PDA

View Full Version : Worst Pundit?

Key West
19-06-2021, 09:36 PM
Danny Murphy must give everybody else a wee shot of confidence, what a lot of drivel tonight?

lugz
19-06-2021, 09:39 PM
No sure if it counts but Lee Dixon is just as bad.

JimBHibees
19-06-2021, 09:39 PM
Danny Murphy must give everybody else a wee shot of confidence, what a lot of drivel tonight?

Agree atrocious no real analysis and what seems little knowledge of players or football in general. Trying to be the new Mark Lawrenson.

Key West
19-06-2021, 09:48 PM
Agree atrocious no real analysis and what seems little knowledge of players or football in general. Trying to be the new Mark Lawrenson.

Obviously not a football purist, praising good fouls and time wasting. An English version of Victor Meldrew or Davie Provan.

Hibee Mac
19-06-2021, 09:55 PM
There's a lot of tired old pundits just now. Surely they can find better

Just_Jimmy
19-06-2021, 09:57 PM
Dixon last night was grim. Murphy is the worst.

paid to watch football and yet you'd think he was at a wake.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Since452
19-06-2021, 09:57 PM
Emma Hayes. No idea who she is but she's awful

JohnM1875
19-06-2021, 10:01 PM
Majority of them are rank and not required. Just have a commentator, most folk make up their own opinions on a match anyway. Don't need an ex pro trotting out the same old clichés

Jim44
19-06-2021, 10:10 PM
Ian Wright is a sad barsteward. I think he has problems. Apologies if I have hit a raw spot.

RyeSloan
19-06-2021, 10:10 PM
Majority of them are rank and not required. Just have a commentator, most folk make up their own opinions on a match anyway. Don't need an ex pro trotting out the same old clichés

Not so sure. The commentary can be helped with some back n forth discussion on the game and when done well, works well. Hence why almost all live football has more than a single commentator.

It falls down though when you get total droning kill joys like Murphy. Awful, absolutely awful tonight. And the latest in a long list of awful nights from him.

Honorary mention in the awful league goes to whoever was the summariser on STV last night…he was so bad I had to flip to ITV!

JohnM1875
19-06-2021, 10:30 PM
Not so sure. The commentary can be helped with some back n forth discussion on the game and when done well, works well. Hence why almost all live football has more than a single commentator.

It falls down though when you get total droning kill joys like Murphy. Awful, absolutely awful tonight. And the latest in a long list of awful nights from him.

Honorary mention in the awful league goes to whoever was the summariser on STV last night…he was so bad I had to flip to ITV!

Haha fair enough! Didn't actually catch the game and Murphy's performance tonight, seems I'm lucky on that front though!

Seen quite a few Spanish games when it's just a commentator and he does a grand job explaining the game and providing wee stats when required.

Jenas is another one, absolutely rank!

19-06-2021, 10:34 PM
I hate them all but their tears yesterday were so enjoyable it’s worth it.

It’s exactly the same when they get horsed out by some perceived lesser country. It’s beautiful watching their arrogance come back to bite them.

BILLYHIBS
19-06-2021, 10:54 PM
TBF

Rio Ferdinand apologised

He got carried away

It’s no coming home

:greengrin

The Baldmans Comb
19-06-2021, 10:56 PM
There was lots of backtracking tonight on the English TV channels after Ferdinands very untypical patronising arrogance yesterday but it was more fun watching that big fat guy with a beard doing nothing else but interrupt Klinsman and Ferdinand and adding nothing.

No idea who he was or why he was there but even the excellent Lineker looked frustrated.

hibsbollah
19-06-2021, 11:13 PM
Northstandhibby.

J-C
19-06-2021, 11:33 PM
Murphy said tonight that the penalty wasn't one and not even a free kick even though the defender stepped on the guys ankle, embarrassing.

HFC93
20-06-2021, 12:30 AM
Ian Wright is awful. Rarely adds anything of interest.

CapitalGreen
20-06-2021, 06:48 AM
What did I miss? 😂

Betty Boop
20-06-2021, 07:21 AM
Scott Brown

Since90+2
20-06-2021, 07:28 AM
Kris Boyd without a doubt.

Gmack7
20-06-2021, 07:31 AM
No that keen on Kevin Gallagher either

superfurryhibby
20-06-2021, 07:33 AM
What did I miss? 😂

Damn, you go to bed and all hell breaks loose on Hibs.Net.

C'mon peeps, can we not air our petty grievances and vendettas at a reasonable hour? Some of us have to sleep regular hours and miss all the fun.

HibbyAndy
20-06-2021, 07:54 AM
Mark Lawrenson

What do i win ?

Iain G
20-06-2021, 08:07 AM
Glenn Hoddle is awful and so un-insightful considering his experiences in the game

Cat Stanton
20-06-2021, 08:09 AM

You're right. Had never heard of her either - she's apparently manager of Chelsea Ladies - but she was on ITV last night and was dreadful. Very Little Englander clichés - said she couldn't bring herself to say anything positive anout Germany, ever. Well, thanks for that intelligent insight. Idiot.

Sylar
20-06-2021, 08:14 AM
Mark Lawrenson

What do i win ?

A swift kick in the baws for reminding me of the man’s existence! Thankfully he’s not active anymore (or I’ve not heard him in a few years anyway).

7Hero
20-06-2021, 08:27 AM
Levein , end of....

J-C
20-06-2021, 08:34 AM
You're right. Had never heard of her either - she's apparently manager of Chelsea Ladies - but she was on ITV last night and was dreadful. Very Little Englander clichés - said she couldn't bring herself to say anything positive anout Germany, ever. Well, thanks for that intelligent insight. Idiot.

Is that who she is, I was channel hopping and caught a couple of minutes of her, terrible pundit.

Key West
20-06-2021, 08:51 AM

Exactly. Who is on the ball would be a good start, I couldn't recite the Slovakian team.

ronaldo7
20-06-2021, 08:55 AM
Martin Keown.

Highwayman
20-06-2021, 08:55 AM
Easy solution.

Put the television on as near to the start as possible.

Mute the commentator and pundit.

Put the television off at the end of the game.

Go to bed and sleep without bitterness about pundits etc.

Simples !!!

heretoday
20-06-2021, 08:56 AM
They're all terrible. Bring back Crampsey and Montford.

ekhibee
20-06-2021, 09:29 AM
There was lots of backtracking tonight on the English TV channels after Ferdinands very untypical patronising arrogance yesterday but it was more fun watching that big fat guy with a beard doing nothing else but interrupt Klinsman and Ferdinand and adding nothing.

No idea who he was or why he was there but even the excellent Lineker looked frustrated.

Micah Richards, he was a cracking player for Man City and Villa, got 12 or 13 England caps too. Retired at 31. I actually agreed with everything he said about Scotland v England.

ben johnson
20-06-2021, 09:31 AM
Hard to beat Charlie Nicholas when he first started out
He told a rather bemused Archie McPherson that Lambert calms the midfield ratios.

hibsbollah
20-06-2021, 09:35 AM

She’s one of the best IMO. Tactically very knowledgeable.

Brightside
20-06-2021, 09:41 AM
Emma Hayes is the best pundit we have on tv now. Excellent. Wipes the floor with anyone else currently broadcasting.

BILLYHIBS
20-06-2021, 09:42 AM
Pretty sure I heard a commentator say “ Up go the heads” last week

Quality

Since90+2
20-06-2021, 09:50 AM
Emma Hayes is brutal.

.Sean.
20-06-2021, 09:52 AM
Jermaine Jeans, not even the worst pundit he’s the most boring person on the tele full stop. Dull as dirty Sunday morning toilet bowl water

Shelley Kerr is awful aswell

Brightside
20-06-2021, 09:54 AM
Emma Hayes is brutal.

I’d suggest you really aren’t interested in the tactical elements of football if you really think that. Smart, insightful, points out everything that tactically is effecting a game. Everything I want in a co-comm. The others struggle to even name half the players.

Since90+2
20-06-2021, 09:55 AM
I’d suggest you really aren’t interested in the tactical elements of football if you really think that. Smart, insightful, points out everything that tactically is effecting a game. Everything I want in a co-comm. The others struggle to even name half the players.

I'd suggest you're talking nonsense.

MWHIBBIES
20-06-2021, 09:56 AM

Hes not imo. She is very well respected in the game and has given a lot of good insights so far.

Dalianwanda
20-06-2021, 09:57 AM
From the small bit of Scottish coverage Ive caught Shelley Kerr is terrible...Its maybe just me but she always looks a bit aggressive as well, Id be slightly scared of her in the same room.

Ian Wright is hopeless, I really thoguht he was going to cry on Friday.

On the flip side I loved how animated & excited Sounness was about the Scotland performance but at half time & afterwards. It was great to see someone normally so measured almost lose the run of himself backing is country.

Since90+2
20-06-2021, 10:01 AM
Hes not imo. She is very well respected in the game and has given a lot of good insights so far.

Not for me. Seems very much captain obvious in her style.

Each to their own though, she's not as bad as Kris Boyd I'll give her that.

Brightside
20-06-2021, 10:01 AM

I’d suggest I’m in the large majority on this one.

Brightside
20-06-2021, 10:02 AM
Not for me. Seems very much captain obvious in her style.

Each to their own though, she's not as bad as Kris Boyd I'll give her that.

Emma Hayes: ‘Poland have moved their midfield line forward 10 yards allowing them to dominate 2nd phases of play, Slovakia’s AMIDs now have a large gap to cover in transitions putting pressure on the team, Lewandowski has to cover the pivot.’

Danny Murphy: ‘He kick ball hard!’

hibsbollah
20-06-2021, 10:03 AM

That’s a bit rude. I totally agree with him as do others, she’s knowledgeable and communicates her point well.

Crunchie
20-06-2021, 10:12 AM
No that keen on Kevin Gallagher either

I didn’t know who it was but he caught my attention when he said mobileness 😂

EI255
20-06-2021, 10:14 AM
Danny Murphy must give everybody else a wee shot of confidence, what a lot of drivel tonight?Agreed. Not only THAT accent, but he's just boring.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
20-06-2021, 10:15 AM

Did she say that? Embarrassing to be honest.

CMurdoch
20-06-2021, 10:16 AM
Not sure what the point of them is.
They tell me what I have just witnessed. There is no insight that I haven't made myself.
I only really enjoy them when they take the piss out of each other I.e. entertainment.
Massive waste of money.

EI255
20-06-2021, 10:17 AM
Mark Lawrenson

What do i win ?Coathanger mooth Lawrenson

Crunchie
Did she say that? Embarrassing to be honest.

Exactly, others have been emptied for less

EI255
Emma Hayes is the best pundit we have on tv now. Excellent. Wipes the floor with anyone else currently broadcasting.She's awful!

JimBHibees
20-06-2021, 10:19 AM

Is Emma a co commentator or pundit? Don't think I have seen her much.

JimBHibees
20-06-2021, 10:20 AM
I didn’t know who it was but he caught my attention when he said mobileness 😂

I laughed at that also. :faf:

Since90+2
20-06-2021, 10:23 AM
Exactly, others have been emptied for less

Behave. It was in reply to the first line of the posters response to me.

This would become the most sanitised forum on the web if you were banned for saying nonsense.

JimBHibees
20-06-2021, 10:25 AM
Emma Hayes: ‘Poland have moved their midfield line forward 10 yards allowing them to dominate 2nd phases of play, Slovakia’s AMIDs now have a large gap to cover in transitions putting pressure on the team, Lewandowski has to cover the pivot.’

Danny Murphy: ‘He kick ball hard!’

Not sure Danny was as insightful as that last night. :greengrin

JimBHibees
20-06-2021, 10:29 AM
Behave. It was in reply to the first line of the posters response to me.

This would become the most sanitised forum on the web if you were banned for saying nonsense.

I thought he meant Emma saying that about Germany if she did I never saw it. Very xenophobic if true. Imagine a Scot saying that about England or other way round. Very poor if true.

Since90+2
20-06-2021, 10:33 AM
I thought he meant Emma saying that about Germany if she did I never saw it. Very xenophobic if true. Imagine a Scot saying that about England or other way round. Very poor if true.

Yes, think you are correct I've picked it up wrong.

Crunchie
20-06-2021, 10:33 AM

That’s exactly what I meant👍

LeithMike
20-06-2021, 12:11 PM
I think there is usually a lot more insight on the radio. Radio 5 always have excellent commentators and analysis. John Murray is my favourite commentator these days and it's good listening to Neil Lennon and Chris Waddle.

In terms of tv, its still enjoyable listening to Souness and Neville but it looks like the lifespan of commentstors and analysts is a lot shorter which is a shame as guys like Bobby Robson and Ron Atkinson were always worth listening to well into their old age. I also think Willie Miller offers a lot but know he gets slated on here.

It seems the new breed of analyst has to put on some kind of persona - cracking jokes or being controversial or coming out with some comments from.a coaching manual. Football's not a science and experience and insight count for a lot in my view.

Short answer to the question in the thread title though is Tom English.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

EdinMike
20-06-2021, 12:15 PM
I’ve usually just tuned into the games before KO, ignore HT and stop watching at FT.

Been one of the more enjoyable tournaments for me, sadly I still kinda listen during the game but that could be easily fixed !

The Baldmans Comb
20-06-2021, 12:55 PM
Micah Richards, he was a cracking player for Man City and Villa, got 12 or 13 England caps too. Retired at 31. I actually agreed with everything he said about Scotland v England.

None the wiser I am afraid. Never heard of him and I am surprised you understood a word he said in between the high pitched giggles and interruptions.

The problem for a lot of these pundits is Ferdinand is so experienced and relaxed and on the whole fair and knowledgeable that these one off guys just look so bad.

Hibernia&Alba
20-06-2021, 01:54 PM
Murphy said tonight that the penalty wasn't one and not even a free kick even though the defender stepped on the guys ankle, embarrassing.

I couldn't believe that. A nailed on penalty. Murphy said it shouldn't have have been given because the ball had gone before the foul (which he said wasn't even a foul). It doesn't matter if the ball had moved on; how can ex-player not know the rules?

Keith_M
20-06-2021, 01:58 PM
Ian Wright

SChibs
20-06-2021, 02:21 PM
I couldn't believe that. A nailed on penalty. Murphy said it shouldn't have have been given because the ball had gone before the foul (which he said wasn't even a foul). It doesn't matter if the ball had moved on; how can ex-player not know the rules?

It bewildered me. Its the definition of a late challenge and he studded him on the foot and ankle. Murphy claimed he made the most of it too. Strange strange take on it

Iain G
20-06-2021, 02:23 PM
None the wiser I am afraid. Never heard of him and I am surprised you understood a word he said in between the high pitched giggles and interruptions.

The problem for a lot of these pundits is Ferdinand is so experienced and relaxed and on the whole fair and knowledgeable that these one off guys just look so bad.

Rio Ferdinand's beard freaks me out!

MWHIBBIES
20-06-2021, 02:42 PM

Very much disliked at Villa.

tamig
20-06-2021, 02:53 PM
I think there is usually a lot more insight on the radio. Radio 5 always have excellent commentators and analysis. John Murray is my favourite commentator these days and it's good listening to Neil Lennon and Chris Waddle.

In terms of tv, its still enjoyable listening to Souness and Neville but it looks like the lifespan of commentstors and analysts is a lot shorter which is a shame as guys like Bobby Robson and Ron Atkinson were always worth listening to well into their old age. I also think Willie Miller offers a lot but know he gets slated on here.

It seems the new breed of analyst has to put on some kind of persona - cracking jokes or being controversial or coming out with some comments from.a coaching manual. Football's not a science and experience and insight count for a lot in my view.

Short answer to the question in the thread title though is Tom English.

Agreed. I listen to 5 Live all the time and most of the guys - and girls - are excellent. I’ve enjoyed NL during the tournament as well. The European football guys are really good entertainment with some great stories.

tamig
20-06-2021, 03:01 PM
Very much disliked at Villa.

Is that right? He seems to be well in with a lot of the guys at Villa - including Grealish, McGinn and quite a few of their former players. Doesn’t seem to stack up with your statement.

MWHIBBIES
20-06-2021, 03:19 PM
Is that right? He seems to be well in with a lot of the guys at Villa - including Grealish, McGinn and quite a few of their former players. Doesn’t seem to stack up with your statement.

I believe so, among fans at least. Took a wage for 3 years without kicking a ball. Was awful when he played.

Tully
20-06-2021, 04:38 PM
John hartson is murder

Iain G
20-06-2021, 04:44 PM
John hartson is murder

Yeah was gonna post the same, said a few times how happy he was with the formation and now he is pointing out why it isn't working

Hibernia&Alba
20-06-2021, 04:58 PM
In my humble opinion, most of the pundits and co-commentators are poor: Keown, Murphy, Dixon, Hartson, Wright. All really bad.

Lago
20-06-2021, 05:05 PM
To be honest I don't get overly upset about the commentators or co-commentators, I watch the game as if I was at ER, I don't want anyone sitting next to me giving me a running commentary, although I once had to suffer it for a season till I moved seats 😊

JimBHibees
20-06-2021, 05:11 PM
John hartson is murder

Agree said Allen got the ball for the free kick leading to the goal was nowhere near it. You do get the impression a lot get the job on their name without either having the communication skills to do it or doing the research into other teams players tactics etc to pull it off.

Iain G
20-06-2021, 05:15 PM
Agree said Allen got the ball for the free kick leading to the goal was nowhere near it. You do get the impression a lot get the job on their name without either having the communication skills to do it or doing the research into other teams players tactics etc to pull it off.

It's like they are trying to out-Welsh the BBC who have Robbie Savage 😁

BILLYHIBS
20-06-2021, 05:16 PM
That’s only a booking - John Hartson

Naw it’s a sending off

He was miles late and and he stamped on his ankle

J-C
20-06-2021, 05:18 PM
That’s only a booking - John Hartson

Naw it’s a sending off

He was miles late and and he stamped on his ankle

So why was the guy against Spain not sent off for the penalty, same challenge.

jacomo
20-06-2021, 05:23 PM
John hartson is murder

:agree:

Watching Italy v Wales right now and totally agree with you. The guys a moron.

Is It On....
20-06-2021, 05:24 PM

Lineker, Shearer...dreadful bores

jacomo
20-06-2021, 05:26 PM
In my humble opinion, most of the pundits and co-commentators are poor: Keown, Murphy, Dixon, Hartson, Wright. All really bad.

Mark Lawrenson got pelters - rightly so - for his punditry but he was a good co-commentator, often picking up on things (such as a change of shape or tactics) not always obvious to those watching on tv. Exactly what a co-commentator should do.

BILLYHIBS
20-06-2021, 05:29 PM

Dunno

UEFA directive says them types of tackles are straight reds according to the ITV Ref advisor guy

JimBHibees
20-06-2021, 05:33 PM

Didn't see that as a red imo.

JimBHibees
20-06-2021, 05:34 PM
Mark Lawrenson got pelters - rightly so - for his punditry but he was a good co-commentator, often picking up on things (such as a change of shape or tactics) not always obvious to those watching on tv. Exactly what a co-commentator should do.

Always dragged any life out of the best game imo. Seemed like he hated to be there.

hibsbollah
20-06-2021, 05:37 PM
Always dragged any life out of the best game imo. Seemed like he hated to be there.

:agree: joyless. If he was Scottish he’d definitely be a Jambo.

JimBHibees
20-06-2021, 05:39 PM
:agree: joyless. If he was Scottish he’d definitely be a Jambo.

:agree:

Pretty Boy
20-06-2021, 05:39 PM
I think a lot of the older guys are just a bit out of date. Even someone who was slaying relatively recently like Shearer speaks like he is from a totally different era at times.

The game has changed and I'm not sure that guys like Lawrenson, Wright, Dixon, Keown and in Scotland Willie Miller are bringing much to the party. It's often cliche and outdated cliche at that.

I like Gary Neville. He talks well and you feel you can learn something from him. As others have said Emma Hayes is decent as well. It's interesting listening to a current manager who isn't talking in that non talking way managers do when discussing their own side. She is a well educated coach who is a contemporary of the people she is talking about in terms of when she gained her qualifications.

The worst of the lot has to be Danny Murphy though. His job is quite literally to travel the world every couple of years to watch major football tournaments. He has absolutely no enthusiasm for it, states the obvious and sounds like he would rather be anywhere else.

EI255
20-06-2021, 05:53 PM
John robertson

Key West
20-06-2021, 05:57 PM
Football speak is becoming like politics you can find a positive out of every negative.

The dalmeny
20-06-2021, 06:10 PM

Richards is the best all round pundit on the tv at the moment, he can write his own contract length. No sure how you’re working out he’s a one off

Lancs Harp
20-06-2021, 06:36 PM
Mark Lawrenson

What do i win ?

Totally

Shrekko
20-06-2021, 06:38 PM
Richards is the best all round pundit on the tv at the moment, he can write his own contract length. No sure how you’re working out he’s a one off

I’ve never heard him say anything insightful ever and he can be fairly incoherent at times.

Seems to be living off his crazy laugh (at anything) and supposed funny banter with Roy Keane.

Awful.

B.H.F.C
20-06-2021, 06:43 PM
I’ve never heard him say anything insightful ever and he can be fairly incoherent at times.

Seems to be living off his crazy laugh (at anything) and supposed funny banter with Roy Keane.

Awful.

Agree with this. What surprises me most is that Roy Keane actually seems to like him, given that Roy Keane doesn’t particularly like anyone, really.

Lancs Harp
20-06-2021, 06:45 PM
Agree with this. What surprises me most is that Roy Keane actually seems to like him, given that Roy Keane doesn’t particularly like anyone, really.

:greengrin made me laugh.

Roy Keane shaves in the morning, looks at himself in the mirror and mutters w****r

edit to add bad example hes got a beard, I clearly meant his legs.

The Baldmans Comb
20-06-2021, 07:20 PM

I don't really watch the English TV channels hence he is very new and completely unknown to me but I am very surprised he is in such demand.

I caught up on the Keane thing and it just seems a vehicle for Keane with Richards being the straight man. Mostly drivel though I guess it pays well as its a clever sharp format at least.

If this guy Richards is the future though then its definitely back to the VPN for me but fortunately his ridiculous laugh and constant interruptions are easily avoided as there a lot of other pundits well worth listening to especially some of the English women.

ekhibee
21-06-2021, 12:00 AM

Awful.

They're on different channels, Keane's on ITV, Richard's is on BBC. He was rightfully taking the mic out of Ferdinand for saying that England would put at least 2 past Scotland. Roy Keane was on ITV with Souness.

AliboyFC
21-06-2021, 12:14 PM
Rio ferdinand end of.

AliboyFC
21-06-2021, 12:15 PM
Why did northern hibby get banned? Damn I have missed loads.

Shrekko
21-06-2021, 11:45 PM
They're on different channels, Keane's on ITV, Richard's is on BBC. He was rightfully taking the mic out of Ferdinand for saying that England would put at least 2 past Scotland. Roy Keane was on ITV with Souness.

They appear on Sky together.

Brizo
22-06-2021, 05:07 AM
Football punditry has become a full-blown industry and it's replaced opening a pub or driving a taxi as most ex-players' career choice. There appears to be a lot less training needed than those occupations as most are slaisters and any media training they've had isn't apparent from their TV or radio performances.

Potential tin helmet time but I've enjoyed Graeme Souness putting the "footballs coming home" brigade in their place during these Euros. It only needs him to look at Gary Neville and co with a look of disbelief/disdain and a few well-chosen words to put them firmly back in their box.

JimBHibees
22-06-2021, 05:49 AM
Football punditry has become a full-blown industry and it's replaced opening a pub or driving a taxi as most ex-players' career choice. There appears to be a lot less training needed than those occupations as most are slaisters and any media training they've had isn't apparent from their TV or radio performances.

Potential tin helmet time but I've enjoyed Graeme Souness putting the "footballs coming home" brigade in their place during these Euros. It only needs him to look at Gary Neville and co with a look of disbelief/disdain and a few well-chosen words to put them firmly back in their box.

Yep Souness has been very good. Get the impression Neville and Keane probably annoyed him on Sky when they were revelling and double teaming him with Liverpools poor defence of the title. Neville in particular needs put in his place at times as although knowledgeable does imo take himself too serious at times and doesn't mind being a bit overly critical about other teams also. Him and Keane description of Netherlands being a shambles in the first game and having no chance of winning the tournament when De Jong was on an example of that.

Your description of punditry industry is spot on and so many ex pros whether good or bad will be making a decent living especially with the English premier having such worldwide coverage. BBC and itv seem fixated with having the big English names in the main rather than pundits who are good.

jacomo
22-06-2021, 06:41 AM
Yep Souness has been very good. Get the impression Neville and Keane probably annoyed him on Sky when they were revelling and double teaming him with Liverpools poor defence of the title. Neville in particular needs put in his place at times as although knowledgeable does imo take himself too serious at times and doesn't mind being a bit overly critical about other teams also. Him and Keane description of Netherlands being a shambles in the first game and having no chance of winning the tournament when De Jong was on an example of that.

Your description of punditry industry is spot on and so many ex pros whether good or bad will be making a decent living especially with the English premier having such worldwide coverage. BBC and itv seem fixated with having the big English names in the main rather than pundits who are good.

Souness was hilarious at half time in the Denmark - Belgium game.

They were discussing whether de Bruyne could come on and change the game, but Souness dismissed this notion. Top players like him knew you couldn’t come back from an injury and just switch it back on again…

45 minutes later and everyone is raving about a MOTM second half performance from de Bruyne that changed the game… including Souness of course, who just tries to style it out and pretend he didn’t say the exact opposite earlier.

Most of the pundits, including him, seem to think that strongly held opinions = analysis. Very tedious.

DH1875
22-06-2021, 07:11 AM
I've changed my mind. Martin Keown for me now.

flash
22-06-2021, 07:53 AM
Not sure about the worst, several to choose from, but almost all the female analysts have been a breath of fresh air.
Rather than a laddish double act with the commentator they actually explain things from a tactical viewpoint and often point things out you would otherwise have missed.

heretoday
22-06-2021, 10:07 AM
Avoid pundits. They're all up their own fundaments.

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-06-2021, 10:31 AM
Punditry nowadays is just a tool to spin out 90 minutes to a few hours.

WestCoastHibby
22-06-2021, 09:27 PM
I think Shelley Kerr is "reeeaaally" great.
I am also a tad sarcastic

Logie Green
22-06-2021, 09:35 PM
Kevin Gallagher during tonight’s match - “Billy Gilmour is in the twilight of his career”. 🤦*♂️

J-C
22-06-2021, 09:36 PM
Kevin Gallagher during tonight’s match - “Billy Gilmour is in the twilight of his career”. 🤦*♂️

Why can't he say the word "down" properly, was doing my nut in.

hibsbollah
22-06-2021, 09:37 PM

You know what he meant though :agree:

With a few of them you don’t know what they are even trying to say…

Logie Green
22-06-2021, 09:47 PM
You know what he meant though :agree:

With a few of them you don’t know what they are even trying to say…

I’m not sure I do know what he meant but I know that what he said didn’t make sense!

gaz1875
22-06-2021, 09:50 PM
Jermaine Jenas for me can't hack him.

hibsbollah
22-06-2021, 09:54 PM
I’m not sure I do know what he meant but I know that what he said didn’t make sense!

‘Early dawn’ of his career is easily confused with ‘sunset’ or ‘twilight’. Especially if you’re not poetically minded :greengrin

I’m not sure why I’m defending the can’t

Logie Green
22-06-2021, 10:20 PM
‘Early dawn’ of his career is easily confused with ‘sunset’ or ‘twilight’. Especially if you’re not poetically minded :greengrin

I’m not sure why I’m defending the can’t

😂😂

At least he didn’t describe him as our ‘taliban’ instead of ‘talisman’ as Charlie Nicholas did with a player a few years ago.

BILLYHIBS
23-06-2021, 04:31 AM
Noticed that

Dearie me!

Still in nappies

heretoday
23-06-2021, 05:13 AM
I think he meant "dawn" - easily done!

Gallagher's got a weird voice though.

Peevemor
23-06-2021, 05:28 AM

Gallagher's got a weird voice though.I think he has a slight speech defect, the way he pronounces words like "down", "round", etc. I know 2 people (both women) who speak like that - one from Elgin and the other from Annan. Gallacher's from Clydebank so I think we can say that it's not an regional accent thing.

Anyway, that's the first time I've heard him as co-commentator and I thought he was awful. I want these guys to give me insight that I don't have, not just state the obvious.

One Day Soon
23-06-2021, 08:52 AM
😂😂

At least he didn’t describe him as our ‘taliban’ instead of ‘talisman’ as Charlie Nicholas did with a player a few years ago.

:faf: I do like Charlie Nicholas.

I thought Gordon Strachan was a really, really odd last night. You wonder if he's like that all the time in real life. It's almost like any question is an opportunity to be difficult or contrary.

LeithMike
23-06-2021, 09:35 AM
:faf: I do like Charlie Nicholas.

I thought Gordon Strachan was a really, really odd last night. You wonder if he's like that all the time in real life. It's almost like any question is an opportunity to be difficult or contrary.I think that's Gordon's persona. It worked well at Southampton (a relatively small club in Premiership terms) but really didnt work at Celtic where the fans didnt appreciate those mannerisms after a defeat, particularly in Europe.

I watched the ITV4 coverage at half-time and full-time which had Collins, Souness and Scott Brown. Souness was great. He was trying to be nice but couldnt help give his honest view of how disappointed he was. I think he got the right balance by being natural while othera try to be overly critical or defensive.

Andy74
23-06-2021, 10:24 AM

Gallagher's got a weird voice though.

Isn’t twilight just a description of a period between dark and light? So dawn would be a twilight in the same way as dusk.

Yellowcard
23-06-2021, 10:32 AM
Andy Walker.......

He might be more than the worst pundit, there is a very good chance he is the worst person with the ability to talk. Hates Hibs!

hibsbollah
23-06-2021, 02:33 PM
If we can include actual commentators, not pundits, the guy doing the Denmark Russia game (Guy Mowbray I think) came up with this gem ‘They like a good saga, the Danes, err…back in the Viking times, they like a story,the Danes. Well they’re certainly writing their own special story here!’ :rolleyes:

It’s the preparation he must have put into rehearsing that I can’t understand…

Peevemor
23-06-2021, 03:03 PM
If we can include actual commentators, not pundits, the guy doing the Denmark Russia game (Guy Mowbray I think) came up with this gem ‘They like a good saga, the Danes, err…back in the Viking times, they like a story,the Danes. Well they’re certainly writing their own special story here!’ :rolleyes:

It’s the preparation he must have put into rehearsing that I can’t understand…

Why do I want to say "aha"...?

heretoday
23-06-2021, 03:09 PM
I wish they'd ditch Richard Gordon. He seemed rather amused that Scotland had been knocked out.
I suppose it makes a story for him.

MKHIBEE
23-06-2021, 03:42 PM

I'm hunting high and low for an answer

blackpoolhibs
23-06-2021, 04:24 PM

Met him once, thought he was dull as dishwater, i wonder what his take on me was?

Crunchie
23-06-2021, 04:43 PM
Andy Walker.......

He might be more than the worst pundit, there is a very good chance he is the worst person with the ability to talk. Hates Hibs!
Not sure where the myth that he hates us comes from. I'll give you he's not a good co commentator though.

RyeSloan
23-06-2021, 08:06 PM
Isn’t twilight just a description of a period between dark and light? So dawn would be a twilight in the same way as dusk.

Astronomically speaking it’s factually correct.

Twilight is the name given to the light caused by the sun when it’s below the horizon. So occurs between dawn and sunrise as well as in the evening.

However, when talking about someone in the twilight of their career I’d argue that it’s accepted that it means the end rather than the beginning.

Maybe he has an astrology degree and simply can’t help but expand our knowledge? ;-)

Iggy Pope
24-06-2021, 08:18 PM
Astronomically speaking it’s factually correct.

Twilight is the name given to the light caused by the sun when it’s below the horizon. So occurs between dawn and sunrise as well as in the evening.

However, when talking about someone in the twilight of their career I’d argue that it’s accepted that it means the end rather than the beginning.

Maybe he has an astrology degree and simply can’t help but expand our knowledge? ;-)

He might well have but I’d hate to have to listen to him tell me about it.

CMurdoch
24-06-2021, 08:32 PM
Met him once, thought he was dull as dishwater, i wonder what his take on me was?

The singer in Aha or Steve Coogan?