PDA

View Full Version : Joseph Henry Baker

Iggy Pope
17-07-2021, 05:05 PM
The greatest ever Englishman would’ve been 81 today.
Surprised it’s not been mentioned as he’s a popular avatar with a few it seems :greengrin

Happy Birthday dear Joe

https://i.ibb.co/X8Gn5Vk/EC3664-BC-D01-F-474-D-89-E0-B0-D3-C98-E1-B6-A.jpg (https://ibb.co/fvT3NQG)

bythecringe
17-07-2021, 05:13 PM
Surprised it’s not been mentioned as he’s a popular avatar with a few it seems :greengrin

Happy Birthday dear Joe

https://i.ibb.co/X8Gn5Vk/EC3664-BC-D01-F-474-D-89-E0-B0-D3-C98-E1-B6-A.jpg (https://ibb.co/fvT3NQG)
Thanks for the memories Joe. Happy birthday and it was a privilege to have watched you play.

h1bs4life
17-07-2021, 05:20 PM
Only seen him when he returned but heard about him from others.
Hands of Hibs rally at Easter Road can still see him going down on his knees to kiss the hallowed turf.
Legend

CMurdoch
17-07-2021, 05:23 PM

Happy Birthday dear Joe

I must have seen him play for Hibs in his 2nd period with the club but sadly can't remember it.
Should really look out my programmes for that season to check it out.
Should still be with us standing side by side with Pat Stanton.
Happy Birthday Joe.

brog
17-07-2021, 07:18 PM
My all time hero. A great player & a true gentleman!

iwasthere1972
17-07-2021, 07:39 PM
Happy Birthday Joe.

Too young to have seen him the first time round but was in the shed when he scored against Aberdeen on his return. Bobby Clark in goal for the dons.

Liam978
17-07-2021, 07:48 PM

Phenomenal goal scoring record Brian, to think that the powers that be on the SFA committee at the time deemed him only good enough for a Scottish league cap.

ACLeith
17-07-2021, 07:55 PM
Phenomenal goal scoring record Brian, to think that the powers that be on the SFA committee at the time deemed him only good enough for a Scottish league cap.

He was born in England, in those days you could only play for the land of your birth. The first player from a non-English league to play for them. His brother Gerry played for USA

Iggy Pope
17-07-2021, 08:00 PM
He was born in England, in those days you could only play for the land of your birth. The first player from a non-English league to play for them. His brother Gerry played for USA

I was discussing this on Tuesday night. Has any player apart from Joe ever debuted for England whilst playing for his debut club up here?

Jim44
17-07-2021, 08:05 PM
Best centre forward we ever had IMHO, although Lawrie Reilly with the famous five connection tends to be the popular choice.

WhileTheChief..
17-07-2021, 08:10 PM
Met him once and said hello. Pretty much my only Hibs claims to fame.

One of my dad’s fav ever players.

joebakerforever
17-07-2021, 08:10 PM
Had the privilege to watch Joe when he first appeared at Easter Road and you could tell right away he was something special.

I've seen all the Hibs greats since then, but imo he is still the best of them all.

The Harp
17-07-2021, 08:11 PM
Well done Iggy for the reminder of Jo's birthday. For those of us who were fortunate enough to watch him in his prime, he was an outstanding player and a lovely man by all accounts.
For me, he's right up there with another Hibs legend, Pat Stanton.
Thanks for the memories Joe.

JimBHibees
17-07-2021, 08:14 PM
Hands of Hibs rally at Easter Road can still see him going down on his knees to kiss the hallowed turf.
Legend

One of my most emotional Hibs supporting memories.

joebakerforever
17-07-2021, 08:22 PM
Had the privilege to watch Joe when he first appeared at Easter Road and you could tell right away he was something special.

I've seen all the Hibs greats since then, but imo he is still the best of them all.

MWHIBBIES
17-07-2021, 08:25 PM
I was discussing this on Tuesday night. Has any player apart from Joe ever debuted for England whilst playing for his debut club up here?

Don't think so. Only Owen Hardgreaves and Jadon Sancho have also played for England without every playing in England.

Iggy Pope
17-07-2021, 09:14 PM
Don't think so. Only Owen Hardgreaves and Jadon Sancho have also played for England without every playing in England.

I was unsure if a Hun had snuck in during the Souness years but was pretty certain that Joe could have been the only home grown Scottish League player to have achieved this.
There was a story, that probably came from him, that his taxi driver wouldn’t believe him when he picked him up at Kings Cross.

Lago
17-07-2021, 09:34 PM
2nd that

17-07-2021, 11:25 PM
2nd that
I had the privilege of watching the famous five in their latter years and probably didn’t appreciate quite what I was watching but for me Joe was the best of them all. Still remember being at Tynecastle and watched him score all 4 in a 4 - 3 victory in a Scottish cup tie in 1958. Was also there for the 7 - 0 in 1973 but Joe’s performance in 58 left the biggest impression on me.

stu in nottingham
17-07-2021, 11:50 PM
Saw 'King Joe' lots of times at the City Ground for Forest as a kid after he had signed for them from Arsenal. He was amazing as Forest had a run at a league and cup double around 1966-7. So quick and fiesty and what a great and instintive finisher. Remember he said to a friend who also hero worshipped him that he couldn't understand what the fuss was about. His job was being paid to score scoals and that's what he tried to do.

Practically all the songs were about Joe and he was, quite rightly, absolutely worshipped in Nottingham. Still a great hero and an absolute legend for many here.

https://stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2007/09/03/joe-and-me/

gbhibby
18-07-2021, 12:08 AM
My father played against Joe when he was farmed out to the Juniors.
He scored 5 past my dad and he could have scored more. He was the quickest player my dad had seen and made goal scoring look easy. My dad was delighted to find out a few years later that he was his second cousin and forgave him for putting 5 goals past him.
Saw him in his second spell at Hibs wish I could have seen him in his first spell.

Lancs Harp
18-07-2021, 12:10 AM
Saw 'King Joe' lots of times at the City Ground for Forest as a kid after he had signed for them from Arsenal. He was amazing as Forest had a run at a league and cup double around 1966-7. So quick and fiesty and what a great and instintive finisher. Remember he said to a friend who also hero worshipped him that he couldn't understand what the fuss was about. His job was being paid to score scoals and that's what he tried to do.

Practically all the songs were about Joe and he was, quite rightly, absolutely worshipped in Nottingham. Still a great hero and an absolute legend for many here.

https://stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2007/09/03/joe-and-me/

Moving. thanks for posting Stu.

Dr What If?
18-07-2021, 12:13 AM
Legend
I was about 12 that day and was there.....turned to my mate asking 'who's that?', seeing an old man running about and kissing the pitch. An old boy behind us gave me what could only be called a right tickling off for no knowing such a legend. Oh to see such players play for Hibs today.

lord bunberry
18-07-2021, 12:59 AM
I was too young to see joe play but I was there when he spoke at the rally. Such an emotional day and he topped it all when took the mic and dropped to his kneees. ****in legend.

greenlad
18-07-2021, 05:07 AM
I was unsure if a Hun had snuck in during the Souness years but was pretty certain that Joe could have been the only home grown Scottish League player to have achieved this.
There was a story, that probably came from him, that his taxi driver wouldn’t believe him when he picked him up at Kings Cross.

Baker certainly the only homegrown Scottish League player to have their England debut while playing in Scotland, although this was later done by Mark Walters, Alan Thompson and Fraser Forster.

Baker mentions it himself in one of the Hibs books, he hailed a cab and asked to go to the England training camp wherever it was. The taxi driver was alarmed due to Baker's accent, and assuming Baker was some sort of Scots crackpot intent on doing harm, he radioed for police assistance!

BILLYHIBS
18-07-2021, 05:37 AM
Never saw him play the first time at HIBS but grew up listening to my late Dad telling me about this great goalscorer with electric pace and a predatory goal scoring instinct

Imagine as a 17 year old scoring four goals at Tiny against strong favourites Hearts in a Scottish Cup Third Round match in a 4-3 win ?

I was fortunate enough to witness his second debut against a very good Aberdeen side at a packed Easter Road

He was maybe a yard short in pace but still a very good football player scoring the second goal in a 2-1 win and looking every inch the superstar complete with sixties quiff, sideburns and who could forget those white football boots ?

Things were not to work out at Easter Road for Joe as the Aberdeen Manager that day Eddie Turnbull moved in and built a new side Turnbull’s Tornadoes

The most telling stat for me is that in the twilight of his career he moved to Raith Rovers and scored 34 goals in 49 appearances

A true HIBS legend a superstar and a player rightly revered at every club he played for

A humble guy he could never understand the adulation he was only doing what he was paid to do score goals

Happy Birthday Joe

RIP

bigwheel
18-07-2021, 05:54 AM
Saw him second time around…I recall the excitement of his return. Stories from my Dad got me so thrilled to see him. Scored on his return against Aberdeen. Was past his best by then though. That said was still held in full legend status.

Here’s a well written obituary on him..worth a read..

https://www.scotsman.com/news/obituaries/joe-baker-2469242

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

adam middlemass
18-07-2021, 06:45 AM
Happy Birthday Joe.

Too young to have seen him the first time round but was in the shed when he scored against Aberdeen on his return. Bobby Clark in goal for the dons.
Yes, I remember getting the train through from Hawick that night myself, great memories, just wish i’d seen him in his first stint with the Hibs, a true legend. :agree::not worth

JimBHibees
18-07-2021, 07:03 AM
Saw him second time around…I recall the excitement of his return. Stories from my Dad got me so thrilled to see him. Scored on his return against Aberdeen. Was past his best by then though. That said was still held in full legend status.

Here’s a well written obituary on him..worth a read..

https://www.scotsman.com/news/obituaries/joe-baker-2469242

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is a brilliant read. Torino asking him back after 40 years when they won promotion even though he only played one season for them probably sums up how good a player he was and the regard he was held.

JimBHibees
18-07-2021, 07:06 AM
Never saw him play the first time at HIBS but grew up listening to my late Dad telling me about this great goalscorer with electric pace and a predatory goal scoring instinct

Imagine as a 17 year old scoring four goals at Tiny against strong favourites Hearts in a Scottish Cup Third Round match in a 4-3 win ?

I was fortunate enough to witness his second debut against a very good Aberdeen side at a packed Easter Road

He was maybe a yard short in pace but still a very good football player scoring the second goal in a 2-1 win and looking every inch the superstar complete with sixties quiff, sideburns and who could forget those white football boots ?

Things were not to work out at Easter Road for Joe as the Aberdeen Manager that day Eddie Turnbull moved in and built a new side Turnbull’s Tornadoes

The most telling stat for me is that in the twilight of his career he moved to Raith Rovers and scored 34 goals in 49 appearances

A true HIBS legend a superstar and a player rightly revered at every club he played for

A humble guy he could never understand the adulation he was only doing what he was paid to do score goals

Happy Birthday Joe

RIP

Yep was at that Aberdeen game also brilliant game and atmosphere. Think Aberdeen had gone loads of games without losing a goal until Pat scored with Joe scoring the second.

brog
18-07-2021, 10:08 AM
I had the privilege of watching the famous five in their latter years and probably didn’t appreciate quite what I was watching but for me Joe was the best of them all. Still remember being at Tynecastle and watched him score all 4 in a 4 - 3 victory in a Scottish cup tie in 1958. Was also there for the 7 - 0 in 1973 but Joe’s performance in 58 left the biggest impression on me.

To put this in perspective, Hearts won the league by 10 points that season, it would have been 20 points under current rules.
Hearts lost 1 league game all season and had a goal difference of 99!! Seriously!
Hearts conceded 11 home league goals all season, Joe scored 4 in 90 minutes.
Joe was 17!!

Just phenomenal!

chinny baxter
18-07-2021, 03:02 PM
To put this in perspective, Hearts won the league by 10 points that season, it would have been 20 points under current rules.
Hearts lost 1 league game all season and had a goal difference of 99!! Seriously!
Hearts conceded 11 home league goals all season, Joe scored 4 in 90 minutes.
Joe was 17!!

Just phenomenal!

We also beat them 4 2 at Tynie that same season on the opening of their floodlights.Joe scored that night too,but was outshone by Tam Preston who got three.That was first time I ever saw Hibs in a floodlit game away from home.

stu in nottingham
18-07-2021, 05:23 PM
So many stories about Joe. A friend of mine was involved in a horrific accident in the mid-1960s when he was a youngster and lost a leg. Joe came to the General Hospital and visited him, bringing him a signed football annual as a gift. That book stayed with Mick all his life and a year or two before Joe passed he came back to Nottingham for a welcome back to the City Ground where he was feted. Hearing that Joe was going to be meeting friends at the tiny Falcon Inn in the city centre he set out to see his old hero thirty-five years later. He took that same annual along and got it signed once more and related the story back to him. Joe apologised profusely to him and said that he had visited many sick children in the city at the time and couldn't remember the story. My pal told him he'd been his great hero with Joe saying he could never understand why he was held in such high esteem. He also said that he'd loved his time in Nottingham and it had been the happiest time in his career.

Joe was always known as an extremely modest, kind and polite man wherever he went. He left people with only good memories.

A memory for me is the nights walking across Trent Bridge for an evenng game and seeing the City Ground lights in the distance, knowing that 'Zigger Zagger' as he was called here was going to be on that pitch. Even as a kid it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. When he ranout there would always be a huge roar and you knew you were witnessing a superstar, he just had that aura about him and it was hard to take your eyes off him.

On the pitch his forward partner, big Frank Wignall, would flick the ball down to him on the half way line and Joe would run straight at the defence, causing panic with his incredibly pace. He had a great shot in either foot and was brilliant in the air for not the biggest centre-forward. I remember he was the first player I had ever seen score with a scissor-kick when the ball came to him directly from a corner kick, against Burnley.

He was also renowned for being a tough little bugger as well. After being floored once by Liverpool's mountainous centre-half, Ron Yates, Joe, half his size, got up and decked him before walking straight off the pitch without even looking back at the ref. The below video also shows Joe giving supposed 'hard man' Norman Hunter a bit of his own medicine with a big left-hander which came from somewhere around his ankles!

To the tune of Molly Malone
'In Nottingham's fair city where the girls are so pretty,
I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone
As she wheeled her wheelbarrow
Through streets broad and narrow
Crying JOE jOE jOE BAKER!'

To the tune of Grocer Jack: Excerpt from a Teenage Opera
'Joe Baker, Joe Baker
Is it true what Trent End sing, you are our King'

https://youtu.be/c9yeZV1i9MM?t=669

Ian St.John, Joe Baker and Ronnie Rees

https://i2-prod.liverpoolecho.co.uk/incoming/article10608852.ece/ALTERNATES/s1227b/MPP_LEC_161215_Snow_11.jpg

brog
18-07-2021, 06:20 PM
So many stories about Joe. A friend of mine was involved in a horrific accident in the mid-1960s when he was a youngster and lost a leg. Joe came to the General Hospital and visited him, bringing him a signed football annual as a gift. That book stayed with Mick all his life and a year or two before Joe passed he came back to Nottingham for a welcome back to the City Ground where he was feted. Hearing that Joe was going to be meeting friends at the tiny Falcon Inn in the city centre he set out to see his old hero thirty-five years later. He took that same annual along and got it signed once more and related the story back to him. Joe apologised profusely to him and said that he had visited many sick children in the city at the time and couldn't remember the story. My pal told him he'd been his great hero with Joe saying he could never understand why he was held in such high esteem. He also said that he'd loved his time in Nottingham and it had been the happiest time in his career.

Joe was always known as an extremely modest, kind and polite man wherever he went. He left people with only good memories.

A memory for me is the nights walking across Trent Bridge for an evenng game and seeing the City Ground lights in the distance, knowing that 'Zigger Zagger' as he was called here was going to be on that pitch. Even as a kid it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. When he ranout there would always be a huge roar and you knew you were witnessing a superstar, he just had that aura about him and it was hard to take your eyes off him.

On the pitch his forward partner, big Frank Wignall, would flick the ball down to him on the half way line and Joe would run straight at the defence, causing panic with his incredibly pace. He had a great shot in either foot and was brilliant in the air for not the biggest centre-forward. I remember he was the first player I had ever seen score with a scissor-kick when the ball came to him directly from a corner kick, against Burnley.

He was also renowned for being a tough little bugger as well. After being floored once by Liverpool's mountainous centre-half, Ron Yates, Joe, half his size, got up and decked him before walking straight off the pitch without even looking back at the ref. The below video also shows Joe giving supposed 'hard man' Norman Hunter a bit of his own medicine with a big left-hander which came from somewhere around his ankles!

'Joe Baker, Joe Baker

https://i2-prod.liverpoolecho.co.uk/incoming/article10608852.ece/ALTERNATES/s1227b/MPP_LEC_161215_Snow_11.jpg

Great post Stu. Yes Joe was fearless. His 2nd game back was less happy than his glorious return as he was sent off for decking Gordon McQueen at Love St!

BILLYHIBS
18-07-2021, 06:43 PM
I actually attended Joe Baker’s last game for HIBS on 15/4/1972 a Scottish Cup Semi Final at Hampden Park versus Rangers on a piping hot day in front of 76000 fans

Hibs were too tense and nervous on the day and trailed 0-1 at half-time thanks to an Alex MacDonald goal and had not done themselves justice at all

Following an Eddie Turnbull half-time pep talk HIBS came out the traps flying

The Girvan Lighthouse ( Peter McCloy) struggled to get down to block a fierce drive from Joe Baker and wee Jimmy O’Rourke gleefully fired home the rebound into the empty pokey to take the game to a replay

Joe was the unused Sub his place taken by John Hazel as HIBS easily stamped their authority over Rangers to win the replay 2-0 and secure their place in the 1972 Scottish Cup Final thanks to goals from Stanton and Edwards

I don’t think a HIBS Supporters Bus arrived back in Edinburgh with their windows intact that night

Another year of pain

Iggy Pope
18-07-2021, 06:46 PM
I actually attended Joe Baker’s last game for HIBS on 15/4/1972 a Scottish Cup Semi Final at Hampden Park on a piping hot day in front of 76000 fans

Hibs were too tense and nervous on the day and trailed 0-1 at half-time thanks to an Alex MacDonald goal and had not done themselves justice at all

The Girvan Lighthouse ( Peter McCloy) struggled to get down to block a fierce drive from Joe Baker and wee Jimmy O’Rourke gleefully fired home the rebound into the empty pokey to take the game to a replay

Joe was the unused Sub his place taken by John Hazel as HIBS easily stamped their authority over Rangers to win the replay 2-0 and secure their place in the 1972 Scottish Cup Final thanks to goals from Stanton and Edwards

I don’t think a HIBS Supporters Bus arrived back in Edinburgh with their windows intact that night

Another year of pain

I have a framed photo of that Stanton drive.

ancient hibee
18-07-2021, 06:47 PM

'Joe Baker, Joe Baker

Lovely video. I remember when Forest came to ER for a friendly (finished 2-2 I think) two or three kids ran on at the beginning to get Joe's autograph-probably sent by their dads,didn't know him of course but John McNamee kindly took them over to him!
A brilliant player and as he was the first real star in my age group we considered him even greater. A huge mistake by Harry Swan to sell him so early and showed he was losing his financial grip.

BILLYHIBS
18-07-2021, 06:54 PM
I have a framed photo of that Stanton drive.

Did it no take a wicked deflection off that other ‘Lighthouse’ the silver fox Colin Jackson?

John Hazel played well that night IIRC

Iggy Pope
18-07-2021, 06:55 PM
Did it no take a wicked deflection off that other ‘Lighthouse’ the silver fox Colin Jackson?

John Hazel played well that night IIRC

Colin Jackson is in the pic putting a despairing leg out !

BILLYHIBS
18-07-2021, 06:57 PM
Colin Jackson is in the pic putting a despairing leg out !
I rest my case :greengrin

ancient hibee
18-07-2021, 06:58 PM
I actually attended Joe Baker’s last game for HIBS on 15/4/1972 a Scottish Cup Semi Final at Hampden Park on a piping hot day in front of 76000 fans

Another year of pain

Was it Mckinnon who spent the night kicking Joe?

Iggy Pope
18-07-2021, 07:03 PM
I rest my case :greengrin

Me too

https://i.ibb.co/hZjTYBg/46-C1-DC15-D357-4-ACF-9-C19-0240-DBC80-E04.jpg (https://ibb.co/RBmJj3g)

Iggy Pope
18-07-2021, 07:06 PM
https://i.ibb.co/8P5FdqJ/72-C20-BAA-95-AA-4779-A8-CD-D2024-CCBA34-E.jpg (https://ibb.co/6DP61z2)

At the Gunners

BILLYHIBS
18-07-2021, 07:07 PM
Was it Mckinnon who spent the night kicking Joe?

That was 1971 the 0-0 ‘ Rangers are rubbish’ game

Another year of pain

Iggy Pope
18-07-2021, 07:11 PM
On the Bridge of Doom

https://i.ibb.co/d5r3TRk/DF9-B4427-B3-E7-46-BB-90-B6-13-D6693-E8-A5-A.jpg (https://ibb.co/hmyn6S2)

Iggy Pope
18-07-2021, 07:14 PM
2nd home debut scoring the winner v Aberdeen.
I got a right crack in my 8 year old nut when my big cousin threw me in the air at this point!

https://i.ibb.co/48NWKX7/1866-BEE1-CC8-D-4-CE4-8-FE3-9810052-D558-E.jpg (https://ibb.co/fk0Mqy2)

hibsbollah
18-07-2021, 07:17 PM

'Joe Baker, Joe Baker

Post of the year, post of all time?
Loving it :top marks

gbhibby
18-07-2021, 08:12 PM
Joe would have been a player from the past who would have been able to play now. What would he be worth with a goalscoring record like his.

Leithenhibby
19-07-2021, 10:12 AM

Happy Birthday dear Joe

I'm fortunate enough to have a photo taken with him at his appreciation dinner... and it's a black and white belter.�� Joe was such a legend and hero to so so many, myself included.
������

leith lynx
19-07-2021, 02:02 PM
2nd home debut scoring the winner v Aberdeen.
I got a right crack in my 8 year old nut when my big cousin threw me in the air at this point!

https://i.ibb.co/48NWKX7/1866-BEE1-CC8-D-4-CE4-8-FE3-9810052-D558-E.jpg (https://ibb.co/fk0Mqy2)
Thanks for that, what a great afternoon that was, that anticipation leading up to the game, Pat's great goal, breaking Bobby Clark long shut out sequence, and Joe's white boots and diving header to top it off! Great memories, thank you Joe, always remembered.

JimBHibees
19-07-2021, 03:00 PM
I'm fortune enough to have a photo taken with him at his appreciation dinner... and it's a black and white belter.😀 Joe was such a legend and hero to so so many, myself included.
💚💚👌

Are you able to scan and share it? Sounds a great photo

brog
19-07-2021, 03:56 PM
I'm sure I've posted this before but one last Joe story from me. In january 1998 Joe was London Hibs guest of honour at our Burns Night. We took Joe to Arsenal, who did Joe proud with seats in the Directors' box & a double page feature on Joe in the programme. After the game Joe went missing. I went looking for him in the corridors of Highbury, opened a door & was confronted by Aresne Wenger. When I explained I was looking for Joe Baker he said, Joe, what a great guy! He said he thought Joe was in the boot room with Pat Rice & gave me directions. Brilliantly he asked me not to tell Pat he had directed me, " because Pat thinks I don't know about the boot room"!! True enough Joe was there with Pat Rice & John Barnwell while Arsenal apprentices plied them with beer & sandwiches. I had a great 10/15 minutes with them when a phone rang. An apprentice picked it up, handed it to Pat & pointed up to indicate it was someone important upstairs. Pat took the phone & said, "look would you please f*** off, I'm talking to a legend!" Absolute classic & just shows the esteem Joe was held in by everyone.

bigwheel
19-07-2021, 04:00 PM
I'm sure I've posted this before but one last Joe story from me. In january 1998 Joe was London Hibs guest of honour at our Burns Night. We took Joe to Arsenal, who did Joe proud with seats in the Directors' box & a double page feature on Joe in the programme. After the game Joe went missing. I went looking for him in the corridors of Highbury, opened a door & was confronted by Aresne Wenger. When I explained I was looking for Joe Baker he said, Joe, what a great guy! He said he thought Joe was in the boot room with Pat Rice & gave me directions. Brilliantly he asked me not to tell Pat he had directed me, " because Pat thinks I don't know about the boot room"!! True enough Joe was there with Pat Rice & John Barnwell while Arsenal apprentices plied them with beer & sandwiches. I had a great 10/15 minutes with them when a phone rang. An apprentice picked it up, handed it to Pat & pointed up to indicate it was someone important upstairs. Pat took the phone & said, "look would you please f*** off, I'm talking to a legend!" Absolute classic & just shows the esteem Joe was held in by everyone.

Great story. Thanks for sharing ….

BSEJVT
19-07-2021, 04:11 PM
Like other posters on this thread before me, I was there at Joe's comeback game against Aberdeen

I remember the excitement at his return being palpable and he was coolness (at the time) personified with his sideburns and white boots which I still remember 50 years later

My dad and his pals who had lived through the Famous Five era were very excited at his return and the roar when he scored the second:greengrin

His is a Roy of the Rovers story to top them all.

stu in nottingham
19-07-2021, 04:27 PM
Always liked this unusual shot. Gerry Hitchens, John Charles, Denis Law and Joe Baker. I think it's taken at Lesser Hampden with these four playing for the Italian League against the Scottish League or similar.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dk-7ojeW0AADGAy?format=jpg&name=medium

BILLYHIBS
19-07-2021, 04:53 PM
16/1/1971 Scottish First Division

Hibernian 2 v 1 Aberdeen

Stanton 64
Baker 68

Match Report

https://theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2014/02/hibernian-2-1-aberdeen-16-january-1971/

Hibs Baines Brownlie Jones Blackley Black Stanton Duncan O’Rourke Baker Hamilton and Davidson

Sub Blair for Davidson

Att 23402

Leithenhibby
19-07-2021, 10:11 PM
16/1/1971 Scottish First Division

Hibernian 2 v 1 Aberdeen

Stanton 64
Baker 68

Match Report

https://theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2014/02/hibernian-2-1-aberdeen-16-january-1971/

Hibs Baines Brownlie Jones Blackley Black Stanton Duncan O’Rourke Baker Hamilton and Davidson

Sub Blair for Davidson

Att 23402

Love it.💚👌
This was my first game at ER as a young boy, still got the squad poster that my late Dad got me prior to ko.

Right at the front in the North Enclosure.
Glory Glory....

One Day
20-07-2021, 07:13 AM
On the Bridge of Doom

https://i.ibb.co/d5r3TRk/DF9-B4427-B3-E7-46-BB-90-B6-13-D6693-E8-A5-A.jpg (https://ibb.co/hmyn6S2)

Great photo

Radium
21-07-2021, 09:17 PM
My dad came from a Hearts family but a rebellious streak and Joe Baker turned him into a Hibby. He used to go to both grounds but the 14 year old saw Baker and his decision was made.

Not a decision we have regretted but the Bauld/ Baker arguments with my nana, his mother-in-law, were always a bit fiesty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leithenhibby
21-07-2021, 10:04 PM

Not a problem whatsoever...:wink:

Also got an Arsenal v Man Utd programme with an article on Joe, will hunt them both out and post...

stu in nottingham
22-07-2021, 06:03 PM
It’s 1967, I’ve recently been in an accident as a kid with a Ford Consult hitting me and smashing both legs in several places. Laid up at home with plaster casts from toe to top of thigh. Nottingham Forest’s terrific and tenacious midfielder Henry Newton, who went on to play for Everton, who was seeing my older sister’s friend, hearing about this offered to come to the house to visit this youngster in a bit of a state. Kind man.

Henry took my autograph book away and passed it around the Forest dressing room to the array of stars in there and brought it back to our family home, along with a Christmas tree for the family. I was dumfounded at this star sitting talking to me and encouraging me. Guess who the star number nine was in that side too? King Joe Baker of the Trent End, world-class centre-forward, formerly of Hibernian, Torino and Arsenal.

https://stuartfrew.files.wordpress.com/2021/07/capture-1.jpg?w=912 (https://stuartfrew.files.wordpress.com/2021/07/capture-1.jpg)

I was completely overwhelmed by those visits. Bonus points for any of the older ones that can recognise any of other signatures there that finished runners-up to the great Manchester United team of Best, Law and Charlton…

https://stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2021/07/22/henry-newton-and-king-joe-baker/

BILLYHIBS
22-07-2021, 06:28 PM
It’s 1967, I’ve recently been in an accident as a kid with a Ford Consult hitting me and smashing both legs in several places. Laid up at home with plaster casts from toe to top of thigh. Nottingham Forest’s terrific and tenacious midfielder Henry Newton, who went on to play for Everton, who was seeing my older sister’s friend, hearing about this offered to come to the house to visit this youngster in a bit of a state. Kind man.

Henry took my autograph book away and passed it around the Forest dressing room to the array of stars in there and brought it back to our family home, along with a Christmas tree for the family. I was dumfounded at this star sitting talking to me and encouraging me. Guess who the star number nine was in that side too? King Joe Baker of the Trent End, world-class centre-forward, formerly of Hibernian, Torino and Arsenal.

https://stuartfrew.files.wordpress.com/2021/07/capture-1.jpg?w=912 (https://stuartfrew.files.wordpress.com/2021/07/capture-1.jpg)

I was completely overwhelmed by those visits. Bonus points for any of the older ones that can recognise any of other signatures there that finished runners-up to the great Manchester United team of Best, Law and Charlton…

Ian Storey Moore next to Super Joe ?

CropleyWasGod
22-07-2021, 07:35 PM

Johnny Carey?

loanheadhibby
22-07-2021, 08:41 PM
Best centre forward we ever had IMHO, although Lawrie Reilly with the famous five connection tends to be the popular choice.

Tommy Preston said Joe was great but Reilly was better.
Just his opinion but played with both.

brog
23-07-2021, 10:08 AM
Tommy Preston said Joe was great but Reilly was better.
Just his opinion but played with both.

I had similar conversations with Tommy, another great man. After a few drinks he conceded that his judgement may have been influenced by the fact that Lawrie was his hero when he (Tommy) broke into the team but Tommy was a senior professional when Joe broke through. We agreed to just celebrate the fact that 2 of the greatest strikers in Scottish football history played for and supported our club!
:flag:

stu in nottingham
23-07-2021, 10:46 AM
Ian Storey Moore next to Super Joe ?

Johnny Carey?

Both correct. Ian Storey-Moore was a brilliant left-winger who could play all across the forward line. Eventually transferred to Manchester United.

Johnny Carey was a great manager for Forest. He spent most of his playing career at Manchester United and was an Irish international. An old school pipe-smoking manager!

Leithenhibby
24-07-2021, 02:07 PM

Here you go, taken at Pat Stanton's appreciation dinner, early 90's?:confused:... Another legend of our wonderful football club.

Leithenhibby
24-07-2021, 02:13 PM
https://i.ibb.co/8P5FdqJ/72-C20-BAA-95-AA-4779-A8-CD-D2024-CCBA34-E.jpg (https://ibb.co/6DP61z2)

At the Gunners

He also had a better goals ratio than Theirry Henry, I believe while at the Gunners. :cb

brog
24-07-2021, 02:15 PM
Here you go, taken at Pat Stanton's appreciation dinner, early 90's?:confused:... Another legend of our wonderful football club.

Great pic

BILLYHIBS
24-07-2021, 02:35 PM
Joe looks as though he has had a few 😃

Iggy Pope
24-07-2021, 04:13 PM

That was you in your normal going out gear too :greengrin

Leithenhibby
24-07-2021, 05:01 PM
That was you in your normal going out gear too :greengrin

I was going out out that night :greengrin:aok:

Leithenhibby
24-07-2021, 05:05 PM
Great pic

:aok: I love it as he was my first Hibernian Hero...:aok:

Joe looks as though he has had a few 😃

With these kinda nights I think it's fair to say we all had a few. So many memories with these legends...