PDA

View Full Version : Jackson Irvine signs for St Pauli

ozwoody
06-07-2021, 02:20 AM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/jackson-irvine-sends-farewell-message-to-hibs-as-australia-internationalist-joins-st-pauli-3297250

blackpoolhibs
06-07-2021, 06:58 AM
That's a shock.

Onion
06-07-2021, 07:05 AM
No surprise. Glad he didn't go to one of our competitors. Definitely replaceable.

One Day
06-07-2021, 07:18 AM
No surprise. Glad he didn't go to one of our competitors. Definitely replaceable.

Very much so, didn't deliver when it mattered

superfurryhibby
06-07-2021, 08:20 AM
Lower end of the German second tier, sounds about right for his ability and ambition.

Nicho87
06-07-2021, 08:22 AM
Quite happy with this - never got the hype

For me we can and should be aiming to get technically better footballers

Since90+2
06-07-2021, 08:38 AM
Lower end of the German second tier, sounds about right for his ability and ambition.

German 2nd tier level will be at least on a par with the Scottish Premier League.

Greenio
06-07-2021, 08:58 AM
Not a fan of some of the comments people are making re JI

Just not a good look. To see fans slagging him off. And for what? Deciding he wants to play his football elsewhere?

Just makes us look like bitter and childish.

Comment on his football as much as you like. But the whole 'good riddance, no ambition, hipster etc' is nothing but sour grapes.

Go back and read 'This is how it feels...' (the most authentic and detailed account of player performance imo) and see how he contributed to our 3rd place finish.

Key West
06-07-2021, 09:05 AM
Jackson Irvine in my opinion was disappointing he came with a good pedigree and didn't lack effort but never imposed himself on games in the manner I thought he would, perhaps that was down to missing 6 months of game time.

Since452
06-07-2021, 09:13 AM

Just not a good look. To see fans slagging him off. And for what? Deciding he wants to play his football elsewhere?

Comment on his football as much as you like. But the whole 'good riddance, no ambition, hipster etc' is nothing but sour grapes.

Go back and read 'This is how it feels...' (the most authentic and detailed account of player performance imo) and see how he contributed to our 3rd place finish.

St Pauli seem a brilliant club. Germany or Scotland? No brainer really. Definitely don't hold it against him for wanting to experience that, however i did expect a bit more from him, especially in the cup final. Overall I didn't think he was poor and didn't think he was good either. In a few years time people will barely remember he played for us.

Peevemor
06-07-2021, 09:19 AM

To be fair there haven't been many folk slagging him off. Most, myself included, would have been happy enough to see him stay had he and the club managed to reach an agreement. The consensus however seems to be that he didn't show enough to be our top earner, which we're assuming would have to have been the case to keep him.

superfurryhibby
06-07-2021, 09:23 AM
German 2nd tier level will be at least on a par with the Scottish Premier League.

So, essentially it's gash?

Greenio
06-07-2021, 09:23 AM
To be fair there haven't been many folk slagging him off. Most, myself included, would have been happy enough to see him stay had he and the club managed to reach an agreement. The consensus however seems to be that he didn't show enough to be our top earner, which we're assuming would have to have been the case to keep him.

More so talking about the comments on Hibs Insta

Peevemor
06-07-2021, 09:26 AM
More so talking about the comments on Hibs Insta

Fair enough - I've never looked. :aok:

In saying that, while the likes of this place is well regulated, most other social media - Facebook, Twitter, etc. are real cess pits.

flash
06-07-2021, 09:43 AM
So, essentially it's gash?

Why bother?

superfurryhibby
06-07-2021, 10:00 AM
Why bother?

Why bother what?

I made the point that signing for a lower end of table 2nd tier German side was about right for a player with his ability, with a wee snidey comment about his skill matching his ambition. Given that in essence what I said was true, it's hardly OTT.

EI255
06-07-2021, 10:28 AM
German 2nd tier level will be at least on a par with the Scottish Premier League.Definitely not.

Bundesliga 2 is a superb league and is better than SPL. Some rich clubs in there.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
06-07-2021, 10:39 AM
Definitely not.

Bundesliga 2 is a superb league and is better than SPL. Some rich clubs in there.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

You been listening to Yogi again. We don’t have an SPL, we have a Premiership😀

Scottie
06-07-2021, 10:59 AM
Never got the hype with JI. Good luck in the future to him but glad he’s moved on if he doesn’t want to be here with us. :bye::bye:

Forza Fred
06-07-2021, 11:58 AM
He came here on a short term contract that suited both parties and his aim was to ensure he would play enough games to stay in the Socceroos WC squad, where he could put himself in the shop window.

He wasn't on huge money with Hibs, and could always earn more away from Easter road than he could by staying.

Like most pro footballers he has went where,presumably, he got the best offer....St Pauli are a big club despite being in the second teir.

I was indifferent as to whether he stayed or went.

I liked him, but over the years I have seen many, many better players leave Easter Road, and more will leave in the future...while we carry on.

Don't think he deserves a slagging for leaving though - he was always going to when his contract expired.

jacomo
06-07-2021, 12:19 PM

:agree:

Once again Hibs fans acting like they’ve been dumped by their first crush.

If you’re under 16 I’ll make allowances. Otherwise, have a word with yourselves.

superfurryhibby
06-07-2021, 12:20 PM
He came here on a short term contract that suited both parties and his aim was to ensure he would play enough games to stay in the Socceroos WC squad, where he could put himself in the shop window.

He wasn't on huge money with Hibs, and could always earn more away from Easter road than he could by staying.

Like most pro footballers he has went where,presumably, he got the best offer....St Pauli are a big club despite being in the second teir.

I was indifferent as to whether he stayed or went.

I liked him, but over the years I have seen many, many better players leave Easter Road, and more will leave in the future...while we carry on.

Don't think he deserves a slagging for leaving though - he was always going to when his contract expired.

He hadn't earned anything in the seven or eight months prior to joining HIbs, nor do I think he's particularly getting a slagging on here.

The rest is fair enough. Short term deal suited player and club, he never set the heather on fire, but he did contribute to a good campaign. Like you, I was a bit indifferent to whether he stayed at Hibs. I was also glad that he didn't join a rival in our league (more because that would be used as a stick with which to beat the club).

Stanton Spence
06-07-2021, 12:21 PM
He came to us at a time when we needed players in and short on numbers and when he came in I'm sure we went on a really good run with him and Cadden who also came in played a big part in that run
Irvine then looked tired and leggy no doubt down to not playing for such a long time
We didn't get the chance to see him fully fit and on the top of his game and I'm positive he would have been a shrewd signing this year

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

SChibs
06-07-2021, 12:50 PM
Some of the comments on social media are just baffling. He didn't set the Heather alight but nor was he bad either. Came in, done a job without being spectacular and helped us get 3rd. Win win for both clubs I suppose. Although I feel we could do a bit better if our recruitment is spot on, we could also do much worse than Irvine if we don't get it right.

CMurdoch
06-07-2021, 12:55 PM
As per Rocky, a good move for Irvine.
Both on much higher wages now than we could afford so good on them.
Irvine was never going to another team in our league with at best sideways moves available to him so it was always going to be a new contract at Hibs or leaving Scotland. He has spent his football life far from home and German football will be a new and exciting chapter for him. New league, new language, new culture.
Good guy who did his best and contributed for Hibs throughout his short contract. Helped us finish 3rd and was value for money.
Shame we couldn't keep him until January so that we could all see him play.
Good luck to the guy.

makaveli1875
06-07-2021, 01:00 PM
Cant say im gutted , he came with a good reputation and didnt live up to it .

easty
06-07-2021, 01:40 PM
Some of the comments on social media are just baffling. He didn't set the Heather alight but nor was he bad either. Came in, done a job without being spectacular and helped us get 3rd. Win win for both clubs I suppose. Although I feel we could do a bit better if our recruitment is spot on, we could also do much worse than Irvine if we don't get it right.

It's just typical of the internet nowadays.

We sign Nisbet for £200k(ish), he has a good season, international caps, teams sniffing about for £4m apparently...but according to the some people online, he's crap, overrated, easily replaced.

silverhibee
06-07-2021, 03:21 PM
It's just typical of the internet nowadays.

We sign Nisbet for £200k(ish), he has a good season, international caps, teams sniffing about for £4m apparently...but according to the some people online, he's crap, overrated, easily replaced.

And can’t wait to get shot of him for some reason.

Perd Hapley
06-07-2021, 04:32 PM

And can’t wait to get shot of him for some reason.

I think his antics in January may have coloured perceptions of many in that regard.

Or maybe I'm just describing myself lol

blackpoolhibs
06-07-2021, 04:56 PM
I'd have liked him to stay, although he would have been travelling away a lot for the national team, and having Boyle away too might have weakened us a fair bit.

Alfred E Newman
06-07-2021, 06:52 PM
Very much so, didn't deliver when it mattered

Didn't deliver, full stop.