PDA

View Full Version : Drey Wright

Stuart93
22-07-2021, 09:43 PM
I keep wanting to give the guy a chance but just don’t see what JR see’s in him.

At one point he took an age to swing a cross to let people get into the box and couldn’t even get passed the first man.

Sort of runs about like a headless chicken and doesn’t really pick anyone up. Just not seeing it with him at all, this time in person

hibbysam
22-07-2021, 09:44 PM
I keep wanting to give the guy a chance but just don’t see what JR see’s in him.

At one point he took an age to swing a cross to let people get into the box and couldn’t even get passed the first man.

Sort of runs about like a headless chicken and doesn’t really pick anyone up. Just not seeing it with him at all, this time in person

Was a huge part in us taking control of the game second half. Couple of poor passes; you focus on one cross when he put in 3/4 very good balls.

SChibs
22-07-2021, 09:45 PM
Thought he had a few slack passes but played fine apart from that. Put a really good ball in for Porteus too. Someone else pointed out he was placed right on their no.10 to stop him playing and it worked a treat

Allant1981
22-07-2021, 09:46 PM
Thought he was ok when he came on, never going to be a starter but good back up player

Big_Franck
I thought he was terrible for the first 10 minutes of the second half constantly giving the ball away. He settled after that and did OK for a period before then doing well later on when they got 1 man then a 2nd sent off.

CMurdoch
Had a fantastic touch in the lead up to Nisbet's goal, watch it back ......but some of his other touches when he was trying to get into the game after coming on were not so good.

green day
22-07-2021, 09:47 PM
His introduction was a good tactical move.

He also did a sumptuous flick to kick of the move for Nisbet goal. As well as a great cross for Porto.

2 miscontrols didn't mean he had a bad game........and I'm not his biggest fan.

Smartie
22-07-2021, 09:50 PM
I thought he was terrible for the first 10 minutes of the second half constantly giving the ball away. He settled after that and did OK for a period before then doing well later on when they got 1 man then a 2nd sent off.

He looked bereft of confidence to begin with and almost got to the point where he looked like he wanted the ground to swallow him up. It was not a strong start from him.

From there though he actually went on to have a decent game. Wright is pretty good at the disciplined, defensive stuff, his touch at the goal was sublime and he put in a peach of a cross that should really have been a goal.

A very mixed bag for him tonight.

GreenCastle
I really want it to work for him. It’s obvious he’s low on confidence.

He needs a run of games in his best position - what that is - I have no idea but often feels he does a job off the ball for the team. On the ball - you can tell he’s just over thinking it and possibly feeling the pressure - maybe just best to do the basics and the rest will improve.

Stuart93
Had a fantastic touch in the lead up to Nisbet's goal, watch it back ......but some of his other touches when he was trying to get into the game after coming on were not so good.

Aye I did enjoy his touch in the lead up to Nisbets goal

worcesterhibby
22-07-2021, 09:53 PM
Hibs win and you start a thread slagging off one of our players…nothing changes

Big_Franck
22-07-2021, 09:54 PM
He looked bereft of confidence to begin with and almost got to the point where he looked like he wanted the ground to swallow him up. It was not a strong start from him.

From there though he actually went on to have a decent game. Wright is pretty good at the disciplined, defensive stuff, his touch at the goal was sublime and he put in a peach of a cross that should really have been a goal.

Totally agree. He actually looked like a nervous youngster making his debut when he first came on and giving the ball away seemed to dent his confidence even further. He did quite well after a shaky start though. One thing you can't criticise him for is effort. Hopefully he kicks on next week and plays even better.

Stuart93
22-07-2021, 09:54 PM

Slagging off? Na, giving my opinion on a player who I don’t thinks good enough for us and tonight added to that for me so I thought I’d highlight.

Not something I usually do either

Good contribution to the debate though

JimBHibees
22-07-2021, 10:02 PM

Yep that was a brilliant goal.

wookie70
22-07-2021, 10:03 PM
Very poor for the first 10 minutes after he came on but did pretty well after that. as someone else said he seems to be thinking about it too much.

worcesterhibby
22-07-2021, 10:10 PM
Slagging off? Na, giving my opinion on a player who I don’t thinks good enough for us and tonight added to that for me so I thought I’d highlight.

Not something I usually do either

Good contribution to the debate though

he didn’t start well, he grew into the match and his overall contribution was excellent. If Porto’s head wasn’t square he’d of had at least one assist. You’ve just watched the first competitive match of the season and been inside ER for the first time in over a year, you’ve seen possibly the worst refereeing decision in history and three Hibs goals that led to a clean sheet and a Hibs victory in Europe and your reaction is to start a negative thread about the player who provided the cutest touch of the night. Try being a bit more positive.

Stuart93
22-07-2021, 10:13 PM
he didn’t start well, he grew into the match and his overall contribution was excellent. If Porto’s head wasn’t square he’d of had at least one assist. You’ve just watched the first competitive match of the season and been inside ER for the first time in over a year, you’ve seen possibly the worst refereeing decision in history and three Hibs goals that led to a clean sheet and a Hibs victory in Europe and your reaction is to start a negative thread about the player who provided the cutest touch of the night. Try being a bit more positive.

Excellent’s a massive stretch

I’ve been positive as well. I’ve commented on the magennis thread saying I thought he had a cracking game and excited to see how he gets on this season.

My reactions also to start a thread about a player I don’t thinks good enough for us as I think it’s worth the discussion considering it’s the first time I’ve seen him in person

MyJo
22-07-2021, 10:13 PM
Looked like he was lacking confidence when he first came on and had a couple of poor passes and touches but settled into the game after 10/15 minutes

loanheadhibby
22-07-2021, 10:14 PM
Was a huge part in us taking control of the game second half. Couple of poor passes; you focus on one cross when he put in 3/4 very good balls.
My god if you think he played a huge part in us taking control you were watching a different game to me.
Opinions eh!

jacomo
22-07-2021, 10:15 PM

Just share your opinion, don’t start a row. It’s all good.

hibbysam
22-07-2021, 10:16 PM
My god if you think he played a huge part in us taking control you were watching a different game to me.
Opinions eh!

So the change to 4-3-2 didn’t allow us to take control by having him and Magennis covering their full backs when the ball was switched out and stopped their number 10 strolling about in the middle pretending he was a player. We only made one sub at half time and we were far better second half than first.

worcesterhibby
22-07-2021, 10:18 PM
Excellent’s a massive stretch

I’ve been positive as well. I’ve commented on the magennis thread saying I thought he had a cracking game and excited to see how he gets on this season.

My reactions also to start a thread about a player I don’t thinks good enough for us as I think it’s worth the discussion considering it’s the first time I’ve seen him in person

fair enough, I don’t mean to get personal, I just get frustrated by the amount of (what I judge to be) unnecessary negativity on here, on Twitter, on Facebook.

tamig
22-07-2021, 10:19 PM

He had a fairly poor start then picked up. I was pleased for him the way he grew into the game quickly. Hopefully this will give him the confidence to continue improving.

Stuart93
22-07-2021, 10:21 PM
fair enough, I don’t mean to get personal, I just get frustrated by the amount of (what I judge to be) unnecessary negativity on here, on Twitter, on Facebook.

Aye that’s fair enough mate, likewise. Wasn’t my intention

Unseen work
22-07-2021, 10:23 PM
I think he’s got pretty good feet and good movement.

He strikes me as someone that’s lost a yard of pace with his injuries and is struggling to adapt a bit.

You see him often waiting for the player to come and press him tight, he sucks them in then goes out the other way.

His runs when played further forward have always struck me as intelligent, but when he’s got in good positions he’s really struggled to do anything with it.

His appearance against Raith on Saturday and tonight look like he’s got more confidence as he’s trying more flicks and tricks which is good S my biggest frustration with him was he was too safe for the position.

Would love it if he came into his own this season.

You can see with the amount of injuries we have already though at the start of the season that everyone will play their part.

LustForLeith
22-07-2021, 10:23 PM
I’m hoping Drey Wright does what Joe Newell did and proves his doubters wrong

beensaidbefore
22-07-2021, 10:24 PM

Best post so far.

Folk need to give the guy a break, ffs.

J-C
22-07-2021, 10:25 PM
Sticky start and a few slack passes but settled into the game, I don't know if it's a lack of confidence with the lad, there seems a decent payer in there.

Hibby70
22-07-2021, 10:44 PM
There were some folk round about me on his back immediately. 18 months to be back at the football and that's their focus 😠

No wonder he's lacking in confidence. I'm sure there's a large number of folk that actually wanted him to fail. Wonder how good he might be with some encouragement?

JimBHibees
22-07-2021, 10:45 PM
Best post so far.

Folk need to give the guy a break, ffs.

Tend to agree nowhere near as poor as some of the fans seem to think.

WestStandWillie
22-07-2021, 10:50 PM
He's awfy limited. Had flashes of quality when he came on but they weighed against giving the ball away, breaking down oor attacks and lack of accurate crosses.

Squad player at best and i'd be surprised if he's a Hibs player come January.

SMAXXA
22-07-2021, 10:50 PM

Where it’s a team sport there is always going to be players who do better than others and I actually don’t have a problem with the OP and I actually agree. Not like he’s slated him and said he’s x y z he’s gave a view like mine that we want the guy to do well but he’s honestly verging on one of the worst players I’ve seen at Hibs. This is in terms of contribution as we are a year down the line and he’s offers nothing of note apart from a goa against Rangers. He needs to do much better, he actually done ok last 10m or so but I can’t understand that people are so vocal about wanting rid of the likes of Porteous who’s class and accept constant performances from Drey Wright which have been quite simply crap

hibbysam
22-07-2021, 10:52 PM
Where it’s a team sport there is always going to be players who do better than others and I actually don’t have a problem with the OP and I actually agree. Not like he’s slated him and said he’s x y z he’s gave a view like mine that we want the guy to do well but he’s honestly verging on one of the worst players I’ve seen at Hibs. This is in terms of contribution as we are a year down the line and he’s offers nothing of note apart from a goa against Rangers. He needs to do much better, he actually done ok last 10m or so but I can’t understand that people are so vocal about wanting rid of the likes of Porteous who’s class and accept constant performances from Drey Wright which have been quite simply crap

He’s nowhere near one of the worst players to play for Hibs.

matty_f
22-07-2021, 11:04 PM
I thought he did well, as others have said he was a bit slow getting into the game but once he did I thought his contribution was as good as anyone’s on the second half.

SMAXXA
22-07-2021, 11:17 PM
He’s nowhere near one of the worst players to play for Hibs.

In what basis is he not? What has he contributed in a year? If this was Edwin De Graff he’s be filed in the dud category. He’s been a crap signing, hasn’t done well enough it happens. Wouldn’t slaughter the lad and will support him and always want him to do well but so far he’s been poor

hibbysam
22-07-2021, 11:24 PM
In what basis is he not? What has he contributed in a year? If this was Edwin De Graff he’s be filed in the dud category. He’s been a crap signing, hasn’t done well enough it happens. Wouldn’t slaughter the lad and will support him and always want him to do well but so far he’s been poor

You must’ve slept walked through the 2012-2014 era for starters, and the fact every year prior to that we signed some amount of dross.

Peevemor
23-07-2021, 12:07 AM
I thought he did well, as others have said he was a bit slow getting into the game but once he did I thought his contribution was as good as anyone’s on the second half.

Exactly what I said elsewhere and I hope he goes on to build up a bit of impetus. Unlike after some performances last season I certainly don't think he merits a negative thread to himself tonight.

SMAXXA
23-07-2021, 12:14 AM
You must’ve slept walked through the 2012-2014 era for starters, and the fact every year prior to that we signed some amount of dross.

I was very aware of the years you say, if you want to tell me he’s been a good signing and not been one of the worst we have made in recent years then that’s fine. I still harbour hope he can turn it around but for me and quite honestly every Hibs fan a know hes been pretty honking. If you read my posts you will see I am very supportive of players, and want to be with DR but he needs to start showing up imo

Since452
23-07-2021, 02:23 AM
Thought he did well when he settled. Had to bite my tongue at the boy in front of me that seemed obsessed with ripping into him.

HoboHarry
23-07-2021, 03:27 AM

One of the worst players you've seen at Hibs? Seriously? Lol, behave yourself, any of us could name many more worse than him ......

MWHIBBIES
23-07-2021, 04:11 AM
Played his role well. Him coming on changed the game. Stopped them playing out

Dashing Bob S
23-07-2021, 05:05 AM
His destiny is to return to a poor St Johnstone team and then play out off his skin against us in a Hampden final/semi.

theonlywayisup
23-07-2021, 06:01 AM
Frustrating player to watch! I really hope he has a run of games when he contributes well for us.

However. if he were to leave, I would be quite happy.

Souter96Mac
23-07-2021, 06:11 AM
He seemed to grow into the game, and his flick for the 3rd goal was something else.

He is frustrating at times, but I think there's a player there that be of use to us. I'd go so far to give him a start in the away leg, to rest others, but also to give him a good opportunity to stake a claim.

J-C
23-07-2021, 06:14 AM

I give you Rowan Vine.

hibee316
23-07-2021, 06:39 AM

How long have you been watching Hibs for if you don't mind me asking?

If you have been watching Hibs for less than 5 years you may have a point (really don't think you can say within that time period either, as he has hardly played).

Longer than that, and this seems like hyperbole. Plenty of players who are much worse. I give you the last team that got us relegated without even having to think.

My personal favourite from a wee bit further back would be Jarko Wiss. Came with a pedigree of sorts and couldn't do anything.

Since452
23-07-2021, 06:49 AM
How long have you been watching Hibs for if you don't mind me asking?

If you have been watching Hibs for less than 5 years you may have a point (really don't think you can say within that time period either, as he has hardly played).

Longer than that, and this seems like hyperbole. Plenty of players who are much worse. I give you the last team that got us relegated without even having to think.

My personal favourite from a wee bit further back would be Jarko Wiss. Came with a pedigree of sorts and couldn't do anything.

Wright looks like Messi compared to somebody like Matt Thornhill. There is undoubtedly a player there. I just hope he finds that confidence he seems to be lacking.

Sir David Gray
23-07-2021, 06:52 AM
He was ok last night but I don't think he's anywhere near good enough for a team with our ambitions.

hibee316
23-07-2021, 06:58 AM
Wright looks like Messi compared to somebody like Matt Thornhill. There is undoubtedly a player there. I just hope he finds that confidence he seems to be lacking.

I don't think he is the worst player we've had, but I don't think he has shown nearly enough yet if we are wanting to kick on. I hope he proves me wrong!

Hibernian Verse
23-07-2021, 07:00 AM
No need to have a go at the OP. I'm not convinced Wright is good enough either, but my observations were;

- He was required for us to make the tactical change to 3, so he helped the shape of the team which resulted in us regaining control of the tie.
- He looked panicked (he has a pair of eyes and access to the internet). He just couldn't get the ball out his first for his first touch and gave the ball away which led to a number of Hibs fans frothing at the mouth which I'm sure he heard (he has a set of ears).
- Great cross for Porto.
- He got himself involved and never hid, eventually most fans were willing him on.
- He was part of a great move which ended with Nisbet's goal.

More to come from him hopefully. I remember writing off Joe Newell too.

Brightside
23-07-2021, 07:06 AM
A couple of nice touches and crosses but to me he looked massively unfit.

calumhibee1
23-07-2021, 07:14 AM
He was ok last night but I don't think he's anywhere near good enough for a team with our ambitions.

Yup. A nice touch for the goal but he still looked our poorest player imo.

It just hasn’t happened for him at Hibs and doesn’t really look like it will.

jingler1954
23-07-2021, 07:20 AM
My reaction with his first two passes was here we go again poor Distribution. Then I thought he settled into the game. If he gets more game time I'm sure he will prove all the doubters wrong. Anyway I enjoyed the first competitive game. Onwards and upwards. GGTTH

hibbysam
23-07-2021, 07:31 AM
I was very aware of the years you say, if you want to tell me he’s been a good signing and not been one of the worst we have made in recent years then that’s fine. I still harbour hope he can turn it around but for me and quite honestly every Hibs fan a know hes been pretty honking. If you read my posts you will see I am very supportive of players, and want to be with DR but he needs to start showing up imo

There’s a massive middle ground between good signing and one of the worst you’ve ever seen. Unless you are 4/5. He’ll be a solid squad player and like last night, do a dirty but effective job for the side but never quite be a starter.

Greenbeard
23-07-2021, 07:34 AM
Didn't see that. I understood the change but a huge part? Enlighten me, apart from the flick for the 3rd goal. Getting a couple of crosses into the box is bread and butter stuff for a wide player and my impression (without detailed analysis) was that his overall % success rate when on the ball - crossing or making a successful pass - wasn't good enough.

hibbysam
23-07-2021, 07:37 AM
Didn't see that. I understood the change but a huge part? Enlighten me, apart from the flick for the 3rd goal. Getting a couple of crosses into the box is bread and butter stuff for a wide player and my impression (without detailed analysis) was that his overall % success rate when on the ball - crossing or making a successful pass - wasn't good enough.

The change to 4-3-2 changed the dynamics of the game. He wasnt a wide player last night, he played right of a 3 in the middle and stopped their midfield from getting the ball. It was a very good change from Ross and one that effectively killed the tie.

easty
23-07-2021, 07:42 AM

I’d agree with this.

For whatever reason, he seemed absolutely knackered after 10 mins. Could just be him trying to get back into things so early in that season. He definitely improved as the half went on.

It does show how we need another centre mid though.

brog
23-07-2021, 07:43 AM

Sums it up for me though the mixed bag bit was really only time wise. Poor 1st 10 minutes, good last 35 mins. I can't remember if it was his cross for Porto's miss or for Gogic's which hit the post, or both but they were superb whipped balls.

Greenbeard
23-07-2021, 07:43 AM
The change to 4-3-2 changed the dynamics of the game. He wasnt a wide player last night, he played right of a 3 in the middle and stopped their midfield from getting the ball. It was a very good change from Ross and one that effectively killed the tie.
Like I said I understood the change. That was what made the difference compared to the last 15 of the first half, not Wright himself. 50/50 poor/good for me.

J-C
23-07-2021, 07:45 AM

Also have to remember is he played out of position to help out the team, Hallberg or Doyle Hayes would've came on before him as they're a natural central mids but are injured.

marinello59
23-07-2021, 07:49 AM
Also have to remember is he played out of position to help out the team, Hallberg or Doyle Hayes would've came on before him as they're a natural central mids but are injured.

He played in the same position when he came on against Raith and I actually thought he looked more comfortable there than what we have seen of him in his ‘natural’ position. He did fine last night.

WestStandWillie
23-07-2021, 07:52 AM
If we're supposed to push oan as a club and retain 3rd/better then Drey isnae up to the standard.

He'll go tae someone like Ross County, probably dae awrite then secure a move to Morecambe or some other League 2 dross.

MrRobot
23-07-2021, 07:56 AM
i said on another thread i would love for him to come good. He hasn’t given a good account of himself so far at Hibs but there have been flashes of a good player. Last night I thought done OK when he came on, but he does seem to be down in confidence a lot.

Blaster
23-07-2021, 08:33 AM

We’d lost control of the game between the sending off and half time. Mackay had to go off and I’d have either brought Wright on or Doig in left midfield.

Wright’s first 3 passes he gave away but he did ok after that. We had a much better balance in the 2nd half and he was part of that. I think some fans were forgetting we were playing 10 v 11 at the point.

Is he good enough long term. Maybe not. But he did a useful job for the team last night

J-C
23-07-2021, 08:37 AM
He played in the same position when he came on against Raith and I actually thought he looked more comfortable there than what we have seen of him in his ‘natural’ position. He did fine last night.

I agree I had no problem with him last night, his 1st couple of passes were brutal but when he settled he was fine and made the 2nd half of the game a stroll.

Andy74
23-07-2021, 08:38 AM
Thought he was good tonight and this thread picking him out is poor behaviour.

JimBHibees
23-07-2021, 08:39 AM

Just got his name erased from my memory thanks for putting it back in. :greengrin

Horrific player with the heart of a sparrow.

JimBHibees
23-07-2021, 08:41 AM

Brilliant flick for the third goal. Seems very up and down. Has qualities just don't see him as anything other than a sub.

JimBHibees
23-07-2021, 08:41 AM
We’d lost control of the game between the sending off and half time. Mackay had to go off and I’d have either brought Wright on or Doig in left midfield.

Wright’s first 3 passes he gave away but he did ok after that. We had a much better balance in the 2nd half and he was part of that. I think some fans were forgetting we were playing 10 v 11 at the point.

Is he good enough long term. Maybe not. But he did a useful job for the team last night

Fair summary

Stuart93
23-07-2021, 08:50 AM

There’s plenty people who disagree though. Definitely up for discussion

He's here!
23-07-2021, 09:00 AM

Pretty much how I saw it.

jacomo
23-07-2021, 09:11 AM

The thread is discussing his performance. I don’t see any abuse, just discussion. What on earth is poor about that?

The OP is perfectly entitled to express their opinion here, as we all are.

calumhibee1
23-07-2021, 09:15 AM
The thread is discussing his performance. I don’t see any abuse, just discussion. What on earth is poor about that?

It’s how most threads go.

The Jack Ross threads end up the exact same. The slightest bit of criticism or discussion as to what we/he needs to improve on and it’s instantly replied to as if people are giving the manager/player in question dogs abuse.

jacomo
23-07-2021, 09:20 AM
It’s how most threads go.

The Jack Ross threads end up the exact same. The slightest bit of criticism or discussion as to what we/he needs to improve on and it’s instantly replied to as if people are giving the manager/player in question dogs abuse.

Yes it’s ridiculous and I’ve had a run in with another poster about it this week.

This forum is to discuss all things Hibs. Some will be positive, others negative. Discussing an individual player’s performance is entirely legitimate and hardly ‘poor behaviour’.

Andy74
23-07-2021, 09:20 AM

It's poor to come on and start a thread picking out a player for criticism, particularly when he's actually done okay in the game and played a key part in one of the goals.

He's obviously struggled for a bit of form and confidence, it is early in a new season and this type of singling out is just unhelpful.

bingo70
23-07-2021, 09:23 AM
I thought he came on and did well against Raith.

I thought he was fine when he came on last night. Did some decent things and we were a better team with him on the pitch.

Ironically, if he was a new signing that nobody had seen before and had a lot of goodwill I think people would be delighted with him. I realise that’s not how it works though.

Forza Fred
23-07-2021, 09:32 AM
Sometimes a player ‘gels’ with a particular club, and at the opposite end of the scale, sometimes a player just seems like a fish out of water at another and no matter how skilful they were before coming, just can’t replicate that form.

Chemistry almost.

I’d suggest ScottAllan is an example at one end of the scale, and Drey Wright an example of the other end.

He may well turn out to be a very good player but my observations suggest it won’t be with Hibs

I think it’s in everybody’s best interests if he manages to find a club where the chemistry is right for him.

jacomo
23-07-2021, 09:51 AM
It's poor to come on and start a thread picking out a player for criticism, particularly when he's actually done okay in the game and played a key part in one of the goals.

He's obviously struggled for a bit of form and confidence, it is early in a new season and this type of singling out is just unhelpful.

No it isn’t, it’s a discussion about Hibs and all aspects of the club.

The OP was respectful in their comments but simply said they were still struggling to see what the player offers. That’s for discussion, obviously.

You and others need to accept that people can legitimately hold opinions that differ from your own.

jacomo
23-07-2021, 09:54 AM
Sometimes a player ‘gels’ with a particular club, and at the opposite end of the scale, sometimes a player just seems like a fish out of water at another and no matter how skilful they were before coming, just can’t replicate that form.

Chemistry almost.

I’d suggest ScottAllan is an example at one end of the scale, and Drey Wright an example of the other end.

He may well turn out to be a very good player but my observations suggest it won’t be with Hibs

I think it’s in everybody’s best interests if he manages to find a club where the chemistry is right for him.

Unfortunately there’s been quite a few players from St Johnstone who haven’t been able to produce their best in a Hibs shirt, for whatever reason.

With Cadden out again it’s good we have Wright as cover. I’d like to see him come good, obviously. But so far he’s not really done it for us, although I appreciate he’s a hard working player.

Peevemor
23-07-2021, 09:55 AM
No it isn’t, it’s a discussion about Hibs and all aspects of the club.

The OP was respectful in their comments but simply said they were still struggling to see what the player offers. That’s for discussion, obviously.

You and others need to accept that people can legitimately hold opinions that differ from your own.

I think the thread is bad craic too.

That's my opinion.

Is that allowed? Is it you that decides?

jacomo
23-07-2021, 09:58 AM

That's my opinion.

:rolleyes:

bigwheel
23-07-2021, 09:59 AM

That's my opinion.

There’s nothing wrong with this thread imo. I enjoyed seeing Wright get some game time , and after a poor start grow into the game . But the fact some others don’t rate him doesn’t make it a poor thread . That’s what fans discussion forums are about . There has been no real trolling type opinions on this thread . So nothing wrong with it for me .

Stuart93
23-07-2021, 10:01 AM

That's my opinion.

It’s not anybody who decides

Some people think he’s not good enough and are yet to be convinced

And others are giving him the benefit of the doubt and thought he done well last night

And that’s just that. But it’s obviously been something that’s up for debate so I’m unsure I’d refer to it as a poor thread or bad craic

Bostonhibby
23-07-2021, 10:03 AM
Played well enough last night and why wouldn't we be positive about a Hibs player progressing in a win.

Hope we get to see more.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Peevemor
23-07-2021, 10:06 AM
There’s nothing wrong with this thread imo. I enjoyed seeing Wright get some game time , and after a poor start grow into the game . But the fact some others don’t rate him doesn’t make it a poor thread . That’s what fans discussion forums are about . There has been no real trolling type opinions on this thread . So nothing wrong with it for me .

I understand what you're saying but the OP was basically writing him off. I just find it a bit of a shame after he'd played pretty well last night (albeit after a sticky start).

superfurryhibby
23-07-2021, 10:11 AM
Yes it’s ridiculous and I’ve had a run in with another poster about it this week.

This forum is to discuss all things Hibs. Some will be positive, others negative. Discussing an individual player’s performance is entirely legitimate and hardly ‘poor behaviour’.

The irony of comments asking if their opinion is allowed, whilst indicating that it's a poor show from other who offer theirs....bizarre

If we didn't all have an opinion then we wouldn't have a discussion forum. Wright has been a disappointing signing, he'll be given the chance to turn that around no doubt, but for me he just doesn't have what it takes to become a regular starter. I would be pleased if he were to find another club and free up a wage .

Peevemor
23-07-2021, 10:27 AM
The irony of comments asking if their opinion is allowed, whilst indicating that it's a poor show from other who offer theirs....bizarre

If we didn't all have an opinion then we wouldn't have a discussion forum. Wright has been a disappointing signing, he'll be given the chance to turn that around no doubt, but for me he just doesn't have what it takes to become a regular starter. I would be pleased if he were to find another club and free up a wage .

To suggest that the thread is bad patter is an opinion like any other.

For me the irony come from comments such us - "You and others need to accept that people can legitimately hold opinions that differ from your own."

Just saying like.

jacomo
23-07-2021, 10:36 AM
To suggest that the thread is bad patter is an opinion like any other.

For me the irony come from comments such us - "You and others need to accept that people can legitimately hold opinions that differ from your own."

Just saying like.

That’s not irony pal. It’s something you should reflect on.

I’m not holding out much hope obviously.

Any other threads you’re gonna ruin today?

DTS
23-07-2021, 10:39 AM
Took a bit of time to get into the game and once he did was very good. Great flick for the 3rd if it was Scott Allan we’d be seeing it in montages for years. Also whipped a delightful ball onto Porteous’ head that he somehow missed. I recall him giving the ball away twice in the middle of the park but he also created two real goal scoring chances.. then couple in the power of running he put in alongside gogic and Magennis for the opening 15/20 when it was 10v11 and we were a man short in midfield a very good appearance for me to go with a positive showing against Raith. Get the impression no matter what he does wont be good enough for some though

GRA
23-07-2021, 10:49 AM
I remain unconvinced by Wright. First 15 mins of second half kept giving the ball away and looked short of confidence. Grew into the half later on but only once the hatchet men started getting players sent off. Easy to start to dominate against a 9 man pub team. SPL is a different matter.

ian cruise
23-07-2021, 10:53 AM
I give you Rowan Vine.

I'll add Islam Feruz

Partyraiser
23-07-2021, 10:54 AM
I was not a happy man when he came on and consistently gave the ball away but he did grow into the game, and as a couple of others have said he set up a couple of chances. Still wouldn't be anywhere near a start, and Id probably have preferred to see Bradley brought on last night ahead of Wright

ian cruise
23-07-2021, 10:58 AM
He's not been the player we hoped he would be so far however he's also would not the first player who has taken time to settle at the club.

I feared for him for the first ten minutes or so, looked like another performance similar to last season. He had an excellent run down the wing but the final ball was wasteful however he definitely grew in to the game.

The audacious flick for the third goal looked like a player brimming with confidence, not something I'd have said about him before. Maybe something just clicked, or he decided to stop worrying about making mistakes but he was definitely as good as most of the rest of the team for the last half hour.

Blaster
23-07-2021, 11:06 AM
I remain unconvinced by Wright. First 15 mins of second half kept giving the ball away and looked short of confidence. Grew into the half later on but only once the hatchet men started getting players sent off. Easy to start to dominate against a 9 man pub team. SPL is a different matter.

Probably fair enough but he did help us get control of the game again when it was 10 v 11. He obviously didn’t do it alone but unfair for folk to ignore he contributed to it

theonlywayisup
23-07-2021, 11:17 AM
Trying to be positive, he'd do a good job for Santa Coloma.

Re the couple of good crosses, the Santa Coloma player down the left (No. 8 Cisteró Serna) put in a few good crosses, but would I be happy to see him in a Hibs top. No!

Andy74
23-07-2021, 11:30 AM

It's just my opinion that it is poor from to start a thread criticising again a player that has been short of some confidence but who actually did pretty well. I think it is on the way to being hounding / scapegoating.

I haven't asked for the thread to be removed or anything.

The spoiling of the thread begins with one or two who keep talking about threads being spoiled (yes I get the fact I've now done it) not simply from people giving their opinion.

Lago
23-07-2021, 11:36 AM
What an excellent and accurate post, I would only add to your comment re Porteous, he needs to time his jump and header better, then he would have score, even allowing for his square head 😊

Smartie
23-07-2021, 11:57 AM
What an excellent and accurate post, I would only add to your comment re Porteous, he needs to time his jump and header better, then he would have score, even allowing for his square head 😊

When Porteous first broke into the team this seemed to be something he had a bit of a flair for - timing a run and header to get on the end of set pieces. IIRC he scored a couple early on in League Cup ties.

Porteous was very good last night other than in the opposition box - where, if the truth be told, he was pretty honking. He had some pretty outstanding service into dangerous areas last night and if he's to go forward, he's going to need to be doing a much better job at timing his runs, jumps and headers to be getting on the end of them. It was pretty wasteful tbh. I know he's a CH but this has looked like a strength of his game in the past.

superfurryhibby
23-07-2021, 12:25 PM
It's just my opinion that it is poor from to start a thread criticising again a player that has been short of some confidence but who actually did pretty well. I think it is on the way to being hounding / scapegoating.

I haven't asked for the thread to be removed or anything.

The spoiling of the thread begins with one or two who keep talking about threads being spoiled (yes I get the fact I've now done it) not simply from people giving their opinion.

The thread started off with a fairly critical post. However, there's been plenty coming on since to say that he had a decent game and outlining positive contributions from Wright.

AS we all know, no Hibs player is exempt from criticism on here, even a bona fide legend like Stevenson gets it tight at times. Usually, the voice of the majority prevails and for every critical post, there's usually a good few more on to counter it.

In terms of scapegoating players, it's far from a modern era phenomena. Going back to my teens, guys like Jackie McNamara used to get it bad, although he won fans over in time. Lots of players we look back with a degree of fondness now suffered terrible abuse from guys on the terracing (like Benny Brazil, Gordon Rae, Alan Sneddon, Joe Tortolano.

Wright, is liked by Ross. Fair enough he signed him and he makes the decisions about who plays. Fans by and large are unimpressed. Some numpties will give him dogs abuse (it's not something I do ). If it's not him, it'll be someone else. Sadly, that's just the mentally of the hard of thinking.

I

MWHIBBIES
23-07-2021, 12:42 PM
I was not a happy man when he came on and consistently gave the ball away but he did grow into the game, and as a couple of others have said he set up a couple of chances. Still wouldn't be anywhere near a start, and Id probably have preferred to see Bradley brought on last night ahead of Wright

Bradley would not have been able to do the job Wright done IMO. The job for a more experienced player.

easty
23-07-2021, 12:48 PM
Trying to be positive, he'd do a good job for Santa Coloma.

Re the couple of good crosses, the Santa Coloma player down the left (No. 8 Cisteró Serna) put in a few good crosses, but would I be happy to see him in a Hibs top. No!

That left winger put in a few crosses, but I’d not call them good. His distribution was *****.

JimBHibees
23-07-2021, 12:54 PM
When Porteous first broke into the team this seemed to be something he had a bit of a flair for - timing a run and header to get on the end of set pieces. IIRC he scored a couple early on in League Cup ties.

Porteous was very good last night other than in the opposition box - where, if the truth be told, he was pretty honking. He had some pretty outstanding service into dangerous areas last night and if he's to go forward, he's going to need to be doing a much better job at timing his runs, jumps and headers to be getting on the end of them. It was pretty wasteful tbh. I know he's a CH but this has looked like a strength of his game in the past.

Porto always looks like he is trying to put too much power on the headers and loses the accuracy. Many of them are just about finding a corner from such close range. Thought it was good to see some good movement at corners as it is definitely an area for improvement

hibsboy69
23-07-2021, 05:36 PM
He looks out of shape (some might say “heavy”) to me.

Was breathing out of his arse only 10 mins. after he came on !

Started really poorly but then did ok (against our opponents who are part time and were down to 9 men at that point)

Poor signing, really poor.

Inconsequential
23-07-2021, 08:03 PM
That’s not irony pal. It’s something you should reflect on.

I’m not holding out much hope obviously.

Any other threads you’re gonna ruin today? Not my disagreement but imo you're being condescending to another poster. He hasn't ruined the thread you have. A discussion or trying to put another poster in their place? Adult discussions are rare on here. That's my opinion and don't snap back at me as I'm always right .:wink:

Jones28
23-07-2021, 08:25 PM

There are literally whole squads of players worse than Drey Wright, some people have astonishingly short memories.

SMAXXA
23-07-2021, 08:52 PM
There are literally whole squads of players worse than Drey Wright, some people have astonishingly short memories.

I stand by what I said, that’s my opinion and accept others think otherwise which is fine.

Viva_Palmeiras
23-07-2021, 09:00 PM
Perhaps some background context.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53472243.amp (https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53472243.amp)

i know what it was like for me approaching having my first kid.
Everyone’s different but you never really know just how huge an impact it is until you have one.
Twins a whole different ball game. And in times of COVID that’s a tough gig. You may be mentally strong but if your partner is finding it touch its hard not to be affected. And that’s without post-natal depression. I’ve known a couple that had twins and seemed shell-shocked by it for a long while and disappeared off the radar.

Some folks appear to forget players are human too. Every now and then it’s worth remembering.

Tin hat on but ffs guys I’m hoping for a bit more humanity - hope I don’t find its in short supply.

Here’s where managers deal with the situations life throws at people, understand circumstances and know when to push and when to support. That’s the progressive managers as opposed to the dinosaurs.

calumhibee1
23-07-2021, 09:14 PM

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53472243.amp (https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53472243.amp)

Everyone’s different but you never really know just how huge an impact it is until you have one.
Twins a whole different ball game. And in times of COVID that’s a tough gig. You may be mentally strong but if your partner is finding it touch its hard not to be affected. And that’s without post-natal depression. I’ve known a couple that had twins and seemed shell-shocked by it for a long while and disappeared off the radar.

Some folks appear to forget players are human too. Every now and then it’s worth remembering.

Tin hat on but ffs guys I’m hoping for a bit more humanity - hope I don’t find its in short supply.

Here’s where managers deal with the situations life throws at people, understand circumstances and know when to push and when to support. That’s the progressive managers as opposed to the dinosaurs.

The link doesn’t work mate

Peevemor
23-07-2021, 09:19 PM
The link doesn’t work mateWorks for me.

Viva_Palmeiras
23-07-2021, 09:21 PM
Works for me.

Yup Cut and pasted the link to check in Chrome and Brave and worked - on top of Safari.

calumhibee1
23-07-2021, 10:25 PM
Yup Cut and pasted the link to check in Chrome and Brave and worked - on top of Safari.

Ah, I clicked it and it opened it up in the BBC sport app. It doesn’t work that way!

It does indeed work as just a straight up website.

hibbysam
23-07-2021, 10:50 PM

Started really poorly but then did ok (against our opponents who are part time and were down to 9 men at that point)

They went down to 9 men after 27 minutes, people can have their opinions but to say he didn’t do ok until 27 minutes after coming on is as much of a nonsense as you can get.

Peevemor
24-07-2021, 07:26 AM
They went down to 9 men after 27 minutes, people can have their opinions but to say he didn’t do ok until 27 minutes after coming on is as much of a nonsense as you can get.Also on the thread (rightfully) praising Kevin Nisbet, nobody is suggesting that it's because we were playing against 9 men.

theonlywayisup
24-07-2021, 08:07 AM
That left winger put in a few crosses, but I’d not call them good. His distribution was *****.

Well, they almost scored from one; the one that the striker narrowly put past the post. There was also a good cut-back to the edge of the box.

I'm not saying he was Messi, but I saw enough from him to make a Drey Wright comparison. Remember one was playing in a poor team; the other was playing in a dominant team.

jacomo
24-07-2021, 11:43 AM

Yes I’m all for a bit empathy. Hibs tends to do the right thing by its employees and I’m sure the club will have offered Drey and his family as much support as possible. All good.

Likewise, it’s great to see Scotty back playing.

As fans though we only see performances and impact on the pitch. Footballers do their work in a very public environment, that’s just the harsh reality. It would be great if both these players have good seasons for us but ultimately the team can’t afford to carry passengers.

Fergos
24-07-2021, 02:00 PM
If they wear the Hibs badge, without disrespecting it, they get my support.

Keep it simple.

GGTTH

Bostonhibby
24-07-2021, 02:02 PM

Keep it simple.

GGTTH[emoji106]

matty_f
24-07-2021, 02:47 PM

Keep it simple.

GGTTH
It is as simple as that. :agree:

LongJohnBanger
24-07-2021, 03:15 PM

Who is your critique of here really; Jack Ross or Drey Wright?

Either Jack Ross is playing an overweight unfit player or Wright is an overweight unfit player who's got himself into the first team squad somehow.

It's one thing to say his performances have been unimpressive but it's another entirely to call into doubt his professionalism when you've got no basis for those accusations whatsoever.

You can say he's been a poor, poor signing but he played his part in Hibs victory on Thursday night, particularly in regards to Hibs third goal.

Glory Lurker
24-07-2021, 03:17 PM
He finished last season well and once he got in to his stride on Thursday looked like he's picking up where he left off. In Drey We Trust.

matty_f
24-07-2021, 03:22 PM

Either Jack Ross is playing an overweight unfit player or Wright is an overweight unfit player who's got himself into the first team squad somehow.

It's one thing to say his performances have been unimpressive but it's another entirely to call into doubt his professionalism when you've got no basis for those accusations whatsoever.

You can say he's been a poor, poor signing but he played his part in Hibs victory on Thursday night, particularly in regards to Hibs third goal.

Imho, there aren’t any players that looked out of shape. They’re rigorously tested and there’s no way Hibs would be risking anyone who was unfit.

CMurdoch
24-07-2021, 03:25 PM
Imho, there aren’t any players that looked out of shape. They’re rigorously tested and there’s no way Hibs would be risking anyone who was unfit.

No way any player including Wright at Hibs is overweight, unfit, missing training etc, etc.
Hibs and Ross run a very tight ship these days.
Unprofessional players are no longer recruited.

Final year of their contracts for many Hibs players including Wright.
If he isn't part exchanged in a deal with St Johnstone in this window he will be a useful guy to have around.
As a high earner Scott Allan is probably under more pressure to perform than Wright this season in order to stay at Hibs beyond next summer..

J-C
24-07-2021, 05:39 PM
I think some folk forget about the shape of certain players, Rooney and Luke Shaw always look to be rather chunky and carrying a bit of timber but they're build quite thick, Wright is an inch or so taller than Boyle but is build totally differently, he'd be nowhere near the team if he was so unfit.

hibsboy69
24-07-2021, 08:48 PM

It was an observation about his weight and the fact he looked cream crackered only 10 mins after he came on! Tad surprising.

I do think he’s been really poor since signing, as his lack of appearances would show.

Hope he turns it round, but really can’t see him doing that. Believe he’s on pretty decent wage too ! 😫

jacomo
24-07-2021, 08:57 PM
I think some folk forget about the shape of certain players, Rooney and Luke Shaw always look to be rather chunky and carrying a bit of timber but they're build quite thick, Wright is an inch or so taller than Boyle but is build totally differently, he'd be nowhere near the team if he was so unfit.

:agree:

Lancs Harp
24-07-2021, 09:03 PM

And who can forget Conrad?

FilipinoHibs
24-07-2021, 09:14 PM

Rooney's weight went up and down. It is down to diet and you can shed the extra fat by cutting down on carbs and fatty foods. Drey is not overweight but is carrying excess fat. It will be down to his diet not the training regime. Losing the excess fat will improve his performances. I think it says something about his attitude that he his content with the odd sub appearance,pick-up a bigger wage than at ST Johnstone. He looks lack lustre whenever he comes on. I would move him on at the earliest opportunity. He is unlikely to go as that would involve a drop in wages although Hibs could subsidise the deal.

flash
24-07-2021, 09:17 PM
Rooney's weight went up and down. It is down to diet and you can shed the extra fat by cutting down on carbs and fatty foods. Drey is not overweight but is carrying excess fat. It will be down to his diet not the training regime. Losing the excess fat will improve his performances. I think it says something about his attitude that he his content with the odd sub appearance,pick-up a bigger wage than at ST Johnstone. He looks lack lustre whenever he comes on. I would move him on at the earliest opportunity. He is unlikely to go as that would involve a drop in wages although Hibs could subsidise the deal.

Utter pish from first word to last.

Glory Lurker
24-07-2021, 09:34 PM

This. I'm at a loss at suggestions that anyone who played on Thursday looked unfit. I didn't see one unfit player. Some lack of match-sharpness here and there, but that's to be expected at this point.

jacomo
24-07-2021, 09:47 PM

Couldn’t agree more.

Andy74
24-07-2021, 09:51 PM

Total drivel.

hibbysam
24-07-2021, 09:54 PM

‘Is carrying excess fat’ - love how you know that, maybe you should let our sports scientists know.

LongJohnBanger
24-07-2021, 10:17 PM
It was an observation about his weight and the fact he looked cream crackered only 10 mins after he came on! Tad surprising.

I do think he’s been really poor since signing, as his lack of appearances would show.

Hope he turns it round, but really can’t see him doing that. Believe he’s on pretty decent wage too ! 😫

This is all just speculation attempting to be passed off as fact.

Are you honestly saying he looks overweight in this image?

https://twitter.com/HibernianFC/status/1418334036049596417?s=20

You've said he was blowing out his arse after 10 minutes and yet, Drey Wright found himself involved in Hibs third goal in the 81st minute and saw out the full 45 minutes available to him. How do you explain that?

Drey Wright has not had a stellar time in a Hibs jersey thus far but to suggest you've observed he's overweight and unfit is quite simply bull****.

J-C
25-07-2021, 06:04 AM

Just what was going to say.

jacomo
25-07-2021, 08:43 AM
And who can forget Conrad?

He’s just big boned.

:wink:

Bostonhibby
25-07-2021, 09:08 AM
And who can forget Conrad?Finely tuned machine, cat like in a Bagpuss sort of a way.

hibsboy69
26-07-2021, 02:27 PM
This is all just speculation attempting to be passed off as fact.

Are you honestly saying he looks overweight in this image?

https://twitter.com/HibernianFC/status/1418334036049596417?s=20

You've said he was blowing out his arse after 10 minutes and yet, Drey Wright found himself involved in Hibs third goal in the 81st minute and saw out the full 45 minutes available to him. How do you explain that?

Drey Wright has not had a stellar time in a Hibs jersey thus far but to suggest you've observed he's overweight and unfit is quite simply bull****.

lt’s quite easy to explain how he managed to be involved in our 3rd goal actually.

Our opponents are part time and were down to 9 men for a start.

Drey looked portly (In my opinion and based on my observation) when he came on. A number of us also observed and commented that he looked cattled after only 10 mins on the pitch !

Have a great day !

flash
26-07-2021, 02:43 PM
lt’s quite easy to explain how he managed to be involved in our 3rd goal actually.

Drey looked portly (In my opinion and based on my observation) when he came on. A number of us also observed and commented that he looked cattled after only 10 mins on the pitch !

Have a great day !
Portly. Have a word.

LongJohnBanger
27-07-2021, 12:23 PM

Have a great day !

Sound 👍

patlowe
27-07-2021, 12:44 PM
He may have just looked out of breath after 10 minutes due to the situation and conditions, then caught his breath before his real fitness showed. It always takes a bit of time to adapt to the pace of a game when coming on, not to mention the impact of any anxiety he would've been feeling about not playing much, being low on confidence and eager to impress, first significant time in front of the ER crowd etc. Plus the unusually warm weather. Not the guy's biggest fan but give him a break.

hibbysam
27-07-2021, 02:17 PM
He may have just looked out of breath after 10 minutes due to the situation and conditions, then caught his breath before his real fitness showed. It always takes a bit of time to adapt to the pace of a game when coming on, not to mention the impact of any anxiety he would've been feeling about not playing much, being low on confidence and eager to impress, first significant time in front of the ER crowd etc. Plus the unusually warm weather. Not the guy's biggest fan but give him a break.

Whilst also playing in a side with 10 men.

JimBHibees
27-07-2021, 02:20 PM

Have a great day !

Honestly didn't even think he looked any different from what I remember him. Didn't start great which looked like it affected him but came onto a game with a brilliant flick in our third goal and a couple of very good crosses. At no point did I think he was struggling physically. At games he could do with fans supporting him I think.

JimBHibees
27-07-2021, 02:21 PM

Agree totally