PDA

View Full Version : Newell red card

Moulin Yarns
23-07-2021, 11:04 AM
No right to appeal

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/uefa-champions-league/story/3639995/cristiano-ronaldo-red-card-can-juventus-appeal-will-he-miss-man-united-game?platform=amp

UEFA regulations 61.1.c

Hibernian Verse
23-07-2021, 11:06 AM
Is it a 1 game ban?

Smartie
23-07-2021, 11:14 AM
Anyone else think this might be a blessing in disguise, as it will force Jack Ross to start Kyle Magennis?

Magennis has been looking really sharp and deserves to start the next game, but Newell seems to be a huge favourite of the manager.

Newell still seems to be massively hit and miss to me. He has days when he looks mercurial, then there are days when he seems to be at the centre of stodgy performances where we get bogged down in midfield.

Stuart93
23-07-2021, 11:25 AM
Anyone else think this might be a blessing in disguise, as it will force Jack Ross to start Kyle Magennis?

Magennis has been looking really sharp and deserves to start the next game, but Newell seems to be a huge favourite of the manager.

Newell still seems to be massively hit and miss to me. He has days when he looks mercurial, then there are days when he seems to be at the centre of stodgy performances where we get bogged down in midfield.

Was kind of thinking this too, I’m a big newell fan but I’m excited to see what KM can give us from midfield, been impressed so far this pre season!

theonlywayisup
23-07-2021, 11:27 AM

Agree with all that you said. Magennis was really good last night IMO.

With Newell, he's not the player he was before the injury, yet.

Moulin Yarns
23-07-2021, 11:36 AM
I've looked at the UEFA regulations and it looks like there is a right of appeal, 5 days limit from the date of card.

Northernhibee
23-07-2021, 11:59 AM
I've looked at the UEFA regulations and it looks like there is a right of appeal, 5 days limit from the date of card.
I’d hope so, appalling ‘incompetence’ from the ‘referee’.

JimBHibees
23-07-2021, 12:57 PM
Why would there not be a right of appeal?

basehibby
23-07-2021, 01:10 PM
I’d hope so, appalling ‘incompetence’ from the ‘referee’.
That was the worst refereeing performance at ER since Alan Freedland destroyed a match between Hibs and Falkirk in the noughties. May even have been worse still but the fact we got a handsome win means it doesn't feel as bad.

Tyler Durden
23-07-2021, 01:43 PM

In short, no.

Great to see Magennis playing well last night but I don't see him necessarily displacing Newell. If anything it would be Gogic that would be dropped IMO. His distribution is often poor and quite often it's Newell who is making more interceptions and tackles than Gogic anyway.

Also great option to have Newell and Magennis either side of Gogic, in a flatter central 3. I'd like to see that in certain games which might not be as suited to Scott Allan.

Northernhibee
23-07-2021, 01:48 PM
Just watched it again, after the red card why were their players allowed to surround and shove and jostle our player? The win aside we could easily have two or three players with broken legs today or could have had another result as Coloma were allowed to play a different game from us.

The club should be seeking some much needed assurances from UEFA that our players are not endangered by such a team or red again.

JimBHibees
23-07-2021, 02:26 PM
Just watched it again, after the red card why were their players allowed to surround and shove and jostle our player? The win aside we could easily have two or three players with broken legs today or could have had another result as Coloma were allowed to play a different game from us.

The club should be seeking some much needed assurances from UEFA that our players are not endangered by such a team or red again.

I thought more Hibs players should have helped out their mate however probably worried the bombscare ref would show more reds

tamig
23-07-2021, 02:29 PM

I thought Boyle made a meal of it when their guy got sent off. On seeing the clip though he was very lucky not to end up with a broken leg. Shocker of a challenge.

hibbysam
23-07-2021, 02:31 PM
I thought more Hibs players should have helped out their mate however probably worried the bombscare ref would show more reds

100%. Said so at the game, every single one of our players ran away apart from Nisbet who waded in. Called them *****bags which was maybe a tad harsh, but if your teammate is in trouble you go and defend him.

hibbysam
23-07-2021, 02:32 PM
I thought Boyle made a meal of it when their guy got sent off. On seeing the clip though he was very lucky not to end up with a broken leg. Shocker of a challenge.

The shocker on Boyle was only a yellow was it not? Out on the west stand touchline.

JimBHibees
23-07-2021, 02:32 PM

The tackle out wide main stand side on Boyle where the guy got a yellow was definitely a red imo over the ball halfway up his leg lucky imo not to be seriously injured. Would not play him next week for that reason.

tamig
23-07-2021, 02:35 PM
The tackle out wide main stand side on Boyle where the guy got a yellow was definitely a red imo over the ball halfway up his leg lucky imo not to be seriously injured. Would not play him next week for that reason.

Apologies, that was the very one I was talking about.

Hibernian Verse
23-07-2021, 02:36 PM
The ref seemed to be talking to the Hibs players after half time. I wonder if he was apologising? He went to Nisbet, Porteous, Hanlon, Stevenson, Gogic. Maybe more.

wookie70
23-07-2021, 02:42 PM
The shocker on Boyle was only a yellow was it not? Out on the west stand touchline. It was a yellow and was the worst tackle in the game imo

hibbysam
23-07-2021, 02:45 PM
It was a yellow and was the worst tackle in the game imo

By a distance. I also thought the one by their left back early on Boyle was a big lunge although not much contact made.

brog
23-07-2021, 03:11 PM

The worst part for me was how deliberate it was. He slid in & missed Boyle so had a 2nd go with his trailing leg to make sure. Not impetuous, just thuggery!

H18 SFR
23-07-2021, 03:24 PM
Is there any footage of the tackle anywhere?

JohnM1875
23-07-2021, 03:36 PM
https://twitter.com/HFCTalk/status/1418299266808832000?s=19

Should be the 'tackle' on Boyle there.

Newell tackle here.

https://twitter.com/HFCTalk/status/1418288966038609926?s=19

JohnM1875
23-07-2021, 04:14 PM
Hibs choosing not to appeal Newell's red card.

Over to Magennis to show us if he can carry on his good start to the season.

Diclonius

Why aren't we appealing? Seems a bit odd.

EDIT: Just read it myself; if it fails he misses Rijeka so we're not bothering.

Billy Whizz

Is it a one game ban?

H18 SFR
23-07-2021, 04:16 PM

It costs a fair bit to do so. I imagine we feel we can cover the ban, get it out the way and in the process allow another player to get minutes on the pitch.

JohnM1875
23-07-2021, 04:16 PM

If the appeal fails he'd miss more game time so we're unwilling to risk that. Kinda get it with being 3-0 up from the first leg.

Is it a one game ban?

Apparently so, yeah. We'll have him back for the first leg of the next round.

jws1875
23-07-2021, 04:33 PM

I tweeted about this last night and got dogs abuse for suggesting at the minimum Hanlon should have been up there.

MWHIBBIES
23-07-2021, 05:26 PM
I tweeted about this last night and got dogs abuse for suggesting at the minimum Hanlon should have been up there.

What would it have achieved?

Orchard_Hibs
23-07-2021, 05:27 PM

I would also imagine the ref will have to admit he made a mistake in the review process, which wouldn’t happen

ian cruise
23-07-2021, 05:38 PM
100%. Said so at the game, every single one of our players ran away apart from Nisbet who waded in. Called them *****bags which was maybe a tad harsh, but if your teammate is in trouble you go and defend him.

Our players running over would have been unlikely to have changed the refs mind but their players were spoiling for a fight, it would have guaranteed a melee and the potential for more cards.

hibbysam
23-07-2021, 10:54 PM
Our players running over would have been unlikely to have changed the refs mind but their players were spoiling for a fight, it would have guaranteed a melee and the potential for more cards.

Regardless you stand up for your own. You don’t run away when 7 boys are starting on your mate.

Sir David Gray
23-07-2021, 10:59 PM
Very bizarre that we won't an appeal when it quite clearly would be overturned.

500miles
23-07-2021, 11:01 PM
Regardless you stand up for your own. You don’t run away when 7 boys are starting on your mate.

Maybe they should have all waded in, dropped the shorts and done some windmills. Get the measuring tape out, see who the big dog is?

Na, we were already down to ten and Boyle had been booked for pushing someone away. The players done thier talking with the ball.

ian cruise
23-07-2021, 11:01 PM

That doesn't make any sense, he wasn't in any physical danger, what were they protecting him from? All they would have potentially done is added fuel to the fire. You could see they were goading Nisbet trying to get him to react and get booked too.

hibbysam
23-07-2021, 11:02 PM

Mind that’s UEFA we’d be appealing to. I’d rather he sat out next week than even chance him having to sit out the following round! Not worth the risk.

500miles
23-07-2021, 11:02 PM

That's the thing about referees, no egos, and totally honest.

We don't need him for the next game and he comes away with a clean slate.

hibbysam
23-07-2021, 11:03 PM
That doesn't make any sense, he wasn't in any physical danger, what were they protecting him from? All they would have potentially done is added fuel to the fire. You could see they were goading Nisbet trying to get him to react and get booked too.

And did he get booked? No, even though he was in pushing them. Folk maybe have different morals to me, but every football team will be the same, you get in and help your own when they’re being pushed about, simple as that. You don’t turn around and run away!

ian cruise
23-07-2021, 11:07 PM
And did he get booked? No, even though he was in pushing them. Folk maybe have different morals to me, but every football team will be the same, you get in and help your own when they’re being pushed about, simple as that. You don’t turn around and run away!

If someone was starting on my mate in the street I'd 100% back him, but that's a completely different scenario to a competitive football game. It is not a moral argument, it's a matter if maturity. The players kept the head and avoided more unnecessary bookings, 7 players run over and start on the Santa Coloma team and we potentially go down to 9 men, with a couple of other yellows, that's a completely different game to what we saw.

Nisbet only avoid a card because he was taken out of the firing line before he ended up in the refs book.

hibbysam
23-07-2021, 11:09 PM
If someone was starting on my mate in the street I'd 100% back him, but that's a completely different scenario to a competitive football game. It is not a moral argument, it's a matter if maturity. The players kept the head and avoided more unnecessary bookings, 7 players run over and start on the Santa Coloma team and we potentially go down to 9 men, with a couple of other yellows, that's a completely different game to what we saw.

Nisbet only avoid a card because he was taken out of the firing line before he ended up in the refs book.

Why would we go down to 9 men? I’m not asking players to fire in swinging punches or headbutts. What if they fire in and get the left back who’d been booked to get a second yellow and it’s 10 v 10? Principle on a football pitch to stick up for your teammates, simple as that for me.

ian cruise
23-07-2021, 11:15 PM
Why would we go down to 9 men? I’m not asking players to fire in swinging punches or headbutts. What if they fire in and get the left back who’d been booked to get a second yellow and it’s 10 v 10? Principle on a football pitch to stick up for your teammates, simple as that for me.

That's the same principle that lead the Rangers fans on to the pitch after the Scottish Cup final. Personally I'm content with the way last night played out, I'm certain Joe Newell didn't go home fuming that his team mates weren't up scrapping on his behalf. The team will have discussed not getting dragged in to such things before kick off.

hibbysam
23-07-2021, 11:19 PM
That's the same principle that lead the Rangers fans on to the pitch after the Scottish Cup final. Personally I'm content with the way last night played out, I'm certain Joe Newell didn't go home fuming that his team mates weren't up scrapping on his behalf. The team will have discussed not getting dragged in to such things before kick off.

Aye exactly the same 😂 good to see Kev Nisbet have the balls to stand up for his mate.

Forza Fred
24-07-2021, 02:48 AM

My reading of UeFA’s disciplinary procedures is basically…….if it’s mistaken identity then we’ll listen, but don’t waste our time over anything else, and if you do we will be seriously pissed off.

Moulin Yarns
24-07-2021, 07:53 AM

This is brilliant!! Like the school playground, fight, fight, fight!!! 🙄

Bristolhibby
24-07-2021, 01:41 PM

100% this. Been unofficially telling my under 12s this at rugby.

Luckily my son doesn’t need any excuses to square up to opposition.

J

Iggy Pope
24-07-2021, 03:55 PM
Didn’t surprise me we didn’t appeal. Do UEFA still deal with these matters in Swiss Francs? Hibs are doing the right thing, no risk on the pitch or off it.

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-07-2021, 08:00 PM
If UEFA had any real sense of fair play, teams shouldn't have to appeal against ridiculous decisions like this one. Dismissals should be reviewed retrospectively to check that they were correct. It's the most serious decision that a ref can make and a obvious way for officials performances to be measured.

WhileTheChief..
24-07-2021, 08:16 PM
This is brilliant!! Like the school playground, fight, fight, fight!!! 🙄

You'd be the prefect trying to break it up!

at last 61
25-07-2021, 05:40 PM
That was the worst refereeing performance at ER since Alan Freedland destroyed a match between Hibs and Falkirk in the noughties. May even have been worse still but the fact we got a handsome win means it doesn't feel as bad.

Was that the game that finished 0-0 stopped and lectures after every tackle

Alfred E Newman
25-07-2021, 07:21 PM
Was that the game that finished 0-0 stopped and lectures after every tackle

We lost 0-1 if I remember correctly.