PDA

View Full Version : 2030 World Cup Bid

Colr
12-07-2021, 09:22 PM
Bit concerned that association with England is going to torpedo this bid at great expense.

Should the Celtic nations seek another partner?

bingo70
12-07-2021, 09:25 PM
Bit concerned that association with England is going to torpedo this bid at great expense.

Should the Celtic nations seek another partner?

That completely passed me by, are Scotland hoping to be one of the host countries in 2030? I thought it was just England.

IMO it will all come down to money, if a UK bid can make FIFA £1 more than any other bid then we’ll get it, regardless of some fans acting like ********s yesterday.

Colr
12-07-2021, 09:28 PM
That completely passed me by, are Scotland hoping to be one of the host countries in 2030? I thought it was just England.

IMO it will all come down to money, if a UK bid can make FIFA £1 more than any other bid then we’ll get it, regardless of some fans acting like ********s yesterday.

GB + Eire.

Sir David Gray
12-07-2021, 09:29 PM
As I said earlier in response to a poster who said something similar, the next World Cup's being held in a country that's got one of the worst human rights records and most repressive legal systems in the world so I think England might be ok as long as they pay FIFA enough money.

Iggy Pope
12-07-2021, 09:31 PM
As I said earlier in response to a poster who said something similar, the next World Cup's being held in a country that's got one of the worst human rights records and most repressive legal systems in the world so I think England might be ok as long as they pay FIFA enough money.

Surely not only England if it’s a GB and Ireland bid?

Sir David Gray
12-07-2021, 09:37 PM
Surely not only England if it’s a GB and Ireland bid?

Sorry I just meant England as in not being concerned by England spoiling the bid.

GreenCastle
12-07-2021, 09:52 PM
Could be a way to finally redevelop Hampden?? The thought of waiting 10 years for that is depressing though.

The fan trouble / security breaches won’t help England’s cause.

SChibs
12-07-2021, 10:13 PM
Hypothetical question. Would people be happy if they redeveloped Easter Road into a 35k seater for the tournament? We'd have an awesome stadium but it would only be half full for most league games.

Iggy Pope
12-07-2021, 10:19 PM
Hypothetical question. Would people be happy if they redeveloped Easter Road into a 35k seater for the tournament? We'd have an awesome stadium but it would only be half full for most league games.

Wasn’t this bounced about once before?

Brummie_Hibs
12-07-2021, 10:24 PM
Not a chance Easter Road will be upgraded for any WC bid.

80% of games would be played in England, with the other nations fighting for the scraps. And the Scottish scraps being divided up in Glasgow.

SChibs
12-07-2021, 10:37 PM
Not a chance Easter Road will be upgraded for any WC bid.

80% of games would be played in England, with the other nations fighting for the scraps. And the Scottish scraps being divided up in Glasgow.

I'm not expecting it to be. Was just wondering what people's opinions were

houstonhibbee
13-07-2021, 01:28 AM
GB + Eire.
Do you mean UK and Eire - or did you intentionally leave out NI?

greenlad
13-07-2021, 01:55 AM

Was discussing Scotland's bid (with Ireland) for Euro 2008 recently and reminded myself of the plans. If ER had been included it was to have a capacity of 34,880 including a 3-tier East Stand!

This was before the current East Stand was built but even without the flats behind it is hard to imagine how you'd fit anything like that in.

Starting point is the capacity of circa 13,500 across the first 3 new stands. You can't expand either stand behind the goal due to the roads. Being very ambitious 2000 in each of the NE and SW corners. So 17,500 with a new East Stand to come.

To hit 34,880 the New East Stand would literally need to be a 17,000 capacity stand so you are talking a lot bigger than the Govan Stand at Ibrox even. There's no way it would fit with the existing design and it would be like a taller and longer version of Aberdeen's Dick Donald stand. It would dwarf the rest of the stadium and basically take 3rd place only to Arthur's Seat and Calton Hill in dominating the skyline of Edinburgh's East End😂😂😂😂😂

Bristolhibby
13-07-2021, 06:26 AM
Who would qualify for a GB and Ireland bid?

There’s five countries there!

Can’t see that being a goer.

TBH England can host this on its own, don’t see why it needs the other nations.

J

Curried
13-07-2021, 06:42 AM

J

Two countries according to the Simon Jenkins in the Guardian today. Scotland, Wales and NI are all apparently provinces:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jul/12/boris-johnson-euros-england-football-team-prime-minister

Jones28
13-07-2021, 07:32 AM

If the SFA are paying for it then **** yes. Would then be a great venue to host games that aren't filling Hampden but would sell out Tynecastle. See every semi-final ever that doesn't involve us playing Hearts or either side of the Old Firm.

mjhibby
13-07-2021, 08:13 AM
Was listening to talksport and they reckon 20,000 fans got in without tickets. Absolutely no chance any bid connected with England has a chance. I’m sure even uefa would have been shocked how bad the behaviour of the England fans was and that at a home final. Also there is a log jam when leaving Wembley and they would need to spend many millions to fix it. Best bet is Scotland wales and another country to bid.

nonshinyfinish
13-07-2021, 08:16 AM

J

If a massive combo bid like this was successful, none of the host nations would get automatic qualification.

Lago
13-07-2021, 09:17 AM
Could be a way to finally redevelop Hampden?? The thought of waiting 10 years for that is depressing though.

The fan trouble / security breaches won’t help England’s cause.
A controlled explosion is the only way to redevelope, the opportunity was there years ago but missed.

HibsGW
13-07-2021, 09:19 AM

I see some appeal but probably not, no, the thought of derbies and stuff not being full just takes away from the best matchday experiences for us.

wookie70
13-07-2021, 09:50 AM
I think ER is pretty much spot on as it is. The design is coherent and the view excellent. When the crowd are at it the atmosphere is excellent too. Filling in the corners if it could be done to look like it was part of the design is the only option to increase capacity but it isn't really worth the investment at the moment.

mal
13-07-2021, 10:55 AM
Do you mean UK and Eire - or did you intentionally leave out NI?

Deleted. I picked you up wrongly.

GreenCastle
13-07-2021, 11:04 AM
Was listening to talksport and they reckon 20,000 fans got in without tickets. Absolutely no chance any bid connected with England has a chance. I’m sure even uefa would have been shocked how bad the behaviour of the England fans was and that at a home final. Also there is a log jam when leaving Wembley and they would need to spend many millions to fix it. Best bet is Scotland wales and another country to bid.

No chance 20,000 fans got into the stadium without tickets.

Fans were getting past security parts but there were several entrances and parts you had to show tickets to actually get to seats.

I would be all for a bigger ER - the stadium while a nice size just now could do with some upgrades and I still feel it has potential to be even better with corners filled in and some interior improvements. Changing rooms for example are basic.

Hampden is an issue though - it’s not fit for purpose but the Scottish FA are skint so won’t redevelop unless they get grants / funding to do so. Stands being so far away from the stand really don’t help the atmosphere / team.

Diclonius
13-07-2021, 12:42 PM
The Celtic nations can do it alone. Let's say we need 12 stadia, all with at least 30+, four with 40+ (for the QFs) and two with 60+ (for the SFs and final).

60,000+:
Croke (Ireland)
Principality (Wales)
Murrayfield (Scotland)
Parkhead (Scotland)

40,000+
Hampden (Scotland)
Aviva (Ireland)
Ibrox (Scotland)
Semple (Ireland)
The Park (Ireland)
Gaelic Grounds (Ireland)

30,000+
Cardiff City (Wales)
Fitzgerald (Ireland)
Casement (Ireland)

More than enough. A few will need upgraded, which is fine, but between us we can host a fantastic tournament. Also, would give us the funds to finally upgrade Hampden and turn it into a final-worthy venue!

ancient hibee
13-07-2021, 12:54 PM
The Celtic nations can do it alone. Let's say we need 12 stadia, all with at least 30+, four with 40+ (for the QFs) and two with 60+ (for the SFs and final).

60,000+:
Croke (Ireland)
Principality (Wales)
Murrayfield (Scotland)
Parkhead (Scotland)

40,000+
Hampden (Scotland)
Aviva (Ireland)
Ibrox (Scotland)
Semple (Ireland)
The Park (Ireland)
Gaelic Grounds (Ireland)

30,000+
Cardiff City (Wales)
Fitzgerald (Ireland)
Casement (Ireland)

More than enough. A few will need upgraded, which is fine, but between us we can host a fantastic tournament. Also, would give us the funds to finally upgrade Hampden and turn it into a final-worthy venue!

There is no infrastructure to support a World Cup without England. Hotels,training grounds etc.

Bristolhibby
13-07-2021, 12:57 PM

That’s an Easter Road “snuck” in. C’mon! Imagine if it was a 90,000 sellout!

TBH it looked fully stacked. Problem with Wembley is some entrances lead directly to the bottom tier or top tier. Suppose you could leg it up an exit stairway from the top deck. Access to those seats are via escalator.

J

superfurryhibby
13-07-2021, 12:58 PM
There is no infrastructure to support a World Cup without England. Hotels,training grounds etc.

I think there are plenty facilities on offer in the other nations without England. Some existing and others can be commissioned.

ancient hibee
13-07-2021, 01:06 PM
The
I think there are plenty facilities on offer in the other nations without England. Some existing and others can be commissioned.
I would guess there are five training facilities in Scotland anywhere near international standard. None of these has good standard hotel facilities. To get planning permission would probably take until the second half of the century:greengrin.

Mikey
13-07-2021, 01:31 PM
It's about time they stop pissing about with these major tournaments and just hold them in countries that have the infrastructure in place already.

GreenCastle
13-07-2021, 01:57 PM

60,000+:
Croke (Ireland)
Principality (Wales)
Murrayfield (Scotland)
Parkhead (Scotland)

40,000+
Hampden (Scotland)
Aviva (Ireland)
Ibrox (Scotland)
Semple (Ireland)
The Park (Ireland)
Gaelic Grounds (Ireland)

30,000+
Cardiff City (Wales)
Fitzgerald (Ireland)
Casement (Ireland)

You need a stadium which can hold 80,000 plus for opening game and final supposedly - not sure if Croke park without standing could do that. Also as someone else said..training grounds and infrastructure. Stadiums is just one part of the bid.

superfurryhibby
13-07-2021, 02:44 PM
The
I would guess there are five training facilities in Scotland anywhere near international standard. None of these has good standard hotel facilities. To get planning permission would probably take until the second half of the century:greengrin.

Not sure that an on-site hotel is a prerequisite for a training facility really. If it’s a world cup of 32 nations then I would say training facilities will be made available/ created. Some nations could set up camp in the likes of N.E England, if they were playing at Murrayfield. It’s not far in terms of teavel for games.

MWHIBBIES
13-07-2021, 02:59 PM
Not sure that an on-site hotel is a prerequisite for a training facility really. If it’s a world cup of 32 nations then I would say training facilities will be made available/ created. Some nations could set up camp in the likes of N.E England, if they were playing at Murrayfield. It’s not far in terms of teavel for games.
Think it's 48 teams

Lancs Harp
13-07-2021, 03:46 PM
From a purely personal pov i'd prefer an awayday world cup in the sun. Spain and Portugal for me. I think Argentina and Uruguay are putting a bid together which might be interesting it being a 100 anniversary if the first world cup which of course was held in and won by Uruguay.

SanFranHibs
13-07-2021, 03:50 PM
From a purely personal pov i'd prefer an awayday world cup in the sun. Spain and Portugal for me. I think Argentina and Uruguay are putting a bid together which might be interesting it being a 100 anniversary if the first world cup which of course was held in and won by Uruguay.

As long as Scotland don't put in a 'solo' bid. If we were ever awarded the finals we might be the first country to fail to qualify as hosts.

:saltireflag

1875Sean
13-07-2021, 03:55 PM
As long as Scotland don't put in a 'solo' bid. If we were ever awarded the finals we might be the first country to fail to qualify as hosts.

:saltireflag

Have they changed the rules around host not having to qualify?

SanFranHibs
13-07-2021, 04:00 PM
Have they changed the rules around host not having to qualify?

LOL. I don't know.

Lancs Harp
13-07-2021, 04:05 PM
US Mexico and Canada are hosting 2026 which hosts qualify automatically hasnt been decided yet.(well last time I looked) The 48 teams will be split into 16 groups of 3 with the top two going forward to the knockout. UEFA will get 16 places

Pretty Boy
13-07-2021, 04:08 PM
US Mexico and Canada are hosting 2026 which hosts qualify automatically hasnt been decided yet.(well last time I looked) The 48 teams will be split into 16 groups of 3 with the top two going forward to the knockout. UEFA will get 16 places

I think when you look at the infrastructure the 2026 WC has in place you can see why a Celtic bid would be an uphill battle.

20 stadiums ranging from 45K to 105K, 50 general training sites rising to 85 venue specific sites. I reckon England would struggle to do that alone hence why they want the rest of the UK as well as Ireland involved.

It's no surprise all the confirmed or speculated 2030 bids are joint, many of them multi nation, with the exception of Saudi Arabia.

plhibs
13-07-2021, 04:12 PM
A controlled explosion is the only way to redevelope, the opportunity was there years ago but missed.
I really agree with that, Hampden doesn't look anything like the the other stadiums that i saw during the Euros. It's like going back to the 60s/70s.

Steven79
13-07-2021, 10:44 PM
I really agree with that, Hampden doesn't look anything like the the other stadiums that i saw during the Euros. It's like going back to the 60s/70s.I'm not the biggest fan of Hampden but it's miles better than anything from that era.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Crunchie
14-07-2021, 07:22 AM

60,000+:
Croke (Ireland)
Principality (Wales)
Murrayfield (Scotland)
Parkhead (Scotland)

40,000+
Hampden (Scotland)
Aviva (Ireland)
Ibrox (Scotland)
Semple (Ireland)
The Park (Ireland)
Gaelic Grounds (Ireland)

30,000+
Cardiff City (Wales)
Fitzgerald (Ireland)
Casement (Ireland)

Fantasy island stuff I'm afraid.

hibbyfraelibby
14-07-2021, 03:48 PM
If a massive combo bid like this was successful, none of the host nations would get automatic qualification.

You could probably put the host nations in a section together so one was quaranteed a knock out place.

Moulin Yarns
14-07-2021, 04:05 PM

I think there are plenty hotels in the luxury end of the market with ample hrounds to be made into training facilities which would be a lot cheaper than building hotels onto existing training facilities, and that's just Scotland