PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Draw

davhibby
30-07-2021, 11:16 PM
The draw for the playoff of the Conference League is on Monday and they’ve released the groups for the draw tonight.

Here’s who we can get:
1 KuPS Kuopio (FIN) / FC Astana (KAZ)
2 Bohemian FC (IRL) / PAOK FC (GRE)
3 FC Luzern (SUI) / Feyenoord (NED)
4 RFS (LVA) / KAA Gent (BEL)

SteveHFC
30-07-2021, 11:21 PM
The draw for the playoff of the Conference League is on Monday and they’ve released the groups for the draw tonight.

Here’s who we can get:
1 KuPS Kuopio (FIN) / FC Astana (KAZ)
2 Bohemian FC (IRL) / PAOK FC (GRE)
3 FC Luzern (SUI) / Feyenoord (NED)
4 RFS (LVA) / KAA Gent (BEL)

2 please.

Allez Hibs
30-07-2021, 11:22 PM
A very tough draw regardless even if we get past the Croatians.

Diclonius
30-07-2021, 11:23 PM
So basically Astana, PAOK, Feyenoord or Gent.

Astana and Gent we might have a chance against if we play to the best of our ability and they have an off day. PAOK and Feyenoord - bye.

King Cosell
31-07-2021, 12:01 AM

Astana and Gent we might have a chance against if we play to the best of our ability and they have an off day. PAOK and Feyenoord - bye.

Feyenoord scraped through 3-2 on agg against a team from Kosovo. We're underdogs against Rijeka and, if we get there, we'll be underdogs in the play-off, but all those teams are beatable.

Sir David Gray
31-07-2021, 12:25 AM
Number 1 - the trip to Kazakhstan would be a nightmare but would surely represent our best chance.

jgl07
31-07-2021, 12:41 AM
The options are all bloody tough. And that supposes that Hibs get past a very good Croatian team. I would not rule anything out.

I can still remember when Paco Luna nearly put Hibs into the group stages of the UEFA cup twenty odd years back.

Onceinawhile
31-07-2021, 12:51 AM
Feyenoord please. Rotterdam is awesome. And we'd pap them.

Onceinawhile
31-07-2021, 12:52 AM

Ghent is a lovely place though tbf.

hibbydog
31-07-2021, 04:21 AM
Feyenoord please. Rotterdam is awesome. And we'd pap them.

I’d love a trip to Rotterdam.

Or anywhere. Liverpool or Rome.....

Hermit Crab
31-07-2021, 04:59 AM
Boh's, easy to get to and close plus we'd do them.

Since90+2
31-07-2021, 04:59 AM
Astana would be a horrible draw. Kazakhstani football is not as bad as you might imagine, remember Scotland getting hammered over there, and Astana are a very big club in that league.

Celtic played them a few years back when Brendan Rodgers had them unbeatable in Scotland and although they lost 5-0 at Celtic Park they were 4-1 up at home at one point before Celtic pegged it back to 4-3.

You then have the nightmare of a trip (Astana is further East than Afghanistan and Pakistan), basically whoever we would be due to play on the Sunday would effectively be a right off. Would the 2nd leg be the Thursday before we are due to play Hearts or are the games before then?

They are also 19 games into their season and have only lost twice.

The Finnish team they are playing seem to be on a great run of form though so maybe not a straightforward tie to predict.

Gent finished 7th in the Belgian league last season and lost their 1st game of this season. I wouldn't necessarily say that would be an unwinnable tie.

PAOK would be the most difficult draw IMO. Finished 2nd in the Greek league and it would be a very hostile atmosphere over there. We'd be pretty big underdogs in that one.

BS44
31-07-2021, 05:10 AM
Astana would be a horrible draw. Kazakhstani football is not as bad as you might imagine, remember Scotland getting hammered over there, and Astana are a very big club in that league.

Celtic played them a few years back when Brendan Rodgers has them unbeatable in Scotland and although they lost 5-0 at Celtic Park they were 4-1 up at home at one point before pegged it back to 4-3.

You then have the nightmare of a trip (Astana is further East than Afghanistan and Pakistan), basically whoever we would be due to play on the Sunday would effectively be a right off. Would the 2nd leg be the Thursday before we are due to play Hearts or are the games before then?

They are also 19 games into their season and have only lost twice.

First tie is 19th August. If we do manage beat the Croats our big TV game against Dundee wouldn't be on Saturday at 12pm

Second game the following week there is no league fixture, so it maybe is League Cup weekend

MWHIBBIES
31-07-2021, 06:56 AM

Feyernoord are nothing special, we'd have a chance

bod
31-07-2021, 07:00 AM
I’d love a trip to Rotterdam.

Or anywhere. Liverpool or Rome.....

Beautiful

Sir David Gray
31-07-2021, 07:05 AM
First tie is 19th August. If we do manage beat the Croats our big TV game against Dundee wouldn't be on Saturday at 12pm

Second game the following week there is no league fixture, so it maybe is League Cup weekend

The Dundee game is already on Sunday 22nd August so that would be fine. The following week we're at home to Livingston on Saturday 28th August so if we do beat Rijeka that will be moved to Sunday 29th August.

Rijeka fan
31-07-2021, 07:07 AM
Astana would be a best choice. Our former player, Marin Tomasov, is a star there. Kazahstan football is descending, they are not what they used to be few years ago. Their champion Kairat lost to Red Star Belgrade in CL, first leg 2-1, and second leg in Belgrade 0-5. In conference league, Tobol eliminated Hajduk Split after extra time, first leg in Split 2-0 for Hajduk, second leg 4-1 for Tobol. But Hajduk is much better team, actually nobody understands how they lost. And Tobol is currently second in Kazahstan championship.

PAOK also not bad choice, Greek clubs are underachieveing for last few years. For example, AEK is eliminated from Bosnian club Velež. To compare this result, Linfield eliminated Bosnian champion Borac with 4-0 and 0-0 from CL. We played with Olympiacos in CL play-off 4 years ago and then with AEK same year in EL group. They were much better then nowadays and we did not embarassed ourselves.

Feyenoord - hm, they have also been in a hole for few years, now going back to glory days. We played with them in EL group stage some 7 years ago, 3-1 in Rijeka, 0-2 in Rotterdam. Tough one. On the other hand, they barely eliminated club from Kosovo. I do not think they should be mission impossible.

Gent - toughest one. Belgian league is still good and we do not have good experience with their clubs. Few years ago after we eliminated Aberdeen, next leg we lost to Genk 1-2 and 1-1. Looks pretty tight, but it was one way clash, they played exactly as they needed to eliminate us. With half strength. We never had a chance.

A s a conclusion - fairly good draw. Either for us either for you. It could been much worse.

Nakedmanoncrack
31-07-2021, 07:17 AM
Astana would be a best choice. Our former player, Marin Tomasov, is a star there. Kazahstan football is descending, they are not what they used to be few years ago. Their champion Kairat lost to Red Star Belgrade in CL, first leg 2-1, and second leg in Belgrade 0-5. In conference league, Tobol eliminated Hajduk Split after extra time, first leg in Split 2-0 for Hajduk, second leg 4-1 for Tobol. But Hajduk is much better team, actually nobody understands how they lost. And Tobol is currently second in Kazahstan championship.

PAOK also not bad choice, Greek clubs are underachieveing for last few years. For example, AEK is eliminated from Bosnian club Velež. To compare this result, Linfield eliminated Bosnian champion Borac with 4-0 and 0-0 from CL. We played with Olympiacos in CL play-off 4 years ago and then with AEK same year in EL group. They were much better then nowadays and we did not embarassed ourselves.

Feyenoord - hm, they have also been in a hole for few years, now going back to glory days. We played with them in EL group stage some 7 years ago, 3-1 in Rijeka, 0-2 in Rotterdam. Tough one. On the other hand, they barely eliminated club from Kosovo. I do not think they should be mission impossible.

Gent - toughest one. Belgian league is still good and we do not have good experience with their clubs. Few years ago after we eliminated Aberdeen, next leg we lost to Genk 1-2 and 1-1. Looks pretty tight, but it was one way clash, they played exactly as they needed to eliminate us. With half strength. We never had a chance.

A s a conclusion - fairly good draw. Either for us either for you. It could been much worse.

Thanks, good insights.

Coach Jon
31-07-2021, 07:17 AM
The options are all bloody tough. And that supposes that Hibs get past a very good Croatian team. I would not rule anything out.

I can still remember when Paco Luna nearly put Hibs into the group stages of the UEFA cup twenty odd years back.

The Uefa cup didnt have Group Stages when that game was played in 2001, a memorable night with a great atmosphere though!

BS44
31-07-2021, 09:00 AM
The Dundee game is already on Sunday 22nd August so that would be fine. The following week we're at home to Livingston on Saturday 28th August so if we do beat Rijeka that will be moved to Sunday 29th August.

Cheers, for the info. I was going to ask around at work for a backshift on the Saturday so I could watch the Dundee game on TV before going into work!

Since452
31-07-2021, 09:09 AM
Feyernoord are nothing special, we'd have a chance

Marciano plays in goals for them. We'll know his weaknesses. Suppose he'll know ours too!

Sir David Gray
31-07-2021, 09:13 AM
Marciano plays in goals for them. We'll know his weaknesses. Suppose he'll know ours too!

He seems to be their second choice so far.

ABZHFC
31-07-2021, 09:17 AM
Beautiful

South

Big_Franck
31-07-2021, 09:21 AM

We don't have weaknesses.

Green Man
31-07-2021, 09:28 AM

Hi Rijeka fan! Thanks for your insight on this and the other thread, it’s very useful. Is Croatian football available on TV anywhere? I get some European channels with my TV package, so would like to watch some of your games if possible.

Iggy Pope
31-07-2021, 09:41 AM

Neither are in Hibs class agreed, but treating them as a bye is pushing it I feel.:wink:

O'Rourke3
31-07-2021, 09:44 AM
Ghent is a lovely place though tbf.It is indeed, though I'm not sure where the ground is. Trains from the Airport Station go on to Gent but its quicker changing in Brussels.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

hibbysam
31-07-2021, 09:51 AM
Compared to some of the sides we could’ve got I don’t think it could’ve been much kinder. Let’s get past this Croatian lot first then have a right good go.

Since90+2
31-07-2021, 09:54 AM
One of the sides Aberdeen could get it they progress is Tottenham. Glamour time if it happened but they'd be likely be hammered.

WhileTheChief..
31-07-2021, 09:57 AM
Kazakhstan borders China and Mongolia.

Why are they even in any Euro competition?? Guess their money helped.

BS44
31-07-2021, 09:57 AM

Rijeka fan, while you're on here - and welcome by the way - I'm gonna give you a few Scottish football terms, you have to guess what you think they mean

1. Stoat the ba
2. Ten bob bit heid
3. Blooter

WhileTheChief..
31-07-2021, 10:00 AM
Give the guy a chance, it's not the 1950s anymore!

Rijeka fan
31-07-2021, 10:03 AM
Hi Rijeka fan! Thanks for your insight on this and the other thread, it’s very useful. Is Croatian football available on TV anywhere? I get some European channels with my TV package, so would like to watch some of your games if possible.

I doubt it.

Current TV rights is held by company VOX and all matches are available on Arenasport channels.

From next season TV rights are held by Endorphin Magine LTD.

Itsnoteasy
31-07-2021, 10:04 AM
The Uefa cup didnt have Group Stages when that game was played in 2001, a memorable night with a great atmosphere though!

Said many times on .net. Best atmosphere i have ever been at.

CMurdoch
31-07-2021, 10:10 AM

Is that you just counted out Hibs?
I.e. basically the wee team is playing at home in the 1st leg this week

Rijeka fan
31-07-2021, 10:18 AM
Rijeka fan, while you're on here - and welcome by the way - I'm gonna give you a few Scottish football terms, you have to guess what you think they mean

1. Stoat the ba
2. Ten bob bit heid
3. Blooter

Hahahaha, do not have a clue. Although, Google helps.

Would You like some Croatian terms?:greengrin

Phil MaGlass
31-07-2021, 11:25 AM

Feyenoord have been mince for a few yrs now, they struggled over 2 legs, I would take them any day of the week. They are no longer the top team they used to be.

davhibby
31-07-2021, 11:31 AM
Feyenoord have been mince for a few yrs now, they struggled over 2 legs, I would take them any day of the week. They are no longer the top team they used to be.

I think of the seeds in those ties Feyenoord are the most likely to lose. Lucerne won’t be a bad team

Green Man
31-07-2021, 01:32 PM
I doubt it.

Current TV rights is held by company VOX and all matches are available on Arenasport channels.

From next season TV rights are held by Endorphin Magine LTD.

Thanks mate. Arenasport doesn’t seem to be available on my service but I’ll keep an eye out.

et_hibby
31-07-2021, 01:51 PM
Neither are in Hibs class agreed, but treating them as a bye is pushing it I feel.:wink:
😀😀👍

brog
31-07-2021, 03:12 PM

Part of Kazakhstan is in Europe. Only a small piece but then again the great majority of Russia is in Asia.

Frazerbob
31-07-2021, 03:18 PM

All the former Soviet states were eligible to remain in UEFA after its break up.

I would be gutted if we end up playing there and fans couldn’t travel. Wonderful city (now called Nur-sultan) and country that I fell in love with after the Scotland trip a few years ago and a follow up return trip. Ive been desperate to get back since Covid struck so what an opportunity if we were playing there. Currently foreign travellers are not allowed to enter the country.

jonny
31-07-2021, 04:15 PM
I think of the seeds in those ties Feyenoord are the most likely to lose. Lucerne won’t be a bad team

I'd have thought the Fin's would give Astana a run for their money.
I think of the possibilities if we get through I'd prefer the winner of that tie - unless of course Bohemians were to win but I think that's quite unlikely.