PDA

View Full Version : Should heading simply be scrapped in football?

He's here!
28-07-2021, 11:01 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57996593

With younger kids across the UK prohibited from heading the ball in training, older kids limited to a certain number of headers and now English pros having restrictions placed on the number of headers in training is it time to assess whether football needs to be restructured so that heading the ball is no longer part of the game? The medical concerns seem to point in that direction.

AugustaHibs
28-07-2021, 11:02 AM

With younger kids across the UK prohibited from heading the ball in training, older kids limited to a certain number of headers and now English pros having restrictions placed on the number of headers in training is it time to assess whether football needs to be restructured so that heading the ball is no longer part of the game? The medical concerns seem to point in that direction.

Game would be dead if you just outlawed heading.

Since90+2
28-07-2021, 11:04 AM

No.

JeMeSouviens
28-07-2021, 11:05 AM
Game would be dead if you just outlawed heading.

It would be very different and who doesn't love a SDG style bullet header? But in the end, it might actually produce a better game. Aerially dominated football is mostly pish.

BegbieHSC
28-07-2021, 11:16 AM
Our most famous, and emotive goal ever came from an absolute stoater of a header, so nah.

scoopyboy
28-07-2021, 11:20 AM
Would kill the game for me.

Headed goals would be a thing of the past and so would headed clearances off the line, a striker would just have to chip the ball and the defender on the line would just have to let it float in or handle it.

Not for me

wookie70
28-07-2021, 11:22 AM
Sport is dangerous. Downhill skiing, Motor Racing, Boxing etc. It is part of the draw knowing that athletes and sports people are putting everything they have on the line.

Football is far less physical now than it was in the past and if heading is removed it will lose yet another physical element. Barring Hibs football isn't that interesting to me, there are very few big tackles and a third of the time the ball isn't even in play. High Balls and heading are another skill as far as I am concerned and that leads to diversity of styles of play which can mean smaller teams can upset those with the money. That is a good thing imo.

Brightside
28-07-2021, 11:23 AM

No. But we do need to coach young players how to head properly. Too many at 14 etc that are going to hurt themselves due to not being coached how to head a ball.

28-07-2021, 11:24 AM
Don't know if there have been any studies but are the balls these days not so likely to cause as bad an impact? Plus keepers pass it to a defender more as opposed to a big kick upfield straight onto a centre back's head, which must be the worst ones.

Bishop Hibee
28-07-2021, 11:32 AM
No.

Since452
28-07-2021, 11:58 AM
Can see it happening eventually. Can't ignore medical evidence. Either that or headgear being worn or a change in the way footballs are made. Don't think it'll change any time soon though.

Haymaker
28-07-2021, 12:08 PM
It's banned until U12 here in the states. I use foam balls to demonstrate technique in practice and get my kids to play on the floor anyway. Works fine if you've got a good coach.

Greenbeard
28-07-2021, 12:33 PM
Never thought about that, the ball has changed a lot so might be a something that has to be factored in to any assessment.
Not seen research to back it up but I'd guess that the more serious damage comes from clashes of heads during aerial challenges rather than just heading today's relatively light ball. Ban heading and the do-gooders would say you greatly reduce the risk from aerial head clashes.
While we're at it, can we prohibit tackling in rugby, have the fences in horse racing 6 inches high and have a 50mph speed limit in Formula 1?

Brightside
28-07-2021, 12:53 PM
It's banned until U12 here in the states. I use foam balls to demonstrate technique in practice and get my kids to play on the floor anyway. Works fine if you've got a good coach.

Is it banned in actual games? The same advice is in place for u12s here but not in games.

basehibby
28-07-2021, 12:58 PM
Sport is dangerous. Downhill skiing, Motor Racing, Boxing etc. It is part of the draw knowing that athletes and sports people are putting everything they have on the line.

Football is far less physical now than it was in the past and if heading is removed it will lose yet another physical element. Barring Hibs football isn't that interesting to me, there are very few big tackles and a third of the time the ball isn't even in play. High Balls and heading are another skill as far as I am concerned and that leads to diversity of styles of play which can mean smaller teams can upset those with the money. That is a good thing imo.

Agree with this. There seems to be an ironically UN-healthy obsession in modern society with removing all risk from everything. Living entails risk. Death is part of life.

Viva_Palmeiras
28-07-2021, 12:58 PM
Was speaking to a guy who’s son plays for one of the youth Premiership Team academies down South he reckons his son will be let go because he’s suffered concussions and had to play with some head protection best part of a year.

if you’re losing talent to the game through no fault of their own - and through health thats a tough one to take. I’d imagine there’s more to it than this but that was how he presented it.

Stanton Spence
28-07-2021, 01:02 PM
Simply NO

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Haymaker
28-07-2021, 01:22 PM
Is it banned in actual games? The same advice is in place for u12s here but not in games.

Yep. Indirect free-kick given for a deliberate header

Northernhibee
28-07-2021, 02:49 PM
Not seen research to back it up but I'd guess that the more serious damage comes from clashes of heads during aerial challenges rather than just heading today's relatively light ball. Ban heading and the do-gooders would say you greatly reduce the risk from aerial head clashes.
While we're at it, can we prohibit tackling in rugby, have the fences in horse racing 6 inches high and have a 50mph speed limit in Formula 1?

In Formula One we had a debate on whether the Halo safety system was a good idea a few years back. Some didn’t like the aesthetic effect it had on the car.

Since then it’s almost certainly saved the life of Roman Grosjean and probably helped avoided serious injury to other drivers.

Just because sport is dangerous it doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t have a sensible debate on how to make it less so, and it may not harm the enjoyment of the game either.

Brightside
28-07-2021, 02:50 PM
Yep. Indirect free-kick given for a deliberate header

Do they still have corners?

He's here!
28-07-2021, 02:50 PM

I guess with under-12s heading's never been as a big a part of the game as it is for older age groups, but do you notice a a big difference in the game (for better or worse) without it?

He's here!
28-07-2021, 02:58 PM
Agree with this. There seems to be an ironically UN-healthy obsession in modern society with removing all risk from everything. Living entails risk. Death is part of life.

The risk of falling off a horse or crashing a car is different to the risk involved in heading a football tho. These are accidents which occur in dangerous sports. Dementia as a result of heading a football is now a proven medical issue and should arguably lead to that part of the game being changed.

Scouse Hibee
28-07-2021, 03:05 PM
No not for me, the ball is so much lighter these days anyway.

WhileTheChief..
28-07-2021, 03:05 PM
Should really stops kids playing outdoors.

They could fall and scrape a knee or something.

Haymaker
28-07-2021, 03:44 PM
Do they still have corners?

Yep. My teams usually play short

Haymaker
28-07-2021, 03:47 PM
I guess with under-12s heading's never been as a big a part of the game as it is for older age groups, but do you notice a a big difference in the game (for better or worse) without it?

To a point yes. My High School aged teams could solve a lot of their problems by heading away a long ball sometimes but will try to deal with it other ways

500miles
28-07-2021, 04:11 PM
I think the ball is much lighter know, so that should make a difference.

If you took heading out of the game, you'd have to move the game in a futsal type direction.

Pagan Hibernia
28-07-2021, 04:19 PM
Our most famous, and emotive goal ever came from an absolute stoater of a header, so nah.

:agree:

not to mention stokes equaliser in the same game, one of the five in 2007, two of the seven in ‘73, and O’Rourke’s bullet against Celtic in the Final a few weeks earlier.

Hibs without headers? Not for me.

Northernhibee
28-07-2021, 04:27 PM
:agree:

not to mention stokes equaliser in the same game, one of the five in 2007, two of the seven in ‘73, and O’Rourke’s bullet against Celtic in the Final a few weeks earlier.

Hibs without headers? Not for me.

Nobody is looking to rewrite the past though.

cameronw-hfc
28-07-2021, 04:29 PM
I've got a different take on this. I don't think it should be outlawed, however being an avid MMA and Boxing fan, I've seen a lot more of the scary affects of CTE and 100% it needs to be tailor to. It's an awful, awful way for anyone to go out/grow old with, and it's something they're noticing in footballers also. Imo we need to take precautions on this, as currently as can only test for CTE AFTER a death, which means management of the issue is about the only way they can work around it. Ban it under certain age groups, and they need to tighten down on the head knocks. If someone needs ANY treatment for a head knock, get them off, let them recover.

Silky
28-07-2021, 04:41 PM
I don't think football would be the same without heading. I would hope its not as prevalent in players who head the lighter balls nowadays but I suppose that will come out in a few years time.

On the subject of kids heading. My son is 10 and they don't do heading when he plays. We practice his technique with a sponge ball. He loves that.

jgl07
28-07-2021, 07:17 PM

If you took heading out of the game, you'd have to move the game in a futsal type direction.
More that that. It would become futsal played on a full-sized pitch.

The only way to make it work was to stop balls from going above head height. You could not have balls launched high into the penalty area where no heading was allowed.

If these sorts of rules were applied, Rugby Union, Rugby League, and American Football would all be banned outright. Boxing would certainly be gone.

Lancs Harp
28-07-2021, 07:46 PM

Not in favour of banning heading but a lighter ball means it is hit harder and travels faster.

wookie70
28-07-2021, 08:37 PM
The risk of falling off a horse or crashing a car is different to the risk involved in heading a football tho. These are accidents which occur in dangerous sports. Dementia as a result of heading a football is now a proven medical issue and should arguably lead to that part of the game being changed.

I get how it would have been a problem with an old laced up ball that was twice the weight the second it rained. Is the evidence also there for modern football where there isn't a huge number of headers and the ball is pretty light. I have no issue with heading being banned for kids but in the adult game I can't see the need. Look at ways of the ball being made of different materials of pads on the head or something but don't take away a massive part of the game

Lago
28-07-2021, 08:53 PM
It would be a completely different game and perhaps if you grew up playing/watching the game without headers it would be OK, but for oldies don't think so.

WeeRussell
28-07-2021, 09:13 PM
Like almost everyone I’m sure, I definitely don’t want to see heading eliminated from the game and I don’t think it ever will be. But there’s a definite responsibility to make sure any proven high risk is removed/minimised going forward if we are to continue as is.

It’s okay us fans saying it’s part of the game and sport involves risk. I don’t fancy being a big centre half or striker repeatedly putting myself at high risk of developing dementia without anything being done just because the fans say sport involves putting your body on the line.

The Spaceman
28-07-2021, 09:35 PM
Imagine a Hearts team not allowed to head the ball 😂😂😂😂

Hibee Mac
28-07-2021, 09:53 PM
In all honesty I can see this going forward, it would be a huge change to the way the game is played but teams and tactics would adapt to suit.

O'Rourke3
28-07-2021, 09:55 PM
Not in favour of banning heading but a lighter ball means it is hit harder and travels faster.True but better coaching helps deal with speed. There is still the likliehood of being hit on the head, head clash, elbow, other trauma, direct free kicks etc. A rule, like old fashioned 5s, above head height, leads to the game having to be played by height categories rather than age. Rob Jones would be banned ...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

jgl07
28-07-2021, 09:56 PM
Imagine a Hearts team not allowed to head the ball 😂😂😂😂

They would still be allowed to blooter the ball into space.

Baader
28-07-2021, 10:34 PM
Can see it getting banned in schools and maybe U18s football. Wouldn't like to see the game without it though.

Sir David Gray
28-07-2021, 10:51 PM
Not for me.

ScottB
28-07-2021, 11:31 PM
No headers, so, more bicycle kicks!

hibbyfraelibby
29-07-2021, 06:58 AM
The ball is the issue. A lot of the evidence for the link comes from the days when the ball was actuall leather and when it got wet it was like a canonball. The newer balls are lighter and dont soak up the water but they are still pumped up to a pretty hard pressure so maybe a smaller lower pressure ball?

heretoday
29-07-2021, 07:30 AM
Just play with a lighter ball. Woolworths used to sell them.
White with black spots on.

Greenbeard
29-07-2021, 07:44 AM
Just play with a lighter ball. Woolworths used to sell them.
White with black spots on.
Brilliant for "benders". Inadvertent mind, but anyone could hit that ball like Rivellino and pretend it was meant.

calumhibee1
29-07-2021, 07:59 AM
The ball is the issue. A lot of the evidence for the link comes from the days when the ball was actuall leather and when it got wet it was like a canonball. The newer balls are lighter and dont soak up the water but they are still pumped up to a pretty hard pressure so maybe a smaller lower pressure ball?

Pro football being played with a flat ball?!

I think the lighter ball is probably being hugely overplayed in this. Whilst it’s absolutely a fact, they’re still pumped up hard and as Lancs Hibs said, they travel at some speed compared to older balls. They’ll be doing a significant amount of damage I’d imagine.

jacomo
29-07-2021, 10:34 AM

Easy to say if your life or that of a loved one hasn’t been ruined by early onset dementia due to repetitive injury from playing sport I suppose.

I am loathe to see heading removed from the game but you can’t simply pretend the evidence isn’t there.

overdrive
29-07-2021, 10:57 AM
Someone has already mentioned whether corners would still be a thing, but I wonder if heading was banned, whether throw-ins would be scrapped in favour of a kick-in like in futsal. Otherwise, you'd need some sort of rule that you could only throw the ball at chest height.

I actually watched a YouTube video in the early hours this morning during an insomnia bout about whether throw-ins should be scrapped and replaced with a kick-in in order to improve the amount of time the ball was in play. Interestingly it stated that Rory Delap would often have more touches of the ball with his hands than his feet.

wookie70
29-07-2021, 11:15 AM
Pro football being played with a flat ball?!

I think the lighter ball is probably being hugely overplayed in this. Whilst it’s absolutely a fact, they’re still pumped up hard and as Lancs Hibs said, they travel at some speed compared to older balls. They’ll be doing a significant amount of damage I’d imagine.

It is about the evidence though. The players who have got dementia etc are from the days when the ball was completely different. Has there been studies on the difference in the balls in terms of their impact etc

Wakeyhibee
29-07-2021, 12:45 PM
No not for me, the ball is so much lighter these days anyway.

Urban myth, the laws havent changed on the weight of the ball. Technology has advanced so that the ball no longer absorbs moisture making it heavier during a game.

And no from me, bit like watching one handed boxing.

WhileTheChief..
29-07-2021, 01:42 PM
Nothing to do with the laws of the game.

Take a bone dry ball from the 60s compared to a brand new, bone dry ball today and you think they weigh the same?? No chance.

Andy74
29-07-2021, 01:53 PM
Nothing to do with the laws of the game.

Take a bone dry ball from the 60s compared to a brand new, bone dry ball today and you think they weigh the same?? No chance.

From a non expert point of view the modern materials for footballs must also help absorb some of that impact too.

tamig
29-07-2021, 02:25 PM
Someone has already mentioned whether corners would still be a thing, but I wonder if heading was banned, whether throw-ins would be scrapped in favour of a kick-in like in futsal. Otherwise, you'd need some sort of rule that you could only throw the ball at chest height.

I actually watched a YouTube video in the early hours this morning during an insomnia bout about whether throw-ins should be scrapped and replaced with a kick-in in order to improve the amount of time the ball was in play. Interestingly it stated that Rory Delap would often have more touches of the ball with his hands than his feet.
The best solution for maximising the amount of time the ball is in play is to stop the watch every time there is any break in play. I think that was discussed a few years back and they were talking about reviewing the amount of actual playing time to compensate. Games could potentially go on for hours otherwise.

And to answer the OP, no danger heading should be done away with. Its an art imo. Really good headers of the ball are few and far between these days but its still a major part of the game.

Eyrie
29-07-2021, 05:18 PM
The best solution for maximising the amount of time the ball is in play is to stop the watch every time there is any break in play. I think that was discussed a few years back and they were talking about reviewing the amount of actual playing time to compensate. Games could potentially go on for hours otherwise.

And to answer the OP, no danger heading should be done away with. Its an art imo. Really good headers of the ball are few and far between these days but its still a major part of the game.

Think the proposal was 60 minutes of actual playing time, which was a few minutes up on the average time the ball is in play for.