PDA

View Full Version : Griffiths being loudly booed by Celtic fans

expresso
24-07-2021, 03:28 PM
Presumably over his social media antics?
Would be no surprise if they try to manoeuvre a swop + cash deal for Nisbet.
Cant see any way back for him at Parkhead.

hibbysam
24-07-2021, 03:30 PM

Don’t want him anywhere near Hibs now.

Iggy Pope
24-07-2021, 03:30 PM
Best fans in the world aren’t they.

Sir David Gray
24-07-2021, 03:39 PM
I'm surprised they've not "mutually consented" him.

green day
24-07-2021, 03:41 PM
I'm surprised they've not "mutually consented" him.

Was he not cleared by the police?

Iggy Pope
24-07-2021, 03:43 PM

Trial by Social Media including here.

matty_f
24-07-2021, 03:43 PM

Cleared of criminality.

CMurdoch
24-07-2021, 03:44 PM

I think not ........unless they pay up his contract which they won't and even then he would probably end up at Dens Park.
I like their new manager. Seems a take no **** guy who won't be pressured by knee jerk fans moaning or Griffiths antics and excuses.
He could be the guy that Griffiths needs.
Is the baw bag still posting on social media or has the penny finally dropped after a near career shipwreck?
Griffiths has to ride out the storm and the only way to do that is keep his head down, work hard, eat well and force his way into the team through hard work and once in do the business. Biggest season of his career.

Keith_M
24-07-2021, 03:44 PM
Question for the OP:

Are you at the game?

:dunno:

hibbysam
24-07-2021, 03:46 PM

Doesn’t change the morals of the whole thing.

flash
24-07-2021, 03:51 PM
Not for me thanks.

silverhibee
24-07-2021, 03:51 PM
It won’t just be his own fans when the league starts, he will get pelters at every ground he goes to from home fans.

H18S NX
24-07-2021, 03:52 PM
Watched the game,it was a mix of booing AND cheering.

Iggy Pope
24-07-2021, 03:56 PM
It won’t just be his own fans when the league starts, he will get pelters at every ground he goes to from home fans.

Would make an appearance at Easter Road interesting I think.

Iggy Pope
24-07-2021, 03:57 PM
Watched the game,it was a mix of booing AND cheering.

Who were they playing what was the score?

Northernhibee
24-07-2021, 03:58 PM
Trial by Social Media including here.

Just because there’s no legal case doesn’t mean there’s not a moral case.

If a 30 year old man uses his status to try to get young woman to send him pics, that’s a ****my move.

matty_f
24-07-2021, 03:58 PM
Who were they playing what was the score?

West Ham. They got beat 2-6.

silverhibee
24-07-2021, 03:59 PM
2-6, Angie not getting of to a great start, fancy Midtjylland to beat Celtc on Wednesday.

Orchard_Hibs
24-07-2021, 03:59 PM
It a tricky one, he’s been cleared by the police but in the eyes of many his behaviour is morally wrong.

You don’t have to commit a crime to be looked down upon for your actions. I remember going to a funeral of a ex girlfriends family member in chapelhall, the son and daughter of the dead where in some kind of war over the will and there was mass out rage at the daughter as she was going out with a Indian fella, I thought the outrage should have been over the fact she was 56 and he was 17 but there you go.

expresso
24-07-2021, 04:00 PM
Question for the OP:

Are you at the game?

:dunno:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leigh-griffiths-booed-celtic-return-24609489

No

:na na:

Iggy Pope
24-07-2021, 04:01 PM
Just because there’s no legal case doesn’t mean there’s not a moral case.

If a 30 year old man uses his status to try to get young woman to send him pics, that’s a ****my move.

OK. These old 30 year old guys and young women eh?
I’ll leave it now.

Iggy Pope
24-07-2021, 04:02 PM
West Ham. They got beat 2-6.

Ouch.

Northernhibee
24-07-2021, 04:03 PM
OK. These old 30 year old guys and young women eh?
I’ll leave it now.

You’re either missing the potential abuse of power and status deliberately or deliberately there. That’s the biggest issue there.

madbadlad
24-07-2021, 04:09 PM
Doesn’t change the morals of the whole thing.
It does if you are a utilitarian.

Iggy Pope
24-07-2021, 04:09 PM
Did I read 18,000 at Celtic today? What’s changed in a couple of days?

Mr. Wonderful
24-07-2021, 04:10 PM
2-6, Angie not getting of to a great start, fancy Midtjylland to beat Celtc on Wednesday.

They would've leathered them if Bitton hadn't ballsed it for them. Was impressed with their football until that point, especially for having so many youngsters playing where new signings inevitably will.

Probably won't trouble the huns this season though.

Sir David Gray
24-07-2021, 04:27 PM

Yep doesn't stop Celtic getting rid of him though.

hibbysam
24-07-2021, 04:30 PM
You’re either missing the potential abuse of power and status deliberately or deliberately there. That’s the biggest issue there.

Plus the fact he has a girlfriend at home while making these ‘moves’. All in all a fairly ****my experience which paints Griffiths in very poor light.

Andy74
24-07-2021, 04:31 PM

You think none of our players use being a footballer to try and pull women?

Andy74
24-07-2021, 04:32 PM
Plus the fact he has a girlfriend at home while making these ‘moves’. All in all a fairly ****my experience which paints Griffiths in very poor light.

Getting a little daft now if this is how we would be assessing signings. That’s up to him and his girlfriend.

H18S NX
24-07-2021, 04:42 PM
Did I read 18,000 at Celtic today? What’s changed in a couple of days?...YES,that's what they said.

green day
24-07-2021, 04:44 PM
Yep doesn't stop Celtic getting rid of him though.
Yeah I wasn't making a comment on the morality of what he did - that's kinda between him and his missus.

However if Celtic wanted to bin him and he hadn't been convicted of something then they would need to pay his contract up entirely - and imo he would get another club immediately.

I don't see them doing it, in fact I imagine the new boss will use this as a lever to get the best out of him.

He's been a bit of a fool though......

Northernhibee
24-07-2021, 04:46 PM
You think none of our players use being a footballer to try and pull women?

Do you think they use their social media accounts to try and get them to send photos of them?

hibbysam
24-07-2021, 04:48 PM
Getting a little daft now if this is how we would be assessing signings. That’s up to him and his girlfriend.

Yeah, up to him to go chasing 16 year old girls while having a girlfriend in the house. Illegal? No, morally wrong? Absolutely. Nobody will change my mind, or many others on that.

Andy74
24-07-2021, 04:51 PM
Yeah, up to him to go chasing 16 year old girls while having a girlfriend in the house. Illegal? No, morally wrong? Absolutely. Nobody will change my mind, or many others on that.

Yeah but so what? Nothing to do with being a football player.

Keith_M
24-07-2021, 04:59 PM
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leigh-griffiths-booed-celtic-return-24609489

No

It was just curiosity as to how you knew.

No accusations intended, honestly

:wink:

Keith_M
24-07-2021, 05:03 PM

I'm not going to state my view on this either way, but it's only fair to point out that he didn't actually know she was 16. It's entirely possible he would have behaved completely differently if he had known.

There's obviously no question that his partner will be very unhappy with him for asking some random woman on the internet for some sexy photos... but that's a different matter entirely and hardly marks him out as morally inferior to a large number of fellow professionals.

CMurdoch
24-07-2021, 05:15 PM

No

According to that article Griffiths was "placed under an internal probe" :greengrin which sounds both impossible and illegal.
Daily Record - Written by thickos for thickos

B.H.F.C
24-07-2021, 05:20 PM
Yeah but so what? Nothing to do with being a football player.

Chasing 16 year old lassies around, the negative media attention it brings and so on does seem to effect his ability to be a decent football player though.

Smartie
24-07-2021, 05:23 PM
His contract extension was pretty contentious before the “pics” stuff happened.

My mate is a Celtic fan and he was distinctly unimpressed that he was being offered another last chance, given his issues over the past few years.

He also says that other than one or two wee bursts of form, he’s largely been pretty poor for them.

dp00
24-07-2021, 05:25 PM
End of the day if he comes on during the week and scores the winning goal for them or scores the winning goal against Rangers he will be back to being a hero

It’s his GF I feel sorry for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibbysam
24-07-2021, 05:41 PM
I'm not going to state my view on this either way, but it's only fair to point out that he didn't actually know she was 16. It's entirely possible he would have behaved completely differently if he had known.

There's obviously no question that his partner will be very unhappy with him for asking some random woman on the internet for some sexy photos... but that's a different matter entirely and hardly marks him out as morally inferior to a large number of fellow professionals.

That’s his responsibility. He’s a very lucky boy that she wasn’t a year younger.

Iggy Pope
24-07-2021, 05:44 PM
...YES,that's what they said.

…THANKS for that.:thumbsup:

24-07-2021, 06:20 PM
That’s his responsibility. He’s a very lucky boy that she wasn’t a year younger.

But she wasn’t though. Who cares. Plenty of here were praising the England team as a great bunch of lads despite one of them cheating on his pregnant girlfriend and another being a few parked cars away from mowing down pedestrians. Anyone using football players as some sort of moral compass is a moron. They’re largely uneducated idiots with loads of money.

hibbysam
24-07-2021, 06:30 PM
But she wasn’t though. Who cares. Plenty of here were praising the England team as a great bunch of lads despite one of them cheating on his pregnant girlfriend and another being a few parked cars away from mowing down pedestrians. Anyone using football players as some sort of moral compass is a moron. They’re largely uneducated idiots with loads of money.

That makes everything ok then!! 30 year olds going after 16 year olds are creeps, simple as that. Illegal or not.

The Count
24-07-2021, 06:42 PM
Wanted Griffiths to finish his career at Hibs.However behaviour wise and footballing wise i am now not sure.

Juice-Terry
24-07-2021, 07:07 PM
No it doesn't.

Sir David Gray
24-07-2021, 07:09 PM
Wanted Griffiths to finish his career at Hibs.However behaviour wise and footballing wise i am now not sure.

I'm sure - I wouldn't want him anywhere near Hibs now.

hibbysam
24-07-2021, 07:14 PM
I'm sure - I wouldn't want him anywhere near Hibs now.

Correct. Never ever wanted him to come at the end of his career, would’ve taken him in the last couple of years but no chance now.

brog
24-07-2021, 07:56 PM
The 1st 2 LG threads were shut down. Now we have the same old arguments from those threads being rehashed. The only fact about this whole sad affair is that no one on here knows the true story. Time to go for a hat trick admins!

Selkirkhibs
24-07-2021, 08:17 PM
If he came back to hibs and did the business for us scoring a barrow load of goals and assists his indiscretion would soon be forgotten about. He's been a fool but nothing criminal. I'd be all for giving Leigh a chance. We're all human and guaranteed to make mistakes in life.

Mr. Wonderful
24-07-2021, 08:24 PM
It's a shame that you can be cleared of other crimes and its forgotten about, but with others the tag will stick - particularly if you're in the spotlight.

Griffiths behaved atrociously and he's embarrassed himself and his family but he's not a "nonce" until proven guilty, and he was cleared.

If the celtic fans are booing because he's messed up one too many chances then fair enough, but if it's because they see him as the above then that's a shame and I worry for the future of LG with that tag hanging over him.

JimBHibees
24-07-2021, 09:33 PM

Think Celtic will beat them thought they were poor.

tamig
24-07-2021, 11:35 PM
It's a shame that you can be cleared of other crimes and its forgotten about, but with others the tag will stick - particularly if you're in the spotlight.

Griffiths behaved atrociously and he's embarrassed himself and his family but he's not a "nonce" until proven guilty, and he was cleared.

If the celtic fans are booing because he's messed up one too many chances then fair enough, but if it's because they see him as the above then that's a shame and I worry for the future of LG with that tag hanging over him.
He wasn’t cleared. He wasn’t charged.

AgentDaleCooper
25-07-2021, 01:15 AM

That's not utilitarianism. Utilitarianism is about consequences. You are actually conflating morality with legality. In a perfect world they would mirror each other, but in reality they don't.

Can we not all just agree that he's a creep, not worthy of a hibs shirt and move on?

FilipinoHibs
25-07-2021, 07:54 AM
That's not utilitarianism. Utilitarianism is about consequences. You are actually conflating morality with legality. In a perfect world they would mirror each other, but in reality they don't.

Can we not all just agree that he's a creep, not worthy of a hibs shirt and move on?

That ship has sailed. Speed boat Mueller arriving soon.

heretoday
25-07-2021, 08:02 AM

You're right and I wouldn't use Celtic fans as moral arbiters anyway. Equally, I wouldn't have any truck with Griffiths because he just carries too much baggage. I doubt Hibs would touch him with a bargepole now.

easty
25-07-2021, 08:53 AM
Do you think they use their social media accounts to try and get them to send photos of them?

You’d have to be massively naive to believe otherwise.

green day
25-07-2021, 09:39 AM
He wasn’t cleared. He wasn’t charged.

Yep, I dont think what he did was particularly clever, and he really needs to have a rethink of his online behaviour.

But hes a lot closer to a guy looking at girls lying sunbathing in the Meadows than he is to Jeffrey Epstein.

Northernhibee
25-07-2021, 09:54 AM
You’d have to be massively naive to believe otherwise.

If you have evidence of this then I’d suggest you forward it to the club.

MWHIBBIES
25-07-2021, 10:00 AM
Celtic can do what they like, no way Hibs will take Griffiths and Nisbet isn't leaving this summer

Andy74
25-07-2021, 10:06 AM

Why?

Northernhibee
25-07-2021, 10:16 AM
Why?

Because it’s morally repugnant if someone was to use their status as a Hibernian footballer to pressure a young follower on social media into sending pictures with any sexual nature to them.

flash
25-07-2021, 10:31 AM
Celtic can do what they like, no way Hibs will take Griffiths and Nisbet isn't leaving this summer

Agree with your first point but not so sure about the second much as I hope it goes that way.

number7
25-07-2021, 10:32 AM
I wonder how many of those on here lambasting Griffiths are fans of the "legend" that was George Best? And would they still be if there was social media back then. Pretty sure leigh would look like an angel in comparison. Anyone think he didn't bed many young females?

Brightside
25-07-2021, 10:33 AM

Agree with the Griff point. The other is wishful thinking. And we all wish the same.

MWHIBBIES
25-07-2021, 10:47 AM
Agree with your first point but not so sure about the second much as I hope it goes that way.

Agree with the Griff point. The other is wishful thinking. And we all wish the same.

We'd be pushing much harder for a striker and probably have them in already if Nisbet was currently involved in transfer bids. I personally think he's been told he can go wherever he wants next summer, but Hibs want him to push on this season. Same with Doig.

hibbysam
25-07-2021, 10:49 AM
I wonder how many of those on here lambasting Griffiths are fans of the "legend" that was George Best? And would they still be if there was social media back then. Pretty sure leigh would look like an angel in comparison. Anyone think he didn't bed many young females?

I’d rather not make up crude rumours about a man that can’t defend himself against them, unless you have any proof of a 30 year old Best getting up to no good with a barely legal teen.

hibbysam
25-07-2021, 10:50 AM
We'd be pushing much harder for a striker and probably have them in already if Nisbet was currently involved in transfer bids. I personally think he's been told he can go wherever he wants next summer, but Hibs want him to push on this season. Same with Doig.

Or possibly similar to McGinn in that we keep him until at least after our European run which may then increase his value again.

MWHIBBIES
25-07-2021, 10:51 AM
Or possibly similar to McGinn in that we keep him until at least after our European run which may then increase his value again.

I'd hope we'd learned something from that. Didn't work out well for us in midfield.

If a player is leaving, you get him replaced asap. I don't want a striker coming in late, not trained with the team, zero confidence etc.

Brightside
25-07-2021, 10:55 AM

We are pushing to get Mueller in this window. My assumption that’s due to us thinking more will come for Nis.

Andy74
Because it’s morally repugnant if someone was to use their status as a Hibernian footballer to pressure a young follower on social media into sending pictures with any sexual nature to them.

Again, so what? To what extent are you checking on the morals of all or employees?

How would you know they are using their status in any case, how would you assess the pressure being put on, and are you going to be checking out the nightclubs of Edinburgh for similar behaviour.

I get you don’t like it but it’s nothing to do with their ability to be employed by us as football players.

Scouse Hibee

Why stop at Best, list all of the stars of previous eras! Poor post.

MWHIBBIES
25-07-2021, 11:01 AM
We are pushing to get Mueller in this window. My assumption that’s due to us thinking more will come for Nis.

Seems like he was a long term target anyway. And I doubt we'd be leaving it up to such chance, because his club will likely just say no.

number7
25-07-2021, 11:04 AM

Oh I do apologise for the poor post sir 😄

number7
25-07-2021, 11:06 AM
I’d rather not make up crude rumours about a man that can’t defend himself against them, unless you have any proof of a 30 year old Best getting up to no good with a barely legal teen.

😇

Scouse Hibee
25-07-2021, 12:25 PM
Oh I do apologise for the poor post sir 😄

Good, thank you.

Frazerbob
25-07-2021, 12:32 PM
What a smashing thread 🤣

number7
25-07-2021, 12:52 PM

Don't really see the point in your post anyway. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of so many people who are so self righteous and never put a foot wrong in this life.

easty
25-07-2021, 01:05 PM

I don’t have evidence, I do have a grasp on reality of social media nowadays though.

Not that I think it’s of any business/interest to the club, what the players are doing with regards to that kind of thing.

hibbysam
25-07-2021, 01:16 PM
Don't really see the point in your post anyway. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of so many people who are so self righteous and never put a foot wrong in this life.

No angel but certainly wouldn’t be chatting up 16 year olds at my age that’s for sure and I’m younger than LG. Creepy.

easty
25-07-2021, 01:19 PM
No angel but certainly wouldn’t be chatting up 16 year olds at my age that’s for sure and I’m younger than LG. Creepy.

He didn’t know she was 16. The girl said so.

hibbysam
25-07-2021, 01:21 PM

Was she 16? Yes she was. The fact he never asked is his problem. The facts are that he's 30, shes 16, it’s horrible. Ignorance is no excuse.

JohnM1875
25-07-2021, 01:22 PM

She might not look 16 but she definitely doesn't look much older. He's literally twice her age. It's extremely creepy and wrong even if there is no criminality.

Keith_M
25-07-2021, 01:30 PM
Personally, I always demand to see my wife's birth certificate any time she gets a bit frisky.

Better safe than sorry.

easty
25-07-2021, 01:31 PM
She might not look 16 but she definitely doesn't look much older. He's literally twice her age. It's extremely creepy and wrong even if there is no criminality.

Have you actually seen the photo that he responded to? It’s out there.

If you have seen it, I’ve no idea how you can say she didn’t look much older than 16. You couldn’t even see her face. Her phone was covering it. What you could see was someone in their bra and pants.

JohnM1875
25-07-2021, 01:39 PM
Have you actually seen the photo that he responded to? It’s out there.

If you have seen it, I’ve no idea how you can say she didn’t look much older than 16. You couldn’t even see her face. Her phone was covering it. What you could see was someone in their bra and pants.

Think you've mentioned a few times that's she's in her bra and pants. So what? Because she is does that mean she's fair game for creepers to be sending her messages asking for pics?

Don't see any difference to her posting a pic in her bra and pants to all the pics you see of folk posting pics in their bikinis on holiday etc.

easty
25-07-2021, 01:45 PM
Think you've mentioned a few times that's she's in her bra and pants. So what? Because she is does that mean she's fair game for creepers to be sending her messages asking for pics?

Don't see any difference to her posting a pic in her bra and pants to all the pics you see of folk posting pics in their bikinis on holiday etc.

No, I’m saying you can’t see her age from the photo. I’m saying that you don’t assume that someone posting a photo like that is 16.

I’d say there is a difference between posting a photo in your underwear, than posting a photo in a bikini.

JohnM1875
25-07-2021, 01:49 PM
No, I’m saying you can’t see her age from the photo. I’m saying that you don’t assume that someone posting a photo like that is 16.

I’d say there is a difference between posting a photo in your underwear, than posting a photo in a bikini.

Fair enough.

Personally think it's creepy asking lassies to send you pictures regardless of their age anyway. Like you say, I get it happens and it's probably common with the youth. Doesn't mean it's right though.

Dunno, have you seen some bikinis kicking about these days!

Hibernia&Alba
25-07-2021, 05:04 PM
He has to face the consequences of his actions. He behaved appallingly (again) and the people who help pay his wages aren't happy with him. Will it make him think deeply about his conduct? I have my doubts.

Scouse Hibee
25-07-2021, 11:26 PM

Yes of course you are 🙄

Steve20
26-07-2021, 05:52 AM
It's shocking that people on here trying to defend him. His behaviour is deplorable. If he hadn't played briefly for Hibs, I doubt people would be treating this so lightly.
A 30 year old asking a 16 year old for pics? Horrible.

I'm shocked Celtic aren't trying to move him on.

MWHIBBIES
26-07-2021, 06:00 AM
Is an adult getting pics from a 16 year old actually legal? Thought it was 18 for things like that?

CentreLine
26-07-2021, 06:47 AM
Is an adult getting pics from a 16 year old actually legal? Thought it was 18 for things like that?

Not very tasteful but clearly legal, as the police enquiry confirmed.

History is littered with examples of what was legal but not necessarily palatable. John Knox, at the age of 54, married his second wife when she was a child who may have been as old as 15, likely 14. Even our present PM is 14 years senior to his present wife.
Whether we like it or not the age of consent in the UK is 16 and there is no legal definition of what is a suitable age difference between “adults”. What LG did seems a bit creepy but it’s legal.

MWHIBBIES
26-07-2021, 08:31 AM

History is littered with examples of what was legal but not necessarily palatable. John Knox, at the age of 54, married his second wife when she was a child who may have been as old as 15, likely 14. Even our present PM is 14 years senior to his present wife.
Whether we like it or not the age of consent in the UK is 16 and there is no legal definition of what is a suitable age difference between “adults”. What LG did seems a bit creepy but it’s legal.
I always thought the age of consent, 16, is different from the age for porn/dirty pics or whatever. Isn't that 18? Google seems to say so.

jacomo
26-07-2021, 09:31 AM

Well maybe: the police may have just concluded that there is little or no chance of a conviction. Perhaps the evidence is too ambiguous to stand up in court, despite most observers seeming to be fairly convinced about LG’s intentions.

CentreLine
26-07-2021, 09:38 AM
I always thought the age of consent, 16, is different from the age for porn/dirty pics or whatever. Isn't that 18? Google seems to say so.

Yes, there are things we would like to be in life and then there is what the law says. I’m afraid I’m not much more up on the porno stuff since a mate turned up with 35mm Swedish movies in the 1970s. That’s when I was as young or younger than the girl LG seems to have contacted and the ladies in the movies seemed very mature but I suspect the polis have a handle on it

Brightside
26-07-2021, 09:59 AM
Set aside all the online stuff. I dont want him at Hibs. I think we have a great group right now and he's just not what we need. imo.

bigwheel
26-07-2021, 09:59 AM
Set aside all the online stuff. I dont want him at Hibs. I think we have a great group right now and he's just not what we need. imo.

This is where I am …

CentreLine
26-07-2021, 10:02 AM
Well maybe: the police may have just concluded that there is little or no chance of a conviction. Perhaps the evidence is too ambiguous to stand up in court, despite most observers seeming to be fairly convinced about LG’s intentions.

The reported police response was that there was “no criminality”
I’m not about to defend LG but let’s not make stuff up in order to promote an agenda.

CentreLine
26-07-2021, 10:03 AM

Yep. That covers it for me

26-07-2021, 10:04 AM

Could be this. Did he not just do a couple of camera emojis and despite her having several attempts to get him to say send more pics by acting coy and saying she didn't understand he never came straight out and asked for them? Hard to win a legal case just based on that. There could be more to it as I only briefly read the story.

Selkirkhibs
26-07-2021, 10:11 AM
I’m not about to defend LG but let’s not make stuff up in order to promote an agenda.

Yip. Thankfully we live in a civilised society under the rule of law. He's committed no criminal offence. Therefore all we are hearing are individuals airing their own personal moral viewpoints. My own opinion is that he's been foolhardy and no more than that which shouldn't cost him his ability to ply his trade as a footballer.

shetlandhibee
26-07-2021, 10:19 AM
Yip. Thankfully we live in a civilised society under the rule of law. He's committed no criminal offence. Therefore all we are hearing are individuals airing their own personal moral viewpoints. My own opinion is that he's been foolhardy and no more than that which shouldn't cost him his ability to ply his trade as a footballer.
100% this 👍 some witch hunt going on?

jacomo
26-07-2021, 10:41 AM

Ok thanks for the clarification. I’m not making up anything or pursuing an agenda here… I think we should all be very cautious when commenting on legal matters.

mcohibs
26-07-2021, 10:49 AM
Griffiths will get nowhere near our club and rightly so.

hibsbollah
26-07-2021, 10:57 AM

Neither John Knox or Boris Johnson are being touted as the answer to our striker need though.

26-07-2021, 11:10 AM
Neither John Knox or Boris Johnson are being touted as the answer to our striker need though.

That's because Boris is more of a right winger.

Keith_M
26-07-2021, 11:16 AM

I hear Boris has some skills in touch rugby... but only if you ignore the actual rules and need a fat slob to barge into some small kids to win the ball.

Knox might just be a bit problematical with his (alleged) views on Catholics.

Any 1970s TV entertainers are definitely a no-go area, before somebody suggests one...

superfurryhibby
26-07-2021, 11:20 AM
Could be this. Did he not just do a couple of camera emojis and despite her having several attempts to get him to say send more pics by acting coy and saying she didn't understand he never came straight out and asked for them? Hard to win a legal case just based on that. There could be more to it as I only briefly read the story.

Call me cynical, but it's almost like he was set up. Surely that would never happen?

That said, Griffiths has been a fool.

DTS
26-07-2021, 11:42 AM
The moment he signed a new deal at Celtic was the moment I didn’t want to see LG in a hibs top again. He had the chance to move on and didn’t. Since then all this has come out and although no “illegal behaviour” what he done is simply disgusting and shouldn’t be anywhere near hibs or IMO any football club. Football thrives on fans and kids loving the game and idolising players, when players try to use it to their advantage in ways that he did, it’s just wrong.

Don’t want him as a footballer, don’t want him as a person.

.Sean.
26-07-2021, 11:46 AM
The moment he signed a new deal at Celtic was the moment I didn’t want to see LG in a hibs top again. He had the chance to move on and didn’t. Since then all this has come out and although no “illegal behaviour” what he done is simply disgusting and shouldn’t be anywhere near hibs or IMO any football club. Football thrives on fans and kids loving the game and idolising players, when players try to use it to their advantage in ways that he did, it’s just wrong.

:agree:

hibbysam
26-07-2021, 12:28 PM

100%.

Andy74
26-07-2021, 12:35 PM

A bit dramatic for asking a girl who’d already posted pics of herself in her underwear for more pictures.

Where do you stand on Martin Boyle playing for Hibs after being found guilty of driving when three times the alcohol limit?

jeffers
26-07-2021, 12:43 PM
A bit dramatic for asking a girl who’d already posted pics of herself in her underwear for more pictures.

Where do you stand on Martin Boyle playing for Hibs after being found guilty of driving when three times the alcohol limit?

Glad someone brought that up. LG’s behaviour was questionable but IMO Boyle’s was worse. I never wanted the latter to leave Hibs and I’d take the former back in a minute. Both made mistakes, they are both human.

WhileTheChief..
26-07-2021, 12:44 PM
He’s not even being linked to Hibs. Wtf are you discussing him so much??

WhileTheChief..
26-07-2021, 12:47 PM

The drink-drive thing doesn’t give people the opportunity to demonstrate their self-righteousness quite so much.

The excuse making for Boyle back then was incredible. If it had been a player that we see as being a bit gash he’s have been hounded out the door.

mcohibs
26-07-2021, 12:49 PM

Exactly

Northernhibee
26-07-2021, 12:50 PM
What this lassie has posted on her social media pages is up to her. It’s not up to her. She doesn’t get the choice of someone almost double her age creeping on her.

It’s the same argument as someone harassed on the way home from the pub being judged to be “asking for it” because they’ve worn a short skirt.

Since452
26-07-2021, 12:52 PM
Celtic player booed by Celtic fans. Celtic's problem not ours.

greenginger
26-07-2021, 01:03 PM
The drink-drive thing doesn’t give people the opportunity to demonstrate their self-righteousness quite so much.

The excuse making for Boyle back then was incredible. If it had been a player that we see as being a bit gash he’s have been hounded out the door.

And I don’t recall too much angst when one of our favourite players returned to pre season with a 14/15 year old wife.

Peevemor
26-07-2021, 01:10 PM
And I don’t recall too much angst when one of our favourite players returned to pre season with a 14/15 year old wife.

If you're speaking about Zemmama, she was 17.

shetlandhibee
26-07-2021, 01:12 PM

I know the self righteous comments that’s coming out now is embarrassing IMO and it certainly isn’t as bad as drink driving, if he had signed for hibs this summer half this comments wouldn’t be appearing, …

HoboHarry
26-07-2021, 01:14 PM
That statement is nonsense about being 14/15.

Baader
26-07-2021, 01:18 PM

Did a Jambo tell you that?

greenginger
26-07-2021, 01:21 PM
If you're speaking about Zemmama, she was 17.

My mistake, I just remembered something about her being underage .

Peevemor
26-07-2021, 01:26 PM
My mistake, I just remembered something about her being underage .

At the time the requirement was that she had to be 18 to obtain a resident's permit (or whatever it's called). As she was only 17 Zemmama went away on loan with the plan being to return with her a year later.

DTS
26-07-2021, 01:27 PM

No no you’re right, the girls posted things on her social media so that means men(or woman) almost double her age have every right to ask for more pictures of her, how on earth could I not have realised that.

The Boyle point is pretty irrelevant to my post, football as an industry thrives on fans and fans young fans being into the sport to drive revenue. I assume Boyle rightfully lost his license and I hope nobody was hurt(don’t really know the case).

Anthony Soprano
26-07-2021, 01:36 PM

Foolhardy is being generous. Great footballer but the guys an absolute moron.

Andy74
26-07-2021, 02:05 PM
No no you’re right, the girls posted things on her social media so that means men(or woman) almost double her age have every right to ask for more pictures of her, how on earth could I not have realised that.

The Boyle point is pretty irrelevant to my post, football as an industry thrives on fans and fans young fans being into the sport to drive revenue. I assume Boyle rightfully lost his license and I hope nobody was hurt(don’t really know the case).

If we’re going to worry about the morals of footballers at least let’s keep it consistent.

Selkirkhibs
26-07-2021, 02:19 PM
Foolhardy is being generous. Great footballer but the guys an absolute moron.

I genuinely think 'Foolhardy' fully describes his non criminal behaviour. Foolhardy means the following - reckless, rash, careless, thoughtless, unwise, hasty, imprudent, irresponsible, madcap, hot headed etc etc.

What words would you use instead?

Peevemor
26-07-2021, 02:27 PM
I genuinely think 'Foolhardy' fully describes his non criminal behaviour. Foolhardy means the following - reckless, rash, careless, thoughtless, unwise, hasty, imprudent, irresponsible, madcap, hot headed etc etc.

What words would you use instead?

I think he's an idiot for doing what he did - which, it seems, wasn't very much, but as a public figure he should have been more careful.

However, the good thing about this thread is that there are so many Hibs fans around who have never made a stupid mistake in their life and who wouldn't expect any attempt at understanding or tolerance even if they did.

hibsbollah
26-07-2021, 02:27 PM
I recall when he was our player (well, on loan from Wolves anyway), he told a boy on Twitter with an Asian sounding name to ‘get back to your own country’. The reaction on here IIRC was largely to defend him. Then there was the Sainsbury’s ‘lucozade escapade’ , less bad more stupid, and in general he has plenty previous. But Let’s be honest, how we react to a player’s indiscretions or outright badness depends on whether they’re wearing our shirt or not.

Anthony Soprano
26-07-2021, 02:29 PM
I recall when he was our player (well, on loan from Wolves anyway), he told a boy on Twitter with an Asian sounding name to ‘get back to your own country’. The reaction on here IIRC was largely to defend him. Then there was the Sainsbury’s ‘lucozade escapade’ , less bad more stupid, and in general he has plenty previous. But Let’s be honest, how we react to a player’s indiscretions or outright badness depends on whether they’re wearing our shirt or not.

^^^

Can't believe there are still so many out to defend him.

Bangkok Hibby
26-07-2021, 02:33 PM
I think he's an idiot for doing what he did - which, it seems, wasn't very much, but as a public figure he should have been more careful.

However, the good thing about this thread is that there are so many Hibs fans around who have never made a stupid mistake in their life and who wouldn't expect any attempt at understanding or tolerance even if they did.

Everything about this thread in a nutshell. Well said sir!

Smartie
26-07-2021, 02:38 PM

I’ve made many mistakes.

I’ve also heeded warnings, and bucked up my ideas when in the last chance saloon.

There’s a time when someone becomes more trouble than they’re worth.

We ended up there with Stokes.

Selkirkhibs
26-07-2021, 02:53 PM

:top marks

andrew70
26-07-2021, 02:54 PM
I’ve made many mistakes.

I’ve also heeded warnings, and bucked up my ideas when in the last chance saloon.

After he won us a Scottish Cup. Unpopular though it may be Griffiths would improve us.

Success is what matters. Cleared of any criminality, Celtic fans using this to get rid of a player they didn't want to re-sign anyway. If he's available we have to look at ways to bring him in IMO.

Peevemor
26-07-2021, 02:56 PM
I’ve made many mistakes.

I agree but Griffiths isn't our player and only recently signed a new deal with Celtic.

Even before this latest episode became public, I don't think there was any way he was coming to Hibs - at least not during this window.

That he's done too much daft stuff isn't even up for debate IMO, and TBH it's probably the last straw as far as I'm concerned, but I think people are going well OTT with this particular incident.

neil7908
26-07-2021, 04:31 PM

But which mistake are we being tolerant of? The Rudi Skacel thing, "go back to where you came from", getting done for shop lifting, this incident? Those are only the ones I remember off the top of my head but I'm sure there are anymore. I'm for 2nd chances but Leigh must be on his 5th or 6th 'daft mistake' by now.

Leigh isn't 18 or 21. He's a 30 year old who keeps telling the public he's got himself sorted and is desperate to play football. But there always seems to be other matters that get in the way.

Peevemor
26-07-2021, 04:34 PM
But which mistake are we tolerant of?

Not any one in particular because he's not our player.

Onceinawhile
26-07-2021, 04:41 PM
Leigh isn't 18 or 21. He's a 30 year old who keeps telling the public he's got himself sorted and is desperate to play football. But there always seems to be other matters that get in the way.

This is the key bit for me.

He's on his 5th or 6th chance now and he's no longer got the being a young stupid boy excuse.

Smartie
26-07-2021, 04:49 PM
After he won us a Scottish Cup. Unpopular though it may be Griffiths would improve us.

Success is what matters. Cleared of any criminality, Celtic fans using this to get rid of a player they didn't want to re-sign anyway. If he's available we have to look at ways to bring him in IMO.

He’s had mental health issues over the past couple of years. Do you think that (whilst ignoring anything else) if he was bombed out by Celtic and got dogs abuse at every ground he played at (as well as probably getting called a beast in the street everywhere he goes) he’d be able to block it all out and play as well as he can?

What do you think would come first - the stage at which he was no longer good enough to play for Hibs, the end of his contract, or the next time he f****d up to the extent that irrespective of the rights and wrongs of the particular situation that a sizeable chunk of our support would want him nowhere near our club?

worcesterhibby
26-07-2021, 05:13 PM

You make a very good point. I don't want him back at Hibs because I think Jack Ross is building a very professional, happy squad and I honestly think Griff would disrupt that and the next drama is just round the corner when it comes to his life choices. However some of the self rightous comments on here are unnecessary.

hhibs
26-07-2021, 06:02 PM
I agree but Griffiths isn't our player and only recently signed a new deal with Celtic.

Even before this latest episode became public, I don't think there was any way he was coming to Hibs - at least not during this window.

That he's done too much daft stuff isn't even up for debate IMO, and TBH it's probably the last straw as far as I'm concerned, but I think people are going well OTT with this particular incident.

In a nutshell,thanks.

CentreLine
26-07-2021, 06:31 PM
Ok thanks for the clarification. I’m not making up anything or pursuing an agenda here… I think we should all be very cautious when commenting on legal matters.

👍🏻 Well said

mcohibs
26-07-2021, 06:42 PM
Baffles me why some would think he'd be motivated to put in performances for Hibs week in week out when he couldn't get himself fit for celtic's biggest season in decades or a chance to pretty much walk into the national side playing at a major tournament for the first time in a generation. Dodged a bullet by not signing him.

JimBHibees
26-07-2021, 06:53 PM
Baffles me why some would think he'd be motivated to put in performances for Hibs week in week out when he couldn't get himself fit for celtic's biggest season in decades or a chance to pretty much walk into the national side playing at a major tournament for the first time in a generation. Dodged a bullet by not signing him.

Pretty valid point to be honest.

calumhibee1
26-07-2021, 07:01 PM

When he was picked last season he had a pretty decent record. One of the best in the league.

Whilst he may have had some issues around motivation and fitness, I’d question whether the extent of them was overplayed by a certain manager who just can’t help himself from throwing folk under the bus to try to save face.

Get him on the pitch and he’ll do the business, whether that’s at Celtic, Hibs, Dundee or East Kilbride.

tonyrougier123
26-07-2021, 07:13 PM

Summed up perfectly.

Centre Hawf
26-07-2021, 09:36 PM
Hasn't travelled with the team to Denmark due to "injury"

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/7460923/leigh-griffiths-celtic-denmark-midtjylland-champions-league-injury/

hibbysam
26-07-2021, 10:22 PM

OTT? 30 year olds trying it on with a girl who probably hasn’t even sat her exams yet.

jacomo
26-07-2021, 10:33 PM

Fair enough but he’s a player who obviously needs careful management. Pat Fenlon was brilliant with him.

Peevemor
26-07-2021, 10:37 PM
OTT? 30 year olds trying it on with a girl who probably hasn’t even sat her exams yet.She posted the underwear photo. She looked older. He didn't know her age and hinted at wanting more photos.

It might be seedy but he was hardly "trying it on".

Had he known her age then yes, that would have been indefensible - but he didn't.

hibbysam
26-07-2021, 11:31 PM
She posted the underwear photo. She looked older. He didn't know her age and hinted at wanting more photos.

It might be seedy but he was hardly "trying it on".

Had he known her age then yes, that would have been indefensible - but he didn't.

She was 16, that’s the fact. He’s 30. He should be far more aware of his surroundings. He wasn’t trying it on asking for more pics? Defending the indefensible. Like I’ve said before, ignorance isn’t a defence and he should be thanking his lucky stars that she wasn’t a few months younger or he’d be finding himself with all sorts of unwanted records, but being a few months older doesn’t make it any less creepy from his point of view.

Peevemor
26-07-2021, 11:45 PM
She was 16, that’s the fact. He’s 30. He should be far more aware of his surroundings. He wasn’t trying it on asking for more pics? Defending the indefensible. Like I’ve said before, ignorance isn’t a defence and he should be thanking his lucky stars that she wasn’t a few months younger or he’d be finding himself with all sorts of unwanted records, but being a few months older doesn’t make it any less creepy from his point of view.

Creepy - maybe. Beast - no.

I'm in no way condoning his behaviour but I can't be bothered going round in circles on this so I'll leave all you paragons of virtue to continue blowing things out of proportion.

hibbysam
26-07-2021, 11:48 PM
Creepy - maybe. Beast - no.

I'm in no way condoning his behaviour but I can't be bothered going round in circles on this so I'll leave all you paragons of virtue to continue blowing things out of proportion.

Legally not a beast but asking school girls for more pics when replying to an underwear picture when your 30 is beastly enough. If the truth is blowing it out of proportion then so be it. At least she wasn’t underage though eh, that few months makes all the difference!

Wakeyhibee
27-07-2021, 12:04 AM
The fact he's been reported, investigated, but cleared of any wrongdoing, to me says his judgement is flawed, and has in the past been flawed.

No matter which side of the fence you sit, for all he's a talented footballer, the negatives of this and other events far outweigh any positives for me.

Hibs need to look forwards, not backwards.

Peevemor
27-07-2021, 12:04 AM
Legally not a beast but asking school girls for more pics when replying to an underwear picture when your 30 is beastly enough. If the truth is blowing it out of proportion then so be it. At least she wasn’t underage though eh, that few months makes all the difference!

What makes more of a difference is the fact that he did nothing remotely illegal regardless of how much of an issue some people are determined to make of this.

hibbysam
27-07-2021, 12:11 AM
What makes more of a difference is the fact that he did nothing remotely illegal regardless of how much of an issue some people are determined to make of this.

So you keep saying. Not that he knew it wasn’t illegal as you’ve already said he had no idea her age. He wasn’t bothered about her age. As I’ve said on that front he’s a very lucky man. It’s still creepy and beastly though.

jeffers
27-07-2021, 12:19 AM
So you keep saying. Not that he knew it wasn’t illegal as you’ve already said he had no idea her age. He wasn’t bothered about her age. As I’ve said on that front he’s a very lucky man. It’s still creepy and beastly though.

Turning it round, do you think he knew how young she was, or more likely foolishly assumed she was much older ?

hibbysam
27-07-2021, 12:22 AM
Turning it round, do you think he knew how young she was, or more likely foolishly assumed she was much older ?

Only he knows.

Peevemor
27-07-2021, 12:23 AM

You can't possibly know that he wasn't bothered about her age. He could quite easily have thought she was older.

And how is he lucky? That would suggest that he did something and got away with it which isn't the case. Quite the opposite in fact.

hibbysam
27-07-2021, 12:27 AM
You can't possibly know that he wasn't bothered about her age. He could quite easily have thought she was older.

And how is he lucky? That would suggest that he did something and got away with it which isn't the case. Quite the opposite in fact.

‘Thought’ - not a great argument. He’s very lucky seeing as he never knew her age, she could’ve been any age. He’s lucky she was a few months above legal age. Others haven’t been so lucky. I’ll reiterate, he’s 30, she was school age. Creep!

jeffers
27-07-2021, 12:30 AM
Only he knows.

I’m prepared to believe he didn’t know her age.

Peevemor
27-07-2021, 05:23 AM
‘Thought’ - not a great argument. He’s very lucky seeing as he never knew her age, she could’ve been any age. He’s lucky she was a few months above legal age. Others haven’t been so lucky. I’ll reiterate, he’s 30, she was school age. Creep!Can you explain the "luck" part please? I honestly don't see it.

calumhibee1
27-07-2021, 05:26 AM

I get the impression from your posts that you’re almost a bit disappointed she wasn’t under age. It’s a bit like you’re desperate for this to be a bigger scandal than it’s turned out to be.

I’d imagine a lot of guys on here have slept with a female without asking their age. Are they all just lucky beasts as well because they didn’t do full background checks?

You keep referring to him being lucky when really it’s as simple as he’s done nothing legally wrong. There’s lots of things people don’t do for moral reasons, I eat meat but I’m aware others don’t. To some that’s morally wrong that I do that but we all have different morals.

I wouldn’t ask a 16 year old for naked pictures because my morals would tell me it’s wrong, but it’s not really my or anyone else’s place to start referring to someone as a beast because they have when there’s been nothing illegal commited.

hibbysam
27-07-2021, 06:56 AM
I get the impression from your posts that you’re almost a bit disappointed she wasn’t under age. It’s a bit like you’re desperate for this to be a bigger scandal than it’s turned out to be.

I’d imagine a lot of guys on here have slept with a female without asking their age. Are they all just lucky beasts as well because they didn’t do full background checks?

You keep referring to him being lucky when really it’s as simple as he’s done nothing legally wrong. There’s lots of things people don’t do for moral reasons, I eat meat but I’m aware others don’t. To some that’s morally wrong that I do that but we all have different morals.

I wouldn’t ask a 16 year old for naked pictures because my morals would tell me it’s wrong, but it’s not really my or anyone else’s place to start referring to someone as a beast because they have when there’s been nothing illegal commited.

If your ok with 30 year olds perving on girls not out of school yet, whether illegal or not, then fair play. I can refer to him as whatever I see fit, as can you. It’s not your place to tell people what they can and cannot see people as. Everyone has an opinion, mine and plenty of others is that it’s creepy at best, and absolutely beastly.

calumhibee1
27-07-2021, 07:01 AM
If your ok with 30 year olds perving on girls not out of school yet, whether illegal or not, then fair play. I can refer to him as whatever I see fit, as can you. It’s not your place to tell people what they can and cannot see people as. Everyone has an opinion, mine and plenty of others is that it’s creepy at best, and absolutely beastly.

Yes of course, you can keep calling folk whatever you want. Why don’t you go down the street and call some random guy a rapist to his face? I mean it would seem that you make the call nowadays rather than the law. The guy most likely won’t be a rapist but why let that stop you.

As I said, you really just come across as if you’re disappointed that she wasn’t underage because you wanted a ‘bheast’scandal to discuss with some of your claims. He was just lucky she wasn’t underage, he didn’t care about her age etc.

You keep telling us about how she’s school age to try and make it sound like he was chatting up a 10 year old. She could have left school since you weirdly seem to be obsessed with the school side of it. She could be in full time employment. In reality she was old enough that he hadn’t done anything legally wrong.

Was Zemmama a beast? Was Graham Stack a beast? Neither of them ever done anything legally wrong but why let that get in the way of declaring them beasts?

It certainly wouldn’t be me doing what he was doing, it’s not my bag. But I’m not sure your own personal morals being different to someone else’s should ever be considered an acceptable reason to be going round calling someone a beast.

flash
27-07-2021, 07:04 AM
Not my decision of course but not sure what this debate is doing in the football part of the forum.

Just Alf
27-07-2021, 07:15 AM
Not my decision of course but not sure what this debate is doing in the football part of the forum.Agreed, it's about a female posting pictures of herself half undressed with her face hidden looking for a reaction.

One of those that reacted is a married man who should have known better.

sleeping giant
27-07-2021, 08:08 AM
Yes of course, you can keep calling folk whatever you want. Why don’t you go down the street and call some random guy a rapist to his face? I mean it would seem that you make the call nowadays rather than the law. The guy most likely won’t be a rapist but why let that stop you.

As I said, you really just come across as if you’re disappointed that she wasn’t underage because you wanted a ‘bheast’scandal to discuss with some of your claims. He was just lucky she wasn’t underage, he didn’t care about her age etc.

You keep telling us about how she’s school age to try and make it sound like he was chatting up a 10 year old. She could have left school since you weirdly seem to be obsessed with the school side of it. She could be in full time employment. In reality she was old enough that he hadn’t done anything legally wrong.

Was Zemmama a beast? Was Graham Stack a beast? Neither of them ever done anything legally wrong but why let that get in the way of declaring them beasts?

It certainly wouldn’t be me doing what he was doing, it’s not my bag. But I’m not sure your own personal morals being different to someone else’s should ever be considered an acceptable reason to be going round calling someone a beast.

Good post

Wee Effen Bee
27-07-2021, 08:29 AM
Admins. Any chance of just ending this here? The ‘discussion’ has become tediously circular with nothing new really being added.

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-07-2021, 08:51 AM
Admins. Any chance of just ending this here? The ‘discussion’ has become tediously circular with nothing new really being added.

I concur.

oneone73
27-07-2021, 08:52 AM
I concur.

Me too.

Just Alf
27-07-2021, 08:55 AM
Me too.:agree:

blackpoolhibs
27-07-2021, 08:55 AM
I don't, i cant see anything wrong here with what people of both sides are saying, just because you dont like what you see, doesn't mean it should be shoved under the carpet and hidden.

Just Alf
27-07-2021, 08:57 AM
I don't, i cant see anything wrong here with what people of both sides are saying, just because you dont like what you see, doesn't mean it should be shoved under the carpet and hidden.I also agree with this!.... I think the pont now though is we seem to be going round in ever decreasing circles

Peevemor
27-07-2021, 08:58 AM
I don't, i cant see anything wrong here with what people of both sides are saying, just because you dont like what you see, doesn't mean it should be shoved under the carpet and hidden.

I was thinking the same myself.

I'm not necessarily looking to add to the discussion, and I'm not sure if it belongs on the main board, but I don't think it merits being closed more than any other thread.

oneone73
27-07-2021, 09:01 AM

I guess it's because they keep saying the same things over and over again.
Anyway, I won't be opening it again, which I guess is the sensible solution

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-07-2021, 09:05 AM
I guess it's because they keep saying the same things over and over again.
Anyway, I won't be opening it again, which I guess is the sensible solution

I'm just reading it now just in case someone loses the plot, which probably doesn't reflect very well on me! 😆

Since452
27-07-2021, 09:31 AM
If this thread is closed as well it will only be a matter of time until the next Griffiths thread then the next one after that. Better just letting it run.

flash
27-07-2021, 09:42 AM

I agree but it should be in one of the general discussion forums.

Greenworld
27-07-2021, 10:08 AM
My view for what its worth is leigh needs some help a bit like a gambler addict .People can say and offer whatever advice the want but if the brain is not computing the words then its hopeless.
Leigh first and formost needs out of Celtic . He needs out of social media platforms. He needs to attend weekly help ,in whatever form that is.
He is not a guilty man of any wrong doing ,guilty of being immiture a bit silly? Yes i think that could be levelled at him.
The big question would you want him at hibs .
Reading mathies comments on what he wants from incoming players i dont think he fits his template so our hopes and desires dont really count.
This feels so much like riorden and oconner such a shame to end this way.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Betty Boop
27-07-2021, 12:05 PM
My view for what its worth is leigh needs some help a bit like a gambler addict .People can say and offer whatever advice the want but if the brain is not computing the words then its hopeless.
Leigh first and formost needs out of Celtic . He needs out of social media platforms. He needs to attend weekly help ,in whatever form that is.
He is not a guilty man of any wrong doing ,guilty of being immiture a bit silly? Yes i think that could be levelled at him.
Reading mathies comments on what he wants from incoming players i dont think he fits his template so our hopes and desires dont really count.

Cannae remember Riordan or O'connor chasing wee lassies.

easty
27-07-2021, 12:26 PM
Cannae remember Riordan or O'connor chasing wee lassies.

Who was chasing anybody?

LG liked a photo, hinted for more, doesn't get more, leaves it at that.

No way to tell that the girl is young based on the photo, girl also confirms he didn't know what age she was.

Get a grip.

Jim44
27-07-2021, 02:01 PM
Like quite a few on here, I am surprised at the number who have tried to normalise and shrug off Griffiths’ sleazy behaviour. Legality, ignorance of age etc. aside, his behaviour, for a man, presumably committed to his partner and children, was awful. A trawl of Celtic forums suggests that his actions are condemned almost unanimously and his future there must be doubtful at best. I hope that, if and when he gets the boot from Celtic, we are well back in the queue to seek his services. Beast ....... no: idiot ....... undoubtedly.

Peevemor
27-07-2021, 02:06 PM
Like quite a few on here, I am surprised at the number who have tried to normalise and shrug off Griffiths’ sleazy behaviour. Legality, ignorance of age etc. aside, his behaviour, for a man, presumably committed to his partner and children, was awful. A trawl of Celtic forums suggests that his actions are condemned almost unanimously and his future there must be doubtful at best. I hope that, if and when he gets the boot from Celtic, we are well back in the queue to seek his services. Beast ....... no: idiot ....... undoubtedly.

I haven't seen anyone on here condoning his behaviour.

Andy74
27-07-2021, 02:07 PM

So where do you draw the line on the morals and behaviour of footballers?

You think all our current players are angels?

Most people can accept that his behaviour isn’t the best but quite a few don’t think it has a huge bearing on whether or not he should be employed as a footballer.

Jim44
27-07-2021, 02:24 PM
I haven't seen anyone on here condoning his behaviour.

I didn’t say anyone condoned his behaviour.

calumhibee1
27-07-2021, 02:30 PM
So where do you draw the line on the morals and behaviour of footballers?

You think all our current players are angels?

Most people can accept that his behaviour isn’t the best but quite a few don’t think it has a huge bearing on whether or not he should be employed as a footballer.

Our best player put hundreds of peoples lives at risk whilst drink driving. Yet here we are, singing his name and talking about how much of a legend he is.

jeffers
27-07-2021, 02:37 PM
I didn’t say anyone condoned his behaviour.

Taking what you say at face value though Jim, we shouldn’t employ any players who have been unfaithful to their partners. Or a manager for that matter ?

Since452
27-07-2021, 02:37 PM

He certainly seems to be spiralling out of control. Almost like he's hitting the self destruct button which must be very concerning to his Mrs and children. I think Riordan and O'Connor would take umbrage to being likened to Griffiths though. Both had their very obvious faults but don't think they were chasing 16 year olds on Instagram.

jeffers
27-07-2021, 02:40 PM
He certainly seems to be spiralling out of control. Almost like he's hitting the self destruct button which must be very concerning to his Mrs and children. I think Riordan and O'Connor would take umbrage to being likened to Griffiths though. Both had their very obvious faults but don't think they were chasing 16 year olds on Instagram.

You could argue that some of what O’Connor did is much worse than anything LG has ever done…

Jim44
27-07-2021, 02:43 PM
Taking what you say at face value though Jim, we shouldn’t employ any players who have been unfaithful to their partners. Or a manager for that matter ?

I admit to not knowing the exact facts of Griffiths’ behaviour in this case, but I think it was more than having a ‘bit on the side.’

jeffers
27-07-2021, 02:45 PM
I admit to not knowing the exact facts of Griffiths’ behaviour in this case, but I think it was more than having a ‘bit on the side.’

In this case no Jim. He requested pics of a young woman, no more than that.

Jim44
27-07-2021, 03:03 PM
In this case no Jim. He requested pics of a young woman, no more than that.

If it was as innocent as wanting a few pics, he could have done it more discreetly and easier for himself by buying a copy of Playboy. :greengrin

ElginHibbie
27-07-2021, 03:08 PM

Our best player put hundreds of peoples lives at risk whilst drink driving. Yet here we are, singing his name and talking about how much of a legend he is.

What Boyle did was much worse than anything Leigh has done, but the difference to me is that it appears that Boyle has learned from the mistake he made at 24 and grown up, at least I can't think of him getting himself in trouble since then?

Leigh on the other hand is now is his 30s and is still making stupid mistakes, I don't think he should be sacked for what he has done, but I can get Celtic fan's frustration with him and honestly I wouldn't want him back at Hibs cause I think it's only a matter of time until he would create another unneeded distraction

jeffers
27-07-2021, 03:19 PM
If it was as innocent as wanting a few pics, he could have done it more discreetly and easier for himself by buying a copy of Playboy. :greengrin

It’s the digital age Jim ! :greengrin

silverhibee
27-07-2021, 03:21 PM

You do know that Leigh got plenty of help from Celtc in his dark times and he is still being stupid, a crap way to repay the club that pays your wages, he seems to have problems but don’t we all, some of us don’t get the help he is getting but he is still acting like he is 18, not a nice thing to be doing when he has a long term girlfriend who has had her own problems of late.
No, don’t want him at Hibs anymore, injured again, no pre season with club, probably hence injury, will be surprised if he gets used much by Ang who must be thinking what a mistake I made resigning him.

Jim44
27-07-2021, 03:22 PM
What Boyle did was much worse than anything Leigh has done, but the difference to me is that it appears that Boyle has learned from the mistake he made at 24 and grown up, at least I can't think of him getting himself in trouble since then?

Leigh on the other hand is now is his 30s and is still making stupid mistakes, I don't think he should be sacked for what he has done, but I can get Celtic fan's frustration with him and honestly I wouldn't want him back at Hibs cause I think it's only a matter of time until he would create another unneeded distraction

:agree: I think this is the crux of the matter. The reflected bad press a club gets from the iffy behaviour of ‘wayward’ employees is bad news and to be avoided.

Jim44
27-07-2021, 03:26 PM
It’s the digital age Jim ! :greengrin

D’you know, when I wrote that, I thought you’ld be thinking I’m showing my age. :tumble:

jeffers
27-07-2021, 03:35 PM
D’you know, when I wrote that, I thought you’ld be thinking I’m showing my age. :tumble:

Easily done Jim, I still refer to “videoing” a tv show when in reality it’s recorded on my Sky box.

tamig
27-07-2021, 03:43 PM

I've stayed away from this for a bit as it just goes round and round like a few other recent threads.

Can you just explain to me please, what does "beastly" mean in your book? You use the term a lot.

tamig
27-07-2021, 03:48 PM
‘Thought’ - not a great argument. He’s very lucky seeing as he never knew her age, she could’ve been any age. He’s lucky she was a few months above legal age. Others haven’t been so lucky. I’ll reiterate, he’s 30, she was school age. Creep!

Do older guys who go out with 18 year old schoolgirls - or 18 year old girls in general - get classed as creeps in your book? When does the age gap become acceptable - because age gaps between couples are pretty common? And as others have stated, what relevance does their schooling status have to do with anything?

HoboHarry
27-07-2021, 03:51 PM
You'll be firing up the Betamax next.... :greengrin

Bangkok Hibby
27-07-2021, 03:56 PM
Do older guys who go out with 18 year old schoolgirls get classed as creeps in your book? When does the age gap become acceptable - because age gaps between couples are pretty common?

Half your age plus 7 is ok I'm told

J-C
27-07-2021, 04:08 PM
Do older guys who go out with 18 year old schoolgirls get classed as creeps in your book? When does the age gap become acceptable - because age gaps between couples are pretty common?

Very good question, at what age does the age gap become acceptable. We have friends down South who have been together for 20+ years, he's now 62 and she's about 44, 18 year age gap. He was twice her age when they got together but have 2 kids and are still very happily married. Now if she was just 16 and he was 36, he'd be looked upon as a creep but because she was around 22-23 ish is was more of a tut tut scenario. The problem I see is at 16ish, they're still wee lassies, yes body wise all grown up but mentally still young and susceptible and easily prayed upon, not all are like this but many are still innocent to an extent.
Leigh's been stupid, will he learn who knows, he's 30 now but still acting the daft lad, needs to grow up.

CentreLine
27-07-2021, 04:08 PM
Easily done Jim, I still refer to “videoing” a tv show when in reality it’s recorded on my Sky box.

Ha! Just realised I say “taping” 😖

WhileTheChief..
27-07-2021, 04:11 PM
Anybody reading this far is now doing the math.....:greengrin

H18 SFR
27-07-2021, 04:14 PM
Do older guys who go out with 18 year old schoolgirls - or 18 year old girls in general - get classed as creeps in your book? When does the age gap become acceptable - because age gaps between couples are pretty common? And as others have stated, what relevance does their schooling status have to do with anything?

When I was 29 I met an 18 year old at uni. We became mates, pals, good pals then started going out the next year. We got married in 2018 and have two kids with the likelihood of at last one more in the future.

I genuinely don’t consider myself a creep, let alone a beast.

calumhibee1
27-07-2021, 04:15 PM

I can accept your last paragraph. Absolutely, he still makes stupid mistakes and I can fully understand people not wanting him back at Hibs because of them.

Declaring him a beast because something he done doesn’t doesn’t meet your moral standards for an age gap between a man and woman (or whatever combination of people it is) is ridiculous imo. As is claiming that you can call people a beast if you want to regardless of the fact that he’s legally done nothing wrong.

That’s not aimed at you btw.

calumhibee1
27-07-2021, 04:16 PM
When I was 29 I met an 18 year old at uni. We became mates, pals, good pals then started going out the next year. We got married in 2018 and have two kids with the likelihood of at last one more in the future.

Exactly. There’ll be examples of this all over the place as well.

Scouse Hibee
27-07-2021, 04:18 PM

I was 23 when I met my 34 year old wife to be, I considered myself a toy boy 😁 I often joke with her that if she passed me in the street as an 18 years old when I was 7 would she have thought she would end up married to me.

27-07-2021, 04:23 PM
I was 23 when I met my 34 year old wife to be, I considered myself a toy boy 😁 I often joke with her that if she passed me in the street as an 18 years old when I was 7 would she have thought she would end up married to me.

Did you send her pictures of you in your bra and pants? 😉

Peevemor
27-07-2021, 04:23 PM
Did you send her pictures of you in your bra and pants? [emoji6]Made me laugh.

Scouse Hibee
27-07-2021, 04:24 PM
Did you send her pictures of you in your bra and pants? 😉

😂😂😂😂

ElginHibbie
27-07-2021, 04:25 PM
I can accept your last paragraph. Absolutely, he still makes stupid mistakes and I can fully understand people not wanting him back at Hibs because of them.

Declaring him a beast because something he done doesn’t doesn’t meet your moral standards for an age gap between a man and woman (or whatever combination of people it is) is ridiculous imo. As is claiming that you can call people a beast if you want to regardless of the fact that he’s legally done nothing wrong.

That’s not aimed at you btw.

I complete agree with you on the beast thing, it's even worse than the "nonce" stuff that was thrown at him originally.

easty
27-07-2021, 04:56 PM

Also, Bartley was convicted in court of threatening a women after he’d been caught cheating on his partner. I don’t remember the morality lynch mob being out in force so vehemently back then.

Peevemor
27-07-2021, 05:01 PM
Also, Bartley was convicted in court of threatening a women after he’d been caught cheating on his partner. I don’t remember the morality lynch mob being out in force so vehemently back then.There's a whole list of footballers who have stepped out of line over the years, including a few Hibs players.

Rumble de Thump
27-07-2021, 05:45 PM
Also, Bartley was convicted in court of threatening a women after he’d been caught cheating on his partner. I don’t remember the morality lynch mob being out in force so vehemently back then.

He apparently hadn't cheated on his partner, which was why he was angry that the woman told his ex girlfriend he had when they were trying to get back together.

Peevemor
27-07-2021, 05:49 PM
He apparently hadn't cheated on his partner, which was why he was angry that the woman told his ex girlfriend he had when they were trying to get back together.Are you sure? I saw him trying to stick his finger in a guy's starfish!

Hibrandenburg
27-07-2021, 05:54 PM
Are you sure? I saw him trying to stick his finger in a guy's starfish!

I think you'll find he was merely pointing at a rusty sheriff's badge.

Hibrandenburg
27-07-2021, 05:56 PM
Nonce Spectrum:

Gary Glitter........................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......................Leigh Griffiths......................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .........Wayne Rooney

Speedy
27-07-2021, 10:05 PM

It's pretty obvious the comparison is limited to being young promising Hibs strikers who didn't quite go on to fulfil their potential.

There doesn't need to be a sliding scale of their transgressions.

hibbysam
27-07-2021, 10:18 PM
It's pretty obvious the comparison is limited to being young promising Hibs strikers who didn't quite go on to fulfil their potential.

There doesn't need to be a sliding scale of their transgressions.

You could maybe say that about Riordan, but O’Connor played in the premier league, scored goals in Russia, made an absolute fortune and played multiple times for Scotland during a very difficult era to get into the side.

AgentDaleCooper
27-07-2021, 10:35 PM

There's nothing creepy about that, it sounds like the healthiest possible way for a relationship to develop.

Words like 'beast' and 'nonce' are just S*n-esque buzz words that don't tend to shed much light on a situation (though the latter of the two terms is quite funny when applied liberally and unfairly towards Tories IMO ;) )

The thing that's creepy is that leigh was soliciting pictures from someone who may have been (and in fact was) under 18, while he has a family (or 6) himself. There was some other weird stuff about taking photos of a neighbour...so i don't think it's terribly unfair to say he is a creep. Being a creep isn't illegal, but it's a really bad look for someone who is in the public eye.

Rumble de Thump
27-07-2021, 11:04 PM
There's nothing creepy about that, it sounds like the healthiest possible way for a relationship to develop.

Words like 'beast' and 'nonce' are just S*n-esque buzz words that don't tend to shed much light on a situation (though the latter of the two terms is quite funny when applied liberally and unfairly towards Tories IMO ;) )

The thing that's creepy is that leigh was soliciting pictures from someone who may have been (and in fact was) under 18, while he has a family (or 6) himself. There was some other weird stuff about taking photos of a neighbour...so i don't think it's terribly unfair to say he is a creep. Being a creep isn't illegal, but it's a really bad look for someone who is in the public eye.

Does it not bother you if things are true or not?

Speedy
27-07-2021, 11:09 PM
You could maybe say that about Riordan, but O’Connor played in the premier league, scored goals in Russia, made an absolute fortune and played multiple times for Scotland during a very difficult era to get into the side.

His career fizzled out by his mid twenties though, with the start you mention he could’ve gone on to much better things.

Selkirkhibs
27-07-2021, 11:20 PM
Does it not bother you if things are true or not?

Is it true or not that you are actually Mr Fezziwig?

hibbysam
28-07-2021, 09:36 PM
His career fizzled out by his mid twenties though, with the start you mention he could’ve gone on to much better things.

Better than the premier league? Better than scoring winners in a cup final in Russia? Better than playing and scoring for his country multiple times? Better than becoming a multi millionaire?

mcohibs
28-07-2021, 10:29 PM
Better than the premier league? Better than scoring winners in a cup final in Russia? Better than playing and scoring for his country multiple times? Better than becoming a multi millionaire?

The poster you're replying to wasn't saying that Garry O'Connor had a poor career, he was saying that he didn't realise his full potential. That is most definitely the case and something that Garry has openly said himself.

Do you think that for a player with the promise that O'Connor had, playing in the Lowland League at 31 years old was realising his full potential as a footballer?

Smartie
29-07-2021, 10:42 AM
The poster you're replying to wasn't saying that Garry O'Connor had a poor career, he was saying that he didn't realise his full potential. That is most definitely the case and something that Garry has openly said himself.

Do you think that for a player with the promise that O'Connor had, playing in the Lowland League at 31 years old was realising his full potential as a footballer?

I don’t think many players reach their full potential. Not many people reach their full potential.

At least in O’Connor’s case he managed to squeeze an awful lot of positives into his career before it went pear-shaped.

Even in Deek’s case - it would be hard to argue he shouldn’t have achieved more but there are an awful lot of goals scored for his boyhood club on his cv.

I’d find it hard to sit face to face with them and talk underachievement. In many ways I’ve done ok in life (so far) but if they turned the question back on me and asked “and exactly wtf have you achieved” I’d be stumbling and stammering as it doesn’t even compare.