PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Magennis

Northernhibee
22-07-2021, 09:24 PM
Thought he looked sharp tonight and in pre season. Hopefully this is us beginning to see what he can do.

If Allan and Kyle can step up it will be like having two quality new signings.

calumhibee1
22-07-2021, 09:25 PM
He looked much better tonight than he has done previously.

As you said, if him and Allan can offer something this season then it’ll be like two new signings.

S4uzee
22-07-2021, 09:26 PM
He looked a lot better tonight and grew in confidence albeit against a part time team. However, good to see him in his natural position and not wide left

Stonewall
22-07-2021, 09:27 PM
Thought he looked sharp tonight and in pre season. Hopefully this is us beginning to see what he can do.

If Allan and Kyle can step up it will be like having two quality new signings.

I agree. I thought Kyle looked so much sharper and more confident today. Let’s hope this continues.

Scooter
Excellent

Smartie
Looked excellent tonight.

He needs to be starting games.

I think we should be playing him ahead of Newell next week irrespective of bans or appeals, and it should then be up to Newell to dislodge him from the team.

hibbysam
Quality football player lacking a pre season last year. Wasn’t hard to figure out.

Squealing pig
22-07-2021, 09:28 PM
Did look a player tonight , might give newell a run for his position , healthy competition

Brightside
22-07-2021, 09:28 PM
He’s a quality footballer. Just needs time and a run of games. Lots more to come.

S4uzee
22-07-2021, 09:29 PM

I think we should be playing him ahead of Newell next week irrespective of bans or appeals, and it should then be up to Newell to dislodge him from the team.
I agree. Newell takes too many touches and slows the game down

green day
22-07-2021, 09:33 PM
He is a better player than Newell (who I like).

Much more dynamic, but can see them both getting time this season.

Would be good to see them in competition for that spot.

MrRobot
22-07-2021, 09:38 PM
This is gonna be a huge season for him and he’s really looking the part so far.

Unseen work
22-07-2021, 09:39 PM
Can’t see him playing instead of Newell as I think Ross has built the team around him and he’s instrumental to how he wants us to play.

Think once he’s up and running he will play ahead of Gogic.

GreenCastle
22-07-2021, 09:41 PM
Impressed with him. Really happy for him too after his injuries.

Looked confident and more settled.

Fingers crossed he keeps this up and will be a big player for us next few seasons.

Benny Brazil
22-07-2021, 09:52 PM
Was my MoM - thought he was really good tonight and showed why Ross was keen to get him in, hopefully gets a run of games now

Stuart93
22-07-2021, 09:56 PM
Aye thought he was really good tonight. Few times he could’ve released the ball a bit quicker but looked composed and assured in possession. This seasons player of the year is my massive bold prediction

worcesterhibby
22-07-2021, 09:59 PM
Great shift from him tonight, particularly 2nd half

BegbieHSC
22-07-2021, 10:19 PM
Going to be a big player for us this season.
Excellent shift tonight, wee man!

GRA
22-07-2021, 10:20 PM
Thought he did well especially 2nd half. Unfortunately had some idiot in the East stand who did nothing but slag him off soon as he came on. Thankfully didn't return after HT. Just as well, we don't need those personalities at Easter Road!

hibbysam
22-07-2021, 10:22 PM
Hopefully find in majority of games we can play him and Newell beside each other and really take care of the ball and pass teams off the park. Gogic is a big player for us when required but too many slack passes when we try and control games.

JohnM1875
22-07-2021, 10:22 PM
Thought he did well especially 2nd half. Unfortunately had some idiot in the East stand who did nothing but slag him off soon as he came on. Thankfully didn't return after HT. Just as well, we don't need those personalities at Easter Road!

Crazy that you get folk like that eh? No matter how good a game the guy has some folk will just always dislike a player. We had the exact same in the West.

No surprise that the same guy had it in for Wright thr whole game as well.

Onceinawhile
22-07-2021, 10:26 PM
Thought he had a great game when he came on.

J-C
22-07-2021, 10:27 PM
For me he's ahead of Newell for the starting spot, looked very good and sharp when he came on, a good pre season has helped him a lot and can see why we signed him.

steve75
22-07-2021, 10:28 PM
Thought initially he was poor tbh. Couple of particular occasions he shirked taking control of the ball and we ended up losing possession.

When we went 10v10 and 10v9 he grew into the game but I was looking for more control of the game earlier.

HOWEVER I really think theres a great player in there, and the last quarter of the game shows he just needs a bit of confidence.

JimBHibees
22-07-2021, 10:29 PM
Has always been a good player looked sharp tonight on the ball. Corners were in the main very good also. An asset to the club. Will only get better imo.

Brooster
22-07-2021, 11:00 PM
He played really well, great performance.

matty_f
22-07-2021, 11:18 PM
I thought he was a contender for man of the match, he put in s great performance. Hopefully see more of this from him, as I think he’s a really good player.

SMAXXA
22-07-2021, 11:21 PM
Man of the match for me he was class

Alex Trager
23-07-2021, 06:27 AM
Played really well I thought.

Was it him that hit that belter of a shot in the second half?

Since452
23-07-2021, 07:03 AM
Looked like a Hibs number 7 last night.

Winston Ingram
23-07-2021, 08:12 AM
He looked much better tonight than he has done previously.

As you said, if him and Allan can offer something this season then it’ll be like two new signings.

Probably down to the fact that JR didn’t shoehorn him into left midfield

patlowe
23-07-2021, 08:24 AM
Looks like they've been working on set-pieces from KM on to Porteous' head - the deliveries have been great so could be a pretty effective strategy if RP starts getting a few more on target.

Green_one
23-07-2021, 08:24 AM
I think that was the real version, the one Ross bought. Not the ‘coming back from injury’ one.

I thought he was a lot better than Newell. Felt a bit sorry for Allan going off so early

JimBHibees
23-07-2021, 08:26 AM
Played really well I thought.

Was it him that hit that belter of a shot in the second half?

Yes the one where Boyle was offside and Nisbet scored.

Blaster
23-07-2021, 08:26 AM
Thought he was excellent. Great shift and supported Mcginn well too

Tambo
23-07-2021, 10:37 AM
That was the best I've seen him play. All be it vs non footballers but let's hope he can put together a run of good form.

Brightside
23-07-2021, 10:38 AM
That was the best I've seen him play. All be it vs non footballers but let's hope he can put together a run of good form.

He just needs to be in the middle of the park.

Partyraiser
23-07-2021, 10:49 AM
Very impressive last night! Can also deliver a mean dead ball and kept the ball well under pressure. Hopefully in a few weeks we'll all be asking "Jackson who?!"

neil7908
23-07-2021, 10:53 AM
I was really pleased when we signed him. Delighted he's starting to show form, and not a surprise given he's had a proper recovery from injury and a pre season under his belt.

hibee1875
23-07-2021, 10:58 AM
It’s up to him now to keep Newell out the team, altho I suppose we’ll appeal the red card?

Allan, Magennis, Newell, Gogic and Doyle-Heyes all fighting for 3 spots

23-07-2021, 09:39 PM
Very impressive last night! Can also deliver a mean dead ball and kept the ball well under pressure. Hopefully in a few weeks we'll all be asking "Jackson who?!"

I thought so too, put in a lot of good balls. Hopefully there's plenty more to come.

Hibee Mac
23-07-2021, 09:48 PM
Thought he played well, certainly the most he's stood out since arriving. I'm also very aware that he was only playing against part time farmers... HOWEVER, so were the rest of our team and he looked one of our better players.

Here's hoping he can push on this year and show us why we signed him.

SMAXXA
23-07-2021, 09:49 PM
It’s up to him now to keep Newell out the team, altho I suppose we’ll appeal the red card?

Allan, Magennis, Newell, Gogic and Doyle-Heyes all fighting for 3 spots

I don’t think we are appealing it. Expect Magennis to start second leg

B.H.F.C
23-07-2021, 10:06 PM
Thought he did well last night.

Would like to see him get a few games in there. Would give us a bit more purpose than Newell I think.

Northernhibee
01-08-2021, 06:51 PM
Excellent again. Wants to get forward and be positive.

hibee1875
01-08-2021, 06:56 PM
Delighted he’s showing why we shelled out £500k for him. I think he’ll be a big player this season

Mr. Wonderful
01-08-2021, 06:57 PM
Shades of Pat Mcginley, first midfield player to arrive late in the box since him.

hibbysam
01-08-2021, 06:58 PM
Delighted he’s showing why we shelled out £500k for him. I think he’ll be a big player this season

Full preseason and hopefully niggling injuries behind him, looks strong and was always going to end up a key player for us due to fee and contract length.

Andy74
01-08-2021, 07:15 PM

We didn’t shell out £500k for him.

Sheffhibee
01-08-2021, 07:17 PM
Kyle, Scotty and JDH should be our 1st choice Cen Mid's this season

Since452
01-08-2021, 07:24 PM
A full pre season will have done him the world of good. Felt he was always playing catch up. Can see exactly why Ross wanted him.

SMAXXA
01-08-2021, 07:28 PM
He was brilliant again today great to see

Edinburgh Green
01-08-2021, 07:30 PM

500k!? Try 10% of that and you’ll be a lot closer.

Hibee Mac
01-08-2021, 07:32 PM
Delighted he’s showing why we shelled out £500k for him. I think he’ll be a big player this seasonHe looked great today, chuffed to see him finally show what he can do for us.

Where did you hear £500k from btw? Seems unlikely we'd pay that for him tbh

hibee1875
01-08-2021, 07:39 PM
500k!? Try 10% of that and you’ll be a lot closer.

It was a 6 figure fee. I’m sure at the time it was reported that the first knocked back bid was £250k altho I may be getting the 500k mixed up with the 5 year deal

Garymcl
01-08-2021, 08:12 PM
Brilliant today between him and squirrel for mom :flag:

blackpoolhibs
01-08-2021, 08:16 PM
Quality football player lacking a pre season last year. Wasn’t hard to figure out.
:agree:. :lips seal

Key West
01-08-2021, 08:19 PM
Magennis and Doyle Hayes looked effective today the latter reminding me of McGeouch, it will keep Newell and Gogic on their toes.

GreenCastle
01-08-2021, 08:20 PM
Quickly becoming one of my favourite players to watch. Delighted for him and also threw himself into several challenges. Played with a swagger which is great to see. Keep it up!

Kyle Kyle super Kyle super Kyle Magennis

Edinburgh Green
01-08-2021, 08:26 PM
It was a 6 figure fee. I’m sure at the time it was reported that the first knocked back bid was £250k altho I may be getting the 500k mixed up with the 5 year deal

He had about 9 months left on his contract and was still injured, it would of been £100k tops. £80k was the number I heard.

Iggy Pope
01-08-2021, 08:28 PM
He had about 9 months left on his contract and was still injured, it would of been £100k tops. £80k was the number I heard.

Would have. Have. HAVE! C’mon man.

J-C
01-08-2021, 08:34 PM
Exactly the type of midfielder we've been looking for, total box2box player and looks raring to go, nearest thing to SJM I've seen.

calumhibee1
01-08-2021, 08:40 PM
Much better performance today than anything he’d been putting in last season. Hopefully he can keep it up. :agree:

B.H.F.C
01-08-2021, 08:41 PM
Really good today. Totally different player playing centrally.

judas
01-08-2021, 08:44 PM

This.

WhileTheChief..
01-08-2021, 08:47 PM
He looks solid.

The centre mid position is there for the taking. He should be aiming to start there every week.

Centre Hawf
01-08-2021, 08:53 PM
He's looked much more like the player we were told he was/could be the last few weeks. Hoping to see that improvement continue but like many have said on the basis of what I've seen so far this season he's the first name in that midfield trio we tend to play with.

Mikey_1875
01-08-2021, 08:54 PM
Excellent today, especially in the first half I thought when he was the spearhead of the midfield three. Looks fighting fit and hopefully can be the goals from midfield that we need. I think it will be pretty hard for Allan to displace him.

Unseen work
01-08-2021, 08:57 PM
Really good today especially first half when we were struggling and he was trying to pull us through.

A couple of crunching tackles.

A couple of runs in behind.

Played the right pass, knows when to keep it simple and when to take a risk.

Grabbed a goal.

Loved his run which should have resulted in a penalty. Head down and drive at the heart of them.

He is looking much much sharper than at any point last season and looks comfortable in himself. Showed excellent feet at times and can get out of tricky positions.

Hibee Mac
01-08-2021, 09:00 PM
Excellent today, especially in the first half I thought when he was the spearhead of the midfield three. Looks fighting fit and hopefully can be the goals from midfield that we need. I think it will be pretty hard for Allan to displace him.Totally agree, he looked much better in that position in the first half. Was less involved when out wide (I think he was wide left?) When we went to 442 second half.

Want to see him start there maybe with JDH in place of Gogic starting.

Hiber-nation
01-08-2021, 09:06 PM
We were a totally different team with him fit and playing centrally. Lots of wee passing triangles that we didn't see last season. Fingers crossed that his injuries are a thing of the past.

Hibbyradge
01-08-2021, 09:06 PM
:agree:. :lips seal

There must be a shortage of humble pie in Edinburgh this weekend.

Or rather, there should be, but there won't.

Juniper Greens
01-08-2021, 09:16 PM

It was a lot more than 80k.
Being out of contract doesn't matter as he's under 23, and a compo fee would have been c200k. So for us to get him a year early, we would have paid a fair bit more than that

Fritz
01-08-2021, 09:19 PM
Reminds me of Pat ‘Goals’ McGinlay. If he’s half the player Pat was for us he’ll do for me.

Juniper Greens
01-08-2021, 09:20 PM
I'm really hopeful he will kick on this season and be our best player in the middle of the park.

Clarence
01-08-2021, 09:24 PM
Reminds me of Pat ‘Goals’ McGinlay. If he’s half the player Pat was for us he’ll do for me.

I thought so too but then again I’m always hoping for the second coming of the legend that was P McG.

matty_f
01-08-2021, 09:35 PM
When we signed Maggenis from St Mirren, I was really excited about seeing him in a Hibs top. Last season, for a whole variety of reasons, it just didn't happen for him. He's had a pre-season under his belt, and looks at full fitness, and the difference in his performances is staggering. Today we saw exactly the type of player we thought we were getting when we signed him. He has been excellent whenever he's played this season, and could be a crucial player for us. I genuinely think he'll leave us for bigger things and we'll make a whack of money on him when he does. He's capable, if he continues to develop, of performing at the very highest level in the same way that John McGinn was when he was at Easter Road.

Great performance today, he had a bit of everything about him and for me, was only outshone by Kevin Nisbet this afternoon.

MWHIBBIES
01-08-2021, 09:37 PM
I don't really see much thats box to box about him. He was playing well far forward, behind the striker. He was not playing box to box today at all.

The Modfather
01-08-2021, 09:48 PM
There must be a shortage of humble pie in Edinburgh this weekend.

Or rather, there should be, but there won't.

Does the humble pie extend to Ross as well and playing him centrally rather than some sort of no mans land on the left? 😀

He looks a different player this season and potentially someone to genuinely build the midfield around.

Hibbyradge
01-08-2021, 09:56 PM
Does the humble pie extend to Ross as well and playing him centrally rather than some sort of no mans land on the left? 😀

He looks a different player this season and potentially someone to genuinely build the midfield around.

I'm certain that it was pointed out ad nauseum that he was being played out of position to give him game time but that was ignored by his detractors.

Anyway, it's great that he's rewarding those who had faith in him while he was recuperating after a serious injury.

Recuperating isn't the right word is it? :hmmm:

Selkirkhibs
01-08-2021, 10:41 PM

He certainly has that look about him. Even when Magennis was playing bit parts here and there when not fully up to speed we could still see that there was potential there. Now we're starting to see the near fully fit Magennis, its looking likely that we have a very good player on our books. Hopefully he'll go on to be a key part of our midfield engine room.

:aok:

Crunchie
02-08-2021, 06:26 AM
When we signed Maggenis from St Mirren, I was really excited about seeing him in a Hibs top. Last season, for a whole variety of reasons, it just didn't happen for him. He's had a pre-season under his belt, and looks at full fitness, and the difference in his performances is staggering. Today we saw exactly the type of player we thought we were getting when we signed him. He has been excellent whenever he's played this season, and could be a crucial player for us. I genuinely think he'll leave us for bigger things and we'll make a whack of money on him when he does. He's capable, if he continues to develop, of performing at the very highest level in the same way that John McGinn was when he was at Easter Road.

Great performance today, he had a bit of everything about him and for me, was only outshone by Kevin Nisbet this afternoon.
I was never in doubt the boy was a player, I tipped him as our future captain and I stick by that :aok:

GreenCastle
08-08-2021, 04:48 PM
Another goal from midfield. 2 in 2 now.

Getting stronger and fitter each game.

Great to see !

The Modfather
08-08-2021, 04:58 PM
Maybe getting ahead of myself, particularly as I didn’t see the game today, but wonder if in a few years he’ll be spoken about in the same tone as McGinn. Although don’t think he’ll go as far after Hibs as McGinn.

wookie70
08-08-2021, 05:00 PM
Excellent again today. Looks a real player in a central advanced midfield position. Works very hard, lots of quality on the ball, good delivery and scores goals. Much to like

Torto7
08-08-2021, 05:00 PM
Best balanced midfield weve had in years. If Kyle continues and remains clear of injuries he'll be a potential poty.

Stevie Reid
08-08-2021, 05:05 PM
Absolutely delighted for him and us. Was worried last season that having such a difficult start - for a variety of reasons - was going to see him never manage to get off the ground.

He looks different class at the moment - dynamic, clever, keeps things moving quickly, and great physicality about him.

Two goals in two league games is a great start - if we can keep our front three here, and get a midfielder in double figures for goals, we could have a really special season.

The Spaceman
08-08-2021, 05:08 PM
He reminds me a lot of John McGinn. Another monster performance today - he looks the real deal in the middle alongside JDH.

G15 Hibs
08-08-2021, 05:10 PM

Exactly what I was just thinking.

mayo hibee
08-08-2021, 05:12 PM
It was a lot more than 80k.
Being out of contract doesn't matter as he's under 23, and a compo fee would have been c200k. So for us to get him a year early, we would have paid a fair bit more than that

Yes, not sure where the 80k number has come from, more like £300k if I remember correctly. I think it will prove to be money well spent all the same.

calumhibee1
08-08-2021, 05:20 PM
Done well again today :agree:

Thought JDH was the pick of the bunch in the middle but all 3 of them done very well.

Hibs Class
08-08-2021, 05:25 PM
Impressed me on Thursday and again today

Mr. Wonderful
08-08-2021, 05:59 PM
Shades of Pat Mcginley

Vault Boy
08-08-2021, 06:00 PM
Pler. Brilliant to see him up to speed and in full flow.

HibbyAndy
08-08-2021, 06:06 PM
Shades of Pat Mcginley

If he gets even half the goals Pat got we have a player on our hands

bringbackbenny
08-08-2021, 06:10 PM
If he gets even half the goals Pat got we have a player on our hands

100%, McGinlay was a great player for Hibs one of my all-time favourites

MWHIBBIES
08-08-2021, 06:34 PM
Any midfielder who scores is the next Pat McGinley

Iggy Pope
08-08-2021, 06:46 PM

McGinlay.

HibbyAndy
08-08-2021, 06:47 PM
100%, McGinlay was a great player for Hibs one of my all-time favourites

Mine to pal , McGinlay was a proper box to box player :aok:

Torto7
08-08-2021, 06:55 PM
Its a blessing Irvine left as Kyle would be on the bench most likely.

MWHIBBIES
08-08-2021, 06:55 PM
McGinlay.

Aye, him

Pretty Boy
08-08-2021, 07:02 PM
The midfield central 3 were all superb today. As were Murphy and Boyle.

Everyone knew their role, everyone carried out their job properly and it just worked. Credit for that has to go to the manager. He's evidently identified players that better suit what he wants to do and so far this season it's working.

We are so much better to watch, so much more composed and comfortable on the ball and so much more fluid than last year.

Newell was the pick of the bunch for me, and I say that as someone who has been a critic of him, but both Magennis and JDH were also very, very good.

Since452
08-08-2021, 07:07 PM
Delighted for him. His qualities are plain to see now he's had a full pre season. Good signing.

Borderhibbie76
08-08-2021, 08:51 PM

Forgot he even existed after watching that midfield trio the last 2 games mate but good point

Unseen work
08-08-2021, 09:13 PM
Can’t tell you how chuffed I am for him.

I was a big fan when he was at St Mirren and had said for a while I’d like to see us go for him.

When he signed I was delighted but his performances after being injured started to worry me a bit near the end as he never seemed to be getting sharper or any better. He’s never a winger though and that left me with a bit of optimism even though I still expected more.

This season though with a full pre season under his belt he is a different animal and exactly what I expected.

He’s playing in the Allan role and is a completely different player but wow he’s doing it well.

He is more than happy to put in a crunching tackle and do the dirty side of the game off the ball. But even when we have the ball he’s willing to make the runs in behind the striker to take us up the pitch and stretch the opposition, giving them something to think about.

On the ball he’s happy to put his head down and run but I’m impressed at how sharp he is and even when tightly marked manages to get away from the opposition, he rarely gives the ball away which is impressive in that role.

He never forces it and is happy to play the simple ball and then move to get back on it again.

He’s also a big goal threat as shown in the last 2 games, not often you see an attacking midfielder scoring a header like that today.

Him, JDH and Newell is a very exciting middle 3. All very comfortable on the ball and willing to do the dirty side too.

Mr. Wonderful
08-08-2021, 09:24 PM

Deary me

Stonewall
08-08-2021, 09:41 PM

I was a big fan when he was at St Mirren and had said for a while I’d like to see us go for him.

When he signed I was delighted but his performances after being injured started to worry me a bit near the end as he never seemed to be getting sharper or any better. He’s never a winger though and that left me with a bit of optimism even though I still expected more.

This season though with a full pre season under his belt he is a different animal and exactly what I expected.

He’s playing in the Allan role and is a completely different player but wow he’s doing it well.

He is more than happy to put in a crunching tackle and do the dirty side of the game off the ball. But even when we have the ball he’s willing to make the runs in behind the striker to take us up the pitch and stretch the opposition, giving them something to think about.

On the ball he’s happy to put his head down and run but I’m impressed at how sharp he is and even when tightly marked manages to get away from the opposition, he rarely gives the ball away which is impressive in that role.

He never forces it and is happy to play the simple ball and then move to get back on it again.

He’s also a big goal threat as shown in the last 2 games, not often you see an attacking midfielder scoring a header like that today.

Him, JDH and Newell is a very exciting middle 3. All very comfortable on the ball and willing to do the dirty side too.

Do you think JR will go with them in games v the of?.

Inconsequential
08-08-2021, 09:57 PM
Do you think JR will go with them in games v the of?. Why not? The Old Firm have already lost matches to so called lesser opposition this season. Unleash the three midfield maestros against them without a doubt.:agree:

Crunchie
09-08-2021, 06:41 AM

It was never in doubt he'd be a top performer this year and some of the comments on him last season were embarrassing. There were lots of mitigating circumstances for his poor performances last season which you have pointed out and quite frankly should have been enough for everyone to cut him a break.
How often does the club hand out a 5 year contract to a new signing? He will go on to bigger and better things in the not too distant future just like SJM and for a lot more money.

GreenCastle
09-08-2021, 06:55 AM

I haven’t even thought about Irvine last few weeks. Shows how much we have missed him. I think he would play well with the current midfield but KM has more goals / assists in a shorter space of time.

We still have Hallberg also - not sure if he will stay or how long he will be missing ?!

Brightside
09-08-2021, 07:01 AM
I haven’t even thought about Irvine last few weeks. Shows how much we have missed him. I think he would play well with the current midfield but KM has more goals / assists in a shorter space of time.

We still have Hallberg also - not sure if he will stay or how long he will be missing ?!

Dislocated knee cap. So I’d have said 6 weeks at least.

AlbertK86
09-08-2021, 07:53 AM
Agree with all that’s been said above but the way he leads the high press has made a massive difference in games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibee_Craig7062
09-08-2021, 10:36 AM
The difference in him this season from last is night and day. For a variety of different reasons he didn't get going last year and I was worried he wouldn't ever get going. However he has won me round and very excited about him now. I grew up watching McGinlay in a Hibs shirt and he could be the closest thing we have had to him since.

Northernhibee
12-08-2021, 09:05 PM
Very nice finish tonight.

EdinburghHibern
12-08-2021, 09:33 PM
Great goal tonight but was at fault for their first goal by not tracking his man. If he can model his game on John McGinns engine and determination we will have a good player.

Unseen work
12-08-2021, 09:43 PM
Terrific goal and very McGinn like.

It’s his man for the first goal but wow it’s awful defending.

McGinn gives the winger 10 yards who puts in a half arsed cross with the outside of his boot from the touch line.

McGregor is miles off it positionally, he should be deeper and have a better body shape to volley that ball into the stand.

We were all over the place.

neil7908
12-08-2021, 09:45 PM
Him and Doyle-Hayes look great together. Been really impressed by both.

Smartie
Was it him at the post for the second goal as well?

I mean - great finish for our goal, really good.

But that has to be balanced with some very poor set piece deliveries, and if he played a role in both the first and second goals then...

Block
Magennis is a terrific player. Great engine, drive and scored a top class goal tonight. Highly impressive.

neil7908
12-08-2021, 09:47 PM
Was it him at the post for the second goal as well.

I mean - great finish, really good.

But that has to be balanced with some very poor set piece deliveries, and if he played a role in both the first and second goals then...

His set pieces have been very poor. I don't blame him for that, just wonder why he's being allowed to keep taking them. Newell can hit a decent inswinger with his left.

Wheat Hound
12-08-2021, 09:51 PM
What a superb goal tonight.

Him and JDH are significant positives in the fledgling season.

BegbieHSC
12-08-2021, 10:10 PM
Him and JDH’s performances deserved to make the play offs tonight. Shame their performance and determination couldn’t be replicated by some of the others.

Fantastic player we have here.

Northernhibee
15-08-2021, 02:51 PM
I absolutely love the boy this season. Like a second striker at times, love how he gets forward, can finish and can pick a pass.

JohnM1875
15-08-2021, 02:52 PM
He's been really really good! Four goals already from him.

Diclonius
15-08-2021, 06:31 PM
Hey look it's that goal scoring midfielder we ordered

hibbysam
15-08-2021, 06:32 PM

Glad those who had him down as a terrible signing will be eating humble pie. Outstanding footballer and seems to always end up in the right positions. Midfield three compliment each other so well.

calumhibee1
15-08-2021, 06:36 PM
Glad those who had him down as a terrible signing will be eating humble pie. Outstanding footballer and seems to always end up in the right positions. Midfield three compliment each other so well.

He’s been like a different player this season. Night and day from the performances of last season. Long may it continue :agree:

Pretty Boy
15-08-2021, 06:41 PM
I think if nothing else Magennis proves that people are quite willing to change their opinion on a player if their performance changes.

There were all sorts of reasons for his issues last season and some of the reaction was way OTT. He has been on fire this season though and the praise for him is close to universal. Long may it continue.

calumhibee1
15-08-2021, 07:00 PM
I think if nothing else Magennis proves that people are quite willing to change their opinion on a player if their performance changes.

There were all sorts of reasons for his issues last season and some of the reaction was way OTT. He has been on fire this season though and the praise for him is close to universal. Long may it continue.

Yup. I have no issues changing my opinion if someone warrants it.

He was really poor last season. Coming back from a serious injury may have contributed, but it was also a hugely convenient excuse for 20 odd below par performances regardless of the injury he’d previously had. I’m sure Kyle and JR would have expected so much more from him last year and a lot of the poor parts of his game couldn’t be put down much to his injury. His decision making was poor, his technique was poor and at times he looked like he wasn’t massively arsed.

He’s been a revelation this season though, so hopefully we won’t have to be discussing performances like last seasons again.

Hibbyradge
15-08-2021, 07:04 PM
Coming back from a serious injury may have contributed, but...

Post of the year!

hibbysam
15-08-2021, 07:06 PM

He was really poor last season. Coming back from a serious injury may have contributed, but it was also a hugely convenient excuse for 20 odd below par performances regardless of the injury he’d previously had. I’m sure Kyle and JR would have expected so much more from him last year and a lot of the poor parts of his game couldn’t be put down much to his injury. His decision making was poor, his technique was poor and at times he looked like he wasn’t massively arsed.

He’s been a revelation this season though, so hopefully we won’t have to be discussing performances like last seasons again.

The importance of a pre season eh.

jeffers
15-08-2021, 07:09 PM

All that’s true, but if you hadn’t seen him with St Mirren (which I hadn’t) then all you could judge him on were his performances last season where he was undoubtedly poor. I’m glad he’s looking like a great player now.

calumhibee1
15-08-2021, 07:10 PM

Again, that was a hugely convenient excuse for what was a load of poor performances imo.

He’d been in full training with St M before he got here, he’d played friendlies for them, played a good few competitive games in quick succession after he got here and was poor. It may have contributed, but as I said above, I would be stunned if JR and KM weren’t massively disappointed with his contribution last season regardless of whether he had a serious injury before or missed a pre season.

For all the talk of pre seasons and injuries, by any measure he was poor last season. This season he’d be one of the first names on the team sheet.

BILLYHIBS
15-08-2021, 07:11 PM
Beginning to look like the player we all hoped he was going to be

Realistically I don’t think any hibby expected to see any return from our investment until this season at the very earliest

Lang may his lum reek

:flag:

The Modfather
15-08-2021, 07:12 PM

Playing him centrally and not in a no mans land out left has also made a big difference.

I’ll be honest and say I didn’t see Magennis being anything like the revelation he has been this season. If he keeps up this level, and he might still not be the finished article yet, whenever he does move on he might well be talked about the same way as Super John.

hibbysam
15-08-2021, 07:13 PM
Again, that was a hugely convenient excuse for what was a load of poor performances imo.

He’d been in full training with St M before he got here, he’d played friendlies for them, played a good few competitive games in quick succession after he got here and was poor. It may have contributed, but as I said above, I would be stunned if JR and KM weren’t massively disappointed with his contribution last season regardless of whether he had a serious injury before or missed a pre season.

For all the talk of pre seasons and injuries, by any measure he was poor last season. This season he’d be one of the first names on the team sheet.

Great signing - one of our best in years.

calumhibee1
15-08-2021, 07:14 PM
Great signing - one of our best in years.

I certainly hope that’s the case.

hibbysam
15-08-2021, 07:14 PM
Playing him centrally and not in a no mans land out left has also made a big difference.

I’ll be honest and say I didn’t see Magennis being anything like the revelation he has been this season. If he keeps up this level, and he might still not be the finished article yet, whenever he does move on he might well be talked about the same way as Super John.

Absolutely but feel that was us just trying to get him game time while having a fairly settled central 3. Pre season is huge for a footballer and even more so a footballer coming back from a horrendous injury.

hibbysam
15-08-2021, 07:17 PM
I certainly hope that’s the case.

150 minutes away from the same game time as he had in the whole of last season for us. Perspective.

blackpoolhibs
15-08-2021, 07:19 PM
Anyone who knows anything about football knows a player coming back from that kind of injury will take time, and especially when they have had no pre season.

He's showing the doubters now with a rest and a full pre season, just what kind of player he is. :top marks

calumhibee1
15-08-2021, 07:20 PM
150 minutes away from the same game time as he had in the whole of last season for us. Perspective.

I’m not sure what that proves other than he’s performing better this season and deservedly getting minutes on the pitch.

He didn’t get all that many minutes last season because when he did was inevitably really poor. He was certainly available often enough to get a hell of a lot more and if he’d been performing like he is this season then he would have got a hell of a lot more.

hibbysam
15-08-2021, 07:22 PM
I’m not sure what that proves other than he’s performing better this season and deservedly getting minutes on the pitch.

That he was never fully fit and couldn’t get a sustained run of games. Those minutes came over 22 games or something, never enough time to make an impact. This year it’s over 7. So essentially 9 games for the same minutes - fitter and more minutes = more chance to make an impact. Was never ever going to be a terrible signing.

hibbysam
15-08-2021, 07:23 PM
Anyone who knows anything about football knows a player coming back from that kind of injury will take time, and especially when they have had no pre season.

He's showing the doubters now with a rest and a full pre season, just what kind of player he is. :top marks

Indeed.

calumhibee1
15-08-2021, 07:23 PM
That he was never fully fit and couldn’t get a sustained run of games. Those minutes came over 22 games or something, never enough time to make an impact. This year it’s over 7. So essentially 9 games for the same minutes - fitter and more minutes = more chance to make an impact. Was never ever going to be a terrible signing.

As I said above, he didn’t get all that many minutes last season because when he did was inevitably really poor. He was certainly available often enough to get a hell of a lot more and if he’d been performing like he is this season then he would have got a hell of a lot more.

hibbysam
15-08-2021, 07:26 PM
As I said above, he didn’t get all that many minutes last season because when he did was inevitably really poor. He was certainly available often enough to get a hell of a lot more and if he’d been performing like he is this season then he would have got a hell of a lot more.

And it’s invariably difficult to make an impact in games where you are playing so little, and even more difficult to get fully up to speed and match fit. Like I said at the time, he didn’t even have friendlies to play in to help. He did this year and it’s showing.

easty

I’m with you on this. Folk making excuses for what was looking like a poor signing. When he played last season he wasn’t good enough. Of course there were mitigating circumstances, but the performances were poor and that’s what you judge a player on. I don’t know how anyone can disagree with that.

I was critical of him, and of his signing, throughout last season, but I always said I wanted to see him get a run of games in his preferred position to see how he’d do. I don’t think anyone has to apologise, or “eat humble pie” here.

Delighted with how he’s done this season, looks a great player.

JimBHibees

Absolutely :aok:

coco22
15-08-2021, 07:27 PM

At last...a midfielder getting beyond the front 1 or 2 or 3 will continue to score goals. Great player and worth the investment of time and money. Delighted he's showing what he is all about now.

There have been previous comparisons with Pat McG - definitely see it in his play and drive to get forward. Playing in the best position for him is working but there are others who create and contribute to compliment his work too.

He'll be a big player for us for the next few years.

hibbysam
15-08-2021, 07:29 PM
It’s actually incredible that Hibs managed to get him for 5 years. One of the best bits of business our recruitment team have done.

jeffers
15-08-2021, 07:32 PM
I’m with you on this. Folk making excuses for what was looking like a poor signing. When he played last season he wasn’t good enough. Of course there were mitigating circumstances, but the performances were poor and that’s what you judge a player on. I don’t know how anyone can disagree with that.

I was critical of him, and of his signing, throughout last season, but I always said I wanted to see him get a run of games in his preferred position to see how he’d do. I don’t think anyone has to apologise, or “eat humble pie” here.

Agree with all of that.

Anyone coming on now saying he’d be a great signing certainly can’t have formed that opinion based on his performances last season. He was poor, there’s no getting away from that, even if there were very good mitigating circumstances.

calumhibee1
15-08-2021, 07:32 PM

Yup.

Messi has missed all of pre season this season. As has Harry Kane. As do thousands of players every year. It doesn’t mean that your season is a write off until the next pre season comes round.

JR started him in a Scottish Cup semi final against Hearts where he was abysmal. I find it hard to believe he wouldn’t have been expecting a hell of a lot more from him if he started him in that game and I find it hard to believe KM having put in the performances he is this season wouldn’t have been expecting a hell of a lot more from himself as well. I would be stunned if either of them were writing the season off last year for KM as some were on here and fully expect they would have been acknowledging that he needed to improve massively. This season he has improved beyond recognition and will be right up there for POTY and a Scotland call up if he keeps performing like he is.

wookie70
15-08-2021, 07:46 PM
I think he has been our best player so far. Even when he is being moved to the left he still looks good but no doubt the central attacking midfield role is his. The difference in energy when Allen replaced him was very noticeable. Perhaps Scottie will use Magennis as a sign that he could return from some very average appearances to become an important player again. I like Doyle Hayes too but Magennis is what we needed most and the amount of goals he is scoring is a real bonus, his finishing has been excellent

Northernhibee
15-08-2021, 07:48 PM
I think he has been our best player so far. Even when he is being moved to the left he still looks good but no doubt the central attacking midfield role is his. The difference in energy when Allen replaced him was very noticeable. Perhaps Scottie will use Magennis as a sign that he could return from some very average appearances to become an important player again. I like Doyle Hayes too but Magennis is what we needed most and the amount of goals he is scoring is a real bonus, his finishing has been excellent

Magennis, Doyle-Hayes and Newell is close to a perfect midfield trio. If any one of them get the ball in an attacking position or are further back on the pitch when the other team is countering you'd trust them to make a good decision and they can rotate pretty well too. Lots of energy, passing ability and already look as if they have a good understanding.

The_Sauz
15-08-2021, 07:50 PM
Yup.

Messi has missed all of pre season this season. As has Harry Kane. As do thousands of players every year. It doesn’t mean that your season is a write off until the next pre season comes round.

JR started him in a Scottish Cup semi final against Hearts where he was abysmal. I find it hard to believe he wouldn’t have been expecting a hell of a lot more from him if he started him in that game and I find it hard to believe KM having put in the performances he is this season wouldn’t have been expecting a hell of a lot more from himself as well. I would be stunned if either of them were writing the season off last year for KM as some were on here and fully expect they would have been acknowledging that he needed to improve massively. This season he has improved beyond recognition and will be right up there for POTY and a Scotland call up if he keeps performing like he is.
Have you ever played semi/pro football before?

hibbysam
15-08-2021, 07:51 PM
Magennis, Doyle-Hayes and Newell is close to a perfect midfield trio. If any one of them get the ball in an attacking position or are further back on the pitch when the other team is countering you'd trust them to make a good decision and they can rotate pretty well too. Lots of energy, passing ability and already look as if they have a good understanding.

Yeah not just hard working but so much ability both offensively and defensively between the three of them. Can keep it simple or drive us forward and try more difficult balls.

calumhibee1
15-08-2021, 07:54 PM
Have you ever played semi/pro football before?

Yes.

JimBHibees
15-08-2021, 07:58 PM
Yes.

So why don't you understand it will take any .player a bit of time to recover from an ACL and that getting a full preseason will help. :greengrin

The_Sauz
15-08-2021, 08:00 PM
Yes.
So you have had a real bad injury that has kept you out the game for months?

easty
15-08-2021, 08:01 PM
So why don't you understand it will take any .player a bit of time to recover from an ACL and that getting a full preseason will help. :greengrin

Is there a formula for working out when it’s a poor performance, or when a previous injury or being played out of position negates the lack of influence on a game?

calumhibee1
15-08-2021, 08:02 PM

Of course it will. A full season is a bit more than just a bit of time though. Missing a pre season or coming back from an injury a couple of games into a season doesn’t mean you’ll not be able to perform to a decent level until the next season. His performances varied from poor to extremely poor. I would say he has to take some responsibility for that and not hide behind missing pre season or an injury a year previous as an excuse but I very much doubt Kyle himself would have ever been doing that. He’ll have expected more of himself.

hibbysam
15-08-2021, 08:06 PM
Of course it will. Not a season though. Missing a pre season or coming back from an injury a couple of games into a season doesn’t mean you’ll not be able to perform to a decent level until the next season. His performances were poor. I would say he has to take some responsibility for that and not hide behind missing pre season or an injury a year previous as an excuse but I very much doubt Kyle himself would have ever been doing that.

We were fairly successful, we had a settled team, and his appearances were limited to cameo sub appearances and at that, were mostly out of position in the left wing. He started a few games but again, mostly out of position to accommodate. Also missed 3 fairy substantial periods during the season through injury and Covid that put him further back in the pecking order.

He wasn’t fit for the full season after his original injury, hence the need for a full rest and pre season to get over those niggles.

Northernhibee
15-08-2021, 08:07 PM
To get things back on track a little, I think this is why a five year deal is a wonderful bit of business from us. Even although it's taken a year to get him up to speed, we now have him tied down for four years with us. That either means four years of wonderful football or a big transfer fee if he outgrows us.

Either outcome is excellent for us.

calumhibee1
15-08-2021, 08:08 PM
To get things back on track a little, I think this is why a five year deal is a wonderful bit of business from us. Even although it's taken a year to get him up to speed, we now have him tied down for four years with us. That either means four years of wonderful football or a big transfer fee if he outgrows us.

Either outcome is excellent for us.

:agree:

If he continues playing like this then I’d be surprised if he is here for the remaining 4 years.

Smartie
15-08-2021, 08:11 PM
With him being a new signing none of us knew what to expect from Magennis when he signed. To be club captain at St Mirren so young would suggest he had something about him, but we also knew he was coming back from a bad injury.

In terms of what he offered us last season, we weren't really to know whether or not "that was it".

He was disappointing last year, but I don't know what's to be gained from dwelling on that, or even making that point. What is important is that this season he's absolutely on fire. A big negative from last season was that we were very reliant on a small number of people for goals - well here's a midfielder who knows how to get in about the goals regularly. There's also an awful lot more to him than just the goals.

Last season needs to be put firmly in the past and forgotten. The midfield looks much better this season, and the emergence of Magennis has been a huge part of that.

Time to enjoy the present and look forward to the future as far as Magennis is concerned.

calumhibee1
15-08-2021, 08:13 PM
With him being a new signing none of us knew what to expect from Magennis when he signed. To be club captain at St Mirren so young would suggest he had something about him, but we also knew he was coming back from a bad injury.

In terms of what he offered us last season, we weren't really to know whether or not "that was it".

He was disappointing last year, but I don't know what's to be gained from dwelling on that, or even making that point. What is important is that this season he's absolutely on fire. A big negative from last season was that we were very reliant on a small number of people for goals - well here's a midfielder who knows how to get in about the goals regularly. There's also an awful lot more to him than just the goals.

Last season needs to be put firmly in the past and forgotten. The midfield looks much better this season, and the emergence of Magennis has been a huge part of that.

Time to enjoy the present and look forward to the future as far as Magennis is concerned.

:agree:

Stonewall
15-08-2021, 08:17 PM

I take it you’ve not had an ACL reconstruction then.

easty
15-08-2021, 08:19 PM

Are we now saying you can’t judge a player unless you’ve had the same injury they have at some point? 😂😂

MWHIBBIES
15-08-2021, 08:20 PM
Could easily have been a mental thing with Kyle as well. Long injury, big move, no pre season, he had covid, playing out of position. That isn't easy mentally for a young man.

Been impressed with him so far. Looks fitter, quicker, getting himself involved, scoring goals.

JimBHibees
15-08-2021, 08:20 PM
Is there a formula for working out when it’s a poor performance, or when a previous injury or being played out of position negates the lack of influence on a game?

Was pretty clear he was still recovering from acl when he started picking up niggly injuries such as hamstring last season. He showed enough in his performances with St Mirren and fleetingly with us that he would be much better this season. A bit of patience was needed.

15-08-2021, 08:23 PM
Of course it will. Not a season though. Missing a pre season or coming back from an injury a couple of games into a season doesn’t mean you’ll not be able to perform to a decent level until the next season. His performances were poor. I would say he has to take some responsibility for that and not hide behind missing pre season or an injury a year previous as an excuse but I very much doubt Kyle himself would have ever been doing that.

You are doing Magennis a disservice with all the comments you've posted. Stating it was a convenient excuse for poor performances and having the cheek to say "Coming back from a serious injury may have contributed". Implying that injury was nothing to do with poor performances is insulting to him, you even said he looked like he wasn't massively ersed.

You've said you've changed your opinion of him, fair enough but you're trying to make out it wasn't because you were wrong about him last season, it was because he was a bad player then and he isn't now. Just admit you got it wrong.

hibbysam
15-08-2021, 08:24 PM
Could easily have been a mental thing with Kyle as well. Long injury, big move, no pre season, he had covid, playing out of position. That isn't easy mentally for a young man.

Had two other injuries as well. Each time probably had a run of 5/6 games between injuries. Would never have walked straight back into the side after missing a month, and coming off the bench for 20 minutes out of position having not played for ages is always a tough ask. Injury, recovery, up to speed repeat. Fire all that along with your points into a big bowl and it’s not a great outcome and why the reset button would be pressed this year.

calumhibee1
15-08-2021, 08:24 PM

Ah that’ll be it, I don’t share the specific set of circumstances Magennis has so now I can have no opinion whatsoever.

jeffers
15-08-2021, 08:26 PM
This thread is degenerating into a bit of I told you so that he was a great player, when in fact all we had to go on were his performances last season, which surely everyone can admit were poor. It’s great that he’s performing well this season, but I’m with Calum in that I don’t think either he or Jack Ross expected him to be a write off last season. If it was he’d surely have been put out on loan.

I’m willing to admit I thought he was a poor signing. This season he’s started really well and looks like a player.

Stonewall
15-08-2021, 08:27 PM
Are we now saying you can’t judge a player unless you’ve had the same injury they have at some point? 😂😂

I think you know fine that’s not what I’m saying.

For your information it’s a really painful injury and a long, long rehab. There’s no guarantees as to the timeframe of the rehab and don’t underestimate the psychological aspect of the rehab.

i was disappointed in him last year too but I did kind of understand it.

easty
15-08-2021, 08:27 PM
You are doing Magennis a disservice with all the comments you've posted. Stating it was a convenient excuse for poor performances and having the cheek to say "Coming back from a serious injury may have contributed". Implying that injury was nothing to do with poor performances is insulting to him, you even said he looked like he wasn't massively ersed.

You've said you've changed your opinion of him, fair enough but you're trying to make out it wasn't because you were wrong about him last season, it was because he was a bad player then and he isn't now. Just admit you got it wrong.

There’s a massive difference between saying someone’s playing badly and saying someone’s a bad player.

calumhibee1
15-08-2021, 08:28 PM

His performances last season were varying degrees of poor which is what I’ve constantly said. If you believe that isn’t the case then that’s absolutely fine, I don’t believe that is wrong in the slightest though.

When I’ve said it’s a convenient excuse I’m not doing any disservice to Magennis as I’ve repeatedly said I don’t believe he would have been using the excuse that others were using for him. He would almost certainly have expected more of himself. JR would also have expected a hell of a lot more from him or you can guarantee he wouldn’t have been starting him at Hampden against Hearts for example.

Anyway, as I said he’s been a revelation this season and Smartie is right in that it serves no purpose to go over old ground regarding his performances last season when he’s doing so well now so im out of the discussion on his performances last season.

Crunchie
15-08-2021, 08:30 PM
We were fairly successful, we had a settled team, and his appearances were limited to cameo sub appearances and at that, were mostly out of position in the left wing. He started a few games but again, mostly out of position to accommodate. Also missed 3 fairy substantial periods during the season through injury and Covid that put him further back in the pecking order.

He wasn’t fit for the full season after his original injury, hence the need for a full rest and pre season to get over those niggles.
Pretty much spot on and I think the majority of us all realise there were numerous mitigating circumstances for his poor performances.
We didn't give him a 5 year deal without doing our homework, the boy was always going to come good anyone with any footballing knowledge knew that, the only question now is how good.

hibbysam
15-08-2021, 08:30 PM
This thread is degenerating into a bit of I told you so that he was a great player, when in fact all we had to go on were his performances last season, which surely everyone can admit were poor. It’s great that he’s performing well this season, but I’m with Calum in that I don’t think either he or Jack Ross expected him to be a write off last season. If it was he’d surely have been put out on loan.

I’m willing to admit I thought he was a poor signing. This season he’s started really well and looks like a player.

Not when at every opportunity whenever someone dared to mention that he would be a different player this season we had it rammed that he was a poor signing.

They wouldn’t have planned it to be a write off, but they would have hoped he would stay injury free. Two month long injuries and 3 weeks out due to Covid all at different stages completely broke up his season, meaning it was impossible for him to build fitness and momentum, and his limited opportunities were at left midfield.

Ps he did play football prior to signing for Hibs.

Crunchie
15-08-2021, 08:32 PM

We had his form with St Mirren to go on and us giving him a 5 year deal, that was enough for me to know his poor performances last year wouldn't continue.

wookie70
15-08-2021, 08:34 PM
Anyway, as I said he’s been a revelation this season and Smartie is right in that it serves no purpose to go over old ground regarding his performances last season when he’s doing so well now so im out of the discussion on his performances last season.

No point looking back anyway it's gone. He started the season well and looks to be getting better and stronger with each game. Very easy to see why he was a captain so young. His drive and energy are fantastic and albeit a different player to SJM I can see lots of similarities in attitude and his will to win. What do they feed youngsters in Paisley

calumhibee1
15-08-2021, 08:36 PM
No point looking back anyway it's gone. He started the season well and looks to be getting better and stronger with each game. Very easy to see why he was a captain so young. His drive and energy are fantastic and albeit a different player to SJM I can see lots of similarities in attitude and his will to win. What do they feed youngsters in Paisley

Agree :agree:

Magennis and JDH have seen our midfield improve hugely last season.

Thank **** we never got Irvine as he’d be nowhere near the team now I don’t think.

B.H.F.C
I actually thought he was quite poor today. What I like about him, though, is that he absolutely breaks his neck to get in to the box when we attack.

He’s had a really good start to the season, hope he can keep it going.

bingo70
If he keeps up this form it surely won’t be long until he’s included in a Scotland squad.

That should be a real target for him this season I think.

calumhibee1
15-08-2021, 08:37 PM
If he keeps up this form it surely won’t be long until he’s included in a Scotland squad.

That should be a real target for him this season I think.

Without having seen much of Celtic last couple of weeks he should be aiming to take Turnbulls spot off him on current form.

I’d fancy JDH to be an ROI cap by the end of the season as well.

jeffers
15-08-2021, 08:39 PM
Not when at every opportunity whenever someone dared to mention that he would be a different player this season we had it rammed that he was a poor signing.

They wouldn’t have planned it to be a write off, but they would have hoped he would stay injury free. Two month long injuries and 3 weeks out due to Covid all at different stages completely broke up his season, meaning it was impossible for him to build fitness and momentum, and his limited opportunities were at left midfield.

Ps he did play football prior to signing for Hibs.

Last season he looked like a poor signing. I agree there were good reasons why that was the case, but it’s still valid. Noone knew he would be the player he’s looking like now, they hoped that would be the case. I don’t recall anyone saying he’d never be a good player for us.

Brightside
15-08-2021, 08:42 PM

He wasn’t poor tho. He just wasn’t fit enough and he was played out of position. Playing in a central 3 with 2 others who can pass the ball is the major difference. We’ve won a watch with him and Barrels.

Smartie
15-08-2021, 08:42 PM

Thank **** we never got Irvine as he’d be nowhere near the team now I don’t think.

I'd be dangling a 5 year contract in front of JDH already.

He's been a revelation so far, and looks like a player to me. This isn't a honeymoon period or a flash in the pan - he's just very good.

Biggest plus so far this season has been the centre of midfield - it'll be interesting to see how they get on when they come up against the Old Firm, Aberdeen and Hearts though. And, I guess, whether they can make a better fist of creating against stuffy old St Johnstone.

I think that part of the team looks better than it has done at any point since McGinn and McGeouch left and I have confidence in them being able to keep that level up against the best teams.

We do have other issues though...

bigwheel
15-08-2021, 08:43 PM
Last season he looked like a poor signing. I agree there were good reasons why that was the case, but it’s still valid. Noone knew he would be the player he’s looking like now, they hoped that would be the case. I don’t recall anyone saying he’d never be a good player for us.

Jack Ross did ..He knew what ability he was bringing ….another reason to trust his judgement imo

hibbysam
15-08-2021, 08:45 PM

You don’t become a bad signing in the first 6 injury ravaged months of a 5 year deal. That’s just silly and the point that kept getting casted up. People were genuinely wanting his wage spent elsewhere on our team.

There were plenty doubting whether he would ever be a good player for us.

easty
15-08-2021, 08:48 PM
He wasn’t poor tho. He just wasn’t fit enough and he was played out of position. Playing in a central 3 with 2 others who can pass the ball is the major difference. We’ve won a watch with him and Barrels.

I disagree. Almost every time I saw him last season I thought he'd played *****.

jeffers
15-08-2021, 08:50 PM
You don’t become a bad signing in the first 6 injury ravaged months of a 5 year deal. That’s just silly and the point that kept getting casted up. People were genuinely wanting his wage spent elsewhere on our team.

There were plenty doubting whether he would ever be a good player for us.

He had a really bad injury, it’s not without the realms of possibility that he’d never get back to his previous levels. Doesn’t matter how you cut it, he didn’t have a good season last season and did look like a bad signing. I’d never seen him with St Mirren, all I had to go on were his performances last season with us.

hibbysam
15-08-2021, 08:52 PM
He had a really bad injury, it’s not without the realms of possibility that he’d never get back to his previous levels. Doesn’t matter how you cut it, he didn’t have a good season last season and did look like a bad signing. I’d never seen him with St Mirren, all I had to go on were his performances last season with us.

That’s your prerogative, plenty did see him for st mirren and based their opinions on that, on Ross’ assessment, on opinions from others who had seen plenty of him. Telling us we couldn’t tell he’d be a good signing when he turns out to be class is strange to say the least.

Iggy Pope
15-08-2021, 08:55 PM

Is this another in the know thing?. :tee hee:Barrels. C’mon fill us in.....

The Modfather
15-08-2021, 09:00 PM

Irvine didn’t have a pre season last season… :devil:

jeffers
That’s your prerogative, plenty did see him for st mirren and based their opinions on that, on Ross’ assessment, on opinions from others who had seen plenty of him. Telling us we couldn’t tell he’d be a good signing when he turns out to be class is strange to say the least.

I can only speak for myself (and can’t remember what everyone else said) but I base a player on what he does at Hibs not what he’s done elsewhere. My point is nobody knew he’d be a good signing, they hoped he would be based on past performances. There is a difference.

calumhibee1
Irvine didn’t have a pre season last season… :devil:

:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
15-08-2021, 09:08 PM
I wonder why he's a different player now he's rested, playing in his proper position and had a full pre season. :greengrin

B.H.F.C
15-08-2021, 09:23 PM
I wonder why he's a different player now he's rested, playing in his proper position and had a full pre season. :greengrin

Read loads about playing his proper position. I don’t necessarily disagree, I wondered why he wasn’t playing centrally last year, but he played loads of his football for St Mirren wide.

hibbysam
15-08-2021, 09:28 PM
Read loads about playing his proper position. I don’t necessarily disagree, I wondered why he wasn’t playing centrally last year, but he played loads of his football for St Mirren wide.

Think it was just a position we could fire him into in his short spells in the side. We generally played 2 in midfield (Newell and Gogic) then three when Irvine signed. Murphy missed a fair whack so it seemed easy to put him there but it was clear he wasn’t comfortable.

Centre Hawf
15-08-2021, 09:29 PM
People had every right to question Kyle and the club for signing him in the Spring time, he was poor when he played and his appearances were beginning to become infrequent. I have huge sympathy for the injury and I know how hard it must be to come back from it especially when there was no reserve football to help get him back up to speed in a more relaxed environment. I think most people knew that he needed a pre season before we could fully write him off but he was 100 percent one of the question marks on our squad going into the new season and he's answered all his critics in sublime fashion.

I was one of the critics as well by the way. Well done to everyone involved in making this deal happen because it has absolutely paid off.

15-08-2021, 09:33 PM
His performances last season were varying degrees of poor which is what I’ve constantly said. If you believe that isn’t the case then that’s absolutely fine, I don’t believe that is wrong in the slightest though.

When I’ve said it’s a convenient excuse I’m not doing any disservice to Magennis as I’ve repeatedly said I don’t believe he would have been using the excuse that others were using for him. He would almost certainly have expected more of himself. JR would also have expected a hell of a lot more from him or you can guarantee he wouldn’t have been starting him at Hampden against Hearts for example.

Okay, fair enough. Perhaps I have done you a disservice and for that I apologise. I agree, Magennis may have been disappointed himself with how last season went and had hoped for more but I think the reasons for it are clear and have been covered at length on here. I think what we have seen from him already this season is strong proof of what was said by many on here about last season being part of his rehabilitation and how he'd come good with a full preseason behind him. Fair enough we disagree on this point, you think it was a convenient excuse for people to use, I think it has been proven to be a very accurate explanation.

If I've misinterpreted some of what you are saying then again I apologise but some of your posts were harshly worded in parts, IMO.

I get annoyed when people (not necessarily you) make quick judgements on players and that's their mind made up and they then go looking for faults and seem to almost take delight in highlighting them. They'd almost rather the player failed than become a success so they can then say later on that they called it from the start. The worst bit is that some of the negative opinions will be fueled by undercover Jambos and other non-Hibs fans (though I'm sure we do the same to them) and then Hibs fans start to turn against the player before they had a fair crack of the whip. I'm not saying we can't be critical of players but sometimes people need to tone it down.

One thing we can agree on is how good Magennis has been this season and long may it continue. 👍 🙂

tamig
15-08-2021, 09:34 PM
I can only speak for myself (and can’t remember what everyone else said) but I base a player on what he does at Hibs not what he’s done elsewhere. My point is nobody knew he’d be a good signing, they hoped he would be based on past performances. There is a difference.

I think many of us appreciated the boy had come back from a long term injury, hadn’t played any football for a lengthy period, was very highly rated in Scottish football and was played out of positions in the games he played for us. Many of us also expected to see a different player this season with a full pre-season behind him. We were patient. Its not untypical of this place that there were quite a few others writing him off based on what they saw. Just ignorance as far as I’m concerned though.

Iain G
15-08-2021, 09:35 PM

Double barrelled surname maybe? 🤷

calumhibee1
15-08-2021, 09:40 PM
Okay, fair enough. Perhaps I have done you a disservice and for that I apologise. I agree, Magennis may have been disappointed himself with how last season went and had hoped for more but I think the reasons for it are clear and have been covered at length on here. I think what we have seen from him already this season is strong proof of what was said by many on here about last season being part of his rehabilitation and how he'd come good with a full preseason behind him. Fair enough we disagree on this point, you think it was a convenient excuse for people to use, I think it has been proven to be a very accurate explanation.

If I've misinterpreted some of what you are saying then again I apologise but some of your posts were harshly worded in parts, IMO.

I get annoyed when people (not necessarily you) make quick judgements on players and that's their mind made up and they then go looking for faults and seem to almost take delight in highlighting them. They'd almost rather the player failed than become a success so they can then say later on that they called it from the start. The worst bit is that some of the negative opinions will be fueled by undercover Jambos and other non-Hibs fans (though I'm sure we do the same to them) and then Hibs fans start to turn against the player before they had a fair crack of the whip. I'm not saying we can't be critical of players but sometimes people need to tone it down.

One thing we can agree on is how good Magennis has been this season and long may it continue. 👍 🙂

:aok:

15-08-2021, 09:44 PM
There’s a massive difference between saying someone’s playing badly and saying someone’s a bad player.

That is true. However, imo, some of calumhibee1's posts were overly harsh. He seemed to me to be implying Magennis's poor performances were not related to his injury and people were just making excuses for him. I interpreted it as suggesting last season people were saying that Magennis was a better player than he actually was. I accept than might not have been calumhibee1's intention but that was how it came across to me.

15-08-2021, 09:55 PM

For you are the mitigating circumstances he was coming back from serious injury (which takes time) or just because he wasn't given a run of games in his preferred position?

Andy74
15-08-2021, 10:15 PM

Come on now, people were telling you exactly why he hadn’t been as good as he could have been. You knew all that and were adamant he was a poor signing. Not just in poor form or unfit but a poor signing.

Selkirkhibs
15-08-2021, 10:20 PM
It seemed obvious to me that until Kyle had fully recovered from his injury that we wouldn't see the best of him and be able to judge his ability until then. This season is proving he is a huge talent and should go on to be a Scotland cap sooner rather than later. Now looks a great player.

easty
15-08-2021, 10:34 PM
For you are the mitigating circumstances he was coming back from serious injury (which takes time) or just because he wasn't given a run of games in his preferred position?

Both.

I’ve never said that the injury wasn’t a serious one, but he wouldn’t have been picked to play if the manager and the coaches/physios thought he wasn’t ready. I think the way Scott Allan has been managed shows that.

He’s never a wide player. That’s clear as day. He never looked comfortable wide left. Games passed him by as it didn’t look like he knew how to be effective playing there.

Brightside
16-08-2021, 05:56 AM

JDH. Double barrelled name. I’m sticking to it.

Allant1981
16-08-2021, 06:28 AM
Yes.

Interesting as i dont think many posters on here have, who did you play for?

green day
16-08-2021, 07:02 AM
Outside of the obvious - that he is a smashing player - the biggest plus is the addition of goals from midfield.

He has 4 so far this season.

Taking Mallan out of the equation (he got a few in the early stages), none of our midfielders scored more than a single goal in the 40 odd matches last season.

We have been missing this for years - kudos to the recruitment team and JR for this addition...........5 years !!

p.s. to add to others thoughts, JDH is obviously a player as well, an extended contract would be excellent.

jacomo
16-08-2021, 07:17 AM
Outside of the obvious - that he is a smashing player - the biggest plus is the addition of goals from midfield.

Taking Mallan out of the equation (he got a few in the early stages), none of our midfielders scored more than a single goal in the 40 odd matches last season.

We have been missing this for years - kudos to the recruitment team and JR for this addition...........5 years !!

p.s. to add to others thoughts, JDH is obviously a player as well, an extended contract would be excellent.

Goals from midfield has been an issue for us for ages.

Scotty can provide goals and assists but has had his own fitness issues.

Stevie Mallan provided goals (especially in his first season) but other aspects of his game were lacking.

Kyle doesn’t hit the ball as sweetly as those two but brings energy and desire to get into the opposition box, and it’s working a treat just now.

hibbysam
16-08-2021, 07:20 AM

Allan got double figures 2 years ago, Mallan double figures the year before that.

green day
16-08-2021, 07:27 AM
Allan got double figures 2 years ago, Mallan double figures the year before that.

Yes to be fair you are right about them.

Allan is of course a star, I really hope he gets back to full effectiveness.

I always thought of Mallan as a wee bit of a luxury player and contributed little outside of the odd amazing free kick against crap teams (unfair I know).

KM is more of a proper midfielder with lots of good attributes.......including goals.

hibbysam
16-08-2021, 07:30 AM
Yes to be fair you are right about them.

Allan is of course a star, I really hope he gets back to full effectiveness.

I always thought of Mallan as a wee bit of a luxury player and contributed little outside of the odd amazing free kick against crap teams (unfair I know).

KM is more of a proper midfielder with lots of good attributes.......including goals.

Definitely, agree with all that.

Dashing Bob S
16-08-2021, 07:39 AM
Friend who is big St Mirren fan reckons he’ll be our best signing.

green day
16-08-2021, 07:52 AM
Friend who is big St Mirren fan reckons he’ll be our best signing.

Thats a big statement given the likes of SJM, but lets hope so.

I know its become a bit of a "thing" that we sign loads from St Mirren, but that club is definitely doing something right in development of younger players (and targeting from other clubs if JDH is an example).

Seems they have hit on a really good model (similar to Hamiltons) to get lots of finance into the club on a rolling basis.

Tyler Durden
16-08-2021, 07:56 AM

I’m delighted with the start Magennis has made and it’s brilliant to have another player contribute so much. But this “goals from midfield” thing is a bit of a red herring in terms of any net benefit to the team.

Last year we played 4-4-2 a lot and had the 2 forwards scoring regularly and Boyle contribute from wide. This season we’ve favoured 4-2–3-1. Again we have the 2 most advanced central players scoring regularly - this year being Magennis and one other. Plus Boyle from wide.

So whilst it’s great for Magennis to get amongst the goals, it's not really any different for the teams fortunes overall. Different if we had a player scoring from a central role in a 4-4-2. Or Murphy started scoring at similar rates to Boyle for example.

CraigHibee
16-08-2021, 08:07 AM
Very happy with magennis so far, had injury issues last season but looks to be a fantastic player and he's contributed very well so far. Great signing imo

wookie70
16-08-2021, 08:17 AM
I’m delighted with the start Magennis has made and it’s brilliant to have another player contribute so much. But this “goals from midfield” thing is a bit of a red herring in terms of any net benefit to the team.

Last year we played 4-4-2 a lot and had the 2 forwards scoring regularly and Boyle contribute from wide. This season we’ve favoured 4-2–3-1. Again we have the 2 most advanced central players scoring regularly - this year being Magennis and one other. Plus Boyle from wide.

So whilst it’s great for Magennis to get amongst the goals, it's not really any different for the teams fortunes overall. Different if we had a player scoring from a central role in a 4-4-2. Or Murphy started scoring at similar rates to Boyle for example.

It is a fair point but ultimately it will boil down to how many goals we score in total. Last year we scored an average of 1.26 goals a game in the league. Looking much healthier at 3 a game for the first two games and long may that continue. To me we look like we have more threat going forward and Magennis is doing a great job of getting into the box when it counts

Mr. Wonderful
16-08-2021, 08:22 AM

We played 3-5-2 a lot as well and there were multiple games which we needed a goal from somewhere other than those 3 or from nothing to get back in the game or get a result.

Mr. Wonderful
16-08-2021, 08:24 AM

We played 3-5-2 a lot as well and there were multiple games in which we needed goals from somewhere other than those 3 or a goal from nothing to get back in the game or turn a draw into a win. Jack Ross mentioned it being an issue we needed to address at the last AGM too.

We've played 3 cms most of last season, absolutely no reason why one of them shouldn't be scoring and taking pressure off the 3 forwards at times.

Dashing Bob S
16-08-2021, 09:33 AM
Thats a big statement given the likes of SJM, but lets hope so.

I know its become a bit of a "thing" that we sign loads from St Mirren, but that club is definitely doing something right in development of younger players (and targeting from other clubs if JDH is an example).

Seems they have hit on a really good model (similar to Hamiltons) to get lots of finance into the club on a rolling basis.

Yes his only real caveat was the bad injury but he seems to have shaken that off and got to full fitness and is developing exponentially as a player.

We’re in a sweet spot with regards to clubs like St Mirren now, as the OF are involved in this irrelevant race for first place they will go for seasoned average overseas players not really good enough for England/Europe at a high level, rather than develop exciting talent. Players like Nisbet and Doig etc (and their agents) know that bigger money and better deals exist down the line for talented players who get game time. We’re big enough to be able to poach players from other clubs and enlightened enough to know that we won’t be able to keep them beyond a few years but can sell them on and repeat

hibbysam
16-08-2021, 02:06 PM

I made that point last year, it doesn’t matter where goals come from as long as they do. We had three players with outstanding tally’s along with another load scoring 1/2 each. Only real benefit is if those three score similar again but Magennis then chips in with his own 10 or so. If he simply replaces Doidge’s goals then we will be in the same situation as before.

Northernhibee
16-08-2021, 02:20 PM
I made that point last year, it doesn’t matter where goals come from as long as they do. We had three players with outstanding tally’s along with another load scoring 1/2 each. Only real benefit is if those three score similar again but Magennis then chips in with his own 10 or so. If he simply replaces Doidge’s goals then we will be in the same situation as before.

Thing is, if he replaces Doidge’s goals then his injury isn’t as much of a disaster. Last season we’d end up losing a lot of points if he’d been out for a few months, this season isn’t as bad.

hibbysam
16-08-2021, 04:50 PM
Thing is, if he replaces Doidge’s goals then his injury isn’t as much of a disaster. Last season we’d end up losing a lot of points if he’d been out for a few months, this season isn’t as bad.

Absolutely. The point was more comparative to last year when people were crying out for goals from midfield. To me, our top 3’scoring 50 between them negated that need somewhat due to the sheer volume of goals they scored. If we can add to our goals tally then superb, if not then where the goals come from are irrelevant in my mind.

Greenbeard
13-01-2022, 01:20 PM
Back on the training pitch today and looking very lean and fit - assuming that is a current photo on Hibs twitter and not one from the archives.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FI6daGRXsAAGZiA?format=jpg&name=small

Since452
13-01-2022, 01:34 PM
Back on the training pitch today and looking very lean and fit - assuming that is a current photo on Hibs twitter and not one from the archives.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FI6daGRXsAAGZiA?format=jpg&name=small

Kyle Magennis is the best on earth

Hibiza
13-01-2022, 02:43 PM
Kyle is class.

Greenbeard
13-01-2022, 02:52 PM
Thank you Mr and Mrs Magennis for the last two posts. Hope your lad is back in the team soon.

Hibiza
13-01-2022, 03:05 PM
Thank you Mr and Mrs Magennis for the last two posts. Hope your lad is back in the team soon.
😂

loanheadhibby
13-01-2022, 06:03 PM
Kyle is class.
Not sitting in the stand he's not.

13-01-2022, 06:36 PM
Not sitting in the stand he's not.

Is that agreement or disagreement? 😀

Skol
13-01-2022, 06:39 PM
This is very good news

Hibbyradge
13-01-2022, 06:50 PM
Is that agreement or disagreement? 😀

It's the only possible way to put a negative slant on positive news.