PDA

View Full Version : Moving into the final year of their contract

1875Sean
19-07-2021, 12:29 AM
Read an article of Doidge there and it mention about him entering into his last 12 months and made me think he else in the squad is due up next summer, not sure if it’s 100% but from what I can see the below are entering their final year, this is what I think

Christian Doidge - We all know he can go hot and cold at periods in a season but overall what he contributes to the team and goals return I would give him another year or 2.
Jamie Murphy - Jamie has the talent but it will depend on injuries, if he get a good 6 months I would give him another year however if it’s like last season I would let him leave, no doubt a high earner
Scott Allan - Big season for scotty, can see him take on Irvines role in the team, a run in the team will see the old scotty back, would give him another 2 year deal
Melker Hallberg - good squad player but I don’t think he will ever break in the team and will leave, won’t be surprised if he goes in this window
Alex Gogic - 1/2 year deal
Paul Hanlon - great servant, would want another cb like McCart in challenging for his place but would give another 2 years
Paul McGinn - (Option for a further year) take the option to extend now
Lewis Stevenson - another year for cover at leftback
Drey Wright - can’t see him break into the team, would let him leave
Jamie Gullan - 22 now, no only a youngster as such, can’t see him making it at Hibs and will go
Sean Mackie - same as Gullan, think he should go and try and progress his career
Tom James - will go, possible this window

Thoughts?

MWHIBBIES
19-07-2021, 04:02 AM
Desperately need to renew Doidge.

J-C
19-07-2021, 05:23 AM
Mackie's injuries are a worry for me, last season in particular, are the injuries recurring or new each time but has missed a lot of development. I had high hopes for Gullan but maybe like Shaw he's destined for lower premier/championship team, been with the senior squad a fair bit now and hasn't forced his way in yet, decent on loan but not prolific.

wookie70
19-07-2021, 07:13 AM
Quite a few there I would let go

Of the older players I would definitely keep Doidge, Hanlon, Gogic and McGinn. Time will tell if Mackie and Gullan will get enough game time and impress enough to see if they need to step down a level or if they will make it with Hibs. Lewis should be kept at the club and if we keep Doig or buy another left back expected to play every week then Lewis could well be worth a year's contract as back up. Allan needs to show, this season, he can play regularly and get decent amounts of minutes per game time. Defensively he is poor but he has shown he can score from midfield as well as his role as a creator. Those goals could make up for his defensive frailties and also compensate for his lack of consistency. Murphy is similar to Scottie and needs to keep fit and chip in goals to make up for his defensive weakness. Both might be worth a year depending on how they do this year. I like Hallberg but he won't improve now and hasn't been able to show he is a regular first 11 player. James won't feature again and Wright needs a complete turnaround from last year where he was poor.

Billy Whizz
19-07-2021, 07:17 AM
Doidge saying today he wants to extend his contract

04Sauzee
19-07-2021, 07:23 AM
Josh Campbell is also in his last year I believe.

Thought he looked decent against Arsenal and Raith when he came on. Don't think he's going to be around Hibs next season but at 21 he needs to play football at a decent level.

GreenCastle
19-07-2021, 07:30 AM
Good to hear Doidge saying he wants to stay and loves the city etc.

Hopefully this isn’t him trying to increase wages and ask for an unrealistic new deal.

Definitely keep Doidge though.

Gogic keep - will continue to get better.

Pretty much agree with the rest - few faces need to prove what they are getting paid - quite a few are 50/50 right now.

Someone like Mackie will be difficult as he’s injured and by the time he gets back - fit again and tries to get into the team he will be up against it.

NORTHERNHIBBY
19-07-2021, 09:37 AM
I would let Wright, Gullan. Mackie, James and Hallberg go right now if they can find new clubs.

1875Sean
19-07-2021, 12:16 PM
Steven Bradley Also has 12 months left, would imagine as he is involved with the first team and 19 would do no harm in giving him another year or 2 especially if we look to put him on loan this season

hibbydog
19-07-2021, 12:18 PM
I would let Wright, Gullan. Mackie, James and Hallberg go right now if they can find new clubs.

Yep. All of them ain’t going to be regular starters any time soon.

I don’t want squad players hanging around who contribute very little. We should be signing better than we have. Let the numbers be boosted with younger players

expresso
19-07-2021, 12:51 PM
Defence will never improve with Hanlon there nice guy but we need better and tougher

ian cruise
19-07-2021, 02:15 PM
I'd like to give Gullan 6 months in the first team and let's see if he can step up. He's been in the development squads and out ob loan but (to the best of my knowledge) never spent a prolonged period with the first team. Not saying he should start ahead of Doidge and Nisbet but let's see if he can force his way in and prove some of the doubters wrong. It's not like he's on a massive wage right now.

1875Sean
19-07-2021, 02:49 PM
I'd like to give Gullan 6 months in the first team and let's see if he can step up. He's been in the development squads and out ob loan but (to the best of my knowledge) never spent a prolonged period with the first team. Not saying he should start ahead of Doidge and Nisbet but let's see if he can force his way in and prove some of the doubters wrong. It's not like he's on a massive wage right now.

I think we are after another striker and centre half, can’t see him playing much time, if Nisbet or Doidge are not fit then Boyle or Murphy and a new striker would cover, I would also hope we can see the likes of Laidlaw/O’Connor start to get involved in the first team more this season, I’d let Gullan go

MWHIBBIES
19-07-2021, 03:00 PM
Defence will never improve with Hanlon there nice guy but we need better and tougher

Doesn't stand up to any facts at all. 3rd best defence in the league with him leading it. He's plenty tough with the abuse he's taken. Great footballer too. Will obviously continue as a starter after a very good season.

Our defence has improved significantly since Ross arrived, that's a fact, it definitely can improve with him in it.

Aldo
19-07-2021, 03:17 PM

3rd best defence in league last season tells a different story. That is FACT!

From your list I would suggest that Hanlon will be your scapegoat this year??

Wee question for you though. Who would you replace him with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldbutdim
19-07-2021, 03:21 PM
Doesn't stand up to any facts at all. 3rd best defence in the league with him leading it. He's plenty tough with the abuse he's taken. Great footballer too. Will obviously continue as a starter after a very good season.

Our defence has improved significantly since Ross arrived, that's a fact, it definitely can improve with him in it.

I'm sure I saw a 'stats page' online which showed that Paul was one of our best performers, but can't remember where............ anyone help me out?

SChibs
19-07-2021, 03:35 PM
I'm sure I saw a 'stats page' online which showed that Paul was one of our best performers, but can't remember where............ anyone help me out?

I seen the same list. Statistically our best defender last season and very high up on the list for the entire league. He's not a cb that will make amazing last ditch tackles or the no nonsense physical type. He doesn't need to be as he wins most of his battle, positions himself well and his distribution is consistently decent.

Fergus52
19-07-2021, 03:42 PM

He was in the 'who scored' team of the season, who assign each player an average rating based on different metrics for each position. The only non old firm player who made it aside from oddofin.

oldbutdim
19-07-2021, 03:42 PM
I seen the same list. Statistically our best defender last season and very high up on the list for the entire league. He's not a cb that will make amazing last ditch tackles or the no nonsense physical type. He doesn't need to be as he wins most of his battle, positions himself well and his distribution is consistently decent.

Sounds like the very one.

Any idea where I could find it........... would be very helpful in chats with one or two who seem to have a real dislike of Paul, and jump on his every mistake (of which there have been one or two I concede) whilst refusing to acknowledge any positive aspects of his play.

jeffers
19-07-2021, 04:05 PM
I suppose as fans we all have players we like more than others, but never understand the criticism Paul Hanlon receives. I think he’s an excellent player for us. Yes he makes the odd mistake, but what centre back is faultless ?

JimBHibees
19-07-2021, 04:19 PM

Easier said than done. Paul has been an excellent servant to the club

hibsbollah
19-07-2021, 04:24 PM
Tom James?

I had totally forgotten he was still a Hibs player. Giving him a 3 year contract was one of our more questionable decisions.

B.H.F.C
19-07-2021, 04:35 PM
I suppose as fans we all have players we like more than others, but never understand the criticism Paul Hanlon receives. I think he’s an excellent player for us. Yes he makes the odd mistake, but what centre back is faultless ?

Been critical of him in the past but I really don’t understand it based on last season. He was our best centre half by a distance for me.

Fergus52
19-07-2021, 04:52 PM
Sounds like the very one.

Any idea where I could find it........... would be very helpful in chats with one or two who seem to have a real dislike of Paul, and jump on his every mistake (of which there have been one or two I concede) whilst refusing to acknowledge any positive aspects of his play.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page on this link you can view a seasonal best XI:

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/253/Tournaments/20/Seasons/8191/Stages/18606/Show/Scotland-Premiership-2020-2021

They also have tables for individual player stats, but you can't filter out to view only centre backs for example, so they aren't the easiest to use to directly compare players.

SChibs
19-07-2021, 05:01 PM
If you scroll down to the bottom of the page on this link you can view a seasonal best XI:

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/253/Tournaments/20/Seasons/8191/Stages/18606/Show/Scotland-Premiership-2020-2021

They also have tables for individual player stats, but you can't filter out to view only centre backs for example, so they aren't the easiest to use to directly compare players.

Someone will no doubt question the reliability of that if shane Duffy is in the top 10. Fwiw Duffy was fairly good for 95% of games last season but other other 5% was catastrophic and lead to goals being conceded through bad mistakes.

jeffers
19-07-2021, 05:02 PM
Tom James?

I had totally forgotten he was still a Hibs player. Giving him a 3 year contract was one of our more questionable decisions.

Giving him a contract at all never mind paying a fee was an incredible decision. I’m amazed anyone ever looked at him and thought he was the answer. Never seen a defender stand off attackers as much as he did.

Speedy
19-07-2021, 06:32 PM
Been critical of him in the past but I really don’t understand it based on last season. He was our best centre half by a distance for me.

Made a huge mistake against Raith and Arsenal. Keeps doing that and he'll be criticised.

Let's hope he's got them out the way in the friendlies.

expresso
19-07-2021, 07:31 PM
3rd best defence in league last season tells a different story. That is FACT!

From your list I would suggest that Hanlon will be your scapegoat this year??

Wee question for you though. Who would you replace him with?

Must have imagined all his aberrations then.
He’s always likely to make a crucial mistakes.
Either of the 2 SJ lads would be an improvement

expresso
19-07-2021, 07:33 PM

By distribution do you mean his aimless hoofs?

MWHIBBIES
19-07-2021, 07:37 PM
You did, yes.

No. I mean his good distribution. I'd hate to heard what you think of McGregor and Porteous if Hanlon does aimless hoofs.

bigwheel
19-07-2021, 07:38 PM

Of the things you could have tried to pull Hanlon up on, you crash and burn by trying to have a go at his passing. Having a shocker here….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aldo
19-07-2021, 07:55 PM

All defenders make mistake in fact all players make mistakes yet it easy to pick in those mistakes but no praise for the good work week in week out and then over the season!

I’ll disagree. They are part of a defensive unit. No one player makes a team.

So if we signed McCart then you reckon that Hanlon would/should be dropped??

Just seen you mention passing etc what about his touch and pass to Scotty Allan for his goal against Hearts and the most important goal of all…. The equaliser the year we won the Scottish Cup??? 2 crucial mistakes eh

expresso
19-07-2021, 08:16 PM

oldbutdim
20-07-2021, 09:56 AM

Thank you.

It's not the one I saw before, but it's very helpful.

Cheers
:aok:

Juniper Greens
20-07-2021, 11:38 AM
I find it odd people single out Hanlon. Id sooner cash in on Porto and replace him. Hanlon had a great season last year, as his first scotland cap showed. Porto made some mistakes in big big games and I worry that he got into the scotland squad, then later call ups got game time ahead of him. Makes me wonder slightly about his big game mentality

Allez Hibs
20-07-2021, 11:40 AM

100%

Time to move on from Hanlon and Lewy.

cabbageandribs1875
20-07-2021, 12:21 PM
100%

our newly announced club captain, show some respect

MWHIBBIES
20-07-2021, 12:23 PM
100%

Club captain won't be moved on after a great season.

superfurryhibby
20-07-2021, 12:44 PM
I sincerely hope that Hanlon and Stevenson see out their careers at Hibs. Both have served us well in the past and continue to do so. People forget that it's a squad game and whether they are first picks or stepping up, we know they can be relied upon.

I'd love Doidge to sign up for a longer term. He's an important part of the team and has done very well overall. He's be hard to replace.

Like others on here, I'd be happy to see the likes of |Gullan, Mackie, Wright, Hallberg move on and us use the money to bring in some new faces.