PDA

View Full Version : Chiellini warrior

lord bunberry
11-07-2021, 10:21 PM
What a warrior he is. At 36 he was still bombing down the wing deep into extra time. He reminds me of Frank Sauzee in the way he plays the game, intelligent and still fit at an age when most are retiring. Most of all he has the heart of lion.

MWHIBBIES
11-07-2021, 10:26 PM
Legend. Proper centre back.

lord bunberry
11-07-2021, 10:27 PM
Legend. Proper centre back.
I’d imagine he could be president of Italy if he wanted it :greengrin

AFKA5814_Hibs
11-07-2021, 10:29 PM
What a warrior he is. At 36 he was still bombing down the wing deep into extra time. He reminds me of Frank Sauzee in the way he plays the game, intelligent and still fit at an age when most are retiring. Most of all he has the heart of lion.

Excellent. The guy is amazing. I've loved the Italian spirit from the start. You can see from their reaction to the national that they are together. Worthy winners in the end.

hibsbollah
11-07-2021, 10:31 PM
Too slow, I was reading before the tournament…

:faf:

madhatter
11-07-2021, 10:31 PM
Bonucci and Chiellini are the perfect pairing. Bonucci's passing from CB is absolutely marvellous.

lord bunberry
11-07-2021, 10:34 PM
Too slow, I was reading before the tournament…

:faf:
I read that as well, I bet the folk that wrote that feel pretty stupid now. He was a colossus.

Scorrie
11-07-2021, 10:45 PM
Bonucci and Chiellini are the perfect pairing. Bonucci's passing from CB is absolutely marvellous.

Combined age of 70! Immense

Vault Boy
11-07-2021, 10:57 PM
Total legend, some performance from him tonight.

heretoday
11-07-2021, 11:05 PM
He's a throwback to all those psycho Italian defenders of yore. Superb.

Hibee Mac
11-07-2021, 11:11 PM
Where was all the nonsense coming from about them being slow and vulnerable??

The English media shoot themselves in the foot with that sort of rubbish, they're the two best centre backs in the tournament and they were in their slippers for most of it. Outstanding leaders and exactly what a winning team needs

Smartie
11-07-2021, 11:22 PM
What is it about Italian defenders that allows them to play to such a high standard at such an age? Remember Maldini going on forever, still at the top of his game?

Obviously there was the rugged defending, then there was some good old-fashioned Italian s***housery along the way, but the composure the defenders showed to keep playing with some snappy players closing them down was a joy to behold at times.

Shrekko
12-07-2021, 12:03 AM
Player of the tournament for me for many reasons - the heart and soul of the team along with his defensive partner.

Hibrandenburg
12-07-2021, 12:08 AM
Intelligent guy, written several books and has a Masters in business studies.

Baader
12-07-2021, 12:25 AM
Immense and more than just a centre back, was regularly down that left side tonight.

Bonucci is incredible as well. Equalised and scores his penalty with ease. One of the best defensive partnerships in the history of football.

Callum_62
12-07-2021, 12:58 AM
Immense and more than just a centre back, was regularly down that left side tonight.

Bonucci is incredible as well. Equalised and scores his penalty with ease. One of the best defensive partnerships in the history of football.His penalty was absolute ballin

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Stairway 2 7
12-07-2021, 04:19 AM
Player of the tournament for me for many reasons - the heart and soul of the team along with his defensive partner.

Yeah thought he would be a cert, although Donnarumma was very good

Since452
12-07-2021, 05:15 AM
Proper Italian defender. Did his nation proud.

Highwayman
12-07-2021, 09:18 AM
You’ve got a good case for Chiellni being player of the tournament.

But would you volunteer to tell the giant Donnaruma that UEFA had changed their mind and he had to hand the trophy back ?

No,me neither.

Stairway 2 7
12-07-2021, 09:33 AM
Intelligent guy, written several books and has a Masters in business studies.

Yep very intelligent man can tell in his interviews, not the usual pile of clichés. Also was a fan of the nationals controversial your our only hope Roberto front page

He said: "The front page of the National made me smile for Scotland's rivalry with England.

"Tomorrow we'll need a hot heart to survive, but also a cool head.

We will have to dare, we'll have to be lucid to have the situation under control. It's unthinkable to have control for 90 minutes, you'll need these characteristics to the maximum. To win the final you'll need to take care of every detail."

JeMeSouviens
12-07-2021, 11:01 AM
https://twitter.com/i/status/1414354493525970950

Bonucci - you should eat more pasta! :greengrin

I think he's been even better than Chiellini tbh. Both great players with the ball as well as without it.

JeMeSouviens
12-07-2021, 11:05 AM
Chiellini on twitter:

Thanks to you
To all of you
Because in this incredible adventure we took you inside.
Before your eyes you.
In our hearts you.
The pain of those who have suffered. The efforts of those who have been brought to their knees by the pandemic. The desire to come back to life.

The faces of women, men, old, young, children and those who saved our lives: doctors
You pushed us
You helped us
You sang with us

The result is only part of the game but this result, this victory, these tears of joy are dedicated to you.
We made history!

Forza Azzurri!

What a guy!

BILLYHIBS
12-07-2021, 11:15 AM
Looked like SDG’s Dad tanking down that wing with minutes to go

Well the late Sir Sean Connery once played Harrison Ford’s Dad 😃

TelaStella
12-07-2021, 01:47 PM
Hail, Caesar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjhibby
12-07-2021, 02:40 PM
Yep very intelligent man can tell in his interviews, not the usual pile of clichés. Also was a fan of the nationals controversial your our only hope Roberto front page

He said: "The front page of the National made me smile for Scotland's rivalry with England.

"Tomorrow we'll need a hot heart to survive, but also a cool head.

We will have to dare, we'll have to be lucid to have the situation under control. It's unthinkable to have control for 90 minutes, you'll need these characteristics to the maximum. To win the final you'll need to take care of every detail."

Can you imagine any British player speaking like that. Came out of retirement to answer the call after not qualifying for the last World Cup. Shades of daz in him. Maybe just ahead of daz mind you.🤣

hibeedonald
12-07-2021, 03:07 PM
Chiesa was also incredible.

Since452
12-07-2021, 03:13 PM

They really missed him when he went off. I don't think it would have gone as far as penalties if he didn't have to go off.

hibsbollah
12-07-2021, 03:33 PM

Chiesa, Chiellini, Verrati also, second half absolutely bossed Rice and Philips after being second best in the first half. And big D of course. A spine of four that won them the game.

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-07-2021, 03:37 PM
His positional play was outstanding. You can give a forward a yard of pace if you already know where they are going to move to.

Smartie
12-07-2021, 03:38 PM

He was the player of the tournament for me.

I hadn’t seen him play before and you always have that wee bit of suspicion about someone with a famous name.

Pace and dribbling ability to pull defenders out of position seems to be a big part of the game today, and he had it in abundance.

Really good player.

Iggy Pope
12-07-2021, 03:38 PM
Pulling Saka back by the neck of his shirt with both hands was blatant, shameless hard nosed brilliance.

hibsbollah
12-07-2021, 03:39 PM
Pulling Saka back by the neck of his shirt with both hands was blatant, shameless hard nosed brilliance.

That’s why he missed the penalty. Still suffering from whiplash, poor chap :agree:

Crunchie
12-07-2021, 03:48 PM
I thought the ref was lenient all night but that one took the biscuit, had to have been a red

MWHIBBIES
12-07-2021, 03:51 PM
I thought the ref was lenient all night but that one took the biscuit, had to have been a red

I have never seen a red for shirt pulling except when denying a clear goalscoring oppertunity, have you? Never a red.

JimBHibees
12-07-2021, 03:55 PM
I have never seen a red for shirt pulling except when denying a clear goalscoring oppertunity, have you? Never a red.

Yep never a red in a million years.

Crunchie
12-07-2021, 04:00 PM
So you've seen one then :confused:

Iggy Pope
12-07-2021, 04:03 PM

Didn’t expect more than a yellow but laughed out loud at the replay. Pure theatre.

Stairway 2 7
12-07-2021, 04:09 PM

Was it a goal scoring opportunity, no as another 2 defenders closer to goal. Was a clear yellow and to their credit England fans online saying the same generally

Crunchie
12-07-2021, 04:14 PM
Was it a goal scoring opportunity, no as another 2 defenders closer to goal. Was a clear yellow and to their credit England fans online saying the same generally
It was more than a jersey pulling imo, and he definitely had a run in on goal with his pace.
At the end of the day it was given as a yellow, just putting it out there that I thought the ref was very lenient throughout the game.

JimBHibees
12-07-2021, 04:15 PM
It was more than a jersey pulling imo, and he definitely had a run in on goal with his pace.
At the end of the day it was given as a yellow, just putting it out there that I thought the ref was very lenient throughout the game.

Agree he was lenient especially the blatant diving ignored

weecounty hibby
12-07-2021, 04:19 PM
I think that in general over the tournament refs have been more "lenient" than normal in the modern game. And it was a better tournament for it. No one wants to see leg breaking tackles but we can also be doing without free kicks every time the likes of Sterling and Kane go down with the slightest of touches. "There was contact so he's entitled to go down" is the biggest load of ***** ever

overdrive
12-07-2021, 04:27 PM
Chielinni was outstanding during the whole tournament. I think he should have got player of the tournament.

For all the ref is getting praise for letting things go and not being conned by the diving, I thought he was very bad at getting in the way of the players.

Brightside
12-07-2021, 04:29 PM

It’s not a red. As per the rules.

Smartie
12-07-2021, 04:35 PM
I didn't think "the pull" was a red card, but I can't for the life of me work out how it wasn't a red card for the challenge on Grealish.

By every possible definition it looked a red card to me.

MWHIBBIES
12-07-2021, 04:38 PM

This was not a clear goalscoring opportunity.

Stairway 2 7
12-07-2021, 04:40 PM
I didn't think "the pull" was a red card, but I can't for the life of me work out how it wasn't a red card for the challenge on Grealish.

Looked worse in slow motion played for the ball and it was 100 miles per hour. Wasn't as bad as kalvin Phillips challenge against Germany, but both correct as yellows

JeMeSouviens
12-07-2021, 05:02 PM
Looked worse in slow motion played for the ball and it was 100 miles per hour. Wasn't as bad as kalvin Phillips challenge against Germany, but both correct as yellows

He actually got the ball, then slid onto Grealish, but it was studs up and reckless so borderline as to yellow/red.

The Chiellini one was quite funny but it wasn't even a goalscoring opportunity if the boy was Chic Charnley! :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
12-07-2021, 05:07 PM
Chielinni was outstanding during the whole tournament. I think he should have got player of the tournament.

For all the ref is getting praise for letting things go and not being conned by the diving, I thought he was very bad at getting in the way of the players.
Broke up more Italian attacks than Maguire

SChibs
12-07-2021, 05:16 PM

He got a whole foot on the ball first. If the ball had spun his foot the other way it would have been a good challenge. It was reckless but he was unfortunate to catch Grealish imo

Seveno
12-07-2021, 05:23 PM

It was variously described as cynical, outrageous and most things short of attempted murder by the English commentators.

Had it been Maguire on Chiesa, ‘Professional foul, had to do it’.

Just Alf
12-07-2021, 05:28 PM
Was it a goal scoring opportunity, no as another 2 defenders closer to goal. Was a clear yellow and to their credit England fans online saying the same generallyTo be fair to the England fans they probably aren't trolling... :greengrin

JimBHibees
12-07-2021, 05:52 PM
It was variously described as cynical, outrageous and most things short of attempted murder by the English commentators.

Yep would have been taking one for the team. Most embarrassing was Maguire holding his face when no contact anywhere near his face.

Hibiza
12-07-2021, 08:21 PM

Yup a class foul of International standard.

Iggy Pope
12-07-2021, 09:08 PM

And had it been Lee Dixon commentating like he laid onto us ref Sterling’s blatant dive v Denmark then he’d be telling us he didn’t care. Funnily enough, me neither :na na:
It’s really Jermaine Jenas and that Halloween cake coupon of his that I wanted to see though.

Inconsequential
12-07-2021, 09:43 PM
Pulling Saka back by the neck of his shirt with both hands was blatant, shameless hard nosed brilliance. Fantastic piece of play without doubt. Totally fair considering the opposition imho. Highlight of the tournament. 😂

Haymaker
12-07-2021, 11:09 PM
I read that a CB pairing of Chiellini and Bonnuci haven't lost for Italy since November 2015?

That's ridiculous if true.

Haymaker
12-07-2021, 11:10 PM

Once signing his dad on Championship Manager.

**** me I feel old! :greengrin

cameronw-hfc
13-07-2021, 12:33 AM

Part of the thing that makes him so dangerous is that he has absolutely no clue what he's going to do with the ball before he gets it haha. Seen a bit of him and he's a bit of a mental player, all talent and attitude, lacks a considerable amount of positional play but tends to cause enough chaos it works anyway. Love watching him, people have no clue how to deal with him.