PDA

View Full Version : Hibs or Edinburgh. Which means more to you?

He's here!
27-07-2021, 10:10 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qTbLoyQ23g

I came upon this video the other day and was struck by the lines 'the streets of Edinburgh mean half the world to me'. Having lived and worked away from my home city for significant chunks of my life it resonates in the sense that no matter how long I'm away from Edinburgh I'm always struck by how rooted I am to the city when I walk its streets.

Nevertheless, I don't feel that living in Edinburgh is essential to me in the way that Hibs are. Sure, the two are inextricably linked and for many will go hand in hand, but for me it's the football club which means more.

I guess there is also a significant chunk of the Hibs support who aren't from Edinburgh so it would be interesting to know what it is that enticed them to support the club if it wasn't simply down to the fact Hibs are their hometown team.

JXM73
27-07-2021, 10:16 AM
Hibs, a team that want to play a style of football i like to watch....

Edinburgh, where i work..

calumhibee1
27-07-2021, 10:18 AM
I’ve no interest in leaving Edinburgh. If I did I’d fully suspect I’d miss it loads.

Whilst I’d miss Hibs loads, I don’t think I’d return for Hibs as much as I’d be returning for Edinburgh.

It’s the best city on the planet.

Smartie
27-07-2021, 10:18 AM
F*** off Wallace.

We've been through this before.

MrSmith
27-07-2021, 10:20 AM
F*** off Wallace.

We've been through this before.

Ha ha YES! But seriously, Edinburgh for me. There will never be another Hibs.

Since452
27-07-2021, 10:25 AM
I'm not from Edinburgh but I adore it. Scotland's capital, stunning city. I'm a proud Fifer but my dad was from North Berwick which has a sizable Hibs support hence my reason for supporting Hibs. Had no choice!

HiBremian
27-07-2021, 10:26 AM
Edinburgh means home.
Hibs means life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

O'Rourke3
27-07-2021, 10:30 AM
Conjoined. Edinburgh is great city, simply better with Hibs in it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

blackpoolhibs
27-07-2021, 10:32 AM
I love coming home to Leith, Leith means more than Edinburgh to me. I think of Hibs every day, i don't think of Edinburgh every day.

When i think of Leith, i think of Hibs and home.

Scouse Hibee
27-07-2021, 10:35 AM
Edinburgh as the it was the city that drew me, our plans were to live in Liverpool once we got married (wife born and bred in Edinburgh) but I changed my mind and the wife never argued 😁.
Her family are all Hibees and hence she bought me a season ticket next to her sisters husband when I moved up. Never looked back and after thirty years here it’s now home.

MyJo
27-07-2021, 10:41 AM
Born and raised in Edinburgh before moving out to Dunfermline when starting a family but I don't have any great love for the place and definitely wouldn't consider moving back if given the choice.

Hibs is completely different however. I keep an eye on how Dunfermline FC are doing and quite like them as my local team but would never have a season ticket for them or swap allegiance from being a Hibby.

Sir David Gray
27-07-2021, 11:07 AM
I'm not from Edinburgh and have no connection with the city except for supporting Hibs so Hibs for me.

McD
27-07-2021, 11:09 AM
Hibs are my team because they are my dads team and my whole family’s team, introduced to them at a young age and never in doubt who I’d follow

Edinburgh is the greatest city in the world, so many parts of the place that I love

Peevemor
27-07-2021, 11:16 AM
Also born and raised in Edinburgh, I would have put a lot of money on me never leaving the place. Then I changed my mind.

Things weren't great work wise, I was getting fed up with other aspects of my life and Blobby was Hibs manager - so I decided to try my hand elsewhere.

I already knew a lot of people across here (not least, my wife) and I was pretty certain that, if I found work, I'd have a better quality/standard of living for myself and the family we were planning to start; which is exactly how it's turned out.

I love Edinburgh and have been tremendously proud on countless ocassions to show people my city (both before and after I left), but I don't see myself moving back. In saying that, I never saw myself moving away either.

But to answer the question it's Hibs. Edinburgh is a very different place now than when I left 17 years ago - both in streetscape & "feel", but Hibs are still Hibs.

CloudSquall
27-07-2021, 11:22 AM
Grew up in the west of Edinburgh and couldn't leave quick enough when I turned 18, ****ing hated the place to be honest.

Edit: Should clarify that's west Edinburgh, Leith was always a different story.

Dashing Bob S
27-07-2021, 11:25 AM
Hibs. Only thing good about Edinburgh

Antifa Hibs
27-07-2021, 11:27 AM
Edinburgh's a city of two halfs, and I'm not talking about Hibs n Hertz. Area's are either a ****hole or gentrified hell-hole and there seems to be little in between. Like the city, its a good city like most other cities to be honest but nothing special. And its almost unrecognisable to the place I grew up in. But the schemes seem to be getting worse and any area that isn't a scheme is fast becoming unaffordable to most. Don't plan on leaving but when you're getting outbid by £5-10k for flats in West Pilton and Craigmiller I may be forced too.

So to answer the question - Hibs without a doubt.

Bangkok Hibby
27-07-2021, 11:31 AM
Edinburgh and Leith in particular is unrecognisable to the place I left 40 odd years ago. I've never felt the need to feel "home" wherever I'm living really. Plenty memories and people who have shaped me but long in the past now.
Hibs for me, even though I'm half the world away they are every bit as important now as they were when I was a wide eyed 10 year old at my first game.

CockneyRebel
27-07-2021, 11:38 AM
Edinburgh as the it was the city that drew me, our plans were to live in Liverpool once we got married (wife born and bred in Edinburgh) but I changed my mind and the wife never argued 😁.
Her family are all Hibees and hence she bought me a season ticket next to her sisters husband when I moved up. Never looked back and after thirty years here it’s now home.

First paragraph, swap Liverpool for London and my story is the same.
Second paragraph, I had worked for 4/5 years in the West of Scotland (Greenock/Paisley areas) and had seen Hibs live a few times and a few times on tv. After seeing a few European ties as well, Hibs were my choice when moving to Edinburgh. It took a while for the city to grow on me and feel like home but my new relatives and my fellow Hibbys won me over (despite still taking the Single Fish at every opporchancity). I have a huge extended family in London and visit now and then (weddings etc.) but coming back up the road now is me coming home.

To answer the OPs question - I can't really separate the two and don't really want to.

Kato
27-07-2021, 11:39 AM
Have lived abroad for various lengths of time and the only thing I missed was Hibs. Not just the football team but the feeling of community and being with close pals at games before and after.

As someone said above Edinburgh is really a variety of places and although I love Niddrie I don't miss living there.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

BSEJVT
27-07-2021, 11:50 AM
I grew up in Portobello, but haven't stayed in Edinburgh since getting married and have absolutely zero desire to do so ever again.

The Edinburgh of my childhood used to be such a beautiful city, but I actually hate coming into Edinburgh now as it is a dirty filthy hole, difficult to drive through and with very few things (Hibs excepted) to make me want to do so. I get that I am blase about its various charms and attractions, but the hassle of getting to them outweighs their benefits for me.

The council have ruined the city through underinvestment in public services, a business rates policy that has driven all the quality shops out of the centre and a pandering to visitors at the expense of its residents.

Their traffic calming measures haven't yielded the dividend that they have in other cities across the world and to be honest given the choice I would take a day out in Glasgow before Edinburgh now

gbhibby
27-07-2021, 11:57 AM
Definitely Hibs.
Moved out of the city 20 years ago. Edinburgh has been ruined by poor planning decisions made by those in charge for the last 40 years and a lack forward planning. No desire to return.
BSEJVT sums it up perfectly.

Scouse Hibee
27-07-2021, 11:59 AM
It’s interesting reading some of the replies from folk born and bred here who say the city is now so poor yet I think it’s a fantastic beautiful city and so do all of my friends and relatives who visit.

Pagan Hibernia
27-07-2021, 12:04 PM
It’s interesting reading some of the replies from folk born and bred here who say the city is now so poor yet I think it’s a fantastic beautiful city and so do all of my friends and relatives who visit.

this. I’m not from Edinburgh and to me on my many visits it’s a fabulous place. I don’t find it dirty at all.

though it’s not uncommon to miss the hometown of your childhood. Things change and some things can never be the same

BSEJVT
27-07-2021, 12:06 PM

You should have seen it 50 years ago

The Athens of the North

scoopyboy
27-07-2021, 12:10 PM
Hibs for me, no contest.

Lived all of my 61 years in East Lothian.

Worked 45 years in Edinburgh, think its a great city but don't love it.

However I do love Hibs.

Kato
27-07-2021, 12:14 PM
It’s interesting reading some of the replies from folk born and bred here who say the city is now so poor yet I think it’s a fantastic beautiful city and so do all of my friends and relatives who visit.The centre is very pretty. Oscar Wilde said it's "quite beautiful, some of it".

I think its just like wallpaper for those of us born here.

Do you take your friends to see the sights in Drylaw or Craigmiller or do you stick to the City Centre?

SaulGoodman
27-07-2021, 12:15 PM
Edinburgh is busy and I canny get parked

Hiber-nation
27-07-2021, 12:20 PM
I fell out of love with Edinburgh some time ago and I've been gradually falling out of love with Hibs since about November 2018 but that will change again. I think Edinburgh is beyond repair. Still love Leith though.

Diclonius
27-07-2021, 12:22 PM
I was born in Edinburgh but didn't grow up there. It holds no real attachment for me. Hibs every time.

jacomo
27-07-2021, 12:27 PM
I’m another Edinburgh exile… born and raised in the city but have lived elsewhere for over half my life.

Just recently, in the past couple of years, Edinburgh has started to feel alien to me. That might be me or the city that has changed - probably both, but I do feel that the city has changed a great deal in recent times. Leith too… it feels like a very different place to me these days.

Hibs still feels like an anchor and I felt very comfortable last time I was at Easter Road (almost exactly 2 years ago). Let’s hope that never changes.

He's here!
27-07-2021, 12:33 PM
One of the best things I've found about the times I've lived away from Edinburgh has been the absence of Hearts/Hearts fans. I actually think I feel more mentally upbeat without them in the vicinity.

Bostonhibby
27-07-2021, 12:36 PM
Wife and I born in Leith, lived in Magdalene, Granton and Meadowbank. Spent the majority of our adult life in England, love Edinburgh and are frequent visitors but Hibs for me, they are part of my culture and social and family history.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Up The Bracket
27-07-2021, 12:38 PM
Hibs for me.

Similar to others, from the west of the city and recently moved to the peoples of republic of Leith.

I really do adore Leith and I love it here I just totally can’t be bothered with the rest of the city, total high school mentality and as much as I’m not planning on leaving Leith for the next few years; when I do have my next move it’ll be outside the EH postcode.

Pretty Boy
27-07-2021, 12:43 PM
Hibs for me.

I like Edinburgh and it's home but I'm not as in thrall to the place as a lot of people from here seem to be. It's a beautiful city in parts, but only one of many in the UK and beyond. I've lived away from Edinburgh and it was more circumstances in my life rather than any burning desire to return home that brought me back. Tbh I look forward to the day, and it's a while off yet, when I can escape the city and it's satellite commuter towns entirely and live somewhere green, quiet and with minimal other people.

Mon Dieu4
27-07-2021, 12:45 PM
I have never lived outside the EH6 postcode in my life, my family are all from Leith and still live in Leith, there are certain things about the way it's gone and been going over the last 10/15 years that wind me up but there is still no other place I'd rather live

Edinburgh City center is really pretty but I think of it more as a tourist attraction than a place for the residents these days

DIXIHIBS
27-07-2021, 12:46 PM
As others have said i have a huge affinity with leith but not edinburgh. I dont know if people from other parts of edinburgh feel that way? Leith has changed so much over the 30/40 years but will always feel like home. As for hibs...hibbie for life no matter where i live.

nonshinyfinish
27-07-2021, 12:49 PM
The centre is very pretty. Oscar Wilde said it's "quite beautiful, some of it".

Do you take your friends to see the sights in Drylaw or Craigmiller or do you stick to the City Centre?

Yep, as a kid I assumed that was just what city centres look like. My mum's family live in a village outside Luton, the first time I was in the centre of Luton I was looking around like "where's the castle?"

Kato
27-07-2021, 12:52 PM
Edinburgh City center is really pretty but I think of it more as a tourist attraction than a place for the residents these days

Only the Dumbiedykes left and most places for locals to reside in the city centre will be gone.

Since90+2
27-07-2021, 12:54 PM
Edinburgh's a city of two halfs, and I'm not talking about Hibs n Hertz. Area's are either a ****hole or gentrified hell-hole and there seems to be little in between. Like the city, its a good city like most other cities to be honest but nothing special. And its almost unrecognisable to the place I grew up in. But the schemes seem to be getting worse and any area that isn't a scheme is fast becoming unaffordable to most. Don't plan on leaving but when you're getting outbid by £5-10k for flats in West Pilton and Craigmiller I may be forced too.

So to answer the question - Hibs without a doubt.

Don't agree with that at all. There are loads of areas that are neither a ****hole or gentrified beyond recognition.

Boswall, Newhaven, Longstone, Balgreen, Brunstane, Liberton, Silverknowes, Chesser, Slateford, Carricknowe, Currie just off the top of my head.

Mikey_1875
27-07-2021, 12:55 PM
Hibs for me. I would say I have an affinity for the part of Edinburgh I grew up in rather than the city centre or even Leith. Although I have caught myself a few times coming out of a shop on Princes street, taking a look up at the castle and thinking wow, we live in a great city.

wookie70
27-07-2021, 01:04 PM
I was born in Stockbridge, brought up in Northfield and had family links to Leith. My childhood was spent down Porty and the Figgy Park. I loved Edinburgh with all its nooks and crannies and a real village feel. Pubs everywhere all with loads of character much due to what locals decided on what watering holes. The Tron at New Year full of your fellow citizens and the shops along Princes Street bursting with life. It was also such a beautiful city before being destroyed by the Trams, ridiculous traffic calming measures and massive ugly barriers on the High Street. At least the Park and Botanics have been protected from the Council's vandalism but the City is a very pale shadow of its former self.

It all changed for me around the time they set about making it impossible to get round the city in a car and all efforts were made to make the city a place for tourists rather than locals. Huge efforts made to get massive amounts of tourism mostly at the expense of locals. I moved out 15 years ago to Midlothian and try my best to avoid going into Edinburgh. I was very proud of it for the first 30 odd years of my life but it annoys me now.

I think about Hibs every day. I care about them as much as my Family and Easter Road feels like another home. I love Hibs and avoid Edinburgh. Hibs mean the world to me and at least I can get there fairly easily and park up without going through the city centre. I still have family in Leith but I don't visit as much as I should due to the mess of Leith Walk due to the Trams. The council had a great opportunity to reduce traffic to a minimum and make Edinburgh a truly modern city. Instead they chose a ludicrously overpriced and not very useful Tram Network over creating a huge number of cycling and walking routes and making bus travel free/very cheap for residents.

I hate to say it after decades of slagging Glasgow but I actually like the City Centre in Glasgow more than Edinburgh and it has improved since my youth where our city has got worse year on year

Roxyhibee
27-07-2021, 01:07 PM
Born and bred in Edinburgh and wouldn’t say I’m proud to live here but I feel very very lucky. Imo it is a stunning city, with outstanding entertainment, arts, architecture and now world class restaurants. It’s a perfect small size to walk around in the different areas of old and new town and I would challenge anyone to find anywhere with a richer history. There’s more in the Royal Mile alone than within any uk city. It’s these assets of course which make it a ‘victim’ of its own beauty and attraction, as tourism is off the scale now and I think that needs some control in the future, but god knows how that’s achieved.

It has an old tossers school tie network still lurking around which I’d like to see completely rid of and like any other city it has it’s modern day social problems and has had to change in terms of architecture, trade and transport. But it’s skyline has vastly improved from my early lifetime in the 60’s and 70’s with the continuing pro active demolition of its high rise blocks.

The fact that the football team with the greatest founding history in the world play there too with those beautiful green tops and iconic white sleeves just makes me feel I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.

Edinburgh or Hibs though...? Hibernian FC every time.

Scouse Hibee
27-07-2021, 01:27 PM
The centre is very pretty. Oscar Wilde said it's "quite beautiful, some of it".

Yeah absoulutely, they thought those areas were posh compared to Norris Green, Dingle ,Toxteth (and Old Swan where I was brought up )😁
I get your point though.

CockneyRebel
27-07-2021, 01:32 PM
[QUOTE=Kato;6631696]The centre is very pretty. Oscar Wilde said it's "quite beautiful, some of it".

I take them to Gorgie first then every place after that is a winner! :hyper

Bishop Hibee
27-07-2021, 02:00 PM
Hibs for me. Edinburgh is a fantastic city though. I say that having lived away for five years and having holiday’d far and wide. I missed Hibs more than Edinburgh when I was away although the lack of square sausage came close!

glenberviehibee
27-07-2021, 02:24 PM
Hibs for me born in Edinburgh but moved to Falkirk when I was 4 .although I like visiting Edinburgh I wouldn't move back to live but Hibs are in my blood and i wouldn't follow any other team

Jack
27-07-2021, 02:39 PM
I enjoy travelling, even more so since I retired. Its great to explore when you know you're coming back to a city many in the world envy and think it's brilliant, lovely, fantastic, and all these sorts of words!

I glad I'm a Hibs supporter.

One doesn't depend on the other.

Who's your favourite kid is another daft question.

He's here!
27-07-2021, 02:48 PM
I grew up in Portobello, but haven't stayed in Edinburgh since getting married and have absolutely zero desire to do so ever again.

The Edinburgh of my childhood used to be such a beautiful city, but I actually hate coming into Edinburgh now as it is a dirty filthy hole, difficult to drive through and with very few things (Hibs excepted) to make me want to do so. I get that I am blase about its various charms and attractions, but the hassle of getting to them outweighs their benefits for me.

The council have ruined the city through underinvestment in public services, a business rates policy that has driven all the quality shops out of the centre and a pandering to visitors at the expense of its residents.

Their traffic calming measures haven't yielded the dividend that they have in other cities across the world and to be honest given the choice I would take a day out in Glasgow before Edinburgh now

Difficult to drive through is an understatement. If you know the city well you can snake your way around via all sorts of quirky routes but even then you're often snookered by roadworks. As you say, the traffic calming measures are ill thought out and seemingly plonked down with the primary intention of frustrating drivers rather than 'calming' traffic. The wasted investment in the one-dimensional tramline (largely unused by most residents) was a disgrace when we could have re-opened a suburban rail network (one of Glasgow's great assets) for a fraction of the cost.

I haven't ventured into town for a look at the new St James quarter but the Princes St shopping 'experience' has been just plain depressing for years. The Johnnie Walker experience at the old Frasers site and the plans for the old Jenners building strike me as the sort of thing that might work better in today's tourist-orientated approach ie something that at least offers a bit of quality rather than another tartan tat gift shop. Most of the street would now be better off turned into residential properties with a smattering of pavement restaurants/cafes. What price an apartment looking straight out on to the castle I wonder...

Since452
27-07-2021, 02:58 PM
Edinburgh to me means Hibs or a cracking night out with my Mrs or mates. Bloody expensive though so happy to pop over the bridge back to Fife after!

hibbie02
27-07-2021, 03:30 PM
Born in the Simpson baby factory and grew up at the top of the Walk. My father was Sergeant Warder of the Castle and mother ran a guest house. So I grew up with the tourism nature of the city. However Hibs were my passion. I moved down south permanently in 1987 and don’t miss the City or the weather.

Still Hibs mental and only really go back for games or family get togethers. I find Edinburgh centre feels like a strange sort of theme park nowadays with bars and restaurants trying too hard with the twee names and mock jock themes. Last time I was up I took my daughter to her first game. We walked down the Walk and I shared a host of memories. Took her to see where Leith Academy was and into the Persevere before the game. The memories really kicked in. I still enjoy visits and meeting friends and family up there, but it is Hibs that bring me back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Crunchie
27-07-2021, 03:37 PM
I love coming home to Leith, Leith means more than Edinburgh to me. I think of Hibs every day, i don't think of Edinburgh every day.

When i think of Leith, i think of Hibs and home.
Leith now is nothing like the Leith of old. When I sold up and left I thought I was doing the wrong thing, I actually don't miss it at all apart from the short walk to ER on matchday.

Greencore
27-07-2021, 03:39 PM
Honestly don't care about Edinburgh at all. It's all about hibs.

Kato
27-07-2021, 03:42 PM
Yeah absoulutely, they thought those areas were posh compared to Norris Green, Dingle ,Toxteth (and Old Swan where I was brought up )😁
I get your point though.

In the late 60's-early70's my auld boy worked on the mail trains, overnight between Edinburgh and Liverpool. He ended up with digs there and my mum thought nothing of going down for the weekend and we had loads of scousers to stay in Niddrie Mill. Going through the Mersey tunnel, getting the ferry to Birkenhead and the bus out to Ormskirk to visit my Auntie Cath became pretty normal. Liverpool to me seemed like a hugely glamorous place, no doubt with a bit added cache of those beatles. Roll on years later and I'm married to an English girl from London who went to Liverpool poly in the 80's so I still have the excuse to visit.

Still love the place. Bashed about a bit but the spirit of the people there can only be admired. (I'm not going to say "shame about this and that" because every UK city has gone through what Liverpool has gone through since the late 60's.)

Scouse Hibee
27-07-2021, 03:50 PM
In the late 60's-early70's my auld boy worked on the mail trains, overnight between Edinburgh and Liverpool. He ended up with digs there and my mum thought nothing of going down for the weekend and we had loads of scousers to stay in Niddrie Mill. Going through the Mersey tunnel, getting the ferry to Birkenhead and the bus out to Ormskirk to visit my Auntie Cath became pretty normal. Liverpool to me seemed like a hugely glamorous place, no doubt with a bit added cache of those beatles. Roll on years later and I'm married to an English girl from London who went to Liverpool poly in the 80's so I still have the excuse to visit.

Still love the place. Bashed about a bit but the spirit of the people there can only be admired. (I'm not going to say "shame about this and that" because every UK city has gone through what Liverpool has gone through since the late 60's.)

Since I lost my Dad late in 2018, I lost the will to go back and have only been once since he passed. I visited nearly every month for ten years prior to that and latterly every week as he deteriorated. Loving going home and seeing friends when I could and touring the city and sights. Just don’t have the spark to go back anymore though undoubtedly will eventually.

J-C
27-07-2021, 03:54 PM
I was born and raised in Leith and still think of myself as a Leither before being from Edinburgh, coming from there Hibs was in my blood from an early age. I think I'd be more upset not being in Edinburgh compared to missing Hibs games, I can always watch on tv, laptop etc, can't get the feel of a city via a laptop, you need to be there.

Killiehibbie
27-07-2021, 04:03 PM
Hibs are my main attachment to my old home. I'm approaching half my life away from Edinburgh, the only things i miss are my parents and two or three other people.

Hibs4185
27-07-2021, 04:18 PM
I lived in central Edinburgh all my life and never thought I’d move but I did a couple of years ago and I do not miss it at all. Intact when I’m in Edinburgh, I can’t wait to get out of it.

I’ve missed HIBS games massively though and can’t wait to be back

hibbydog
27-07-2021, 04:24 PM
Hibs every time.

Edinburgh is one of the nicest cities in Europe. But I’ve spent my whole life in and around it.

Now that I’ve moved out to the sticks, I really can’t be ar5ed with it.

Synonymous with privileged education, high brow festival types and pints for more than £5.

Davy Mac
27-07-2021, 06:11 PM
Edinburgh is my home, but Drum Terrace is where I was born so Hibs is more than just fitba its my spirtual home.

heretoday
27-07-2021, 06:17 PM
I'm sick of Edinburgh. Every square foot is up for development and the city is a permanent building site.
We need a break.
I've lived here all my life but when we next move it'll be well away from Edinburgh.
As for Hibs, they follow you everywhere. Like the Mona Lisa.

Eyrie
27-07-2021, 07:23 PM
Having lived and worked most of my life in Edinburgh, I probably take the city (both good points and bad) for granted.

Even when I fell out of love with Hibs, I still kept an eye on our results and watched us on the TV, and I've had a season ticket again for a few years now.

The Spaceman
27-07-2021, 07:25 PM
Edinburgh. If Hibs franchised and moved away like the NFL teams have done moving cities I’d lose interest entirely.

Phil MaGlass
27-07-2021, 07:37 PM
Hibs for me, born in Clerie, I love coming back, meeting up with the mates before the game, soaking up the atmosphere, but I also
I love Edinburgh, its the best city in the world, being ruined by the council and planners that couldnae plan a **** up in a brewery.
THESE ***** NEED TAE BE HELD TAE ACCOUNT .

h1bs4life
27-07-2021, 08:11 PM
Born at Simpsons , brought up in the high rise flats in Leith that are no longer there.
We moved to a flat just off Leith Walk around 1975 which had 2 toilets and 3 bedrooms luxury .
Ventured out on my own and had flats in Edina Place , Brunswick Street and Easter Road .
Now stay a 10 minute drive from Leith and still only drink in pubs in Leith .
Don’t think of myself as from Edinburgh , Leither that supports Hibs .
In my younger days we used to try and do a pub crawl up Leith Walk on one side never went further than the Halfway house and very rarely completed it coming back down the other side.
Leith has changed so much since my youth The Shore is unrecognisable , a lot of the pubs on Leith Walk have changed although you still have the The Central , The Spey and the Alhambra.

27-07-2021, 08:19 PM
Leith means more to me than edinburgh. Independence for leith from the Edinburgh throbbers please

Pagan Hibernia
27-07-2021, 09:04 PM
Interesting thread this.

fascinating that so many native Edinburgh people now don’t seem to have much time for the place.

I think it’s one of the best places on the planet but then I don’t have to live with it’s problems on a daily basis and only ever see it in its best light when I visit for a few days.

anyway, Hibs. Just a beautiful football club from top to bottom. I just wish we won trophies a bit more regularly than we do but I suppose that adds to the romance

Hibiza
27-07-2021, 09:19 PM
What a bizarre question . HIBS

lord bunberry
27-07-2021, 09:19 PM
Leith means more to me than edinburgh. Independence for leith from the Edinburgh throbbers please
Absolutely, I can’t stand Edinburgh, it’s like a Scottish Disney theme park. The council do almost everything they can to make our lives worse and the rugby crowd are the biggest bunch of ******s in the city.

Kato
27-07-2021, 09:24 PM
Absolutely, I can’t stand Edinburgh, it’s like a Scottish Disney theme park. The council do almost everything they can to make our lives worse and the rugby crowd are the biggest bunch of ******s in the city.It's certainly one facet and a fairly big one.

CJHibby
27-07-2021, 09:49 PM
It's only when you live away you truly miss the place probably-home is where the heart is as they say. There comes added pride and patriotism then. It is funny searching for the Hibs result too and a great feeling of joy when they win and you are far away..

WestCoastHibby
27-07-2021, 10:18 PM
Hibs all the way for me. I used to love the city but now, phhft.
I was brought up in Ayrshire then travelled the world settling in the Edinburgh early 90s..having moved to the Borders since I'm only in the town for work, family, fitba. Not necessarily in that order.
I can get to Newcastle in just over two hours from my gaff yet it took me an hour and a half to get from ERI to home recently via Sherriffhall. The most car unfriendly city going and a complete pain in the erse to get around.
Rant over

Hibrandenburg
27-07-2021, 10:39 PM
Born in Leith, dragged up in Wallyford and the Wimpies Scheme. Made a few bad decisions in my middle to late teens and left to join the army sharpish. I've been a staunch lobbyists for both Hibs and Edinburgh wherever I've been and converted many from beyond these shores to follow the Hibs results at least. Edinburgh without Hibs just wouldn't be right and there'd be no Hibs without Edinburgh, they can't be separated, at least not in my heart.

TelaStella
27-07-2021, 10:55 PM
Like many I’ve been raised in Leith, loved it. Especially when things were tough and often they could be, I would be able to escape it all through the streets and metropolis of what was home. Like many and a couple posters on here, Leith had eventually had its time with us. Rent prices being the main infantry of this millennial assault of gentrification. Before long we had to relocate ourselves to Niddrie. It wasn’t much longer after this I could feel the affinity I once had for my home city diminishing further and further. The riches and attractions of the Athens of the North felt like a world away from EH16 like it will for many others in EH4,5 and 14. ‘Disney Land’ is often thrown about these days but doesn’t half paint a commendable picture. When I moved through to Glasgow everything changed, the best decision of my life thus far and one I hold absolutely no regrets over whatsoever. One of the best cities you’ll ever be lucky enough to come across and having now lived in both, being raised in the other it’s absolutely no contest as far as I’m concerned and would never entertain some of the drivel that gets chucked at it. Also gives me the most immense pleasure I’ve found wearing a Hibs top away from a game; to the shops, out a run etc. Will either boil blood quietly or create a great crack otherwise, never any bother for it most importantly. Proud of where I come from. have always called myself a Leither and that will never change even beyond death. Just like my love for my club and my love for my home across the M8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Selkirkhibs
27-07-2021, 11:11 PM
Edinburgh used to be one of the most beautiful capital cities in the world. Today its being dragged down into tourism and tartan tat city center. Its still very beautiful compared to a heck of a lot of them but its become one that I as a lifelong citizen long to move out of. I'm currently seeking a move out of Edinburgh to somewhere i feel able to drive and park without too much bother. I grew up near Warriston and used to attend the greyhound racing the speedway racing and walk to Easter Road on matchday. It was a different place back then in my opinion. Today I live on the periphery of Edinburgh and am looking to move further afield as its no longer a city I recognise. They the council have made many horrible additions to Edinburgh but I note they never transformed the disgusting maroon colour that is the Lothian buses and driver uniforms that loudly state that Lothian will always be Heart of Midlothian dominated in their eyes. Once my move is complete I will never look back but will still attend ER whenever possible.

Mon the Cabbage and Scotland.

jgl07
27-07-2021, 11:55 PM
I was born in Shropshire but grew up in Manchester. After University I moved to work in Birmingham and live in Coventry. I stayed in Leicester for a spell and hated it. My employment then took me to Heriot-Watt University and I stayed in Leith for a while before I settled in Merchiston.

I eventually got fed up working at Heriot-Watt after they moved from Central Edinburgh to the wastelands of Riccarton. I changed jobs to work at Glasgow Caledonian University. I never had any desire to move out of Edinburgh to live in Glasgow even when my wife started working at Strathclyde University. We both commuted to Glasgow for some years. Twenty years on and I am still working in Glasgow. Having said that I have not been near Glasgow since March 2019 due to working at home regulations! So I am happy to work in Glasgow as long as I don’t have to live there!

When I moved to Edinburgh there wasn’t really any choice about a team to support. I always hated Rangers and didn’t particularly like Celtic either. I took an instant dislike to Hearts for some reason. I supported Manchester City from the early 1960’s. I recalled the brilliant Bobby Johnstone who joined City from Hibs and the disastrous signing of Arthur Mann from Hearts.

cocteautwin
28-07-2021, 02:22 AM
No need to make a choice really, can have them both. Born and bred in Edinburgh but I left as soon as I graduated Uni 35 years ago. Still have very strong feelings towards the city and it still feels home-like when I get back. I think my feelings towards Edinburgh would be less if it wasn’t for Hibs though. Hibs give such a strong connection to family and friends back home, even with my Jambo friends with the continued banter since we were kids. Also being a Hibs fan is great to start conversations with other football fans you meet when travelling the world. Edinburgh and Hibs, a winning combination.

erin go bragh
28-07-2021, 04:57 AM
Maybe Leith would have been a better choice for many to choose between,,, Hibs every time for me

The Modfather
28-07-2021, 09:29 AM
Edinburgh. The answer might have been different in my teens and twenties, but the older I get the more Hibs fall down my list of priorities. Although they will always be import.

Going against the grain, I’m an Edinburgh native. A Lochend-er, and now live on Balerno, but I still love Edinburgh. It’s not without its faults but not many cities can match the likes of Arthur Seat, Water Of Leith, Union Canal and the Pentlands on its doorstep. It’s the perfect size, and you don’t appreciate things taken for granted, like the bus system, until you visit other cities.

Just_Jimmy
28-07-2021, 10:19 AM
I'm a Fifer and a proud one, never lived in Edinburgh but I have fond memories because of Hibs. Hibs mean more to me than any city ever will.

being a distance away is hard especially when certain things pull at your heart to come home.

I'd like to come back to Scotland some time in the near future.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Since90+2
28-07-2021, 10:28 AM
Edinburgh. The answer might have been different in my teens and twenties, but the older I get the more Hibs fall down my list of priorities. Although they will always be import.

Going against the grain, I’m an Edinburgh native. A Lochend-er, and now live on Balerno, but I still love Edinburgh. It’s not without its faults but not many cities can match the likes of Arthur Seat, Water Of Leith, Union Canal and the Pentlands on its doorstep. It’s the perfect size, and you don’t appreciate things taken for granted, like the bus system, until you visit other cities.

Agreed. Edinburgh is a very good city to live in and certainly the equal of anywhere in the UK.

I'm not sure about the claims of it being the best city in the world though, that's stretching things a bit for me.

blackpoolhibs
28-07-2021, 12:22 PM
Leith now is nothing like the Leith of old. When I sold up and left I thought I was doing the wrong thing, I actually don't miss it at all apart from the short walk to ER on matchday.

Not for me, i still love coming home to Leith. :partyhibb

JohnM1875
28-07-2021, 12:31 PM
Not for me, i still love coming home to Leith. :partyhibb

Leith is a phenomenal place to live. Over the past decade lived in various places throughout Edinburgh. Morningside, Blackford, Canonmills and Granton but I'm so glad to be back in Leith now.

Full of character, characters, good pubs, places to eat and most importantly Hibs! What's not to like.

blackpoolhibs
28-07-2021, 12:32 PM
Leith is a phenomenal place to live. Over the past decade lived in various places throughout Edinburgh. Morningside, Blackford, Canonmills and Granton but I'm so glad to be back in Leith now.

Full of character, characters, good pubs, places to eat and most importantly Hibs! What's not to like.

Exactly. :agree:

Hibdan12
28-07-2021, 01:46 PM
Proud Weagie
Even prouder Hibee

PatHead
28-07-2021, 05:06 PM
Was at the funeral of my wife's aunt today. She was born and bred a Leither and very proud of the fact. At the service the minister commented on how if you ask any Leither where they are from they say Leith, not Edinburgh. He also mentioned how they pronounce Admiralty Street. Are both these things true.
In answer to the op I am proud to be from Edinburgh and a Hibby. Both have marked out who I am.

J-C
28-07-2021, 06:15 PM
Was at the funeral of my wife's aunt today. She was born and bred a Leither and very proud of the fact. At the service the minister commented on how if you ask any Leither where they are from they say Leith, not Edinburgh. He also mentioned how they pronounce Admiralty Street. Are both these things true.
In answer to the op I am proud to be from Edinburgh and a Hibby. Both have marked out who I am.

Admirality, a wee sneaky extra i is added.

Killiehibbie
28-07-2021, 07:47 PM
Admirality, a wee sneaky extra i is added.

You tell me now that it isn't as pronounced.

Greenfly
04-08-2021, 01:18 PM
I moved from Glasgow to Leith whilst still in my teens and had 10 great years there - still love it dearly and enjoy going back for visits. Edinburgh's a very impressive city aesthetically, historically etc. But in terms of facilities, resources, social infrastructure etc. it's no better than many others. I've lived rurally for nearly 30 years now (serious rural) and would never choose to move back to bright lights, big city as I love the quiet, space, peace etc.

As for Hibs, when they get in your blood they stay there despite all the heartache, frustration and despair. You can change where you live but I can't imagine ever living without Hibs.

Vini1875
04-08-2021, 02:58 PM
Edinburgh is the place Hibs are. It means very little to me, Hibs mean everything, only family comes before the Hibees and even then not all of them.

WeeRussell
04-08-2021, 03:01 PM
If I'm honest, I've probably missed being out and about in Edinburgh more than I have missed being at Easter Road. But then I've missed being out and about in general, and Easter Road is only for a couple of hours now and then, so hard to compare. And it probably says more about my love for alcohol than anything else.

As a young lad it would have been Hibs without question. Not so sure now. But possibly still Hibs :greengrin