View Full Version : Pub snacks from the gods

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-07-2021, 01:41 PM
I'll start.

Golden Cross Pickled Onion rings. 😊

Pretty Boy
31-07-2021, 01:56 PM
Scampi Fries
Brannigans Roast Beef & Mustard crisps (RIP)

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-07-2021, 01:59 PM
Scampi Fries
Brannigans Roast Beef & Mustard crisps (RIP)

1st one - no thanks.
2nd one - Deffo 👏

Peevemor
31-07-2021, 02:00 PM
The best for me is the original "tap & unwrap" - a hard boiled egg, although I'm not sure any pubs still do them.

Failing that, salted peanuts mixed with either plain or cheese & onion crisps and eaten together.

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-07-2021, 02:06 PM
The best for me is the original "tap & unwrap" - a hard boiled egg, although I'm not sure any pubs still do them.

On a similar theme, did anyone ever get involved in pickled eggs? I like pickled stuff and I like eggs but, the mix of them both, can't wrap my head around it.

Peevemor
31-07-2021, 02:18 PM
On a similar theme, did anyone ever get involved in pickled eggs? I like pickled stuff and I like eggs but, the mix of them both, can't wrap my head around it.

They're certainly not my first choice, but if you brace yourself and get through the vinegar thing then they do the job.

Bangkok Hibby
31-07-2021, 02:40 PM

Used to be addicted to them, even entered a pickled egg eating contest. I'm vegan now anyway but just the thought of them turns my stomach.

Pretty Boy
31-07-2021, 02:47 PM

I quite like a pickled egg with a chippy but I'm not sure I'd fancy one with a few pints. Seems like a sure fire recipe for crippling heartburn.

calumhibee1
31-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Bacon fries

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-07-2021, 03:42 PM
Another one I can't wrap my head around, Pork Scratchings, seem to be much more popular down south.

Just Alf
31-07-2021, 03:48 PM
Another one I can't wrap my head around, Pork Scratchings, seem to be much more popular down south.I was just about to post that as my number 1!

Closed 2nd are scampi fries :agree:

Pretty Boy
31-07-2021, 04:08 PM
A decent pie in a pub is also a contender.

You don't want anything too fancy. Just a solid classic. Clarks on Dundas St used to do a cracking steak and haggis pie and the Bow Bar does a good steak as well.

Years ago when my dad packed in playing East of Scotland and Juniors he signed for his work team. When Hibs were away I used to go and watch him. The team used to drink in Leslie's on Ratcliffe Terrace and they done a cracking mince pie. Dozens of them stuck in a big wicker basket and a big bottle of brown sauce at the side.

Just Alf
31-07-2021, 04:44 PM

You don't want anything too fancy. Just a solid classic. Clarks on Dundas St used to do a cracking steak and haggis pie and the Bow Bar does a good steak as well.

Years ago when my dad packed in playing East of Scotland and Juniors he signed for his work team. When Hibs were away I used to go and watch him. The team used to drink in Leslie's on Ratcliffe Terrace and they done a cracking mince pie. Dozens of them stuck in a big wicker basket and a big bottle of brown sauce at the side.My mouth's watering at that thought :agree:

Billy Whizz
31-07-2021, 04:52 PM
Another one I can't wrap my head around, Pork Scratchings, seem to be much more popular down south.

Absolutely disgusting

Just Alf
31-07-2021, 05:05 PM
Absolutely disgusting> insert horrified smilie here! <

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-07-2021, 05:18 PM

Years ago when my dad packed in playing East of Scotland and Juniors he signed for his work team. When Hibs were away I used to go and watch him. The team used to drink in Leslie's on Ratcliffe Terrace and they done a cracking mince pie. Dozens of them stuck in a big wicker basket and a big bottle of brown sauce at the side.

Thomsons on Morrison Street sell brilliant pies.

Scouse Hibee
31-07-2021, 05:27 PM
I'll start.

Tried these recently…… tremendous

Scouse Hibee
31-07-2021, 05:30 PM
When I was a kid my Dad made his own pork scratching sandwich took them to his local every weekend, went down a storm as did his pigs trotters he also took to the pub for the locals.

Scouse Hibee
31-07-2021, 05:31 PM
When I was a kid my Dad made his own pork scratchings and took them to his local every weekend, went down a storm as did his pigs trotters he also took to the pub for the locals.

Scouse Hibee
31-07-2021, 05:32 PM
Chilli coated peanuts or chilli rice crackers are my favourites

pollution
31-07-2021, 06:14 PM

Failing that, salted peanuts mixed with either plain or cheese & onion crisps and eaten together.

Reminds me of having a pint or two at Bert's Bar in Stockbridge years ago.

I ordered a pickled egg and the bar girl said that she wouldn't want to be in my bathroom tomorrow morning.

I told her that there was no chance of that happening, maybe she was trying to chat me up.

Smartie
31-07-2021, 07:42 PM
One of the most surreal things I’ve ever witnessed was when a full blown pub fight escalated from a young lady making a scathing comment about the “rank” jar of pickled eggs that was sat behind the bar.

A few regulars took exception, it escalated quickly and tbh it was pretty mental.

My pub snack of choice would be simple cheese and onion Tayto crisps when over on the Emerald Isle. There’s nothing particularly special about them and I would never choose that flavour as a first choice over here, but someone told me about it decades ago and it has just become a fixture.

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-07-2021, 07:55 PM
Twiglets used to be magic about 35 years ago now, not so much.

Hibrandenburg
01-08-2021, 09:28 AM
Cheese, ham and onion toasties. If you're hungry and bite in too early when it comes out the grill, then it's like eating lava but delicious on the remaining taste buds that didn't suffer 3rd degree burns.

stantonhibby
01-08-2021, 09:50 AM
Bacon fries

Oh yes. Morrrisons used to sell them but not seen them for ages.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-08-2021, 10:32 AM
Used to be a big fan of Twiglets (the 70s/80s version) not the rubbish they're producing now.

Pretty Boy
01-08-2021, 11:58 AM
Mini Cheddars are another decent pub 'crisp', particularly the BBQ or Branston pickle flavour.

I'm sure there is also a crisp called 'cheese moments' from the same range as scampi and bacon fries but I haven't seen them in years.

blackpoolhibs
01-08-2021, 12:59 PM
I love pork scratchings, my waist will disagree. There are different scratchings to be had, it has to be the hard ones with the nice fat on the edge. They brought out some new ones a few years back that were more like prawn crackers, pish. :greengrin

alhibby
01-08-2021, 01:09 PM
Snyders Jalapeno Pretzel pieces, cant get enough of them.

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-08-2021, 03:53 PM
I'll start.

Half way through a bag of these right now. Kidding myself by going back and forward to the kitchen with a wee bowl, that this is portion control.

HibbyDave
03-08-2021, 08:06 AM
Years and years ago I was in a pub in Newcastle Area. In walks a guy with a basket of little bags filled with prawns for sale. They were amazing. I think some places still do this in that area.

Hibrandenburg
03-08-2021, 08:13 AM
In my regular haunt, there's a guy comes in around midnight with a basket of fresh bread (still warm), I normally opt for the salted Brezel or Cheese Bread, just what you need to continue on the beer.

Dalianwanda
03-08-2021, 08:20 AM

These get my vote though I mix a packet of them with the cheese ones......Maybe Honey & Mustard on the side :wink:

When I lived back home a wee treat in Staggs Bar was a jar of pickled mussels, tip out the vinegar & add a shot of drambuie....Give the jar a good shake, taste sensation!

pollution
03-08-2021, 11:46 AM
These get my vote though I mix a packet of them with the cheese ones......Maybe Honey & Mustard on the side :wink:

When I lived back home a wee treat in Staggs Bar was a jar of pickled mussels, tip out the vinegar & add a shot of drambuie....Give the jar a good shake, taste sensation!

I can't even begin to imagine......!

Alfiembra
03-08-2021, 11:47 AM
Worcester sauce crisps can’t remember the last time I had a pack of them but went down well with a Shandy.

calumhibee1
03-08-2021, 12:18 PM
Mini Cheddars are another decent pub 'crisp', particularly the BBQ or Branston pickle flavour.

I'm sure there is also a crisp called 'cheese moments' from the same range as scampi and bacon fries but I haven't seen them in years.

You get mini cheddars sticks now. Superb with a beer. A bit cheesier than the original ones.

Jones28
03-08-2021, 02:14 PM
Jerky and Biltong for me

WoreTheGreen
03-08-2021, 02:32 PM
Went up to Dundee to watch us a fair session pre game but to top it off was mince rolls The food of gods

Jack
03-08-2021, 05:26 PM
Can't believe no-one is lamenting the demise of mussels in vinegar from behind the bar!

It always used to be a tradition in Tamsons at New Year that the manager (lovely guy) brought in a huge cheese board and everyone got pished on the Port! Magic.

I can't say I'm that excited about pub snacks these days except when I'm in a traditional Spanish bar eating proper traditional tapas.

Hibee87
05-08-2021, 02:01 AM
The stovies in the cabbage and ribs a out 10/15 years ago befor it shut. Sure it was either 50p or £1, lashings of broon sauce were magic. Also remember a few pubs, don't see them now was the warm Sahara nuts. No days it's kp chilli nuts or king prawn McCoy's that only ever seen in the Iona

Hibee87
05-08-2021, 02:11 AM

They are weird snacks. Utterly delicious, can't stop eating them but something about them, maybe the sweetness make you feel sick, but you can't help go back for more. Bit like Pringles, once you start you can't stop

blackpoolhibs
05-08-2021, 03:53 PM
The stovies in the cabbage and ribs a out 10/15 years ago befor it shut. Sure it was either 50p or £1, lashings of broon sauce were magic. Also remember a few pubs, don't see them now was the warm Sahara nuts. No days it's kp chilli nuts or king prawn McCoy's that only ever seen in the Iona

Dont know if they still do stovies in the Hibs club, but they used to do and they were superb. :top marks

speedy_gonzales
05-08-2021, 05:12 PM
Due to the football tonight and being a dafty, I've forgot to have something to eat before heading to the pub. Sitting in Robbie's and getting hangry,,,, one pack of mini cheddars and I'm back in the game,,,,

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-08-2021, 07:14 AM

The Harrow in Dalkeith regularly have stovies on the go, a surprisingly good accompaniment to an aperitif or two.