PDA

View Full Version : Green kits banned in Italy

bingo70
15-07-2021, 05:44 PM
See Green kits have been banned in Italy from 2022/23 season.

Something to do with the colour blending in with the colour of the grass.

Should just change the colour of the grass IMO. Wonder how long till that mental train of thought lands on these shores.

LeithMike
15-07-2021, 05:49 PM
That's crazy. How long have teams played in green? Have to say one of the most annoying things about the Euros/international football these days is the requirement/advice for countries to have one light strip and one dark strip meaning very few teams wear contrasting shorts and it was very rare thst both teams wore their home strips against each other.

Its gone a bit like basketball where one team has to play in white to make it better viewing on tv.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

bingo70
15-07-2021, 05:53 PM
That's crazy. How long have teams played in green? Have to say one of the most annoying things about the Euros/international football these days is the requirement/advice for countries to have one light strip and one dark strip meaning very few teams wear contrasting shorts and it was very rare thst both teams wore their home strips against each other.

Its gone a bit like basketball where one team has to play in white to make it better viewing on tv.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I saw one tweet saying it was something to do with it being difficult for people who are colour blind. That would make more sense, even though I don’t agree with it.

My father in law and son are both colour blind, I know my father in law struggles some times but I wouldn’t have thought it would be reason enough to ban green strips altogether.

If it is for those reasons though it does feel like it could be implemented here at some point too.

Tricla
15-07-2021, 05:57 PM
I vote purple if push comes to shove.

bingo70
15-07-2021, 06:07 PM

Sure BlackpoolHibs has been asking for a red, white and blue kit for a while. Could be the right time to give that a whirl.

Glory Lurker
15-07-2021, 06:13 PM
I have genuinely wondered if that might account some way for our definite underachievement down the years. I'd like to think that it's rubbish, of course.

bingo70
15-07-2021, 06:17 PM
I have genuinely wondered if that might account some way for our definite underachievement down the years. I'd like to think that it's rubbish, of course.

If it’s proven to be the case that it does have a negative influence on performance/results would you want us to change?

I wouldn’t.

Just Alf
15-07-2021, 06:22 PM
I have genuinely wondered if that might account some way for our definite underachievement down the years. I'd like to think that it's rubbish, of course.An interesting question, would need some statistics guys somewhere to work it out but it would be interesting to see the relative performance between the home strips and away over the years (would need to be 10 or 20 to eliminate different players and managers from the equation)

If it was proved, green is still our home strip colour and any manager would just have to factor that into training by having them playing in green a lot more ... no more day glow vests! :-)

Greenbeard
15-07-2021, 06:29 PM
I saw one tweet saying it was something to do with it being difficult for people who are colour blind. That would make more sense, even though I don’t agree with it.

My father in law and son are both colour blind, I know my father in law struggles some times but I wouldn’t have thought it would be reason enough to ban green strips altogether.

If it is for those reasons though it does feel like it could be implemented here at some point too.
Excuse my ignorance but if you have a distortion to seeing green, you see that distortion for green grass as much as you do green strips so I don't see what the difference is between green on green for a colour blind person and green on green for a non-colour blind person. I suspect it is more tv influence.

Waxy
15-07-2021, 06:31 PM
We should go full green.

vercol36
15-07-2021, 06:33 PM

I second this motion. There's only one strip more beautiful than the hallowed green-and-white of Hibs, and that's the purple of Fiorentina!

bingo70
15-07-2021, 06:35 PM
Excuse my ignorance but if you have a distortion to seeing green, you see that distortion for green grass as much as you do green strips so I don't see what the difference is between green on green for a colour blind person and green on green for a non-colour blind person. I suspect it is more tv influence.

I honestly don’t know. Since my boy was ‘diagnosed’ (doesn’t seem the right word but not sure how else to put it) ive tried to get an idea of what it’s like but it’s all he’s ever known so he’s pish at explaining it.

My father in law struggles when Hibs play certain teams because of his colour blindness but he’s blind as a bat anyway so I ignore him for the most part.

delbert
15-07-2021, 06:35 PM

So what was responsible for us over achieving in the 50’s, although hang on, Ive seen the films, everyone wore black and white !

HoboHarry
15-07-2021, 06:44 PM
I always thought that red/green was the most common combination for color blindness - are they banning red strips too?

blackpoolhibs
15-07-2021, 06:48 PM
Sure BlackpoolHibs has been asking for a red, white and blue kit for a while. Could be the right time to give that a whirl.

Or burgundy, i'm not bothered either way?

Just Alf
15-07-2021, 06:50 PM
Or burgundy, i'm not bothered either way?:hmm you might have an idea there!

gbhibby
15-07-2021, 07:12 PM
Thought it was a wind up. On some tvs yellow strips cause issues but green is not a problem. Remember Man Utd grey strip which they changed at half time at Southampton as Fergie thought it blended in with the crowd.
Rangers are applying to the SPFL for the same to happen here.

DH1875
15-07-2021, 07:58 PM
I'm sure I read somewhere that the green strip with the green seats and the green of the pitch all being together made it more difficult for folk both on and off the pitch to see.

Reading that back I must have dreamt it but who knows.

vercol36
15-07-2021, 08:12 PM
Played fives last week on a green team and lost abysmally. Played two games last night in blue and won both 🤔

1875Sean
15-07-2021, 08:25 PM
I think it’s more in relation to tv companies saying it’s blending in while shooting rather than the players having issues themselves

PPZPOL
15-07-2021, 08:25 PM
I honestly don’t know. Since my boy was ‘diagnosed’ (doesn’t seem the right word but not sure how else to put it) ive tried to get an idea of what it’s like but it’s all he’s ever known so he’s pish at explaining it.

My father in law struggles when Hibs play certain teams because of his colour blindness but he’s blind as a bat anyway so I ignore him for the most part.

As a fellow colour blind “sufferer” I can empathise with your son. When you are used to seeing the colours your whole life and working them out in your own head for so long, you don’t give it a second thought. When someone asks you to explain it you can’t. Most people think you are talking rubbish and say things like “it’s obviously red, how can you not tell that.”

Best way to explain it for me - there are some good graphics to do it, I can’t see a difference between pics but my wife assures me there are.

bingo70
15-07-2021, 08:36 PM
As a fellow colour blind “sufferer” I can empathise with your son. When you are used to seeing the colours your whole life and working them out in your own head for so long, you don’t give it a second thought. When someone asks you to explain it you can’t. Most people think you are talking rubbish and say things like “it’s obviously red, how can you not tell that.”

Best way to explain it for me - there are some good graphics to do it, I can’t see a difference between pics but my wife assures me there are.

Really appreciate this post, thanks.

Sure there’s other colours that are a problem but I was drawn to the greens and reds as that’s what my father in law goes on about. Can’t believe that’s what he sees, no wonder he moans 😂

CentreLine
15-07-2021, 09:43 PM

Based on that I can’t see purple strips having much of a shelf life in Italy either. Must be quite difficult living with colour blindness, I don’t envy you.

jacomo
15-07-2021, 09:50 PM

Oh I see!

Thanks for the graphics they really illustrate the issue.

AFKA5814_Hibs
15-07-2021, 10:04 PM
For 100 years Hibs played Celtc no problem with Green v Green and white hoops. From the early 90s it seemed to became a problem. No coincidence it coincided with away kits being introduced.

mcohibs
15-07-2021, 10:15 PM
For 100 years Hibs played Celtc no problem with Green v Green and white hoops. From the early 90s it seemed to became a problem. No coincidence it coincided with away kits being introduced.

Do you not think that maybe the introduction of away kits just gave us and celtic a better option? I don't think it necessarily was or became a problem for us both playing with green but having the option of one team playing in their away kit is probably preferable isn't it?

AFKA5814_Hibs
15-07-2021, 10:21 PM
Do you not think that maybe the introduction of away kits just gave us and celtic a better option? I don't think it necessarily was or became a problem for us both playing with green but having the option of one team playing in their away kit is probably preferable isn't it?

Perhaps but there have been many times when both teams had to change. 2001 SC Cup Final for example. Both sides played in away tops. Why not both play in home tops?

Glory Lurker
15-07-2021, 10:28 PM
If it’s proven to be the case that it does have a negative influence on performance/results would you want us to change?

I wouldn’t.

An interesting question, would need some statistics guys somewhere to work it out but it would be interesting to see the relative performance between the home strips and away over the years (would need to be 10 or 20 to eliminate different players and managers from the equation)

If it was proved, green is still our home strip colour and any manager would just have to factor that into training by having them playing in green a lot more ... no more day glow vests! :-)

So what was responsible for us over achieving in the 50’s, although hang on, Ive seen the films, everyone wore black and white !

Bingo. As I say I hope it's not the case! Green with white sleeves until science tells us otherwise.

Alf. I don't think that would determine it. We'd need a world-wide study on performance of teams in predominantly-green tops. There's a Nobel prize winning bit of research to be done there (there is a Nobel prize for Fitba, isn't there?)

Delbert: Over achieving? How about we under achieved even then? :-)

vercol36
15-07-2021, 10:55 PM
I wonder if we're just used to it, seeing as we're 'fitba folk'...

It reminds me of the sports network in North America, who began to get anxious when they started showing ice hockey games on telly in Texas and the Southwest. They superimposed a tail on the puck, so that new hockey fans could keep track of where it was going, as it bounced and ricocheted around the rink. Cue the thousands of hockey fans complaining that it was completely unnecessary.

16-07-2021, 02:45 AM
I think it’s more in relation to tv companies saying it’s blending in while shooting rather than the players having issues themselves

Can't the TV companies just apply some sort of filter or adjust the contrast settings when broadcasting the image? 🤔

Phil MaGlass
16-07-2021, 05:41 AM
That might explain why so many folk support hertz, they must be colour blind as how on earth anyone in their right mind would follow a team with such colours is beyond me?

Crunchie
16-07-2021, 05:45 AM
See Green kits have been banned in Italy from 2022/23 season.

Something to do with the colour blending in with the colour of the grass.

Should just change the colour of the grass IMO. Wonder how long till that mental train of thought lands on these shores.
Surely they could just put luminous numbers on the shirt, shorts and socks without taking away a clubs history. Just another rule in a world gone mad.

EI255
16-07-2021, 06:49 AM
Just ridiculous. I'm red green colourblind, yet have no problem with green kits and grass. Only kit clashes, which is not a result of grass colour distortion.

The only pitch I have problem with is Kilmarnocks. It's kinda stripey and weird and seems to reflect the sun too. Awful, awful pitch.

bingo70
16-07-2021, 07:52 AM
https://twitter.com/jamtarts/status/1415927118178000898?s=21

Have to admit I did have a wee chuckle at that. The hearts *******s.

PPZPOL
16-07-2021, 08:29 AM
Just ridiculous. I'm red green colourblind, yet have no problem with green kits and grass. Only kit clashes, which is not a result of grass colour distortion.

The only pitch I have problem with is Kilmarnocks. It's kinda stripey and weird and seems to reflect the sun too. Awful, awful pitch.

I should have added in my post that I don’t have an issue with green strips on green pitches either. It’s the strip clashes that are the issue for me.

Said it before on here but some evening games against Hearts, Raith, Dundee etc when we had our darker tops was a nightmare as well.

BILLYHIBS
16-07-2021, 08:37 AM
My laddie wore his dark green Italy football top to watch the Euros Final on Sunday on the telly

Worked a treat :greengrin 🇮🇹

:thumbsup:

EI255
16-07-2021, 08:49 AM
I should have added in my post that I don’t have an issue with green strips on green pitches either. It’s the strip clashes that are the issue for me.

Said it before on here but some evening games against Hearts, Raith, Dundee etc when we had our darker tops was a nightmare as well.Watched a bit of Bristol v Celtic the other night. Celtic wore all green, Bristol in red. Sun shining. Pitch very bright. Was almost unwatchable, for me anyway.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Joe6-2
16-07-2021, 09:51 AM

That must be awful

overdrive
16-07-2021, 10:09 AM

Said it before on here but some evening games against Hearts, Raith, Dundee etc when we had our darker tops was a nightmare as well.

I don't have colour blindness but the seasons where Raith and Dundee had navy with white sleeves, I found it quite difficult at first glance to notice the difference with them our kit. I thought that was way more of a clash than we have with Celtic.

Since90+2
16-07-2021, 10:10 AM
Fortunately for us the biggest club in the country also play in green so there's no chance it would be implemented here.

weecounty hibby
16-07-2021, 10:46 AM
I don't have colour blindness but the seasons where Raith and Dundee had navy with white sleeves, I found it quite difficult at first glance to notice the difference with them our kit. I thought that was way more of a clash than we have with Celtic.
No one should ever be allowed to wear white sleeves except Hibernian. It should be the law, no ifs no buts, illegal for everyone except Hibs

Aim Here
16-07-2021, 10:51 AM
Can't the TV companies just apply some sort of filter or adjust the contrast settings when broadcasting the image? 🤔

Technology is such these days that it should be possible for individual owners of TV sets to have a set of colour-blindness filters that can alter the palette to fix their particular issues, if any.

PPZPOL
16-07-2021, 02:16 PM
Watched a bit of Bristol v Celtic the other night. Celtic wore all green, Bristol in red. Sun shining. Pitch very bright. Was almost unwatchable, for me anyway.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Sounds horrific for me and one that would have been difficult (or certainly not enjoyable) to watch.

You can get a filter on phone to help out so as others have suggested perhaps tv’s these days should be able to sort that out. Doesn’t make much difference if you are at the game mind🤣. You can get glasses which cost a fortune I think.

I quite like the way I see the world, it’s all I’ve even been used to.

Eyrie
16-07-2021, 05:10 PM
So what happens when we draw an Italian club in Europe?

Glory Lurker
16-07-2021, 05:56 PM

Knowing our luck, a bye for Hearts.

jacomo
16-07-2021, 08:01 PM
https://twitter.com/jamtarts/status/1415927118178000898?s=21

Have to admit I did have a wee chuckle at that. The hearts *******s.

Hopefully Hearts do one of their self-imposed bans from the big boys league again soon.

Lancs Harp
16-07-2021, 09:41 PM

Its a Serie A thing so wont make any difference to European competition.

Its all very greenist though :wink: