PDA

View Full Version : Cathro

gbhibby
03-07-2021, 12:10 PM
See he has got a job at Spurs, Nuno must rate him.

Bostonhibby
03-07-2021, 12:13 PM
Some kind of interpreter?

Translates english into absolute drivel? Or he could be in charge of their goalposts department.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
03-07-2021, 12:16 PM
Pretty obvious he is a good coach.

Bishop Hibee
03-07-2021, 12:17 PM
My joint favourite Hertz manager with Tony Ford. The Dalry Llama’s utterances are the stuff of legend :greengrin

Bostonhibby
03-07-2021, 12:18 PM
Pretty obvious he is a good coach.Joking aside, he is well thought of and seems to do well, Hearts aside obviously.

I especially liked him in Father Ted[emoji6]

BlackSheep
03-07-2021, 12:28 PM
It’s pretty clear that Cathro wasn’t the problem at hearts during his time there.

B.H.F.C
03-07-2021, 01:02 PM
It’s pretty clear that Cathro wasn’t the problem at hearts during his time there.

Got to disagree with that. He must have his qualities as a coach given the jobs he’s had since (and before to be fair) but he was never cut out to be the main man when he and all the ‘non coaching’ things that went with it.

Peevemor
03-07-2021, 01:06 PM
Got to disagree with that. He must have his qualities as a coach given the jobs he’s had since, but he was never cut out to be the main man when he and all the ‘non coaching’ things that went with it.Someone who becomes a manager despite never having played to a (relatively) decent level needs a certain amount of charisma and presence to pull it off - something that Cathro obviously doesn't have.

Is It On....
03-07-2021, 01:07 PM
My joint favourite Hertz manager with Tony Ford. The Dalry Llama’s utterances are the stuff of legend :greengrin

Dalry Llama 😂

GonzoReturns
03-07-2021, 01:10 PM
He had Harry Potter telling what yo do who to pick etc interesting to see where the two have ended up.....

He gave us some great memories 😂

KeithTheHibby
03-07-2021, 01:21 PM
He was out of his depth as manager but clearly is a good coach. Good luck to the guy, he was pretty harmless as manager of the jambos.

wookie70
03-07-2021, 01:24 PM
Got to disagree with that. He must have his qualities as a coach given the jobs he’s had since (and before to be fair) but he was never cut out to be the main man when he and all the ‘non coaching’ things that went with it.

Not convinced he was the main man at Hearts and was probably undermined by Levein.

bigwheel
03-07-2021, 01:33 PM
Got to disagree with that. He must have his qualities as a coach given the jobs he’s had since, but he was never cut out to be the main man when he and all the ‘non coaching’ things that went with it.

Yep. Suspect he is an excellent coach , but not a good man manager …

Since452
04-07-2021, 06:27 PM
Good guy to have in the background by all accounts. Didn't think I'd ever feel sorry for a Hearts manager but I did for him in the end. That Raith Rovers interview 🤦

HibbyAndy
04-07-2021, 06:31 PM
Good guy to have in the background by all accounts. Didn't think I'd ever feel sorry for a Hearts manager but I did for him in the end. That Raith Rovers interview 🤦

I'd never EVER feel sorry for a Hearts manager , Why the hell should you ?

The raith Rovers interview where they drew but he said 'We just need to beat them again ' Thicko springs to mind

Since452
04-07-2021, 06:41 PM
I'd never EVER feel sorry for a Hearts manager , Why the hell should you ?

The raith Rovers interview where they drew but he said 'We just need to beat them again ' Thicko springs to mind

Didn't like watching the man make a complete fool of himself so publicly to be honest. Was completely out of his depth infront of the media. Had no prior links to them so found it easier to feel a bit sorry for him.

Northernhibee
04-07-2021, 07:30 PM
Didn't like watching the man make a complete fool of himself so publicly to be honest. Was completely out of his depth infront of the media. Had no prior links to them so found it easier to feel a bit sorry for him.

It’s OK.

1875godsgift
04-07-2021, 07:52 PM

:agree:

It was goalposts - if we just got rid off them he'd still be at hearts now.

matty_f
04-07-2021, 08:06 PM
It’s OK.

Situation, what situation?

Bostonhibby
04-07-2021, 08:08 PM
:agree:

It was goalposts - if we just got rid off them he'd still be at hearts now.Yep, think the problem was that we now know that they already had someone who knew everything about how to be successful in football in Mrs Doctor Budge.

At the same time they were desperately looking to overspend their way to relegation and Father Dougal probably wasnt needed to do that.

They already had Levein in situ to begin the job and in Desperate Dan they found a man with the track record to take them down, ably supported by levein as part time something or other.

Father Dougal could have stayed as Budges media spokesperson.

bod
04-07-2021, 08:16 PM
Good luck to the guy

Northernhibee
04-07-2021, 08:23 PM
Situation, what situation?

Schematics.

SChibs
04-07-2021, 08:35 PM
Nothing against him to be honest. He is clearly talented at what he does but just not cut out to be a manager. Chucked in at the deep end by Hearts and it showed.

Centre Hawf
05-07-2021, 07:08 AM
The Cathro era was probably the pinnacle of what has been wrong at Hearts since they first won the Championship. Too much influence from people who were useless that didn't help a young manager in his big break in the dugout. Was he too young for it? Maybe.

I'm sure he's learnt a lot from his time at Hearts and would be able to make a better go of it if he ever did go back into it again. But that being said why would you bother putting yourself in that situation again when folk like Nuno will take you to places like Wolves and Spurs. I think even Rafa likes him too. Just do what you're good at and save yourself the grief mate.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-07-2021, 09:59 AM
The Cathro era was probably the pinnacle of what has been wrong at Hearts since they first won the Championship. Too much influence from people who were useless that didn't help a young manager in his big break in the dugout. Was he too young for it? Maybe.

I'm sure he's learnt a lot from his time at Hearts and would be able to make a better go of it if he ever did go back into it again. But that being said why would you bother putting yourself in that situation again when folk like Nuno will take you to places like Wolves and Spurs. I think even Rafa likes him too. Just do what you're good at and save yourself the grief mate.

In all seriousness, I would suggest if he wants to go into management he heads to Portugal - there and in his second language I think he'd come across better.

I'd be fairly confident he'll never be a manager in Scotland. Is that a reflection on us or him or a bit of both?

bigwheel
05-07-2021, 10:25 AM
In all seriousness, I would suggest if he wants to go into management he heads to Portugal - there and in his second language I think he'd come across better.

I'd be fairly confident he'll never be a manager in Scotland. Is that a reflection on us or him or a bit of both?

I think it’s about him …being a coach is a different skillset from being a head coach / manager …it seems he is great technically. But there seems to be less evidence he can lead a group of players ….

Viva_Palmeiras
05-07-2021, 11:09 AM
I think it’s about him …being a coach is a different skillset from being a head coach / manager …it seems he is great technically. But there seems to be less evidence he can lead a group of players ….

it was a painful watch. As was “our Daniel”.

How on Earth was that not uncovered within 3-5 minutes of speaking with them?

jacomo
05-07-2021, 01:05 PM
it was a painful watch. As was “our Daniel”.

How on Earth was that not uncovered within 3-5 minutes of speaking with them?

Dr Mrs Millionaire Successful Businesswoman Budge has a keen eye for talent.

Highwayman
05-07-2021, 01:15 PM
A Dundee United supporter I know was on holiday at St Andrews a few years ago.
United held a pre season open day at a pitch where the guy went to watch.
Cathro who was a youth coach at Tannadice at the time took one of the coaching sessions.
On one side of my acquaintance was a guy with a top which had on it an SFA coaching badge and he scoffed and sneered and said Scottish players would never accept what Cathro was doing.
On the other side was a Dutch coach who took the opposite view and said that Dutch players would have loved that session.
Maybe it’s just a Scottish thing.

HoboHarry
05-07-2021, 01:21 PM
A Dundee United supporter I know was on holiday at St Andrews a few years ago.
United held a pre season open day at a pitch where the guy went to watch.
Cathro who was a youth coach at Tannadice at the time took one of the coaching sessions.
On one side of my acquaintance was a guy with a top which had on it an SFA coaching badge and he scoffed and sneered and said Scottish players would never accept what Cathro was doing.
On the other side was a Dutch coach who took the opposite view and said that Dutch players would have loved that session.
Maybe it’s just a Scottish thing.
Maybe a good reason why we only qualify for major tournaments every 20 something years too.....

Northernhibee
05-07-2021, 02:01 PM
Much as I like to take the piss, if he had been in the setup that Alan Stubbs was in with a more experienced #2 I think he would be decent at a well run club. Let someone else be the talker and let him do the technical and tactical side.

Play him to his strengths and he’s clearly a very talented bloke. He was left so exposed at Hearts.

Peevemor
05-07-2021, 02:12 PM
Much as I like to take the piss, if he had been in the setup that Alan Stubbs was in with a more experienced #2 I think he would be decent at a well run club. Let someone else be the talker and let him do the technical and tactical side.

Play him to his strengths and he’s clearly a very talented bloke. He was left so exposed at Hearts.

I'm not sure Cathro has the character to get the best out of the likes of Cummings or Boyle.

Since452
05-07-2021, 02:13 PM

He was hung out to dry and used as a smoke screen for Budge and Levein's humongous incompetence in the most publicly humiliating way. I'd like to think our club would show someone like that a bit more support. Was clear for everyone to see he was a bag of nerves in front of the media. In fairness, to be a manager/head coach or whatever, you need to be able to hold yourself together in front of the media and Cathro couldn't. Compare him to how relaxed and articulate Jack Ross is in the media for example. Cathro had absolutely no presence about him. As much Budge and Levein's fault for hiring him as manager as anything else. Having Nanny McPhee beside him in the dugout didn't help. More poor judgement. Good luck to the guy though. Like you say, obviously a talented chap.

blackpoolhibs
05-07-2021, 02:24 PM
He can put a good training session on, thats him, he's good at putting cones out. That yorkshire ripper was apparently a decent lorry driver.

When both deviated from what they were good at, all sorts of problems occurred.

overdrive
05-07-2021, 03:39 PM
He can put a good training session on, thats him, he's good at putting cones out. That yorkshire ripper was apparently a decent lorry driver.

When both deviated from what they were good at, all sorts of problems occurred.

:faf:

gbhibby
05-07-2021, 04:04 PM
It's interesting when you look at successful teams. Fergie would change his assistant every 2 or 3 years to keep things fresh. Liverpool had the boot room culture. Clough was not as successful without Taylor. There is a lot more sports science nowadays and Cathro is one of its exponents. Sometimes you can have too much information for what is a simple game,and you are in danger of the game becoming too sterile.

HoboHarry
06-07-2021, 02:33 AM
We, and the "experts" like Kris Boyd, can laugh at Cathro all we want, it won't change the fact that he is coaching at a high profile club and is likely to continue to do so for many years to come. Meanwhile, morons like the aforementioned Boyd will continue to get air time to expound their deep knowledge of all things Scottish football. That's one of the real problems......

Haymaker
06-07-2021, 03:08 AM

Cathro is a #2 (no s******ing at the back). He's never a head coach or manager.

That's no slight on him, he's good at what he does. Which isn't head management.