is rightly not interested in chasing 2nd in the meantime.
Only way we can close the gap is getting to the group stages in Europe every season. The pile of money that releases would allow us to start trying to flip £1 million players.

The Captain....
01-08-2021, 10:47 AM
I think in past seasons talk of second place would have seemed fanciful. This season its possible but unlikely.

Celtic are a shambles, I can see the new CEO resigning as he'll never have faced the scrutiny his position brings not just him but his family over the coming months. The lack of any sort of planning and inability to show the urgency required to support the manager (or even get one in place) will ramp up the pressure on him as Celtic continue to falter.

If, and I realise its a big if, we manage to hold on to our players until the window closes and make another couple of signings of the potential quality of Mueller I can see us having a very good season. We need to improve on our home form and maintain our excellent away performances but thats doable. Unfortuately the reality is we'll likely sell one or two of our assets so I feel its a tough ask but its not impossible imo.

Be an interesting season (other than Rangers running away with the title).

Key West
01-08-2021, 10:57 AM
In context Celtic performance wise are playing below their standards, Hearts exposed their defensive frailties though they arguably had a decent goal chalked off. In my opinion they will improve and finish second, The Rangers are still favourites with the advantage of having an extra player in every fixture.

Allez Hibs
01-08-2021, 11:01 AM
Talk of finishing second before we've even played our first league game worries me. Raises unrealistic expectations and puts Jack Ross on a hiding to nothing. There's no danger were finishing second. Celtic were pish last season too and still finished 14 points ahead of us. If they're toiling by January they'll go out and strengthen, possibly even from us. We only just finished 3rd for the first time in 14 years.

Why can't we think positively and hope that the club management and team show the same ambition?

The fans show a bit of ambition and now Jack Ross is on a hiding to nothing?

Shouldn't the club be building on last season?

Allez Hibs
01-08-2021, 11:02 AM
This place will be nuts if Motherwell beat us today. We've gone from getting our ***** handed to us at Fir Park and being relegation candidates to talk of finishing second in less than two years lol. And some of those are the ones saying they can't get excited about Jack Ross's Hibs. Mental!

We are a far better side than Motherwell and on the back of last season should be beating them.

Key West
01-08-2021, 11:04 AM
Why can't we think positively and hope that the club management and team show some ambition?

Some us are getting older and more cynical, perhaps a sense of realism has finally managed to infiltrate our hopes and expectations.:violin:

Pretty Boy
01-08-2021, 11:05 AM
I think a greater indicator of why Celtic habitually finish 1st or 2nd is their record comparative to ourselves, Hearts and Aberdeen in places like Paisley, Kilmarnock, Hamilton and Dundee.

Taking points from Celtic and Rangers is great and it's a nice wee record to have but that grinding consistency year in, year out is what wins titles. No one else in our league can afford the players to deliver that.

Andy74
01-08-2021, 11:11 AM
Why can't we think positively and hope that the club management and team show the same ambition?

The fans show a bit of ambition and now Jack Ross is on a hiding to nothing?

Shouldn't the club be building on last season?

Nothing wrong with thinking positively and having some ambition. What you’ve been doing though, which you’ve done before is build up a case to come back and be critical of everyone at the club for not achieving it.

Smartie
01-08-2021, 11:18 AM
I think a greater indicator of why Celtic habitually finish 1st or 2nd is their record comparative to ourselves, Hearts and Aberdeen in places like Paisley, Kilmarnock, Hamilton and Dundee.

Taking points from Celtic and Rangers is great and it's a nice wee record to have but that grinding consistency year in, year out is what wins titles. No one else in our league can afford the players to deliver that.

It'll often be down to the standard of defender. They'll always be miserly and not give many away.

I don't know how they've ended up here but Celtic have the worst standard of player playing in defence for them right now that they've ever had imo. Because of that, they'll be vulnerable everywhere they go. They should be vulnerable at home too, but most Scottish teams just have the fear factor to too great an extent to even think about taking a game to Celtic and attempt to put a hopeless defence under pressure in Glasgow.

They still have a sprinkling of very good players, and a handful of them actually want to be playing for Celtic. A major overhaul and some serious recruitment needs to happen though.

I'm still not convinced that Rangers are all that great, but they are a very determined and well-drilled unit. At the moment they look like they'll win the league at a canter.

We'll probably find ourselves a bit short in midfield to be able to get right in about the pair of them. It all depends on how quickly Celtic can recruit and improve and whether or not we'll be critically weakened over the next month though.