PDA

View Full Version : Away goals rule to be scrapped

Scouse Hibee
24-06-2021, 01:27 PM
From next season in all UEFA competitions.

JimBHibees
24-06-2021, 01:43 PM

For what reason?

Diclonius
24-06-2021, 01:48 PM
For what reason?

More extra time means more advertising money. That won't be the official reason though.

Ringothedog
24-06-2021, 01:55 PM
More extra time means more advertising money. That won't be the official reason though.

Does it? I personally dislike the away goals rule but if it had been in place in the early 60’s we would have made a European final.

Peevemor
24-06-2021, 01:55 PM
If ever there was something that didn't need fixing... :rolleyes:

Scouse Hibee
24-06-2021, 01:58 PM
For what reason?

Not sure, it’s the headline on SSN.

Stuart93
24-06-2021, 02:10 PM
I actually think it’s a good idea.

I seen supposedly statistically will help Scottish clubs. 40 ties involving Scottish clubs with the away goal rule has seen 30 defeats and 10 wins because of it.

Peevemor
24-06-2021, 02:19 PM
I actually think it’s a good idea.

I seen supposedly statistically will help Scottish clubs. 40 ties involving Scottish clubs with the away goal rule has seen 30 defeats and 10 wins because of it.

It's probably more likely that the winning teams were simply better in the majority of ties.

Without a doubt the away goals rule influences how clubs set themselves up for matches, and there's nothing to say that the ratio of defeats to wins would have been much different without the rule.

CockneyRebel
24-06-2021, 02:24 PM

I think it was brought in to deter teams from using the away leg as a bus parking exercise. There were an awful lot of nil nil draws back in the day and if you played the first leg away and got nil nil that was looked upon as a really good result. It resulted in quite a few boring games and the away goal rule encouraged the away team to go for goals.

Stuart93
24-06-2021, 02:28 PM
It's probably more likely that the winning teams were simply better in the majority of ties.

Without a doubt the away goals rule influences how clubs set themselves up for matches, and there's nothing to say that the ratio of defeats to wins would have been much different without the rule.

Na potentially not but if it wasn’t for the away goals rule the games would’ve ended in a draw and went to extra time, certainly giving the sides in question a better chance

nonshinyfinish
24-06-2021, 02:33 PM
Na potentially not but if it wasn’t for the away goals rule the games would’ve ended in a draw and went to extra time, certainly giving the sides in question a better chance

Some of them certainly would, but it's not as simple as that. Teams going through on away goals as it stands are less motivated to push for another goal, so the games would have played out differently under different rules.

Peevemor
24-06-2021, 02:33 PM

We don't know that though, given that teams play differently under the rule knowing that a draw will/won't be enough to take them through.

Hibernia&Alba
24-06-2021, 02:40 PM
I like the away goals rule, as teams are rewarded for achieving the better result in the away stadium. It will be interesting to see what difference scrapping away goals will make.

danhibees1875
24-06-2021, 02:43 PM
I'm not sure it warranted any action - I wasn't even aware of anyone having any problem with the rule in place.

If I was starting again from square 1 though I'd probably not bother with the away goals rule being a thing.

MWHIBBIES
24-06-2021, 02:45 PM
Probably a good thing. Will make for more exciting games IMO, not away goal and defend.

Also think having potentially 30 extra minutes to score an away goal was a bit bull****. 0-0 after 180 minutes, concede and suddenly need 2 goals?

Peevemor
24-06-2021, 02:45 PM
I like the away goals rule, as teams are rewarded for achieving the better result in the away stadium. It will be interesting to see what difference scrapping away goals will make.

Same here.

ancient hibee
24-06-2021, 02:49 PM
I suppose one reason is that it is silly for a home team to be better off drawing 0-0 than any score draw.Maybe it will up the entertainment.

MWHIBBIES
24-06-2021, 02:51 PM
I suppose one reason is that it is silly for a home team to be better off drawing 0-0 than any score draw.Maybe it will up the entertainment.

Indeed. And winning 2-1 was much worse than winning 1-0.

Stuart93
24-06-2021, 02:53 PM
We don't know that though, given that teams play differently under the rule knowing that a draw will/won't be enough to take them through.

Aye could be right with that

A big reason, for me, why it’s a good idea

Argylehibby
24-06-2021, 02:54 PM
I think it was brought in to deter teams from using the away leg as a bus parking exercise. There were an awful lot of nil nil draws back in the day and if you played the first leg away and got nil nil that was looked upon as a really good result. It resulted in quite a few boring games and the away goal rule encouraged the away team to go for goals.

Yeah that was my thoughts on why it was brought in. The only change that was needed would have been to remove away goals once into extra time.

ancient hibee
24-06-2021, 02:54 PM
Indeed. And winning 2-1 was much worse than winning 1-0.

Good point.

brog
24-06-2021, 03:04 PM
Assuming we still have 30 mins ET & pens then the team drawn at home in 2nd leg should now have a much bigger advantage. Presumably many more games will now go to ET giving home team in 2nd leg an extra 33% playing time at home. It will be interesting though!

weecounty hibby
24-06-2021, 03:27 PM
Can't be bothered nor technically skilled enough to link or copy etc but the Uefa statement on it is pretty clear and actually makes sense. Surprising as that may sound to most

Peevemor
24-06-2021, 03:30 PM
Can't be bothered nor technically skilled enough to link or copy etc but the Uefa statement on it is pretty clear and actually makes sense. Surprising as that may sound to most

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/mediaservices/mediareleases/news/026a-1298aeb73a7a-5b64cb68d920-1000--abolition-of-the-away-goals-rule-in-all-uefa-club-competitions/

Following the recommendation of the UEFA Club Competitions Committee and the UEFA Women’s Football Committee, the UEFA Executive Committee has today approved a proposal to remove the so-called away goals rule from all UEFA club competitions (men, women and youth) as of the qualifying phases of the 2021/22 competitions.

The away goals rule was applied to determine the winner of a two-legged knockout tie in cases where the two teams had scored the same number of goals on aggregate over the two matches. In such cases, the team which had scored the higher number of goals away from home was considered the winner of the tie and qualified for the next round of the competition. If the two teams had scored the same number of goals at home and away at the end of normal playing time in the second leg, extra time was played, followed by kicks from the penalty mark if no goal was scored.

With the decision to remove this rule, ties in which the two teams score the same number of goals over the two legs would be not decided on the number of goals scored away, but two 15-minute periods of extra time are played at the end of the second leg and in case the teams score the same number of goals or no goals during this extra time, kicks from the penalty mark would determine the team which qualifies to the next stage of the competition.

Since away goals would no longer be given additional weight to decide a tie, they would also be removed from the criteria used to determine the rankings when two or more teams are equal on points in the group stage i.e. the criteria applied to matches played by the teams in question. They would not be removed from the additional criteria applied to all group matches if the teams remain equal (higher number of away goals scored in all group matches), in order to retain a maximum number of sporting criteria.

Statistics from the mid-1970s until now show a clear trend of continuous reduction in the gap between the number of home/away wins (from 61%/19% to 47%/30%) and the average number of goals per match scored at home/away (from 2.02/0.95 to 1.58/1.15) in men’s competitions, whereas since 2009/10, the average goals per game have remained very steady in the UEFA Women’s Champions League with the overall average of 1.92 for home teams and 1.6 for away teams.

Many different factors may be considered as having an impact on this decline in home advantage. Better pitch quality and standardised pitch sizes, improved stadium infrastructure, higher security conditions, enhanced care of refereeing (and more recently the introduction of technological support such as GLT and VAR), wider and more sophisticated TV coverage of matches, more comfortable travel conditions, a compressed calendar dictating squad turnover, and changes in competition formats are all elements which have affected the way football is played and blurred the lines between playing at home and away.

Commenting on the abolishment of the away goals rule, UEFA President Aleksander Čeferin said:

“The away goals rule has been an intrinsic part of UEFA competitions since it was introduced in 1965. However, the question of its abolition has been debated at various UEFA meetings over the last few years. Although there was no unanimity of views, many coaches, fans and other football stakeholders have questioned its fairness and have expressed a preference for the rule to be abolished.”

Mr Čeferin added: “The impact of the rule now runs counter to its original purpose as, in fact, it now dissuades home teams – especially in first legs – from attacking, because they fear conceding a goal that would give their opponents a crucial advantage. There is also criticism of the unfairness, especially in extra time, of obliging the home team to score twice when the away team has scored.”

“It is fair to say that home advantage is nowadays no longer as significant as it once was,“ the UEFA President concluded. “Taking into consideration the consistency across Europe in terms of styles of play, and many different factors which have led to a decline in home advantage, the UEFA Executive Committee has taken the correct decision in adopting the view that it is no longer appropriate for an away goal to carry more weight than one scored at home.”

weecounty hibby
24-06-2021, 03:45 PM
https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/mediaservices/mediareleases/news/026a-1298aeb73a7a-5b64cb68d920-1000--abolition-of-the-away-goals-rule-in-all-uefa-club-competitions/

Following the recommendation of the UEFA Club Competitions Committee and the UEFA Women’s Football Committee, the UEFA Executive Committee has today approved a proposal to remove the so-called away goals rule from all UEFA club competitions (men, women and youth) as of the qualifying phases of the 2021/22 competitions.

The away goals rule was applied to determine the winner of a two-legged knockout tie in cases where the two teams had scored the same number of goals on aggregate over the two matches. In such cases, the team which had scored the higher number of goals away from home was considered the winner of the tie and qualified for the next round of the competition. If the two teams had scored the same number of goals at home and away at the end of normal playing time in the second leg, extra time was played, followed by kicks from the penalty mark if no goal was scored.

With the decision to remove this rule, ties in which the two teams score the same number of goals over the two legs would be not decided on the number of goals scored away, but two 15-minute periods of extra time are played at the end of the second leg and in case the teams score the same number of goals or no goals during this extra time, kicks from the penalty mark would determine the team which qualifies to the next stage of the competition.

Since away goals would no longer be given additional weight to decide a tie, they would also be removed from the criteria used to determine the rankings when two or more teams are equal on points in the group stage i.e. the criteria applied to matches played by the teams in question. They would not be removed from the additional criteria applied to all group matches if the teams remain equal (higher number of away goals scored in all group matches), in order to retain a maximum number of sporting criteria.

Statistics from the mid-1970s until now show a clear trend of continuous reduction in the gap between the number of home/away wins (from 61%/19% to 47%/30%) and the average number of goals per match scored at home/away (from 2.02/0.95 to 1.58/1.15) in men’s competitions, whereas since 2009/10, the average goals per game have remained very steady in the UEFA Women’s Champions League with the overall average of 1.92 for home teams and 1.6 for away teams.

Many different factors may be considered as having an impact on this decline in home advantage. Better pitch quality and standardised pitch sizes, improved stadium infrastructure, higher security conditions, enhanced care of refereeing (and more recently the introduction of technological support such as GLT and VAR), wider and more sophisticated TV coverage of matches, more comfortable travel conditions, a compressed calendar dictating squad turnover, and changes in competition formats are all elements which have affected the way football is played and blurred the lines between playing at home and away.

Commenting on the abolishment of the away goals rule, UEFA President Aleksander Čeferin said:

“The away goals rule has been an intrinsic part of UEFA competitions since it was introduced in 1965. However, the question of its abolition has been debated at various UEFA meetings over the last few years. Although there was no unanimity of views, many coaches, fans and other football stakeholders have questioned its fairness and have expressed a preference for the rule to be abolished.”

Mr Čeferin added: “The impact of the rule now runs counter to its original purpose as, in fact, it now dissuades home teams – especially in first legs – from attacking, because they fear conceding a goal that would give their opponents a crucial advantage. There is also criticism of the unfairness, especially in extra time, of obliging the home team to score twice when the away team has scored.”

“It is fair to say that home advantage is nowadays no longer as significant as it once was,“ the UEFA President concluded. “Taking into consideration the consistency across Europe in terms of styles of play, and many different factors which have led to a decline in home advantage, the UEFA Executive Committee has taken the correct decision in adopting the view that it is no longer appropriate for an away goal to carry more weight than one scored at home.”

That us some kind of wizardry you performed there!!

The Harp
24-06-2021, 03:52 PM
Aulder Hibees will remember back in '60/61, we would've made it to the Fairs Cup Final if the away goals rule had been on the go. 2-2 at Easter Road and 3-3 in Rome would've meant no deciding game required.

BILLYHIBS
24-06-2021, 04:21 PM
Aulder Hibees will remember back in '60/61, we would've made it to the Fairs Cup Final if the away goals rule had been on the go. 2-2 at Easter Road and 3-3 in Rome would've meant no deciding game required.
To play Bertie Auld’s Birmingham City in a ‘ Battle of Britain’ winner takes all two legged showdown in the Final IIRC

vercol36
24-06-2021, 04:44 PM
If the away goals rule was brought in to stop boring games, then it didn't work very well...an awful lot of eye-bleedery in Europa League and Champions League. Especially when it's the big corporate teams playing each other.

Peevemor
24-06-2021, 04:49 PM
If the away goals rule was brought in to stop boring games, then it didn't work very well...an awful lot of eye-bleedery in Europa League and Champions League. Especially when it's the big corporate teams playing each other.Away goals only applies to knockout stages, not league games.

The Champion's League became far less interesting when they expanded the group/league part.

HendoDelivered
24-06-2021, 05:20 PM
Uefa sucking the entertainment slowly but surely from Football.

brianmc
24-06-2021, 07:04 PM
No thought for the fans attending the games as per usual.
Makes the logistics of trying to book post match trains/flights/ferries or whatever if you don't know when the game will finish.
Great for generating extra TV advertising slots though I'm sure.

MWHIBBIES
24-06-2021, 07:08 PM
Makes the logistics of trying to book post match trains/flights/ferries or whatever if you don't know when the game will finish.

I have no idea what the away goals rule has to do with ferries

Andy74
24-06-2021, 07:09 PM

Eh?

CropleyWasGod
24-06-2021, 07:21 PM

There's extra time in games just now.

brianmc
24-06-2021, 07:46 PM
I take it back.
Great idea. Well done uefa 👍

CMurdoch
24-06-2021, 07:56 PM
Assuming we still have 30 mins ET & pens then the team drawn at home in 2nd leg should now have a much bigger advantage. Presumably many more games will now go to ET giving home team in 2nd leg an extra 33% playing time at home. It will be interesting though!

UEFA usually make rule changes to make it harder for the seeded teams to get knocked out.
Given the seeded team usually play the 2nd leg at home is this another example?

RyeSloan
25-06-2021, 08:53 AM
Think this is a good move.

The away goals rule hugely impacted games and teams approach to them.

It might have been useful back in the day to counter home bias from referees etc. but the UEFA statement makes a lot of sense and I think I agree with them that it was time for this rule to be binned.

Geo_1875
27-06-2021, 12:31 PM
I see penalty kicks have been replaced with "kicks from the penalty mark" as well.

Peevemor
27-06-2021, 12:37 PM
I see penalty kicks have been replaced with "kicks from the penalty mark" as well.In France, penalty deciders at the end of a match have never been called "penalties" but "tirs au but"- shots at goal.

nonshinyfinish
27-06-2021, 02:53 PM
I see penalty kicks have been replaced with "kicks from the penalty mark" as well.

Is that actually a change? I thought that terminology had been used for ages.

AliboyFC
27-06-2021, 03:29 PM
Personally I don't really care the away goals are getting removed because games will more exciting with ET and I don't think it is a very fair rule tbh.